[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sonic is hold right to w-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 15

File: sonic-vs-mario.png (481KB, 1372x964px) Image search: [Google]
sonic-vs-mario.png
481KB, 1372x964px
Sonic is hold right to w-
>>
>>386539415
I never understood /v/‘s hate for Sonic. People here say it’s too hard, but games are MEANT to be somewhat challenging
>>
>>386539514

>People here say it’s too hard, but games are MEANT to be somewhat challenging
No one has ever said that.
>>
Still butthurt about red letter media, hih op?
>>
I like Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>386539556
Yes they do nigger. /v/‘s biggest complaint about Sonic is literally that it’s artificial difficulty. Read the archives
>>
>>386539514
Sonic is shit and controls like absolute garbage

>you're the fastest thing around! But you can't go too fast since you have to wait for platforms and other shit. Also you'll be slipping around at all times.

Fuck off.
>>
>>386539796
>controls like absolute garbage
lol
>>
>im too dumb and slow for sonic REEEEEEEE
>thank you Nintendo for making a casual game for me :D
>>
>>386539415
The word is Pacing
>>
The point of Sonic games is that you replay them, and you get faster at the game as you get better at it.

If you're playing slowly, it's not that the game is not representing Sonic's speed. It's YOU, as the player, who is not representing Sonic's speed.
>>
>>386539415
The top two panels are correct, though.
>>
File: miles-crossed(c).gif (340KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
miles-crossed(c).gif
340KB, 256x192px
>>386539415
I'll be honest. I don't think Sonic is designed well.

On one hand it wants to emphazise speed, but on the other it wants you to slow down and platform. It's a clash in design.

In essence it's basically a racing game with platforming, but the platforming shouldn't force you to stop or slow down.
This also makes the zoomed in 2D view not optimal for this kind of playstyle.
>>
as long as we all agree that megaman has always been the tightest platformer then I'm fine
>>
>>386540346
Kirby
>>
>>386539679
Artificial difficulty doesn't imply difficulty. In Sonic you can tank a million hits but many of them are unfair.
>>
>>386539796
You have to actually be moderately skilled to go fast though.
>>
>>386539514
>I never understood /v/‘s hate for Sonic.
Hopping on the meme/e-celeb bandwagon that "Sonic was never good"
>>
>>386540597
newfag
>>
>>386540638
I've been here for seven years.
>>
>>386539514
there are people here who will shit on literally any game
>>
>>386540668
Then you'd know people shat on Sonic all the time before egoraptor who whatever eceleb did.
>>
>>386540720
>he thinks it wasn't a meme pre-Egoraptor
>>
>>386540309
The first Sonic game is kind of a mixed bag of decent levels like Green Hill Zone and Star Light Zone, which have rollercoaster designs with multiple, interconnected paths and shorter platforming sections with enemies. The challenge comes from routing out the quickest path and sticking to it and the fun comes from going fast as a results.
Then you have pure shit like Labyrinth Zone, which is nothing but a pain in the ass and goes against everything the game was made for. It's linear, slow, boring and forces you stop all the time to refill your air. Enemy placements are also pretty shitty since they often get in your way in tight corridors where you have no option but to wait for an opening in their pattern.
>>
>>386540445
If you're taking so many hits, maybe you should slow down a little and try to learn the layout of the level?
It's almost like complaining that you're constantly smacking into walls in a racing game, when trying to go full speed through every curve.
>>
>>386540815
I'm not getting into the argument of whether Sonic actually has artificial difficulty or not, I'm just spelling out what it means if it does. It's possible for a game to be unfair without actually being tough.
>>
>>386540638
>>386540668
If you came here after 2007, you're a newfag. That's how it works. Oldfag and newfag isn't about how many years you've been around. They are two different eras.
Most of us are newfags. Live with it.
>>
>>386540868
>I'm not getting into the argument of whether Sonic actually has artificial difficulty or not
Then, why did you even start posting? You're making it sound like you want people to accept your opinion without any argumentation. That's not really how things work.
>>
Only sonic games ive played is 2, 3, adventure 1 + 2, heroes, 06, and unleashed. I tried sonic 1 but it was honestly one of the worst games i have ever played. Is there anything else i should play bros?
>>
>>386540993
Because you didn't understand what artificial difficulty means. I don't care whether Sonic is a case of that or not, I didn't make that point.
>>
>>386541158
Artificial difficulty is difficulty nevertheless.
>>
>>386541207
Sure, but the degree of difficulty it adds may be low.
>>
>>386540309
No, it's a platformer where you can use speed and momentum to platform further and better if you understand how to make use of it, which in turn lets you move further and faster through the levels in reward for your mastery over it as well as requiring further mastery to maintain. That doesn't clash in any way and instead causes a smooth cycle of skill and satisfying action begetting itself. The platforming isn't there to force you to slow down, it's to provide a challenge for you to overcome while maintaining your main resource, speed. It's a subtle but very important difference.
>>
>>386541298
>That doesn't clash in any way and instead causes a smooth cycle of skill and satisfying action begetting itself.
Only once you're familiar enough with the level design to not get stopped every 10 seconds. It becomes fun after you git gud.
>>
>>386539796
it's a platformer with the capacity for speed
not the other way around
>>
>>386541298
The problem here is that some levels simply don't allow this. Or, at least, they severely limit the player, no matter how skilled, from going at a satisfying pace. Having to wait for moving parts, air bubbles, enemies blocking tight paths etc goes against the design of ''Learn the game and level, play it faster''.
>>
>>386541410
That's mostly the case in Sonic 1. Later Sonic games have level design which permits you to avoid waiting or at the very least get around the segments which require it.
>>
>>386541360
You're not stopped every 10 seconds unless you're trying to hold right to win.
>>
>>386541460
Yeah, I know. It's why I always prefer the second over the first. The thread started with an image of Sonic 1 and people usually claim Sonic was never good, so I assumed that was the topic.
>>
>>386540097
There are certain spots that force you to be slow though.
>>
>>386540346
Castlevania NES games are better platformers than megashit, where they throw enemies at you everysecond causing the game to lag all the fucking time
>>
>>386540758
This. Standing on a block slowing going across lava is slow and boring.
>>
>>386541360
Not really, no. Every level is designed to give clear warning signs and tells that show what kind of obstacle is coming up so that even if you haven't been there before it triggers a reaction or awareness from you, should you be paying attention to level design and using standard reflexes in a platformer
>>386541410
Every level even in Sonic 1 with the exception of some areas in Marble zone only entirely force you to stop for at most a second or so and only for very few moments, which is to vary the level and give a little moment's downtime without overstaying it's welcome. It shows up even less in later games.
>>
>>386541681
You can remedy it by maintaining momentum from a previous area and making a fairly tricky jump over at least parts of the lava.
>>
File: 1387619508922.jpg (27KB, 387x461px) Image search: [Google]
1387619508922.jpg
27KB, 387x461px
>>386539415
I played a bit Sonic 1 and I did not like it, the level design was all over the place to the point where I just wanted to stop playing. Maybe if I want to give classic Sonic another shot, I should just skip the first one.
>>
> Sonic gets an invincibility power up.
> Still able to die from falling off the map.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM35d979zy0

Best first stage BGM ever. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>386541813
and being crushed
and drowning
>>
>>386541772
>has only played Sonic 1
>hasn't beaten it
>hasn't played the others

Sonic 2 is drastically easier, 3&K and 2 also have much better, faster level design.
>>
>>386539415
>Impossible to see enemy coming from offscreen if you go too fast

This sounds like a TERRIBLE design flaw from a game where you're supposed to go the fastes possible.
You're telling me skills don't matter because if you play a level blind you'll do shit anyway because of obstacles like that? A good and challenging game is supposed to be beatable with a good score even on the first run if the player is good.
>>
>>386542042
You can though, the picture is a joke detailing that complaints labeled against Sonic are usually bullshit.

granted, 1s level design isn't all that great.
>>
>>386541953
Marble Zone was a slog to say the least. Difficulty is not the problem, I just could not stomach the level design. I just flat out hard stopped.
>>
>>386542042
>you're supposed to go the fastes possible
says who?
where does this idea come from that it's mandatory to zip through the level?

In SMW you can run straight through the level too, AND it gives you a bonus for unused time, but nobody tacks on this imagined mandatory speedrun bullshit.

Just play it however the fuck you want to play it, you don't NEED to hold right the entire time.
>>
File: 1344744368033.jpg (220KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1344744368033.jpg
220KB, 600x600px
>>386539415
>unironically giving a shit about Sonic
Go be an autistic degenerate furfaggot somewhere else. Remember when /v/ used to make fan of autistic Sonic fags like Chris-chan?
What the fuck happened to this board?
>>
>>386542195
Sonic also gives you a time bonus and it's pretty clear from the marketing that they wanted the player to run faster than any other platformer.
Too bad the levels weren't always designed for this.
>>
>>386542289
Is this the highest level of nitpicking? The marketing says you can go fast, but you can't always go fast and going fast isn't easy.
>>
>>386542042
Yeah. Good thing he's exaggerating and level design is such a way that enemies are telegraphed. Also you're supposed to go as fast as possible, you're supposed to platform and avoid obstacles well which gives you speed, which you in turn use to platform further etc.
>>386542176
>stopped playing on only the second level
You can't really say much about the entire game's level design if that's how far you went, considering there's many more levels after that. Sonic 1, since it was their first outing mixed the proper speed levels with more platforming oriented ones. Marble Zone is the worst level but it's not really badly designed as a standard platformer level. Sonic just isn't a standard platformer. You should give it another try, the next level goes back to what you probably liked, or at least move onto Sonic 2.
>>
>>386542285
There is a difference between being a Sonic autist and a Sonic fan. 2D Sonic games, especially the first games plus the Advance series, have always had normal fans.
>What the fuck happened to this board?
You came here thinking you knew everyone's opinion.
>>
>>386542289
>I always do what the marketing tells me to
It doesn't even say you should always be going fast, it just shows that it's possible if you're good.
>>
>>386542289
>it's pretty clear from the marketing
well no shit, they were told to push BLAST PROCESSING to sell consoles

how many PS4's has the controllers touchpad sold?
>>
>>386542353
Of course it isn't easy and no, it's not nitpicking at all. The game was sold on the premise ''It's way faster than Mario'' so expecting to go fast is not unreasonable in the least. It's in the first sentence on the back of the box and the first level is pretty much a safe playground where going fast doesn't take much skill.
Of course players are going to expect the game to be like this.
>>
>>386542360
not supposed to go*
Obvious typo but yeah.
>>
>>386539796
Speed is your reward for getting moderately good at the game you dumb shitter.
>>
>>386540097
But the many of the levels encourage exploration to find secrets, secrets that are hidden behind obstacles such as weirdly placed spikes.

Sonic controls wonky when he is not in momentum, and with too much momentum the controls are not accurate enough for precision controls.

Yeah yeah, get gud. But I've looked up the 'best sonic players' and I still see the same game design problems when they play.

The core value of Sonic is that it tries to merge two ideas and none of them works all that great. Sonic was a great mascot and thats why so many people love it but the games are not good they are less than mediocre
>>
Can someone please tell me which retard is trying to revive some kind of 90s style Mario-Sonic rivalry for preteens by making these threads every day?
>>
>>386542697
okay, but first tell me why such trivial matters concern you
>>
>>386539514
/vr/ likes Sonic
/v/ doesn't like anything.
>>
>>386542195
>game called sonic
>characters entire identity is going fast
>marketed as very fast game
you are saying nobody expected you to go fast? Lol go fuck yourself blue furry apologist
>>
>>386542195
The platforming, level design and controls are actually good in SMW though
>>
>>386542805
Were you born in the 2000's perchance?

That's not a jab at you, it's just that in the 90's marketing for video games was a whole other beast.
>>
>>386542512
>expecting to go fast is not unreasonable in the least.

but you can go fast, so what's the complaint?

>>386542176
Real talk, most of the levels in Sonic 1 suck design wise. Marble Garden is the slowest, but Green Hill Zone is still the best level in the game. Everything else is generally pretty slow and dull. Sonic 2 is a lot easier but its level design is much better, and 3&K really improved shit all around.
>>
>>386542512
No one in their right mind would expect the first level to be the standard for difficulty in the entire game, especially back in the days where games weren't complete handholdy pushovers.
>>
>>386542615
The game hypes itself on speed, whereas on the contrary if it's not a loop or a speed boost you have to lose momentum by using springs, changing direction,and waiting for platforms. It's a decent platformer, but its emphasis on speed kills it. If that wasn't a selling point they'd probably not have made mediocre trash after 3.
>>
>>386542942
Im 22
the first sanic game I played was 3 on genesis. I played it like a regular platformer and it was kinda lame
I played a bunch of other games including 3D ones and the best one in my opinion is advance 2 on GBA
>>
Ristar is a way better genesis platformer
>>
>>386543263
I don't want your credentials man, you have your own opinions

>>386543214
by that rationale, if SMW was a 8/10 game, but it was called Super-Fast Mario World, it would be knocked down a few points...?

Tell me you at least understand what I'm getting at here
>>
>>386541929
>>386541813
Yet mario without powerups is allowed to spin on enemies heads that are otherwise unkillable and thats ok?
>>
>>386542618
>But the many of the levels encourage exploration to find secrets
Yes, and using acquired speed and momentum is one of the primary ways you can traverse the level to avoid obstacles and reach these secrets. Spikes aren't weirdly placed if they're in your way.
>Sonic controls wonky when he is not in momentum
This is completely false. Momentum is at play at all times and makes controlling Sonic a joy, every movement makes complete sense because of how speed builds and tapers off. It's just not a sudden standstill like other games, which should be immediately apparent.
>it tries to merge two ideas and none of them works all that great
I already said this before but no, that's only a very flawed and basic look at it, and the core concept works amazingly in practice, leading to a much more unique platforming experience. That's not design problems, it just requires a very mildly different approach which is rewarded. If you honestly think the only reason people bought Sonic games in droves leading to a hugely successful game series from a new IP especially in the past videogame market was because of him being a mascot, then you're just denying reality plain and simple.
>>
>>386543398
I get what your saying, but SMW prides itself on platforming and good controls, it doesn't sell the plumber as anything other than Mario. If you complete the level fast that's a nice incentive. But Sonic is FAST that's his gimmick, he is Sega's Mario, but FAST. Where in hindsight only a few levels of his can be completed fast without slow downs. That knocks points off for me.
>>
>>386543687
You sound like an even bigger autist than /v/ usually is.
>>
>>386543687
You can use speed and momentum in all levels though, as a method to enhance your platforming. Somehow it sounds like you have a wholly binary view of something so variable as the concept of speed.
>>
>>386543680
Sonic controls like a dogshit in ice
>>
>>386543782
My apologies, I was merely giving my posts meaningful points and hoping to engage in a delightful conversation. Your post made me remember where I am. Sorry for trying to talk Vidya.
>>
>>386539415
Sonic is easy as hell tho
>>
>>386543930
The momentum hinders and helps the game. When it works, it is very enjoyable buzzing through levels without pause. But when the slow downs happen, they halt the process, and you wait until you can regain momentum to go back to why you're even playing the game over another platformer.
>>
>>386539415
Different gameplay styles and mechanics to suit them.
Marble sucks because it doesn't take advantage of Sonic's mechanics in any meaningful way.
>>
>the sonic spergs ITT
Holy shit. Can't you even type like normal people?
>>
>>386541410
>The problem here is that some levels simply don't allow this.
And there's a reason later games stopped seeing Marble and Labrynth-like levels.
>>
>>386543687
Which Sonic games have you played? Because momentum and speed plays a major role in navigating levels in Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles. It's pretty well known that Sonic stages have multiple paths, and that the upper path is generally harder to stay on but more rewarding.

I've never really seen a platforming game like Sonic 2 through Knuckles, but it's very clear that 1 hadn't yet fully figured out how to do Sonic.
>>
>>386539514
>It's a game where the protagonist goes fast
>It's a plataformer. You can't go fast.
>>
>>386543394
>Implying that matters
It's just autists that masturbate to the hilariously extended universe of fucking sonic the hedgehog trying to justify their obsession. As long as the originals are 'the best platformer' then it's totally understandable to have weirdly sticky statue of Amy on the shelf with every single sonic game released since
>>
>>386544404
I've played all classic sonic games up + Sonic & Knuckles. I'm not sure where you are getting this idea that momentum is not important, never did I mention this. I am saying that the games 1,2,3 are hindered by their momentum. If you have to stop to change paths, stop for bubbles, stop for springs, ANYTHING aside from bosses that makes you not accelerate is detracting from the reason you're even playing. Honestly, it is fast Mario, there is no other reason to play these games if you are not GOING FAST.
>>
File: sawnic.jpg (9KB, 162x178px) Image search: [Google]
sawnic.jpg
9KB, 162x178px
>>386544349
>complains about posters' ability to type
>uses a period instead of a comma
>>
>>386543952
No he doesn't.
>>386544190
You say that like you get stopped constantly (which is false even in slower levels unless you're doing absolutely terrible at the game) and like speed isn't very simple to rebuild again anyway. It's literally only one and a half levels in one game as well which has a lower base speed. Why is hyperbole the only weapon used by people criticizing Sonic games?
>>
>complaining about level design when mario can do skips under the level, wrong warp, and walk backwards through blocks
I bet you don't even know how the loop de loop works with the triggers...

>this game sucks you have to stop every 10 seconds
-you-, have to stop every 10 seconds.
>>
File: never good.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
never good.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>386544754
>You say that like you get stopped constantly
But you do. Just look at this guy. He has to stop like 4 times in 15 seconds.
>>
>>386544590
But, you can.
>>
>>386544754
Most ways people criticize the Sonic games is all based on opinion. Any points brought up is immediately shat on by the spergs and furfags obsessed with the series. My points were more of a speculation as to why someone would play the game if the whole reason they got it was not wholly there, as opposed to the copious amounts of better games out there.
>>
>>386544962
>These are the people who claim Sonic won't let you go fast
>>
>>386544678
So you're trying to argue that because the game doesn't have you running 100% of the time that the games are bad? You're argument is genuinley shit dude, you might as well argue that Mega Man shouldn't exist because Castelvania already exists and Mega Man is just Simon Belmont with a buster.

It's just a different style of platformer, the fans like it because it does something unique that other platformers don't really do.

>>386545037
>as opposed to the copious amounts of better games out there.

Sounds to me like you're dancing around arguments here as to why Sonic is actually a bad series. A lot of people, myself included, easily consider 3&Ks to be one of the best platformers made.
>>
File: c4a.jpg (23KB, 680x558px) Image search: [Google]
c4a.jpg
23KB, 680x558px
>>386544962
>there are people this bad at games with consoles that had a dpad and 3 buttons
spindash motherfucker, all my cringe
>>
>>386544962
That is the most incompetent attempt at sanic I have ever seen.
>>
>>386543603
>>386543603
>>386543603
>>386543603
Literally no come back to this, Mario fags in denial
>>
>>386544678
>ANYTHING aside from bosses that makes you not accelerate is detracting from the reason you're even playing
You have a completely warped notion of how games can be designed, and sound like the kind who disregards any idea of skill and welcomes the handholding nature of current games.
>>
File: 1500824212541.jpg (31KB, 353x400px) Image search: [Google]
1500824212541.jpg
31KB, 353x400px
>>386545270
>Quoting a post 4 times to get more attention
>>
>>386545152
Where did I ever state it was a bad game? My main gripe was that it sold itself on a false premise. I don't personally enjoy them to a full extent,but respect their rights to be called games. I am not making an argument to sway you, but to explain my reasoning. Mega Man and Castlevania are different platformers, each do exactly what they claim. Sonic, in my opinion, just does poorly on its claim to go fast. My apologies if it triggers you.
>>
File: 85f3.png (215KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
85f3.png
215KB, 600x800px
>>386544962

You'd think the one type of people they'd hire at game review companies, are people who can actually play games. This is why I don't watch these videos.
>>
File: 1362251192784.jpg (106KB, 486x400px) Image search: [Google]
1362251192784.jpg
106KB, 486x400px
>>386544962
>Game operates using a d-pad and ONE BUTTON
>Can't figure out how it works
I guess the concept of momentum is lost on these retards. And then people wonder why some good games get oddly low scores.
>>
>>386545523
Let's talk momentum in Sonic '06 <3
>>
>>386545569
Did you smirk when you hit the submit button?
>>
>>386545037
Your opinions are automatically fact because anyone that argues against them are obsessive spergs and furfags? Wow you sure sound like someone worth discussing things with.
>>
>>386545341
>>386545341
>>386545341
>>386545341
*Wearing a ribbon* :^)
>>
>>386545662
You are putting words in my mouth anon when you know full well I want something else...

But again, nothing I stated was fact, I feel you are looking about my opinions in a derogatory manner as if I am purposely attacking the games for no other reason than personal joy, whereas, I am just explaining my qualms as to why it makes me question the appeal over other games.
>>
>>386545363
>Where did I ever state it was a bad game?

The whole "copious amounts of better games" comment makes it seem like Sonic is a sub par series. Not exactly bad, but you're clearly dismissing it.

> My main gripe was that it sold itself on a false premise.

They don't, you can go fast in the games. For some reason you're making the assumption that Sonic should be fast 100% of the time and should have no dips in momentum, and since the games don't do that then you think they're failing on their promise of speed. Your criticism just ain't really valid when you can't properly explain why it's a detriment to the Sonic games, instead of just stating that it fails your personal idealized concept of what a fast platformer should be.

Honestly, it's like you'd play F-Zero GX and then throw a shitfit because the ships are starting the race from a stationary position and the game pitches itself as the fastest racing game.
>>
>>386545994
>> instead of just stating that it fails your personal idealized concept of what a fast platformer should be

But anon, that's exactly what I did, and then sought out to question why people would prefer it to any other game.

It's like you think my opinion has some merit or something. I appreciate it. <3
>>
File: 1465579508212.jpg (117KB, 1438x957px) Image search: [Google]
1465579508212.jpg
117KB, 1438x957px
Don't care about this going fast argument, I just wanted to say half of Sonic 1's levels are pretty bad IMO.

Fuck Marble Zone
Fuck Labyrinth Zone
Fuck Scrap Brain Zone
>>
>>386545363
Your opinion is based on false reasoning. Sonic games give you all the tools you need to complete levels fast, and by using the speed you accumulate you can platform even more effectively or reach new areas. That's how the marketing showed it, they showed someone playing well and he's fast because he can be. You just took it to mean that you should always be moving fast for some reason, that doesn't mean the game was sold on a false premise at all, and such a thing wouldn't even affect the gameplay itself.
>>386545845
Nah, I'm just calling out your snarky passive aggressiveness and flawed argumentative technique where it's blatant despite you trying to hide it.
>Any points brought up is immediately shat on by the spergs and furfags obsessed with the series
>why someone would play the game (...) as opposed to the copious amounts of better games out there
>>
>>386546178
I'm stating that your opinion holds no merit because you refuse to back it up, or at least state reasons as to why you feel that way.
>>
File: 00t.jpg (24KB, 500x359px) Image search: [Google]
00t.jpg
24KB, 500x359px
>>386545363
>Mario advertised as a plumber
>games aren't about replacing pipework and unclogging shitters
wtf Nintendo
>>
>>386546353
Exactly, I'd play that game.
>>
>>386546259
Are you stating that Sonic does not have the most cancerous fanbase, only being rivaled by Undertale? I need a screencap if so.
>>
>>386546516
Are you stating that you're a gigantic faggot, only being rivaled by OP? I need a screencap if so.
>>
>>386545270
Just thought I'd reply and give you that little moment of disappointment
>>
>>386539796
Posts like this make me have to assume that the people who shit on Sonic really do have the WORST reaction time. Like literally grandma tier reactions where that takes them a full second to respond, and thus can't handle a game like Sonic where you actually carry your inertia realistically when you stop moving.
>>
>>386541561
Yes, and?
>>
>>386544651
>>386543394
So true
>>
>>386546516
I'm stating it's pretty retarded to try and get into a discussion if you're already writing off anyone that might happen to take part in it. This is /v/, but you don't have to bring the quality of posting down even further. Besides have you even seen that Yoshi egg stuff?
>>
>>386540748
This

Previously Recorded were the ones that started it
>>
>>386541861

Tons of sonic games alone have better first stage BGMs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yitJY0Z9MLM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn2y3yBRFXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6NaZrPQGfY
>>
>>386544651
>>386547379
Not really, it's just easy to shit on Sonic since the majority of his releases have been bad. That and there's this whole "was Sonic ever good?" meme that keeps going on despite no one really being able to provide good reasons as to why the Genesis games were bad. This ends up annoying people who actually grew up with the Genesis games.

>>386547616
That one dude is pretty much repeating the "its hard to go fast!" thing that Rich was trying to argue.
>>
>>386539560
What happened to RLM?
>>
>>386542289
>marketing
The marketing for the game was that Sonic was faster than any other platformer, not that you HAVE to go fast to beat the game.
>>
>>386542615
This is true about literally any other platformer. But in those games it's actually fun
>>
>>386548336
>in those games it's actually fun
so they're like Sonic then
>>
>>386548336
Gee I wasn't aware that getting better at the first stage of SMW or Mega Man allowed you to beat it in 25 seconds.
>>
>>386548336
But Sonic is very fun. Also you can use said speed as a resource to do fun things.
>>
>>386544190
Wow, you mean I have to actually use my abilities properly to play the game?! YOU MEAN I HAVE TO POSITION AND TIME MY JUMPS PROPERLY TO NOT DIE?!?!?!
>>
File: 02s.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
02s.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
>>386548598
this desu, Sonic's just too hard
>>
>>386543263
>advance 2 on GBA

I like advance 2, but no more than original trilogy + CD...shit taste, you are the typical GOTTA GO FAST guy.
>>
>>386548336
>way more enemies and obstacles that requires way more memorization and practice to avoid
>get punished way harder for making mistakes
>no other reward for going fast other than beating the level faster
>>
Sonic games were never mainly about going fast until the 3d games where you could see ahead of you

In the 2d games the fast sections were just a reward for making it through the platforming parts, which were the chunk of the game
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (11KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
11KB, 320x180px
>>386543263
>complains that it's impossible to see enemies in front of you
>favorite Sonic game is Advance 2
>>
>>386549138
Sonic Advance 2 is patrician tier sanic, severely underrated and is the only thing he got right in his post even though I wouldn't really call it better than 3&K.
>>
>>386550102
It's not a bad game, but it's the one game that's guilty of EVERY common complaint people have railed against the classics for.

I just can't understand how someone could say they didn't enjoy the classics for those reasons, but like Advance 2
>>
>>386551018
> guilty of EVERY common complaint people have railed against the classics for
It might seem like that to the common Sonic bitcher and you're right that it's odd coming from someone like that, but the game's actually just as well designed about it as the others, despite boost mode giving you access to huge speed any upcoming threats are still signposted early enough to let you react. Plus tricks give you even more mobility.
>>
>>386540346
2D Ninja Gaiden wins this.
>>
>>386547357
That isn't on the player.
>>
>>386539514
don't you get you get it? /v/ just likes to shitpost memes to pass the time, no one here actually plays video-games.
>>
>>386553545
It's a platformer. The game would be unplayable if it made you make precise jumps at high speed.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a Sonic game where speed and platforming are more interconnected, but there's nothing wrong with the classic's level design, especially with how it tries to maintain the flow even during slower areas, since you're rarely force to come to a dead stop.
>>
>>386556071
Speed is already interwoven almost entirely through the platforming though because of the countless ways you can use it on slopes and terrain to jump further. It's not even very difficult to aim yourself in midair or land properly or relatively precisely either.
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.