[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>not playing the game of the decade But why /v/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 31

File: IMG_5684.jpg (90KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5684.jpg
90KB, 460x215px
>not playing the game of the decade

But why /v/?
>>
>>386549047
I never know where the fuck I should go.
It's boring.
Characters are not really interresting.
Gameplay could be faster.
>>
>>386549047
It has the worst healing system of all time.
>>
File: Pyre_Wallpaper_01.jpg (891KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Pyre_Wallpaper_01.jpg
891KB, 1920x1080px
It aint even the indie game of the year but I plan on playing and beating it eventually
>>
>>386549105
Look up a guide if you're that casual

>>386549192
Literally a healing system that you have to think about, and suddenly it's the worst? Sorry you can't just spam 'lol red potions' like you can in other games
>>
>>386549378
I was playing with a guide, but it was so damn not funny, it was crazy.

Also, how the fuck do you have to think about anything to heal yourself ? Hit mobs and press B ?
>>
>>386549047
I haven't found an enjoyable way to playing sidescrollers.
Sticks have too mjuch travel, modern d-pads suck and two hands on the keyboard is uncomfortable.
>>
>>386549516
You need to think and use opportunities to heal, especially during boss fights. Sometimes you heal to just survive and tank an undodgeable hit.

Basically the healing is a git good mechanic
>>
File: 21504_484865.jpg (935KB, 1971x1640px) Image search: [Google]
21504_484865.jpg
935KB, 1971x1640px
>>386549047
because I'm already playing the real game of the decade
>>
>>386549047
Shilled nonstop
meme game
>>
I haven't played the recent DLC yet. Is it hard to track down once in game?
>>
File: 1422155541043.gif (116KB, 277x400px) Image search: [Google]
1422155541043.gif
116KB, 277x400px
>Metroidvanias have limited narrow appeal
>Metroidvania fans act like Hollow Knight is the Metroidvania for everyone and everyone needs to play it
>It's not, so everyone inevitably starts shitting on it because it has the same problems that stop them from liking every metroidvania ever
>>
>>386549632
Wow, in France we have an expression for what you're doing, it's : "trying to make a bladder pass for a lantern"

>Sometimes you heal to just survive

Deep, man. Deep.
In other games you heal just to die or because you think it's cool, right ?
>>
>>386549192
It's fucking great though, Bloodborne regain in 2D form.
>>386549738
it just had a sale so lots more people have bought it
>>
>>386549047
Because it look like flash game from the mid 2000s
>>
>>386549047
Because I'm waiting for the Switch version to come out
>>
Eh. I guess I'd rather play Sundered? The combat's not very interesting in either game, but at least in Sundered the movement is fun and the art is incredible. I get the aesthetic Hollow Knight is going for but everything just feels so drab and grey
>>
>>386549925
Honestly if you don't like metroidvanias then you've probably got shit taste
>>
File: 1395795412458.jpg (49KB, 616x699px) Image search: [Google]
1395795412458.jpg
49KB, 616x699px
>>386549632
>Combat centric game
>Enemies damage on contact
>Enemies have fucking undodgeable attacks
>>
>>386549047
I did. Would not recommend over any other metroidvania.

Constant framerate stutters and pointlessly huge areas full of nothing do not make for a good game.
>>
>>386550201
Nah Metroidvanias are a trash genre.
>>
>>386550141
That game looks good. I feel kinda bad those guys got cuckolded out of sales by releasing a game boasting beautiful 2D art a week after Pyre came out.
I'm planning on waiting til the game is 10 or 15 though.
>>
the whole reason Hollow Knight is good is the art, world, and music

if you don't care about art in games then sure I guess it won't grab you, but then again you probably eat cheetos and other smelly messy shit while playing your computer games
>>
>>386550471
yeah 10 bucks sounds about right. it's not gonna blow your mind but it's a solid experience
>>
>>386550534
go back to your """artistic""" walking simulators
>>
>>386550641
Why the quotation marks?
>>
Is pyre good? The limited gameplay I've seen looks pretty different so hard to judge if I'd like it but I love supporting them because I loved their other stuff and they do so much right
>>
>>386549047
Because I already finished it. It was awesome.
>>
>>386550534
Nigga Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre are some of my favorite games of all fucking time.
1. Hollow Knight falls flat on its face in comparison with any of them in art, world, or music.
2. They all 3 have significantly better combats systems than Hollow Knight

You can't call a game great when half the package isn't. Fuck off with your wannabe artsy "tastes"
>>
>>386550761
The soccer gameplay is pretty neat but idk, what I liked about Bastion and Transistor was being enveloped into a world and atmosphere. I didn't get that much from Pyre, since you have a roving band of friends you talk with and stuff.

It's a good game but not why I liked their previous work.
>>
>>386549047
I got bored of it, characters move slowly, tons of back tracking, no draw
>>
>>386550881
>Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>386550881
Bastion doesn't have a very good combat system.
Transistor does though.
I think Hollow Knight measures up to them in its simplicity. Not everything is a dick-measuring context of complexity and whatever
>>
>>386549105
Honestly this, I got bored so quickly and refunded it
>>
>>386550761
They've really flipped the table on the formula this time. The gameplay is less of the game than the Oregon Trail/VNish segments (I've NEVER been a VN person but I had no trouble with the reading the game does have you do) it also does an amazing job of building up tension for the matches of basketball, and they do a incredible job of making your choices affect the story and gameplay. The magic basketball is a lot of fun, but the AI softballs you the first few matches and pretty much everyone in the Pyre threads wasn't fully taking advantage of every mechanic by the time they beat the game through once, it's a mariana trench of potential depth, especially the multiplayer (damn shame theres no online)

Art, Music, World, Characters, and combat are all still on point, just done wildly different.

The biggest issue people have with it is pacing wise and format wise it's vastly different to Bastion and Transistor, there's a significant amount of reading, they use the narrator very differently, the ratio of Oregon Trail to Basketball is probably 60:40. Also no NG+ this time, they have local multiplayer instead. Which is a bit of a bummer.
>>
It's okay, save points are horrendously poorly placed though. I dunno if it was trying to be hardcore or something with the Dark Souls-esque "get your shit back after you die" mechanic but there's a good reason why Metroid/Castlevania/etc have save rooms as often as they do.
>>
It's one of the worst metroidvanias I've ever played. Extremely boring and bosses just stand around so that you can use your self heal safely
>>
I'm too busy preparing for it by beating Axiom Verge and replaying Guacamelee

Am I ready /v/?
>>
>>386551732
>bosses just stand around so that you can use your self heal safely
Sounds like Souls
>>
>>386549047
looks like the average Tumblr shit game except it seems to have gameplay
>>
>>386551732
>bosses just stand around so that you can use your self heal safely
You didn't get very far in the game, did you?
>>
>>386552035
I fought 4 bosses before I refunded. If they game doesn't give me a challenge by then, I'm not sticking around to fight more bosses
>>
>>386549047
game is ok.
everyday there are a shill thread make by drone.
really make me think
>>
>>386552136
Because barely anyone talks about it despite being a really quality game
>>
oh god please don't attract hollowfag
>>
It looks ugly
>>
>>386552181
It's a small indie release and we had nonstop threads for several weeks when it came out. Stop droning faggot you're just gonna make people dislike the game
>>
>>386549105
It's boring and you just wander around randomly until you find something new to kill. Level progression is non existent, or at least the designers had no idea how average players think.
>>
>>386549047
Man i love Metroidvanias i even 100% the most shit ones,but i just couldnt get myself to finish Hollow Knight i beat fake knight and hornet and stopped playing.
I dont know man the game technically has everything that i love but it just doesnt appeal to me and i cant find out why.
Does someone felt the same with this game or any other?
>>
>>386552181
People don't talk about it because it's boring and they didn't enjoy it
>>
>>386552750
Which I cannot fucking understand unless you're a fat neckbeard who plays Platinum games
>>
>made in unity
that's why
>>
>>386552824
>on /v/
>Hates platinum
>>/out/
>>
>>386552640
I got bored and quit after getting all 3 dreamers. The bosses do get somewhat better, but backtracking through that huge empty map for garbage charms or yet another worthless Rancid egg is a real slog.
>>
>>386549047
The performance is so fucking shit.

>>386549192
But it's a fantastic and adaptable system that forces you to think of the best opportunity to heal. Worst healing system of all time is pausing the game to consume items from your inventory.

>>386549738
A large portion of the shilling is still falseflagging.

>>386549925
Metroidvanias are great. Gradually expanding on your capabilities to explore increasingly large areas for new challenges is fun.

>>386550031
Flash games aren't nearly this detailed though.
>>
>>386552892
Platinum is specifically for loser weeaboos who think button-mashing and combos are profound, artistic game design and not just shit thrown in to get, again, fat losers to obsess over your game
>>
>>386552992
I'm all for the slow gain in power of metroidvanias. Absolutely against the map design. I've never once enjoyed being lost in a video game and I know I am not the only person who feels that way.
>>
>Game of the decade
I liked it too, but it's not even game of Q1.
>>
>>386552105
>I fought 4 bosses before I refunded
You can't even get to 4 bosses in 2 hours, especially not on your first try.
Why does /v/ enjoy actively lying to themselves about this game so much?
>>
File: 1477021241053.jpg (262KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1477021241053.jpg
262KB, 1284x980px
>>386553067
>>
>>386549047
I'm a few hours in and I'm not sure I like it. It's supposed to be a Metroidvania/souls clone but there's no levelling and no progress beside those badges which themselves just seem to be annoying.

Why the fuck do I need to equip the compass ability?
Why do I need to buy maps and then a quill but then still not be able to add new areas to my map?
What's wrong with simply having automap from the start like every other game in the genre?

Why did I need to get a badge that lets me swing without stepping forward? Again it just feels like I'm unlocking basic shit to make the game playable.
It's fucking annoying.

Also it looks like a goddamn flash game.
>>
File: 1338982902112.jpg (40KB, 552x558px) Image search: [Google]
1338982902112.jpg
40KB, 552x558px
>>386549047

>get to the colossus of the fools
>right after white castle

Maybe i should just restart the game so i can have mana regen
>>
>>386549632
It's literally just dark souls without resource management. I played the game for like 5 hours and it's boring, generic and too easy. I'm sure the bosses get harder later on but there just isn't that much that can be done with such a simple combat system.
>>
>>386552824
If you put this game in front of a normie it'd be refunded within 5 minutes, you don't have to be a neckbeard to hate it
>>
File: hollowknight100percent.png (324KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hollowknight100percent.png
324KB, 1920x1080px
>>386549047
But I did, Anon.

And I love it.
>>
>>386552105
What the fuck, how? I fought 4 bosses and wish I could still refund.
>>
Daily reminder that /v/ liked this game before it got popular. The first week or two, the period of time before people made it popular, of release had daily discussion thread and anyone who says otherwise is a lying shitposter.
>>
>>386553479
I never did, kill yourself.
>>
>>386553228
Seems like I hit a little to close to home
>>
>>386553229
The badges eventually allow for a lot of customization (Though some are pretty useless) and there's still some later progress to be had.
Having to equip the compass is annoying, find map bug to get new map areas, not having a map for the first time in some areas is a bit of an experience.

Being pushed back with every swing can sometimes be advantageous for keeping your distance.

Unless you have poor eyesight or squint Hollow Knight doesn't look like a flash game.
>>
File: 1462794959183.png (104KB, 276x230px) Image search: [Google]
1462794959183.png
104KB, 276x230px
>>386553479
>/v/ liked this game
>Therefore /v/ telling you it's not game of the decade, year, indie goty, etc is all them being contrarians because it got popular

I can like a game without it being an award winning experience.
>>
>>386553535
Not enough anime tits for you?
>>386553703
>implying that's what's happening in these threads
It's shitposters name dropping Dark Souls and other bullshit.
>>
>>386553657
I just don't get the design decisions at all.
I look at SotN as the gold standard and it's easy to see why.

From the start you have:
>automapping
>perfect combat
>backdash

Then throughout the game you obtain more traversal skills, magic spells, equipment, transformations and familiars.

In Hollow Knight you start with a barely playable game and need to work just to make it a basic level of fun.
>>
>>386553861
I thought Hollow Knight was really disappointing and boring, but starting out without a map was one of my favorite things about it. In fact, I'd like a metroidvania where you have to draw your own map etrian odyssey style. Fuck automapping. Not every game has to be SotN.
>>
>>386552181
>Barely anyone talks about it
>Multiple threads daily since release
>People literally won't shut the fuck up about it being "THE DARK SOULS OF METROIDVANIA"
Fuck off with your shit game.
>>
>>386554040
>barely anyone talks about it
No one actually talks about the game since it got popular. It's all shitposting and shitflinging.
>Multiple threads daily since release
All of which are shitposting bait threads
>
>People literally won't shut the fuck up about it being "THE DARK SOULS OF METROIDVANIA"
So you're so stupid that you believe shitposters are real people. The only people saying this are doing so ironically or to fool morons like you.
This is a game you're no longer allowed to like or talk about on /v/.
>>
>>386554035
>In fact, I'd like a metroidvania where you have to draw your own map etrian odyssey style. Fuck automapping. Not every game has to be SotN.
In fact you can hand draw a map in any game you want and it's what I do constantly.
It's fine because I learned how to do that with games 20 years ago.

However I don't think it's a good idea to force people to do such a thing, a little bit of fucking modern convenience isn't too much to ask. I'd be fine if it was optional.
>>
So it looks like it just got popular enough for /v/ to start saying they always hated it.
>>
>>386554152
Maybe if it wasn't such an overhyped shit stain it wouldn't receive such disdain. The fact you resort to insults immediately says everything about its fanbase.
>>
Why is the White Palace filled with buzzsaws? The spear traps make sense and are at least somewhat thematically fitting, but the buzzsaws are so out of place. They couldn't have come up with a more appropriate hazard?
>>
>>386554672
>overhyped shit stain
Who overhypes it? For every comment saying it's goty there's at least 10 comments frothing over how much they hate it. Or is this another /v/ contrarian moment since most people here acted like they liked the game the first two weeks of release?
>>
I've just clocked 10 hours in this game and I was about to make a thread myself.
Anyway, I'm extremely disappointed so far.
The game has pretty art and nice sound design. That's it.
The gameplay is so fucking boring. Now don't come with that whole "THEN THE GAME'S NOT FOR YOU" bullshit. I've played countless metroidvanias in the past. I love the genre to hell, and I can recognize bad design when I see it.
My biggest gripe so far is how much fucking backtracking there is. There is a HUGE gap between save points, your mobility sucks (maybe it gets better but honestly, ten hours in and I've only gotten 2 upgrades? That's little for a metroidvania) and the map design, oh god it is convoluted.
"le hur dur git gud"
Screw this, I googled to see if anyone else had the same feelings about the game and this game's fanbase is just utter cancer. How does any of this relate to me being good? Neverminid the fact that I'm actually thinking the game's too easy so far. Combat is repetitive and the only fun I've had with it so far was the mantis lords.

My rant's done. I've exaggerated a little bit but I'm just mad at shitty fanboys.
>>
>>386555257
>backtracking

You mean the one time you need to go back into the original area? Other than that, it's nearly all forward progression.
>>
>>386555373
No, I actually mean getting around is a pain in the ass. I shouldn't have to waste 20 minutes if I want to go and buy something in a shop.
The few times I died at boss fights I had to walk like half the area before getting to it again.
Stagways are very few and far apart. I got into deepnest recently but nope, apparently I wasn't meant to go there yet. Screw exploration right, better backtrack two areas until you get to a fucking stagway and go back to the path you're supposed to follow. It just feels timewasty as fuck.
>>
>have go buy several items before you gain the basic ability to map

This is fucking retarded. Really tempted to drop it for this reason alone.
>>
>>386549047
Money's tight because I live under 200% of the poverty line and I'm not interested in metroidvanias.
>>
This game tries so fucking hard to be Dark Souls.
Le minimalist storytelling, le npcs with few dialogs.
Except that Dark Souls was actually interesting and NPCs had a purpose beyond saying some cryptic shit and not being relevant ever again.
>>
>>386555257
I'm 7 hours in and have 3 upgrades. And so far I haven't had to backtrack much at all.
As a matter of fact pretty sure the only backtracking I've done is from City of Tears back to Mantis town to fight those 3 cuck lords.
>>
>>386556038
>several items
It's just the compass you casual fuck. The others are there to help with secrets you might have missed after the fact.
>>
>>386555738
This is probably my biggest complaint with the game as well
>>
>>386555738
Why can't you got into deepnest? Don't tell me your 10 hours in and missed the wall jump upgrade.
>>
>>386556307
No, it's because I didn't have the lantern and to go back and buy it after exploring the whole area (except obviously the dark part) means backtracking, which, again, is a fucking pain.
>>
>>386549047
I'm stuck on Trial of the Fool and my OCD won't let me fight radiance until I can do trial
>>
>>386555257
>I love metroidvanias
>I hate backtracking
pick one and only one
>>
>>386556639
>386556639
>literally ignoring that my complaint isn't about having to backtrack, but that this game has a shit ton of backtracking on top of being absolute ass to get around in
>>
>>386549047
Still waiting on the switch version.
>>
>>386550881
Bastion has shit gameplay

Transistor isn't good until NG+

Pyre is Hipster Soccer.

>>386553479
Not only is /v/ not one person, and early dick rider fanboys are always the ones to make the first posts talking about a new obscure game. Once it gains traction and more people actually play it, surprise surprise, people who aren't fanboys offer their opinion on the subject.
>>
its visually tiring after playing for 13 hours in 4 days and apparently not even being 1/4 into the game due to the shitty progression, seeing the same palettes, character, animations and effects over and over and over again

combat could be so much better. Contact damage is hugely detrimental, definitely rage inducing, this didnt take away too much from my playtime because im patient, but jesus christ i was this close to quitting the game once i got to the deep nest area with the burrowing enemies that are faster than you and jump at you, let alone the fucking grub mimics

getting lost is nigh impossible because remembering areas and paths is easy, but the walking, retracing and backtracking moments, along with the times you go to an area you shouldnt be in, are inexcusably annoying

soundtrack is absolutely meh, more epic orchestra stuff, i feel like they could have done something creative or relatively unused, but the current sountrack fits too well with the theme and visual design of the game, and i say "too well" because both are boring after some game time.

upgrades to movement and weapon are too far inbetween for what they are, whereas metroidvania masterpieces have them progress faster or at least appropiately rewarding (the only upgrade i felt good with was the mantis claw, and even then i just have a thing for wall jumping in games)

in conclusion, game gets old quick, it gets a handful of shit right and i genuinely like the game, its just not enough for me finish it for how bland and tiring it is

>>386556639
backtracking in better metroidvanias is eased and sometimes even fun due to mobility upgrades

in hollow knight, its walking through the same line of rooms dozens of times to get somewhere, without it ever being less painful (except when you open those lazy overused shortcut doors that stay open but can only be activated from one side), even if you avoid the enemies in it
>>
>>386556178
But there are plenty of NPCs that are relevant beyond saying cryptic shit. I can't really think of any that do only that.

>>386557202
What's the problem with grub mimics though? They go down in a few hits.
>>
>>386557202
>backtracking in better metroidvanias is eased and sometimes even fun due to mobility upgrades
Erm hello?
You got the mothcloak didn't you?
>>
>>386557131
Bastions is more just alright but it's fun if you use the modifiers and take advantage of the weapon variety.
Transistor isn't particularly challenging until NG+ but it is still pretty fun the first time through you get fun abilities like packets pretty quickly, you can make it pretty challenging the first time through with modifiers though.
Pyre is FUN Hipster Soccer.
>>
>>386558316
It's a dash. Just a quick, short dash. That's nothing compared to stuff you get in other games.
>>
>>386549047

>Nobody knows about game
/v/ loves it
>everybody knows about game
/v/ hates it

I barely saw any negative feedback for the first month of its release and then suddenly, everyone fucking hates it. This is what I don't understand, its happened with practically every game I've seen talked about on /v/.

Even pretty good games like Hollow knight get shit on, its not perfect but its not definitely not a bad game by any stretch, even calling it mediocre is pushing it.

While people are entitled to their own opinion, this switching from loving it to hating it is ridiculous.
>>
>>386558316
i got it and used it to its full extent to make moving as less of a chore as possible

it was still unbearable
>>
>>386558546
That's really what it is man. /v/ is full of contrarians who tip their fedoras, practice with wooden swords, and hate on popular video games.

They need to go back to somethingawful with the rest of their fedoracore friends
>>
Waiting for Switch release.
>>
>>386558546
/v/ hates any game that becomes popular unless it's a console exclusive (but only so they can console war shitpost)
>>
>>386549047
Was a bit sceptical after all the forced shilling but after playing for 20+ hours it's grown on me and definitely worth a playthrough. The best part about HK is the exploration and zone tuning. If you're using a guide you're doing it wrong. I've not even once felt I was underpowered for a specific boss and the challenge was still there. It's not a super hard game by any means but it still keeps you on edge. Lots of upgrades and easter eggs if you're into collecting and pushing for 100%.
>>
>>386549047
That's not ELEX
>>
>>386549105
FPBP
>>
>>386549192
I thought it was very fair, although half the time I was using that pink charm that sped it up.
>>
>>386560245
>keeps you on the edge
I think there is a bot shilling this game. It's filled with backtracking, empty space, and a slow moving character. There is nothing about this game that keeps the player on the edge
>>
File: Bretta.png (25KB, 142x170px) Image search: [Google]
Bretta.png
25KB, 142x170px
>White Wanderer...don't be shy....cold outside....bed is soft...

What did she mean by this?
>>
>>386560727
>it's filled with backtracking
It's metroidvania, what did you expect?
>slow moving character
After you get most movement upgrades you can go pretty fast.
>>
>>386559101
Also any weebshit, and not for the gameplay.
>>
>>386560727
Dashmaster charm after you get the boost ability will definitely help you with the speed.
>>
>>386558448
mothcloak + dashmaster charm + mantis claw + crystal heart, you'll be zipping around.
>>
>>386549047
Dropped it, didn't remember why.
Replayed it and remembered that it was pretty boring.
>>
File: Legeater.png (39KB, 184x269px) Image search: [Google]
Legeater.png
39KB, 184x269px
was he autistic?
>>
>>386561843
Literally never happened.

Either you're a liar and didn't play it, or you're shitposting and actually love it.
>>
File: 1490804481325.png (463KB, 632x569px) Image search: [Google]
1490804481325.png
463KB, 632x569px
>>386549047
>not playing the reddit game of the decade

but why /v/?
>>
>>386562062
Is that really your go to insult? You know someone around here has 0 fucking argument when he needs to pretend everything he isn't in love with is from Reddit.

Get a better argument.
>>
>>386562228
t. buttmad hipster
>>
>>386562937
That's even worse than Reddit-omg someone.
Fuck out of my hollow knight thread faggot. You'll never understand what good games are.
>>
File: Hipster-glasses-by-Rones.png (27KB, 2400x807px) Image search: [Google]
Hipster-glasses-by-Rones.png
27KB, 2400x807px
>>386563787
>you'll never understand!
>>
>>386549047
I will when/if it comes to PS4
>>
>>386564040
Do you even know what a hipster is? Lol
>>
>>386564252
someone who thinks they're mentally superior for playing indie garbo?
>>
>>386564402
Do you think I'd want others to enjoy the experience if I wanted to act superior about it? Ffs think about what you're saying lol
>>
>>386564623
fuck out of my hipster knight thread faggot
>>
Die shill your unity game sucks
>>
>>386564941
this is the best game ever made what the fuck are you talking about? you will never understand.
>>
>>386561920
Nah, he just likes Legs.
>>
>>386549047
Because sundered is better
>>
Is it hipster to like hollow knight? Or is it hipster to hate it?

Find out next time on 'change definitions to meet my argument like a complete faggot!'
>>
The controls are so stiff and clunky. Platforming is a pain in the ass because there seems to be a delay between pressing the "jump" button and actually jumping, so nine times out of then you end up just walking off the edge of a platform. It's the same with attacking. There's a slight delay between the button press and the actual execution.
>>
>>386565916
>indie game
take a guess
>>
>>386566023

Just like Dark Souls
>>
>>386565438
you just don't UNDERSTAND man, playing hollow knight is the most enlightening experience I've ever had playing a game and I'm even hesitant to call it that. it really breaks the barrier between video games and art. it's like live action poetry.
>>
>>386549047
Fuck off shill
>>
I played it for a couple of hours then played Bloodstained's demo and I guess it made me more excited for Bloodstained. The actual gameplay in that one is fun.
>>
>>386566303
this game is often referred to as the dark souls of indie roguelites so yeah
>>
No Switch version out yet that why.
>>
Some silly webms to share
>>
File: 1490370544515.jpg (12KB, 271x336px) Image search: [Google]
1490370544515.jpg
12KB, 271x336px
>>386566598
>as if switch owners can understand this masterpiece
>>
>>386566650
sick webm homo, keep up all that fresh OC
>>
>>386566650
You can bounce off those? Goddammit I wish I knew that.
>>
>>386549047
Is Moogy-denka right about Hollow Knight?

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spsblb

>2/10:
> Hollow Knight - Boring and monotonous, with oversized screens that offer no meaningful challenge on a micro level. Blindly copies Souls games in all the most annoying ways. Confused, oversaturated visual design that draws the player's eyes everywhere except where they should be looking. This has nothing to offer over any other ~indievania~, so set your sights elsewhere.
>>
>>386566650
I still think its wonderful how dangerous camera scrolling is in this game.
>>
File: 1456875438346.jpg (76KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
1456875438346.jpg
76KB, 540x405px
>>386549047
Because it's derivative, shallow, repetitive, and boring.
>>
File: 1490712421550.jpg (106KB, 654x862px) Image search: [Google]
1490712421550.jpg
106KB, 654x862px
>>386567140
HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE GREATEST ART PIECE OF THE 21ST CENTURY

YOU SIMPLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND
>>
>>386566502

>dark souls of ____
>roguelite

Both meaningless terms.
>>
>>386549047
I played it. It's shit.
>>
>>386567140
Ehh. Scoring shit is always a red-flag. But he's not wrong
>>
>>386567389
but this game is chocked full of meaning. you will never understand
>>
>>386566023
Maybe you're having an issue with vsync and should turn it off.
I don't think there's a significant delay between pressing a button and performing an action.
>>
>>386553142
how did you get lost in hollow knight? you get a map for each new area almost immediately and the world itself isn't even very big
>>
>>386567389
he must not be as enlightened as the rest of us hollow knighters
>>
>>386566023
>>386567876
There doesn't seem to be any significant delay with V-sync on or off. Either I'm retarded or there's a significant problem with your setup that's causing you to experience input lag.

Seems like the shitposters have come to set up camp in this thread regardless.
>>
>>386568801
thread starts with
>why aren't you playing the best game ever made? xD
and you're surprised shitposters show up?
>>
File: cute.png (1MB, 1280x1204px) Image search: [Google]
cute.png
1MB, 1280x1204px
I need more cute art. Please donate to the cause.
>>
>>386549047
Waiting for Switch release. I've decided to get my side scrollers there from now on instead of Steam.
>>
File: 1489936796079.jpg (29KB, 583x493px) Image search: [Google]
1489936796079.jpg
29KB, 583x493px
>>386569074
eat shit bug fucker
>>
>>386569162
Having played both - I prefer Blaster Master Zero anyway.
>>
To all those waiting for the switch version:

Stop lying. None of you even have a switch. That console is worthless.
>>
>>386569162
you're gonna be waiting a long time big boy
>>
>>386569381
Thank God it's coming soon and games don't have an expiry date.
>>
>>386549047
Waiting for the PS4 release for the same reason as this guy: >>386569162
>>
>>386569162
>playing platformers exclusively on a console with no d-pad
>>
>>386569609
Are you blind? It has one.
>>
>>386549047
>game of the decade
Fuck off with the hyperbole, you idiot. Metroidvanias are terrible.
>>
>>386569730
buttons aren't the same as a d-pad
>>
So how long is it gonna be until the shitposting about this game dies down and we can actually fucking talk about this game?
>>
File: 1501604968493.jpg (44KB, 638x629px) Image search: [Google]
1501604968493.jpg
44KB, 638x629px
>>386569609
>mfw separate tactical switches turn out to be better for 2d platformers than d pads
Blaster Master was great on the joycons.
>>
File: 2017-08-05_13-05-07.png (486KB, 402x991px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-05_13-05-07.png
486KB, 402x991px
I'm pretty disappointed that we only got about 5 hours of new content after ~5 months of its release. I just hope this update was just a buffer to go through while the next one will be much larger
>>
File: hollow.png (39KB, 264x176px) Image search: [Google]
hollow.png
39KB, 264x176px
>>386561975
I have played it though. I'm at the "Ancient Basin". Game looks georgous and I wish it was better but everything is so lifeless, the bad direction and the meh combat made me quit.
>>
>>386569609
Nintendo fanboys love supporting Nintendo after all.
>>
Been playing it for the past two weeks and overall I liked it a lot. Various wonky design decisions, but the good outweighs the bad imo. Backtracking didn't hurt all that much, as I've usually had some new gizmo when I had to go trough familiar terrain and the dream gate from the latest update speeds things up a fair bit. Wasn't so thrilled about the benches being a fair bit away with some bosses. Fights and platforming was ok and was fun at times to figure out which charm combination would do the trick. Areas and bosses that pissed me off usually turned out to be doable with a bit of getting used to, so I'm ok with the fighting system. At the very least, I can still come back after getting some new charms or masks and tank it. Liked the exploration and piecing together the story and reading up an the stuff that I didn't get afterwards. Nice mix of direct and environmental storytelling. Would have preferred to have the map from the get go, but in hindsight wasn't all that hard an obstacle. The lack of a map was kinda cool in Deepnest, when I tried to figure out how to get back out after falling into it. Now all that's left is defeating Radiance. First few tries were a bit annoying, but hey, it's the final challenge. Overall, I enjoyed my time in that world.
>>
>>386569257
N-no lewds please.
>>
File: delet.jpg (44KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
delet.jpg
44KB, 601x601px
>>386566650

Just finished Trial of the Fool earlier today, that fucking part where there is spikes on the floor and those flying enemies made me fucking angry.
>>
>>386571524
Equip nailmaster's glory to one shot primal aspids
>>
>>386570232
Separated cons are not a good way to play anything.
>>
File: 1489377737212.png (139KB, 511x601px) Image search: [Google]
1489377737212.png
139KB, 511x601px
>Have fun with game
>Can never discuss it on /v/ because of all the autism surrounding it
Every fucking time.
>>
>>386571660
>primal aspids

Can't decide whether those fuckers or the flying traitor mantises in Queen's Garden pissed me off more.
>>
>>386571994
They are both fucking awful. Just keep trying at the colloseum. The spike floor part with the suspended platforms is probably the hardest bit.
>>
>>386571828
>have fun with game
>visit /v/
>/v/ tells me the fun was fake and the game was shit
wtf I hate all my favorite games now
>>
File: 1483014977600.jpg (49KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
1483014977600.jpg
49KB, 460x276px
>>386571660

Yeah, I had it equipped and used charge attack mostly, also Grubsong, Quick Soul, Steady Body and Quick Slash, took me 10-15 tries
>>
>>386549047
Its full of bugs
>>
>>386549047
I liked the game but only played half of it. I got lost and couldn't find where to go next.
>>
Anyone who actually enjoyed White Palace? I think I would have ragequit the game there, if it weren't for the Hiveblood charm.
>>
>>386550203
>Enemies have fucking undodgeable attacks
No one has undodgeable attacks you scrub
>>
>>386572469
And its' your job to debug it.
>>
>>386549326
This game had me on the hook for 12 hours but I probably won't play it a second time because the combat alone is not enjoyable enough.
>>
>>386549047
Im glad i picked it on sale and not for full price.
Its so fucking vague and trial and error focused that it makes dark souls look like skyrim.

I stop playing whenever it gets too boring and come back later. Reminds me of my experience with sunless sea were i still dont know what the fuck im doing but i have progressed a lot.

On the graphics note..
Is there a way to disable this horrible film grain effect it has? The options menu is a fucking joke.
>>
I wish the Nailarts charging time was quicker. They're usually unfeasible during boss fights thanks to the long windup. There's Nailmaster's glory, but usually, I need the slots for different charms if the boss is hard, so most of the time, I didn't use the arts.
Also, Grubsong's Elegy is kinda gimped with the full-health-only restriction. I'd love to use it during boss fights some more, but if I lose the effect after one hit, then there's not much point to it. They should at least keep the effect going for about half your health, so you have some leeway to keep using it until you have an opportunity to charge back up during a big fight. Was really nice and useful against the maggot boss in the waterways and for general exploration though.
>>
>>386549047

i give it a ten. it was a refreshing and challenging journey.
>>
>>386574754
The only useful nailart is the spinning one
>>
>>386575095
If we're talking useful, then none of them were that. In the time I need to wind up and evade or position myself, I've probably hit more often with my regular attack. The long charge is kinda killed their usefulness, except as an opening move.
>>
File: Sandra_Pyre.png (763KB, 1100x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Sandra_Pyre.png
763KB, 1100x1100px
>>386549326
When The Stars Align
>>
>>386574754
If you're not a pussy then Grubsong's Elegy can also be used with Rage of the fallen or whatever and you get a second chance to use it when you're on one mask remaining for even more damage.
>>386575095
For what though?
The only useful nailart is the default one because it takes out primal aspids and the like in one shot as well as giving very good coverage.
>>386575596
Nailmaster's glory is your friend.
>>
how does a mediocre uninspired indie game get like 5 threads a day?
>>
>>386575905
It does a shitload of damage.
>>386575596
They're definitely situational. It's great for the coliseum.
>>
>>386575905
Nah, I'm a pussy and not good enough to keep it at 1 hp. If I could keep it at 1 hp and win, I'd not lose full health in the first place.
>>
>>386575905
>>386576229
Thanks for the tip. I didn't think of using the arts for the aspids. Fuck, they're annoying.
>>
We can all agree that Radiance is the best girl, right?
>>
>>386576226
Find me good games to play and I'll make threads on those.
>>
Tips on beating radiance?
>>
File: Stop Sucking.png (108KB, 500x616px) Image search: [Google]
Stop Sucking.png
108KB, 500x616px
>>386578741
Abyss Shriek, equip that one charm that boosts spell power. Kill it to death.
>>
>>386578741
Abyss Shriek, spell power boosting charm,
and as many lifeblood charms as you can possibly manage.
>>
>>386578994
Thanks anon :3
>>
>>386576901
That's not the giraffe bug
>>
>>386578741
I used that as well as a combination of a fully upgraded sword and the thing that boosts attack power. Start off by immediately attacking him as many times as possible with the sword when he first spawns since he only spawns in one place. Then switch over to using abyss shriek.
>>
>>386578741
Equip charms for longer range and faster nail swings.
Be patient.
Do NOT use charged-up nail strikes.
>>
File: Hollow Knight 08.04.2017 - 1.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Hollow Knight 08.04.2017 - 1.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>386576901
Radiance is fun. Combines platforming and combat sort of
>>
>>386581959
How the fuck did you get a bit of dirt on your webm?
>>
Sorry, Anon.
>>
>>386549047

I'll wait until it's in a Humble Bundle.
>>
>>386549047
>Castlevania clone with no original ideas and extremely barebones gameplay
>game of the decade
Go away shill
>>
>>386549047
babbys first metroidvania
>>
File: Boss_The_Gate.png (3KB, 168x166px) Image search: [Google]
Boss_The_Gate.png
3KB, 168x166px
>>386549047
Recently got burned out from Boi, this game any good? Artstyle seems kinda similar to Edmunds. Will I have fun? Looks interesting though not a big fan of not knowing where the fuck I'm suppose to go.
>>
>>386584648
You'll have a map and finding where to go is as simple as seeing what areas you haven't explored on the map. First couple hours are a drag until you get the dash and difficulty starts to ramp up
>>
>>386583578
Next month bro. My dad works for Humble.
>>
>>386549047
This is probably going to sound shitty of me. But I did play it and enjoyed doing all the content. It's a great game and all. I just never want to touch it again. It just don't care for the sprites/animations. I'm not a fan of the artwork either. It's a solid game, even great if you want to call it that for the fact that it's massive and you can truly be "lost" in it's world wandering around looking for cool items.

However, I think the rewards are pretty shit most of the time and some of the slotted charms should have just been permanent unlocked abilities.

I think about replaying it, but I'd rather replay something like SOTN, which has really cool effects and weapons and many permanent abilities than something trying to be restrictive. It's good for one playthrough, but not much else.
>>
>>386585460
cont.d
I wanted it to be an evolution of SOTN or Dawn of Sorrow, but it just wasn't. If it had actual sprite art or something and cooler upgrades I would have probably loved it. But for some reason it's just not doing it for me. It's trying to be too many different things at once that it doesn't really feel all that enjoyable to me. The gameplay is rather shallow once you get down to it. And yet it has more bosses than almost any other metroidvania. This is where the extra permanent abilities would have worked to make the game better. Deeper gameplay would have made those extra bosses more enjoyable and not felt like the game was overstaying it's welcome.
>>
>>386549047
This game really blew my expectations out of the water. I was expecting another shitty indie game maker "art" game and instead I've got Ori on steroids. Seriously it did almost everything Ori did and improved upon it. I don't know how the sequel to Ori is going to be like, but I don't think they will best this game.
>>
Was it just me, or did the whole thing felt like an indie (or at the very least heavily inspired) Dark Souls but in 2D?
>>
>>386586097
The only thing that screamed "DARK SOULS" to me was the shade mechanic when you die.
>>
it's super boring
>>
File: 1483057788776s.jpg (6KB, 250x157px) Image search: [Google]
1483057788776s.jpg
6KB, 250x157px
>>386586324
>the poster count didn't go up
hmmmmm
>>
>>386549047
NO
FUCK
YOU
>>
>>386586264
Different anon here. The theme of walking a decaying world populated largely by husks, trying to set shit right, while piecing together its history and your raison d'etre, was also reminiscent of DS to me. Especially with the fragmented delivery of lore through talks with people who know more than you but won't tell all and environmental tells. Paired with the (somewhat obnoxious) reclaiming of your soul upon death, I ended up thinking of it as a charming platformer DS, without the asshat online multiplayer aspect.
Thread posts: 231
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.