[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we save crowdfunding?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

File: kickstarter-logo-light.png (11KB, 1000x117px) Image search: [Google]
kickstarter-logo-light.png
11KB, 1000x117px
How do we save crowdfunding?
>>
It would require a genocide of modern society im afraid
>>
What have you backed recently? Any hot stuff? Was Shenmue a scam?
>>
Buy not letting video games get crowdfunded. It's a shit stain for other potential kickstarter projects.
>>
File: EXPERT.jpg (131KB, 350x474px) Image search: [Google]
EXPERT.jpg
131KB, 350x474px
>>386471489
Giving money ONLY to projects that:
HAVE A FUCKING PLAYABLE DEMO (and it's good).
A reasonable main goal, and I don't mean a LOW one, but a HIGH one. Projects that seem too cheap, probably are so, which means that devs are only making a market study with the campaign, and will get the real money from publishers, which of course will make decissions in the project, making the main point of crowdfunding (from the backer's point of view at least) moot.
Ethical stretch goals, in other words, things that are not fundamental part of the game, that actually add something meaningful to it, and are too expensive for the main goal. Basically translations and localizations, voice acting, multiplayer/ singleplayer (for games that are focused in singleplayer/ multiplayer respectively), ports, and mechanics TRULY expensive but not fundamental, like character creation for a CRPG where all your choices matter, so changing race, age, gender, origin etc. for your character will have many consequences, and would require to add a shitton of content more for the game.
>>
>>386472540
Counterpoint: Pillars of Eternity had no playable demo and it's my favorite game to come out of Kickstarter. I don't mean that in a "Haha, Kickstarter sucks". I enjoyed tons of Kickstarter games.
>>
File: disabled.png (403KB, 1044x644px) Image search: [Google]
disabled.png
403KB, 1044x644px
>>386472506
>potential kickstarter projects
>>
>>386472540
>Giving money ONLY to projects that:
>HAVE A FUCKING PLAYABLE DEMO
This and only this. It's the same with early access, if the demo is worth the kickstarter cost then you won't be let down much if the project fails to produce anything of worth.

There will be exceptions, games that turn out good enough and had no demo but you are taking a big risk regardless of how accomplished the developers are and how well they seem to have got their shit together.
>>
>>386472676
Tha's not a counterpoint, that's you missing the point.

The question is how to save kickstarter, as in how to be improve the chances you are going to get good games from it.

My way don't imply you are not going to have bad games if you follow it, it just improve the chances you'll get good ones, but in the end a crowdfunding is a bet, you may bet with 99% chances to win and lose, but if you bet more to 1% causes you are going to lose more in the long run.
>>
>>386471489
Keep letting people get burned. They'll learn their lesson eventually.

Also never pay for a game unless you can play it immediately after you purchase it.
>>
>>386473235
The only way you can do that is to just never fund kickstarter games. But that'll just make people turn the jewing up to 11 and offer better backer rewards that are a pittance compared to how much money they want/
>>
File: 1387644560011.png (23KB, 231x231px) Image search: [Google]
1387644560011.png
23KB, 231x231px
>>386473501
>The only way to save kickstarter is to never fund kickstarter games.
Man, you really are dense.
>>
File: ks.jpg (39KB, 453x769px) Image search: [Google]
ks.jpg
39KB, 453x769px
1. only fund devs who have experience

2. they must have a playable build to show off, rarely can they develop a game from scratch just with KS funding

3. If their funding goal seems to low for their game, it's probably to low.

Congrats, you can now support kickstarter without getting burned at every corner
>>
>>386473498
But that's what all investors do.
>>
>>386473591
I never support crowdfunding. I support good publishers that dont enforce too much business on the creative job that is making video games. I want someone who can fund a dev, keep tabs on them, but just not too much so they can have some leniency in what they make.
>>
File: aaay lmao.jpg (124KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
aaay lmao.jpg
124KB, 900x506px
>>386473649
>1. only fund devs who have experience
top kek. have you truly forgotten all the burned bridges from said experienced devs have done across kickstarter?
>>
>>386473683
Except investors sign contracts. Crowdfunding is just donations with a barely enforceable agreement to provide a product eventually.
>>
>>386473834
True, but in the case of stuff like MN09 and Friday the 13th that doesn't mean it will be good.
>>
>>386473932
Hell, you could have the biggest budget ever and there's still no guarantee it'll be good. That's why you're ever so fortunate to be on the consumer end and not the investment end so you can not waste your money on bad games.
>>
>>386474197
But many games won't ever be made if it wasn't for KickStarter.
>>
>>386474289
A lot of games were never made because of kickstarter.
>>
>>386471489
donators will be given daily reports
>>
>>386474289
And many other games won't ever be made...just because. Throw your money away all you want, just don't complain when you don't get something in return.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.