[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About to start this up, what am I in for?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

About to start this up, what am I in for?
>>
Simon's quest.
>>
There's a patched rom floating around that fixes the NPC translations (i.e. their hints actually make sense now) and speeds up the day/night transition scene.
>>
>>386548863
castlevania 2
>>
Fucking ANUS.
>>
>>386549072
Do you have a link to it? I just grabbed a normal ROM
>>
>>386549072
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1032/

Is this it?
>>
>>386549117
>>386549250
http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Hacks/SimonsRedaction.html
>>
>>386548863
This game is a piece of ass! Diarrhoea doo doo
>>
It's nowhere near the worst game on the NES but Castlevania and Castlevania III are far, far better.
>>
>>386548863
>what am I in for?

A prototype of the Metroidvania genre. It's definitely a longer game and less challenging than the prequel.
>>
Oh and the ending sucks too
>>
Find the graveyard duck
>>
OP here, should I use a guide?
>>
>>386548863
In this game you level up, if you don't die and get i think its like 200 hearts for the first level your hp and def will raise. To my knowledge the game doesn't tell you this and it resets your heart counter (not your level) if you die.
>>
>>386550594
I'd say use a map but only use a guide if you get really stuck though most things can be found by talking to villagers. holy water can destroy some blocks
>>
>>386550932
Alright, thanks for the advice
>>
File: NYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.jpg (41KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
NYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.jpg
41KB, 854x480px
>>386548863
>his whip is in the shape of a 2
>>
>>386548863
Bad design, you cant find what to do to advance in the game with the given information. You need a guide or play the patched version.
>>
>>386552310
That is bullshit, there are things close to impossible to find out (unless you autistic and play 24/7).
>>
It's a fine game except that the castles are empty.
>>
>>386550704
>that kid the post
>>
>>386548863
I don't know why no one is telling you to skip it.
>>
>>386555060
You do level up though
>>
>>386548863
Objectively worse than the first game. Way, WAY longer for no fucking reason.
>>
>>386548863
Alternate endings don't matter
>>
>playing pre-PSX and N64 castle vanias
a waste of time
they're generic sidescrollers
>>
le epic avgn meme
>>
>>386557430
played castlevania earlire today for the first time, I wouldn't bother without an emulator but it was pretty decent nice lil timesink for 2 hours. fuck me are items handled weirdly and the falling through the stairs you just climbed incredibly annoying
>>
>>386557430
Classicvanias are great you tasteless nigger
>>
File: Death.webm (1MB, 512x470px) Image search: [Google]
Death.webm
1MB, 512x470px
>>
>>386558351
The bosses in Simon's Quest were a joke
>>
>>386558503
Yeah, they were. But besides that and all of the other flaws anons have pointed out in this thread, at least the game had some good music. Besides Bloody Tears, I always liked the song that plays when you're in a castle, in particular.
>>
>>386558906
Flame whip is neat
>>
This is unironically my favourite Metroidvania in the series. SQ has the exploration without sacrifing too much of the Classicvania platforming.
>>
>>386552595
:O
>>
How long is this game hour wise?
>>
>>386560204
5 hours if ypu're going for 100%
>>
>>386552595
Kino
>>
Castlekino thread?
>>
>>386562168
*ludo
>>
Avgn exagerated it back in 2004 but he isnt wrong. The game has good music and graphics, but the gameplay is ass.
>>
>>386562909
I don't know why they made the difficulty easier, worst mistake
>>
>>386563210

I've always been of the opinion it's not intentionally easier. Posted this here before many times, but the thing with SQ's world is it's open, and traversable left to right. Therefore you can't do precise enemy's placement, and can't design encounter such in the same way you do in a classicvania where you're moving left to right. Enemies respawn as you move off screen. And I feel as a knee jerk reaction to how this was done in Zelda 2, where shitty spawn points and usage of infinite enemies makes many areas and temple sections a fucking unfun SLOG, Simons quest tried to tone down the amount of shit flying at you. Ultimately Zelda 2 feels better than SQ, because it retains its difficulty despite some shit areas, where SQ feels kind of blah because your just whipping junk that spawns as you go. Overall it's a fun game to explore, with a great soundtrack and some cool atmosphere as you draw nearer to the abandoned and haunted towns closer and closer to castlevania.
>>
>>386564041
This is a good way of looking at it, I think the empty areas are unforgiveable though
>>
>>386564041

Ultimately SotN and it's followup games perfected what SQ tried to do, by adding a massive enemy roster so you're always meeting new challenges, and setting up rooms so they've got a challenge approaching from both right or left, and designed player movement and abilities to be more focused on mobility and responsiveness over precision as no strategy, which work great for classicvania, but really don't suit the open-ended metroidvanias very well.

You'd see the, return to a simons-quest like control scheme in Circle of the Moon, which while enhanced with some more SotN type movement abilities and other modern trappings, and is still a good game, suffers from a lot of the same control issues SQ does in its navigation and platforming.
>>
A horrible night to have a curse.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.