[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly is the problem with most open world games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (165KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
165KB, 1280x720px
What exactly is the problem with most open world games?
>>
nothing
>>
they are not the witcher 4, gta 6 or red dead redemption 2.
>>
>>386758682
Mountains of tedious filler.
>>
only one of them is truly open
>>
They very quickly devolve into chasing markers on the map. Their content fills a laundry list of activities that usually boils down activating something at a location, visiting a location, or fighting something in a location, and none of those activities are usually very fulfilling because they have to smear dozens of those instances across the huge open world.
>>
>>386758682
Nothing fun to do in the actual wilderness, which is why the only fun open world in an open world game is GTA since you've got the modern world to cause havoc in
>>
>>386758682
Very few games ever do it right
>>
No one wants to make a lovingly handcrafted world with well thought out placed loot that makes exploration and discovery a joy.
>>
>>386760296
Just cause 3 lets you have plenty of fun anywhere you can get a vehicle, which includes most of its wilderness.
>>
>>386760494
nintendo already did
>>
>>386760546
Is JC3 worth the play? I haven't played 2 either. Should I play both in order?
>>
>>386760717
Play 2 ignore 3.
>>
They're boring checklist simulators.
>>
File: 1502376383131.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px)
1502376383131.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>386758682
Too many of them have too much space with too little reward. No Mans Sky being the most exaggerated example.

In games like The Witcher 3 players have something unique to interact with very often across the map, but you can still find large expanses of nothing (barring eye candy.)

Breath Of The Wild to me feels like babies first Witcher game, but in an incredible way, they almost bombard you with chests and rewards and with the (somewhat aggravating) way the weapon durability system is implemented it often makes finding even half decent weapons feel very rewarding for early-mid game.

In GTA5 the world looks alive, in The Witcher 3 and Zelda: BOTW the world feels alive and that is an important difference, granted GTA5 makes up for this in their own ways.

Something resembling a living world is getting easier and easier for game companies to make, but designing a world that truly feels alive, like it's moving around you is going to be an incredibly important factor going forward for open world games.
>>
File: Todd Howard.jpg (720KB, 2696x4044px) Image search: [Google]
Todd Howard.jpg
720KB, 2696x4044px
>>386758682
No content/boring content.
>>386759019
Are they climbable?
>>
Nothing.
The only problem games are Witcher 3 and GTA V which rely solely on quests to pad out the world and hide the fact there's nothing in them. GTA V is better in that the missions are actually unique, can't say the same for Witcher.

You want open world done right look at Skyrim or something, plenty of unique unmarked locations, elevations and landscape differences, environmental diversity and random encounters to make the world more lively.
>>
>>386759062
And it's as empty as it's soul.
>>
>>386760940
Yes, and the higher you climb, the more empty space you can see. And when you get to the top, your reward is Todd telling you to buy his new game.
>>
Gothic 1 had the coolest world imo. Wish more games would have a "prison colony" atmosphere where you spend most of the game as a weak little bitch. Its the sense of danger and cunning ways around that danger which makes it fun.
>>
Personally I find them overwhelming and inherently less approachable. I tried playing Witcher 3 and just kinda stopped after seeing how long it took to see everything in the first village alone.
I think my favorite game worlds are ones like Zelda, Metroidvania and Arkham where you have a small semiopen space with clear goals and boundaries.
>>
>>386758682
Many open world games lately have also been fairly story heavy games
So the main problem with them is progression and pacing
"Oh our hero! Please come save the world! Hurry!!"
-"okay let me go kill a million miles first for exp so I can get through to the end game"
>>
>>386761085
games don't have souls
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.