[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come no one gives a shit anymore? How could it be forgotten

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: yooka-laylee.jpg (232KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
yooka-laylee.jpg
232KB, 1500x1000px
How come no one gives a shit anymore?

How could it be forgotten so quickly
>>
Because it's a mediocre as fuck game
>>
>>386451426
THE PAGIES
>>
>>386451426
That's what happens when you try to make a "new" game as the nostalgic successor to an old one. The problem with yooka-laylee is that it's TOO much like the old banjo kazooie/ generic 3D plat former games in that not only did yooka-laylee bring back the "best" parts of the old 3D play games it also brought back the very worst parts. People were so blinded by nostalgia that they forgot that over the years their taste in videogames had changed and when they go play YL they only then realize "you know I don't really like platformers anymore" or "now that I think about it banjo kazooie wasn't THAT good". The fact that YL failed to bring anything new to the table and just reused most or all of the old banjo concepts also hurt its quality.
>>
>>386451491
This.
It wasn't anything exceptional and failed to stand on its own merits.
Plus the JonTron Drama killed any positive PR thanks to Political Shitflinging.
>>
>>386451426
Because some people have better things to do than be outraged by video games. Get your priorities in order.
>>
>>386452727
I'd say the jontron thing had little to do with the games failure because A. It made sense to distance yourself from anything controversial B. Jontron said it was cool and he understood C. People would still by the game anyway, Jon torn fans would have to be retarded if they wanted to by the game just to hear him speak gibberish on 1 character in 1 level
>>
File: C3N8H-2WAAAogx2.jpg (54KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
C3N8H-2WAAAogx2.jpg
54KB, 800x800px
it takes all the bad things from kazooie and doesn't add anything good

it's easy to expect since all the """original Rare devs"""" left in playtonic are artists, musicians and programmers, so the actual game design was up to literal whos trying to rip off banjo and miserably failing
>>
>>386451491
>>386452727
/thread
>>
>>386453158
Bet you didn't even play it. Just watched a video with your favorite eceleb and just parrot his opinion.
>>
This is the only game in recent years that I actually didn't finish because I hated it so much.

I've hated games, but still finished them. But this game was just so fucking disappointing for me to play that I didn't complete it. The level design was unforgivable, the camera was annoying, the controls were slippery. The only redeeming thing about it was Trowzer, and I can't forgive a game for one character. It's a video game.
>>
Because its a shit amateur quality game made in Unity. All of these pseudo analyses about whether consumers wanted an N64 style revival or not are retarded because YL was a shit game which was defended by anons who were deep in the sunk cost phallacy.

If Nintendo was directing a project like this it would have been a different story.
>>
>>386453246
if you have nothing more than baseless assumptions please don't bother posting at all, I pirated that shit day one
>>
>>386453246
That's exactly what the issue was though. It took the good parts AND the bad parts of the old bk games and didn't add anything new. So when people started playing they were like "man I forgot how much I hated x or y in the old games"
>>
File: bt-sns2-screen[1].jpg (155KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bt-sns2-screen[1].jpg
155KB, 1280x720px
what did they mean by this
>>
>>386453131
It never was about Jontron, nobody cares about him. It was the political message they made by distancing themselves from him, or rather his views and anyone who shares his views.
>>
>>386453508
Boston Legal says it best "Never make it political, the second you make it political 50% of people are against you"
>>
>>386453508
>They distanced themselves from a guy who made comments that even he thought were stupid
Oh no
>>
>>386453748
thnx i now rly wont play it
>>
I'm waiting for the latest patch after it was promised for consoles months ago.
>>
>>386453882
>Oh no our game flopped now
ftfy

I was going to buy it even though I could tell it looked kind of shitty, just to support muh 3D collectathons, since I really liked DK64. I have bought shittier games out of curiosity. I didn't give them any money after the JonTron thing, and I even sent them an email laughing at how their game was going to fail.
>>
I haven't played YL, but I played BK the other day
>Levels are a nice size, and there's a bunch of things going on with many things to do around each of the checkpoints, encouraging exploring
>Each world has its own theme, with characters in that world based around said theme, the only time you see characters outside of their world are when they directly effect events in others and can reasonably fit in them, like Gobi for watering the flower in Click Clock Wood, or Snacker in Rusty Bucket Bay
>Each thing you do or collect directly corresponds to your progress; You collect notes to open more doors to find more levels, you collect Jinjos to collect jiggies so you can unlock those levels
>Everything just feels very tightly knit and well made
>>
I was going to buy the tame but the JT thing distracted me, and by the end of development it didn't look too great anyways.

This coming from someone that owns Rayman Legends, Crash Trilogy and Ratchet in his PS4 collection, so it's not like I didn't put thought into this.
>>
>>386451426

I'm pretty sure the most hyped people for this game are those who enjoyed BK and on N64 and most of them probably have a Switch by now and are still waiting for the fucking game
>>
>>386453421

What is this? Is this from the Xbox ports?
>>
>>386456602
This

>>386456748
Yes, Banjo-Tooie to be specific
>>
>>386451426
i bought it for my bf, he likes it although he says the camera is too sensitive, also he mentions the levels are ridiculously big
>>
>>386453882
>Bringing attention to it instead of just quietly removing his voice
>>
>>386456874
>>instead of just quietly removing his voice
That's literally what they did.
>>
File: 1501599660696.jpg (25KB, 492x449px) Image search: [Google]
1501599660696.jpg
25KB, 492x449px
>Bought the physical edition
>The "art book" is literally 3 pages of art printed in the back of the manual

Fucking pathetic. Kickstarter shit had one chance with me and they fucking blew it, never "donating" to anything again.
>>
>>386456914
Making a statement on it is hardly quiet
>>
It's a singleplayer game.
>>
>>386456874

That would even cause a bigger backslash

Imagine Johntron fans raging and demanding refunds after finding out his voice wasn't in the game after they had been told so.
>>
>>386453131
While it wasn't hugely influential, I think it did more than a little, just having jontron associated with the game made liberals shit on it much harder than they would have, and then making a public statement regarding the issue put a sour taste in the mouths of right-leaning people.
>>
they were trying to appeal to the 'cool kids' liberal journalists on the internet, I'm elated when that shit backfires
>>
>>386457080
If it were advertised on that point sure, but given both that and its general failure, people would have more than likely attributed it to a forgotten voice file like 60% of the unused lines in MGSV
>>
>>386454349
>I even sent them an email laughing at how their game was going to fail.

How brave of (you)!
>>
>>386457696

Yeah, but it's not "just" a voice file, it's the files from that one e-celeb that tweeted to all his followers he had a voice in Yooka Laylee.

If they just casually left it out everyone would be screaming NO MANS SKY 2, JUST MORE BROKEN PROMISES!!! Then they would have to give a statement afterwards, telling them it was due to Johntron getting bluepilled and it wouldve been an even bigger disaster.
>>
File: Mon_Aug_17_20-32-59_EDT_2015.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Mon_Aug_17_20-32-59_EDT_2015.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>386454381
ah, I love Banjo Kazooie, I never tire of playing it, definitely one of the most polished platformers out there. I like it better than Tooie
>>
>>386451426
The game was absolutely mediocre to the point where it was shit, and also they decided at the last minute to get political by removing jontron, who is still well-loved even after the debate
>>
I may be the minority here, but I still had fun with Yooka Laylee.
I'm still looking forward to whatever the DLC they have planned is.
>>
>>386458468
you'd think it'd be funnier to leave Jon's voice in, especially since all he did was voice some character taking a huge shit in the porta potty.
>>
>>386458592
Me, too. It was a fun game.
>>
>How could a shitty 3D platformer with animal mascot be forgotten so quickly?

Because it's a shitty 3D platformer with animal mascot.
>>
>>386458598
no it wouldn't and 99% of people wouldn't have cared or even known, but playtronic MADE people care and know, so now the failure of the game itself is compounded by the failure of PR
>>
>>386451426
I just can't believe it's not even out for the Switch yet. If they decide to release it when Super Mario Odyssey comes out, it's not going to sell well.
>>
>>386458997
I remember when Sonic twitter got heat for their attack helicopter joke, but instead of making a big statement or apologizing or whatever, they just sort of acknowledged the outcry and moved on. If only they could have done something like that.
>>
One guy made a game just as good as Yooka-Laylee and released it for free half of a year before Yooka-Laylee was released

https://youtu.be/7A-1q_x6tyo
>>
A LIZARD AMD A BAT
WHAT'S
UP
WITH
THAT?
>>
File: BK washing machine.png (1MB, 1138x640px) Image search: [Google]
BK washing machine.png
1MB, 1138x640px
>>386458387
>Under 4 hours
I need to get on your level
Then again, I just enjoy playing it at my own pace.
>>
>>386459385
Which says a lot given how fucking awful Dreamie is.
>>
>>386458054
>Then they would have to give a statement afterwards, telling them it was due to Johntron getting bluepilled
But there in lies the question, why not just stop at "we decided against using his voice" if they were to make a statement? Yeah some people would infer why but you're guaranteed disaster on taking a hard stance
>>
>>386459385
I really like the Ayy LMAO sub theme of the ice world. Way more interesing than yooka's Frozen rip off ice world.
>>
>>386451491
>>386452727
How is the game bad? I think it's quite good.
>>
>>386459582
I don't even speed run, I just played BK too much and do events in a certain way.
>>
>>386457914
He never did it to be brave, he did it to voice his opinion.
>>
>>386451426
I'm still waiting for the switch version.
I downloaded it on PC and it's pretty cool but I want it on the go.
>>
>>386451426
it was kinda bad.
because it was a newly formed company, i don't think there was quality control nor a person in charge to turn down bad ideas or say parts suck.
its basically the result of old friends getting together and creating a game without having to worry about anything.
>>
File: Rextro_Sixtyfourus.png (188KB, 401x331px) Image search: [Google]
Rextro_Sixtyfourus.png
188KB, 401x331px
Do friends want to play my arcade games?
>>
>>386462106
What the fuck were they thinking when they made you do it twice. Once I could understand because, fuck, they already programmed the games and it'd be a shame to not use them but they must actually think these are good if they want you to play it twice.
>>
>>386453421
>>386456748
>>386456797
Implied Stop N' Swap connection to a real Banjo Threeie that was hinted at the end of Nuts and Bolts. It all exists in the Xbox One releases too, but never expect a real Banjo 3 from Rare lmao
>>
>>386462412
Banjo-Tooie had more than one prize for its mini-games, but it'd give all of them to you at the same time if you did good enough the first time around. They should patch that in in YL.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.