[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Loved DOOM 2016, will I like pic related? Is it any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: 1_doom_3_bfg_edition.jpg (35KB, 508x285px) Image search: [Google]
1_doom_3_bfg_edition.jpg
35KB, 508x285px
Loved DOOM 2016, will I like pic related? Is it any good?
>>
>>386526175
It's the worst Doom game of all time but it's still okay.
>>
It's nothing like Doom 2016. That being said it's okay, but it's not really a Doom game. It feels more like a horror-themed mix of System Shock and Half Life.

Also the BFG edition of Doom 3 is easier than the original and has worse lighting, so I'd pick up the original instead.
>>
>>386526175
Rev up those jump scares
It's pretty fun, I remember being super hyped about it when it came out and playing it in the dark. Definitely not really the DOOM you're probably thinking of
>>
>>386526246
What's so bad about it? Slower and more linear?
>>
>>386526418
>>386526502
Even if it's not doom esque, is the experience it offers decent enough to warrant $15? I'm ok with an Alien like demon game if it plays well and isn't too tedious
>>
>>386526548
A lot slower, no rip and tear, no real doomguy, relies more on sp00kyness and atmosphere. I feel like, stand alone, it's a fun game to play through at least once. Compared to the other Doom games though, it doesn't really stand up.
>>
>>386526175
It's excellent, it is just a different pace and especially a different tone/vibe. It is meant to have you slowly moving around exploring and occasionally being jumped with a few big fights. 2016 Doom is the older style throw everything at you run and gun style. Besides, it's cheap, try it.
>>
>>386526657
That said, I distinctly remember some of the weapons being fairly satisfying, and killing things ain't bad either.
>>
>>386526548
And bad encounter design. The game has a lot of cool monsters but prepare to only fight imps for 3/4 of the game (that's an exaggeration obviously but you seriously mostly fight imps and it gets old).

>>386526771
SP - Brigador. MP - CS:GO with a friend, don't judge me.
>>
>>386526175
Think of a clunkier and less spooky dead space. That is doom 3
The game is fun, try it
>>
>>386526175
>can't see anything
>turn up the brightness
>looks like shit
>turn off monitor
>>
I enjoyed it immensely. It may not have the same feel as the other Doom games but it is still a good game in it's own right and it's one of the better shooters of all time.

Also if you have a Vive the game is fully playable in VR with mods which adds to the experience a ton
>>
>>386526886
Sorry, I deleted my post m8. Meant to actually make a thread that will get 0 replies but had this thread opened in another tab.
>>
>>386526642
>is the experience it offers decent enough to warrant $15?
What platform are you planning to play it on? Because Doom 3 is only five bucks on steam, and I'd say that's a reasonable price.
>>
>>386526958
It's BC on the xbone which is what enticed me to get it.
>>
No, it's kinda garbage, actually.

Good art direction. Absolutely mindblowing graphics for it's time (though also god-awfully optimized).
But the actual game is fucking terrible. Awful, floaty guns with no feedback, insanely shitty claustrophobic level design, encounter "design" consisting of placing enemies right behind doors so they can jumpscare you, and at absolute best throwing (GASP!) like four enemies at once at you, tops.

The guns are awful, the enemies look good but are brain-dead, there is literally not enough space to fucking move around, it's painfully slow, drags on for EVER through the same three fucking asset sets, it desperately tries to be System Shock except it forgets anything resembling variety or problem solving. Fuck they could not be even arsed to implement proper locational damage in this pile of garbage.

People who defend this shit and Prey really have no idea what a good FPS design looks like. It's just not a fun shooter - the awful levels and truly insulting encounter design being the biggest issues. It ends just being boring as FUCK.
>>
>>386527006
Oh. I guess fifteen bucks is alright. Have fun.
>>
Ignore these shitters it's better than the new game
The only problems it has are the levels being cramped, enemies not being used to their full potential and some redundant weapons
Also it's not fucking slow, in fact you can strafejump around and are never held back or forced to sit through any long winded cutscene bullshit
>>
>>386527193
The enemy AI isn't bad for the kind of game it is. It's not amazing but I kind of liked it. I absolutely fucking despised Prey (2006), though, holy shit was that game a lot of wasted potential.

Do you like Quake 4?

>>386527296
>forced to sit through any long winded cutscene bullshit
Yeah, instead it has a long-ass opening lifted straight from HL1 and a bunch of regular-ass cutscenes.
>>
>>386527339
>It's not amazing but I kind of liked it.
60% of the actual interesting stuff is pre-scripted. They barely know how to move on their own.

>Do you like Quake 4?
Fuck NO.

>>386527296
>ver held back or forced to sit through any long winded cutscene bullshit
have you... actually fucking played the game?
Because it's start with like 10 fucking minutes of absolutely fuck all happening while the game showcases it's (admitedly impressive) in game computer interfaces.
Even after the fucking demons appear, you'll get to fight them like one at the time every five fucking minutes or less for the entirety of the fucking first hour.
The fuck.
>>
>>386526175
No and no
>>
Its pretty good. Whats your gamertag? Me and a friend need +1 for the MP achievements
>>
>>386526175
play quake 4 instead. no, really.
>>
>>386527462
>They barely know how to move on their own.
Even outside of scripted stuff like ceiling/wall climbing, I thought imps' repertoire of movements was good. I guess that's why they overused them so much. They can dodge, do a projectile ranged attack, pounce if you're close. It's not bad.

That's a shame. I thought it was very good, but I'm a sucker for Raven trash.

>>386527505
Why not play both?
>>
>>386526175
Contender for the worst shotgun in a videogame ever.
>>
>>386526175
Get the original DooM3 if possible.
>Support for Hires textures
>Sikkmod
>plenty of mods
>No shitty multiplayer with forced open mic
>>
and remember, you're always a winner with martian buddy!
>>
>Make everything pitch black
>Can't use flashlight and gun simultaneously

Wow, great stuff.
>>
>>386527724
How did those fucks get their hands on BFG ammo, anyway?

>>386527936
>Make everything pitch black
Exaggeration.
>>
>>386527936

You can use the flashlight with a gun in the BFG edition
>>
>>386527193
>Prey
prey was fucking awesome though, unlike doom3
>>
>>386528236
Of the two shitty games, Doom 3 was by far the less insulting. At least it looked pretty. Prey was just as bad mechanically, but my god was in fucking offensive to look or listen to.
>>
File: 1493724583686.jpg (48KB, 601x600px) Image search: [Google]
1493724583686.jpg
48KB, 601x600px
>>386526720
>That said, I distinctly remember some of the weapons being fairly satisfying
Only the super shotgun, and that came with the expansion pack. Plasma gun is like shooting pillows at demons until they fade out. The chain gun, more like the chain nail gun. The chainsaw was okay but became mechanically useless after a while unless you're playing on easy.
>>
>>386526175
BFG cannot be modded or upgraded properly.
Find a copy of Doom3 and the xpac for maxium enjoy.
>>
>>386528496
>Weeaboo has a horrible opinion
Not surprised. Don't reply to me ever again.
>>
>>386528593
>Weeaboo
?
>>
>>386528679
Unironically liking nu-Doom makes you an insufferable fucking faggot and you know it. Stop replying to me.
>>
>>386528734
How does it imply he's a weeb though?
>>
>>386528770
>He's
Talking in third person is not healthy. Read your original post again.
>>
File: doom3.jpg (1KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
doom3.jpg
1KB, 360x360px
>>
File: 103JgWJ[1].png (204KB, 1819x955px) Image search: [Google]
103JgWJ[1].png
204KB, 1819x955px
>>386528818
are you literal retard?
>>
I just downloaded the VR/HD texture mods for BFG, and I'm enjoying it so far. Even the Touch controllers work on it, so that shit's pretty immersive.
>>
Monster closets: the game.
>>
>>386526175
If you liked shit, you'll like shit.
>>
>>386526175
>will I like pic related?
No, if you expect Doom 2016.
>Is it any good?
Yes.
>>
Did anyone ever play Doom3 Co-op on Veteran mode? That was the fucking BEST. One player became a spotter with a flashlight while the other had to be Johnny on the spot with the gunfire.
>>
>>386527006
Comes with the addon, a new mission addon and doom 1 + 2, not bad at all.
>>
>>386526175
did you play doom 1 and 2?
do you remember the times where you picked up the shotgun or whatever, the lights go out, walls open with dudes waiting to rip your face off?
it's like that, but all the time and the enemies aren't as threatening
also, play it without the ducttape mod if you can so you can really get a sense of what it was like (I don't remember if they added the ducttape mod to the game officially or not)
>>
My first playthorugh of Doom 3 was on the Original Xbox and it was hype as fuck.
>>
>>386526175
It's a decent horror game that has next to nothing in common with Doom.

But if you ignored that it's the worst entry in the best game series ever, then judged on its own it's actually not a bad game.

Wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>386526175
I doubt. Carmack fucked it up.
>>
It's objectivley the worst Doom game but it's still fun. Oddly enough when I think of Doom this is what I think of initially. I just love the atmosphere and slow pacing.
>>
The BFG edition is crap.
>>
>>386531485
It fixes the flashlight so it's alright in my book
>>
File: Doom 3 BFG version differences.png (134KB, 2406x1006px) Image search: [Google]
Doom 3 BFG version differences.png
134KB, 2406x1006px
>>386526175
>BFG Edition
Don't. Just don't.

D3 was a slow paced horror game. Still a better game than nuDoom.
You should just (re-)play Doom 1, 2, and 64.
>>
File: Coverdoom3-1-.jpg (38KB, 344x500px) Image search: [Google]
Coverdoom3-1-.jpg
38KB, 344x500px
It's a really really underrated horror shoter masterpiece. Playing it in the dark with headphones and volume cranked to the max will fucking kill you. Never played a game where getting hit by an enemy felt like a literal guttpunch.

Sounddesign in this game is the best I've ever seen for a horror game or any game in general. Playing it for more than 2 hours will take a toll on your body. Just make sure you play in the dark and headphones on.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.