[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yooka-Laylee

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: Yooka-Laylee_cover_art.jpg (26KB, 250x287px) Image search: [Google]
Yooka-Laylee_cover_art.jpg
26KB, 250x287px
What are your thoughts on this game?
How does it compare to other 3D Platformers overall?
And how do you think they should change things around for the sequel?
>>
>>386470350
It's fucking shit.
>>
>>386470540
Now, that's some constructive criticism.
>>
>>386470618
It's kind of shit.
>>
>>386470350
Just play the Crash remake instead
>>
>>386470350
It's the shittiest shit that was ever shitten
>>
>>386470826
Crash is the weakest of the entire 3D platformer genre.
It's like a B- game compared to A+ efforts of Super Mario 64 and two N64 Banjo games.
>>
>>386470350
The worlds are too big and don't have that much thing to do in it. Also the gameplay was not "tight" enough, not sure on how to say that. Also, I know it was the whole point of the kickstarter but it was too much of a nostalgia trip.

I didn't hate the game but couldn't really invest myself in it either. Also even the tracklist doesn't sound like the best of what could do Kirkhope.
>>
>>386471075
Not him but you can't honestly say that when 3D Sonic exists, which are most of them are either glitchy or really unpolished.
>>
jontron did nothing wrong
(You) are going to reply
>>
>>386471496
I forgot about those.
I don't really consider them 3D platformers in the way I've come to define them.
Even so, what I say about Crash being a above-average game stands.
>>
>>386470350
It's a game made by numales for numales.
>>
How is it with all the updates?
>>
>>386470350
The only way to play the game without wanting to strangle yourself is to collect the bare minimum in each world to unlock the next world and the moves in it. Only once you've collected every move can you go back and complete the entire game without it going "no, fuck you, come back later. Fuck you for actually using our 'expand the world' mechanic". Unfortunately, having all the moves (particularly flight) then breaks the game wide open requiring some self-restraint on the part of the player.

Cut the expansion gimmick, instead just make two smaller worlds that share assets. One of them can be completed entirely with moves only from that world plus all previous worlds, the other can require moves from all worlds. The first half of the game can then be completed in a linear fashion (possibly skipping part of it) while the latter half can be entirely nonlinear.
>>
This came out?
>>
>>386470350
I played for an hour and refunded it, it just feels like a game that should have come out 20 years ago

Maybe this genre has gotten stale or maybe the game is just boring, I couldn't tell
>>
>>386472204
They fixed some things, but they also added sign posts over Hivory Towers making it easier for casuals to not get lost in a tower that is very straightforward.
>>
File: DBqyVm9UwAEzdd4.jpg (277KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DBqyVm9UwAEzdd4.jpg
277KB, 1920x1080px
>>386470350
Wasn't perfect, but I liked it okay. Had a few problems.
>>
>>386470350

Better than DK64, not as good as BK or BT

having only 5 levels that you have to back track to 3 times each, instead of 15, hell even 10 levels was a horrible choice.
>>
File: 1499972919776.gif (882KB, 160x99px) Image search: [Google]
1499972919776.gif
882KB, 160x99px
They promised a new Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, that plays like a Banjo Kazooie/Tooie. With all of the games' strenghts,

but also all of their weaknesses.

A few hundred thousand people with nostalgia goggles forgot those weaknesses and would rather go the "All modern games suck! xD" route and forgetting all the quality of life improvements we got over the years, especially with 3D Platformers.

They delivered on their promise, and the backers were outraged...
>>
>>386473689
>forgetting all the quality of life improvements we got over the years
outside of graphics, games have only gone downhill.
You can even argue graphics have gone downhill from the perspective of a PC gamer.
>>
>>386473689
>They delivered on their promise
They promised a good game or at least that's implied. Not only did they fail to meet that, they failed to make a good game as good as Banjo.
>>
>>386470350

Boring as fuck and the writing isn't even as good as BK.
>>
>>386473869
>you can argue video games have gone downhill on every single aspect
Damn you have to really hate video games a lot. What was the last game you enjoyed? And, most important, how old were you when you enjoyed it?
>>
>>386474124
>as good as Banjo
I think they got very close to delivering a similar experience to Banjo.

The problem isn't that the Banjos aren't good games, but rather that, if they would've released today, wouldn't be that great or didn't aged very well in terms of pacing, especially Tooie
>>
File: 1398018789569.jpg (237KB, 1920x1880px) Image search: [Google]
1398018789569.jpg
237KB, 1920x1880px
>>386470350
WHERE THE FUCK IS THE SWITCH VERSION
>>
Console patch when?

PC already got it and Switch version will release with them already updated

I'm holding off on buying it on my PS4 until the patches come and fixes it
>>
Lots of baffling, poor design decisions really bogged the game down. They still haven't released the patch for consoles as far as I can tell - it's something like over a month late at this point.

I didn't have the highest of hopes, but I had to force myself to finish it. Was pretty disappointed.
>>
>>386474993
Yooka Laylee runs on Unity.
While Unity is a great, powerful engine, and very efficient on PCs, Tablets and Phones, it has very severe performance problems with the PS4 and XB1.

Even lots of optimization from the developers can't really fix the deep complex problems within the Unity engine. Expect slightly better performance with a few patches tho, but it's overall performance won't get a lot better anytime soon
>>
File: kev bayliss.png (83KB, 282x300px) Image search: [Google]
kev bayliss.png
83KB, 282x300px
What went right with pic related
>>
>>386476015

I'm aware

But better to play with it patched regardless
>>
>>386473689
>>386474434

Lots of people seem to think this way that it shares its flaws with outdated games such as BK, BT and SM64 for better and for worse.

Personally, I played through BT for the first time just this year and I had a great time from beginning to end. I never found the flaws of any of these games to be significant enough to detract from the experience. Guess I just love 3D platformers.

Would I love YL given that I loved BT in 2017? I'm considering buying it for Switch
>>
>>386474263
Besides Yooka-laylee?
Dying Light, DOOM, Titanfall 2.
These games are recent games, but they are not representative of the games we get today as a whole.
>>
>>386470350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYFJUeQIpTk
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.