[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here ever taken a break from video games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: 1494451402547.jpg (40KB, 720x592px) Image search: [Google]
1494451402547.jpg
40KB, 720x592px
And, I don't mean like taking a week off, either.

I remember I went from gaming hardcore, every day and night from like 2001-2011, and then I took a cold turkey break from 2011-2016.

I just got back into it, and feel so lost.
>>
Welcome back
>>
I do. If I don't have anything fresh to play and there's nothing coming out that completely blows me away I'll do something else. I won't try to find something to play just to kill time.

Right now I'm looking forward to Monster Hunter World, whatever From Software announces next, Death Stranding, and a few others.

I was passing the time by playing some Gwent but the meta is so stale right now I'm just going to hold off and probably get some reading done while I wait for something to catch my eye.

People on this board should probably do the same rather than come here and bitch endlessly.
>>
>>386464407

No. Even at my worst I come back once a week on weekends. Or during a break I'll play and eat.
>>
>>386464407
2009 to 2010 because got a gf. Realized it's overrated and came back to videogames
>>
No, but I've recently dropped dark souls; I used to play it all the time but now I'm tired of it, too boring.
>>
>>386464407
It's not so surprising if all you've played was LoL and CoD and similar games.
>>
>>386465450
WoW 'til WoTLK, a lot of CS:Source, GTA 4, Skate 2, never did LoL or CoD, unless it was World at War zombies at my friends place.
>>
Yep. especially the past 3 years I've lost a lot of interest. Currently play like 2 hours a week if that. I just lose interest, between work, kids, gym etc. It's probably just me but I really feel like games aren't as good or have the same draw as they use to. Or it's just a change in my life preference, and what I seem to think is a better use of my time. I dunno.
>>
>>386464407

You quit at the right time. You came back at the worst time. Leave another 5 years, trust me.
>>
>>386466138
Honestly that's kind of what I'm noticing.. All this meta, e-sports, and streamer shit is really putting me off from wanting to game.
>>
I mostly just play older games every now and then and just recently started playing current gen games. I'm disappointed.
>>
>>386464407

Yeah, when I was 16 or so I sold all my vidya stuff because I was bored with it. I didn't get back into it until I was 20 or so.
>>
>>386466282
play different games and genres. based on >>386465935, I hear FF14 is really good and GTA5 is apparently great. Look up top 10 lists for games and look at trailers for some of them and see if anything interests you. But a lot fo your taste in games generally aligns with big budget productions like streamers and e-sports. You missed the big indie boom, so a lot of the truly great indies are buried under a mountain of mediocrity.
>>
>>386467001
Already did GTA 5, singleplayer sucked, and multiplayer was just whoever's mommy had a bigger credit card.

I don't think I'll do another MMO after WoW, and Final Fantasy has been shit since after FFX, so I'm boycotting that series.

I don't know anything about 'indie games' but it doesn't sound like it's up my alley if it's just side scrolling 2-d games with gimmicks.
>>
>>386467271
Indoe just means no big publisher funding it (activision, EA, Square Enix, Bandai Namco). a lot of it is 2D sidescrollers with gimmicks, and thats what i was referring to with the "mountian of mediocrity" bit. They usually go for art style over impressive realistic visuals so they may look a bit off-putting. Shovel Knight is a great recent game, but it is a sidescroller so you may not like it. Bastion is a 3D ARPG with a great acoustic trip-hop soundtrack. There are great indies out there, it just required effort to look for it.

I am serious about trying new genres. You may find a really cool thing you never knew of before. Nier Automate is a great game that released this year. the Doom reboot last year was amazing, defying all expectations that it would be shit. Yakuza 0 is a GTA like same set in japan, but melee combat instead of guns and no large city but rather a small but incredibly dense city street of 1980's japan.
>>
>>386467846
I already checked out Doom and it was shit, I think we're just on different wave lengths.

Doom 3 is great from my perspective.
>>
>>386466282
I just recently got back into it too, and I've been increasingly feeling similar. However I think the perception is slightly off. If you take recent game releases in isolation, there's actually been some really brilliant releases in the last few years among all the shit.

I think that the destruction of certain once great genres, the pervasiveness of publishers pushing e-sports and marketing and stupid shit into everything, and the constant diluting of creativity is worse than it's ever been. But single player games have rarely been through a better era, mainstream Japanese studios are regularly releasing on PC for the first time ever, and there's been a building resurgence of genuinely good revivals of older game series.
>>
I have not once dropped videogames for more than four days since I was six years old
>>
>>386464407
Nope.
>>
>>386468121
We quite possibly do have different tastes. a lot of what you like is referred to as "normie shit" in this board, because its the popular stuff with a lot of marketing and budget behind its creation. In order to maximize most of that, publishers looked to steraming and e-sports to make more money. If you dont like that stuff, you may not like a lot of games in those styles now.
>>
>>386466282
>meta, e-sports, and streamer shit
None of that could and would possibly affect you unless you want to get into.
>>
>>386464407
Several times. I'm still more or less on a break from them, though I do occasionally emulate a favorite or older games I missed.

I still appreciate video games, but as time goes on I find it more rewarding to sink my energy into other interests.
>>
>>386468662
I'm not into it at all, and it's everywhere, so I don't know where you get that idea.
>>
>>386469513
I think he means that you can ignore that culture and it wont affect the single player experience, or even multi player experience. Don't look for it and it cant ruin the game for you
>>
>>386468662
They do in some ways. Look at what Relic did to the beloved CoH and DoW games to chase e-sports interests. Anet turned Guild Wars into e-sports shit. Shadow of War has microtransactions that seem to be streamer bait. Theres a constant threat by publishers to take your favorite genres and turn them into crafting survival multiplayer shooter twitch shit.
>>
>>386469513
I'm saying that unless you want to do that stuff it won't have an effect on single player or even multiplayer.
>>
I go through phases, I'll play for along period of time and finish a few games and get burned out and won't touch any game for a year. I always come back though
>>
File: moe.png (227KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
moe.png
227KB, 540x540px
I usually play every single day for about a year, exhaust everything interesting there is to play, and after that don't even bother opening Steam or booting up the Playstation for 4-6 months.

This cycle has gone on for about 10 years now.
>>
I took a two month long break this year, May to July. That's the longest time I've ever took desu. Didn't really miss vidya during it either, I only came back because I'm a NEET now that college is done.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.