[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's wrong with MGSV

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 15

File: MGSV.jpg (124KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MGSV.jpg
124KB, 1920x1080px
Never played a MGS game before, & I had V on my account so I decided to try it out. I have to say this shits pretty fun, why does /v/ not like it?
>>
>>386381283
Trailers portraying the game wrong, lies, misuse of budget, empty open world, terrible fucking plot for a Metal Gear game, and overall one of the most disappointing games of all time
>>
>never played a MGS game before
That's part of the problem.

The biggest issue for the fans of the series is that the game is literally, no joke, unfinished. It was rushed out pre-maturely, and that has resulted not only an entire chapter being cut out of the game, but many planned features and scenes being now missing or greatly altered.
The beginning is the best part of the game, as it was more or less finished, but towards the end you will have to deal with literal copypasted filler missions, stare at endless real-time timers on developed items, and even waste time playing around with shitty MP elements that are integrated to the SP as well.

MGSV was meant to END the series (once again; see MGS4), and also "close the cycle" between these prequel games and original MG-games. As it is now, however, it doesn't really do good job at anything.
And that's not all. The MGS series is known for its innovation and "TECHNOLOGY", for being some of the least "generic" games out on the market. But what does MGSV do? Plays like a generic open-world SHOOTER, with open maps full of nothing.

tl;dr: Why the fuck would anyone START this story-driven series with the LAST, most underwhelming game in the series?
>>
File: 1491696481456.gif (529KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1491696481456.gif
529KB, 480x360px
>>386381283
we were lied to, they said it would be a metal gear game, instead it's a splinter cell in open world.
While the gameplay is the best in the series, the plot is only good for the shitty memes without any of the memorable characters and cheesy lines the series is known for.
Even as a non-metal gear plot, that shit is only memorable for Quiet's ass
>>
It came out around the same time as Undertale, so it was completely overshadowed.

I don't think I've met anyone who has ever even played MGSV.
>>
>>386381953
>Why the fuck would anyone START this story-driven series with the LAST, most underwhelming game in the series?

It was in my inventory, & I felt like playing something new that's all.
>>
>>386381283
I liked it but I didn't like the open world or how the final missions are a shitty fight with tanks and the beginning mission again
>>
>>386382297
and that's exactly why you don't hate it, unlike /v/ who played the games before
>>
>>386382123

and feet mate, don't forget the feet
>>
>>386382262
this is either a bad b8, or there are some absolutely bizarre places on this planet I've not heard of... nor do I want ever to visit.

>>386382297
Yeah I wouldn't do that.
Not only is MGSV a very direct sequel to Ground Zeroes, the short "demo game" that was originally meant to be TPP's introduction chapter, but also continuation of the prequel stories started by MGS3 and followed by PO & PW. Plus it assumes you've played the first game(s) in the saga too, as there's lots of references, foreshadowing and "this is how it all actually began" kind of scenes.
>>
>>386382403
Also I played ground zeroes before playing the phantom pain and I hoped it would have more larger bases like camp omega but it didn't
>>
>>386382574
I think I have the legacy collection for 360 on my shelf, I guess I'll play through them. The series has always looked interesting, I never had the time...
>>
File: 515.gif (745KB, 300x203px) Image search: [Google]
515.gif
745KB, 300x203px
>>386382540
wat? even as a disgusting footfag myself, i fail to recall any tarantino moments in this game
>>
>>386382262
I did. Started the series with MGS and liked it. Though I go into games with no expectations unlike /v/ who seems to remember 4 and PW as god tier games apparently expecting the best story line and gameplay the series could possibly offer
>>
File: MGS Legacy collection.jpg (142KB, 960x569px) Image search: [Google]
MGS Legacy collection.jpg
142KB, 960x569px
>>386382747
>I think I have the legacy collection for 360 on my shelf, I guess I'll play through them
Legacy Collection was never released on 360, only on PS3.

FYI, Legacy =/= HD Collection.
HD Collection came out first, and only has MGS2, 3 and Peace Walker. It also has the original, 8-bit Metal Gear 1 and 2 playable via MGS3's main menu, but NO Metal Gear Solid 1.

Legacy Collection consists of the HD Collection, plus MGS4 + download code for MGS1.

MGS4 is still PS3 exclusive.
>>
When does the game actually start getting "bad"? I'm still in Afghanistan but I'm enjoying myself so far. Also I've played every main series game plus peace walker. I actually enjoy the base building aspect of the game since it's literally just the same system from PW.
>>
>>386383658
when skullfuck arc ends and they still try to go full WOOOOOOO on your ass
>>
The game isn't finished, mainly in the story department. I still think it has the best stealth gameplay I've ever seen, but storywise it was a pretty big disappointment.
>>
File: 1501551461540.jpg (26KB, 411x495px) Image search: [Google]
1501551461540.jpg
26KB, 411x495px
>>386381283
It can be easily fixed:

Remove the "Chapter One" page. Keep "Prologue" but when it says Chapter One: Revenge, just change it to "MGSV: The Phantom Pain" or something. Change "Chapter 2" to "The Phantom's Epilogue." Add a couple off-line FOB inflitrations as easybake end mission DLC and some more Dispatch Quests that involve taking out nukes and unlock the "Peace" ending by completing them all.

Fixed.

Kaz's speech at the end of Chapter 1 isn't a bad ending but the game makes you think that what you just played was just the rising action and it's about to get even better. Despite Episode 30's OKB Zero being the best part of the game and 32+ just being more missions and some psychological trauma for Venom and Kaz. It'd still be nowhere near the strongest game in the franchise but at least people's expectations would be tempered some and they could appreciate more what just transpired.
>>
>>386381557
/v/ are such huge babies about this, yet try to sell me PW as one of the best in the series so why should I listen?
>>
>>386383658
>When does the game actually start getting "bad"? I'm still in Afghanista
The moment you leave Afganistan.
You will see and feel it, believe me.

I actually adore PW, but MGS5 was nothing but a soulless, half-assed imitation. It's amazing how a mere menu with rotating background image ended up feeling more homy in PW, than the entire, pointlessly stretched out and copypasted 3D map in TPP.
>>
>>386383658
The issue, aside from pre-release trailers overhyping the story, is that they call Episodes 32-46, which more or less tie up loose ends, "Chapter 2: Race," when it's all little more than an epilogue. Just remember that once you get to the first end credits the game is mostly over, all that's left is to wrap up some of the game's character arcs and uncover the final Truth.
>>
>>386381283
>stupid intros for every mission
>base building means fuckall
>haha dude what a tweest I'm big boss and so are you wow how blown is your mind lmao
>huge lack of decent/memorable boss fights
>2nd chapter dedicated to replaying missions but with the difficulty increased a bit
>wobachia
>copulation
>male to female female to male
>sahalantropoopoopuss looks like a even cooler version of Rex until it stands up
>WORDS THAT KILL
>Major, I'm burning uuuuuup!
>open world
>buddies
>>
>>386383109
Man, I wish I got that edition instead of the regular.
>>
>>386384060
What was even the point of MB in MGSV? I remember seeing animals on the base in promo material and there's not much to do besides CQC soldiers or wait a few minutes to drive from one end to the other
>>
>>386384693
You still can buy it. It's not an "edition", but a whole different set.

>>386384701
It practically has no other "uses" than to take a shower once in a while, and to trigger certain story cutscenes.

There's none of that base-customization we were promised, you do not get to see and meet the main cast members in the base, and besides that ONE (1) kinda hidden room, you don't even get inside the base itself.

Totally wasted opportunity... or rather, rushed project that didn't get all its cool stuff in place.
>>
>>386384060
Man I kind of like going back to MB and having my doggo and my men greet me.
>>
MGSV is a good game, its what got me into the MGS series and I love the games, it's a bit lacking in some places. but as an entry into the metal gear franchise its a fucking joke with the lack of story and the open world feels a bit forced
>>
>>386385190
it's kinda neat for the first 10 or so times. Then you start to slowly realize that no matter how much the base seems to be under progress, it never truly evolves anywhere, remaining as an empty husk for all eternity.

No messhall or sickbay to go and check your chilling & reviving guys. No R&D lab to go awe your weapon collection. No Slaughterhouse to test your funs. No Control Room to go chat with Kaz and Ocelot & do some planning for base shit and upcoming quests.

Nothing.
>>
Game plays like a dream but a lot of the content and story is forgettable or just outright bad. Not to mention the fact that the game was marketed as Big Boss' descent into villainy and then it turned out he'd just fucked off somewhere else and you were actually Massive Medic all along
>>
File: IMG_1875.png (174KB, 329x298px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1875.png
174KB, 329x298px
>>386385703
>mfw the whole animal reservation area
>mfw watching the e3 demos and seeing that base come alive
>>
>>386383658
After mission 13. Africa sucks HARD and its first mission (mission 13) is the only good one. But you can play until mission 22 to unlock FOB playing (although its kind of dead now)
>>
Just sad, the gameplay is fantastic but after Ch. 2 the game just fucking nosedives into copy paste missions and trying to unlock shit like a mobile game.
>>
>>386386747
>After mission 13. Africa sucks HARD and its first mission (mission 13) is the only good one.
The airport mission/location is one of the better ones in MGSV though. Dunno why people think Afghanistan is free of filler. Both maps are garbage apart from the highlight locations.
>>
>Never played a MGS game before
>I have to say this shits pretty fun, why does /v/ not like it?
Gee, I fucking wonder.
>>
>God tier
A Hero's Way
Pitch Dark
Code Talker
>Great tier
Over the Fence
Where Do the Bees Sleep
Backup Back Down
Blood Runs Deep
The War Economy
Retake the Platform
Skull Face
>Good Tier
Red Brass
Occupation Forces
Angel With Broken Wings
Cloaked in Silence
Rescue the Intel Agents
Voices
Metallic Archaea
Sahelanthropus
Cursed Legacy
A Quiet Exit
>meh & shit tier
everything that isn't there
>>
>>386381283
/v/ overreacts to anything. I've been playing Metal Gear since the NES days; V was a bit of a disappointment but the series has seen much worse. Even unfinished the game was still better than 4 and Peace Walker. Had Konami and Kojima gotten their shit together and finished the game properly it could have been one of the best in the series.
>>
>>386388336
Another oldfag who started with NES MetalGears, you are full of shit and nothing else.

PW was miles superior to this shit, and as far as I'm concerned, the REAL "MGS5" game, which it was actually meant to be originally.
And hating MGS4 is just so fucking old by now. It too beats V in every single detail except lighting and polycount.

Hell, even Ground Zeroes, a thing people love to call a "tech demo", was better game than TPP! And no, it does not help to speculate what could've been, since it never was and will be.
>>
>>386388336
>/v/ overreacts to anything.
I think the problem is that /v/, after all, is full of youngsters. Only them can get hyped like that for vidya anymore. I remember being ultra-hyped for MGS2 at the time and feeling an utter sense of disappointment after finishing it. What happens then is that both older and younger people play these games 10 years later and find that they weren't bad (ones because they've tempered themselves; the others because they didn't live the hype). But of course the young ones are going to get hyped as fuck for new things.

This is the real red pill: those who feel disappointed probably played MGS4 or 3 as their first one.
>Another oldfag who started with NES MetalGears
well let's think there are people in their 40s browsing this site...
>PW was miles superior to this shit,
anon, lying in the internet is bad

I mean, I can understand people being disappointed by V, but I won't ever comprehend how they defend that piece of shit called Piece Walker just to shit on V.
>>
>>386381283
It's a massive lie. The trailers gave the impression of the downfall of Big Boss and how Zero/Skullface caused this. Instead we got an unfinished spin off game. Bravo Kojima.
>>
>>386388985
Both Peace Walker and V are shit. I often go back and forth as to which one is worse. The story was already complete, and we didn't need more bullshit prequel additions to further butcher the characters and gameplay.
>>
We're all buying Metal Gear Survive right?
>>
File: 1471058309900.jpg (177KB, 488x600px) Image search: [Google]
1471058309900.jpg
177KB, 488x600px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK7SeYf8zxs
>>
File: 1449091081209.jpg (166KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1449091081209.jpg
166KB, 1920x1080px
MGSV was a disappointment hurt by last gen limitations and Konami shenangians but it's also incredibly missunderstood.

The game is basically a critique of how we love to glamorize bad people and revenge, as well as our obsession with shifting the blame and finding scapegoats instead of trying to be critical of our own shitty behavior. Kojima basically took your classic revenge story and just presented it in the most anti-climatic manner possible to make a point. Stuff like Skullface being an underwhelming villain is very much intentional and the game is generally just about painting shitty people in a very uncool manner.

This making for a good story is questionable but it's typical Kojima bullshit as usual.
>>
>>386381283
The story is utter trash, as are the characters, the villain just shows up near the beginning, once in the middle, then at the end of the first chapter, having achieved nothing and done nothing other than make a cripple piss himself.
The gameplay is streamlined to the point that it's too easy. Just click one button to knock out an enemy, headshots are near impossible to miss with any gun, enemies are basically braindead, and the open world is just fucking empty, and the only way to leave it is to lose all your unsaved data, or waste 5 minutes waiting for a helicopter.
Animal collecting is a bore and a waste of time, about 5 useful weapons and one of the interesting shit like a Psycho Mantis doll or Solar Gun. The side ops are mostly 'Defeat Enemy Group that has tank/armor/helicopter/etc.', and the main missions amount to what a side op should've been.
The boss fights are just bullet sponges that need no thought to defeat, and the entire second chapter is an unfinished mess with only 2 missions that actually matter and about 50% of it is retreads, including one of the two missions.
It's the worst game in the series and doesn't deserve nor needs to exist
>>
>>386381283
Peace walker theft auto doesn't feel like a proper mgs game.
>>
>>386387953
>Code Talker
>God Tier
I guess it was God Tier in comparison to MGSV, but it is dogshit. Infiltrate a mansion, walk down, watch a boring cutscene then go through an unskippable forced walking segment.
>>
THEIR SINS NEVER DIE
>>
>>386389791
stop shilling this shit video in these threads
>>
>>386384010
pw was portrated as it was, had a massive amount of content and replayability, a great story and exceeded all expectation
>>
>>386389986
The actual revenge scene was so good it took a deliberate jab by Kojima via Huey to spoil the mood. It was incredibly satisfying before that. Revenge kicks ass.
>>
>>386388679
The first two acts of 4 were good, but everything after was awful. Even the forced nostalgia wank of act 4 was poorly done.

PW is an okay portable game but it is still far below every other MGS. The AI is the worst the Solids have ever had, and the levels do not accommodate for that. The controls are trash and the bite-sized missions are lazy. It also had hands down the worst bosses in the series. And as bad as V's plot is, it has nothing on Hot Coldman and singing vocaloid robots.
>>
File: Geco-MGSV-Quiet-Statue-006[1].jpg (248KB, 1500x2100px) Image search: [Google]
Geco-MGSV-Quiet-Statue-006[1].jpg
248KB, 1500x2100px
Everything about Quiet. What a fucking trainwreck of a character. The fact that you can kill her without any noticeable story consequences goes to show how pointless her addition was to the game.
>>
needed more variety in level design/mission objectives, needed non retarded boss fights, needed less a focus on stupid FOB shit
those are my only real gripes with it, story wise i'm pretty fucking over Metal Gear now, good controls and a lot of things to fuck around with made it a blast to play until the monotony sets in
now I just want to see the fox engine in something new since that is definitely the best part of the game
>>
>>386392835
you can kill quiet?

how
>>
>>386393607
by pulling the trigger
>>
File: 1501191359486.jpg (28KB, 500x265px) Image search: [Google]
1501191359486.jpg
28KB, 500x265px
>>386392835
>>
>>386393607
The long moment of Venom holding up the gun to her unconscious body wasn't an awkward cinematic pause. It was giving you the option to shoot her.
>>
>>386393607
When you beat her in the sniper battle mission. You get the choice either to blast her tits off or take her back to base. The most interesting thing about her entire storyline is that Kaz is basically begging you to shoot her and Ocelot is doing the opposite.
>>
>>386393895
>>386393949
Holy shit didn't know that. I'm going to go do that because quiet is fucking shit.
>>
I've been a fan of MGS since the "first" one on PSX. Replayed 1, 2 and 3 several times over. I love MGSV and I consider it on par with MGS3 in terms of quality and my personal enjoyment of them.

If I were to replay any of the MGS games tomorrow, it would be MGSV.
>>
>>386383658
The Honey Bee mission. It's mission where a seriously retarded plothole occurs, and the plot will start gradually going downwards from there.

>lel honey bee
>STINGER
>get it
>>
>>386394218
how to spot a retard
>>
File: 1351683482303.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1351683482303.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>386385410
>MGSV is a good game, its what got me into the MGS series
>>
>>386381283
The gameplay is fun but the story is fucking retarded, not in the typical way an MGS story is entertainingly retarded, it's just plain fucking dumb and hollow.
>>
>>386394273
>being this much of a faggot
>>
mgs fans worked themselves into massive hype and proceeded to have a hissy fit when it didn't meet their fantasy
>>
>>386394218
This desu

Literally the best gameplay out there
>>
>>386394549
You don't have to be a MGS fan to see that TPP fell short of GZ.
>>
what is the weapon to surpass metal gear?
>>
>>386395014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RFRHM4OjC4
>>
>>386381283

Story, which is an integral part of the entire series and the main reason you play the game, absolutely sucks

However, unlike other MGS games, that doesn't matter here because the gameplay is absolutely selling point.

Except /v/ hates anything radically different and want to ignore this and use the HURR EMPTY OPEN WORLD excuse

It's also literally the same situation with Zelda
>>
>>386394821
By "gameplay" do you mean "controls"?

Because the stealth mechanics are never challenging.
>>
>>386394920
GZ had better mission variety relative to the amount of content and that's it. You fags overrate the shit out of Camp Omega. It's poorly designed.
>>
>>386395351
Take marking and reflex off and it's every bit as challenging as the other games.
>>
File: 1463412556741.gif (1012KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1463412556741.gif
1012KB, 250x250px
>>386395014
>>
>>386395014
Infantry with rocket launchers usually, a cardboard tube could probably take out ultimate jobber ray
>>
File: 1391904205703.jpg (6KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1391904205703.jpg
6KB, 184x184px
>>386389986
>The game is basically a critique of how we love to glamorize bad people and revenge, as well as our obsession with shifting the blame and finding scapegoats instead of trying to be critical of our own shitty behavior.
There's no revenge to be had anywhere in the game, it's a race over who is more incompetent between Skull Face and Venom. The former lets Venom go like three times and ultimately kills himself by banking on a plan that doesn't even make sense on paper, and the latter just runs around without being able to do any substantial damage to XOF's operations. All he ultimately does is just shoot a dying man (acting triumphantly, no less) a few times before Huey finishes him off, when moments before he was at his mercy and got saved entirely by accident. I don't have to explain why this is bad writing, right?
>as well as our obsession with shifting the blame and finding scapegoats instead of trying to be critical of our own shitty behavior
Venom behaves like a saint, gives education to former child soldiers and tries to shield them from the war as much as he can, etc. There's nothing in the game that actually reinforces what you've said, other than Venom going along with the plan to run Outer Heaven and being BB's phantom.
>Stuff like Skullface being an underwhelming villain is very much intentional and the game is generally just about painting shitty people in a very uncool manner.
He's not underwhelming, he's straight up retarded given his plans and actions in the game. Which is sad considering how Ground Zeroes ends up painting him as a bonafide professional.

Looks like you're trying to find depth and being misunderstood in something that's just badly written. Kojima clearly didn't care when writing this, which is why I don't know why people are so fast to give him credit.
>>
>>386381953
hideo jewjima needed more money,
>>
>>386395425
Absolutely not. Even if you take those off you still have to deal with the fact that the massive area levels and low NPC count make it incredibly easy compared to the smaller and more dense areas in the other games.

>>386395393
Why is it poorly designed? For a start, it's more dense (in regards to NPCs, vehicles, turrets,etc) than any TPP level. Secondly, the missions are more layered than TPP (in GZ the order you do rescues alters the level, Anti-Air side-op transforms from a destruction to an escape mission, Intel mission has a deceived or genuine outcome). And on top of those in purely physical terms there's nothing wasted, no empty areas, each part of that map is a practical location.
>>
>>386395527
Watch "Parasitic Legacy" it's a good summary on MGSV's themes.
>>
>>386381283
Menus after menus, worthless building up motherbase unless you like PvP BS. And oh more menus to and from missions 40% of the time I played was in menus. ugh.
>>
>>386396423
Read this text >>386395527 posted by this anon and reply to his points instead of running away to an "authority".
>>
>>386381283
I agree that it's fun, but it's so far detached from the other games it's ridiculous. While I was playing it I enjoyed it, up until I realized that chapter 2 was literally nothing and chapter 3 was never coming out. The gameplay is solid and in most cases that's all that should really matter, but with it being the final installment in a series known for it's outrageous amount of cutscenes, batshit plots and characters, with interesting codec calls and boss fights, the game ended up being very underwhelming. After the Quiet fight you expect more boss fights, while there's literally only one other in the game and it's not even Skullface or The Burning Man.

Not only that, but it was supposed to bridge the gap in the timeline, Metal Gear 1 and 2, along with Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 4 are all set after the events of MSGV, while Metal Gear Solid 3 and Peacewalker were set before it. It was supposed to show how Big Boss/Naked Snake went from being the hero of the third game and the leader of MSF to the villain of the original two Metal Gear games. It didn't explain that at all. I mean, maybe a little at the end, but Venom certainly didn't fall into demon and Big Boss was barely in the game. It actually kind of fucked with the timeline a bit by having Liquid and Psycho Mantis (two villains in the first MGS game) fly away with a strand of that parasite virus and the most advanced Metal Gear to be seen in that time. I can't believe he just flew off with Sahelanthropus and then it's never even mentioned again, the next time you see them is in the first Metal Gear game and it has no relevance to the events of V

I did enjoy it however, it was wasted potential is all.
>Dark Souls II
>Phantom Pain
>FFXV
I have to stop falling for the hype.
>>
>>386387953
>Where Do the Bees Sleep
One of the few missions I had to retry for the S rank, it was so damn long but I loved it. I kind of expected there to be more long missions like that but nope.
>>
>>386396567
Why should I waste his and mine time when there are people who can word themselves much better than I can?

Stuff like Venom acting like a saint is perfectly addressed in that video. There's no point in me parroting it.
>>
>>386396684
>>Dark Souls II
Dark souls 2 is infinitely better then this game.
>>
>>386391401
Nah. That sounds like TPP again.
PW was trash and let me know that Kojima really stopped giving a shit
>>
>>386394063
I did it first time because Miller is a bro and Quiet is a bitch who tried to murder you while you were trying to recover in hospital.

>>386392835
>without any noticeable story consequences
I didn't even know I was missing anything until mission 45 didn't appear and I didn't get the achievement for S ranking all of them. I had to painstakingly rescue her then get her bond up just so I could do that stupid mission.
>>
Its unfinished. Every other metal gear did an aspect differently. Stealth, stroy, atmosphere, gameplay online.

Its a good game.

Its a bad metal gear
>>
>>386384570
>intros spoil the entire mission.
So fucking stupid.
>>
>>386396820
>>Where Do the Bees Sleep
>One of the few missions I had to retry for the S rank
This is one of the easiest since all you need to do is land the chopper into the actual base then sprint to the honeybee and back, then sprint out of that base.
>>
>>386397118
>Miller is a bro
He used to be a bro, now he's a whiny bitch with very noticeable post war syndrome that should not be in front of an army
>>
>>386381283
Really an unnecessary game in terms of narrative, also I did not like the online stuff. They should have closed out the series with a version of MGS3 that tied up all the loose ends from previous games. That said, I do enjoy MGS3 and MGSV from a gameplay standpoint.
>>
>>386396423
Three minutes into the video and he says that V "suceeds in cementing the contrast between Big Boss and the Boss". He's right, but all TPP shows on that front is just that Big Boss doesn't care about avenging MSF and doesn't concern himself with letting people in the line of fire just so he can be safe. He does it with Venom, he does it with the people in the hospital, he does it with Diamond Dogs to a degree and so on. The problem is, we've already known that shit. The poetic irony was originally introduced in MGS3 and by the time that game concluded you knew that he becomes a hypocrite who ends up sacrificing Solid Snake in MG1, when the Boss was the exact opposite and would rather die for her country and people. Done - anything else after that point is a re-tread that's more or less completely pointless.

He then has to resort to the tired, completely misplaced argument that "everyone who disliked V wanted to see Big Boss become an insane person through war crimes"' that /v/ likes to perpetuate all the time, except in a less direct manner. It doesn't bode well for the rest of the video.

As a side thing going back to what I wrote about BB sacrificing Diamond Dogs: this would've been true had Kojima actually bothered to portray DD's as an actual army that's in any danger of dying to XOF, all they serve as in TPP is a glorified logistics force that patrols Mother Base, worth keeping in mind that even Portable Ops and Peace Walker manage to show their military groups engaging the enemy actively and bailing Big Boss out - I guess writing Code Talker was more important.

>>386396880
You know that Snake Soup pretty much shat all over TPP when it first came out and called it disappointing, right?
>>
>>386396886
Dark Souls II was a bit of a let down to be honest, I did play the shit out of it and it was enjoyable as hell, but there were a few very questionable design decisions and it just played so differently from the first two souls games that it was a bit of a shocker on release.

>>386397260
It's been a while since I played it, but I just played through it like I did every other mission, full stealth non-lethal, I remember getting right to where the honeybee was then getting seen so I restarted it, that's why I remember it being so long because sneaking all the way through that level can take some time.

>>386384570
>buddies
What even was the point? I don't think I used any outside of D-Walker for that airport mission.
>>
mgsv thread?
are there any (currently working) mods that unlock the dlc content?
>>
>What's wrong with MGSV
Everything except Venom rejecting Quiet, it's one of the only stories in the game that's complete.
>>
>>386397776
>You know that Snake Soup pretty much shat all over TPP when it first came out and called it disappointing, right?

Yeah, naturally I would never do such a thing.
>>
>Boot up my old save file after not playing for 2 years
>They added lots of new weapons and higher grades
>You need Unit levels of like 130 to develop most of them
>My save has almost 200 hours and my highest unti level is like 78

jfc how do you even manage some of this shit? Grind endlessly or just git gud at FOB?
>>
File: 1371116425482.jpg (22KB, 331x330px) Image search: [Google]
1371116425482.jpg
22KB, 331x330px
>>386398682
Watched the rest of the video. He does end up making some interesting parallels, like between how the ending of V is a pessimistic reverse of 2, or how in a game about "parasites" the true BIg Boss ends up being one of them, however its portrayal in V ultimately is nothing new and nothing that really needed to be said.

It's like, instead of showing us a true downfall of Big Boss and how he ends up perpetuating the delusion that a world filled with war is something great, he just reuses a plot point from a twenty-year old 2D game and then removes Big Boss from the plot. Even Peace Walker, a half joke game with missions where you hunt dinosaurs, told us more about Big Boss than V did.

Not gonna lie - the video made me like V's narrative a bit more, especially on an overarching meta level - how Venom is trapped in a hypocritical world behaving like a fanboy and mimicking actions that his ideal version of Big Boss would've taken all the while getting used by him, but in the end its nothing new.

And again, going back to my previous autistic point - while I believe that the whole Venom twist (while unecessary on a meta or a literal level) is acceptable and explained within the narrative of the game, the game still insults your intelligence with everything happening in Chapter 1. Skull Face MAY have been written intentionally to be underwhelming, but it doesn't excuse the shitty writing. Nor does it excuse ruining Miller's character for the sake of him being mad about MSF, and a hundred of other things in the plot. I stand by my opinion that a bulk of V is just badly written, that's all. If Kojima really did a good job he would've paid as much attention to the other characters as he did to trying to make another version of MGS2 and a meta commentary on a fanbase that he can no longer provide a great game for.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.