[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get good at fighting games? Specifically Street Fighter V

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

How do I get good at fighting games? Specifically Street Fighter V
>>
>>386683525
if you cant get good in SFV of all fighting games you need to stop playing fighting games
>>
File: d5d.jpg (25KB, 336x506px)
d5d.jpg
25KB, 336x506px
>Find your character
>Learn how to do you special moves
>Learn your bread and butter block stings that leave you at neutral
>Learn how to hit confirm into you specials
>Learn a crush counter combo

Everything else will become clear with experience
>>
>>386683782
Also learn your anti-airs. Shit is crucial in SFV
>>
>>386683582
Was just asking for general tips for someone new to the fighting genre
>>
>>386683920
That too. Learn proper antiairs. AA jab will work but it's better to learn how to use your "proper" AA normals.
>>
https://youtu.be/typuQhHbbbY

Blocking and having patience is an underrated strategy.

I beat a Guile who was 3x my rank just because he barely ever blocked. I tatsu'd him 32 times yesterday :^)
>>
>>386684069
You usually want to just play different characters until you find one that you like.
Then you play them and learn their moveset.
Try and go as long as possible without going into practice
once you feel you've hit a brick wall then go into practice and experiment with combos
>>
The diamond player at my local just tells me to block, don't guess/anticipate, punish instead
>>
>>386684837
That seems to be a problem for me I keep attacking the player and they end up finishing me off. How do I control myself into blocking and just waiting for them to attack first?
>>
>>386684837
>don't guess/anticipate, punish instead
you're suppose to anticipate in SFV because thats how they made it.
When you add the game's built in 8 frames of input lag on top of online lag it becomes almost impossible to play on reactions alone.
but at least the viewers get a neat show cuz that's what matters, right?
>>
>>386683525
in SFV each character has like 3 bnb's and they are all super easy. For someone new to fighting games combos might be hard, so what you do is that you look them up on Youtube and then do them like a hundred times on survival mode (since there is no arcade mode in this game) till those combos come out without you having to think about them.

After you got your combos down you start looking for videos on how to learn to hit confirm, how to footsies, how to whiff punish, what to do on wake up, how to maintain pressure, how to shimmy, how to meaty, etc. And since SFV is so stupidly easy there isn't really a better fighting game to learn the basics of the genre.
>>
>>386684936
They're are more ways to punish a player then them being unsafe on block.

Poor fireball play on their part can open them up for a jump in.

Wiff punishing when they press slow buttons out of range

Once you get better you can time counter hits if you notice their pressure has bad gaps or it's "true"

Also grabs are good to blow open people. Same with overheads
>>
>>386685154
SFV has 88.6ms of delay.

That's 5.28 frames. Round that off and it's 5.3 frames.
>>
>>386685451
74 on pc
>>
>>386683525

Pick a top tier and pray to whatever god you believe in that he/she doesn't get nerfed next season.

Use your moves that leave you with frame advantage. I dunno why so many of you are trying to give this poor man "advice" and just straight up lying to them. SFV is basically a diet version of Marvel vs Capcom, you always have to press buttons and rush in at all times. You have to do this with a top tier if you want to win, or at least a high tier.

If patient play worked in SFV people would actually win with a character like Ryu. So no, don't be patient. Remember: zoners don't exist in this game, except for Guile because he has the only good fireball in the game. Learn to fight against him since he's the only zoner in the game.

Learn how to fight Karin, Laura and Balrog. They represent what this game is the best: mash your safe attacks and cancel to V-trigger for a huge combo confirm, then do at least one or two more combos to win a match.

I don't wanna come off as trying to make fun of SFV. OP seems to enjoy it and that's fine, but let's not lie to him or to ourselves and pretend the game is deep. Literally just go in, learn some spacing (not a main focus) and learn your situation combos and that's it.

You can be a great player in SFV. That's why so many top players in SFV are people you've never ever heard of before this game came out. It's not hard to be good at it, but it's hard to keep enjoying it. Anyway, good luck.
>>
>>386685569
Source?

google brings nothing back that isn't dated from last year.
>>
>>386684250
>All those wasted cross ups
>all that jabbing
>that meter management

I've been doing silver casuals but if silver is like that I may just shoot for gold because that was a mess.
>>
Sticking to convention is useful but when YOU'RE the one getting read you should know your character well enough to pull off some creative shenanigans.

Meta is the frosting but mind game is the cake
>>
File: 1496702429902.png (428KB, 989x1018px)
1496702429902.png
428KB, 989x1018px
>>386684250
>tfw main problem is blocking too much
>>
>>386685618
>spacing not a main focus

What? As long as it's a fighter on a 2d or 3D plane where the fighters have limbs spacing will be the most important thing to know.
>>
>>386684250
Holy shit you suck.

>Wake up exdp for knock down at 2:00
>Activate vtrigger when guile is on his back
>Shimmy and still eats a flash kick

Why did activate vtrigger? You could have AT LEAST charged hado out of flash kick range and tried for a guard break.
>>
>>386683525
Pick Akuma and learn some dank raging demon memes
>>
>>386685618
How do I get good with Cammy? I've learned how to do all her moves and super but idk any combos or if I'm playing her right
>>
>>386684936
Just for fun and as an exercise, your next match just block for like half the match or more and watch your opponent start doing a bunch of dumb jump ins and sweeps
>>
>>386685984
>tfw same problem
>trying to block less but I am eating tons of mashed jabs
>go back to my old habit and block too much and get throw looped
>>
>>386686086

Nigger,

I won with a character I don't even use.

Also

>activate v-trigger

>he suspects hados and shoryus

>throw him instead
>>
>>386685154
Game is literally 50:50 mix ups with Crush Counters and Dash grabs
>>
>>386685737
https://twitter.com/noodalls/status/855210441089310720

noodalls is the #1 source for all input lag
>>
>>386686235
Learn her frame traps this will take you to plat or high gold easily because she is one of the characters where randomly jabbing will kill you. Some low rank matches will feel like fighting the dummy.
>>
>>386683525
Practice and playing people
>>
>>386684250
Some sick Ume-Tatsus, you read Daigo's book?
>>
>>386686348
Wow that's unfortunate for PC players.

Console is 5.3.
>>
>>386684250
>
>fullscreen heavy tatsu
>he blocks
>does nothing and lets you jump away again
>then he whiffs his super out of range
>blocks another fullscreen heavy tatsu, again no punish, instead gets himself DPd

guile literally handed the game to you
that tatsu is ridiculously minus on block, pretty much any punish works there. could at least hit sweep, still better than just doing nothing.
>>
>>386686614
console is 88ms mate. 74ms on pc.

16ms = 1 frame
>>
File: 1469855783869.jpg (70KB, 640x718px) Image search: [Google]
1469855783869.jpg
70KB, 640x718px
>>386686281
>predictable as fuck so people can just BTFO my pressure
>just go back to blocking for fear of eating counter hits all game
>people do stupid shit when they realize you're too much of a bitch to attack back and can get away with it
>>
>>386685984
>>386686281
getting thrown really isnt a big deal in this game. most throws have no advantage, so if you quickrise you're back to neutral.

you should still tech sometimes, but be very careful about it.
remember: if you block and get thrown, you take 120 damage and reset to neutral.
if you tech and get counterhit, you eat at least 200 damage plus another mixup.
>>
>>386686676

I'm sure it wasn't optimal to throw him on wake up but if anything I condoned him into thinking I was retarded and ultimately that's what lead to him getting rekt 2 games in a row
>>
>>386686497
Sorry don't really know how frames work in this game or how I'm supposed to take advantage of them. I know what frames are so don't need to explain that part
>>
>>386683525
Learn bread and butter.
Body all the people who don't know the bread and butter.
Get bodied by everyone who knows what they are doing.
>>
>>386687767
Bronze players do optimal combos in SFV these days
>>
>>386684936
I was always extremely aggressive until started playing tekken with a friend who only played tekken but also with an extremely aggressive playstyle and so I forced myself to learn blocking, now over 200+ matches later I can block basically anything (EXCEPT AKUMA'S UNBLOCKABLE RAGE)
>>
>>386688151
Also on top of that I like to bait so just run in then block before reaching them, in low ranks it'll generally get you free hits.
>>
>>386686796
It's why I played cammy I feel like she gets slept on.

>can't out random her since she has a set up after all spiral arrows she will dizzy you after 2 punishes
>can't run from her because she's too fast
>no mindlessly trying to pressure her because she has the best normal AA and invincible reversal
>FAT ch combos from her frame traps and shimmies
>that vtrigger

Wew lad I felt like a cheap piece of shit playing her
>>
someone faceapp lowtiergod please
>>
Who /fang/ here?
>>
>>386687323
Some characters have a decent amount of stun getting opened up and eating 2-3 will get you dizzy

>>386687446
Frame traps are using a normal with frame advantage (very safe on block) followed by another normal to beat the opponents option after blocking your advantageous normal and scoring a counter hit for good damage.
>>
>>386687391
throwing on wakeup is fine.
doing random fullscreen tatsus is borderline suicidal - it leaves you at point blank and with a -10 disadvantage. literally every character can easily punish that on reaction.

>>386687446
watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtklnzge00

being plus = you can act before your opponent
being minus = your opponent can act before you

generally, being minus means that if you press buttons you will lose against your opponents buttons (because they come out a tiny bit earlier than yours)
thus, when you are minus, its generally a good idea to block. pressing buttons while you are minus will get you blown up super fast.
>>
>>386683782

>hit confirm into your specials

This looks so humanly impossible for me that I never applied it in my gameplan except for Mika c.hp during season one leaving you at +2 when spaced, allowing ch jab s.mp link. But even then, I did the whole string without looking if they got hit or blocked.
>>
>>386688936
hit confirming is a thing that you only learn by doing it.

go into training, set the dummy to "block: random" in the settings, and do your string. if your first hit connects, then cancel your second hit into a special. if your first hit gets blocked, then dont cancel.
do this over and over again until you get it right every time. it seems super hard and nearly impossible in the beginning, but with practice it will become 100% muscle memory and you won't even think about it consciously, it will just happen automatically.
>>
I'm using a PS4 control. What's the difference in using the L2 button (HML) kick than using the other ones
>>
>>386689545
R2 is heavy kick
L2 is triple kick, it's the same as pressing all three kick buttons (light, medium and heavy) at the same time

mostly used for EX moves
>>
>>386689185

Yeah, sometimes I do it by accident and go "oh, I just hit confirmed".
But I'm too dumb to have a flowchart. If I think about waking up with jab, I wake up jab and stop instead of going for a counter hit confirm, or dash/jump/tick throw. It seems even more impossible to fish for hits to confirm.
I trained Abigail's s.mp CA confirm, since the cancel window is really wide, and could do it pretty easily outside of fucking up the 2x qcf motion, but I don't see myself reacting to a random s.mp hitting.
>>
>>386689757
Is it bad if I primarily use the triple kicks and punches?
>>
File: 1500684496112.png (705KB, 1016x805px) Image search: [Google]
1500684496112.png
705KB, 1016x805px
>>386684250
>two silvers

Uhhh...
>>
>>386689795
>I trained Abigail's s.mp CA confirm, since the cancel window is really wide, and could do it pretty easily outside of fucking up the 2x qcf motion, but I don't see myself reacting to a random s.mp hitting.

if you can do it in training mode, then you can do it in a match, too. doing it under stress is much harder than in a controlled setting, but you WILL get it right eventually. the best way to get this down is playing matches and not focusing on winning, but on finding opportunities to apply your hitconfirm string on them.

the best opportunities for hit confirms are after a blocked jump-in attack or on their wakeup. when i play abigail, i often do st.mp on their wakeup - this button is so slow that i can confirm off a single hit. when it hits, i link b.hp xx hp target combo, when it gets blocked i either go for another st.mp, or do a light command throw.

>>386689805
they just resolve to heavy punch/kick, so you can do that if you want. i recommend using the proper buttons though - some characters have special moves on KKK / PPP and if you're used to using those in neutral then you will get messed up by doing a random EX special move when you just wanted to do a heavy kick.
>>
>>386688067
That is a blatant lie
>>
How hard is Akuma to learn from. someone who plays Ryu but doesn't like Ryu
>>
>>386683525
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk
>>
>>386691639
akuma is one of the hardest characters in SFV.
he has a much more complex combo system than most others, a vast array of offensive options both on the ground and in the air, and is the most fragile character of all, with the lowest health and lowest stun in the game.
>>
>>386691639

How do you feel about dying in two combos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4RoxyvVLJE
>>
>>386692289
what if im shit and just like his air options

>>386692374
that happens to me anyway. Only now it's guaranteed so I'll get through games faster
>>
>>386684273
Dont listen to this retard. Go into training and experiment, you dont need anything crazy, just enough to get all your inputs down. Make sure you you can do your special moves consistently from both sides. You can practice special cancelling until that becomes easy. Go into a real match and play patient, make every button count.
>>
>>386683782
>learn BnB combos on training mode, gets confident with 80% execution rate
>try to apply it in ranked match
>dropped combos and hit confirms, spaghettis on the floor everywhere
>relapsed back to tried and true scrub techs like wakeup DP and raw supers

What do?
>>
>>386692906
>Make sure you can do your special moves consistently from both sides
I'm still having trouble with this. When it comes to fighting games that require you to move the analog stick in a specific angle or a zigzag or curve, I always have trouble with it. Is there a way to learn from this or will getting a fight stick make it easier?
>>
Honestly OP, it takes a bit of time and I wouldn't recommend SFV as an optimal starting point. But Street Fighter in general is a good place to start if you delve into the genre.

First up you gotta learn the ins and outs of your controller. People always complain about what controllers work better and what doesn't, but you gotta learn on what's available to you. I play a lot of Street fighter-style games on a 360 controller with the control stick (while a lot of people prefer the pad). But it's where I played a bulk of my favourite fighters over the past decade and what was readily available.

Next thing is to figure out what character style you like to play as. Are you patient? Do you prefer grappling? Are you a rushdown man? Is waifu your lifefu?
Then you choose the character that tailors towards your play style (or your dick). If you really have no idea who's good, shoto characters (ryu, ken) are pretty basic in all sf games and are great for beginners. Learn their strengths, weaknesses, the bullshit broken shit they can do easily. Playing the trials mode will help teach you combos of that character. But don't get frustrated if you can't complete it the first time around, it takes some getting used to learning the patterns and timing. Practice mode your combos if you got the hang of 'em and play some of the story to learn the universal mechanics of the characters. Getting familiar with the roster makes it easier to predict and anticipate the moves of your opponent. Don't be afraid to go online either, you'll get your ass kicked a lot, but learn by doing once you got the basics.

Also for godsake you gotta learn your characters anti-airs, you'll need to bust that shit out on the fly.
Practice your blocking, punishing peoples dropped combos and attacks is a lot more effective than jumping in blind.
Learn your character V-trigger and supers and the best moments to utilize them.
>>
>>386692980

Drop combos and hit confirms until you stop dropping them. As simple as that.
Learn how to be patient and capitalize on bad decisions, like an unsafe blocked move, or obvious jump ins.
>>
>>386691306
You haven't been in bronze for some time, I have since launch. Bronze is the new gold
>>
>>386683525
Learn to count.
>>
>>386692541
>what if im shit and just like his air options
you'll end up completely shitting on people who have not put in the time and effort to learn how to deal with akumas air shenanigans.
you will also become a one-trick pony, and when you run into someone who knows how to get around your air bullshit, you wont know what to do and get your shit pushed in.

>>386693128
stick is a meme. pad is perfectly fine, people have won tournaments like EVO and capcom cup on it.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.