[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BOTW was the peak of Exploration and Level Design.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

BOTW was the peak of Exploration and Level Design.
>>
>>386574605
False flag aside I did think the beasts were pretty cool.
>>
>BotW peak of level design
t. Someone who hasn't played Majora's Mask, specifically the Stone Temple
>>
The beasts were the weakest part of the game.
>>
File: goat level design.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
goat level design.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>386574972
Verticality, Interaction, optional solutions, no loading times, cross-room puzzles/out of box thinking, no padding (braindead enemies like in other Zelda dungeons or slow puzzles).

The hate the four beasts in BotW is literally a proof for me most "hardcore gamers" actually have no clue about game design.

Those dungeons were absolutely amazing. And the main reason they are so short compared to old Zelda dungeons is because they don't insult your intellect. There are actually optional ways to beat them, you can rush and skip things, barely any mini cutscenes or loading times, no gaes every meter, no pushing cubes, no carrying things around for minutes.

They are everything people wanted and people hate them.
>>
>>386574972
funny thing too, for all you assholes complaining about the divine beasts being shit....

THEY AREN'T FUCKING DUNGEONS ASSHOLES! THEY WERE MADE TO FIGHT FUCKING GANON, WHY WOULD THEY HAVE PUZZLES IN THEM?

YOU THINK FUCKING GORON DUMBASS IS GONNA SOLVE 30 MINS OF PUZZLES TO START UP HIS ROBOT FIRE LIZARD ALL THE DAMN TIME?
>>
>>386575453
It's not the design that bugged me it's the fact that it felt shorter and could've benefited from more puzzles.

not the guy you're talking too but if they could somehow merge the mechanics of the beast with the scale of some of the larger dungeons of yore it'd be fantastic.
>>
>>386575453
>the main reason they are so short
is because they're fucking small. not because of their "genius" design lol
>>
>>386574605
what I dont like about these puzzles are that they dont make any fucking sense in the context of the world and their creators. Sure, they are fun but why would you design it that way? I know I know I should stop being an autist about this, but shit like this and other games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider kind of always annoy me.
>>
what is with the talk about “level design“ in open world games? it's not like they have levels

in fact, i haven't seen many games with actual levels since like the ps2 days, except maybe some retro platformer. am i misunderstanding the term?
>>
>>386574972
Ganon was imo.
It lasted maybe 10-15 minutes and had basically no buildup. You're just told throughout the game that he's bad. You don't get to see/meet him beforehand. It was the most anticlimactic thing I've ever experienced, barring MGS3's ending gameplay sequence.
>>
>>386576647
yes, you are.
>>
>>386574605
>level design
>4 temples have the same texture and theme
>all 250 shrines have the same texture and premise

Yawwwwwn
>>
File: 1500064741483.png (144KB, 708x236px) Image search: [Google]
1500064741483.png
144KB, 708x236px
>>386574605
>>386574605
>Exploration
If what you find while exploring isn't a part of exploration, no.
>>
>>386574605
>The peak of exploration

>Climb a really unique point of interest
"OH BOY, I WONDER WHAT IS UP HERE TO REWARD ME FOR MY BRAVE AND TREACHEROUS TREK
>"YAHAHA!"
>>
>>386576704
The fight was the easiest one in the game too
>>
>>386574605
>exploration
it did it better than some but it sure as hell wasnt the best
>level design
Not even close. Those Divine beasts had no memorability or creativity since they can be done in any order and you already had everything.
>>
>>386575796
But they do have puzzles in them, did you even play the game? They're just short and shit.
>>
>>386578695
See >>386575453
>>
>>386575453
>I know all about game design because I said so
>>
>>386576704
Your problem was your expectations. Ganon in this game was a destructive force of nature, they spend the majority of the game explaining that. His name was Calamity Ganon for god's sake, they couldn't have hit you over the head with it harder. Expecting to get to know an earthquake before killing it is silly.
>>
>>386576647
You are taking the term "level design" too literally, even if the game doesnt have a set of separate numbered stages like SMB or whatever all the different areas still have to be designed.
>>
File: C2BsvP3VQAABOKn.jpg (41KB, 558x845px) Image search: [Google]
C2BsvP3VQAABOKn.jpg
41KB, 558x845px
>>386574605
NOOOOOOOOO THAT'S NOT HORIZON
>>
>Nintendo fans think BoTW is the best game ever because they only play Nintendo games
shocker
>>
BotW had some good puzzles, though there was a shrine or two where the answer made me go "wait, that's it?" We've come a long way since WW.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.