[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good introductory JRPGs for someone completely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: zwkg5cuaptngqfoxg3pq.gif (1MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
zwkg5cuaptngqfoxg3pq.gif
1MB, 800x450px
What are some good introductory JRPGs for someone completely new to RPGs and to some extent vidya in general?

Girlfriend's asked me to recommend her some good games that don't require a lot of manual skill but are still challenging. She absolutely sucks at platformers (can't even finish a New Super Mario Bros. stage) but loves puzzle games, and got really excited when I showed her a trailer for Stardew Valley and explained the premise.

I suggested JRPGs, because they're mostly turn-based and require more strategy and tactics than reflex and coordination, and it's all about fantastic adventures and exploring crazy and beautiful worlds, and she agreed that it sounded like something she'd defnitely be into, especially when I told her about dungeons and puzzle-solving.

So I'm left wondering which one to start with. I'm thinking Chrono Trigger is probably the best option, but I'd like to know what you guys think, and have other titles to move on to after she's done with her first.
>>
FF Mystic Quest is a good "starter" RPG. Easy to figure out what to do since it's very linear, visible stationary enemy encounters, new equipment you find is automatically set since it's always an improvement, and the music is fucking awesome.
It's legit a good game even if you're familiar with the genre, it's just not too deep or difficult.
>>
>>386698158
CT is perfect because it's really, really simple but also teaches you the very basics of the genre, she'll probably dig the game in general since it's a very lighthearted adventure with the usual amount of drama of story driven RPGs.
Most of the old well known JRPGs are really simple, she'll enjoy the old FF games too, just don't pick games like SaGa and you're good to go really, I would also recommend Mystic Ark, my little niece loved it, I feel it's a game that is more suited to female players due to the more "romantic" and unusual setting, but maybe it's just me, it also has kickass prog rock battle themes.
>>
>>386698403
>>386698883

Thanks
>>
Dragon Quest IV
The game is easy and comfy in general, the story and characters are charming and the chapter system basically acts like a tutorial where you try each of the different classes before you start mixing them together. The open world is slowly introduced to you so you never feel overwhelmed by it yet still has a great feeling of adventure.
Honestly it's the game I'd recommend to anyone who's never played an RPG before.
>>
Darkest Dungeon.
>>
Paper Mario is about as "hand-holdy" as you can get, and it's fantastic to boot.

Though it is different from most, the gameplay is close enough to give you a good idea. If you want Paper Mario but more traditional, do Super Mario RPG. Really any Mario RPG is a good introduction that even a child could play and enjoy.
>>
>>386699942

Which version should I go with? I have a DS laying around, I could get the DS version and let her borrow it.

>>386700107

Are you trying to turn my tide, anon?

>>386700323

I didn't even think about the Mario RPGs. They are indeed pretty easy, I might actually go with Paper Mario, or Superstar Saga.
>>
>>386700630
Superstar Saga is less traditional, but still great. Just remember that the usual JRPG doesn't have you managing two party members' timed hits on separate buttons.
>>
>>386698158

MapleStory is an MMORPG but you can kinda let her get used to that to make her appreciate the genre more.
>>
>>386700738

That's true. And the game is also designed around avoiding enemy hits by timing jumps when defending, she'd probably struggle with that. Does Paper Mario on the N64 do that too, or where the timed button presses only for landing crits? I can't really remember.
>>
>>386700630
The problem with the Mario rpgs is that they still require timing your jumps and hits for maximum damage and defense, they aren't as hands off as most jrpgs, if she can't handle NSMB the timing mechanics may be too much for .
Otherwise they are perfect for "my first JRPG"
>>
>>386700927

I think she'd struggle with real time combat, even something as simple as MapleStory. It's a good suggestion for later on when she gets better at vidya though, I think she'd enjoy the artstyle.
>>
>>386701169
Yeah, every Mario RPG has timed hits, though they're pretty forgiving and you could always just make a character build that's naturally defensive with badges. Though some of the cheesier strategies like the multi-bounce would be hard for her to pull off.

You get pretty used to it though, so who knows, could be a good way to help her get a bit more used to reacting.
>>
>>386698158
Thousand Arms was ez and had a fun crafting mechanics if memory serves me right.
>>
>>386698158
>What are some good introductory JRPGs for someone completely new to RPGs and to some extent vidya in general?
That was enough to make the thread you gigantic faggot. You're wasting precious server bytes on your bullshit.
>>
>>386701298
>could be a good way to help her get a bit more used to reacting

That's true. I think I'll go with something more traditional for her first game, but I'll definitely tell her to check Paper Mario eventually; I feel like the game is best appreciated if you can realize what it does with the traditional RPG formula.

>>386701473

>do that
>someone complains about the lack of information on the subject makes it hard to suggest titles

Yeah, nah.
>>
File: announce-ds-e[1].png (58KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
announce-ds-e[1].png
58KB, 512x384px
>>386700630
DS and Android versions have a shitty localization with written accents for different dialects like in the pic. It sucks but it gets more tolerable after a while so they're still your best bet since all of the other improvements make it worth. Also DS version has party chat removed so Android is superior in the end. PS1 version is not translated and the NES one is just old and archaic so don't bother with those.
I forgot to mention it but Dragon Quest V (on the DS) is another great choice for a more story-focused game and it doesn't have as many localization issues.
>>
>>386698158
Dark Sphere.
>>
>>386701846

Hm! Thanks for all the info, I'll look into both.
>>
>>386701882

lewd
>>
>>386701276
Since MapleStory doesn't use a turn-based system you might be right.
>>
Persona games are all pretty friendly and 3-5 have the slice of life visual novel thing going for them too which she might enjoy. P3P if she wants to play as a grill and husbando it up
>>
Pokemon is a great gateway drug for turn-based RPGs.
>>
>>386698158
Chrono Trigger is definitely the best option. The combat is easy to learn, but deep enough to stay fun and engaging throughout the game. The story is epic and has plenty of twists without devolving into convoluted, esoteric bullshit. The game is shorter than most RPGs and thus moves along at a quick pace, giving you clear goals and direction without any filler. And it just has a lot of great antifrustration features, like removing random battles or the need to grind. As long as she doesn't mind old sprite based graphics, its the best option.

I am surprised it has not been brought up, but Pokemon is also a solid choice. It has a world that is very easy to get sucked into, an addictive collecting mechanic that is fun and rewarding, and she can play as a girl protaganist.
>>
>>386698158
The Last Remnant
>>
>>386703715
>>386703665

Kek, nice timing.

Which Pokemon to go with, though? Not like it makes much of a difference though. Personally I'd go with FireRed or Emerald, but I haven't played them in ages.
>>
>>386704023
Not those anons, but I'd go with something either from gen 6 or 7. Easy, and has other shit to keep her occupied. ORAS has contests and secret bases while XY and SM have trainer customization. If she wants more challenge, definitely let her try Emerald or Platinum, or even BW and BW2.
>>
Lunar SSSC and Lunar EB are amazing games and not that hard with decent plot
>>
>>386704968

Neither of us has a 3DS, so there's that. BW sounds like a good intro game, though.
>>
>>386698158
Breath of Fire 3 would also be a good choice. Colorful, amusing minigames, a very inoffensive cast without any real pandering one way or the other, and a really good balance of lightheartedness and seriousness.
>>
>>386705774
BW is technically a soft reboot, so it does fit very well as being a good intro the series. If she ends up liking Pokemon, maybe have her try out the Mystery dungeon spin offs, those are always comfy to play.
>>
File: 1465285961153.png (12KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
1465285961153.png
12KB, 320x224px
>>386698158
Phantasy Star 4. It's easy but not an absolute joke like Squaresoft games. Multiple worlds to explore and the absolute best presented cutscenes you'll ever see in a pre-FMV game.
>>
>>386706389
>BW is technically a soft reboot
nigga what

how
>>
>>386698158
FFX.

It has a good story. The combat's not active, so she has all the time in the world to make decisions. Combat choices aren't too hard. Playing well makes things easy but you can succeed playing less than optimally, and you always have all of your party members at hand when needed. Early on character development is pretty linear, but later on you get to branch out their upgrades. There's also puzzle sections at the temple trials.
>>
>>386707048
this OP, get her to play FFX
>>
>>386703715
>the need to grind

You mean something that exists in less than 5% of games in the genre? I swear you faggots that whine about "the grind" are the worst.
>>
File: 2364645-snes_romancingsaga2_jp.jpg (1MB, 2100x1398px) Image search: [Google]
2364645-snes_romancingsaga2_jp.jpg
1MB, 2100x1398px
>>386706398
>but not an absolute joke like Squaresoft games.
Squaresoft wasn't all FF, PS4 is hardly more difficult than your average FF anyway.
>>
>>386708752
PS4's difficulty comes from the dungeons and resource management. FF games of that era didn't have any difficulty whatsoever.
>>
>>386698158

Chrono Trigger is a good option,

I also recommend Final Fantsy IV.

It's a very basic story nowadays, but a lot of JRPGs borrowed from it, so it's better to have her play this one before any other FF games.
>>
>>386710069

Oh, just to throw in, DO NOT have her play any 3D remakes of FFIV. Those were purposely designed to be more difficult than the 2D games and it's remasters.
>>
>>386710069
>>386710174

I thought about FF4 too. I think the PSP version would be nice.
>>
>>386699942
I would never recommend DQ4 to someone new to games.
>huge level jumps in monsters with no warning that will get you raped
>level/stat check enemies
>each time you swap characters you need to grind some gear again to be able to handle more than one fight in a row
>>
>>386698158
Chrono Trigger is the standard answer for a reason, even if it's starting to show its age.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.