[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't we ever get this MMORPG?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 13

File: Dragon_Quest_X_Box_Art.jpg (174KB, 250x316px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_Quest_X_Box_Art.jpg
174KB, 250x316px
No localization, no explanation. It would have made money.

not even an English fan patch for the PC version?
>>
File: 1389453134900.gif (48KB, 320x331px) Image search: [Google]
1389453134900.gif
48KB, 320x331px
>>
File: 1475201496830.jpg (448KB, 925x1308px) Image search: [Google]
1475201496830.jpg
448KB, 925x1308px
>Why didn't we ever get this MMORPG?
Basically, SquareEnix (run by Wada) had given up on Dragon Quest around 2007. It took Nintendo to get Dragon Quest VI, IX and Joker 2 released. But many other DQ games wouldn't get released because SquareEnix were sitting on it. Dragon Quest X was one of these games.

Fast forward to 2015. Wada has been forced out of the company and most of the DQ games from 2015 and on are getting localized. But not the games that came out before 2015. And since Dragon Quest X came out in 2011, it is part of those forgotten games.

To make matters worse, Dragon Quest X is an MMO with three expansions. So SquareEnix thinks it is past its prime. Of course they could just release the combined game to the west like they're doing on Switch/PS4 in Japan, but SquareEnix was never one for the logical approach.

And to further complicate things, both Yoshida (one of the directors of DQX and current head of FFXIV) has made comments that he thinks DQX wouldn't do well in the west because it would "need to be drastically changed to appeal to western tastes." In other words, he thinks only a WoW clone like FFXIV will be successful. Of course this is dumb since MMO fans are actively looking for something that isn't a clone of DQX.

And to further frustrate you, the head of localization for DQ says he doesn't want to go through the effort of localizing it.

tl;dr SquareEnix internal politics.
>>
inb4 chen
>>
>making a numbered sequel an MMO
dumb squeenix
>>
>>386620609

Their MMOs have been far more profitable than their single player games. If anything, it was a smart financial decision. And in the end, that's all they care about.

Still doesn't explain why they ignore Dragon Quest X however. Even if it only got 100k subs in America/Europe, it would make them millions. They did finally release the game in China though.

>release an MMO in China
>but not South Korea
>>
Wada is a massive faggot and the damage he's done to this company over time and the opportunities they've lost because of him is worse overall than the whole TSW debacle.
>>
>>386619714
even though its owned by the same people who do the ff14 mmo, it would directly compete with ff14.
with ff15 being a turd and zero hope for the ff7 remake, ff14 losing sales to dq10 in the west could possibly kill final fantasy.

whats really weird though is that dq11 ps4 has ff10 combat and limit breaks.
>>
>>386622576
Why is it ok for Japan to have internally competing MMOs but not us?
>>
>>386622312
Wada definitely was the cancer that killed Square Enix and the damage is irrepairable.
The worst thing is they'll never bring Gooch back and he's the only one that could turn this shit around.
>>
>>386623315
Gooch probably wouldn't even take them up on that. After years of supervising masterpieces, low-effort mobile games that rake in untold cash is far more appealing to him.

I don't blame him.
>>
>>386622576
>even though its owned by the same people who do the ff14 mmo, it would directly compete with ff14.
That doesn't seem to bother them with their gajilion mobile Final Fantasy gacha games that are all cutting into eachothers profits.
>>
>>386623315
dragon quest isn't that popular in the west
>>
>>386623572
It's popular enough especially in Europe.
Europe is literally the reason why the West got DQ7 and DQ8 3DS to begin with.
Shit was originally announced on a Spanish Squeenix conference to begin with and later revealed to have been brought over due to overwhelming demand from European fans, especially the French.
>>
>>386623572
DQ bullshittery is just the icing on the cake for his incompetence
>>
File: 1502040403150.jpg (230KB, 1200x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1502040403150.jpg
230KB, 1200x1199px
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/26/square-enix-might-look-localizing-dragon-quest-x-enough-fan-requests/

Why haven't you revved up those petitions?
>>
>>386622312

He was a major part of the Spirits Within debacle. He just used Sakaguchi as the scapegoat. Over time, he ran out of scapegoats. The shareholders sure aren't gonna get rid of their golden boy Nomura or Yuji Horii. And Wada drove all the other talent out of SE.
>>
>>386622809

It's not. SquareEnix was very hesitant about letting Yuji Horii make an MMO. Even though he had the idea long before FFXI existed. Yuji Horii basically said he was making the game regardless of what they say and they accepted. Yuji Horii almost always gets his way because anything he makes turns to gold. I just wish he used this advantage to get more western localizations.
>>
>>386623762

I sent them multiple e-mails and letters and spammed the support line. They just don't care. As long as they don't acknowledge it, then they don't have to deal with it.
>>
死ぬまでWoWやってろよ
>>
Square actively blocks anything Enix since the merger.
Have you never questioned why they refuse to put valkyrie profile on digital distribution which would be easy money but go the extra mile to port cellphone versions of final fantasy to PC?
>>
>>386627048

This is true for the most part. But recently under new management they have completely flipped this policy.
>>
>And to further complicate things, both Yoshida (one of the directors of DQX and current head of FFXIV) has made comments that he thinks DQX wouldn't do well in the west because it would "need to be drastically changed to appeal to western tastes."

He's absolutely right, although I hate to admit it.
>>
>tfw I can't even find a good write up of how the combat, the character classes or endgame progression works in English.

If I can't play it I at least want to know what I'm missing.
>>
>>386627621

He's not right though. Changing DQX to be more like WoW would be pointless when FFXIV is already in the western market. Along with a million other WoW clones. DQX would benefit by standing out as the alternative to WoW and its clones. The people who want a WoW style game would play FFXIV. Those that don't would play EVE or DQX.
>>
File: 1436248233883.jpg (94KB, 808x456px) Image search: [Google]
1436248233883.jpg
94KB, 808x456px
>>386627819

Skill system from DQIX with enhancements. Then you add alchemy from DQVIII and parcheesi mini game. ANd lots of throwback dungeons. Its basically the ultimate nostalgia game.
>>
>>386619714
it wouldn't have made money.
>>
>>386627820
FFXIV and WoW are pretty much the only games that can even compete with F2P RPGs because they give such instant gratification. Even XIV struggles against F2P games without it's cash shop items. American's have become very resistant to the idea of paying a subscription fee when so many games are free to start.

And lumping in DQX is EVE is a huge reach. do you honestly think there would be a lot of crossover for players there?

I think DQX is probably the best designed MMO past FFXI. But do I think idiot westerners would pay for it? No.
>>
>>386627962
Is combat more menu-based or is it hitting rotation macros every 2 seconds? Is there horizontal progression at endgame or is it a gear treadmill?
>>
>>386628127

>FFXIV and WoW are pretty much the only games that can even compete with F2P RPGs because they give such instant gratification. Even XIV struggles against F2P games without it's cash shop items. American's have become very resistant to the idea of paying a subscription fee when so many games are free to start.
Possibly. But this doesn't assure DQX would fail. They might be more interested to pay for DQX than another MMO precisely because its something new.

>And lumping in DQX is EVE is a huge reach. do you honestly think there would be a lot of crossover for players there?
I wasn't saying they are the same type of game. I was saying both games are alternatives to WoW.

>I think DQX is probably the best designed MMO past FFXI. But do I think idiot westerners would pay for it? No.
People were willing to pay for RO, SWG, UO and EVE. The problem now is that EVE is the only one left.
>>
File: 1435108044173.jpg (298KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
1435108044173.jpg
298KB, 620x349px
>>386628189

It uses a traditional menu like all other DQ games. No idea about end game.
>>
File: 1502168570306.png (518KB, 505x509px) Image search: [Google]
1502168570306.png
518KB, 505x509px
>>386620179
>SE given up on DQ around 2007
>SE partnered hard localizing and marketing DQIX to the west in '09
>They had fucking Seth Green for commercials
>given up
>>
>>386620179
Jesus christ, Japanese really hate making cash in the west.
>>
>>386619714
So that when you finally do learn Japanese you get a pure, unspoiled MMORPG experience that you've been longing for the last ten years, untainted from greedy gaijin hands and their unwillingnessto foster genuine, and meaningful communities, and finally be able to get back that magic from all those years ago, when you could log unto an MMO and find people who cared.
>>
>>386629702

Please do not take word from an Anonymous who does not have an ounce of source to back half the feces spewing out of his mouth. To state the facts he mentions how SE are not bothering with localization with titles before 2015 yet Dragon Quest VII was released in Japan in 2013. Do you know why we got DQVII to the West? Because the fans bitched long and fucking HARD for it.
>>
I kind of miss what PSO ver.1 and FFXI did where players from all over the world went to the same servers. That was one of the novelties of playing online. Communication was hard sometimes but it felt more rewarding.

Thought it guess with such increased emphasis on action elements western countries need their own servers or they'll lag behind Japanese players
>>
>>386629434
Who the fuck is this baldie?
>>
You have to got through layers of menus just to use a simple herb and combat is fucking sumo
There's no wait post-wow audiences would be appealed by this game
>>
File: 1502125861203.jpg (378KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1502125861203.jpg
378KB, 1920x1080px
>>386630139

Unsung hero.
>>
>>386630171
>wait
*way
>>
>>386629434

>SE partnered hard localizing and marketing DQIX to the west in '09
They did absolutely jack shit. Nintendo had to cover the cost of licensing, distribution and marketing for them. SquareEnix wasn't even going to release it until Nintendo stepped in.

>They had fucking Seth Green for commercials
Nintendo did those commercials. You can tell by the cringy Millennial pandering.
>>
>>386629434
>localization, marketing, and publishing of dragon quest 9 was fully handled by Nintendo
>square was nowhere in sight

learn english
>>
File: 1450848673435.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1450848673435.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>386629903

We got Dragon Quest VII released in the west because Yuji Horii mistakenly announced it was being localized with Dragon Quest VIII 3DS.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/04/report-dragon-quest-vii-and-dragon-quest-viii-remakes-being-localized/

Here are other articles backing up what I said above.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/06/the-difference-between-designing-final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-and-dragon-quest-x/
http://nintendoeverything.com/tag/noriyoshi-fujimoto/
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/26/square-enix-might-look-localizing-dragon-quest-x-enough-fan-requests/
>>
File: 1489316889262.jpg (146KB, 512x502px) Image search: [Google]
1489316889262.jpg
146KB, 512x502px
>>386622576
>it would directly compete with ff14.

Are you stupid? FF is more popular than DQ in the west, this shit would not be really competing.

DQ10 is vastly overrated, the one MMO i need from Japan is DDO, that shit is actually good to play with.
>>
>>386630670
That makes no sense.
>>
I wish I could play the game with a /vg/ guild and have fun in a DQ mmorpg grinding shit.
This life is tough
>>
>>386630775

What makes no sense?
>>
>>386630670

I have some serious doubts SE called in an entire localization department just because Yuji accidentally announced it was being localized 'in French.' The video game industry is no different than another entertainment industry and creators don't blurt these out without a reason.

I hope the sage function still works because this thread is retarded, DQX is alright but they simplified it compared to release date where it was far more party-oriented.
>>
>>386631280
That they would go ahead and release something because of it being mistakenly announced. Cancelling it a month later or just apologizing would make more sense, because if they never intended to localise it would mean that they thought it wouldnt be worth the effort.
>>
File: 1474074956758.jpg (89KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1474074956758.jpg
89KB, 600x800px
>>386631394
>>386631395

The same day that Yuji Horii made his 'slip', another person in SquareEnix denied it was being localized. Then a couple months later, they just randomly out of the blue confirmed it was being made. If they had already been working on it previously, their behavior is just as confusing and paranoid as your theory.

What we do know is that we went over three years with Dragon Quest VII not being localized and endless excuses by Noriyoshi Fujimoto which contradicted each other. Initially he said he wanted to localize it, then he said he didn't want to localize it because it would take "too much effort with all the dialects and puns." Then he said he wouldn't release the game without the dialects and puns. For three years, these excuses kept being repeated. These excuses only went away after Yuji Horii made his comment. And suddenly Noriyoshi Fujimoto was totally happy and interested in localizing a game he previously was too lazy and afraid to touch.

This whole thing smells like a higher up in SquareEnix was blocking the localization. But the announcement of DQVII and VIII getting localized on 3DS coincides with Wada stepping down and new management taking over in 2014. Just like all the other DQ games we've gotten since.

Is there a chance they were already working on localizing Dragon Quest VII? Sure. But then why did it take over 3 years? And why were they being so secretive about it, to the point of denying it was coming out? I mean, this is just downright stupid stuff, as if they were afraid to even let the west know Dragon Quest VII exists. That's not the kind of action you take when you're willingly trying to release a game. More like what you do under pressure.
>>
>>386632304
The way you worded in your other post makes it sound like they only started localizing it because of that one mistake.
>>
>>386632304

You want to make your point across and I acknowledge you believe SE has some sort of vendetta against DQ being popular in the West; not profit for whatever reason. All we have is speculation as much as any other average joe including myself. I went through that video interview with Noriyoshi Fujimoto and everything they stated is plausible on why it would take years to be translated and localized. Maybe consider the 3DS hardware sales were rolling in and Bravely Default sold far better than SE could have possibly imagined on that platform.

We have absolutely no fucking idea why it took so long to be released to the west, but upper management were holding it back which is as far-fetched as fans saying their letters finally reached SE and saw profit after years of holding back.
>>
File: 1409534121861.jpg (103KB, 748x750px) Image search: [Google]
1409534121861.jpg
103KB, 748x750px
>>386633231

You are right that we have no definitive proof. But what we can say is that their actions make no sense either way. If they had started translating it because of fan pressure, then they should have been totally supportive of Yuji Horii announcing it. To hype the game. Instead they tried to back peddle his announcement and hide it. If they decided to just randomly translate it three years later, their actions still make no sense.

There's another possibility that they had started translating it years before. We know from interviews with Nintendo that Dragon Quest IX was translated right after Dragon Quest IX came out in Japan. But then SquareEnix just sat on it and didn't release it. It was only after Nintendo offered to handle all the costs that SquareEnix gave the go ahead. We also know Nintendo did the same thing with Bravely Default. So it's conceivable SquareEnix was using the same tactic with Dragon Quest VII. Localized it way back in 2013, but then just sat on it until Nintendo offered to cover all the costs. But if that's true, it just makes SquareEnix look like a bunch of greedy CEOs who don't give a shit about the fans or Dragon Quest.

No matter what the cause, it all comes back to SquareEnix being at fault for delaying the game for years and killing what little hype the game had. And they wonder why the games don't sell millions.
>>
i'll never understand this translate a big text heavy jrpg and then just sit on it strategy, surely that's the biggest cost along with marketing for getting the product to the west. It's like you've already done half the work
>>
>>386630396
You are a millennial. The "cringy pandering" is called "advertising".
>>
>>386635012

The biggest cost is by far the development of the game. Then marketing (implying the game gets any). Then publishing costs to Nintendo or Sony or whatever company the game is on. Then translation and distribution are near the bottom.

Translation is really not that expensive. Though SquareEnix does make it way more expensive than it should be with their backwards practices. But I mean think about it. Fans out there are willing to do translations for free. People are hired to do official subtitles of anime/foreign films for as little as $200. And super niche games like Nippon Ichi or Atlus RPGs still make money when they sell less than 150k copies. If translations were really expensive, then almost no Japanese games would make a profit.
>>
>>386635012
Trust me virtually nobody does either. Whatever reason you could come up for it, like "we can release it sooner" is suspect as fuck and just raises further questions.

The only people who "get it" are the suits who came up with the strategy in the first place.
>>
I was born in 1984 which is kind of a transitional period between the generations. But since advertising firms are pretty much calling anyone younger than the baby boomers a 'millennial' now, I suppose I am.

Still don't like Seth Green and think those commercials were really dumb. They should be trying to make the game appeal to general audiences. Not Adult Swim losers.
>>
>>386635012
Translation is not as expensive or time consuming as SE makes it seem. ESPECIALLY on DQ where the text is simplified so even kids can understand it.
>>
I play it. You just need a vpn. I would reccomend amazon web services or avira phantom vpn. Google woodus
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.