[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

this game. this FUCKING GAME. since the first day I played it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 376
Thread images: 49

File: Ffixbox[1].jpg (54KB, 256x245px) Image search: [Google]
Ffixbox[1].jpg
54KB, 256x245px
this game. this FUCKING GAME. since the first day I played it on its release date I've played it, thoroughly enjoyed it, leveled up, gotten to disk 4 and then... lost interest and quit.

... 3 OR 4 TIMES.

please tell me I'm not the only one who loves this game only to fall into the pit of 'meh" at the end?
>>
That's the general consensus. It's my favorite of the main FF games but it does fall to shit towards the end.
>>
>>386430489
if no one else responds to this thread, this will satisfy my curiosity
>>
Nah, it's a brilliant game all around.

The ending is great.
>>
it starts out with a really cool medieval steam punk aesthetic and than the story just got really wonky and convoluted, for me it dies in that desert zone where you meet the red haired guy
>>
>>386430446
It for sure peters out towards the end of the game but I still love it. I think it's worth trying to get to the end at least once
>>
i love it all, 10/10 game
one of my favourite games in my early teens
>>
Game is pretty great. I've beaten it a couple times I like it so much. Did you get to the part where Zidane finds the truth of his origins?
>>
really fun game, ive done the same thing.

Admittedly only beaten it once. Other 3 or 4 times ive gotten to memoria 4th disc and didnt bother finishing.
>>
>>386430446
PS1 FFs are weird that way.

>FF7
Midgard feels like an entirely different game in many ways before it turns into a more typical JRPG.

>FF8
Entire disk 1 is probably the strongest early part in the entire franchise. Arguably downhill from there.

>FF9
Disk 3 is probably the highlight when story revs up and you stop just being carried by events out of your control.
>>
>>386430446
Eh, yeah I think the whole games pretty interesting myself but after you get the invincible it kinda gets weird. The final boss never made sense either. in my eyes it was so unfitting, Kuja shoulda been the final boss, he was built up that way. Then all of a sudden "HI IM HUGE EVIL GIANT BEAT ME UP".
>>
>>386430446
What's on disc 4 even? Isn't it mostly just post-game? You can just go straight for the final dungeon (which is super cool) can't you?
>>
>>386430446
I don't know about you guys, but the ending itself was really good to me, not final boss, but the ending ending.
When I first played it I couldn't stop from start to finish.
Now I do stop at the forth disc. The beginning was very strong. Mainly it's because 4th disc feels like many other RPgs and you get tired of the similar build up you've seen a thousand times before.
The thing is if you've played modern games before this you wouldnt want to finish. When it first came out everyone finished these games. Now people have RPG exhaustion, seen it before or at least the formula and I don't feel like finishing it.
>>
>>386431583
yes you can, there is also plenty of content like secret bosses and secret areas.
>>
>>386431728
>I don't know about you guys, but the ending itself was really good to me, not final boss, but the ending ending
Yeah the actual like ending cutcenes/story is good, it's just the stuff leading up to it can kinda feel meh compared to the amazing rest of the game. Like I think disc 1/2 are really fucking good and then it looses steam in disc 3
>>
>>386431469
I can agree even though his concept is more complicated than that. There was really no indication such a creature exists.
Big giant guy wad just the end of all things including the concept of death. He was the 3rd side to what would be considered two sided coin of life and death. His arrival however and his creation made little sense other than the developers wanted a final form or final bad guy sephiroth style.
>>
>>386430446
iirc disk 4 is super short. power through
>>
>>386431371
ff8 is the strongest in the whole franchise FIGHT ME

SEED LYFE
>>
>>386431469
And Kuja is still considered the main villain in the game itself and the spinoffs. Necron is just the final boss.
>>386431938
It's literally just a personification of death. Which is not as surprising, if you notice how much the game touches upon the subject throughout the story.
Surely Necron is not the most charismatic creature, but all things considered it makes sense you fight it in the end.
>>
>>386431918
I think it was due to maybe nothing left to explore. I mean if you look at Memoria nearly all of it was one path. Also I really think it's because players were so caught up in the begining of the game that they didn't want the story to end. Maybe if they did what FF 4 did with the final dungeon was find bad guys with rewards of powerful weapons instead of just hades selling you shit, it would have people wanting to go all the way in. But since you can do everything outside of memoria, there is no other insentive but to beat the game.
>>
File: 1413143064883.png (10KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1413143064883.png
10KB, 500x500px
>>386431371
Disk 2 is good as well.
>>
>>386430446
I swear I beat this game but I can't actually remember much past maybe the first and second disk, all I remember about the late game is by that point thinking the story took a huge nose dive in quality.
>>
>>386432082
>It's literally just a personification of death. Which is not as surprising, if you notice how much the game touches upon the subject throughout the story.
>Surely Necron is not the most charismatic creature, but all things considered it makes sense you fight it in the end.

Then that should have been Hades.
But no, they use Necron. When the crystal was destroyed souls couldn't go through the crystal and be reborn thus there can never be a life and death cycle. Necron was the end of that cycle, remember Kuja doesn't really die, he has no soul, so he could never die but fade from existence, or so he thought and wanted the same for all of existence. Hence him calling Necron the embodiment of that erasure.
The whole polar side of nonexistence was memories. The whole memories of life thing. Kuja was unaware of that.
>>
>>386432082
>it makes sense to fight death itself at the end of the game
No, it doesn't. On a psychological level it'd make sense for Yitan to fight it conceptually much like Cloud has noe last struggle with Sephiroth at the end of FF VII, but making it into an actual boss that appears and fights them doesn't really work, as other character's personal struggles are vastly different, and this is a key point in the game's themes.
>>
>>386432421
I'm pretty sure genoms do have souls, they're just placeholders until the terran original populace was supposed to awaken. Garland tried to force Zidane's soul out of his body.
>>
>>386432648
The Genomes were souless except Mitoko and Zidane. Kuja had no soul, hence why he absorbed other souls in Terra to go trance.
>>
>>386432759
>>386432648
Also Kuja wasn't made from a child to adult, he started out as an adult. Kuja hated the idea that he was similar to the black mages. In the end though it is possible to say that Genomes grew to have souls like the Black Mages eventually did.
>>
>>386432759
>he absorbed other souls in Terra to go trance
Huh? Where are you getting that from?
I don't think anything of the sort was even implied in the game.
Even if the regular genomes didn't have souls (although I'm pretty sure they did, if underdeveloped dummy souls), both of the angels of death clearly had souls. His soul is the very source of Kuja's ruinous ambition and emotions.
>>
My favorite ff title and ive played through it upwards of 15 times by now
It does have some faults though and how much it jammed in and rushes you by in the last part of disc 3 and little bit on 4 is one of them
Otherwise beyond the final boss and amarants entire story being summed up in like 2 or 3 optional ate's its perfect for me
>>
>>386432919
It was in Terra when you fight him before his trances state. He wanted to gain the power of Trance but couldn't do it because he didn't have a soul. Garland tells him that and that his time was running out.
>>
>>386432919
He states he absorbed brahnes soul i thought to go into trance
>>
The plot meanders for a good bit when Kuja is the only villain around in Disc 3. Always hate that part of the game
>>
>>386433024
>>386433051
>He states he absorbed brahnes soul
It's been quite some time since I played the game last time, but I'm calling bullshit. I'd remember something as significant as this.
>>
>>386433161
You're an idiot. He clearly says it after you beat Garland
>>
>>386433202
Don't call me an idiot, idiot.
>>
>>386433161
He mentions he absorbed the souls in the invincible and that brahne was among them
>>
>>386433253
You are an idiot.
>>
>>386433161
Well you will have to check it out yourself again at the near end of disc 3.
Remember the souls that died on Gaia are being interrupted by the Iifa tree, so it could be weakened for Terra to absorb Gaia.
>>
>>386432421
Hades is afterlife. Necron is death.
>>
>>386433679
Hadese has always been synonymous with death, land of the dead, lord of the dead. Not just the after life. Now I can understand people would mix Hades with satan, but everyone who died in Greek Myth went to hades. He is death, not like the Christian death but the greek death.
Necron in name also means dead but the fact hades is in the game too Necron is the death of everything including the conception of death. Kinda like Norse Ragnarok, the end of everything.
>>
>>386430446
To me it's just depressing seeing Gaia covered in mist plus you could miss a ton of sidequests after coming back from Terra.

Disk 4 is very short so it's definitely worth finishing
>>
>>386433910
Well hades was meant to be the final boss at one point but they changed it
But necron is less death and more void/nothingness since he was there to effectively to delete existence
>>
>>386434107
That's what I mean, Necron was the creation of the universal crystal that kuja shattered in hatred of death. Necron is the opposite of that crystal which was creation and memories.
>>
>>386434107
>>386434340
so in short Necron was just a shitty version of Exdeath.
>>
>>386430446

Makes sense to me. You like FFIX and I do not. I only start loving IX, when it stops being IX towards the end. Personally I think it has at the very least top three ending in video games.
>>
>>386434671
Well it wasnt the first thing in the gane to be a face value nod to older titles
He even shares ex deaths grand cross spell to
>>
>>386434671
Exdeath is just a tree.
>>
>>386434807
a tree....of the void
>>
File: 1443845679216.jpg (107KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1443845679216.jpg
107KB, 800x600px
>>386434671

You mean Cloud of Darkness.
>>
>>386430446
Final Fantasy 9 frames per second
>>
>>386430446
First two disks are great. Then you understand that Sakaguchi can't write for shit.
>>
>>386430446

I feel you.

It's the only FF game ever made that I haven't beaten simply because I don't give a rats shit about any of the characters, don't give a shit about their world, find the fighting dull and it never opens the map up so you can freely fuck around.

I get to about when all the airship fleets are converging to.....do something....then I never play it for 10 years.

Fuck this dull piece of shit and fuck what they did to the card game.

Every game prior got a little more interesting, a little more sci-fi, a little more adult.

THEN THIS FUCKING THING.

FUCK THIS GAME FUCK EVERYONE WHO ENJOYS IT.
>>
>>386434850
why not both?
>>
>>386434880
>find the fighting dull and it never opens the map up so you can freely fuck around.
well that's wrong
>>
>>386434880
9 has the best world/setting since 5 and it opens up completely halfwayish into disk 3 after opwmening up halfway in disc2 with the boat
>>
>>386434880
>and it never opens the map up so you can freely fuck around.
You what?
>>
>>386432172

I love the way Squall snatches the paper out of Rinoa's hand in their little base train. It might be autism but it's probably my favorite little piece of animation probably in all of vidya
>>
>>386434880
>I don't give a rats shit about any of the characters, don't give a shit about their world
>Every game prior got a little more interesting, a little more sci-fi, a little more adult.
Well aren't you just an immense faggot
>>
>>386430446
Not the only one. I love the first two discs of FFIX. I've literally never finished the game. Last discs are so boring. I don't know what happened.
>>
File: exdeath_by_gold_copper-d4txpcm.jpg (162KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
exdeath_by_gold_copper-d4txpcm.jpg
162KB, 900x636px
>>386434889

Exdeath was trying to control the Void, while Cloud of Darkness and Necron are the Void.
>>
>>386435323
oh my bad, I thought he was of the void as well
>>
>>386435409
Ex death was a tree people sealed too much evil into
Then it got up and decided to fuck shit up on account of it being 100% evil and all
>>
>>386431068
The end is the redpill do not cower in the face of death
>>
>>386430446
Same OP.
Till I found a hard mode patch by Landon Ray, that was the first time i ever beat this gorgeous and tragically boring game.
>>
Played and finished it many times

Great ending.
>>
>>386430446
Why won't you beat the last dungeon? What are you, chicken?
>chicken noises.mp3
>>
I don't know about Op
but I know the main reason why many people didnt like this game was because of the character design.
Other problems like card game and slow game play came 2nd. I'm glad that people at least played it. It's my favorite but you know I hated 13 and 8 and to a lesser extent 10.
>>
Im the opposite. Farthest ive made is the auction house city. Cant be arsed to play it. When does this damn game stop seperating my party members
>>
boring
uninnovative
hit the wall of meh disc 1
had everything i expect from a final fantasy game but none of the charm or excitement.
>>
>>386436276
The party gets made whole at the beginning of disc 3.
>>
>>386436237
>but I know the main reason why many people didnt like this game was because of the character design.
Really? The character design is fantastic
>>
>>386436353
So ive gotta deal with that till disc 3? Pissed me off majorly how it kept taking away my healer. Other than that i suppose the game was okay so far. One of these days im gonna slog through it.
>>
>>386436276
it really makes you level up your party members instead of leaving them in your airship never to be used again.
>>
>>386436472
I havent even gotten to the airship. I dont mind grinding, but i cant live without a healer. And the game takes garnet away from me at every oppurtunity. Beatrice is pretty awesome tho
>>
>>386436531
>but i cant live without a healer
IX is fucking easy though, what are you doing wrong
>>
>>386436353
Which is when it stops being good! Really, a bit like FF4's rotating cast, party switchups are the only way to extend basic JRPG gameplay over a long period. Otherwise you just find a setup that works and roll through everything.

Disk 3 is just badly plotted and with too few features in the remaining overworld. The good shit is being gently railroaded
>>
>>386436531
well Quina is a blue mage, so you have to use him/her eating ability and get white wind or give rat girl a trident that teaches dragon heals.
>>
>>386436571
Easy or not doesnt matter. Just the way i am. ANY game i play i make sure i have a way to heal, if i dont, i dont enjoy it. I still dont know why. The only other issue i have is stealing from bosses gets boring asf
>>
>>386436571
I think he means he doesn't like grinding with out a healer.
>>
>>386436613
>too few features in the remaining overworld
I disagree. That's when everything opens up to you and you can explore the world properly.
>>
>>386436651
well load up on items, stealing gil gives you a chance to bulk up on items
>>
>>386436661
This also. Makes things a lot easier, less trips to town. But i gotta have a dedicated healer.
>>
>>386436531
The game is balanced around not always having a healer though. I reckon it gives them more flex on the boss fights when you aren't just spamming the highest level cure across the whole party an forces you to make tough decisions about who stays on standby to throw potions
>>
>>386436708
Well desu i didnt really do that. I suppose i can try that next time around, prolly get to it after i finish my current game.
>>
>>386436461
Garnet re-joins Zidane and co. before disc 3, and then you're off to aquire a second healer (Eiko).
>>
>>386436803
How long is the gap from when you split at lindenberg or whatever its called, with cid? Cause thats the main one im talking about.
>>
>>386436707
I was super hyped for this. But the whole third continent is a waste with two dungeons and a [fucking great] town. You just don't unlock that much and the world is smaller than expected. I mean, I get that it would drain momentum if there were a bunch of non-urgent things to do, but I would have loved some more actual features/lore for that huge area
>>
Sounds crazy to me, iirc the last disc is basically just the final dungeon, and the first thing you get is the hype as fuck white dragon scene. Nowhere itself is interesting with its most off putting segment being the surprise final boss.

You don't just wuit at disc 4 out of boredom. If you didn't like the direction the plot was going in outside of the final boss then discs 2 or 3 would have tipped you off.
>>
>>386436886
You split at Lindberg, go to Burmecia then Cleyra while Garnet and Steiner go to Treno.

From there Garnet returns to Alexandria then shortly later so does Zidanne and co.

Garnet re-joins Zidane while Steiner stays in Alexandria.

From there go to outer continent, aquire Eiko, return to Alexandria, and at the beginning of disc 3 Steiner re-joins.
>>
>>386436891
It's filled with cracks and chocographs to find.

On disc 3 if you got the mountain chocobo and some dead peppers, you canget Amarant's and Freya's final weapons where when you go back tot he palace and kep them in Eiko's team you anniahalate everything bceause the game assumed you'd keep magic users in the palace party and physical attackers in Zidane's party.
>>
>>386437136
Well, shit. I was almost back to the reunion but i quit right before it. Steiner can stay back, im more concerned about having heals.
>>
File: Garnet stretch.gif (3MB, 291x426px) Image search: [Google]
Garnet stretch.gif
3MB, 291x426px
>>386437136
Loved the bit where Garnet is changing and you can make Steiner run by and startle her.
>>
>>386437239
Chocographs /= world.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, it's my favourite PS RPG, it's just that you wait to enter this unseen third continent, and all you get are two gimmick temples and go here to pick up treasure.
>>
File: Steiner.jpg (375KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Steiner.jpg
375KB, 1024x768px
>>386437239
I loved Hot and Cold, trying to find all the treasures was great fun.
>yfw you finally find the ocean chocograph
>>
>>386437427
I have a love hate relationship with Hot and Cold
>dick around doing it for hours on end
>finally look like I've found a new chocograph
>it's some other bullshit that just has the same rareness value
>>
>>386437529
Yeah RNG is a bitch sometimes. I've replayed IX probably 10 times and it appears different each time I play that game. Sometimes I get chocographs galore, other times it takes forever for them to pop up.
>>
>>386430446
Most of disc 4 is the long ass ending and cutscenes, just finish it off.
>>
>>386437723
Yeah not sure why he didn't like it. There were some pretty good fights, starting off with that great white dragons FMV.
>>
File: ixgif.gif (586KB, 500x538px) Image search: [Google]
ixgif.gif
586KB, 500x538px
The last true Final Fantasy for me. Every game after this feels like it's just carrying the brand name for instant recognition. (I still like XII tho)
>>
>>386430446
Got the airship and lost interest also
>>
>>386438025
It was done on purpose, and was basically Square's way of sending off the classic series as from that point on they changed direction with new staff after the Spirits Within mass-firing.
>>
I loved it from the very first second to the very last bit of credits.

Now classic FFs...
I am playng IV now and it's this close to making me cry of insufferable fucking boredom. The whole game is just so unfun with Lunar Subterrane being the definition of bullshit itself. Seriously thinking about grinding worms near Hummingway Home up to lvl 99 to storm through this retarded dungeon, beat Zeromus' ass and forget about this pile of crap of shit of a game and move on to V and VI.
>>
File: Zidane and Steiner argue.jpg (377KB, 1565x644px) Image search: [Google]
Zidane and Steiner argue.jpg
377KB, 1565x644px
>>386438025
>>
>>386438249
IV has a great story, and has an "evil seeking redemption" storyline that's a nice break from "teens save the world from evil old people" that's the standard FF storyline.
>>
>>386430446
I unlocked the final dungeon and just stopped playing, I don't know why. Did the same for Zelda Twilight Princess and Minish Cap.
>>
Honestly if the asspull Necron didn't exist I would have enjoyed this game a lot more
>>
>>386430446
Just beat this yesterday and my interest in the game's story basically died once the blue guy joined. It just kind of felt like they were going through the motions from that point onwards and pretty much all the party members that aren't Zidane and Garnet quickly become irrelevant starting from that point onwards.

Also I really didn't like FFIX's world map, when I finally got access to an airship it was so disappointing to see that I'd basically seen everything of note already and that huge parts of it had nothing.
>>
File: Memoria-Stairs-ffix.png (178KB, 320x544px) Image search: [Google]
Memoria-Stairs-ffix.png
178KB, 320x544px
>>386438163
It's not the same without Uematsu, Sakaguchi or Amano.

>>386438470
Play that last dungeon boy.
>>
>dropping at disc4
>just a linear dungeon with boss fights
>takes 2hours at worst to clear
Most disc4 is cutscenes for the finale. If you got that far it makes zero sense to drop at the shortest section in the entire game.
>>
>>386431469
Necron is the artificial soul of the Lifa Tree. It's literally a planet-killer.
>>
>>386430446
Everyone feels that way. FF9 completely falls apart and had a stitched together rushed ending. It's why Necron comes from literally nowhere.
>>
File: OUT OF NOWHERE.jpg (4KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
OUT OF NOWHERE.jpg
4KB, 125x125px
>>386430446
RPGs have a flaw: they end. You enjoy the game and you don't want it to end - you don't want to run out of content. So instead of "finishing" the game you stop playing. A lot of people do this.

It's okay though. There's lots of other RPGs to play. Just finish it. Have yourself a good cry. and pick up something new. Like Ogre Battle.
>>
>>386438589
The people who are obsessed with having the newest games don't care. There are a lot that truely believe the FF13 trilogy is FF at its best.
>>
>>386438249
Good luck with V. I had that exact feeling with V.
I dont know what people see in that ff.
>>
>>386438793
Even JonTron was like "It's the newest Smash Bros. Of course it's better than the last one."

It doesn't really work that way.

>>386438925
People like the job system and the story of friendship.
>>
File: acceptable.jpg (177KB, 710x888px) Image search: [Google]
acceptable.jpg
177KB, 710x888px
>>386437427
I want to protect that smile
>>
>>386438925
Well, fuck.

At least I remember VI being more fun. R-right?
>>
Same. I still love it, though. The beginning is fucking magical.
>>
>>386439201
Oh yeah. Production value goes way up with VI. Terra sections were its weakest point to me but the other cast makes up for it. Also everytime Kefka walked on screen it was enjoyable.
>>
>>386437427
>tfw you forget you found all the chocographs in the forest and keep digging, but find nothing but useless shit
>>
File: knife.jpg (60KB, 634x433px) Image search: [Google]
knife.jpg
60KB, 634x433px
>>386439524
Yeah if you spam X to skip all of Mene's convo you'll miss him saying there's no more chocographs.
>>
File: emperor.png (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
emperor.png
70KB, 640x480px
>>386430446
ive played it 4 or 5 times total in my life.

I enjoyed it a ton as a child and I have found thanks to it that I love to emulate rpgs, it allows me to use speedhacks and go ultra fast through slow parts or when backtracking, or just exploring some places. It's even led to me doing stuff like using cheat engine on the trails in the sky games, I use it strictly to speed up combat and the walking around when backtracking. I understand in some of these cases people will say the devs worked really hard on those areas and you should go through them slowly to enjoy them, but i've played enough rpgs that those sections do nothing for me.
>>
>>386431768
>plenty of content like secret bosses and secret areas.
Isn't there like ONE secret boss that's locked behind a fucking monotonous chocobo minigame and an optional town that's not really at all secret? What am I missing?
>>
>>386436460
very much so.
Because the main character and cast looks chibi even in their CGI movie form, and how Zidane looked like a Olsen twin.
Then there was the trolls reasoning that everything looked bad because they think it panders to furries. When in fact it's style of characters was reminiscent of dragonball but in some one else's particular design. So they took Toriyama's world and made it final fantasy. Where as Toriyama made his own style and made dragonball and dragon quest.
>>
What's the secret to Chocobo Hot and Cold? I never made it past the first area and I played it a lot more than I could count.
>>
File: grahf.jpg (612KB, 1053x1100px) Image search: [Google]
grahf.jpg
612KB, 1053x1100px
>>386439716
This has the unfortunate side effect of making rpgs almost unplayable for me without being able to emulate or cheat engine in some way. So lots of new releases I get nothing out of.

The only exceptions obviously are "rpgs" like bloodborne or something like persona 5 where there is extremely enjoyable background music that makes even the dull backtracking moments enjoyable.
>>
>>386439892
Just keep on diggin' til you get the chocographs. Then you use them to go find buried treasure on the world map.
>>
>>386436891
I can agree to that, like they could have had Terran survivors from the Gaia and Terra war that and had them hidden on the forgotten continent instead of just it's buildings. If anything they could have made Amarant one of those who couldve been a decedent from terran's that attacked long ago. Better than leaving just ruins of the forgotten race.
>>
>>386437239
I think he means other holes from the story, like they could have brought up Necron in the story instead of dropping him out of no where. Or show the war between Gaia and Terra.
>>
File: HCU64O9.png (313KB, 701x394px) Image search: [Google]
HCU64O9.png
313KB, 701x394px
>>386430446
Because the game does some things well and some thing not well at all.

For example the combat is borderline bad, the music is very mixed (some great tracks, some forgettable ones), some shit and pointless characters, ending is shit, the world is pretty bland, certain sections are downright boring, etc.
>>
>>386438025
You say that but it's true intention was to be a gaiden series. But the higher ups liked it so much they made it into a numbered entery.
>>
>>386438163
What did spirits with in have to do with ff9 devs?
>>
I finished it once and i cant remembet anything about the story for some reason
>>
>>386440180
Spirits Within nearly killed Square
>>
File: FINAL FANTASY XV_20161221171928.jpg (437KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FINAL FANTASY XV_20161221171928.jpg
437KB, 1920x1080px
>>386439984
so I was just unlucky?
>>
>>386438345
>>386438025
See this was what was missing so much in 13. 9 had this sense of accomplishment when finishing a dungeon or traveling from point A to point B. For some reason, 13 just took the basics and that was it. You knew where you were in 9 and it made it magical. 13 you are one place cut scene then in a completely different area with no idea in the world you were on cacoon. Pulse was a bit better.
>>
>>386438570
sounds more like you got RPG fatique. I get that feeling with P5.
>>
>>386438985
please tell me he didn't say that about 13, or was he referring to the sequels of 13 exclusively?
>>
>>386430446

its not that hard OP, you just have a bad attention span. Game is one of my favs.
>>
File: 1452718039784.png (21KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1452718039784.png
21KB, 320x287px
>>386430446
Same thing happened to me with FF8, except it was on disk 1.
>>
>>386440536
Unfortunately it's RNG based so sometimes you just get unlucky. I've had super good and super bad luck before in replays. Wish I could tell you otherwise.
>>
>>386440718
He was talking about smash bros.
>>
>>386439754
There is Hades as well, but yes there is Osmos
you have to find random monsters in random encounters in the world map and give them shit to bring Ozmos into striking distance. Then there is getting weapons as well.
>>
>>386440331
so they fired their best Devs who had nothing to do with that project?
>>
>>386440782
jfc I played a lot of that shit, damn
>>
>>386440664
Maybe, but I've played longer JRPG's and didn't have this problem with them.
>>
>>386440908
I don't think you quite understand how fucked Square was. They had to downsize
>>
>>386440990
yeah I guess you are right
>>
>>386440975
Were these longer games played when you younger or older?
>>
File: 1460461307710.gif (2MB, 230x250px) Image search: [Google]
1460461307710.gif
2MB, 230x250px
>>386440770
>Same thing happened to me with FF8, except it was on disk 1.

What? FF8 disk 1 had
>assault on dollet
>train hijack and kidnapping
>assassination
>>
>>386440864
sorry I mean Ozma
>>
>>386441085
the end
>>
>>386440990
Spirits Within being a blunder doesn't change the fact that they ruined what FFXII could've been and forced their most creative talent out the door and became a company hellbent on demographics, microtransactions, and DLC storytelling.

Square and Enix both died with the merger.
>>
File: 1455632572137.gif (720KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1455632572137.gif
720KB, 267x200px
>>386441085
I dont think ive even made it to these parts. I disliked every single character so much and draw was too boring.
>>
>>386440770
>>386441085
Disk 1 was cozy as fuck
>>
>>386431469
It makes sense from a thematic perspective. FFIX is basically an examination of existentialism. Vivi is the most obvious example that everyone gets, but all the characters deal with their own existential crisis and all of them have their own answers to it. Steiner defines himself by his duty, Freya by love, Amarant by strength, Eiko by family/companionship, etc. Even Quina has his own absurdist take on it, "I do what I want! You have problem?!"

Kuja is an interesting example because he ostensibly takes a kind of Nietzchean/ubermensch stance on his crisis. His obsession with aesthetics and culture reflects this and is actually an important facet of his character rather than simply conforming to the "generic bishie JRPG villain" archetype. He thinks of himself as a trickster hero who transcends the narrative and outsmarts those who try to box him in to a predetermined role, i.e. being Garland's angel of death. He and Zidane are actually incredibly similar in that respect, with the key difference probably being that Zidane views caring for other people as a sign of strength where Kuja sees it as weakness.

The whole game asks questions like "what does it mean to exist?" and "what justifies my existence?" from the war between Alexandria and Lindblum/Cleyra all the way to Terra vs Gaia at the end. Necron is supposed to be the final escalation of that conflict to its purest form. Granted, it could've been handled WAY better in a way that didn't come out of nowehere, but it's not entirely without reason.
>>
>>386441175
I don't disagree, but that's not really the point
>>
>>386441050
Both.
>>
>>386441269
Then you have just changed over time, certain things that grabbed you then doesn't now and vise versa. I mean a lot times I don't want to finish the game is because the adventure is over, so that gets in my head an I dont finish it.
>>
>>386441175
XII was a masterpiece. What're you talking about?
>>
>>386441175
they truly did, they lost their heart and sold their soul to the demograph devil.
>>
>>386436651
So, how is it living with autism?
>>
>>386441205
You shouldnt try to OP your build with draw if it isnt fun to you. I made that mistake once and ended up dropping as well.
Play it normally just drawing enough and the chore goes away.
>>
>>386441592
Tetris is masterpiece.
XII had potential. Lets leave it at that.
>>
>>386441765
Well if helps you feel any better, at least it's not XIV.
>>
>>386441205
I felt the same way except for Zell. I mean I hate mopey characters, fucking hate them, but I had to finish the game in its entirety to judge the game. You have no idea how much suffering I went through to finish 13.
>>
>>386430446
>thoroughly enjoyed it
>Can't even finish it
So you don't actually enjoy it.
>>
>>386442035
You can enjoy something enough to not want it to end.
>>
>>386441697
Enc-none and all the refinement abilities. Play cards. No need to draw.

And don't you fucking dare to lvl up needlessly.
>>
>>386442107
He explicitly said the game goes "meh" near the end, so that's not the case.
Fact is he doesn't actually enjoy it, if he did he would have played through it four or five times, instead he drops it every time, it's fair to say he enjoys the first three discs, but not the game as a whole.
>>
>>386442138
>And don't you fucking dare to lvl up needlessly.
huh, kind of defeats the purpose of getting stronger.
>>
>>386442216
I think it could be a psychosis where he doesn't realize that he's going "meh" because he doesn't actually want it to end.
>>
>>386442216
Those kind of expectations is a bit much, I would say at least beaten the game in full.
>>
>>386442271
You don't gain stats much from levelling. You gain the stats from junctioning and abilities. Enemies on the other hand gain enprmus boosts from you levelling up.
>>
>>386442138
>that feel when I decided to grind in every new area as a kid, not realizing I was fucking myself over since I didn't understand how anything fucking worked whatsoever
>>
>>386440770
I always dropped the game after the garden civil war. I remember the exact spot too where I never went forward.

It's at a destroyed garden that crashed near some mountains, and you go there and have a long talking scene on a basketball courtyard. I don't know why I dropped it there THREE times throughout my life, but I did.
>>
>>386442138
>Play cards. No need to draw.
>tfw I hate both
I guess I'll never experience FF8.
>>
>>386442590
>he didn't play triple triad online with his friends

Your high school years must have been suffering
>>
>>386442341
Nah, FFIX does drop the ball like all FF, I can understand why he stops there, to me it drops the ball once you leave Alexandria really, but still, if he can't muster enough strength to finish it we're going back to square one, he doesn't enjoy it enough to actually finish it.
>>386442361
Well, he did say he played it around 4 times.
I wouldn't be able to play any FF more than once, because FF has zero replay value and it's way too story focused for me, but many of my friends played through them at least thrice back in the days, because they did in fact enjoy them a lot.
>>
>>386442504
The great "We were in the same orphange but we forgot"-scene
>>
>>386442673
Nah. I've played hotseat HoMM and StarCraft over VPN via dial-up modem.
>>
File: 1500857329216.webm (2MB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
1500857329216.webm
2MB, 1280x544px
>>386430446
I tried playing it twice and stopped midway through both times.

It's comfy as fuck, but honestly it's the weakest PS1 FF. There's little meaningful character customization besides 'oh this boss confuses, let me equip confuseproof', the combat system is as painfully slow, and the story/characters are forgettable -- with some of the main cast virtually written out past the first 5 hours.
>>
>>
>>386442504
Literally me.
>junctioning with no atrategy whatsoever
>grind and never use Rinoa
>get her forced in my party
>dies in one hit everytime
Pure pain i tell you.
>>
I fucking love chocographs, and don't understand why every open world doesn't have some kind of treasure hunt with clues instead of worthless collectibles placed every 10 feet on your minimap.
>>
>>386442843
>There's little meaningful character customization besides 'oh this boss confuses, let me equip confuseproof', the combat system is as painfully slow, and the story/characters are forgettable -- with some of the main cast virtually written out past the first 5 hours.
sounds like you didn't even play the game.
You have specific weapons for each character that give not just better stats but abilities and new attack abilities. Once your characters get to a town they split up and you can witness character building on each of them.
The main cast is previlant in the entire story.
What you described was 8 if anything.
>>
>>386443161
>What you described was 8 if anything.
VIII was the most customizable FF since II, IX was the worst since IV.
In VIII you can micromanage every single stat and ability set bar limits, in IX you're back to fixed growth tables and premade skillsets you have no control over outside of when you get to learn a certain ability, wanna have Zidane summon or use white magic? Too bad for you. Wanna have Zell use summons and magic? Go ahead bro.
>>
File: 1466948920971.gif (934KB, 440x327px) Image search: [Google]
1466948920971.gif
934KB, 440x327px
>>386442590
>hating triple triad
>>
>>386443161
>You have specific weapons for each character that give not just better stats but abilities and new attack abilities.
After the last 4ish games it's sorely lacking. You're basically just using predefined items (and their linked abilities) that are placed in front of you in semi-regular intervals. Sometimes you can win/steal something better. That's it. Even the fucking materia system had more meaningful decisions than that.
>>
>>386443580
I just don't like mini-games in general. Especially when they're forced. And when the only choice is between having to steal magic from every random encounter or being forced to participate in another mini-game, I just lose interest.
>>
File: 1434459980669.jpg (151KB, 1024x708px) Image search: [Google]
1434459980669.jpg
151KB, 1024x708px
>>386430446

GREAT into "meh" is the fate of nearly all JRPGs.

Just appreciate them for the stuff you really liked.

>>386442813

I can forgive this just because I'm a huge autismo who read the all the PC shit at the start of the game and wondered when the memory loss part of GF use would kick in. I'm one of the, like, 10 people in the world who did this though, so I can understand how it got a reputation for being absolutely retarded.
>>
>>386443578
>you're back to

That was the point you ignoramus.
>>
>>386443812
>Garnet will never sit on your face
Why live?
>>
>>386443578
>>386443587
You guys seriously need to go back and use Quina this time.
>>
File: 1466532951078.jpg (158KB, 753x706px) Image search: [Google]
1466532951078.jpg
158KB, 753x706px
>>386443938
>Why live?
Good point.
>garnet would rather fuck a monkey than you
>>
>>386443812
What has that to do with the lack of customization?
Yeah, FFIX was a return to the old standard, and that old standard had less customization than the modern one, which was the point of the entire discussion, FFIX is way less customazible than VIII.
>>
>>386444002
>You guys seriously need to go back and use Quina this time.
>Blue magic is customization
Can Quina use summons?
You seriously need to go back and use Quistis/Gau/Enemy Skill/Blue Mages etc.
>>
>>386430446

IMHO it goes to shit during the second half.
>>
>>386443587
you know that synth was in the game allowing you to make new items, you might as well say that for every final fantasy, you use predefined weapons in all the previous games. Really what are you talking about? Materia did the same thing as getting new weapons with out giving everyone magic.
>>
File: 1319150415591.png (87KB, 251x249px) Image search: [Google]
1319150415591.png
87KB, 251x249px
>tfw you defeat Ozma
>>
>>386442813
DELETE THIS

Seriously though, VIII is 10x more enjoyable if you ignore that part.
>>
You'd be far better off just shit posting about how much you hate the industry on /v/ than ever playing a video game ever again. Fucking video games are stupid.
>>
Are there any JRPG's where the game actually gets better in the second half? I'm really struggling to think of any.
>>
>>386444291
Every SaGa game ever.
>>
>>386444142
so you want characters that can do every form of magic, that takes away the whoLe point of a class system. Just give a character a gimmick weapon and there is your class. 9 was about classes not about magical muguffins that made everything better.
>>
>>386444192
>you might as well say that for every final fantasy, you use predefined weapons in all the previous games.
Except you factually don't.
>>386444291
>Are there any JRPG's where the game actually gets better in the second half?
A lot, but if I make a list I'll be called a hipster tryhard so I'll refrain.
>>
>>386444142
Jesus man, settle down. Im not pitting games against each other. Just saying if your grudge is customizing character with abilities you SHOULD use Quina. She/He is a blue mage and your spell list becomes huge. Quina is the most OP character in that game. And you clearly missed it. You like it, trust me.
>>
>>386444373
>so you want characters that can do every form of magic, that takes away the whoLe point of a class system.
No it does not, you just gotta design you game better, but FF and meaningful design choice are two things that will never happen at the same time.
>>
>>386444384
Be brave and make that list. Together we'll dab on the haters so don't let them keep you down.
>>
>>386444384
>Except you factually don't.
theb name one that doesn't
You get a weapon with predetermined stats. Then you add materia that adds to it.
>>
File: eddy.png (40KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
eddy.png
40KB, 126x126px
>>386430446
>spending dozens of hours on a game
>not bothering to finish the last few hours
People like you will never achieve anything in life.
>>
>>386444192
5 had the job system
6 had the esper system
7 had the materia system
8 had junctioning

every fucking ff has characters with different abilities and equippable gear. that's the absolute bare minimum.
>>
>>386444441
>No it does not, you just gotta design you game better, but FF and meaningful design choice are two things that will never happen at the same time.
what are you on about? it seems you are just pulling sentences out of you butt.
They designed 9 with the class system involved. That gives opportunity to focus on what those classes can do.
>>
File: illust_59436055_20170807_061017.png (359KB, 780x740px) Image search: [Google]
illust_59436055_20170807_061017.png
359KB, 780x740px
>>386443938
that's just how life goes.
>>
File: Neo Exdeath.webm (3MB, 1214x758px) Image search: [Google]
Neo Exdeath.webm
3MB, 1214x758px
>modern FF games using FF3, 5, 6 and 12 for inspiration
>FF9 completely ignored
Why bros?
>>
>>386444540
So what's your point?
>>
>>386444629
>no trance recolour
you had one fucking job
>>
>>386437427
It's fucking impossible on the pc version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94PdrQF1Ugs
>>
>>386444458
>Together we'll dab on the haters so don't let them keep you down.
but what if the haters dab back?
>>
File: Trance_Dagger.jpg (13KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
Trance_Dagger.jpg
13KB, 200x300px
>>386444716
>>
>>386444676
That ff9 is lacking in meaningful character customization, even compared to games from the same series that predated it. It's dumbed down.
>>
>>386444716
There are a lot of missed opportunities. No trance version, no nude, no farting or pooping. Still good though.
>>
>>386444540
and each did it differently 7 and 8 you could just use 3 characters and say fuck off to the rest. Pretty much destroys the point of haven't a supporting cast at all.
>>
>>386444291
Shadow Hearts
SMTII
Chrono Trigger
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
>>
>>386444663
I think it's pride.
They got it wrong so many times that it should have tried at least once to mimic 9 and see how it goes.
>>
>>386444794
That's what 7 and 8 did. All you get is characters with gimmick weapons and give the magic to your favorites and that's it, thonly differece was what their weapon looked like and limit break.
9 you had different abilities for each character, if anything 7 and 8 were dumbed down because it didn't matter what class you were.
>>
>>386444663
This is a neat webm.

FF9 was a throwback to 4 more than any other game.
>>
>>386444794
>ff9 is lacking in meaningful character customization
each character had his own role and could be changed around with abilities you learn from items.

not being able to make all characters the same isn't necessarily a bad thing.
and at least don't use ff8 as a good example on how to make character customization pls, the junction system was broken as fuck
>>
>>386444794
It has class abilities tied to items with Ap progression.
I dont know why youre ignoring it, fft uses the same stuff.
>>
>>386444742
How so?
>>
>>386444194
Ozma was a joke.
>>
>>386444424
>And you clearly missed it. You like it, trust me.
Dude, I played the game and Quina is just as limited as any other character, again, Quistis is the same exact character and she's more customizable than her.
>>386444458
Alrighty then:
SaGa games
Metal Max/Metal Saga games
Valkyrie Profile
SMT
SMTII
SMT: SJ
SMT: If...
Persona/Persona II
Front Mission 2
Langrisser II
Langrisser IV
Phantasy Star 4
Brandish II
Zill O'll
Gunparade March
Legend of Mana
BoFIV
BoF Dragon Quarter
Suikoden II
Chrono Cross
Star Ocean 2
Tales of Eternia/Legendia/Rebirth
Frontier Gate
Tactics Ogre
And many others I can't recall right now
>>386444461
>theb name one that doesn't
FFII, FFIII, FFV
>>386444595
>They designed 9 with the class system involved.
Many SaGa games have a class system that is infinitely more customizable and in depth than FFIX, and so did FFV, no need to take out the big guns.
Fact is IX is tremendously limited even if you take in consideration class systems.
>>
>>386445116
You move incredibly fast in the minigame for whatever reason which makes precisely placing yourself almost impossible
>>
>>386442341
This is the dumbest meme. Only a handful of weirdos in the entire world think like this. The guy just gets bored because he finally realises the game is boring. Think about it, at the very end you finally get your airship and can explore the world only to find that you've been everywhere already and there's fucking nothing to explore except one boring out of the way town. You get that far hoping for epic adventure, realise it will never come, of course you're going to be let down and lose interest. It's hard to motivate yourself to continue when you've already seen everything worthwhile the game has to offer.
>>
>>386445148
>I played the game and Quina is just as limited as any other character
>Quistis is the same exact character
This looks like the 40 year old virgin talking about sex. Just stop please and follow my friendly advice.
>>
>>386431469
>"HI IM HUGE EVIL GIANT BEAT ME UP".
>Necron is an asspull
>The Crystal somehow isn't
Did you ever notice that Necron is shaped like the crystal and they both have rings around them?
>>
>>386445302
Yeah. Or you had your epic adventure, realize it's about to end and rather than suffer that fate you end it yourself and imagine that the story goes on in your head.
>>
>>386445241
Oh that sucks. Framerate issues?
>>
>>386445041
FFT also had a job system that allowed you to mix and match class abilities/passives. The abilities that your characters used had to be built towards and prioritized heavily through the job tree. The job system was also completely detatched from what breadcrumbs the game scattered in front of you - which meant if you built and planned poorly you couldn't progress.

I mean, shit. The very fact that you mentioned something like FFT which had very deep individual character customization as a comparison just shows me how much the concept eluded you.
>>
>>386445148
>FFII, FFIII, FFV
2 has you win a 100 times to level it's use
9 does the same thing with AP leveling and getting abilities that you can customize.
changes classes but those classes are predestend with their own weapons.
5 same as 3. The only thing that is different you can carry a classes special moves over, that's it.
9 isn't supposed to have class changing because it's part of the story you Mook. Their classes are cemented to the story.
Plus you could still customize what abilities that specific class has.
>>
>>386445565
>Plus you could still customize what abilities that specific class has.
The level of customization was trivial. That's the entire point of the discussion.
>>
File: 1466077242049.png (327KB, 471x300px) Image search: [Google]
1466077242049.png
327KB, 471x300px
>>386445325
>A stereotypical blue mage is somehow different from another stereotypical blue mage
>Hurr better call him a virgin
Nice rebuttal, I kinda forgot how childish FF fans can be.
>>
>>386445513
These classes have no barring to the story, yes you get customization better than all 2 3 and 5, but all make no baring to the story at hand.
>>
>>386445456
You had an 'epic' railroaded experience barely qualifying as a game. All the game you wait to actually explore the world on your own terms and have some say in where you go and who's in your party. When you finally, finally get that there's nothing to be found.
>don't want it to end
You're waiting for the bloody game to START. It's like a 4 disc long tutorial.
>>
>>386438345
Playing the pc version for the first time now and I almost miss the way the PS1 version looks. Yeah everything is obviously cleaner, but there's just something about the way the textboxes look and the PS1's wobbly textures that just hit my nostalgia.
>>
>>386430446
I also got on release day, disc 4 screwed me over alot back when, rushed too much and couldn't get past a boss, but i've completed it twice now, the only thing I didn't kill was Ozma because I didn't max out everyone and use shadow shield, but then I have the same problem with 8 cause I didn't farm hero pots to cheese omega with, and refuse to beat him that way.

but to the point no, I find the trouble getting into the start of games, not dropping them. I had ff13 for years before I actually got into it, now I have plat on part 1 and -2.
>>
I just realised that VIII is one of the few FF games that doesn't gimp you when it comes to elemental damage, since the elemental property is completely independent of your equipped weapon.
>>
>>386445681
>The level of customization was trivial. That's the entire point of the discussion.
no you just said it was lacking customization and when proved other wise you ignore it for the sake of your argument.
Zidane as a protect girls ability, no one has it but him
Meaning he won't protect guys but steiner has a similar ability that does both sexes. So you can customize steiner to be a blocker while AP is freed up for zidane for other abilities.
>>
>>386445325
>A stereotypical blue mage is somehow different from another stereotypical blue mage
>Hurr better call him a virgin
Nice rebuttal, I kinda forgot how childish FF fans can be.
>>386445565
You seem to be missing the point entirely, FFIX has characters only using one weapon type per character, two if you're lucky, whereas all the other examples let you equipe whatever you want on a character, and two of those also had hard class systems.
>9 isn't supposed to have class changing because it's part of the story you Mook.
And that's precisely why it's limited in the same way 4 is.
>Plus you could still customize what abilities that specific class has
No you can't, you have a laundry list of abilities for that specific character and that's it, that's not customization, that's ticking off an item in your laundry list and choosing one to put in a slot, that's not customization, customization would mean having Zidane being able to summon just as Eiko can or having him do combos with Vivi, instead you can only choose slightly different flavours of Zidane at best.
>>
File: oo bait.webm (337KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
oo bait.webm
337KB, 960x540px
>>386445750
We know you don't like video games but OP said he enjoyed the game and couldn't bear to finish it. If he didn't enjoy the whole game he wouldn't have gotten as far as he did.
>>
File: 1493967928406.jpg (34KB, 640x637px) Image search: [Google]
1493967928406.jpg
34KB, 640x637px
>beat boss
>no exp
>>
>>386445513
Oh boy, you just went on a tangent there talking about job system. Yeah, 9 has character locked classes and tactics dont. Now back to the point, the ability customization through item and ap gathering are not distant. IX customization isnt unique at all. But god knows why you are trying to put it aside like it isnt a thing.
>>
The fuck are you talking about? Blue mages are hands down most useful class in series because of the sheer versatility. Quistis and Kimahri don't apply because their Blue Magic is tied into their limit breaks.
>>
I can't even play FFIX because I want to minmax the level up stat bonuses but playing a level 1 game until disc 4 is way too much work.
>>
>>386445902
>No you can't, you have a laundry list of abilities for that specific character and that's it, that's not customization,
what? yes it is, because you only have 99 AP and too many abilities to use them all. You can't equip them all, so you have to be smart and equip ones that cover the other other party members while they do the same for each other.
>>
>>386445935
optionally or tactically not leveling has been a thing since ff6 newfag.
>>
>>386445935
I'd take AP over EXP anyday
>>
>>386445902
>Zidane being able to summon just as Eiko can or having him do combos with Vivi,
that's not his character, if you bothered to play the game, plus steiner combos off of Vivi, I have know idea why you ignore this.
>>
>>386445918
>We know you don't like video games
Now who's baiting? I'm just trying to squash your stupid meme before it gets out of hand and idiots start believing it applies to them when it does not.
>>
>>386445902
>No you can't, you have a laundry list of abilities for that specific character and that's it, that's not customization, that's ticking off an item in your laundry list and choosing one to put in a slot, that's not customization,
you just described the materia system
>>
>>386443580
It's kind of annoying though. Especially when you're trying to win someone's rare card.

I think the game is probably better on emulator so you can use save states for shit like that.
>>
File: 1386764271593.png (311KB, 680x681px) Image search: [Google]
1386764271593.png
311KB, 680x681px
>>386446110
I never said it applies to everyone.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXlE8ZESSEI

THE FEELS
>>
>>386446013
The fact that you can do a near true Lv1 game with all characters is part of what makes 9 legendary. You utilize nearly every game mechanic to its maximum and appreciate characters you might not have, like Quina.
>>
>>386445692
For the record, i didnt called you a virgin Mr Defensive. You just clearly havent explored Quina at all. And here am i, wasting time trying to suggest things youll enjoy. But sure, ignore it and dont replay the game. Already gave my 2 cents.
>>
>>386446027
>Ticking off abilities in a character locked laundry list is customization.
Boy, if that's customization to you I don't know what to say, you probably never played a game with actual customization.
>>386446107
>that's not his character
And that's why the system is so limited.
>>386446142
>you just described the materia system
Never knew certain materias were only usable on certain characters, I'd really like to use enemyskill or bahamut on Barret, if only I could do that...
>>
>>386446193
>cheating at a card game
You used to get shot dead for that.
>>
>>386446242
>You just clearly havent explored Quina at all
I did, she's a Blue Mage that's even more limited than Quistis and Kimahri are.
But please, tell me how she's somehow more customizable than Quistis.
>>
>>386446353
I'm not cheating at the card game. I'm just trying to get the FUCKER to play his rare card.
>>
>>386446301
>Boy, if that's customization to you I don't know what to say, you probably never played a game with actual customization.
Yes it is, the fact you can choose which abilities to be ammune to or start a battle with float and haste is customization. You are just stuck on this if it's not a different class I can't customize.
you keep ignoring the facts because you don't like thing.
>>
>>386446396
Ok, I'll bite. How is Quina limited as a blue mage?
>>
duuuuuuur customization
>>
>>386446414
> I'm just trying to get the FUCKER to play his rare card.
...laguna card in space with random rule active?

moments that gave you vidya post traumatic stress disorder...
>>
>>386446301
>And that's why the system is so limited.
while other characters aren't effected by their class in story? That's not limitation when you delve deeper into a specific class and choose his AP abilities.
>>
>>386446414
Haha, it was even harder to get a real human player to play their rare cards in the online version. What a bunch of pussies, hoarding rare cards never to be used.
>>
>>386446498
Eiko a best. I still can't believe Zidane didn't hit that.
>you will never have a 6 year old lust after you
>>
File: Garnet_White_Mage.jpg (147KB, 1645x1150px) Image search: [Google]
Garnet_White_Mage.jpg
147KB, 1645x1150px
When will Squeenix properly remake FFIX with this level of graphics?
>>
>>386446301
why don't you he's got a materia slot for that called all materia
>>
File: PSX_20170807_064859.jpg (114KB, 608x554px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20170807_064859.jpg
114KB, 608x554px
>>386446628
You're a pervert. You have good taste.
>>
>>386446776
Thank you.
>>
>>386446474
>let me equip this weapon that has blindproof that was laid in front of me in a treasure chest/shop
>hmm maybe I should equip blindproof on my character
>oh wow a boss that blinds im sure glad I equipped blindproof a few minutes ago

the level of depth is comical compared to other games that predated it. that's the whole point
>>
>>386446687
Got the shot of her butt on the airship in HD?
>>
>>386446853
>muh gameplay depth
>in FF games
come now anon
>>
>>386446628
Not cool to sexualize Eiko. She had a sad story.
>>
>>386446776
Eiko a best.

>ywn have a hot steamy threesome with Eiko and Relm
>>
>>386446853
that's every final fantasy
oh hey there's a shield that gives me defence against all fire
wow!
are you this new?
>>
File: IMG_4728.gif (577KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4728.gif
577KB, 540x540px
>>386446985
>>386446847
>>386446776
>you will never teach Eiko, Relm, and Rydia about sex
>>
>>386446973
I'm not sexualizing her though. I'd totally ring that finger of hers.
>>
>>386446853
you do realize that not all characters get said same ability right?
Each Item has 0-3 abilities be it spells or AP abilities, not every character can use those abilities or spells but they can wear it and gain a specific ability then you hand tp the character to gain another class specific ability. That's custimization more specified but makes the item that more unique to each character. And you choose to use it or not.
>>
>>386446925
>>386447001
when the relative level of customization is beaten by just about every ff that predates it, it's an issue.
>>
>>386447381
Only if you autistically make it one. FF9 is fine, it was supposed to be back to basics after the screeching FF8 caused. It's functional, and it's fine.
>>
>>386446474
>the fact you can choose which abilities to be ammune to or start a battle with float and haste is customization.
That "customization" is the same thing as equipping specific pieces of equipment(which are still character locked), it can hardly be called customization at all, you're just rearranging a character locked list of abilities instead of having a pool of abilities everyone can access, like you know, actual customization.
>>386446484
Can Quina summon, cast black or white magic, or steal items? She can't, Quistis can while being a Blue Mage just as much as Quina is, especially considering Quistis can also eat stuff, which is Quina's most defining trait besides Blue Magic.
Quina, like all FFIX characters, is unfortunately stuck in a archaic hard template you have almost no control over, because of a design choice that fundamentally limits your inputs on a character compared to previous entries in the series which gave you more freedom.
>>386446564
>while other characters aren't effected by their class in story?
How are the characters affected by their class in the story? It's not like you have skill checks for stealing in Zidane's case or INT checks for Vivi in case you want to interact with NPCs in certain ways, the saddest thing is that characters aren't affected buy their classes in their story at all, it's just a forced template for battles, which is again, more limited and less customizable than the previous FF.
>That's not limitation when you delve deeper into a specific class and choose his AP abilities.
It is, you still can't explain what makes Steiner unable to use spears or use chakra outside of "He's a knight and knights in FFIX somehow can't use spears or chackra because reasons whereas they could in FFT or FFV".
The whole point of this discussion is that it is a design choice that is severely more limited compared to the predecessors' designs when it comes to what you can do with a character.
>>
>>386447381
not every FF has open classes, 4 is similar to 9 that everyone has preset classes, what you're after are games like 5 and x-2 where you can decide for yourself.

or 7 and 8 which let you do whatever the fuck you want. or 10, which is a middle ground giving the characters classes but breaking into open later on. (and somehow kihmari still manages to be shit.)
>>
>>386440908
Hawaii studio developed IX. Pretty that was the studio that also did Spirits Within.
>>
>>386442843
That's 8 to me. I've tried 3 times now and just end up stopping around the school festival.
>>
>>386447381
You haven't made your case . After 7 and 8 all you had was blank character and give them what ever magic you want, yes thats customization in its basic form. A lack of control on who uses it just makes each character a replaceable avatar with no other use. If you want customization you should have to do that with all your character in various ways instead throwing muggufins to make warrior/blackmage/white mage.
>>
File: 4543535445453.jpg (299KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
4543535445453.jpg
299KB, 1920x1080px
>>386444663
FF XIV has quite a bit of IX stuff in it. The only FF that does honestly besides Crystal Chronicles.
>>
It turns to shit once you leave for Terra and just barely picks itself up in time for the ending sequence
>>
>>386447514
>That "customization" is the same thing as equipping specific pieces of equipment(which are still character locked), it can hardly be called customization at all, you're just rearranging a character locked list of abilities instead of having a pool of abilities everyone can access, like you know, actual customization.
You do know 8 and 7 do exactly that, and the rest equipment is, get this, bangles!
You have weapons specific but you also have armor seperated by arm, head, body, and accessory. Each hold a special ability that can spread across classes. Just because you can't change classes doesn't mean you can't customize these classes.
>>
>>386446204
You're saying it applies to OP when he's already stated he simply lost interest. You're essentially forcing your meme. Me, all I did was theorise why he lost interest using the game's design as evidence, puts me quite a few steps above someone who reckons it's a normal reaction to stop playing so you can just imagine your own fanfiction continuation.
>>
>>386446230
I thought this would have been a pretty cool moment if Zidane trying to go off on his own didn't feel incredibly forced and against his character. I mean sure you can argue it makes sense because of what he just went through but the guy had been putting himself out there to help people and encourage the others to work together literally the entire game. I just really couldn't buy it, especially since he was going through the exact same thing he'd spent ages helping Vivi out with earlier in the game.
>>
>>386430446
Same thing happened to me. I finally beat it this year, I think it was in February.

It was an incredible game and probably one of my favorites of all time. That ending was nuts.
>>
>>386448075
>You do know 8 and 7 do exactly that
No they don't.
Only Quina can use the Eat command, anyone in FFVIII can use the Eat command, same with any other command bar character locked limits, have you even played the games?
>>
>>386447514
>How are the characters affected by their class in the story?
you notice that the story starts with a group of theives kidnapping a princess, that there is a love story between a theif and princess summoner. That there are knights that have knight abilities and the story is effected by it, that BLACK MAGES are being mass produced as weapons. It's like you didn't play the game. >>386447514
>"He's a knight and knights in FFIX somehow can't use spears or chackra because reasons whereas they could in FFT or FFV".
because he's a swords man? because the spear is used by the dragoon?
chakra is used by a fucking monk and you are asking a Victorian knight model to do an asain style of healing, he's not a goddamn paladin, he's a knight.
>>
>>386447773
>After 7 and 8 all you had was blank character and give them what ever magic you want
>9 has concrete classes
>unless you choose expert mode, 10 has Tidus as a time mage
>12 has Vaan start as a thief and you have to go out of your way to build him towards anything else
>13 has set prime classes and you only get to choose secondary classes
>>
>>386448354
Quistis? you mean her limit break
where Quina can use it any time in battle?
Are you even trying?
>>
File: woops you got me.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
woops you got me.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>386448229
I think you're reaching. You may think disk four is bad but that's pretty subjective. I'd be interested to hear if OP has done this with other games he enjoys.
>>
File: OooSoft.png (2MB, 1714x1198px) Image search: [Google]
OooSoft.png
2MB, 1714x1198px
THE SOFTEST
>>
>>386448367
>the story is effected by it
No, the story is written around it, but not affected, if it was I would have a choice in how the story develops, which I don't.
>because he's a swords man? because the spear is used by the dragoon?
And?
>chakra is used by a fucking monk and you are asking a Victorian knight model to do an asain style of healing, he's not a goddamn paladin, he's a knight.
You could do this in FFIII, FFV and FFT, why can't you do that in FFIX?
>>386448436
>where Quina can use it any time in battle?
How does that change anything?
>>
>>386448506
Name a more alpha FF protag. You can't.
>>
>>386448658
>How does that change anything?
Don't need to build up a limit break
>>
>>386448789
Wow, casting a spell is so hard, especially when limits in FFVIII don't need to charge a bar unlike FFIX.
And again, how does that change anything?
How does that changes that Quina is fundamentally less customizable than Quistis anyway?
>>
>>386448658
>No, the story is written around it, but not affected, if it was I would have a choice in how the story develops, which I don't.
Yes it is it was built for it in mind especially when the when a thief can't learn magic that's pointed it out in the story.
And the reason why you can't use those weapons it's because you can customize them in different ways. Just because you can't change classes doesn't mean there's no customisation.
>>
>>386448943
>Wow, casting a spell is so hard, especially when limits in FFVIII don't need to charge a bar unlike FFIX.
Apparently it's hard enough for you to use a limit break to do it. Mainly that ff9 characters have more equipment to customize instead of just a bangle and a whip
>>
File: 1494373035782.jpg (146KB, 625x828px) Image search: [Google]
1494373035782.jpg
146KB, 625x828px
>>386449006
>Just because you can't change classes doesn't mean there's no customisation.

Of course there is some customization. There just isn't enough.

I just don't understand why FFIX is anybody's favorite FF. I mean why? The story? Not really, it's just as shitty as any other FF with a below-par finale. The gameplay? Not really, it's slow as fuck and there isn't a lot of customization.

The only reasons I could see are the world building and characters. Ivalice is really well rendered for the time and I did like what few characters they bothered to flesh out.
>>
>>386449426
>I just don't understand why FFIX is anybody's favorite FF. I mean why? The story? Not really, it's just as shitty as any other FF with a below-par finale. The gameplay? Not really, it's slow as fuck and there isn't a lot of customization.
>The only reasons I could see are the world
Because you're a goddamn idiot all you did was just list off oh these are my preferences. I don't like things so therefore no one else should stop liking what I don't like.
And all you want is simplistic customisation to where you can make any character shoot laser beams out of his ass. And instead of having for small group of characters you have double that amount and actually making them useful in their own way instead of just throwing them in the back and never using them again.
>>
File: 85579c426f3c6808185b3deb2f59c4a3.jpg (876KB, 846x1200px) Image search: [Google]
85579c426f3c6808185b3deb2f59c4a3.jpg
876KB, 846x1200px
>>386448506
>>
>>386449263
>Apparently it's hard enough for you to use a limit break to do it
Not really
>Mainly that ff9 characters have more equipment to customize
You can't customize equipment in FFIX, you can choose what piece of equipment you want to use and that's it.
>instead of just a bangle and a whip
If you've actually bothered to play FFVIII you'd know that junctioning takes place of orthodox equipment and it is much more customizable than anything FFIX offers since you can micromanage every single stat and defense/offense effect and multiplier, which you can't do in FFIX, you just have to eat your premade stat tables and values and deal with it.

So again, FFIX is the less customizable FF until that point in time together with FFIV and I, you can kick and scream as much as you like but that's the fundamental truth of matter, FFIX is extremely limited compared to its predecessors on the same console and many other games before it.
>>386449642
>And all you want is simplistic customisation to where you can make any character shoot laser beams out of his ass
That's not simplistic customization at all, especially compared to IX's laughable customization.
>And instead of having for small group of characters you have double that amount and actually making them useful in their own way
Please, don't make me laugh, half of the cast in FFIX is useless just like every Final Fantasy that doesn't have a cast of four playable characters, and like all FF the game is so piss easy you can complete it in any way you want with no effort, you don't even have to consider how terribly designed all the characters and abilities are.
>>
>>386430446
That is weird as fuck. I enjoyed my first playthrough outside of some annoying ass areas super thoroughly. When i go back to the game disc one is the only part that i find painful because its pretty on rails compared to 2-4 overall.
>>
>>386434671
Necron is the avatar of the Iifa Tree from Terra's side like Soul Cage. Hence why killing him kills the Iifa Tree in the ending.

In other words, he is wholly a shitty Exdeath.
>>
>>386450129
Yes really>>386450129
>You can't customize equipment in FFIX, you can choose what piece of equipment you want to use and that's it.
That have special abilities that can attach to your character you moron.>>386450129
>If you've actually bothered to play FFVIII you'd know that junctioning takes place of orthodox equipment and it is much more customizable than anything FFIX offers since you can micromanage every single stat and defense/offense effect and multiplier, which you can't do in FFIX, you just have to eat your premade stat tables and values and deal with it.
So you have the magical McGuffin equipment that does all you want while you micromanage in the other which is also called... Customisation! With each their own special abilities that get attached to that character. All that customisation is customisation. That's a lot more customization than you bargained for isn't it where you get to alter your stats specifically instead of just throwing any magic at something and see if it sticks. All you did was just pointing out that how much actual customisation there actually is in Final Fantasy 9. You haven't proved anything other than there is one customisation slot that allows you all the magic you want. You've proven that this was the basic form of customisation bro anything that sticks to any character that is the basic of customisation not trying to use strategy not trying to figure out how which class works with what you just roll all what you want into one character so they can shoot laser beams out their butt.
>>
>>386450129
You say customize but what you actually mean is how do I limit or summon everything to death.
>>
>>386450129
>That's not simplistic customization at all, especially compared to IX's laughable customization.
Yes it is it is the very essence of simple customisation you have nothing to work around you have no you have no point of having classes might as well just give them a sword and say okay and I'll learn all the magical abilities you want mr. Wizard. You just wanted to be like Kingdom Hearts. Don't like the idea of working hard or coming up with strategy you just want best spell for best character I'm done. There would be no point and having customisation anymore if you just gave them all the strongest attacks in the yet it's not customisation anymore its just give the strongest attacks to that guy
>>
>>386450129
>Please, don't make me laugh, half of the cast in FFIX is useless just like every Final Fantasy that doesn't have a cast of four playable characters, and like all FF the game is so piss easy you can complete it in any way you want with no effort, you don't even have to consider how terribly designed all the characters and abilities are.
You can live at your stupidity all you want just because you don't know how to play the game properly doesn't mean no one else knows how to you get to choose which party member you want to use the customisation is just different instead you would just rather use the same three characters and do nothing all these characters have meaning. They all have a part of the story just because you're an idiot you can't see that doesn't mean everyone else isn't able to see that.
>>
File: 345344.png (738KB, 1004x1116px) Image search: [Google]
345344.png
738KB, 1004x1116px
>>386448506
>>386449873
I wonder if she has a good taste.
>>
>>386451382
Yum.
>>
>>386450725
>That have special abilities that can attach to your character you moron
Wow, exactly like equipping GFs, except that GFs actually give you even more abilities.
>So you have the magical McGuffin equipment that does all you want while you micromanage in the other which is also called... Customisation!
Way to miss the entire point again, not like I can expect much from a redditor.
>All that customisation is customisation.
And it's less than FVIII or VII.
>That's a lot more customization than you bargained for isn't it
No, again, it's less than FFVIII or VII.
>You haven't proved anything other than there is one customisation slot that allows you all the magic you want
Wrong again, you keep on proving you haven't actually played FFVIII.
>not trying to use strategy not trying to figure out how which class works with what
>FF
>Strategy
Literally all FF have you mindlessly shoot laser beams out of your butt, FFIX is no exception.
>>386450753
Where have I ever implied that?
>>386450968
>You just wanted to be like Kingdom Hearts
No, I don't even like KH.
>Don't like the idea of working hard or coming up with strategy
>FF
>working hard
>There would be no point and having customisation anymore if you just gave them all the strongest attacks
Except that you can rebalance something as basic like that simply by having stat tables.
>>386451084
>because you don't know how to play the game properly
Wow, selecting attack and curing once in while is really difficult.

Now I really understand why FF creates people like XV-Kun, you're all terribly defensive idiots who don't even play RPGs, it is really telling your main concern is that games become "broken" when you have actual customization options instead of being forced to choose a handful of abilities on locked characters.
>>
Hey, autist-kuns, get the fuck off the thread, you are just making fools of yourselves.
>>
I feel like so many JRPGs are too long, honestly. Like, I love FF7 and have "played through" it at least six times, and yet have only beat it twice. I finally played Chrono Cross this month and I loved it at first, but I was just begging for it to be over by the end.
Chrono Trigger remains my favorite JRPG just because it doesn't overstay its welcome. I want games full of content, but some just have so much filler that they degrade the quality of the game.
Can't comment on FF9 itself, I haven't played it yet. And this is just my opinion, I'm sure people don't feel like they overstay their welcome and prefer them being 50+ hour experiences.
>>
>>386451920
>Can't comment on FF9 itself
You're going to hate FFIX if that's the case, especially since it's longer than other PS FF and has a lot more sidequests.
But yeah, the vast majority of story focused RPGs have that problem, you must really like soap operas.
>>
>>386451672
>Wow, exactly like equipping GFs, except that GFs actually give you even more abilities.
yeah customization

>Way to miss the entire point again, not like I can expect much from a redditor.
your problem is that you don't have a point everything has a different custimization specs, using magical draw to suck in what ever abilities makes in less customizing and more gotta gatch 'em all!

>And it's less than FVIII or VII.
Cramming all the abilities you want into one character isn't more customization, it's just being a whore sshoving all kinds of dicks in your mouth.>>386451672
>Wrong again, you keep on proving you haven't actually played FFVIII.
you literally said that there is an equipment slot for your magic, stop lying.
>Literally all FF have you mindlessly shoot laser beams out of your butt, FFIX is no exception.
the exception being you don't get to force your black mage to learn monk attacks and expect it to be a good monk.
As long as your favorite "whatever" hero gets the bestest spells it doesn't matter what you customize it with, just make him have the best magic, just because.
>>386451672
>No, I don't even like KH.
it's exactly like Kingdom hearts. You get your gimmick weapon upgrades, your magic you get to use and summon bahammut no bambi.
>>386451672
>Except that you can rebalance something as basic like that simply by having stat tables.
which 9 does just as effectivly. But wait why doesn't 8 or 7 or 6 or 5 or 4 or 3 or 2 or 1do stat tables? oh right because the all have different custimization procedures. You can do something similar with eight and seven by using magical macguffins. Guess what 9 does that too with equipment that you can turn on and off! Talk about customisation!
>>
>>386451672
>Wow, selecting attack and curing once in while is really difficult.
it seems to be for you since you just cram what ever heal ability into one throw away character.
Talk to me again when Final Fantasy 8 doesn't have a broken system. Tell me again how I couldn't just leave one character dead and level up the rest of my party to 99 no problem. Tell me again how I can easily break your own game to level up or to get any abilities I want or the boost my stats within the start of the game?
I don't give a shit about Final Fantasy 15, and basicall if you want to discuss the flaws of 9 then go ahead bit don't shit post like a retard because you juat don't like it. 9 has its flaws I have no problem noticing that. 9 is a bit slow the mini game sucks. How to say that there's no customization or little of it is wrong. Just saying that the characters are not memorable is also wrong way wrong. And finally the say that the story is terrible just because it doesn't follow your basic anime plot line is wrong as well. You may not like classic storytelling but a lot of peope 9 does it well. The characters all have prominent roles and do more than just be background characters. Proof of that is all the characters have a specific class. Each of them have their own unique design and characteristics and personality. You can see that when they go to separate towns. You are ignoring facts for the sake of your own argument.
>>
>>386451920
9 does the adventure and classical love romance thing.
>>
It's ok. The best thing going for it is that it came after FFVIII. Taking a step back from that shit and going to character specific classes was a good choice since it hadn't really been done since FFIV. Much of the story elements didn't live up to their potential though. The world didn't feel particularly memorable, and not because it went back to a more low-tech feel.

Characters were particularly mixed. Zidane was a fun protag that was a breath of fresh air, and Vivi and Steiner were great. However many of the other characters were poorly handled, like Freya, Amarant, Beatrix and Necron. Pacing also dragged on at times.

I'd say it was an 7.5 or maybe 8.
>>
>>386452571
>using magical draw to suck in what ever abilities makes in less customizing and more gotta gatch 'em all!
Draw literally only draws magic ammo and sometimes GF, what are you even talking about?
>Cramming all the abilities you want into one character isn't more customization
You can't even do that, you have limited slots.
Again, have you even actually played FFVIII? Or any other RPG for that matter?
>the exception being you don't get to force your black mage to learn monk attacks and expect it to be a good monk.
I don't expect him to be a good monk either, but I like the extra versatility and freedom of choice, seems to me you're the one who wants everyone to be good at everything and shoot lasers out of their asses, I'm perfectly fine with characters being mediocre at the cost of freedom, because that's what I like in RPGs, choice.
If FF was better designed you could actually create good hybrid classes too, but it's a mediocre series designed by people who have no idea what they're doing for people who don't like RPGs.
>just make him have the best magic, just because.
I don't care about my favorite hero having the best magic though, I care about the possibilty of my favorite character being able to fight however I want, despite how terrible he/she might be at something, which is what you don't understand. I don't care about making anyone a god, I care about being able to do SOMETHING other than the three preset commands.
>it's exactly like Kingdom hearts
Again, it's not, go play some more RPGs instead of sticking to FF, you might actually understand why people complain about it and IX being terrible games.
>which 9 does just as effectivly.
Except missing the whole point of customization since all characters are forever locked in their class.
>oh right because the all have different custimization procedures.
They really don't, not a surprise considering you haven't played them.
>>
>>386453091
>it seems to be for you since you just cram what ever heal ability into one throw away character.
So you just can't use items in FFIX?
>Talk to me again when Final Fantasy 8 doesn't have a broken system.
And FFIX doesn't? Are you serious?
>Tell me again how I couldn't just leave one character dead and level up the rest of my party to 99 no problem.
Like you do in all RPGs?
>Tell me again how I can easily break your own game to level up or to get any abilities I want or the boost my stats within the start of the game?
Is this supposed to be a bad thing?
>How to say that there's no customization or little of it is wrong
Whatever you say, it's a game with literally locked classes where characters can't even equip different weapons, the only thing with less customization than that is FFIV or stuff like Legend of Dragoon.
>Just saying that the characters are not memorable is also wrong way wrong. And finally the say that the story is terrible just because it doesn't follow your basic anime plot line is wrong as well.
I am not the anon you think I am.
But I do agree with him that the story is terrible and so are the characters, and FFIX is as anime as it gets.
>>
>You can't even do that, you have limited slots.
>Again, have you even actually played FFVIII? Or any other RPG for that matter?
oh you are limited? what ever happend to customizing?
>I don't expect him to be a good monk either, but I like the extra versatility and freedom of choice, seems to me you're the one who wants everyone to be good at everything and shoot lasers out of their asses, I'm perfectly fine with characters being mediocre at the cost of freedom, because that's what I like in RPGs, choice.
You do get choice, just because you can't make your theif summon bahamutt, doesn't mean you don't get a choice.
>If FF was better designed you could actually create good hybrid classes too, but it's a mediocre series designed by people who have no idea what they're doing for people who don't like RPGs.
yeah like you know how to make a game, don't talk like you know what to do when you don't even know how to program a game. you are just a faggot who thinks he knows how to make a game because he plays vidya
>>386453373
>I don't care about my favorite hero having the best magic though, I care about the possibilty of my favorite character being able to fight however I want, despite how terrible he/she might be at something, which is what you don't understand. I don't care about making anyone a god, I care about being able to do SOMETHING other than the three preset commands.
so you want to have your shit cake and eat it too?
>>386453373
>Again, it's not, go play some more RPGs instead of sticking to FF, you might actually understand why people complain about it and IX being terrible games.
they have the same premise only difference it's an action rpg. all the ff shit is in there even your "whatever" character.
>>
>>386453373
>Except missing the whole point of customization since all characters are forever locked in their class.
being in a class doesn't mean there isn't customization, you still choose abilities previlant to the character, like Zidane being a ladies man? He can an ability to protect all girls, just girls. Or you can choose your weapon that gives you a new ability or spell, that's customization. Just because you are stuck in a class dosent mean you still can't customize it. it's there, a thief is a theif and a black mage is a black mage, it's like this for the story but doesn't mean you can't custimiz you black mage to have haste or get MP back if he gets hit or uses melee attacks.
>>
Never played a FF, which do I try first? It's probably between 9 or 10, both on the vita.
>>
>>386453373
>They really don't, not a surprise considering you haven't played them.
now you are just being condradictiing for the argument, you have nothing to say here anymore. later.
>>
>>386454479
>>
>>386454479
you want highschool drama and non traditional fantasy? go 10
You want more traditional fantasy with classic romance, go 9.
>>
>>386451920
I dunno. I think FF7 can be pretty breezy. If you make your mind up not to sidequest you'll roll through it in 20-25 hours without trying to speedrun. Forget Vincent/Yuffie/Chocobos/Condor, just go to the next trigger. Same with FFX. There's incentives to dick around/search out nooks and crannies, but you never have to.

By those standards FFIX is still long. I've never done it,but I'd guess that a normally paced no sidequests run would be 35 ish hours.
>>
>>386454021
>oh you are limited? what ever happend to customizing?
One thing is being limited in how many abilities you can use from a pool everyone can access, another is being limited in how many abilities you can use from a character's locked skillset, brainlet.
>You do get choice
No I don't, Zidane won't learn chackra or use rods no matter how hard I try.
>doesn't mean you don't get a choice.
Except it does, I can't choose to make Zidane use magic or having Eiko steal shit, I can only choose what little locked options each characters have.
>don't talk like you know what to do when you don't even know how to program a game.
Actually I do.
>so you want to have your shit cake and eat it too?
Yeah, that's what actual RPGs are about, I'm sorry you can't understand that, then again, you don't play them to begin with.
>they have the same premise only difference it's an action rpg.
Oh yeah, Baldur's Gate, Metal Max 2 or Romancing SaGa 3 totally have the same premise, and are action RPGs of course.
Imbecile.
>>
>>386453787
>I am not the anon you think I am.
>But I do agree with him that the story is terrible and so are the characters, and FFIX is as anime as it gets.
you are an idiot then if you don't think a highschool made to make soldiers and a retarded gunsword isnt more anime than a classic Victorian kindom waging war on another kingdom.
>>
>>386451920
You know a great game for this? Suikoden I. Kind of janky nowadays, but it's a super direct game. Even has an actual difficulty curve scaling from total farce to actual danger in the endgame. You could do everything, EVERYTHING, in less time than it takes to finish a final fantasy.
>>
File: 20160530194722_2.jpg (159KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
20160530194722_2.jpg
159KB, 1280x800px
>>386454479
Would recommend either on the pc.

The loading times are fucking pure suffering on vita/ps3. Camera spins for like 30 seconds for every monster encounter. On the pc I've done 5 battles in that time.

Also best girl.
>>
File: BrahneCanary.jpg (13KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
BrahneCanary.jpg
13KB, 240x240px
Who else played this game as a kid and pronounced Queen Brahne as "Queen Brain"?
>>
>>386454778
>you are an idiot then if you don't think a highschool made to make soldiers and a retarded gunsword isnt more anime than a classic Victorian kindom waging war on another kingdom.
Where have I ever said that?
Also
>FFIX
>Victorian
You have no idea what Victorian england was about.
>>
File: Steiner1.jpg (16KB, 217x203px) Image search: [Google]
Steiner1.jpg
16KB, 217x203px
>>386454905
>Also best girl.

>mfw she's trash in FFBE
>>
>>386454695
>One thing is being limited in how many abilities you can use from a pool everyone can access, another is being limited in how many abilities you can use from a character's locked skillset, brainlet.
except most of those abilities transfer over to other classes you autistic fuck. you would know if you played the game.

>Except it does, I can't choose to make Zidane use magic or having Eiko steal shit, I can only choose what little locked options each characters have.
>my white mage/summoner can't use steal! why can't I make the game do what I want! Why can't I make my knight into blue mage? I can't customize at all except specific AP abilities I ignore and change my party I want to ignore.
The whole point of having these characters is so that you can customize your party rather then rely on the same characters. That's part of customisation.
>>
>>386454695
>Oh yeah, Baldur's Gate, Metal Max 2 or Romancing SaGa 3 totally have the same premise, and are action RPGs of course.
>Imbecile.
What kingdom hearts has your squall and also you can't use Bahamut or Bambi in that game. I want to fight Squall with Dumbo and Donald Duck and Goofy. With the same abilities that's squall has.
>>
>>386454695
>Yeah, that's what actual RPGs are about, I'm sorry you can't understand that, then again, you don't play them to begin with.
Just because you like to eat shit doesn't mean everyone else does.
>>
>>386455092
>Where have I ever said that?
here
>>386453787
>>
>>386455092
>You have no idea what Victorian england was about.
I said Victorian, if you havent looked at the aristocratic characters running around then there is no helping you.
>>
>>386455157
>except most of those abilities transfer over to other classes you autistic fuck.
Oh yeah, except the ones that actually matter.
>The whole point of having these characters is so that you can customize your party
Wow, like every fucking RPG ever made, truly a lot of customization in here.
>>386455316
What are you even talking about.
>>386455356
>Just because you like to eat shit doesn't mean everyone else does.
Oh yeah, a FF can truly afford to say that actual RPGs are shit.
>>386455413
Where did I ever even mention FFVIII having a better plot or characters than IX.
>>386455587
So, aristocracy has only existed in the Victorian age?

Jesus, you people are beyond saving, you'll go at any length to defend a shitty game, no matter how stupid it makes you look.
>>
>>386455768
>Oh yeah, except the ones that actually matter
well if you want easy mode then play another game, which is sad because 9 is pretty easy>
>Oh yeah, a FF can truly afford to say that actual RPGs are shit.
have you played 13?
>Where did I ever even mention FFVIII having a better plot or characters than IX.
first off I never accused you of that, second I accused you of saying that 9 was more a weeb like anime than 8. So stop trying to move the goalposts anon. You are done.
>So, aristocracy has only existed in the Victorian age?
I said this where? I said Victorian style, and the aristocrats in game used it. I don't know why you are back peddling so much anon but I think you ran out of steam.
>>
>>386456260
>well if you want easy mode
I don't want easy mode, I want an actual RPG.
>have you played 13?
The game where you can't even control your party members and have to run in corridors for a good half of the game, yeah I did, wish Tri-Ace saved that garbage by starting off with LR instead, possibly by having more freedom during development too.
Though it did a few things well, magic was one of those, sadly it was a one time only.
>second I accused you of saying that 9 was more a weeb like anime than 8.
Using buzzwords again? Generic Lodoss fantasy scenarios are somehow less weeb than sci-fi ones now?
>I said this where?
You said the game was Victorian because there's aristocracy in it.
>I said Victorian style, and the aristocrats in game used it.
How? The game has nothing to do with actual Victorian aristocracy or themes, if you weren't an ingnorant underage you'd know.
>I don't know why you are back peddling
I'm not a peddler, luckily I have a good job, you must really cure your English if you want to look smug on 4chan, son.
>>
>2017
>people STILL trying to justify that Necron was foreshadowed and that if you "read between the lines" you could predict it

Face it, NOBODY saw necron coming their first playthrough, kuja should have been the final boss
>>
>>386456791
>Using buzzwords again? Generic Lodoss fantasy scenarios are somehow less weeb than sci-fi ones now?
you are comparing Tolkien style of anime to highschool drama where gf and her magical witchpowers in modern times. Ok I'm clear now, you have no idea what is a weeb.
>>
>>386454905
Is there art of her and her spats?
>>
>find chocograph
>cool wonder where it is
>"sea"
>Location : ????
>>
>>386456791
>You said the game was Victorian because there's aristocracy in it.
no I said aristocrats. I was specific in pointing out characters on what they were wearing not thier association with their society.
>How? The game has nothing to do with actual Victorian aristocracy or themes, if you weren't an ingnorant underage you'd know.
The clothes and style in alexandrai, you got caught being an idiot and now you are moving the goal post to save face.
>I'm not a peddler, luckily I have a good job, you must really cure your English if you want to look smug on 4chan, son.
Says the back peddling peddler, you want to talk like a big boy don't join in a thread and shit post for no reason.
Really all you've done was say I like customization where I get what I want, I don't like story, and I don't like characters, while at the same time contradicting yourself. We are done you can go.
>>
>>386457014
>highschool drama
Where?
>where gf and her magical witchpowers in modern times.
Outside of your garbled english, you do know that that kind of scenario has been a thing since the 80's, do you?
>you have no idea what is a weeb.
A Weeb is someone of non japanese heritage who thinks Japan and Japanese cultures are the best in the world and that Japan is a paradise, that's what a Weeb actually is, if you weren't a fucking underage newfag you'd know.
If I say that Lodoss did fantasy better than any western fantasy I'm as much as a weeb as those who like "highschool drama" as you say, which is a thing in the west too by the way, just to make an example, Smallville or Dawson's Creek were exactly that.
>>
>giving up on 7,8 and 9

They're literally the gold-standard of JRPGs, if you can't finish them, JRPGs aren't for you
>>
>>386457497
>Where?
I thought you played ff8
oh wait ... you were just shit posting gotcha
>>
>>386457497
holy shit this much butt hurt.
>>
>>386457497
jesus man, good god.
>>
>>386430446
The Legend of 90s
>>
>>386436743
>an forces you to make tough decisions about who stays on standby to throw potions
Not really since even by that early point in the game you can have auto potion on most of your party.
>>
>>386457491
>I was specific in pointing out characters on what they were wearing
No, you weren't, you literally backpedalled on that later and they still look nothing like Victorian aristocracy.
>The clothes and style in alexandrai
That look nothing like Victorian aristocracy, unless you think Victorian ladies wore jumpsuits and 20th century wedding dresses.
>Really all you've done was say I like customization where I get what I want, I don't like story, and I don't like characters, while at the same time contradicting yourself.
You have a feeble grasp on reality, no wonder you can't even make a decent argument.
>>386457560
Where is the highschool drama?
Seifer bullying Zell and Squall? You don't even spend more than four hours at best in the garden.
Go play SMT: If... or Persona if you want actual school drama.
>>386457687
>>386457753
Nice arguments.
>>
>>386457949
>No, you weren't, you literally backpedalled on that later and they still look nothing like Victorian aristocracy.
no I didn't now you are making shit up, >>386454778
this what I said first>>386455587
then this, I never said england, you did, I never said the aristocracy, you did I said aristocrats. I never mentioned england and aristocracy only being in one time place, you did.
Stop being retarded.
>>
>>386457949
>here is the highschool drama?
>Seifer bullying Zell and Squall? You don't even spend more than four hours at best in the garden.
>Go play SMT: If... or Persona if you want actual school drama.
bullied squall, first part of the game is to have a lesson with teacher, you can't be this dumb.
>>
>>386457949
>That look nothing like Victorian aristocracy, unless you think Victorian ladies wore jumpsuits and 20th century wedding dresses.
ok so you didn't play 9 good to know
>>
>>386457949
good enough to get you so mad
>>
>>386458471
Come back when you can write sentences that make logical sense, and study some history while you're at it.
>first part of the game is to have a lesson with teacher
That's literally an introduction that ends in a minute or two, again, you spend a negligible fraction of the game in the gardens and what little time you have there has barely any school stuff or drama at all.
That's not even remotely in the same league of games like Persona or Valkyria Chronicles 2, I can't believe I'm even defending FFVIII on this point.
>>386458621
>ok so you didn't play 9 good to know
I actually did, please point me out to some document where I can see the design similarities of Garnet or Queen Brahne to typical Victorian attires.

Or rather, don't, I spent enough time discussing with morons who have no idea what they're talking about, I should have learned from XV-kun to not waste time with FF faggots.
Thread posts: 376
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.