[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Early Access

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: earlyaccess.jpg (36KB, 750x396px) Image search: [Google]
earlyaccess.jpg
36KB, 750x396px
We've entered this odd point in gaming where a number of unfinished titles are being sold on Steam for between $30 - $40 dollars, just to waste away on the store page for years, until nobody gives a shit anymore. DayZ, Rust, and H1Z1 were all every popular, and so is PUBG now. Thoughts on this? How do we fix/change Ealy Access so that we don't get developers abandoning their titles after a year or so?
>>
Remove Early Access. It's inherently bad.
>>
>>386638907
Consider it a tax on stupidity
>>
>>386638907
If people want to throw money down the toilet that is their prerogative comrade.
>>
>>386638907

Realize that you're hopefully an adult and you don't have to buy any game that is in early access because you're not forced to.
>>
>>386640139
>Realize that you're hopefully an adult and you don't have to live in this world full of shit because you're not forced to.
>>
>>386638907
If its not finished within a certain time frame everyone gets a refund? Fuck knows. I dont think they can really fix it, it either stays as is or remove it completely
>>
>>386638907
Separate Early Access from released games on the store, similar to greenlight. That would go a long way towards making the store not fucking stupid to browse, and cause them to show up in the "New Releases" when they actually release the game - mitigating the current situation where devs blow their first impression with shitty, buggy pre-alpha gameplay and never see players return when they release.
Contact devs who are blatantly taking longer than their estimate. If a game from 2015 says "we estimate 6 months of early access" but still hasn't released, that's a problem.
>>
>>386638907
>stupid people lose money
OH NO THE HORROR
>>
>>386640838
this, literally everything is turning to shit and vidya is no exception, can't wait for the 15 y.o millenial to tell me how I'm wrong and just getting old
>>
>>386638907
h1z1 is still popular
>>
>>386639930
Best post. Early access enables lazy developers and gives them an excuse to release unfinished games at full price and even abandon the game to get a quick buck. Thank God that refunds are a thing.
While there are a few devs that actually do their job in Early Access, they are a really small minority.
>>
Bought into an early access game over three years ago. They're just about to move into their beta testing phase. Don't be like me, don't be an idiot. I know that will be hard for some of you, but please at least try.
>>
File: IMG_0203.jpg (141KB, 700x905px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0203.jpg
141KB, 700x905px
>>386641875
You're not wrong, but you are getting old
>>
when are you faggots going to realise that "early access" just means "game that is developed for as long as people want to pay for and improve it". AAA games with 5 years of dev. cycle is a dying thing. but do keep whining about how you hate progress and the future while it passes you by
>>
>>386642281
The thing is that that "progress" doesn't actually progress and most of the times it gets stuck and eventually abandoned, leaving nothing but an unfinished game with no feedback from the devs but for some reason, it is still allowed to be sold in digital stores.
Like I said here >>386642116 , there are of course exceptions of people that they actually deliver, and in the dates that they promised at the start of the project, but they are a small minority in a huge sea of indie developers.
>>
The best thing you can do when it comes to any stupid practice in gaming is to simply ignore and do NOT purchase anything that falls into that category.
Don't like DLC? Don't be tempted, don't buy DLC titles.
Don't like Early Access? Don't buy early access titles
Just vote with your wallet, get some noise out there, and you're good.

>>386639930
It's not inherently bad, developers abusing it are inherently bad.

They'd just be doing the same thing on kickstarter instead anyway.
>>
>>386638907
maybe finish the game before posting it on steam on early access?
i know developpers need more money to upgrade the game, but it's bullshit.
or lower the price since it's not complete.
personally, if the game looks good, i wait for it to be finished, other than that, i avoid every early access like plague
>>
Is there a way to filter tags from the store page? I don't mind recommendations from steam, but 9/10 times it's suggesting Early Access titles even though I don't play them (Exanima being the lone exception).
>>
File: shrug.jpg (56KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
56KB, 400x267px
>>386638907
Is early access really that bad?

I used to fucking hate it, I'll be honest. 99% of early access titles do become abandonware..

Then I looked back at the early access titles i've played. 100+ hours in PUBG. 100+ hours in Rust. 20+ hours in Divinity before it even fully released. 80+ hours in 7 Days to Die. 300+ hours in Chivalry. 150+ hours in Heroes & Generals. 15+ hours in Long Dark. 100+ hours in Grim Dawn. 250+ hours in Insurgency. 20+ hours in Darkest Dungeon. 20+ hours in Wasteland 2.

If not for early access, a lot of this shit probably would've never even made it to market. A bunch of shit that I get way more playtime and enjoyment out of than most AAA titles.

So think about early access logically, that's all.
>>
>>386648969
Devs need to not put things on early access that won't be finished within a year at most
>>
>>386648969
this
>>
>>386638907
EA needs a few things
1. time limit. lets say 1 year max and either your game is now considered released or it's pulled from the market
2. NO DLC. if your game is in EA you cannot sell DLC of any kind including cosmetics. Your game is not even released at this point you're not making "add on" content you're making base game content
3. refunds available when the developer outright lies about their promises. So many times devs will say a bunch of shit to get EA customers and then neg on it later. Fuck that if customers can prove that the devs of an EA game are lying through their teeth refunds should be available.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (46KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
46KB, 460x215px
I see no inherent problem with early access. The problem is retards buying games based on hype. If you're buying any games right on release without even doing any research or watching Let's Play videos, you deserve to lose your money. This is even more so with early access games.

1. Retards will lose their money. This is a good thing. (I was one of them. Fuck you, DayZ.)
2. Actual good early access games that are ACTUALLY being developed will continue to get good reviews, good PR, etc.

I bought Rimworld and paid for the Path of Exile closed beta. I don't regret those purchases one bit, and have even given more money to the PoE devs. Both are solid games with good developers. However, I watched a few Let's Play Rimworld series, and I actually played PoE on the free weekends before buying.
>>
All early access need is just not to exist. You sell finished product or nothing at all. This would normally be handled by a producer and obviously is strictly needed. Imposing restriction in order to "fix" early access is nothing more than exchanging other publishers for Valve and will not change anything until developers themselves are made responsible for what they make and are not paid for promises.
>>
>>386638907
It will stop happening when people stop demanding it with their money.
>>
>>386649801
Good suggestions
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.