[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't developers make hitboxes correctly? Why not program

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Why can't developers make hitboxes correctly? Why not program hitboxes to be the exact same shape and size as their models?
>>
File: 1495087382988.jpg (20KB, 600x584px) Image search: [Google]
1495087382988.jpg
20KB, 600x584px
>>386629454
holy shit i wodner why nobody ever thot of that be4 op!!?!

damn your good! you should work for video games!?
>>
>>386629454
Processing power
>>
What's the purpose other than the devs spending more time than needed making hitboxes?
>>
>>386629454
>Why not program hitboxes to be the exact same shape and size as their models?
Because calculating collisions when hitboxes are the same shape and size as their models is hard as fuck and taxing on the hardware.
>>
>>386629454
It takes more computational power, it can affect balance, and it's harder to keep sync'd in a networked environment.

That's not to say that hitboxes can't be fucked up by run of the mill incompetence though.
>>
"Balance"
>>
>>386629454
It takes more computational power, it can affect balance, and it's harder to keep sync'd in a networked environment. That's not to say that hitboxes can't be fucked up by run of the mill incompetence though.
>>
>>386629454
The problem isn't making hitboxes fit, it's updating often enough to supply the game with fresh information.
>>
>that kid who picked oddjob
>>
>>386629454
It's technical possible
But just using a big box is less effort to implement
And with fighting games the hitboxes are usually designed for balance rather than to be accurate
>>
YEAH AND WHY CAN'T THEY JUST MAKE THE GAME LOOK LIKE REAL LIFE? JUST TURN UP THE GRAPHICS BRO!

you are the type of tech illiterate retard that has infested this hobby and destroyed it with your inane horseshit
>>
>>386629454
Our computers and algorithms aren't good enough to that without compromising, well, everything.
>>
Balance, performance, and time. If hitboxes in fighting games matched models 1:1 it'd be fucking retarded
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.