[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HOW TO FIX XCOM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: D5gm0Xf.png (320KB, 800x1018px) Image search: [Google]
D5gm0Xf.png
320KB, 800x1018px
The original game was campy, but had its own cultural charm and stuck with an excellent table-top style of gameplay.
The new games have thrown all of this out for characterization that is destroying the entire concept.

To establish the problems with nu-com:
>Soldiers are virtually irreplaceable; especially on higher difficulties, you cannot afford to lose someone late-game
>RNG that arbitrarily fucks the player is not and never has been a good thing
>The game's initiative system turns combat into 'Alpha-strike to win'
>Round-timers prevent actual firefights and actively discourage the player from even participating in combat
>The atmosphere of the first nucom game is good, but the second one literally shits all over everything

How xcom did it:
>Soldiers are easily killed and easily replaced. You upgraded with technology and gear, not leveling soldiers up.
>RNG bullshit still existed, but your soldiers were actually expendable; it didn't matter, AND you could mitigate a lot of it with smoke or HWP/rookie bullet catchers
>Turn units and reactions created actual firefight dynamics and encouraged planning moves ahead of time
>You fought until you felt like leaving the mission
>The atmosphere perfectly captured alien invasion vs secret black project aesthetic

How to fix nucom 2:
>Make soldiers expendable again, by getting rid of classes and moving class-abilities to the weapons. A lot of class-abilities can just be outright deleted.
>Turn robutts and rookies into the bullet catchers they used to be
>Copy Battletech's initiative system and simultaneous shooting phase/melee phase
>Only use timers on specific and critical missions to add tension, not every fucking one of them
>Get an art-lead who can actually maintain some consistency between the aliens and xcom/resistance

Literally everything that would fix nucom 2 could be done by modders. The hardest part would be redoing the initaitive/turn system.
>>
>>386724924
have you checked out longwar mod?
>>
>WAAAAH MOMMY THEY PUT A TIMER ON IT A BLOO BLOO BLOO

Holy shit anon you're such a fuckin faggot. Stop bitching that you actually need to get shit done sometime this century
>>
>>386725117
Yes and it basically fixes nothing I talked about.

>>386725226
Timers are barely even an issue, nucom 2 just overuses them when it should only be on special missions. And they overuse them because they couldn't figure out a good way of preventing overwatch spam, so it was really just a cop-out fix that did little to actually fix anything.
>>
>>Only use timers on specific and critical missions to add tension, not every fucking one of them

shiter, please
>>
>>386725530
>>386725226
Why the hell are you guys so bent out of shape over the timers
>>
Adding a real boolit/missile physics would be a start.
>shoot an ayy
>bullets go straight through it
>LOL MISSED
>few meters near the target a wall gets hit because game decided it was hit even instead, when it wasn't in shooter's line of sight

And something like limb dagame would be also nice. Hit an ayy in arms and it might lose their weapon, hit them in the legs and they can get a moving penalty.
>>
>>386725605
Because it acts as a forcing function to force the player to be the aggressor instead of turtling 24/7

Complaining about it just means you're a shitter
>>
File: 1499933088522.png (125KB, 378x378px) Image search: [Google]
1499933088522.png
125KB, 378x378px
>>386724924
>>386725605
it is clear that OP is the one bent out of shape over the timers, my friend.
I personally played NuCOM first, then after completing the game i went and dumped almost 200 hours into UFO defense. I enjoyed both a lot, but i enjoyed nuCOM 2 more than both. The reason being overwatch crawl in NuCOM and getting cucked by needing 1-2 more AP to fire another 3-round burst.
The best aspect of UFO defense was the comprehensive base construction and the actual projectile trajectories and resulting environmental damage, not the 1-2 hours it takes to complete most missions. I do agree that nuCOM had a better atmosphere than nuCOM 2, but i simply enjoyed the aesthetics of 2 more than the former
sorry for having a "wrong" opinion ahead of time
>>
>>386725884
>>386725951
the timers are hardly even matter though

They discourage fighting and encourage just skipping most game content, but at the end of the day it's beyond trivial for anyone to fix it, and is probably the least of the issues with the game

It's just absurd how bent out of shape you got over the timers, but things like changing the init system doesn't get a peep. Like, are you pavlovian dogs trained for this kind of response? Am I literally discussing this game with a bunch of unthinking NPC's with set responses to inputs?

>>386725850
Physics based projectile mechanics were another thing that x-com did well, and nucom did not. For whatever reason, I have never seen an RNG-style system come close to matching the complexity and fun of a genuinely physically modeled system.
>>
>>386726279
Happens every single x-com thread

You should go see what happens in the /vg/ xcom threads if you mention the word "timer"; It's just people trolling because it gets so many (you)'s
>>
>Soldiers are virtually irreplaceable; especially on higher difficulties, you cannot afford to lose someone late-game
This is completely untrue, you can easily survive if you level up your troopers in a balanced way.
The problem are people who use the same guys in every mission and then cry when inevitably few of them bite the dust, its not pokemon where you can win by just with the starter
>>
>>386724924
Hover S.H.I.V.are extremely underrated, expendable and can allow you to train a new team again after a team wipe (at least on classic difficulty).
>>
>>386726518
It's way simpler to just savescum in case someone dies.

The design of xcom with these characters-you-get-attached-to-and-invest-yourself-in just isn't conducive to high-lethality. If your game is meant to be highly lethal, then your characters/units shouldn't require as much time investment. Otherwise losing a unit isn't simply losing a level 4 grenadier, it's losing a guy you spent 6 hours playing to level up to that point, and now you've got to start from scratch with a new guy.

Fuck that. Nobody wants to do that bullshit, and that's where all this hate for xcom's RNG stems from.

Whereas in original xcom, you literally just hand off the old equipment to a new rookie and keep going. Losses suck but you're not set back literally hours of gametime when a unit dies.

Which, I feel I need to reiterate:
High lethality - You should have mooks
Low lethality - You should have characters

Firaxis got this wrong with trying to give the player characters in a high lethality style of game.
>>
>>386724924
Alien Rulers are XCOM 2 biggest load of bull.
Yes, taking the freezing bombs help. But if they catch you in a bad situation you're still fucked.
>>
>>386726279
If you see the timers as an issue and not a massive improvement to the system there's just no helping you
>>
>>386727181
Timers are literally a bandaid trying to fix a problem inherent to the core gameplay design.

If you can't see that, there's no helping you.
>>
File: 1408288090610.png (196KB, 342x359px) Image search: [Google]
1408288090610.png
196KB, 342x359px
>>386725226
>>386725530
>OP types out a shitload of points concerning nu-com
>proposes sweeping changes regarding everything from gear and abilities to turn initiative
>shit the bed over a single, minor point
>>
File: xenonauts alien capture policy.gif (294KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
xenonauts alien capture policy.gif
294KB, 245x245px
>>386724924
Ever tried Xenonauts?
>>
>>386727817
No, but I did play some kind of xcom-like game that was on the xbox, I think.

I can't remember what it's called anymore.
>>
File: 1498181401573.jpg (32KB, 300x378px) Image search: [Google]
1498181401573.jpg
32KB, 300x378px
>>386724924
How the fuck do you type all that without mentioning the free targeting?

Apply yourself, anon.
>>
>>386726936
I don't understand how this is a problem when you have the capabilities to recruit more soldiers and stick them into the school and have them level up that way while you're playing with your current crew. Heck, you can even buy soldiers who are already leveled up and bypass all of that. You can still hand-down the equipment of deceased team members too. What's your issue with this? It seems like everything you want out of the game regarding this is already there.
>>
>>386724924
>RNG that arbitararily fucks the player is not and never been a good thing

I take it you never played UFO defense
>Point blank shot
>auto shot 3 times
>all hit floor at feet
>>
>>386727910
was it set during WWII?
>>
>>386726936
Your whole post tells that you cant understand that some people play differently that you.
I like both XCOMs, units dying doesnt suck to me, it gives the feeling of progress and sacrifice.
Its like your saying that when a unit dies the time that youve used that unit is somehow "spend"
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.