[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we fix the horror genre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: zlCfzRFByeggfsD5T2.jpg (80KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
zlCfzRFByeggfsD5T2.jpg
80KB, 800x450px
How do we fix the horror genre?
>>
>>386720189
No game is scary
>>
We dont, its dead
>>
File: REmake Chris library.jpg (214KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
REmake Chris library.jpg
214KB, 1920x1080px
-Stop with the first-person walking sim trash
-Let played defend himself
-But make supplies truly scarce
-Drop auto-saves and checkpoints completely. Make death actually have consequences.
-More open-ended maps, dynamic elements (ie semi-randomized enemy appearances and puzzles)

in short, just do another REmake or Silent Hill 1-3.
>>
File: bb.png (862KB, 599x758px) Image search: [Google]
bb.png
862KB, 599x758px
>>386720189
Play a game like Bloodborne that relies on building atmosphere and doubt in the player's mind little by little, like a story by Poe.

Don't play horror that relies on jump scares.
>>
>>386720391
He said Scary you fuckhead
>>
>>386720189
What's the source? I love really shitty horror games/mods
>>
File: tumblr_mcd4slLy3M1qfa1jdo1_500.gif (619KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mcd4slLy3M1qfa1jdo1_500.gif
619KB, 500x313px
>>386720254

I was young like you once.

Once.
>>
>>386720928
Pikmin 3
>>
File: unzip_dick.png (622KB, 1601x931px) Image search: [Google]
unzip_dick.png
622KB, 1601x931px
>>386720189
by adding more qt monsters, ofcourse.
>>
>>386720760
it's a bulbear from pikmin 3
>>
>>386720760
Who said?
Not OP, that's for sure. Check your glasses and meds, mate.
>>
>>386720391
>silent hill 1-3
>REmake
>scarce supplies
>>
>>386721032
Oh jesus, I actually couldn't even tell.

It looked like a shitty fnaf fangame
>>
>>386721205
Scarce enough to make you not go gung-ho.
Especially if you play on Hard modes.

I've seen some total rookies whine how they run out of ammo and cannot not find the first item chest in REmake HD.
>>
Take advantage of the medium and focus on atmosphere and gameplay-relevant horror mechanisms; Things that are scary because they will meaningfully affect your game.

Anything that tries to be cinematic, horror or not, is contrary to the basic concept of video games as a medium. Trying to do cinematic horror will only ever produce a paper-thin sense of horror that collapses in a stiff breeze.
>>
>>386721205
Funny you should mention that. It was always strange to me whenever anyone told me that those Survival Horror games had scarce supplies. Whenever I played them they always had plenty of ammo to kill everything in the game twice over.

Because of this, whenever I hear someone try to sell me that the limited ammo was a challenge that had to be overcome, I just imagine them shooting the walls constantly until they run out of bullets.
>>
>>386720189
Make the whole game just building anticipation for jumpscares.
So the player is on edge the entire fucking time trying to prepare themselves for it.

>This door is going to be a scripted jumpscare I just know it
Doesn't happen

Keep doing that shit for like the whole game, but putting a little bit of something in there to spice it up and keep players just on that edge.
Then finally, when the player thinks shit ain't gonna happen, then you scare the fuck out of them.
Then you repeat the process.

So ideally, you'd only do a jumpscare like 1 or 2 times during the game.
Rely on atmosphere and everything else for the rest of the spook points.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.