[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Icewind Dale

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

why is it so much better than baldur's gate?

Also, how much should I powergame this? I'm a couple levels in and I'm not quite how ham i should go.
>>
>>386769446
Being able to customize/create your entire party for one.

Also it has a better setting/atmosphere.
>>
>>386769698
You're legit retarded, you can create a party in BG as well, plus it has a better setting than Icewind Dale considering it's a trilogy and that it's story focused while ID focuses on gameplay/combat.
>>
>>386770131
Icewind Dale lets you explore a world described in the Drizzt novels. And customize your WHOLE party from the beginning.
>>
>>386769446

Well, it's based less on your singular character, and gives you the freedom to ascribe whatever story to your party, which some people like. Also, powergame a lot. There's some pretty nasty baddies, traps, and effects, and you need your guys to be good at the things they do.
>>
>>386770297
>And customize your WHOLE party from the beginning.

You realize that you can set up a multiplayer game in BG and then make a whole party for singleplayer, right?
>>
>>386770297
>And customize your WHOLE party from the beginning.

You can create whole custom party in BG if you want. But you lose out on all the party member interactions/quests which are a major part of the game.
>>
>>386769446
because you prefer dungeon crawling over narrative.
>>
>>386769446
It's not though, characters don't banter.
>>
>>386769446
I've always preferred IWD to Baldurs gate.
According to other anons it's because IWD is heavily focused on combat and what not while BG is the more story focused of the two, and I can agree with that. I'm definitely more interested in combat. IWDs story is still decent though.
>>
>>386769446
We've been over this
>IWD - Best gameplay
>Planescape - Best written and the most choices
>BG - Balanced. Strong gameplay and story.
>>
>>386771684
>>386771684
I found the combat and dungeon crawl to be the same in both games it just seems like they had more development time with bg2 because the engine was already made. I think people who like icewind2 more just don't care for the party banter and they played it 1st so they are just nastalgic
>>
>>386769446
Always keep the fire element or acid handy, there are quite a few trolls in the early areas
>>
>>386769446
>Better than bauldur's gate
>Being literally retarded

IWD is a crpg that focuses on combat and combat is the worst part of crpgs. The reason why the genre is liked is because of the world building, characters, and quests.

>Being too autistic to understand this
>>
op here again.

I know IWD is gripping me by the balls and i'm some 12 hours deep and still loving the everliving shit out of it, meanwhile I've tried to play Baldur's Gate a half dozen times, and end up dropping it within 4 hours. The companions pretty much all suck at combat, the dialog is okay, but there's no plot hook.

Oh boy there's a serial murderer who wants you for some reason (I know why, but the lack of early in story infotmation makes me totally apathetic to him), and there's an iron shortage. Like what am I, an auditor? why the fuck do I care about iron and why should I deal with it.

BG, to me at least, is showing a massive lack of player interaction. there lacks player interaction in the story.

IWD's immediately 'get in faggot, we're going crusading'. There's an established, if vague, antagonist and a reason for the player to be involved with the story.

Does BG ever get better in terms of player interaction, or should i just play IWD and IWD2?
>>
>>386769446

IWD understands that c"RPG"s are squad tactics games with a narrative. Solid maps and encounter design. BG is just the genesis of the BioWare waifu sim genre, and as such is trash.
>>
>>386774481
It's nice skipping the hero's origin story for a change.
>>
File: 1483475838800.jpg (166KB, 927x859px) Image search: [Google]
1483475838800.jpg
166KB, 927x859px
>>386773932
>tfw too autistic to understand that people like the combat
>>
>>386769446
Icewind Dale 2 is extra comfy. Shame Beamdog can't remaster it as the source code is gone.
>>
>>386774481
BG1 is a very slow start to a very big saga that ends with you going toe to toe with really fucking overpowered shit that's miles ahead in powerlevel of anything in IWD.

I don't understand how you can say there's more interaction with the story in IWD than in BG. I like IWD for what it is but its story is lacking and the main characters are literal whos and I can't relate to any of them as they don't have any personality.

In BG you get to make choices and develop your character much more but also not nearly as well as in PS:T. That said there's no lack of interaction.
>>
>>386769446
this game was made for me, its the perfect crpg

just throw out all the story filler bullshit and make it back to back constant dungeon crawling gameplay with extremely well designed encounters and high replayability

god there needs to be more of these but after seeing how much of turds poe and tyranny were i dont want to see some shit developers making icewind dale 3 on unity
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvzhcHTsUaQ

Post soundtrack faggots
>>
>>386769446
Because you're an easily amused retard who love fighting trash mobs
>>
>>386775904
>unity
Stop blaming the game engine for choices the developer made.
>>
>>386776092
I may be a retard, but I'm not easily amused.
>>
>>386776092
>trash mob
>Goblin archer lands critical hit on wizard killing him one hit
>>
>>386776331
the games were shit regardless of the engine, i only mentioned unity because it would likely be developed on there making be twice as garbage
>>
>>386776516
Try putting the Wizard behind warriors
>>
>>386775702
more player interaction, not character interaction. Big difference.

As a player, IWD motivates me to care about whats going on. After Candlekeep, BG's plot drops off the face of the world. An iron shortage, really? why do I care as a player? And the companions are just kinda dull so far. None of them are even close to minmaxed, so unless you're playing with a save editor, good luck with the earlygame.

Then once I play another couple hours, the question of 'why am i playing?' comes up. and I dont have a good answer, so I drop the game. that happens every time.
>>
>>386776920
Exactly, I was responding to the other guy.
Something that dangerous isn't a trash mob. It's an assassination attempt.
>>
>>386777110
Goblins pose no threat though, unless you go full retard
>b-but they can kill my naked guy with 8 con so they're not shit
>>
>>386777480
...and by that point in the game you're not fighting many goblins, you move up to Lizard men, Bug Bears, trolls, frost giants..
>>
>>386777015
How about "keep playing to see where this is going" as an answer? If you don't like it then don't play it but there's enough reason to keep going at least once. Personally I don't want to replay BG1 because it was somewhat dull most of the time but I still think it was a good start for this story. BG2 is a vast improvement in literally all aspects from it and you should definitely play that. But to enjoy the story more you need to play BG1 first. Nobody forces you to do all sidequests, just power through main plot and you'll be fine.

As for the story you care because someone clearly very powerful wants you dead despite you being just a peasant and you get some weird ass dreams and powers that all point to something greater than you thought.

The companions are what they are for now but everyone will tell you that companion banter is one of the biggest reasons why BG2 was so good.
>>
Seeing as this is pretty close to a CRPG thread...

How do you guys get over the slump when you start a CRPG and constantly second guess your character build and decisions?
>>
>>386778008
I just stop playing and eventually uninstall the game months later.
>>
>>386778008
Deal and move on, realizing that fuckups are part of a story, or reroll.
>>
>>386778008
Is it your first time playing? Just go with whatever, you don't need to minmax like a faggot. If anything you literally can't minmax before you get to know the game so unless you want to use guides it's impossible to make a perfect character. Treat your playthrough as part of minmaxing, i.e. getting to know the environment. THEN you can minmax.
>>
>>386778008
The only time you'll actually have to seriously consider your build is if you're playing as a Sorcerer.
>>
>>386778008
Can always just cheat you know. It's not a big deal.
>>
It's amazing how many people find the first BG dull and get discouraged from playing it.

I'm one of those people.

Have played BGII, thought it was great.

BUT

ID is certainly not to be belittled by those retarded "but-mah-story"-fags tho.
It offers things that BG is not. Atmosphere, immersion at the cold wilderness, exploring and more.
>>
>>386777831
>Zerg the main quest and rush into BG2
Thats actually not a bad idea. Early DnD campaigns are hot trash usually, midgame is when it gets good. I might save edit and minmax stat, classes, and kits for the canon companions as well. If I don't think its fun, lets just make it fun I suppose.

Outside of main quest, what are the 'must see' objectives in the first game? Durlag's Tower and what else?
>>
>>386769446
It's most certainly not, still a good game though with great atmosphere.
The soundtrack is nice too, although that might just be because I hadn't grown tired of Soule's music yet.

Also a great ending twist.
>>
>>386778941
Arguably IWD2 had better soundtrack that was not composed by Soule actually.

The atmosphere in both games is 10/10 though, that winter vibe is still the standard to which I compare similar settings. Skyrim doesn't even come close to the comfy ice of Shaengarne or Auril's Temple.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.