[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What system and its games aged better overall - ps1 or n64?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: ss (2017-08-08 at 02.27.07).jpg (106KB, 1107x305px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-08-08 at 02.27.07).jpg
106KB, 1107x305px
What system and its games aged better overall - ps1 or n64?
>>
N64 is easier on the pure graphix-whores' eyes thanks to AA, texture-filtering, and perspective-corrected textures.
For MP fags, N64 is pure gold platform thanks to its built in 4 player support and numerous great MP games.
It also had a handful of genre-definers and enhancers, like Mario64 and Banjo coining 3D platforming / collectathon, Goldeneye pawing the way for console FPS games, and Ocarina Of Time doing same to 3D action-adventure genre as what SM64 did to platformers + introducing the target lockdown and context-sensitive action buttons.

That being said, PS1 still has some of the greatest JRPGs and survival-horror games ever released, though PS2 clearly towered above it even in that sense.
>>
PS1 - fighting games, racing games, survival horrors, jRPGs, adventure games, sports games, action games, point and click games

N64 - platformers and shooters. Except ps1 also has platformers and shooters which are just as good, if not straight up better in some examples
>>
>>386659438
I had both, and I seriously cannot recall any noteworthy PS1 shooters.
Quake 2's port maybe? Was on N64 as well.

A bit same with platformers. Spyro trilogy is top-tier though.
>>
>>386660095
Shooters - Alien Resurrection and Medal of Honor games (two titles to invent the dual stick control scheme), Syphon Filter trilogy, Duke Nukem games

Platformers - beside Spyro there is also Crash trilogy and Ape Escape, Klonoa, Rayman, SOTN, Tomba, Oddworld, Toy Story 2 (aka the GOAT licensed game), Megaman games etc
>>
>>386660095
>Quake 2's port maybe? Was on N64 as well.
Completely different. PSX port of Q2 was the original PC game but with levels subdivided in smaller chunks. N64's had completely different levels save for the first which was the same on both PSX and N64. Also N64 version had really choppy animations for some reason.
>>
>>386661905
>Also N64 version had really choppy animations for some reason.
Only if you lacked Expansion Pack, which did enhance the resolution and added animation-interpolation.

Q2's N64 port was actually built from a ground-up using modified Q1 engine and Q2's assets.

>>386661625
>Duke Nukem games
N64's Duke64 and Zero Hour are way better than any of the PS1 Douks tho'.

>Toy Story 2
a multiplat game, which was on N64 as well.
>>
>>386658496

PS1 for textures, N64 for polygons.

PS1 is better overall.
>>
>>386662558
>Only if you lacked Expansion Pack, which did enhance the resolution and added animation-interpolation.
Just fired it up on an emulator, the first person animations remain choppy even with the expansion pack.
>>
>>386658496
>Mirrors
I remember looking at Awe in Mario 64's mirror as a kid, thinking this is the future of vidya. 2 weeks ago I played Prey on my GTX1080 and no mirrors were working.
>>
File: 20160904203317_1.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20160904203317_1.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>386663861
working mirrors have turned into a big, meme-tier pleb-dev filter in the past few years.

It's just sad that literal indies, modders and tiny "AA" studios can do them just fine, but AAA devs tend to literally ignore them and go with mid-1990s style cubemaps.
>>
File: 98259252768.jpg (51KB, 609x308px) Image search: [Google]
98259252768.jpg
51KB, 609x308px
>>386661625
>Alien Resurrection and Medal of Honor games (two titles to invent the dual stick control scheme)
Technically Goldeneye invented dual stick for FPS, but it required two controllers for it. Obviously none of these games invented dual-stick gaming, that would be an arcade game like Virtual-On or something.

>>386662558
>Only if you lacked Expansion Pack, which did enhance the resolution and added animation-interpolation.
It doesn't add interpolation. As you said, it's based on Q1's engine and that engine didn't have interpolation and the developers of Q2 N64 didn't implement it at all.

>>386662795
>PS1 for textures, N64 for polygons.
As general rule that's somewhat true. If you take the N64 library as a whole, PS1 games tend to have higher resolution textures. Of course, they also have quite nasty texture warping so it's fairly even if you take the matter holistically.

That being said, certain N64 games (like the ones by Rare - in particular Banjo-Tooie and Conker) have better texturing (even excluding warping) than the best PS1 games.

>>386658496
Just for keks I'll post this picture which I know OP loves.
>>
>>386664668
I don't understand why Prey doesn't have mirrors though, its a good game, I loved it. but damn that's offputting when one of the first you explore is your personal bathroom.
>>
File: love.jpg (169KB, 782x665px) Image search: [Google]
love.jpg
169KB, 782x665px
>>386664834

>emulating PS1 games and the texture warp is corrected
>>
>>386664668
My favourite is "working mirrors but only renders in pixel vision"
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.