[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This IS Video Games: Read On

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

In 1898, the Georges Melies film "The Astronomer's Dream" came out. It is one of the first films ever. Smaller films existed before but for easy math I selected this one to represent the beginning of film.

In 1958, Tennis for Two was created in what is often considered the first video game.

So, if we do 2017 - 1958, we see that gaming is about 59 years into it's medium.

So 1898 + 59 = 1957

The top film in 1957 was "The Bridge on the River Kwai:" a story of POWs captured by the Japanese and forced into hard labor to build a bridge, while the Allies plot to blow it up.

That long into the medium of film, filmmakers were creating works the caliber of "The Bridge of the River Kwai"

What is "The Bridge of the River Kwai" of gaming, in 2017?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (184KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
184KB, 1280x720px
>>
shit comparison really cause video games didnt really exist until 15 years after your example
>>
>>386356914
Obviously Puyo Puyo vs Tetris
>>
>>386357173
I think it's fair because neither did film - The Astronomer's Dream was only like 10 minutes, was never screened in what we call movie theaters, etc.
>>
Wouldn't it be easier to say what is the GOTY this year?
>>
>>386356914
Tetris.
>>
>>386357306
Not really - mostly what is a top contender for GOTY that is comparable, in whatever way, to The Bridge Over the River Kwai.

Idk man, just a discussion idea. Would you rather talk shit about anime girls and
>enemies can open doors
thread all summer?
>>
I'd say there are a lot of better films from '57 than Kwai.
>>
>>386357274
you would have a better comparsion if you started at 1900, when films became commercial, and 1972, when the first commerical video game came out, which gives you 45 years instead
>>
>>386357523
Movies and vidya are two different mediums. As The Bridge was the top movie in the 59th year of movies, asking for the equivalent of The Bridge in vidya, especially punctuated by the added "in 2017" from the OP, makes it seem like you're asking what game is the top game during gaming's 59th year.
By then it's just asking for the GOTY.
>>
>>386357978
What I'm saying is is the what you consider Best of the 57th year in Gaming as good, comparatively speaking, as the Best of the 57th year in Film was?

If so, what would be the game most comparable?
>>
>>386358147
comparing films to video games is brainlet tier, you sound like an extra credits video
>>
Nier Automata
>>
>>386358339
CHRIST, did you forget to take your autism medicine or what?
>>
File: kwai.jpg (290KB, 962x745px) Image search: [Google]
kwai.jpg
290KB, 962x745px
>>386357769
Madness
>>
>>386358147
Your first sentence was atrocious, but I think I get what you mean. However, you can't make me choose from the Best of the 57th year in Gaming, since that implies there are more than one Best Game of the 57th year which defeats the purpose of being the best.
>>
>>386358412
It's pretty good though. I don't Lean very much apart from Brief Encounter. He just ain't for me.
>>
>>386358552
>I don't Lean very much apart from Brief Encounter.
Ah so you're one of those people. That's fine, I respect that

But what would you put as the best film of '57?
>>
>>386358397
cringe
there's plenty of overrated jingoistic games with stiff acting out there op
>>
>>386358397
comparing video games to movies is one of the most cancerous ideas in the video game industry and if you do it you're fucking dumb
video games are fundamentally different, they're made differently and consumed differently
most of the 'top games' of the year were made years ago and are still being played
>>
>>386358650
Ha. Looking at the stuff I've seen, probably Night of the Demon. Big Tourneur guy, and that's probably his best horror film. Lots of great stuff from 57 though.
>>
>>386359263
ahh man love night of the demon. one of my dad's favourite films
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.