[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I buy this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Been enjoying playing fps games again for the first time in years. Doom has been enjoyable, wolvenstien was a bit meh. This looks good but never see it discussed here. Is it worth a play for someone who enjoys run and gun style shooters and doesn't give a fuck about story.
>>
File: AngelsEgg.jpg (151KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
AngelsEgg.jpg
151KB, 1280x720px
>>386745705
Do you enjoy super-fast, super mobile arena-shooting with good gunplay and some E.Y.E. and Painkiller-esque undertones, with huge variety of enemies, weapons, approaches, and can swallow down repetition of levels?

Do you enjoy spending 10+ minutes autisticaly micromanaging updates, statistic spreadsheets and arbitary rulesets in order to actually make sure your guns are running at full potential and not underpowered in between ever level?

Unless your answer is YES to BOTH, I'm afraid you probably won't love the game.
Because sadly, while this game can be really fun if you learn how to get the most of your gear management - if you don't, then you'll end up either very frustrated with the so called "bulletsponge" enemies and weapons feelling underpowered, or you'll be forced to play the game on lower difficulty which takes away a lot from the experience.

Personally, I loved it. But I am an actual minority. Most people will not even begin understanding how the gear upgrade work, because it's not straight-forward at all, and they will just get frustrated and leave.
And I can't even blame them.
>>
Anyone played it?
>>
>>386746330
First part sounds great.
Done my share of autistic management of gear in other games but not sure how that would play out in a shooter. Thank you for telling me about that, I knew it had a gear grind aspect but had no idea it was such a prominent part of the gameplay. Seems like a weird mix.
>>
>increase elemental damage by 1.35%
>spend 2 minutes fucking around with the UI upgrading item

not very satisfying gameplay
>>
>>386745705

they ruined the fucking game with stats, random drops, fetch quests level ups and bullet sponge enemies.

hope you like Borderlands, feels very similiar.
>>
i played the first game on pc, played it nearly till the end but it was very boring and i didnt like the environments at all. 2 looks better to me especially regarding weapon variety and the level design, how much of an improvement is it?
>>
>>386746550
>but not sure how that would play out in a shooter.
It's really weird. I found it incredibly compelling because after those fucking twenty minutes of tinkering what really looks like SUPRE-DULL stats that don't seem to change anything major, you'll be rewarded with discovering that actually, the impact on the immediate action is massive.
And that is really fucking great. When you get the hang of it and start building weird experimental arsenals, and then see them actually fucking WORK and immediately impact the combat - without the combat being fast and feeling skill-based - that was one of the best feelings I had experiecend in a shooter in a good while.

But... getting there can be painful. One thing I can tell you (this is the most common misunderstanding with this game):
The point is not in upgrading individual weapon, but in actually upgrading an arsenal: having multiple weapons specialized for different PARTS of encounters, and switching between them consistently in mid-fight.
The big mistake a lot of players do is that they think the point is to get one or maybe two weapons as to be as strong as possible. While in reality it's about having five or six extremely situational weapons and knowing how alter between them on almost second-by-second basis in the battles.

Also, FUCK DPS. DPS is a worthless stat.

>knew it had a gear grind aspect but had no idea it was such a prominent part of the gameplay
On any difficult above normal it's really big. Though it's not technically speaking GRIND. You don't really ever have to grind for anything, the game is stupidly generous with drops, and the drops are not actually straight-up upgrades most of the time. It is a really weird mix.

It's clever. But weird as fuck and difficult to sell. And extremely poorly explained in the game.
>>
>>386746330

>Because sadly, while this game can be really fun if you learn how to get the most of your gear management - if you don't, then you'll end up either very frustrated with the so called "bulletsponge" enemies and weapons feelling underpowered, or you'll be forced to play the game on lower difficulty which takes away a lot from the experience.

Ah did you play the game? or the better question is why are you playing insane 7 tire with grey upgrades

Pro tip: you need like one or two min to manage upgrades every perheps two tires tahts some 20-30 levels. The only thing that will take longer is going for epic combination like a GL that can fire per shot 20 and some graneds that are going to carte blizzards, and many more stupid fun combos
>>
> movement and combat is stellar
> it's gorgeous audio/visual-wise (except for the menu design which looks like an early 2000 website)
> story is pants on head retarded both in content and the way it's delivered
> the substitute for based Broji is obnoxious
> random nature of maps, drops and enemy/item placement nearly kills the game
>>
>>386745705
Moving, shooting and using melee weapons feels really good so it's definitely fun to play but the game also can get boring really quickly if you don't like the loot aspect, the bullet sponge enemies and the semi-randomly generated maps.

There are only like 5 actual different locations in the game and you see a lot of repetition from mission to mission because the maps are made up of the same areas that are just randomly put together each time.
>>
>>386747012
They did not really ruin anything.
Also, it feels NOTHING like Borderlands, and has no bullet sponges. And "fetchquests" are also an idea that makes FUCK ALL SENSE in what is an arena shooter.

>>386747039
Levels are combination of both AWFUL and great. Mechanically they are great in that they are very large, completely open and non-linear, and have a great degree of verticality to them. Where the first game let you run around small claustrophobic rooms in circles, this gives you a huge arena and aerial dash and double jumps that essentially work like jet-pack meets blink from Dishonored.
And the levels - most of them at least, are entirely designed around super-mobile, super fast and very vertical freedom of movement.

So that is an improvement.

The problem, on the other hand is, that they have like seven of them, each designed as a small arena where they randomly re-distribute random objectives and make you go through them over and over and over again on a semi-random basis.

Which means that A) you'll replay the same levels sometimes up to six or seven fucking times over the course of singular campaign, and B) the levels don't have any interesting progression to them, which means there is no atmosphere to them.
They are just that - pure arenas in which they randomize enemies and goals and loot.

Also, the game generally overhauls just ALL aspects of the first game so much that it's barely recognizable. Basically the only thing that is really the same between the first and second game is melee combat (more-or-less) and main protagonist. Everything else is very, very different.
It's not easy to say if it's for the better of or worse.
>>
>>386747042
>Also, FUCK DPS. DPS is a worthless stat.

And deceiving on top of that.
The DPS value is the largest number on the weapon status screen, making you think it's the most important one, but it means jack shit in this game since unlike Diablo or the like accuracy is (mainly) based on your own skill.
Who cares if an SMG has a DPS of 354 if each bullet does only five points of damage and you only hit with one out of ten?
Meanwhile the actual damage value is slapped into the list of effects and attributes.
>>
>>386747550
>he levels don't have any interesting progression to them, which means there is no atmosphere to them.

What I always wondered: does the map-chunk pool increase with every new level, are there some "rare" ones that only occasionally appear or did they add new ones in an update?
I recently replayed it again and I ended up areas I've never seen before in the later levels.
>>
>>386747583
>And deceiving on top of that.
Yeah, the way the game communicates these things is god damn awful.
DPS also accounts for things like in-between-shots cooldowns (which can be extremely long with things like double-shot shotgun). Except those cool-downs run even when the gun isn't equipped. Meaning that a tripple-shot shot-gun with 4 second cooldown will display 200 DPS (making it seem like it's kinda weak), but the reality is that you shoot it once for 800 fucking damage, then you switch to another weapon, keep on dishing out damage, switch back five second laters and your are good to fire again, making it unbelivably powerful.

>>386747823
Map pool increases with progression through the main story, but some maps are rare and you might actually miss them on a singular playthrough, and also some new chunks were added in updates.
It's a weird system. I particularly fucking hate how it has bias towards later-part-pool maps in late-game. Remember that one cyberpunk city map with a lot of verticality that actually isn't modular at all? You first visit it as part of the story mission where you talk to the propaganda-god for the first time...

Well, I played through that mission about eight or nine times. And I wasn't grinding - I just did all the side missions.
Fuck that map, and fuck the map-selection system.
I love the game, but FUCK. THAT.
>>
>>386748563
>Remember that one cyberpunk city map with a lot of verticality that actually isn't modular at all?

You mean the one with the tons of little fruit and vegetables shops that give me a mean physics-boner whenever I toss a grenade into them?

If I hate two map parts in the game it'd be the small village with a field on a hill in front of it and Xing's TV tower - Jesus Christ was the latter one obnoxious and IIRC you HAVE to climb that thing at least three or four times with sidequests included.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.