[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steam client is DRM confirmed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 540
Thread images: 59

1) Games are stored in your computer but you can't modify the files
2) The binary files in your computer are only using your CPU/GPU as a parasite to connect to steam servers otherwise they are worthless
3) Even if you modify the files offline it's still illegal
4) You agreed to purchase the license to authenticate a game online, you don't purchase the game itself
5) Valve DRM client called Steam allow third party DRM to connect o to third party servers without your consent
>b-but why should I care I just want to play gaems xD
not an argument

Previous thread
>>386603703

#UPDATE#
I tried to run the game without the crack and it doesn't work. Even Steam games that run offline need a fucking crack to decrypt the file.

TL;DR: Steam is a fucking scam even their ''offline'' games are bundled with DRM encryption
>>
File: kenshiro_unforgivable.jpg (30KB, 640x432px) Image search: [Google]
kenshiro_unforgivable.jpg
30KB, 640x432px
>>386631032
Only people that care about any of these things are pirates. Quit video games if DRM bothers you. We don't need parasites.
>>
>>386631032
So it doesn't actually do anything?
Good to know op, now fuck off.
>>
File: 1423796056908.jpg (24KB, 450x534px) Image search: [Google]
1423796056908.jpg
24KB, 450x534px
>if you're offline for more than 2 weeks steam offline mode refuses to work

When did they add this fucking bullshit?
>>
>>386631032
Why is this a problem to you when you know that you and any other reasonable person can pirate 99% of the games available on Steam and play them without it?
>>
>>386631032
In other news the grass is green and the sky is blue.
>>
>>386631032
>Steam client is DRM

Thread immediately turned to shit
>>
File: ss+(2017-08-09+at+04.48.58).png (67KB, 1462x593px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-08-09+at+04.48.58).png
67KB, 1462x593px
>>386631242
But that's wrong, idiot.
>>
>>386631242
I don't know, but I've downloaded pirate copies of the games I'd still want to continue playing if Steam goes kaput, goes offline for some reason, or if I ever lose my Internet for a long time for some reason.
>>
File: op is a faggot.gif (2MB, 296x235px) Image search: [Google]
op is a faggot.gif
2MB, 296x235px
Steamworks is the drm often bundled with steam games. Steam itself is not drm, steamworks is. It is up to the developer whether or not to include the steamworks drm with their game being sold on steam. Many games can be launched directly from their exe file without having steam open.

Op is a faggot, once again and as always.
>>
>>386631171
>Only people that care about any of these things are pirates.
quite the opposite. I don't even play games on PC
I'm just showing that you retards that buy digital rights to play video games using steam servers are simply dumb goys
>>386631221
die scum
>>
>>386631032
Why don't we talk about the NWO?
>>
>>386631032
>1) Games are stored in your computer but you can't modify the files
Don't people literally just go into the steam folder and fuck around with games all the time? To what extent are we talking about modifying?
>>
>>386631390
>Steam itself is not drm
Yes it is. The only way to play a steam game is to use the binary that has the encrypted code that downloaded from your client
Proof: ask your friend to .zip a steam offline game and you can't run without a signature .exe provided by steam
>>
>>386631032
>TL;DR: Steam is a fucking scam even their ''offline'' games are bundled with DRM encryption
false
there are plenty DRM-free games on Steam
you can't even check what is inside your console at all
there is not a bigger DRM market than the console market
>>
>>386631413
>I don't even play games on PC
Not the anon you are responding to but with that why should we even care about your opinion?
>>
>>386631451
You are allowed to modify files that they allow. They only work if you run it in a steam enviroment (that is, an environment which has DRM signatures attached to your account)
>>
but I mod my games and edit .ini files all the time
>>
>>386631538
>opinion
HURRRRR DURRRRRRR IS NOT DRM XD
check the previous thread or fuck off.
>>
Ok so what's your alternative?
Oh nothing?

That's what I thought. Shut the fuck up fag literally no one cares
>>
File: reece.jpg (29KB, 600x494px) Image search: [Google]
reece.jpg
29KB, 600x494px
>>386631413
So you play games on consoles. Enjoy having your physical medium for the games decay and become obsolete as their consoles all break down and backwards compatibility support is bad to shitty compared to PC.

By the way, do you really think you'll have physical game copies in Gamestop after this gen?
>>
>>386631032
>not an argument.
Sorry, but you can't decide what is or isn't an argument, dear.
>>
>>386631517
Lie. The .exe only works (the game will only launch) if you have a .exe provided by steam and the only way you can have this .exe is by downloading an encrypted file from their servers which prevents any person from decryption it otha the steamapi.dll they provide for each game
>>386631681
The point of this thread is to show to steam shills that they lie everytime they say Steam client is not DRM
>>
>>386631606
You know it would be easier to just admit you don't have an argument. Might even help with your blood pressure
>>
>>386631764
I just tested and anyone can test
The game don't even launch if you don't have the execrable downloaded from steam(the only way you can get it is by using the steam client).
>b-but muh based gaben gives the largest collection of drm-free xDD
fuck off you piece of shit
>>
File: real vs fake jews.jpg (67KB, 375x347px) Image search: [Google]
real vs fake jews.jpg
67KB, 375x347px
>>
Don't give a shit, it's a non-issue only spergs care about
>>
>>386631032

Op's post is so retarded that it begs response even if it's bait.

Legally, that's the case for most non-FOSS software, even before steam.
>2) The binary files in your computer are only using your CPU/GPU as a parasite to connect to steam servers otherwise they are worthless
But that's not true, you fucking retard. There's dozens of games you can launch with internet deactivated and not even opening steam, straight from the filesystem.
>3) Even if you modify the files offline it's still illegal
See point 1
>4) You agreed to purchase the license to authenticate a game online, you don't purchase the game itself
Again, see point 1. You never buy a software, game or not. You are given a LICENSE to use it, wheter for free or as a result of a commercial transaction.
You think you OWN <insert game here> just because you have a disc with it?
>5) Valve DRM client called Steam allow third party DRM to connect o to third party servers without your consent
False, you consent in the EULA.
>>
>>386632230
>There's dozens of games you can launch with internet deactivated and not even opening steam, straight from the filesystem.
that's completely false I just waited a 3 hour download (slow torrent) to run the game and it only worked with the provided decrypted .exe some user provided in the last thread
>>
>>386631242
>>if you're offline for more than 2 weeks steam offline mode refuses to work

>When did they add this fucking bullshit?

Blatantly false. I tun steam offline for a month every year in summer while on the seaside, nothing of the sort happens.
>>
File: op is another faggot.gif (1MB, 296x235px) Image search: [Google]
op is another faggot.gif
1MB, 296x235px
>>386631485
Did you not open the gif I posted or something? Let me do it again. I'll also restate, IT IS UP TO THE DEVELOPER WHETHER OR NOT TO USE THE STEAM API OR THE STEAMWORKS DRM. Steam itself is not the drm. 95% of steam games use the steam api or steamworks, but that does not change the fact that steam itself is not the drm.
>>
>knows people who buy games dont care about the DRM
>doesn't consider it an argument because that will destroy his argument

how sad is your life OP?
>>
>>386631032
What the actual fuck are you retard talking about? I guess you got some drm on your brain fgt. The only games that contain drm are the ones who need to connect to a server for online play or whatever and most of the others can just be copied from the /common/ folder and even be run on a machine that doesn't even have steam installed
>>
Dont ever try that shit again OP
>>
>>386632332
you pc gamers are stupid illiterate people

NOT DRM
1) Download the files and run .exe from any system and anywhere in any hard drive

STEAM DRM
2) The decrypted .exe will work anywhere but you only get it by being connected to steam servers through the Steam client
a) if you copy your steam folder game to any other system it will run as long as you provide the DRM .exe steam provided
b) Steam free-DRM is a myth because the client itself does an online check to give you the decrypted .exe file to your account

TL;DR your retarded gif is only proving my point: you already have a decrypted .exe file provided by steam that is attached to your account by using a unique signature
>>
ALSO IMPORTANT TO ILLITERATE PC GAMERS

The executable .exe WILL ONLY LAUNCH IF:
a) you connect to the internet through steam client and it checks your account
OR
b)if you have already a decyrpted .exe file that was previously authenticated.
>>
>that's completely false I just waited a 3 hour download (slow torrent) to run the game and it only worked with the provided decrypted .exe some user provided in the last thread

See the gif at >>386631390.
Other example with 'D' like Dominions? Darkest Hour.

Also, it's amazing how retarded you are.
You are saying: "One unnamed game doesn't have this" to counter an existential assertion stating "there are some games that have this", for which proof has already been provided.
>>
>>386632705
read this:
>>386632560
>>386632651

You are too stupid to realize what the steam client does is the definition of DRM
When you download a REAL DRM-FREE game from gog it will work in any system without ANY KIND of signature or decryption
>>
>>386631729
You are fucking retarded and should immediately cease posting forever.
>>
Id wager my anal virginity op is either a poor console kiddie or someone whos lashing out because he got banned on steam
>>
>>386631032
Yes you can. Heard of mods? lol
>>
>>386633104
>>386633204
I'd wager that somehow one of richard stalllman's pubes gained sentience and the ability to post on online messageboards and we are now arguing with that single sentient pubic hair.
>>
>>386633204
sure, as long as you have the steamapi.dll and .exe authenticated you can modify whatever you want goy
>>
>>386633438
Jesus christ go get a job you fucking loser
>>
>>386633506
>don't have an argument
>g-go get a job!
>g-go have sex!
That's why pc gaming will always be remembered as degenerate 13 year old brazilians screaming on microphone
>>
>>386633438
Your entire argument rests on this single nebulous idea that steam provides you with an encrypted exe that is unique to your steam account and you can only launch games with this encrypted exe.

I want you to prove it.

I'll concede that steam is drm if you can provide irrefutable evidence that steam encrypts exes unique to individual steam accounts. I've provided evidence that some steam games can be run without steam. I'll wait here for you to provide your evidence.
>>
>>386631032
>breaking news
>OP suddenly learns how Steam has been working for a decade
wew
>>
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1
Fuck off retard
>>
gog is the way to go since i don't play AAA trash anymore
crpg games are on gog, most indies are on gog
I don't need anything else
Steam is only good for that few mp games to play with your friends
>>
>>386633615
>single nebulous idea that steam provides you with an encrypted exe
It's not an idea this is what happens. That's why it's not DRM-free like muh based Gaben fans claim.
I don't need to provide any evidence, you can test yourself. Pack your cancerous steam folder and try to run in a different machine and it won't run
>>
>>386633590
Get a job
>>
>>386633759
>I don't need to provide any evidence
KILL YOURSELF

FUCKING MORON

IF YOUR AIM WAS TO MAKE ME MAD GOOD JOB

YOU WIN

I MAD

FUCKING HELL IM GOING OUTSIDE FOR A SMOKE TO CALM DOWN
>>
>>386633759
I've done this multiple times with Terraria
It works fine
>>
>>386633759
when has steam ever given any fucks about representing itself as non-DRM? it's part of the package
>>
>>386633759
Already did, sent LISA to multiple friends and they had no trouble running it.
>>
>Gabe takes a huge shit on the Steam servers
>can't play singleplayer games anymore

Uhhhm, guys???
>>
>>386631621
>Ok so what's your alternative?
Pirating
>>
>>386633805
Why should I record myself trying to run the unencrypted file if anyone in this thread can test it in 5 minutes?
When you download a steam game if you don't have the authenticated .exe it won't run it won't even launch
>>
It's not like we have a choice, all the good games are only on Steam. Who fucking cares anyway, I can play the games now, I don't give a fuck about end of the world scenarios where Steam suddenly shuts down.
>>
Consider the following
>steam fan boy shills always refer to the "fact" that you don't own games you buy in steam (this opinion most likely comes straight from Valve)
>Valve tried to use this excuse in court to justify not obeying refunds " we don't sell products so we can't offer refunds"
>they got told to gtfo
>the steam store has refered to games as your games you own. On the store page when purchasing
Considering this why would anyone keep buying games from them?
>
>>
>>386631032
MASTER RACE WINS AGAIN BABY
>>
this morning my internet was out and I tried to play valkyrie drive without launching steam, and every time I tried to run the .exe the game would crash on startup. as soon as I launched the steam client the game would run normally.
>>
Does anyone here have trails in the sky the 3rd?
I'll provide the unecrypted .exe file and you replace in your folder and you'll see the game won't launch
>>
>>386633926
Depends on the game, many games run just fine which I know for a fact because that's how I shared them with my friends
>>
Just report the OP
Guy is clearly flaming pc gamers in general

MODS
>>
>>386634029
die scum
>>
>>386633926
>why should I provide evidence to back up my claims
You're literally 14 years old tops.
>>
>>386634016
what you share is basically a cracked game
A crack is simple a .exe that has a valid signature
you are sharing your signature that's ok but it's not DRM-free.
>>
>>386634115
this thread will be deleted soon because of muh feeling pc gamers
Make another thread that won't die and I'll post the .exe file that don't have online authentication and you'll see it won't run
>>
File: H-huh, what.gif (2MB, 158x246px) Image search: [Google]
H-huh, what.gif
2MB, 158x246px
>>386631032
>1) ...but you can't modify the files
...yes I can
I used a Source Randomizer just a few days ago on Half Life 2, it worked fine and runs without complaints
I even used it with Steam offline, to make sure nothing got updated back to normal
>>
>>386631032
If this is what you care about in life then you should be shot in the head for being a numale retard. No one cares if you use steam or not, dipshit.
>>
>>386633926
Where do you even get these so called unencrypted files?
>>
>>386634148
Where's your proof? How the fuck would you even get an unsigned game off steam?
>>
>>386631032
Alright, so, which of these points prevents me from playing my Steam games?
>>
>>386634235
>I even used it with Steam offline
No, you don't lmao. Try playing on real offline.
>>
>>386634272
>>386634280
I don't know where they release but I got one from CODEX (the pirate team)
The game without the .exe signed didn't launch here and the other user sent me his .exe and it worked like any crack would
Maybe there is an easy way to download unencrypted steam games but I don't even have steam here so I'm not familiar with the environment
Maybe they download the game and stop the internet connection before the activation
>>
I mean... I thought it was already pretty well known that Steam is just a glorified game renting service.
>>
>>386634382
holy shit lmao

look at this kid and laugh guys
>>
>>386631032
You never purchase the game itself
>>
>>386634382
So your argument is that steam itself is drm yet your proof is from a steamworks crack
lol ok
>>
>>386634364
You're literally denying thigs that are common knowledge
I can play any game on my Steam list when I don't have internet access

Are you trolling or just really fucking moronic?
>>
>>386634489
No, the .exe provided by the user is the proof he purchased the game and had a valid signature which worked as a crack (like any crack downloaded from any pirate team)
>>
OP here. Trolled you guys hard lol
>>
>>386634440
No, not renting. Renting implies you have to eventually return it. The only way you lose a game on Steam is if you violate the EULA, which usually means hacking or cheating in some way, which means you don't deserve to play the game. So, don't be a hacker and you're golden.
>>
>>386634526
Sooooooooo a steamworks crack
>>
>>386634495
>I can play any game on my Steam list
No, you don't. Try booting up your fucking computer without any online access.

Then play any singleplayer game you purchased on Steam.
>>
>>386634557
If I was a steam user I would run all my games offline in a separated hard drive without the steam client
That's better than allowing valve servers own the game I purchased
>>
>>386634557
You dont lose your game by hacking or cheating. If the game has vac you get banned from playing multiplayer but that's it.
>>
>>386634557
*Renting without time limit
You never ever own a game when you buy a game on steam.
If steam shut down you would lose your library.
>>
>>386634364
You mean not even using Steam? Okay gimme a second
How about now, even unplugged my ethernet for it
>>
>>386634606
I do that literally all the time lmao
Ever heard of offline mode?
>>
>>386634712
You have to be online to turn on offline mode.
>>
>>386631032
You're almost a decade late.
OP is a fag living under a rock.
>>
>>386634671
Prove it
>>
>>386634606
I do that all the time anon. My work requires that I travel, and sometimes I like to play games on my laptop when there's no wifi.
>>
>>386634671
the only games you don't lose are the games which provide the steamapi.dll which you previously authenticated
However most games don't work well without the client being online
>>
>>386634631
Why, though? That's a needlessly complicated way of doing things just to say fuck you to someone who already has your money.
>>386634647
Right, that.
>>386634671
Okay, and? "Here's this thing, you pay me and I'll let you use it as much as you want forever and I won't ever stop or hinder your play unless you break these very reasonable rules."
Also
>Steam
>shut down
Do you really see that happening? Be honest with me.
>>
>>386634712
>offline mode
>have to be online

Dumb fucking retard lmao
>>
>Steam client is DRM confirmed
Wow, never before in the >10 years steam has been around did i realise this, such a profound and insightful OP.
>>
>>386634745
Then what does Steam do when you turn on a PC with no internet connection?
>>
>>386634745
Is this nigga serious?
>>
>>386634745
Ok now you're baiting or just plain retarded
>>
>>386634745
>startup computer
>"steam couldn't connect to the internet, do you want to use offline mode?"
This is a feature that's enabled by default, so if it doesn't work for you that means you deliberately turned it off in the options menu
>>
File: olive_branch[1].png (180KB, 699x524px) Image search: [Google]
olive_branch[1].png
180KB, 699x524px
Hey OP I'd like to turn the other cheek here and offer to help.

What game were you trying to play offline that didn't work? How did you obtain that game?

Please be as honest as you can, I genuinely want to help you out here. I'm offering the olive branch, will you take it?
>>
>>386634834
Restrict you from playing any offline games.

That's why Steam users are sub-human retards who will make a thread in /v/ when Gabe takes huge shit on the Steam servers.
>>
>>386634814
Your trolling is pretty blatant and makes me wish mods actually cared
>>
>>386631032
and how's this news? we always knew steam, origin, uplay, denuvo etc. were DRM.
>>
>>386631032
Steam does nothing to prevent modification of game client files, the only danger is modding multiplayer games which may perform file integrity checks independently of steam.

>2) The binary files in your computer are only using your CPU/GPU as a parasite to connect to steam servers otherwise they are worthless
Steam games only look for an authentication token that resides on your local computer, you only need to connect to the steam servers once to generate this token.

There are some games like Frozen Synapse that do not perform this check at all, it's up to the publisher/developer whether they even utilise Steamworks DRM, which is part of the game .exe and independent of the Steam client anyway.

But steam does nothing to stop this, additionally, EULA's are not legally binding in most countries.

>4) You agreed to purchase the license to authenticate a game online, you don't purchase the game itself
This is true of literally all software.

>5) Valve DRM client called Steam allow third party DRM to connect o to third party servers without your consent
You get an EULA prompt when installing games with third party DRM, additionally, the presence of third party DRM is clearly listed on the store page.
>>
>>386634906
But...it doesn't.
>>
>>386634795
always online is the last bullet in the videogame's head
Always online is the first step into transforming video games in a huge MMO korean lan house
Every future game will be Dota and LoL due to this mentality
If Valve sold their games for 80 dollars but you actually owned the game and you could use your .exe file anywhere I'd happily migrate to pc gaming
>>
>>386631032
>EA employee tries to reduce Valve's market share by making shit up.
>>
>>386634876
Anon the problem is OP is just plain shitposting
i'm glad to see someone that wants to help on /v/ though
>>
>>386635021
Nah its just some bored neet
>>
File: 1428144230131.jpg (32KB, 397x417px) Image search: [Google]
1428144230131.jpg
32KB, 397x417px
>>386635021
>B-But [Other Company]
>>
OP sure is putting a lot of effort into this shitty troll thread. At least we get to see who the real retards are like >>386634992
>>
File: Coyote thinks not.png (62KB, 189x179px) Image search: [Google]
Coyote thinks not.png
62KB, 189x179px
>>386634906
Then apparently I've been gifted with the Olympian ability to have a normal, functioning PC that cares not for the follies of these lies and can run games no matter where I got them from, no matter what my internet connection says
Whatever man, these threads are pointless until someone finds actual evidence that Steam fucks me over in a way that isn't "oops I forgot to download that one game"
>>
>>386634876
not OP but I've seriously had issues with Denuvo games giving "cant launch this game offline" and family sharing not working, the game would appear in the shared library but after clicking play it was giving "failed to initialize steam API"
I'd basically had to reset the sharing settings and call my friend to exchange authorization codes each time we wanted to play.
10 minutes wasted every time
>>
>>386635127
well yeah denuvo games NEEDS to be online to work
>>
>>386634842
>>386634872
>>386634834

>Log off steam turn off computer
>Turn on computer later without internet
>Can't use offline mode

That's how it works.
>>
>>386634992
1. Steam is not always online. It has been said countless times in this thread that just about all single player games on Steam can be played offline. Always online is shit like Sim City 4 where if you're not online it prevents you from playing the game entirely.
2. You are the worst kind of alarmist who thinks one minute trend = overwhelming majority. Fact of the matter is no, very, very few games require "always online" outside of online multiplayer.
3. No, no they won't. That's both insane and retarded. That's intarded.
4. No you wouldn't and console games have just as much, if not more DRM than Steam does. You think you own that disc? You think the software you use when you download off XBLA or PSN etc. is yours? Check their pages, they have EULAs too. Sorry, anon, but you're no better off than anyone else. Just play your games and don't cheat and you will never see any problem ever with any of them.
>>
>>386635082
Where has Gaben touched you? You're acting scandalous even though no one In the thread actually bit your bait so I am inclined to believe you are indeed what the other anon said, some poorfag mad he doesn't have a gaming pc
>>
File: v.jpg (163KB, 1246x760px) Image search: [Google]
v.jpg
163KB, 1246x760px
>>386635021
>>386635074

Fuck you scum
EA and Valve are the same garbage. Their clients are DRM which allows third party authentication provided by Denuvo
It's embarrassing that you idiots eat this shit up and praise lord gaben because he set up a fucking fake sale once a year selling ubisoft, indie and anime waifubait garbage
>>
>>386635184
What
>>
>>386635184
Literally false. Have a (you) and kys
>>
Is this the future we chose?

Everyone becoming a shit-eating V.alvedrone playing Dota 2 forever and ever and ever and ever?
>>
File: 1488734662938.png (228KB, 1102x290px) Image search: [Google]
1488734662938.png
228KB, 1102x290px
>>386635182
so even this error is due to Denuvo?
>>
>>386635246
Is that your profile in the screenshot?
>>
>>386635184
>Log off steam turn off computer
>Turn on computer later without internet
>Gaben will shower you with money and you'll get free blowjobs from hot Valve employees for life
I can make shit up too
>>
>>386632651
You fucking stupid cuck. You have to be connected to the internet to download it. It decrypts right after download. Literally five seconds. Go into offline mode permanently if you want, enjoy your game.
>>
>>386635194
>You are the worst kind of alarmist
I'm saying what's going on you dumb fuck I'm not trying to say what will happen in the future
This is already happening. Look at the thousands of MMO garbage we had since 2015 and they are promoting e-sports and putting money on it in the billions of dollars
People that play online games forget about the bad quality of the game
Proof: I played CS 1.6 a lot even though knowing the game was glitched to the extreme and every server had at least 60% of wall-hackers.
>>386635332
I don't have steam account since 2009
>>
>>386631032
Yeah no shit it's DRM, I thought everyone knew this already? Also, who gives a shit
>>
>>386635313
Jesu Christ jannies/mods do your fucking job
>>
>>386635325
How will Val.vecucks explain this?
>>
>if you pirate a game but don't crack it the game won't launch

wow what a shit shattering discovery
sage
>>
>>386635380
>I don't have steam account since 2009
yes we can tell
now fuck off pajeet
>>
>>386635380
GUYS! HOLY SHIT, GUYS, COMPANIES FOUND WAYS TO MAKE MONEY! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD, GUYS, LOOK OUT! THEY'RE UTILIZING POPULAR MARKET TRENDS TO REAP PROFIT! HOLY SHIT, WHAT DO WE DO!?
The irony of that retarded 1.6 comment is that VAC secured servers would help combat that problem.
>>
>>386635282
>>386635363

I'm bad at explaining stuff, but that's basically how offline mode works : https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/245812/start-steam-in-offline-mode-without-an-internet-connection
>>
someone pls dump some nudes. op is a literal retard
also steam drm is not encrypted, you can go in and mod bunch of steam dlls in the game using ollydbg
>>
>>386635553
Get a job and acquire a brain
>>
>>386635194
Also while it's true PSN digital games are not yours forever the fact any PS4 will play discs games (used or not) it's better than having to rely on third party severs to authenticate your games
You can even download firmware updates from PC to usb so you don't ever need to connect your console to the internet
>>386635504
That's a lie though I have a friend who played CS:GO in 2015 using paid hacks without any issue
he paid 15 euros and got very good wall-hacks
>>
>>386632778
I recently put ffxiv on an external HDD and exported it on my gf's PC.
The launcher, as well as the game worked after importing all the assets. That includes secondars folders under "my documents" that contain interface and hotkey data.

>inb4 it has DRM free standalone PC version
>>
>>386635380
You're such a fucking retard. Shitty Korean MMOs have been around for-fucking-ever, e-sports is getting bigger but so have playerbases so that's not news, people have been playing bad games since the dawn of time, and playing CS doesn't prove anything. Quit being an ass.
>>
>>386635595
Kys steam shill.
>>
>>386635616
Guarantee your friend Sergei is on his 3rd or 4th Steam account by now, Pajeet.
>>
>>386635553
>I need to play a game on steam without logging in first
It can't authenticate, problem solved. Log in once and you're good, it's not difficult.
>>
>>386635649
because she has steam client
>>386635668
Every year there are hundreds of new MMOs and always online is the perfect future for this to be the standard
Soon every country will be like korea since companies make a lot more money making shit online games than a 60 hour single player experience
>>
>>386635773
Companies make more money off mobile than anything and we're not seeing a drought of PC/console games you fucking moron.
>>
>>386635760
"CS:GO is hack-free'' is a myth
The game's code itself is hack friendly. The fact you can purchase a good wall hack and get undetected shows that a fucking indian or chinese programmer can bypass the shit Valve anti-cheat system
>>
>>386635773
Considering how fucking good Korea's internet is? And the fact that there are large areas where it's completely free? Bring it the fuck on.
>>
>>386635761
>have to be fucking online to play my games
You just proved him right.
>>
steam is a fucking monopoly. Valve is a fucking rent-seeking parasite

I hope they get fucked up as soon as possible by the competition.

my biggest desire is to see the fucking parasites at valve fail or go through substantial financial difficulties and then start making products again
>>
>>386635841
"Local special ed. boy thinks that because Valve does batch bans that he and his shitty Russian friends will never be caught."
>>
So what happens to my games when valve goes under?
>>
Use GOG you plebians
>>
>>386635553
Wait, are you complaining that you can't just run an exe without authenticating at least once? Because that's all it takes, just once. Otherwise you could copy and paste your steam folder onto anyone's hdd and they could play everything. You're not so stupid that you think Valve should require devs to release their games with literally no protection, right? Right?
>>
>>386635924
They are all gone. :)
>>
>>386635886
This anon speaks the truth
Most pc gamers deserve Valve because they are too retard and too arrogant to support Gaben and his stupid monopoly
>>
>>386631032
>>b-but why should I care I just want to play gaems xD
when you have to reply to the logical responses, your argument was not good enough and you've already filed your concession
>>
>>386635886
>monopoly
Except for Origin, PSN, BNet, XBLA, Windows Live...
>>
>>386635957

So then my paypal and credit cards get refunded the few hundred dollars I've spent on games then, right?
>>
>>386635917
a fucking 15 euro hack made by chinese/indian programmers can bypass valve anti cheat
It's embarrassing to even consider valve anything other than a scam company
>>
>>386636018
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA
>>
>>386635873
See >>386635956
>>
>>386636036
"Special ed. boy continues to not understand what 'batch bans' means and coats his wall with a fresh paint of his own feces. More at 11."
>>
Cds are drm let's ban them too
>>
File: 1484925472864.png (114KB, 1142x385px) Image search: [Google]
1484925472864.png
114KB, 1142x385px
>>386635438
this was support answer btw
>>
File: fc8tuTkCRuu6z8DbJzrOKw.png (191KB, 1504x1039px) Image search: [Google]
fc8tuTkCRuu6z8DbJzrOKw.png
191KB, 1504x1039px
>>386635184
>disconnect myself from the net
>startup stronghold HD
>*wooosh* it works
fuck off.
>>
>>386635924
>>386635957
>>386636018
>>386636038
Stop replying to yourself. It's pathetic and masturbatory.
>>
File: 454.jpg (58KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
454.jpg
58KB, 640x640px
>>386636087
>stays undetected for 4 months
>b-but at least he lost his account
>>
>thing I don't like is bad thing
>here is why
>evidence is literally mental gymnastics
Kys OP
>>
>>386635924
At worst, same as if your house were to burn down in regards to physical copies.
>>
>>386631032
You're all dumb fucks you can have a pirated copy of a game if you own the game legally drm baby's btfo
>>
File: 1497703585323.jpg (45KB, 460x465px) Image search: [Google]
1497703585323.jpg
45KB, 460x465px
>>386631729
Okay, let's test this
I downloaded a DRM free game on steam called Super Crate Box. After that I downloaded the game from official site (it uses a version distributed on YoYo). I've changed the exe from the site version of the game to steam version and launched the game with no issues. Where's your argument now? Steam is not DRM, Steamworks is. Nearly all of the games use steamworks though, but that's irrelevant to your point. You have no idea what you're talking about, end of story.
>>
>>386631032
>not an argument
It is, until you explain how all of this affect the avarge gamer who only want to buy and play vidya?
>>
>>386636136
Steam support doesn't give a shit about tech issues, they don't communicate with the devs and don't have time to troubleshoot anything. They'll look into account stuff but otherwise you'll get a template response like your pic.
>>
>>386636309
the game specifically bypass the authentication
DRM is enabled by default
>>
>>386636359
it was related to steam though
see the error>>386635325
I dont think steam API has anything to do with square enix
>>
>>386636309
>super crate box
oh shit anon you're bringing out memories
>>
>>386636365
No it isn't, you stupid fuck. It's ubiquitous because it's easy to add, but Valve isn't able to magically inject DRM into a dev's source files. Do you think before you post?
>>
>>386636365
I can uninstall the steam and launch the game. I can copy the game's files downloaded from steam to another computer with no steam installed and launch the game. With exe being cahnged there are no other files in game that can hold the authentication data. The game is 100% DRM free. Steam allows you to download this 100% DRM free game. This is not an exception to the rule, this is how the system works. Steam is not DRM, Steamworks is DRM.
>>
LMAO you guys are still replying to this guy? Seriously?
>>
>>386636423
I meant ANY devs. The outsourced dude sitting at a tiny desk trying to clear out his tickets as fast as possible doesn't have the ability or time to contact anyone on the Steam dev team.
>>
File: 1495020510245.png (296KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1495020510245.png
296KB, 450x450px
I'm too lazy to read the thread, is OP retarded or banned or something?
I'm just gonna assume it's one of those because these threads usually end up that way.
I may or may not drop back in to check replies, any answers are appreciated though.
>>
>>386636454
Given the fact 99% of steam games inject encryption to your.exe the client it is a DRM indeed because you can't download from any other source
>>
File: 1301537945739.jpg (21KB, 404x402px) Image search: [Google]
1301537945739.jpg
21KB, 404x402px
2YL2C-A4JMC-8RE#P # - 6
>>
>>386636529
and this excuses them how?
it's kinda shitty considering that it was due to their DRM and not my machine. in fact if the exe was clean it'd launch with no problems
>>
I never bought a single game until I started using steam, now I have the 11 year badge
>>
OP here
you idiots don't realize I'm not against you buying your shit DRM games
I'm just saying you should stop spreading lies about muh offline/drm friendly games because 99% of the time the client acts like a DRM
>>
>>386636606
He's retarded. tl;dr he thinks it's bullshit that you can't run a game without authenticating at least once, i.e. he expects that all devs should release their games without any sort of protection. I think he's realized that's a shitty argument so now he's trying to save face by lying ("you can't play games offline ever!") but it's not working.
>>
>>386636721
your retarded arguments have been beaten time and time again, and yet you continue. fuck off.
>>
>>386636645
>at
what game was it
>>
>>386631390
Bitch please, run any binary from your library of downloaded games and it's going to simultaneously launch STEAM in the background.
>>
>>386636745
What argument? that steam offer a few DRM free games? yeah even so odds are the "DRM free'' is simply bundled with a unique signature
>>
>>386631032
>when your platform is so shitty that not even free games help you and you need to shit on rivals

At least try harder EA-boy.
>>
>>386631413
>>
>>386636662
I don't know what the problem is so I don't know who to blame, might be something fucked with your Nier files that's causing it to not work with the Steam API correctly. Either way Steam support isn't equipped to handle it; it would be like calling Sony because a game crashed on your PS4. The support team won't know the cause, they won't be able to contact the PS4 dev team, and they won't be able to contact the game devs either. At this point you're coming off as an entitled little shit though. If you ever get a customer-facing job you'll realize you're a dipshit.
>>
>>386636973
>Either way Steam support isn't equipped to handle it
They don't even have a support team. Valve is cancer and Gaben is the man responsible for destroying video games
>>
>>386636973
>I don't know what the problem is
you could follow the reply chain and find out in a few clicks, files were validated anyway and I made it work downloading the crack only.
>it would be like calling Sony because a game crashed on your PS4
which is their responsability considering it has to pass SONY QA, you cant publish anything on consoles without MS/SONY/NINTENDO approval and (shitty) QA
>>
>>386631242
False as fuck In Navy currently went on multiple times out to see for 3 to 4 months at a time no internet no issues on laptop.
>>
>>386637079
You're joking but I used to work for a company that Steam outsourced support to. They were hell to work with apparently. More concerned with getting through tickets quickly than solving problems since the backlog was so large. Also a lot of the tickets were Russian kids trying to scam their way into accounts, and there's only so much of that you can take I guess.
>>
>>386637147
>which is their responsability
Nah it really isn't. Grow up, kid.
>>
How many years has PC gaming been "dying" for now? Is it 20 or nearly 30 now?
>>
>>386633104
He already admitted to being a console kiddie see >>386631413
>>
>>386637183
>More concerned with getting through tickets quickly than solving problems since the backlog was so large
That's because solving problems is the job of the Steam developers, not the support monkeys
>>
>>386637572
I only play old games and DRM free GOG
fuck off scum
>>
>>386637631
>>
>>386637631
But GOG is DRM because you can only download their games from gog.com. So you're a hypocrite and a retard wow good job.
>>
OP real question, are you a toddler or just retarded?
>>
>>386631032
who gives a shit ?
>>
you seem quite mad
>>
>that destruction of OP
You did well today anon
>>
>>386637537
PC gaming has been dying since the NES came out, PCs on a whole have been dying since the palm pilot
>>
>>386637784
:)
>>
File: readthegif.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
readthegif.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>386631032
>you can't modify the files
yes you can
>The binary files in your computer are only using your CPU/GPU as a parasite to connect to steam servers otherwise they are worthless
this makes no sense, and also, you can play in offline mode
>offline it's still illegal
lol wtf are you stupid kiddo ?
>You agreed to purchase the license to authenticate a game online, you don't purchase the game itself
wellcome to Steam, Sherlock
>Valve DRM client called Steam allow third party DRM to connect o to third party servers without your consent
top kek, in the market page of every game you can see if a 3th party drm is necessary or not. You can allways buy on Ubistore or Rockstar store, nobody give a shit.

>I tried to run the game without the crack and it doesn't work.
are you dumb ?

>Steam is a fucking scam even their ''offline'' games are bundled with DRM encryption
>Even Steam games that run offline need a fucking crack to decrypt the file.

yes, you are dumb
>>
>>386631032
That's good. I don't want games to be played the vidya equivalent of niggers.
>>
File: GOODGOY.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
GOODGOY.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>386638171
>you can play in offline mode
only after you authenticate the files using valve servers
>>
>>386638253
You really should buy games to support developers you like. You should also buy music to support musicians you like.
>>
File: piccolonium.jpg (69KB, 432x531px) Image search: [Google]
piccolonium.jpg
69KB, 432x531px
>>386638253
>you need to use internet for using internet

even when you buy a PC that needs steam, it says in the back of the cover

Minimum Requirements:
>Internet connection for Steam activation

If you are poor, there are planty of others hobbies less damanding than videogames anons.
>>
>>386638253
your point?
>>
>>386638253
are you telling me I have to use some kind of download platform to download my digital games? THANK YOU JEWS
>>
>>386636721
Moving the goalpost already? I thought you'd put up a longer fight than that.
Incase you don't understand you went from steam is drm to steam is drm sometimes
>>
>>386638628
>already?
it's been literally hours dude.

let him move his goalposts.
>>
>>386638392
thanks doc
>>
>>386637147
Did you think to contact the game's support channels?
>>
>>386631032
It's not like the DRM is breaking the game.
>can't modify the files
What are you talking about?
>Workshop
There are loads of modified files there.
If you want to mod a game that isn't workshop friendly, THEN DON'T BUY IT ON STEAM. It's very simple really.

DRM is a problem when it eats up all your resources or keeps you from playing the game.

Get more RAM. Get over it.
>>
>>386638392
>>386638437
>>386638590
>>386638628
steam users are the cancer of video games
>>
>>386639090
>ignoring all the posts that btfo your pathetic arguments

lmao epic dude
>>
>>386639090
I'll remember how cancerous I am while playing my Steam backlog of 500+ games and laughing at you consolefags obsessing over playing whatever open world bullshit agme you pre-ordered cause you were so starved for games
>>
>>386632075
WE WUZ SHLOMOS AND SHIET YOUR RAYCISS-ASS CRACKA GOY MOFO

REMEMBA DA SIX NIGRILLION BEYOTCH
>>
>>386639298
>500+ games
all garbage, the only good game that is better on pc than on PS4 is Dark Souls 3
>>
>>386631032
>He doesn't know that even physical versions are still restricted to a license, meaning that you still don't """own""" the game.
>>
>>386639427
how's the entire sim genre on PS4? good?
>>
>>386631729
>The point of this thread is to show to steam shills that they lie everytime they say Steam client is not DRM
Literally no one says this. This is like if I started a thread to counter console babies who say consoles outperform PCs graphically. Pointless thread.
>>
>>386631032
Not only are you wrong in general, you are wrong with specificity.
http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games
>>
>>386639671
why do you play garbage?
>>
>>386639812
a bunch of shovelware facebook tier games
>>
>>386639864
why do you play a single game for 2 months until the next big release comes along?
>>
>>386639917
Aren't your arms getting tired from moving all those goalposts
>>
>>386631032
>Games are stored in your computer but you can't modify the files
But that is wrong, I mod games all the time. Shit I have dragon's dogma installed right now with into free restored as the main menu ost.
>>
>restate a bunch of shit that /v/'s known about for years
>somehow groundbreaking
>nu-niggers will think this is some ebin redbillin :DDD
Propel yourself into the void of outer space, fagnigger.
>>
>>386640006
it's a fact only shovelware has real DRM-free on steam
Enjoy giving your money and your library to gaben you asshole
>>
>>386631729
>if you have a .exe provided by steam
you buy a game from a provider... who do you want to give you the binary? mother theresa?
also, it is not encrypted in the slightest
do you even Steam, my lad?
>>
File: 1501429555427.jpg (39KB, 480x241px) Image search: [Google]
1501429555427.jpg
39KB, 480x241px
lmao keep crying poorfag
>>
File: 1500013588669.jpg (61KB, 260x273px) Image search: [Google]
1500013588669.jpg
61KB, 260x273px
>>386635184
That's wrong you dumb nigger
A few years ago when I moved house I didn't have internet for a month straight yet offline mode worked fine.
>>
>>386640140
>it's a fact only shovelware has real DRM-free on steam
Well yeah, if the game is worth a damn it's going to be protected so children like you can't just pass it around on a thumb drive. It's also a fact that Steam itself doesn't require or inject DRM as you initially stated, cocksucker.
>>
File: 1488735692079.jpg (38KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1488735692079.jpg
38KB, 720x540px
Hey OP, just so you know, shitposting aka bait aka trolling is meant to be low effort comments that generate huge numbers of replies. It's not really "trolling" if you're wasting just as much if not more of your own time as everyone elses.

The best quality bait is when you can spend 30 seconds making a thread, go jack off for two hours and come back to 400 replies. If you have to babysit your own thread you're not really trolling, you're just being retarded on purpose for no reason.
>>
>>386631557
This
and all the faggots are ignoring this post.
you can edit all the inis of games which are made in unreal, and it's not illigal of it was there wouldn't be threads on guilty gear and sfV ini editing to help toasters to play those games. I think I have even seen a dev in sfv thread on steam helping people to edit inis to maximize performance.
And games like dustforce don't even require you to open steam.
Its upto dev to if he want to implement steamworks or not
>>
>>386640425
>It's also a fact that Steam itself doesn't require or inject DRM as you initially stated
Not 100% of the time but they do
And that's even worse in games that have both SP and MP because the SP can't be loaded without online checks
>>
File: 1470241257295.jpg (29KB, 628x380px) Image search: [Google]
1470241257295.jpg
29KB, 628x380px
>>386631032
>Greentext question concerning the actual point of all of this
>State that the question is not an argument in order to avoid answering the question
/pol/ was a mistake.
>>
>>386640583
>DUDE I don't mind
>question
Bye neogaf
>>
>>386640531
>Not 100% of the time but they do
No it doesn't you thick motherfucker, it's opt-in.
>>
PS4Pro + Linux for internet + windows 7 for pirate = masterrace
>>
File: no_steam2.webm (3MB, 768x360px) Image search: [Google]
no_steam2.webm
3MB, 768x360px
Ending the thread here
>>
>>386640650
>Why should I care?
>Not a question
Hello /pol/.
>>
>>386639090
at least i don't have to pay additionally if i want to play any of my shit online, despite already paying for my internet in the first place. get aids.
>>
>>386640763
>look I posted again
you are the retard that went to the other thread to download this webm or you completely ignored the game don't run without your specific .exe
>>
>>386640875
>DUDE I AM SUPERIOR MASTER RACE BECAUSE I CAN PLAY MEMEWATCH AND DOTA 2 ONLINE WITH MY FRIENDS
fuck off scum
Enjoy your shit Gaben's service and send him another birthday card
>>
File: Варг_Петух.jpg (71KB, 394x356px) Image search: [Google]
Варг_Петух.jpg
71KB, 394x356px
>>386631032
>not an argument
Then neither is your whole post. Shoot yourself, you goddamn idiot.
>>
File: DeusEx2.png (7KB, 440x162px) Image search: [Google]
DeusEx2.png
7KB, 440x162px
>>386640763
Ending you here
>>
File: 1378701676561.gif (176KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1378701676561.gif
176KB, 500x333px
>>386640929
>this thing that literally proves me wrong doesn't because I say so.

Calling me stupid doesn't stop this webm from BTFO'ing you.
>>
>>386639812
If you need a list of games that don't use Steam DRM, it means Steam is DRM.
>>
>>386640984
enjoy giving your money off to sony and microsoft so you can play halo 59 and rebuy the 31st ps1 remaster title because you don't get any new shit that's actually worth a flying fuck.
>>
>>386640984
Why so pissy? It's just video games
>>
File: 1496624920563.jpg (13KB, 224x219px) Image search: [Google]
1496624920563.jpg
13KB, 224x219px
>>386641017
>a screenshot of an image that could easily be doctored is somehow better proof than actual recorded evidence of something happening.
>>
>>386641083
For the umpteenth time, the Steam Client itself is not DRM, steamworks is. The fact that a majority of developers use steamworks doesn't change that.
>>
>>386641209
>Actually denying the existence of Steam DRM on the internet.

Go ahead. Put your HL2 DVD into your drive and try to install or play it without Steam.
Oh wait. You are way too young to own non digital games.
>>
>>386641083
If there's a list of games on Steam that don't have DRM, it means Steam isn't inherently DRM
>>
>>386639864
>anything you mention is garbage
excellent argument my man, truly an apex in human debating. get aids.
>>
It is like OP can't understand what SteamGuard is
>>
>>386641337
I have plenty of digital PC games. Not sure what that or my age have to do with the webm I posted.
>>
>>386631032
Welcome to 2004 retard.
>>
>>386641179
because you retards keep arguing that steam is not drm just to make you feel better about buying garbage
>>
>>386641316
Steam had DRM built into it since 2004.
Steamworks didn't exist before 2008.
>>
File: shut the fuck up.gif (4MB, 296x235px) Image search: [Google]
shut the fuck up.gif
4MB, 296x235px
>>386640929
>the game don't run without your specific .exe
SHUT

THE

FUCK

UP
>>
>>386641494
>anything you say is garbage
once again, excellent argument my man.
>>
ITT people who have no idea what Steam and Steamworks are or what they have to do with each other
>>
Not gonna read an entire thread from autists. But Steam in itself is a store that offers developers a way to DRM their games with a "feature" called Steamworks. On top of that developers add 3rd party DRM. Why you retards pay for these overpriced fames with these drms is beyond me.
>>
>>386641503
1) where did you get that .rar?
2) isn't this one of those few selected titles that don't have steamapi.dll?
>>
>>386631363
>going on 9gag
>>
>>386641017
This is only evidence that Deus Ex: Human Revolution uses steamworks as drm. This is not evidence that steam is drm. Multiple posts ITT show steam games being run without using steam. Therefore steam itself is not drm, steamworks is.
>>
>>386641347
The only reason Valve crated Steam is to DRM their own games.
It's purpose is being DRM. Therefore it is inherently DRM.
>>
>>386641635
steamworks is an API you tech illiterate fuckwit.
It gives 3rd parties access to the Steam DRM that has been INHERENT IN ITS DESIGN SINCE ITS FIRST RELEASE
>>
The one thing I don't understand is why would someone make such a thread? Is this really an issue to someone? Neither piratecucks nor buyfags give a fuck, which is evident since Steam is the single absolutely most popular distribution platform out there, so WHO makes these threads?
>>
>>386641635
>Multiple posts ITT show steam games being run without using steam
That's false. Download a game from piratebay that is steam exclusive (like Trails in the sky the 3rd) right now you can't run the game unless you have authenticated .exe file provided by SteamPowered™
>>
>>386641682
Valve made Steam to sell their games.
>>
>>386641750
I LITERALLY JUST DID THAT YOU MONG

LOOK >>386641535
>>
>>386641682
The first part is correct, the last isnt, because developers have the option to not implement Steamworks. But we know most of them do.
>>
>>386641745
>Why would you want to own your games anyway
>>
>>386631032
>tfw never once used steam
still feels wrong cause windows...
arn't those binaries also stealing -your- bandwith? or do you only count companies cause your obviously a shill?

this applies to pretty much every compiled thing ever but no one gives a fuck. what is hacking. what is a hex editor.
>>
>>386641745
Some buttburt console warrior or EA shill
Sage and move on
>>
>>386641745
>Is this really an issue to someone?
Always online combined or not with third party authentication is the cancer destroying video games
It's the reason why we have so much online garbage like For Honor, Overwatch, Dota 2, etc
>>
>>386641682
Except it's not, as proven multiple times ITT. Valve offers DRM features to devs who can opt-in, and devs can use their own DRM, but on its own Steam doesn't magically apply DRM to shit. I don't know how many other ways this can be said to get through to you dumb fucks.
>>
File: 1501331425580.gif (240KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1501331425580.gif
240KB, 320x320px
It's a good thing I've never used a computer without internet access since 2000.

You might as well be worrying about "what if we get hit by an EMP strike and no electronics work" with this kind of logic
>>
>>386641824
>implying consolefags actually own anything
nobody owns jack shit moron.
>>
>>386641824
You don't own any games you buy, regardless of where you buy them.
>>
>>386641824
>no steamworks mean I own the game
t. hits "accept" on installer EULAs
>>
>>386641864
>its own Steam doesn't magically apply DRM to shit
the definition of DRM is restricting and Steam is a client to offer third party restriction

Your argument therefore is: INVALID
>>
>>386641857
>is the cancer destroying video games
Nice opinion, too bad pretty much the entire PC gamer install base disagrees with you. Always online is something I don't even think about, because it has exactly ZERO meaning or consequence to me, since I don't live in Africa or some other shithole where internet problems are a thing.
>>
>>386641745
I pirate because of Steam, and it's because of you fantards masturbacion to a fat man and and a game that they got so big.
>>
>>386635773
She doesnt. The game is running without having steam installed.
>>
>>386641846
ffs i pressed cancel post, your fuckin servers are busted moot.
>>
File: cancer.jpg (317KB, 1916x720px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
317KB, 1916x720px
>>386641979
>he believes online gaming and social thing done by pc gamers is good
DIE SCUM
>>
File: 1461001798443.gif (3MB, 359x202px) Image search: [Google]
1461001798443.gif
3MB, 359x202px
>>386641857
>DRM is the reason people play multiplayer games
>>
>>386641949
it is not E N F O R C E D upon you in A N Y W A Y. it is up to the D E V S if they want the O P T I O N A L drm featuers you illiterate fuck.
>>
>>386641949
>Steam is a client to offer third party restriction
I want you to say aloud the words you just wrote. Steam is a client to offer third party restriction. Steam is the client that offers third party restriction. Steam is not the third party restriction although the steam client offers third party restriction. Do you see the delineation here? Are you capable of critical thought?
>>
>>386641889
>>386641937
Nobody can legally take your Half Life 1 disc or the right to install and play it away from you.

Valve can remove any digitally bought game from your library at will because they reserved themselves the right to do so and there are no legal protections on digitally bought ("subscribed to") games.
>>
>>386634814
>>386634745
>>386634834
>>386634842
>>386634872
You have to be online to go in offline mode if you don't set steam to remember your password. So he's actually right and you're wrong.
>>
>>386641824
Are you the copyright holder?
Is the game in the public domain?
If the answer to both of these questions is no, you do not own the game, even if you have a legally obtained copy of the source code.
>>
>>386641949
>the definition of DRM is restricting
So consoles are physical means of DRM?
>>
>>386641857
Steam has offline mode fucktard
>b-but you need to log in once
No shit. How would you even be able to buy games?
>>
>>386642059
>someone using funny niggerface is cancer killing video games
don't be so underage, /pol/-senpai
>>
>>386642095
>Nobody can legally take your Half Life 1 disc or the right to install and play it away from you.
read the eula
>>
>>386642083
The only reason steam exist is to offer
1) Tracking to the publisher for feedback
2) third party DRM
3) Steam authentication (DRM)

DIE SCUM
>>386642093
Critical though?
Steam client allows all kinds of DRMs, it's a DRM application. Period
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (127KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
127KB, 1280x720px
>>386642169
>ironic redditors are not destroying video games
yes they are
>>
>>386642105
Yes, as stated multiple times ITT you need to sign in once to authenticate, which to most people should be obvious.
>>
>>386642191
keep telling that to yourself when you go to sleep, and don't forget to pay sony and microsoft for your right to use your internet you already paid for.
>>
>>386642187
unless you live in China you permanently own the right to use any software you bought on a physical medium. Nobody can take that right away from you even if the EULA says something else.

Games you bought on Steam are not protected by this because it's a digital service, not a physical good.
>>
>>386642267
well, when is the almighty /pol/ gonna save them? huh?
>>
>>386642275
you don't have to sign in once. You have to sign in every time you want to install a game, even one you have a local backup of.

inb4 "!but some Steam games don't use DRM"
>>
>>386642297
Wrong, you even have the right to 28 day return from steam using the law
>>
>>386642095
>>386642297
Valve has the right to render your CD key invalid and thus prevent you from playing HL1.
They even did this with CD keys that were distributed with pirated copies so that you couldn't play online.
Read >>386642110, unless you made the game yourself you don't own jack shit.
>>
File: 1501852031946.jpg (593KB, 1804x1510px) Image search: [Google]
1501852031946.jpg
593KB, 1804x1510px
Things steam is responsible for:

1) early access
2) early access DLC
3) infinite cash bait (Star Citizen)
4) facebook 2.0 (steam community)
5) cam whores in exchange of gifts (see pic)
>>
>>386642297
>unless you live in China
or USA and many other countries
>>
>>386642368
>MUH /pol/ is being meeeeeeaaaaaaaan

EVERY FUCKING TIME
not even once you filthy reddit scum
>>
>>386642191
Or maybe provide an easy to use platform to play and purchase games
>/v/ is literally to underage to remember DRM like starfoce and securom
Publishers are always going to use DRM, Steam is the lesser evil
>>
File: smirk.gif (3MB, 957x671px) Image search: [Google]
smirk.gif
3MB, 957x671px
>>386631032
This has to be one of the most booty blasted autistic OPs I've seen here is a long time
>>
>>386642267
t. failing jealous youtuber
>>
>>386642095
>Valve can remove any digitally bought game from your library at will because they reserved themselves the right to do so and there are no legal protections on digitally bought ("subscribed to") games.
You are retarded. Please look into consumer protection laws and e-goods. I don't know how they work in your shithole of a country, but in EU every time you buy something online, you form a contract, regardless of whether something is signed or not. One-sided cancellation of a contract is something that is against the law and the beauty of EU consumer protection laws is that you don't actually need to sue anyone to get back at the seller, you just need to inform the consumer protection agency of a violation and they'll do everything themselves.

>11. One-sided changes to the product or service
>Terms which allow a trader to make changes to the product or service to be provided unilaterally and without a valid reason.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/unfair-treatment/unfair-contract-terms/index_en.htm

Also, the law itself states that the provider o services has no right to limit the buyer's rights to legal actions, so anything you sign in the EULA is literally irrelevant, if it somehow does not comply with the law.
>>
>>386642449
>Steam is the lesser evil
This is what 16 year old americans believe
>>
>>386642445
>mean
*angry and retarded
>>
>>386642373
they don't have the right and even if they did, they can't prevent you from installing and playing Half Life 1 offline or in LAN.

Half Life 2 however was the first single player PC game to have online DRM. Without an active connection to Valve servers you can not install it.
>>386642392
wrong
>>
>>386642370
As in, you have a copy of a game that you purchased on Steam, that for some reason isn't already in your Steam folder, and you want to move it into your Steam folder and play it without ever going online? Is that the scenario you're presenting?
>>
>>386631032
This shit was obvious when steam first came out
>Be 14 year old or whatever when Steam first released
>By this point had gotten tired of Quake was playing a lot of Team Fortress Classic and other Valve games
>Had dial up but was still able to play on local servers without and lag issues
>One day Steam comes out
>Steam is a massive bloated pile of shit
>Download will take days to finish
>For those you don't know phones cannot be used while a dial up connection is active and people refused to use cellphones all the time back then
>Can't play several games online anymore
>Had to wait a year to get broadband in my area
Fuck steam and fuck the retards here who worship Gabe & Valve
>>
>>386642501
>sign in the EULA is literally irrelevant
not in United States where they can terminate the contract and cease your licensing anytime they want
>>
>>386642501
it's not a digital good. It's a digital service. Very different.
>>
>>386642506
What would your solution be? No protection at all?
>>
>>386642445
>calling someone reddit while using reddit spacing
go back. when did you discover 4chan? before or after the primaries?
also, your answer was in no way an answer to the question. why hasn't /pol/ saved vidya, and when is it going to?
>>
>>386642506
>immediately jumps to ad hominen instead of trying to counter my points
It's easy to discern who's underage here buddy
>>
ITT: reddit pc gamers BTFO

MUH GABEN IS THE LESSER EVIL
MUH 500 GAME LIBRARY
MUH 3000000 HOURS IN CS:GO
>>
File: shogun2b.png (17KB, 486x280px) Image search: [Google]
shogun2b.png
17KB, 486x280px
>>386642530
yes
>>
>>386642524
>wrong
uh huh
*revokes your CD key*
>>
>>386642610
>>386642625
16 year old triggered that they fell for the Gaben is our Lord meme
>>
>>386642580
>it's not a digital good. It's a digital service. Very different.
The same law covers both.
>>
>>386642680
No, that was a legitimate question. What's your solution if one-time authentication is apparently too much for you?
>>
>>386642619
> why hasn't /pol/ saved vidya, and when is it going to?
those people went to double chan during the cuckening, no one is going to help.
>>
File: 1449449712465.png (397KB, 978x972px) Image search: [Google]
1449449712465.png
397KB, 978x972px
>>386642664
but valve offers steam to improve your gaming experience!
>>
>>386642629
itt: angry reddit console babies that are too butthurt they have to pay sony and microsoft to use their internet (which they already paid for)
>muh halo
>muh ps1 remasters which i have to buy again because what is backwards compatibility
>thinking cs go and lol are the only multiplayer games
so, so sad.
>>
File: ultimate drm.png (13KB, 601x645px) Image search: [Google]
ultimate drm.png
13KB, 601x645px
piracy is the only way to go. not even denuvo can save them.
>>
>>386642680
Still not a argument
>>
>>386642524
>they don't have the right
They do, read the EULA.
>and even if they did, they can't prevent you from installing and playing Half Life 1 offline or in LAN.
True, but they are allowed to sue you for copyright infringement for playing an unlicensed copy of their game.
>>
>>386642708
no it doesn't. Services and goods are treated differnetly. This is true both in the physical and digital world.
>>
>>386642756
You should pay for games by buying them directly from the developer's own websites.
>>
>>386642726
1) Get rid of steam client
2) no steamworks no DRM garbage
3) if Ubisoft wants to include uplay then the game .exe will connect directly to ubisoft not the steam client
4) Steam client is totally irrelevant it only serves to launch your games because publishers rely on steam to implement DRM
>>
>>386642524
>hl2 had DRM
yet people still downloaded it via cracked installers.
>>
>>386632312
oh, thanks anon, i will going work on ship soon and was worry a little
>>
File: dougie2.jpg (13KB, 156x234px) Image search: [Google]
dougie2.jpg
13KB, 156x234px
ITT: the vidya equivalent of
>AM I BEING DETAINED?!
>I'M TRAVELLING NOT DRIVING
>>
>>386642629
ITT: OP gets blown the fuck out multiple times and continues to shitpost
>>
This thread is shit.
Can anyone dump kemololi to kill it?
>>
>>386642664
First, that's a fucking retarded scenario. When would that EVER come up? Second, yeah, it will work for some games depending on the DRM solution they choose to implement. Bonus third: your pic's error message was created by the Total War devs who -chose- to implement Steam's DRM, you know that right? You just make yourself look stupider by the minute.
>>
>>386642835
>get rid of steam, but not uplay
ok.
>>
>>386642827
>no it doesn't. Services and goods are treated differnetly.
You are either retarded or so brainwashed you're literally disregarding what is said:
>Every time you buy a product or service from a professional trader, you're entering into a contract - whether it's signing up for gym membership, ordering car tyres online, getting a mortgage for your house or even just buying your weekly shopping from the supermarket.
>a product or service

>Under EU law, standard contract terms used by traders have to be fair. This doesn't change if they're called "terms and conditions" or are part of a detailed contract that you actually have to sign. The contract is not allowed to create an imbalance between your rights and obligations as a consumer and the rights and obligations of sellers and suppliers.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/unfair-treatment/unfair-contract-terms/index_en.htm
>>
>>386642708
No, it doesn't. You lose the right to refund a digital service as soon as you begin using it, and in Steam's case this begins as soon as you begin downloading the game from Valve's servers.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (66KB, 425x559px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
66KB, 425x559px
>>386642891
LOOK MOM I POSTED IT AGAIN
>>
>>386642835
fuck off ubisoft shill
>>
>>386642954
GET LE CAMERA XD
>>
>>386642835
>now everyone has their own shit DRM instead of an unified solution
Never post again
>>
>>386642954
>>386642986
reddit.
>>
>>386642835
...Why? If a dev is going to implement DRM who cares who it's through?
>>
File: sorry-for-racism.jpg (33KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
sorry-for-racism.jpg
33KB, 720x540px
>>386642945
>he believes companies will follow buzzword such as ''unfair'', ''just'', ''common sense''.
>>
>>386642891
can we?
>>
>>386642954
sup reddit
>>
>>386643062
I'm using ubisoft for the sake of the argument
There are like 3 kinds of DRM on steam other than Uplay
>>
>>386642945
You are talking about entering into a contract.
What we are actually discussing here is the termination of a digital service.
>>
>>386631032
>4) You agreed to purchase the license to play a game, you don't purchase the game itself
that applies even to physical copies on all platforms you fucking sperg
>>
>>386643201
technically no since my console can run offline as long as the hardware works and the discs will be playable for unlimited time
>>
>>386642909
>5 years from now
>Gayben has a heart attack
>10 years from now
>Valve bought out by Vivendi
>15 years from now
>Vivendi shut down Steam in favor of "Vivendi Store"
>Try to install Shogun 2 to play with old friend in LAN
>Can't because LOL DRM
>>
>>386642947
Stop spouting nonsense, you know jack shit.

>(1) Consumers in the EU have at least seven days to change their mind about goods or services they have ordered online from a trader. For goods, the withdrawal period starts from the date of delivery, for services in general from the date the on-line order was placed. Consumers can then withdraw from the contract without penalty and without giving any reason. Reimbursement of sums paid must be carried out as soon as possible and in any case within 30 days.

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/code-eu-online-rights#

>>386643069
I'm not talking about companies here, they don't decide what is "fair" or "just" - the government does. In the EU, if the contract terms and conditions are not judged as "fair" by the law, the contract is worth as much as toilet paper, probably less due to its shitty texture and paper hardness.
>>
>>386643139
Exactly. Devs have to protect their content so people can't just pass it around. Knowing that, why should every dev have their own DRM solution? What's the difference between Ubisoft using their own DRM versus Steam's? How does it affect you? Furthermore, how do you expect indie developers who can't afford to create their own to deal with it? They have to use a third party solution, yes? Why not a solution provided by the storefront?
>>
>>386643294
read the post again dumbass
>>
>>386643325
Yes, you are correct. And? See >>386643345
>>
>>386643325
>valve bought out
>by vivendi
if anything, it would be the other way around.
>>
>>386631032
But I just finished modifying files
>>
>>386643341
>the government does.
GOOD GOY
GOVERNMENT CARES ABOUT FAIRNESS AND PROTECTION
>>
>>386643447
>GOVERNMENT CARES ABOUT FAIRNESS AND PROTECTION
What kind of shithole do you live in where it doesn't?
>>
>>386643345
tons of indie devs created their own distribution and DRM.
Those who do both Steam and their own distribution system beg you to not use Steam because it's so much more expensive than their own solution.
>>
File: 1302190037737.jpg (34KB, 428x451px) Image search: [Google]
1302190037737.jpg
34KB, 428x451px
So who's the big autist here?
>>
>>386643345
>Devs have to protect their content so people can't just pass it around
As long as it doesn't require online authentication and/or connection to third party servers
If you defend anything other than that go fuck yourself back to neogaf
I hope that once fat Gaben dies Denuvo CEO buy Steam so he can fuck up your gaming and you'll be required to pay 50 bucks a year to play Memewatch 2 and Counter Strike GO
>>
>>386642752
>Mad reddit console
>When reddit home to r/pc master race
Surely a jest.
>>
>>386631032
I'd say that's a pretty valid argument. Nobody but the highest tier of autists limits their own access to games because they're paranoid about DRM.
>>
>>386643341
>they don't decide what is "fair" or "just" - the government does
they don't really. they leave it up to companies to do what they judge to be along these guidelines and only go after them if they think they're not being followed well enough.
>>
>>386631032
nobody's forcing you to use the service though

you can just play freeciv or whatever
>>
>>386642829
You can't do that in most cases.
>>
File: Germany 2017.png (128KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
Germany 2017.png
128KB, 650x365px
>>386643494
Eurotrash detected
>>
oh good steam is old enough that rednecks give a shit about it
>>
>>386643563
did you pay for your Xbox Gold membership this month?
>>
File: syndrome_it_down's.jpg (86KB, 666x363px) Image search: [Google]
syndrome_it_down's.jpg
86KB, 666x363px
>>386631032
>illegal

Neck yourself slowly... sensually... seductively.
>>
>>386643629
You should pay for games made by developers you like, regardless of how you pay for them (as long as it's with money, word of mouth doesn't pay bills).
>>
>>386643697
DUDE I HAVE 2000 HOURS IN UBISOFT GAMES I AM A TRUE HARDCORE ONLINE GAMER
>>
>>386643562
>As long as it doesn't require online authentication and/or connection to third party servers
That's not possible anymore. Maybe pre-2000s, but nowadays a system like that would let everyone pass around the files without even needing a crack. That's not protection at all. I'm sorry anon but you're living in a fantasy world. Or you're just a poorfag underage retard. Either way, kys
>>
>>386643341
>This right does not apply, however, if the provision of a service has begun, with the consumer's agreement, before the end of the seven working day period for the exercise of the right of withdrawal

Guess what, Steam makes you agree to this with every single purchase.
>>
>>386643578
Again, stop spouting nonsense, you now jack shit. There are systems in place that ensure that a single complaint filed against a trader to the competent national authorities, of which there is a very specific list for each EU country, will fuck over that trader very good.
>>
>>386643787
>That's not possible anymore
Thanks to pc gamers that normalized early access DRM and always online
The whole point of this thread is to show pc gaming was a mistake and Gaben makes money off idiots like people in this thread
>>
>>386643787
it was possible before Steam. No publisher would have dared to implement DRM like Steam before Valve popularized it among 14 year old retards
>>
>>386643743
calm down reddit. you'll vomit the doritoes all over your premium xbox gold membership card.
>>
>>386643934
>/r/pcmasterrace not in this thread
nice try
>>386643907
This
>>
>>386642524
>they don't have the right
https://pastebin.com/yiL9mBGf
>5. Termination.
>This License is effective until terminated. You may terminate the License at any time by destroying the Program and any New Material. The Licensor may, at its discretion, terminate this License in the event that you fail to comply with the terms and conditions contained herein. In such event, you must immediately destroy the Program and any New Material.
>>
>it's a brazilian favela nigger who's mad because they can't afford just about anything episode.
never change, /v/.
>>
File: laughing fruits.jpg (52KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
laughing fruits.jpg
52KB, 700x466px
>>386639317
>six nigrillion
>>
>>386644037
Literally the reason why we have this thread is because brazilians and europeans (steam users in general) can't understand what DRM is and why it's destroying the industry
>>
>>386631032
Reporting this thread to /r/againsthatesubreddits and the admins. You guys are done. Think you won? Guess what. Tolerance and progressive values always win in the end, Trumpists. Ever wonder what it was like to be Voldemort getting annihilated right after the Elder wand flew into Harry's hand? You're about to feel it tenfold once you feel the wrath of pissed-off, progressive redditors raging at the fact that Trumpers like you get to walk around even AFTER you've already won. You were supposed to graciously accept your (rigged) election results, give it a rest, and stay in /r/The_Cheeto rather than rub it in our faces that your Orange Hitler won. Now? It's time for you to be put in your places. You've already infected the precious mind of my beloved wife's son, and now you'll pay.
Edit: Just updated SRS, Resist, It's Going Down, and many other like-minded comrades on the existence of this cheeto Nazi recruitment forum. Stand down against Nazis? Fuck that noise. I'd turn down the ability to see the next five new episodes of Rick Sanchez fucking shit up in multidimensional hyperspace with his grandson just so I could have the chance to crush deplorables like you. Other progressive redditors reading my outcry for action against the bane of 4chan’s existence that is this thread, consider this: What if I told you that the Republic was now under the control of a Dark Lord of the Sith? I hope those who like the cut of my jib and my call to /r/esist take notice. Now is the time for action. Wubba lubba dub dub, motherfuckers.
>>
>>386644017
>in the event that you fail to comply with the terms and conditions contained herein
ergo they don't have the right unless you violate the EULA.

Meanwhile Steam's EULA says they can terminate at their own discretion even if you don't violate the EULA.
>>
>>386631171
There is literally nothing wrong with digital piracy
>>
File: 1502158959973.jpg (98KB, 425x300px) Image search: [Google]
1502158959973.jpg
98KB, 425x300px
>defending Steam
>doing it for free
>>
>>386643798
>Steam makes you agree
Steam can make you agree to sign whatever the fuck it wants, doesn't mean it has any actual legal binding. Again, the definition of fair contract terms and conditions exists for a reason. If you haven't yet played your game, you can refund it within 7 days legally and I'm sure Steam allows for an even less strict refund period by itself.

However, refund is not the matter of discussion here. The matter of discussion is that Steam provides you a service by giving you the rights to play a game and it cannot take that right away in a one-sided fashion, because that goes against the fair contract terms and conditions, specifically, against the part:

>6. One-sided cancellation
>Terms which allow a trader to dissolve a contract unilaterally but where the consumer does not enjoy the same right.

So no, Valve cannot take away any of your games, unless they refund them first, because that would be a one-sided cancellation of the contract.
>>
>>386644279
>Valve cannot take away any of your games,
documented history is against your argument
>>
File: 1490166650513.png (155KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1490166650513.png
155KB, 500x375px
>>386643848
>normalized always online
Not who you replied to, but is that why every game on the PC that tried this shit ended up getting boycotted to hell? PC gaming is the only place left where people don't just eat whatever shit devs shit out. Other examples I can think of are the crappy Batman port or the removal of mod support from GTA V, both of which also got called out. Consoles have always been the place where shitty practices took off because people who play those are usually too unaware and brain dead to realize they are getting fucked.
>>
>>386644207
>[shittalk (product or service)]
>whoa wtf people disagree with me
really made me think
>>
>>386644406
>PC gaming is the only place left where people don't just eat whatever shit devs shit out.
quite the opposite.
Xbox fans (fucking dudebros) got Microsoft out of the always online deal while people buy Origin, Uplay and Steam games all the time
>>
>>386644279
>This right does not apply, however, if the provision of a service has begun, with the consumer's agreement, before the end of the seven working day period for the exercise of the right of withdrawal

read your own source, dumbass

>Terms which allow a trader to dissolve a contract unilaterally but where the consumer does not enjoy the same right.
Terminating a service is not the same as dissolving a contract.
If you buy a lifetime gym membership that terminates when the gym closes, then the service ends at the gym owners discretion, i.e. when he decides to close.
>>
>>386631032
This has been known for almost 14 years, why is there a thread about it now?
>>
>>386644592
Give OP a break, he wasn't even alive back then.
>>
>>386643071
As long as it's either (loli AND (/u/ OR straight)) it's ok for me
>>
ITT: Valve shills tried to destroy the thread 14 times but it is still alive

:)
>>
File: 1499888284671.jpg (66KB, 700x473px) Image search: [Google]
1499888284671.jpg
66KB, 700x473px
>>386644465
>downplaying the autism ITT as "disagreements"
>>
>>386644402
>documented history
Go on, share some of that "documented history" and no, cases where a non-functional product was removed from the library because the devs fucked it up somehow do not count.

>>386644498
>read your own source
This has nothing to the argument at hand, dumbfuck, this part deals strictly with refunds.

>Terminating a service is not the same as dissolving a contract.
Depends entirely on how the contract was drafted. Valve has no clauses in its EULAs that specifically state that you own the rights to play the game for X number of years. Unless Valve actually goes out of business, terminating the service of giving the players the ability to play games would be equivalent to the dissolution of a contract, a one-sided dissolution that would get them sued.
>>
>>386644784
Go to sleep eurotrash
>>
>>386643804
>again
that's just how companies work, they push the legal constraints as far as possible for their own benefit. when there is no clear definition to what they can do, only "fair" limits, they have a lot of incentive to push for as far away as they think they can get judged away for being "fair" in a court. unless the violation is gross they're not going to get any real penalization for it either so the risk is easily worth it for them.
>>
>>386644784
>This has nothing to the argument at hand, dumbfuck, this part deals strictly with refunds.
https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/code-eu-online-rights
Section II, chapter 10, item 1
Your own source is telling you to eat shit.
>>
>>386644776
that goes for both sides tho
>>
>>386644784
>Valve may cancel your Account or any particular Subscription(s) at any time in the event that (a) Valve ceases providing such Subscriptions to similarly situated Subscribers generally
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/#9

"if we close down this gym, your lifetime membership is no longer valid. Please buy a new membership for our new gym down the block"
>>
>the euroscum is still using buzzword( fairness and unjust) articles from the european union to prove his games are safe in Valve's servers
>>
>>386644494
And yet Xbox was the one to introduce paid online and people happily ate that up, with PlayStation following suit and even raising prices somewhat recently. Go ahead and try that shit on the PC.

>Steam
You still get offline mode, even if it's wonky. I've been able to stay in offline for well over a month without needing to reconnect. That's not always online and you know it.
>Origin, Uplay
Barely anyone uses those. Though I remember Sim City 4 from EA getting shit for always online and I'm pretty sure that was on Origin.

Don't forget that GOG is a thing. Even if it doesn't have the much larger library of Steam, there's still a decent amount of people who buy from there to avoid all the DRM crap, and its library isn't restricted to a single publisher like Origin and Uplay basically are.
>>
>>386644918
The autism on one side is magnitudes above that of the other.
>>
>>386644592
Plenty of people today still claim Steam is not DRM, nothing wrong with continuing to spread awareness.
>>
>>386644860
The only thing it's telling me is that you are a shit-for-brains butt-blasted cuck who can't even read. This section deals with refunds, you fucking mongoloid, we're discussing a scenario where Valve would try to take away your games, not refunds. Stop grapsing at straws, you have no arguments, go choke on a burger or something.

>>386644856
The law > your shit opinion.

>>386645012
What's wrong with this, you fucking mongoloid? I have specifically stated this as one of the valid reasons for terminating a service. Do you have your head so up your ass that you think Valve should somehow provide you your games should they go out of business? Really?
>>
>>386643848
>early access DRM
What?
>>386643907
>It was possible before Steam
Literally exactly what I said. Here it is again:
>That's not possible anymore. Maybe pre-2000s, but nowadays a system like that would let everyone pass around the files without even needing a crack. That's not protection at all.
Get it yet? Unauthenticated CD keys aren't protection anymore. I'm sorry you guys can't afford games, but making everything essentially free isn't healthy for devs.
>>
>>386631032
This isn't true, it's a game by game basis. Mass effect 1 for instance you can launch the game exe without steam running
>>
>>386645110
the law IS the opinion of judges and legistrators because it defines itself as such
>>
>>386645043
That's what i'm saying, those steam are drm fellas need to take about 20% off
>>
>>386645210
>the law IS the opinion of judges
The difference between the law and your shit opinion is that the law is actually enforced. I can't believe I have to actually spell this out to someone.
>>
>>386643907
>No publisher would have dared to implement DRM like Steam before Valve popularized it among 14 year old retards
Publishers used much heavier and more intrusive DRMs before Steam.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (128KB, 873x691px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
128KB, 873x691px
>>386645040
Paid online is 100x less cancerous than always online and I don't even have a PS+ account
Everyone uses Uplay. If you bought The Division, Wildlands or For Honor you actually used uplay
Gaben is making money by allowing facebook 2 and selling games to brazilians and 14 year old kids
>>
>>386645043
nah
>>
>>386645110
>Do you have your head so up your ass that you think Valve should somehow provide you your games should they go out of business

Yes. For some bizarre reason I want to play the games I paid money for even after the seller has gone out of business.
>>
>>386645297
Doesn't invalidate the problem with it in any way though. Try reading what you're replying to.
>>
>>386645324
none of them required online activation. It was all disc based copy protection. Even Securom didn't require online activation until a couple years later.
>>
>>386645375
>Paid online is 100x less cancerous than...
stopped reading there
go beg your mom for more Live sub money
>>
I do wish GOG had a wider selection, especially from the bigger publishers. I would stop using Steam in a heartbeat. Valve can go suck a big black baseball bat.
>>
>>386631032
>have steam for 11 years
>have over 300 games
>never had a problem playing games offline or on
>I always have internet so drm shit means nothing to me

feels gud. still better off than any console fag.
>>
>Steam is DRM because you have to launch the game ONCE through the client that you can't download the game without to begin with anyway
Wow OP I can physically feel my rights being violated.
>>
>>386645495
>none of them required online activation
that's because they used more intrusive methods of verification.
>It was all disc based copy protection
nope
>>
>>386645412
>For some bizarre reason I want to play the games I paid money for even after the seller has gone out of business.
Then how about you buy physical copies then? How is Valve responsible for your retardation, if you chose to buy a game on Steam, instead of getting a physical copy?

>>386645495
What "problem"? Your previous posts are just nonsense, because there is a very specific list of what terms and conditions are not "just", THERE'S A FUCKING LIST OF THEM. How more specific do you want the law to get?
>>
>>386645516
>online check is better than paid online
only in your reddit sick mind
>>
>>386645587
what's more intrusive than having to register your game with an online service and having to reconnect to it every time you want to install it?
>>
>>386631032
wrong
how do anti cheat?
wrong
check ANY other online retailer
how the fuck is matchmaking done? lol like connect through steam duh
>>
>>386645615
The second part of my post was meant to be aimed at >>386645429
>>
ITT:
Shit that has been known for years
>>
>>386645642
paid online subscription has more online checks with more detailed information sending so it's logically more cancerous
>>
this thread: pc gamers prove they have low IQ, are mostly european trash and south americans.
>>
>>386645648
>every time you want to install it
Just curious, how often are you uninstalling and reinstalling your games while offline?
>>
>>386645615
Without DRM digital copies work forever even long after the seller and distributor are out of business.

With Steam even your physical copies are worthless because you can't install them without online activation.
>>
>>386645783
>paid online subscription
for people that play online also known as retards
Who even brags about online gaming in fucking 2017?
>>
>OP keeps making the claim that Steam provides encrypted .exes for 100% of its games (which, by the way, isn't reason enough to call the client DRM)
>No proof anywhere to back this up
And this thread got 500 replies? Damn.
>>
>>386645857
>Without DRM
That's not going to happen buddy. I know, it sucks that companies want to make sure they get paid for their work.
>>
>>386645857
>implying there is no such thing as crack
pathetic consolefags will go to great lengths just to justify their money wasting and inferiority
>>
>>386645375
>Paid online is 100x less cancerous than always online
Great. And the largest platform for PC gaming was already established not to have always online, so I don't get what point you are trying to make. Paid online is still really cancerous at the end of the day.
>Everyone uses Uplay
I haven't. My IRL friends who use Steam probably couldn't say what the fuck Uplay even is. I'm betting most people who installed Uplay for whatever reason don't keep it open all the time unlike most people do with Steam, just open it whenever they want to play and sign off afterwards.
>That pic
I'm supposed to give a shit about cherry-picked stuff on Steam? Oh my God, a bunch of degenerates are being degenerates. What a surprise.
This has nothing to do with the argument at hand.
>>
>>386645615
>What "problem"?
already explained
using terms like "fair" in laws without also clearly defining the criteria for "fair" makes executing those laws difficult and easy to push around with
>>
>>386645753
I'm pretty sure these threads are made by GoG shills, trying to market their service. Now, I'm not mad at them, because it's cruel to be mad at something completely irrelevant, but the thing they need to understand is that they sure as hell aren't making any more people use their service by spouting complete lies and then getting exposed.

Though, don't get me wrong, even though I use Steam exclusively, I'm not anti-GoG, because any attempts at competition with Steam are good, however futile they might be, since they give GabeN an incentive to get off his fat fucking and make Steam better.
>>
>>386645814
Being online is no good, if the authentication service required by your game no longer exists.
>>
>>386645876
>>386645642 does
>>
>>386645986
>And the largest platform for PC gaming was already established not to have always online
Which is 100% false all your Single player games from steam need online authentication
The only use of a PC is GOG and piracy
>>
>>386645969
a crack provided by your friendly neighborhood Chinaman who is totally not a government funded hacker.
>>
>>386636782
Witcher 3
Checkmate bitch
>>
>>386646094
>all your Single player games from steam need online authentication
Which is 100% false
>>
>>386645991
>using terms like "fair" in laws without also clearly defining the criteria for "fair"
Again, THERE'S A FUCKING LIST OF TERMS THAT ARE NOT "FAIR". IF THE CONTRACT CONTAINS AT LEAST ONE OF THOSE "UFAIR" TERMS OR CONDITIONS IT'S NOT A FAIR CONTRACT AND THEREFORE HAS NO LEGAL BINDING. Holy shit, m8, just stop.
>>
>>386646094
>making up lies on the internet

tsk tsk tsk
>>

You never "own" the game. Among the many lines gameboxes, discs, manuals, etc have always a line saying something like "the company can take the rights of purchase any time by legal bullshit"
Shit never happened because taking back physical is a troublesome. Digital is easier, just make the game unavailable be licence being over (like Marvel with MvsC2), or the contract with that service(steam, psn, live, nintendos) being over, or just taking down accounts by some excuse, or all service down to make a new brand one.
It will eventually happen one day, since shit like steam is going on for way too long, and companies need to make more money with old stuff over and over.

Lucky for steam, is that psn or live resell old games with achievs or trophies which makes people those games again. Then the android thing, or google, also made people getting the same old games AGAIN but in mobile way.
>>
>>386646143
>muh 1% of shovelware don't require online
yeah no one cares for that 1% of greenlight shovelware
>>
>>386646038
Alright, let's put some hypotheticals out there. Let's say Steam shuts down tomorrow, done, completely gone. It would either be up to the devs to transfer to a different service (Like how Dark Souls went from GFWL to Steam), or the devs will say fuck it and let it be a loss, in which case you're in the clear to crack it. So what's the problem?
>>
File: 1472153662443.gif (2MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1472153662443.gif
2MB, 500x375px
GOG
O
GOG
O
GOG
>>
>>386646094
In what fucking world? Am I being trolled here? I already said I have been able to stay offline from Steam for over a month.
>>
>>386646094
> all your Single player games from steam need online authentication
nope
>>
>>386646186
>Those games that prove my point wrong don't count!!!
>>
>>386646224
but one day you had to connect to steam ON TOP OF THAT some games like Batman and Just Cause 3 require you to log in online
Also some EA games also require you to login everytime you launch the game (Mass Effect Andromeda for instance)
>>
>>386646152
fuck off, why do you think digital companies are constantly in court about these issues? there are no specific terms to lot of the services they're offering these days allowing them to push beyond undefined terms of "fair" left and right.
>>
>>386646272
>the shovelware list no one cares about is the proof that steam is not a DRM
DIE SCUM
>>
>>386646219
you are not actually in the clear to crack it and even if you are, why would you ever use game binaries provided by professional criminals?

Game cracking isn't harmless hobby like in the 90s when it only took a couple lines of code to crack a game. There is a reason they all come out of China or Russia these days.
>>
>>386646298
>but one day you had to connect to steam
What a shock you had to sign into the service you purchased and downloaded games from. You serious?
>ON TOP OF THAT some games like Batman and Just Cause 3 require you to log in online
Which has nothing to do with Steam. Again, you serious?
>>
>>386631032
if it is DRM then how was i able to get games i bought on steam to work to work without steam?

checkmate atheists
>>
>>386646357
That's the only rebuttal you have?
Pathetic. You thread stands on a completely made up argument. I'm sorry for anyone who wasted their time with this thread.
>>
>>386646316
>there are no specific terms
OK, m8, believe what you will. I see that providing direct links to laws and regulations containing these exact "specific terms" is not enough to persuade you, which means you are simply delusional and beyond any help. Have a nice day.
>>
>>386646357
>DIE SCUM
this kid again
>>
>>386631032
Just go gog.com

What do you mean, "they're pirate" and "they used unlicensed cracks in the past" Well duh - how else do you break age-old DRM? And its pretty much the only legal way to do so.

If steam bothers you so much, support GOG. Besides, they're not "pirates", they're privateers
>>
>>386646186
I can run Fallout 3 and Witcher 3 without logging on the steam

I don't own either game, my brother does but I haven't logged on to his account from my computer for 2 years nor enabled family share
>>
>>386646298
>Steam is DRM because you need to log into the client once to download the game
You are retarded.
>>
>HURR YOU HAVE TO CONNECT TO STEAM ONCE TO PLAY A GAEM THIS IS BAD DURR
How is this an "argument"? You have to connect to gog once to play a game too, because you have to connect to gog to buy the said game. You gogcucks are completely insane, why are people even arguing with you?
>>
>>386646375
>you are not actually in the clear to crack it
But anon, the situation you presented is that the service that authenticates doesn't exist anymore. If it literally cannot be authenticated in any way then yeah, you are in the clear to crack it. Do you actually think developers are going to come to your house and physically root through your PC to see if you have cracked games?
>>
>>386646432
>made up argument.
>he still believes that DRM is not enabled by default
OBSESSED
>>386646527
Online authentication is the definition of DRM you autist
>>
>>386646435
so throw examples of limiting users to content based on conduct or IP history for example? you're not going to find anything about such common objects of how devs and publishers control their relation with customers in the law and there are no guidelines on how they should be employed.
>>
File: 1496461285356.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496461285356.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
>>386631032
>not using gog
>>
Was this thread really just one big GOG shill? Have I been duped?
>>
>>386646615
How about YOU prove that the encryption-authentification system is enabled by default instead of being left to the dev's discretion? You made this thread after all. Defend yourself.
>>
>>386646298
So you admit always online depends on the developer of the game and not the Steam platform? Amazing. Now you just want to move the goalposts because you realize you fucked up.
>>
>>386646435
>containing these exact "specific terms"
if the issues constantly taken into court would be covered there they wouldn't end up into arbitration in the first place
it doesn't matter how you ignore it but fact remains even the modern laws are not often enough effective for protecting customers reasonably well
>>
>>386646716
ubisoft
>>
>>386646720
>How about YOU prove that the encryption-authentification system is enabled by default
For the simple fact that devs have to remove the online authentication code when they are working with the steam api
By default all steam games have steam integration and when this happens they add the encrypted .exe to make sure you don't play in other accounts

NOTE: Once it's activated the .exe will run anywhere but only after it's activated which means after it goes through DRM
>>
>>386646629
>guidelines
What "guidelines" do you need? There are specific laws that specifically provide a list of terms and conditions that cannot be used in a contract, otherwise that contract has no legal binding. If you think there is such a clause in your contract, you file a complaint to one of the national competent authorities for consumer protection (aka protection "agencies"), of which there is also a specific list for each country, where they will evaluate your complaint and deal with the situation. Which part of this do you find ambiguous? Which part do you not understand?
>>
>>386646847
>devs have to remove the online authentication code when they are working with the steam api
Prove this. You keep making claims you don't back up.
>>
>>386631032

Thats bullshits. You can edit the games files, It depends on how the game is setup.
>>
>>386646847
100% false.
>>
>>386646893
I already did a lonnnnnnng time ago I offered the unecrypted .exe file for anyone to test in a specific game no one answered
The game simple don't launch unless you have an authenticated .exe
>>
>>386646716
You must be not the sharpest tool in the shed, brother.
>>
>>386647012
>I already did a lonnnnnnng time ago I offered the unecrypted .exe file for anyone to test in a specific game no one answered
Where? Also, this is not proof that devs have to remove "DRM code". This is proof that devs implemented it.
Unless you can cite the part in Steam's dev guide(s) that state that DRM is enabled by default, you're making a baseless claim.
>>
>>386633438
Those 2 things do not stop you from editing the files, only stop you from running it. You can still edit them.
>>
>>386646881
>What "guidelines" do you need?
I already told you, go read any cases with arbitration that had to be gone through because written law was of no use.
Is your argument for dated laws just "they are like this and work like this and they shouldn't be improved despite demonstrated need for improvement"? Because that's just an opinion, but these laws are designed specifically to not allow companies to do whatever the fuck they want with customers just because they can, or even to just push the law around as much as they manage to.
>>
>pirate game that isnt available on steam
>blackscreen at game start
>it stays that way
FUCKING MGS2, how do i fix it?
>>
>>386647234
It's actually illegal to modify software unless it's under GPL/BSD etc. but in practice nobody gives a shit if you don't fuck around with dlc/drm/trying to resell
>>
>>386631032
Again with is consolecuck/piratefag bait thread?
>>
>>386647568
patches
>>
>>386647171
It's in the dev's page I don't have to look it right now but it's there I checked a few weeks ago
>>
>>386647836
What dev page? Stop making shit up and post a link.
>>
>>386647746
>run V's patch
>abnormal hardware structure
>abnormal shut down
never had this error before
>>
>>386647621
That doesn't change what I said though. You can edit the files to a game, steam does not check if the files are there or not unless you tell it to. It being illegal was not the topic.
>>
>>386647892
steamcommunity.com/dev/
>>
>>386647918
try without it and go only with official ones
>>
>>386647718
This is pure gogshilling, I doubt consolecucks have anything to do with this.
>>
>>386647957
I know, it was just a sidenote
>>
>>386647983
>Linking to the Web API to prove a point about the client
You're even dumber than I thought.
>>
I don't have time to look at the code now but when I find I'll post a thread
in the meantime
http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/publishingservices.php

>>386648132
>The DRM system works with three primary approaches to anti-piracy: custom executable generation, retail encryption, and valuable platform-dependent features. This means your game is account-bound thanks to CEG protection, is protected during day-one releases by shipping encrypted media to stores worldwide, and is published alongside platform-dependent features that pirates simply cannot keep up with, such as constant updates, Steam Achievements, Steam Cloud, and more.
https://blackshellmedia.com/2017/06/28/steam-employs-drm-means-game/

Bear in mind that article is defending steam but at the same time they admit the client is a DRM even though it's """"Optional""""""
>>
>>386648282
And all of that is steamworks
>>
>Is Steam a form of DRM2?

Yes. Games that were bought via Steam are bound to your customer account there. That means it is linked irrevocably to your person. Hence, it is DRM.

>Can I remove the Steam software once the game is installed?

No, the Steam software will still be required. The best you can do is to switch into Offline Mode.
https://www.worldofrisen.de/english/article_370.htm
>>
>>386648382
steamworks is an API
Steam had DRM years before steamworks even existed
but its cute that you keep making the "steamworks is not steam" argument
>>
>>386648282
>http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/publishingservices.php
This is the Steamworks API. It is not omplemented by default and lef to the devs' discretion. This does not prove your point.

>https://blackshellmedia.com/2017/06/28/steam-employs-drm-means-game/
>Plus, if Steam is down, players can’t access, download, or play their games.
I'm at the beginning of the article and already is it saying lies. You can play your games if the servers are down. Offline mode was built specifically for this.

Provide a reliable source or stop posting.
>>
>>386648282
>>386648496
>Yes. Games that were bought via Steam are bound to your customer account there
Fucking wrong, goddamn. There's 500 replies ITT that go over this. Devs have the option of including Steamworks in their game which optionally can include DRM. Or, devs can have their own DRM solution, or not have DRM at all. It has nothing to do with the Steam client. ffs you guys are unhinged.
>>
>>386648632
>I'm at the beginning of the article and already is it saying lies
it's saying the obvious. For some reason if your game is not like a old Falcom japanese JRPG you'll need to connect to the internet because the developer requires online checks
>>
>>386648560
Because it isn't. Seriously, end yourself.
>>
>steam is drm
And? Then what? I still can play games you know?
It will most likely outlive me so i have nothing to worry about
>>
>>386648560
>Steam had DRM years before steamworks even existed
Let's see you back up this claim.
Then let's see you demonstrate that Steam (the client) and Steamworks (the DRM) have not entirely been separated.
>>
>>386648686
Once you upload your games on steam you can track DLC, track game's sales, ALLOW DRM, etc.
You don't need to use the''steamworks'' to get a encrypted .exe file running
>>
>>386648846
You are just obsessed with the fact that even if the game has zero encryption the fact that steam binds to your account is the definition of DRM.
They also do that to track your progress you dumb.

Die scum.
Thread posts: 540
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.