[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did Dynasty Warriors go so wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

When did Dynasty Warriors go so wrong?
>>
when they started to make it about "WOW u kill like a BILLION GUYS xDDd D!!"
>>
>>386736941
As a longtime DW fan, the biggest problem is that each game has a few good ideas and a few bad ideas, but they never seem to carry all of the good ideas between games.

>>386737002
Also this. All of the extra combat options in the newer games are cool, but they find redunant when you can wipe out 200+ peons every time you press the attack button, and the only challenge is a certain roach at Hulao.
>>
Are the ps2 games any good? I never played DW.
>>
>>386738460
Very good, 3 has the cheesiest voice acting ever seen in games.

If you're getting 4 though, grab the PC version. Better AI and more enemies on screen.
>>
>>386738460
DW3 is probably the best starting point.
You can skip 2, as 3 does everything better.
4 has really annoying AI, and the morale system is out of wack, but it does also have some interesting what-if stages.
5 is better than 3 for the most part, but lacks challenge unless you play on Chaos.
6 is available for PS2, but it runs like shit.
>>
>>386737651
I remember in 6 or 7 I can't quite remember every once in a while you'd be challenged to a duel by a(n) officer(s) you meet in a base and troops would make a ring around you and do their best to knock you back in if you got too close to the edge and it made you use some of the grab and toss moves they added to the movesets. Cool stuff like that really stands out in the different games but often gets left out of any sequels seems to be the running theme.
>>
>>386738460
Play Warrior Orochi Z
>>
>>386739065
Yeah, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about.
4 had duels (but they kinda sucked), 5 dropped them, 6 brought them back in a much better format, and 7 dropped them again.
5 had this cool mechanic where there's always one enemy officer who goes 'final boss mode' if you're playing the last stage of a character's story mode, but again, they've never reused this.
>>
Anyone else hate how they removed troops for yourself? I liked that and it helped on higher difficulties.
>>
When it was created and people ate it up.
>>
File: Fa.Zheng.full.1748130.jpg (287KB, 600x850px) Image search: [Google]
Fa.Zheng.full.1748130.jpg
287KB, 600x850px
>>386736941

>implying it hasn't escalated in quality since 6
>>
>>386739764
DW8XL brings them back (at least for the extra mode). Can hire any officier in the game, even the main characters.
>>
File: 1sbvNoy.gif (2MB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1sbvNoy.gif
2MB, 1200x675px
>>386736941
Well, i found GBA one at least interesting and a good one, also i liked 8 a lot, it killed my boredom at full the last summer.
>>
When they started splitting the team between DW, SW, and a billion spin-offs and collaboratoin projects.
>>
6, obviously. It was so poorly-received that Koei panicked and decided the most adventurous thing they'd do was incorporate Jin into the narration.
Characterizations were pretty rolled back as the roster got too fucking hueg. Many characters who were once well fleshed out were turned into 2D morons. Incidentally one of the few archlich complaints I agree with.
>>
>>386741393
It's a shame, because 6 had a lot of cool ideas, but they were buried under the complaints about weapon/moveset changes and Liu Bei losing his facial hair.
>>
>>386740016
Overall it's gotten more mainstream appeal, especially since 7 had such a good way of telling the story.
But like others have said, it takes one step forward and drops cool features. There's no good reason why the AI should be as dumb as it is in the current games when the earlier ones actually challenged you (sometimes)
>soldiers actually attack you with combos
>officers attack often instead of just blocking and can restore health when they knock you down
>musou attack wasn't ridiculously overpowered
>motherfucking archers

9 looks okay so far but I seriously doubt Koei can do a good job of making good, large scale battlefields on an even bigger world map.
I expect it to return to its familiar playstyle and closed-world stage format after this one.
>>
musou should've died before it was born
>>
Make way for the best song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I84Bd7EHd8
>>
>>386741845
Hefei is ALWAYS awesome. Based Wenyuan.
>>
File: Sunxs.jpg (82KB, 777x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Sunxs.jpg
82KB, 777x1024px
Most of the costume changes are hit and miss, but some are really good. Pic related being a miss. Really didn't like her design in 6.
>>
File: Ayane-ssxoutfit.jpg (148KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
Ayane-ssxoutfit.jpg
148KB, 750x750px
>>386742435
That outfit worked a lot better in Ninja Gaiden.
>>
>>386742801
Well maybe because ayane
>>
>>386742801
The hair color doesn't match the rest of the outfit making it look off.
>>
>>386736941
3, 4 and 5 were improvements compared to the previous game but from 6 and onwards it just felt the same,i miss things like having your own troops and having ultimate weapons that you had to do specific things for, also characters felt unique but now the roster is so big now that some play almost entirely the same and the new ones are to easy.
>>
hey, is there a download for the various dynasty warriors soundtracks? we all love the music.
>>
File: Himiko_-_WO3_Render.png (427KB, 544x769px) Image search: [Google]
Himiko_-_WO3_Render.png
427KB, 544x769px
>Warriors Orochi
Yay or nay?
>>
>>386744782
>having ultimate weapons that you had to do specific things for,
That never left
>>
>>386745103
I've never played it but apparently Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is the best musou game because of all the content
>the most characters (something like 100), spanning across different franchises, not just DW and Samurai Warriors
>customizable stages that you can download from other players
>Gauntlet mode
>>
>>386741845
Not Eve, battle of Changban
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAs7dk_E5jg
>>
>You flaming idiots!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xuIzSDaA5I
>>
>>386745359
>tfw there will never be a Musou game to end all antagonizing playerbases by taking representatives from each franchise to create one giant clusterfuck of Musou where Cao Cao can meet Ezio and Mario
>>
>>386745185
They had them in DW8, but they were kinda pointless because you could make much stronger weapons via Ambition Mode.

>>386745672
Musou All Stars could've been this, but there were heaps of non-Musou characters that no-one outside of Japan had heard of, yet no Cao Cao or regular Nobunaga.
>>
File: he qi.png (2MB, 720x1030px) Image search: [Google]
he qi.png
2MB, 720x1030px
He Qi fucking WHEN?
>>
Why does the world of DW9 seem so fucking empty from all of the trailers?
>>
>>386747801
It's a work in progress (tm)
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (171KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
171KB, 1440x1080px
>>386738818
>and the morale system is out of wack

Reminder that the game shipped with this stage intact as it was.
>>
I wish they still dubbed the games.
>>
What new characters do you want to see?
>>
>>386745496
DW4 isn't my favorite, but it does have the best guitar solo in the franchise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpgYwVGcCU
>>
>>386745635
DW3 will never not be the best one.
>>
Map design got more fucked up each game. 2 & 3 had the best maps. I hate how they divided some maps into 2 missions. That was stupid even if fan shui gate and hu lao were miles apart.

>>386748103
That mission is a challenge, but in a good way. Simple design, too.
>>
I'm curious as to how fans of mainline Warriors feel about the licensed spinoffs (Hyrule, One Piece, Berserk, Gundam).
>>
>>386749409
Don't really care all that much desu, I was hyped for the FE one until we found out it's mostly Fateswakening and Shadow Dragon shitters
>>
>>386749409
I like them all.
>>
>>386749409
Only play the ones that focus on a license I care about.

Glad they exist, but wish rosterfags didn't shit up any discussion about them.
>>
Any second opinions on Dynasty Warriors NEXT?
>>
I don't know about you guys, but personally I gold really sick of the "You kill 800 guys and almost finish the mission, but then Lu Bu / some mega offiicer walks up and slaps your shit from 100-0 in 1 hit" kind of deal.

I liked DW3 and 4 as a kid, they were some pretty good couch co-op, but I got DW8 and only got like less then 10 hours into it. I think maybe just the core gameplay of being 1shot isn't really that fun?
>>
>>386749409

Op is ok but felt like it could have been better not being able to choose who you pair up with makes the game far more annoying.

HW is probably the better spin off with adventure mode and the counter mechanic but the bosses and forcing of items can dragg on.

Haven't played berserk or gundam but wasn't impressed with either despite being a beserk fan.

>>386749547

this, couldnt believe they screwed up on FE by only having fates and awakening. and inserting their doughnut steel characters instead of using the slots on far more obvious picks.
>>
>>386745672
>there will never be a Sengoku Basara x Dynasty Warriors crossover that adopts the gameplay from the former and the Level design from the lattet
SW fans eat shit
>>
>>386749409
I only played the Gundam one, because it's the only spinoff I care about.

>>386752109
Would be a decent Empires lite game, but the touch screen gimmicks and the RNG bullshit in Conquest Mode make it shit. You can literally lose Conquest Mode before fighting a single battle if the RNG fucks you over.
>>
>>386752763
Sorry i didnt make that clear at all for One Piece, i meant the pair up mechanic in PW3 I prefered how 2 did it in the end overall. I didnt mind the fact that they tried something different in the 1st PW to make it more like asuras wrath.

Musically though PW is as good as dynasty warriors
>>
>>386752989
What did they do instead of Kizuna Rush?
>>
>>386736941
When battles started being you and 10 friendly officers vs a million squads of enemies in a shitty maze of corridors instead of an even, large-scale battle on large, open maps where generals led their own armies with sub-officers and their force would follow them.

When each battle playthrough stopped playing differently and could progress for or against your faction even if you just stand around and do nothing.

When generals from each side stopped taking their armies to go after different objectives to try and further the battle and could actually succeed on their own.

When running into an enemy camp alone stopped being a good way to get yourself killed.

When tons of secret cutscenes and specific battle events stopped being included for you to find depending on certain circumstances.
>>
File: yup it's a heretic.jpg (137KB, 500x661px) Image search: [Google]
yup it's a heretic.jpg
137KB, 500x661px
>>386749547

>hector isn't the Lu Bu of FE

All i really needed to buy it and they didn't even include a hint of him or 7 at all
>>
>>386748282
X U R O N G
U
R
O
N
G
>Dong Zhou named General who's not part of his immediate family
>pushed Sun Jian, Cao Cao and Lu Bu's shit in
He's an old timer that could be made into a formidable foe for the early warlords to overcome.
Huangfu Song has a nice name too.
Plus the Civil War period of the Sun family, including the nasty Sun Chen incest bits.
>>
>>386736941
when they started trying to cram in as many peons on screen as possible
>>
Are you in favour of having a lot of new playable characters in each installment?
>>
>>386755008
If it means sacrificing quality, no. I'm annoyed that most of Shu's additions in 7 and 8 were Guan/Zhang kids that add nothing to the story, and have boring movesets.
>>
>>386748185
why did they stop?
>>
I still think 4 is the best.
Being able to create an officer with bodyguards and serving in any kingdom you want was great.
>>
File: 1380426498468.jpg (179KB, 550x401px) Image search: [Google]
1380426498468.jpg
179KB, 550x401px
DESTRUCTION!!!!
>>
>>386753204
essentially the same as a kizuna rush but you had a seperate guaged that once filled you played as the person you paired up with with all of their movesets unlocked for some big damage.

3 is still better but you were unable to choose who you were paired up with which was fine in story mode but sucked in the other modes especially when it came to coin collecting it was rng who you got paired up with.
>>
>>386737002

This is why the PSP games are best
>>
>>386756760
Dynasty Warriors for 3DS also is fun as fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXlbUuhK6XI
Proper mechanics and 60 fps
>>
File: 20170418_231316.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170418_231316.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
It went all wrong when they started to make Samurai Warriors so good.
>>
>>386748103
>GET OUT OF ME SWAMP
>>
>>386757438
this pretty much, samurai warriors 4 was basically an anime
>>
>>386749409
I love 'em, especially Gundam and Hyrule.
>>
>>386745359
It is one of the best specifically because Ryu Hayabusa is in it.
>>
>>386758546
He was amazing in WO3
>>
>>386760384

Hanzo Hattori is where da real ninjustu game at, sik moves in WO1
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.