[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we fix Open World Base Crafting Survival Games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Gendo_Ikari_by_Darthval.jpg (75KB, 800x570px) Image search: [Google]
Gendo_Ikari_by_Darthval.jpg
75KB, 800x570px
How do you propose such a game be done correctly?
>>
Stop having literally all of them be gritty realistic looking games. Also stop having almost literally all of them be unfinished early access schlock for 12 year olds with their parent's credit card. Minecraft, as divisive as it can be, probably wouldn't have been as memorable if it was a bland as fuck looking game visually like every game in its style has become today.
>>
>>386387081
I enjoyed the flat shaded look of Long Dark and Firewatch. I wished there was actual base building and decorating (hang heads of kill etc.)

Wish there could be more focus on hunting.
>>
File: 21320033._SX540_.jpg (31KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
21320033._SX540_.jpg
31KB, 540x304px
>>386386812
Extremely hostile world.
Lots of mechanics, on par with modded minecraft if possible (either tech, magic, or fuck it, both at once)
The possibility of making a fast transport network or even a moving base. Whether this takes the form of trains, teleport gates, complex translocation rituals or full on Mortal Engines (pic related) style moving cities it's up to the player.
Lots of stuff to do and many ways to tackle it, take the good parts of procedural generation and say "FUCK IT!" to realism, floating islands, end-of-the-world drops and a even more bizarre place beyond.
Make it so that you want to go out, get your ass kicked, want to find other players to set out, succeed where you previously failed, get your asses kicked again and come back for more to go that one meter further into the unknown.
>>
>>386388642
How about a My Summer Car-Style mech game with high stakes on death?

As in, you actually perform maintinence and mechanic stuff and piece rogether repair parts piece by piece?
>>
>>386388642
Why do any of this when you can shit out a clone of another ea open world survival game, get obnoxious streamers to give you millions in free advertising, and make a killing?
>>
>>386388986
Eh, that is still quite rooted in reality (unless you ditch Armored Trooper Votoms and instead go for stuff like Getter Robo), plus depending on how detailed the simulation is you will need a MONSTER of a server to keep up.

>>386389125
Because i want (wish) for a good game that i can enjoy too?
>>
>>386386812
You can't, emulating every part of a realistic open world setting makes the game tedious and they prioritize those mechanics over everything else.
>>
File: latest.jpg (512KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
512KB, 1920x1200px
>>386389676
What if the mechanics themselves were fun? Like mini games instead of waiting for a white circle to fill up for collecting/manufacturing.

Personally, I was thinking ripping off Moon Base and adding a harsh fail state. But not like Subnautica. More like Factorio in 3D.

Not sure how well it would be recieved.
>>
>>386386812
Make the setting something unique... not just "Earth". The hype of No Man's Sky tells you everything you need to know about making the big hit in the genre.
>>
>>386390090
They would have to not get old and give you little bonuses for doing a good job.
>>
>>386390090
>What if the mechanics themselves were fun?
A Tetris mini-game to fill your bag with rocks?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.