[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much would it cost to make a AAA 6th-gen equivalent game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

How much would it cost to make a AAA 6th-gen equivalent game in this day and age? What tools were used to make games around that time, and would modern tools make it easier? This goes for PS2/Gamecube/Xbox.
>>
>>386742050
Anywhere next to nothing to multiple million dollars. Majority of the budgets these days tend to go to marketing, outsourcing, hiring actors, etc - shit has totally blown out of hand in recent years.

Meanwhile, some sub-20 man "AA" studios, like Croteam, release almost AAA quality games with much more innovative and/or fun gameplay and tons of options/mod support/MP/ etc on top, with mere 500k dollar budgets.
>>
>>386742050
people actually cared about attention to detail back then so it would probably cost billions to reproduce or to find someone qualified enough with today's devs.
>>
>>386742050
Probably what Kojima tried to do with MGSV and then Konami cut him short because he was getting overambitious.
>>
File: SH3 PC - Heather pomf.jpg (617KB, 3810x1725px) Image search: [Google]
SH3 PC - Heather pomf.jpg
617KB, 3810x1725px
>>386743846
...and what comes to the tools and shit, Softimage was already used in early 00s to make models. At least Silent Hill 2's assets were made with it.

In general, early 00s tools barely differs from modern standards; 3DS Max, Photoshop, etc, were already industry standards back in the day. The main limiting factor was the target hardwares and their own quirks.
>>
>>386743984
This post gave me cancer
>>
>>386743984
This is unfortunately too close to the truth.
Evidence #1 ...
>>
File: 1502309158527.png (28KB, 773x739px) Image search: [Google]
1502309158527.png
28KB, 773x739px
>>386745418
...and #2, though it touches more on the technological requirements / expectations, which does reflect on budgets too.

tl;dr: making an AAA game is getting more and more ridiculous. It's the small, friendly teams who can and dare to take "risks" like these nowadays.
>>
>>386744512
About that, should we blame Kojima for this fuckup, or is Konami in the wrong?

Also what do you think about MG Survive being yet another MGS5 add-on?
>>
>>386745418
>>386745525
I find it hilarious that the major success of one game (COD4) single handledly lead to this state of affairs, despite the fact that COD4 itself had a comparatively modest budget compared to most AAA games.

Once again, shareholders who don't understand the arts or the creative process behind them, end up ruining the arts.
>>
>>386743984
what's wrong with "today's devs" again?
>>
>>386746168
I would say both. Kojima for being a literal madman (albeit in a good way) but also Konami for corporate jew cucks.

I hate giving Konami my money but I will probably end up getting Survive anyway just for more Fox Engine gameplay
>>
>>386745418
>>386745525

I sincerely believe budgets are getting out of hand.

If budgets keep increasing it will eventually become a very risky business investment. These ludicrous budgets are giving the developers less and less creative input and increasing the chances of tanking the developers if they should not meet a specific sales target.

I get the feeling the industry, specifically the AAA, is pushing itself into a corner. At some point we'll reach such extreme graphical fidelity that any visual advances will be minuscule.

And when they reach that peak, then what? - What happens if they main selling point and wow factor of your games suddenly stagnates?

I guess, it has more to do with the fact that Sony, for example, is a hardware company first, and game publisher/developer somewhere lower down the ladder. Which means they have to keep pushing new technology.
>>
At most as much as it used to, but surely less.

Plenty software things are more streamlined and quite affordable to licence, as for graphics, tools got better, so you could get something better for less money. When it comes to writing, world, level and sound design, it'd be pretty much the same thing.

Now the big difference is, dev teams today are bloated as fuck, and quite inefficient. But for competent, well-directed, well-managed people, that shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>386748223

They're likely over-manned because the publishers want equal, or higher, quality faster. In returning turning studios into factory assembly lines.
>>
>>386747242
They're not even good at their job, they just get hired on for social points
>>
>>386748646
That reminds me of a story of an old vidya dev from the early days. He applied at a modern studio, and when asked what he did before, he said he worked on programming the engine, writing music, sound design, gameplay balancing, level design, writing quests, testing, making the UI, inventory system, AI... and they were completely lost, because they had entire teams dedicated to pointless shit, like picking the right colors for the buttons on the UI.

The biggest issue is they sanitize everything they do to avoid any kind of legal issue with licencing rights, cultural clashes and stuff. Like studios pretty much banned the green color for UI stuff because it offends muslims, or avoid the depiction of meat in games so it doesn't offend Indians and vegetarians. And now they tackle the "whiteness" and "maleness" issue of their games.

The fun part is how multiculturalism and feminism bullshit in video games is directly tied to what's been killing video games for a decade.
>>
>>386748651
That's how it is with every big corporation
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.