[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did they manage to make it so fucking fun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 12

File: kick messiah.jpg (35KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
kick messiah.jpg
35KB, 460x215px
How did they manage to make it so fucking fun?
>>
>When Ubisoft made good games
>It will never get a remake
why even live
>>
They went wouldn't it be neat if X?
and then put X in the game

>tfw no oblivion style/size game with dark messiah combat
>>
>>386407918
At this point in history, I don't see why anyone would want remakes. It's not the early 2000's anymore.

Remakes mean, DLC, Microtransactions and possibly cut up content to be resold as DLC.

It wouldn't even be the same experience. Even if the game was almost identical, part of a game's experience is in how it is delivered. How your first experience with it is when it releases, whether you have to see shitty "DLC STORE" icons on the Main Menu or Pause Screen or "Now Checking Downloadable Content..." trash. You didn't used to have your experience completely shattered just to remind the player that there is more bullshit they want you to buy.

I mean even RE Remake Remastered is a lesser experience for having more Loading screens and notificiations that check online and other bullshit. Not to mention those windows are completely broken away from the menus the game used in the past. They don't even fit the style of those games that was trying to be portrayed.
>>
File: cri.png (249KB, 568x590px) Image search: [Google]
cri.png
249KB, 568x590px
>>386408341
I should've said "sequel" instead of remake. Nothing's actually wrong with the game as it is, and it's not particularly lacking in visuals tbqh
I just want a gem like Dark Messiah to get the love it deserves
>>
>>386407784
I think a lot of it comes from its absurdity. Fantasy world where most enemies can be kicked off ledges or into spikes. Having enemies play by a consistent set of rules means tactics won't disappear. You're always given a number of physics objects and traps for each encounter. Moving feels pretty good and the first person legs look and feel good. Audio cues make sense like enemies begin screaming if fallen far enough to die.
>>
>>386407784
I've never played this. Downloading it now. What am I in for?
>>
>>386407784
Just finished it for the first time today. For me it drops in quality a bit at the end but no game I've played has had a better sense of progression. You start out as this little bitch barely able to fight a slow ass zombie or bumbling guardsman. Eventually you're chopping through lich and cyclops alike with ease.
Sareth's journey is fantastically well done in terms of power scaling. Like how some of the best equipment is in chapter 7 when you realized and were empowered by your demonic heritage.
>>
>>386409737
It's fun, get used to using the environment to your advantage.
>sneaking through an enemy encampment
>see 2 enemy soldiers
>throw one box at them
>the floor collapses under them and they die
Fun as fuck
>>
>>386409737
Good game. Play on all low if you get crashes.
>>
File: 123123.png (82KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
123123.png
82KB, 500x255px
>>386407784
What the fuck is with the resurgence of this all of a sudden.
Did a bunch of underage faggots see one of their favore youtube reviewers talk about this or something?

I am legit curious as to all the "oh my god its so good/first time" shit with this lately.
Did it hit some sale on steam i didnt see and people bought it for a dollar or something?
>>
File: 1483615485193.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1483615485193.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>386413248
I'm going to blame last night's succubus thread and the webm's that started showing up in the make Skyrim good threads.
>>
>>386413248
It gets brought up pretty consistently on /v/.
It's not a new thing.
>>
>>386413761
Its mentioned, not that consistently. Not until recently.
And there has been a larger amount of "first time playing" and other similar things. That is what is making me wonder what happened.

This game is old enough that to see a spike in talk/popularity about it makes me wonder how it was brought up.
>>
Lmao this game is fucking garbage. It could have been really good, but it isn't. It has a terrible story, terrible voice acting, and terrible presentation. The combat has "variety", but it feels flat and clunky. The ragdoll physics are nothing short of autism. Worst of all, there are dozens of game-breaking glitches around every corner. It's the most unpolished turd of a game I've ever played. It has a certain charm to it, and it draws you in initally, but once you sink enough time into it, the flaws start becoming more and more apparent. This game pisses me off even more than a normal shitty game, because it had such immense potential and fills such a unique void, but it throws it all away and laughs in your face.
>>
File: Xana.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Xana.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>386413248
Are you new? /v/ has always loved this game and it is mentioned regularly.
>>
>>386408341
>Remakes mean, DLC, Microtransactions and possibly cut up content to be resold as DLC.
No it doesn't
>>
SWEET DRAGON'S BLOOD!
>>
>>386409737
A kickass experience.
>>
File: xana2.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
xana2.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>386414281
Xana is cute
>>
>>386409737
Two hours of fun followed by a dozen hours of aggrevation and disgust.
>>
>>386407918
>When Ubisoft made good games
Ubisoft only published it, Arkane made it and now they're on Bethesda's leash so you know they'll never do anything innovative again.
>>
>>386409737
>use ice power to freeze ground and cause hijinks
>continue to use the power till end of the game
>>
>>386413248
i played it when it came out and recommend it whenever possible. i was pissed as fuck when steam updated the ui and the official dark messiah skin was unusable.
>>
>>386414250
>ragdoll is autism
What the fuck man. The presentation was pretty damn good back in the day desu, and some of the darker indoor areas still look quite good.
>>
>>386415165
It's only aggravating on the hardest difficulty because Ghouls can kill you almost instantly so it's a big game of kiting and grabass.
>>
>>386409737
Have fun playing The Adventures of Sir Kicksalot in a Land of Conventionally Placed Spikes
>>
>>386416262
You mean Dying Light?
>>
>>386407784
>tight combat controls (although enemies get a bit spongey on the harder difficulties, forcing you to exclusively use death pits and spike racks over swords)
>fun and campy, fairly generic and shlocky fantasy characters/story that takes itself seriously enough to be charming but not so seriously to be bland, with some actually interesting twists.
>xana's flirtatious and sarcastic dialogue ("Acting tough for the *other* pretty girl now, are we?)
>tight, well paced linear level design that never overwhelms you with bland choice (like a skyrim or farcry) or is too overtly on-rails with quicktime events every 5 seconds (like a call of duty). It's like half-life 2 with swords.
>fully embraces it's gimmicks, has a lot of fun with the physics engine without holding back. Was revolutionary back then, and is charming and nostalgic now (and is just a good gameplay mechanic either way)
>comfy and immersive first person animations/levels (like when you operate a blacksmithy)
>Perfectly adequate graphics. Clearly very videogamey, but nothing looks *bad*.
>xana's breasts
>enemies ragdolling off of ledges
>"HEY PAL"

Only real complaint is that there isn't any more of it.

That and the ghouls. FUCK ghouls.

>>386413248
People have always been having threads about this game. It's a /v/ favourite.

>>386414250
>The ragdoll physics are nothing short of autism
what
>>
>>386416262
>not the adventures of the Slip 'n Slide wizard
>>
by adding kick
>>
>>386415191
His point still stands
>When Arkane made good games
Nothing they made since then was good. Dishonored is glorified AssCreed with majicks, and NeoPrey was generic as fuck.
>>
>>386416489
>Not Slip n' Slide Sorcerer
>>
>>386414234
So what if some people are playing it for the first time? How is that bad?
>>
>>386413248
please never post again
>>
>>386416536
Dishonored is Dark Messiah in a different setting with more focus on traps and abilities over melee. I honestly have no idea how someone can like Dark Messiah but dislike Dishonoured because they both have the same appeal.
>>
File: slip.webm (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
slip.webm
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>386416489
>>386416551
Ice patch is good shit
>>
File: usami.png (357KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
usami.png
357KB, 720x720px
>>386416551
Well shit, now I feel silly.
>>
The combat animations add a lot to the game.
>>
>got the game when it was released
>it had multiplayer
>no traps in multiplayer
>no spiked in multiplayer
>no kicking in multiplayer

It could've been the best multiplayer game ever.
>>
File: 1451194628319.jpg (17KB, 512x336px) Image search: [Google]
1451194628319.jpg
17KB, 512x336px
>>386416645
I have not said its bad, im curious as to the rise of new people playing it is all.
Like i said, this game is old enough now that to see all this "first time playing" talk makes me wonder what spawned it.
Yes, /v/ talks about this game from time to time and likes it, but not until recently has it been filled more with the people just now finding out about it.
>>386416646
Awww, too late.
>>
>>386416647
dishonoured also opted for big sprawly levels over tight linear levels, and is primarily a stealth game rather than a swordfighting game

Honestly I don't get what's so similar about them other than maybe detailed levels and armed guards with repetitive dialogue.
I love them both to death but they satisfy completely different itches.
>>
>>386416647
It has extremely poor enemy variety and the game is trivialized by utilizing blinks, which is even more overpowered than kicking. I went in expecting DMoMM meets Thief and got a theme park game with truth be told some damn good level design.
>>
>>386416986
They're both kinda like combat sandboxes that encourage and reward creative play by giving you a lot of cool tools to play around with. Dishonoured is more focused on stealth, traps and abilities, true but I think at its core the spirit is the same. I mean take a look at this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKyT19o-Nl8
Sure this is heavily rehearsed but you can still do a lot of this type of wacky shit without going autistic if you wish, and when you do that's when the game is most similar to Dark Messiah.
>>
>>386417040
Dishonoured 2 has a "no powers" mode where you tell the outsider to fuck off the end of your dick. Definitely turns it into much more of an actual stealth game. The game has a lot of mechanics that are kind of invalidated by magic powers. I don't think I ever peeped through a lock at any point after unlocking the magical vision power (which was literally 15 minutes into the game and the second power you can get) but in now powers you have to use it all the time.

If you wanna add in doing no kills then it becomes like a proper thief game. (They add a whole bunch of stuff to it that makes nonlethal actually worthwhile in 2)
>>
File: CrypteRoomColor2.jpg (307KB, 1000x719px) Image search: [Google]
CrypteRoomColor2.jpg
307KB, 1000x719px
>>386416958
I like the game with an autistic passion and use any chance I see when browsing to post about it.
>>
>Play Dark Messiah
>"Wow this looks beautiful"
>"Kicking stuff is fun"
>game progresses
>spider cave
>"ok, so that spider cave and boss was pretty annoying, but I'm sure it'll get better!"
>zombie crypt
>"holy shit, that was fucking abysmal. a fucking maze with respawning enemies that spew poison at you. Jesus christ that sucked."
>those gremlin motherfuckers come in and do a bunch of damage
>they come in groups, and normal attacks do fuck all damage against them. Even charged attacks aren't great.
>basically forced to spam invincible magic shield to get by
>constant small issues and annoying enemies throughout the experience, even kicking felt like it was greatly nerfed after the first few levels with it only just barely stunning enemies, if that.
>that fucking orc boss fight where I entered it with minimal HP and couldn't heal or anything without making them all angry
>"is this because I'm a melee build? Would magic and bows be better?"
>later realize how shitty even top tier bows are
>magic is also apparantely the same in a few regards

how the fuck would people beat this shit with bows?
>>
>>386416958
>>386413248
Actually, I have noticed a few new people playing it this year. Of the people I follow and watch occasionally Tagg played it, then Robbaz, and then Jerma
Robbaz has a pretty big audience, and so does Jerma
>>
>>386417295
When I think of Dark Messiah what always defines it for me are those long, linear levels, which are like this adventure/journey you go on, while dishonoured's missions are always kind of spread over two sprawling zones that you can peruse at your own pleasure.
Combat can be creative in both but dishonoured is always more about abilities and equiptment while dark messiah is always about the environment.
>>
>>386417791
I don't think you're really supposed to have a "build", for the most part. It's not really an RPG.

You use whatever you need for the situation.
>>
>>386417948
>>386417791
Or pick stealth and watch as things bump into you and not notice you're there.
>>
> we will never find a healslut (male) and form an autism party with me chucking barrels/crates
> with
>>386416262
> kicking people
> and
>>386416489
> turning the battlefield into an ice rink

Adventures are ogre...
>>
>>386417791
>spider cave
Fleeing for your life with rope arrows was one of the most fun parts of that game.
>>
>>386417948
Some promotional material and commercials would show multiple builds followed by the message don't choose you're all of these. They embraced this as a silly murder simulator around when the Xbox version did a thing.
>>
File: Xana_DM.jpg (23KB, 350x447px) Image search: [Google]
Xana_DM.jpg
23KB, 350x447px
I played it very recently.

I didn't find it fun, so 1/4 of the way through I turned on God mode and finished the game just to see how the story would end.
>>
I truly love the base combat and mechanics of the game, but man is everything else pretty shitty.

Where the fuck is Hellraid? I want a modern dark messiah
>>
>>386421243
Well It's difficult getting kills when you first start because you don't know how to play the game. Towards the end it's this kick ass action adventure game when you start to learn how to kill.
>>
>>386407784
This game doesn't even fucking run for me and i have windows 7. what is wrong?
>>
Why the fuck does gog still not have this?
>>
>>386421884
Ubisoft own the rights and they are trying to push their own awful steam competitor still.
>>
File: crushing fbi girl.gif (432KB, 300x580px) Image search: [Google]
crushing fbi girl.gif
432KB, 300x580px
>>386407784
Lots of fun tools to kill people with like slip n slide ice spell or kicking

God I love kicking in video games more games should implement it
>>
>>386421338
Development is "on hold". It was looking fantastic, I don't know why they stopped.
>>
Every time I tell myself I'll replay the game with a different build but end up going to the same build and playstyle.

Still fun every time.
>>
I want to play this game but the spiders are hella scary
>>
>>386425692
I hear there's a mod that turns the spiders into pigs.
>>
>>386409737
Don't play it on harder difficulty, it's pretty pointless that way.
>>
>>386417948
you can't max out everything, and even then, a bunch of the upgrades you CAN get only come in fairly late game. You're basically forced to pick a build if you don't want to suck shit for 80% of the game with low tier abilities
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.