[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you usually play on Ultra settings or the step below? (High

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: ultravhigh.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ultravhigh.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
Do you usually play on Ultra settings or the step below? (High or Very high)
Do you actually notice any difference?
Is the performance loss worth it in most games?
>>
I play whatever gives me 60 fps.
Usually it's very low nowadays since my PC is outdated as fuck.
>>
>>386524473
>>
>>386524395
It highly depends on the game we're talking about, the genre, and how much fps i get at ultra.

Singleplayer = graphics
Multiplayer = fps
>>
If it's a game that doesn't require reaction based combat like an MMO even though you can run them on a literal potato I'll set it to the nicest I can run
For twitch shooters I'll max out my FPS
>>
>>386524473
I do the same sometimes.

But they always butt fuck me on the shadows where if you get off very high to high it looks like shit or it flickers....

I wish a game would optimize their shadows that's where most computers get fucked on.
>>
>>386524395
I set them to ultra, and then tweak until I get 60FPS

The only things I never touch are resolution and at least a minimum of x2 AA
>>
i normally play on high or even medium with high textures if it still makes the game look good. once i get my 1440p 144hz monitor i'll probably play on medium consistently to keep fps above 60 with my gtx 1070
>>
>>386524473
this. Many games can look gorgeous as fuck but if I have to withstand stuttering or slow feedback It ruins everything. Its always best to make speed the priority while keeping it as good looking as it can. Especially with multiplayer games because good graphics don't get you kills, being faster than your enemy does. If you can have both then you are set.
>>
>>386524473
>>
>>386524395
fps has always been the more important thing. I'd rather play with ultra shitty graphics and 60fps than super high graphics.
>>
>>386524728
there isn't much to optimize, in order to draw shadows you need to draw all the visible geometry from the light caster's point of view, and if there's a million of polygons from that POV, then you're going to take a performance hit whether you like it or not

then, you need to filter the shadowmap to not look all pixelated as fuck, and if you don't want it to "flicker" like you mentioned, then you need to increase the size of the shadowmap resolution, which means that the filtering is going to hit your FPS even more, because there are more pixels to filter in the shadowmap

shadows ain't cheap
>>
>>386524395
I play multiplayer games always using the lowest detail level even if my system is well capable of running it at higher levels.

When it comes to single player games I usually run them on the highest level my system does well. For action games I generally favour fps over graphical fidelity though.
>>
File: Prey_2017_08_04_00_47_25_927.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Prey_2017_08_04_00_47_25_927.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
If I can maintain locked 60 FPS on Ultra I do that.

If not I will progressively lower settings until I find a nice balance between visual quality and performance. Usually all I have to do is drop 1-2 settings and it's fine.

People that whine a game is unoptimized bullshit because their mid range GPU gets 40 FPS on Ultra settings piss me off. Pretty clear they grew up on late 7th gen console ports that could run maxed out on any mid range plus PC because consoles were so far behind.
>>
>>386525309
I mean, they're really far behind now too. The only difference is that developers have found new uninsteresting ways to "justify" 800$ GPUs
>>
the only game i'll sacrifice fps drops for is souls games since i originally played them on consoles. everything else needs to be smooth though.
>>
File: 1450161645876.jpg (592KB, 831x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1450161645876.jpg
592KB, 831x1200px
>>386524395
Graphics are accomplishments of builds. Speed is the primary goal, but when you realize you can push your graphics up and keep the speed, then it is like winning a tournament or getting an A on a test you did have to study for. Then add emulators on to that, and it feels like the Delta Force theme plays for you with Chuck Norris giving you a thumbs up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Uu4CRKj1o
>>
why does it matter if you have locked 60 fps or 40 fps in single player, unless the drops are heavy? I'd rather have pretty graphics than sperg out about numbers. Other thing is mp fps cause they have shitty engines and you feel the difference between 100, 200 and 300 fps. I don't play single player fps, so I don't know about that
>>
>>386525548

You have to keep in mind though that most console titles are running on what would be considered "Medium" quality preset on the PC version and targeting 30 FPS.

That's what, double the framerate and significantly more demanding quality settings being considered the bare minimum for most people to agree your port isn't "complete shit".

If I were a developer I would lock any settings past Medium behind a fucking IQ test.
>>
>>386525874
I'm heavily used to the smoothness of 60fps and I can notice them far more than a slight change on lightning or shadows.
>>
>>386525874
Anything below 60 fps is very noticeable on PC due to how quick the mouse moves.

Its less noticeable with a controller because of how smooth and slow the camera/cursor moves.
>>
>>386525745
This post so much, it's how half the fun of modding skyrim is optimizing your mods for your rig
>>
I suspect most games are actually built with the high settings in mind. Closer to release they then add extra stuff which the most current cards can probably handle, it isn't optimised for it and performance takes a big hit but those with current machines and high end gpu's won't notice. I rarely use ultra settings because I don't find the performance sacrifice worth the minor (often barely noticeable) graphical improvements.
>>
I just ordered a 1060 Palit stormx 6gb version
How bady did I fuck up
>>
>>386526956
How much was it?
idk anon 11xx series are not too far away
>>
>>386527120
280 european funbucks, which is close enough to standard prices I suppose. I'll see how it behaves and then decide if I wanna keep it
I can't find anything else at a reasonable price
>>
>>386524395
High always, or medium for more fps, never ultra, never low
>>
>>386527208
That's not bad anon, mid-range gpus are really fucked cause miners on the AMD side and Nvidia being fuckheads cause literally no competition in stock

You'll enjoy it anon don't worry
>>
>>386524395
It depends on the game. On some games, Ultra is just High or Very High with poor optimisation, on some games it does make it noticeably better without creating too much of an performance issue.

Of course, it's better to pick and choose
>>
>>386524395
Depends on the particular graphics option. I'm much more inclined to set draw distance to max rather than AA or shadows because the latter two will probably eat fps without adding much at all. Don't be retard and think about the graphics gain vs performance cost.
>>
>>386527526
Thanks m8
I had to fight myself a lot because I'm a cheap fuck, but there's no point in continuing with my 3-5 year old gpu, and I'm luckily rational enough to realize that the 3gb versions would be a shit purchase despite them being a good chunk cheaper
Now it's time for suffering until friday tho
>>
I really like how much compression there is in the OP picture.

Generally I turn all the graphics options down or off because I can't fucking see anything in modern games.
>>
>>386524395
Just got a badass game pc 3 months ago so High or very high usually.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.