[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your dream setting for a Total War game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 11

File: TotalWarFree-banner.jpg (111KB, 762x350px) Image search: [Google]
TotalWarFree-banner.jpg
111KB, 762x350px
What is your dream setting for a Total War game?
>>
>>386348635
Tamriel
>>
>>386348705
Woah, that's pretty good.

I would like something more modern, similar to Company of Heroes. Ideally if they could pull of a WW1 setting where you'd still be able to make use of the map and movement where it's fun. I think WW1 is a setting which would slow down the combat enough to make it more Total War.
>>
>>386348990
THIS
>>
Might and Magic

It would be like Warhammer except even more detached from reality. Just fuck everything up to the max and have armies of golems, treants, elementals, liches and hellspawned demons.
>>
>>386348635
Maybe warhammer, I dunno.
>>
>Lord of the rings
>Full world Napoleon era
>Arcanum ie steampunk
>>
File: Sargon_of_akkad.jpg (85KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Sargon_of_akkad.jpg
85KB, 900x900px
>>386348635
Iron age mediterranean.
I want to play as isrealites fighting babylonians and nephilim giants and have the god's fireballs perk with cool down
>>
>>386348635
I will never again buy a total war game after Rome 2, so it does not matter.
>>
>>386348990
>I would like something more modern, similar to Company of Heroes.
try the Wargame series, then. It's the closest thing there is to a modern-era Total War.
>>
>>386350698
I'll check a look.

Do you think the ww1 setting could work for total war? I imagine the way it would work is you'd have defensive and offensive battles. You have to research to upgrade to running and creep barrages and gas. Small battles for just capturing trenches and larger ones with multiple trenches for a fort.
>>
File: Robert_Edward_Lee.jpg (152KB, 800x1184px) Image search: [Google]
Robert_Edward_Lee.jpg
152KB, 800x1184px
>you will never command the confederate army in a victorian era total war and beat the yankees back to New York
>>
Victorian era, no question.

Empire is shat on a lot, but it's a really good fucking solid game. The trading/resource mechanics are very fun. A total war that goes through the industrial revolution would be so great, especially if they use the diplomacy/ruling mechanics they introduced in attila.
>>
>>386351384
Totally agreed. Empire with DarthMod or others is great fun and with polish in a second it could be the best in the series. I always thought the most interesting element about the industrial era would be the race for the iron ship. How about you?
>>
>>386348635
How about instead of dicking around with different settings, they make a game with decent ai and controls?

Why can we still not select individual units as if they were zerglings? How does it make sense for units on opposite sides of the fray to be grouped together?

I feel like you fight the clunky mechanics more than you actually fight the opposing army.
>>
>>386351507
Nigger darthmod doesn't hold a candle to minor factions revenge.
>>
>>386351584
Does it flesh out the unit cards of the minor factions? Does Italy become a viable power?
>>
>>386351265
go play ultimate general: civil war
>>
>>386351912
It actually addsa bunch of unique units that aren't just copy paste line infantry units for one, small nations like the Knights and Denmark are given a lot of polish and the AI is also improved a fuck load, you can start in 1700 or in 1789 the latter letting you play as nations like Mexico.
>>
File: TheRealOne.gif (10KB, 1024x614px) Image search: [Google]
TheRealOne.gif
10KB, 1024x614px
>>386351265
>"I'm to jewish to actually pay whites a wage for manual labor so I'll import slaves to do it for free even though their decedents will cause chaos for whites in the future. But I got mine so fuck em'.
>>
Total War: The Religious Wars would be great. Roughly 1600-1700AD, era of the 30 Years War. Pike and shot, pillaging and rape, Catholics vs Protestants, tons of mercenaries being the norm. It's the setting Berserk is based on.
>>
>>386351048
the mechanics of Steel Division, the "follow-up" to Wargame, would be perfect for an RTS that's set in WW1.

>dynamic frontline
>the phase system
>spaced reinforcements
>leaders
>surrenders
>overpowered artillery
>dice-based penetrations
>disconnected ground and air games
all amazing innovations to move the Wargame formula back a hundred years.

They designed the perfect World War 1 game, while working on a game that's set in WW2. I honestly can't tell if that's incompetence or brilliance.
>>
>>386351584
>>386351507
I really think Imperial Splendour is better than DME, in theory. It's just.. unfinished and broken. Very buggy. It'd be 10/10 otherwise.

DME is very good, though. A little bit too much autism with unit variety and names, but still really fun.

>the race for the iron ship.
literal orgasm dude, sailing around with an ironclad btfo'ing entire enemy fleets would be so much fun. One thing shogun definitely did right.
>>
>>386348635
Middle earth or Warhammer
>>
File: 1489768509515.png (947B, 416x454px) Image search: [Google]
1489768509515.png
947B, 416x454px
>>386352678
>wanting to play alternative history
>Automatically a jew

Wow imagine being this autistic
>>
>>386348635
Warcraft after WC3
>>
>>386351384
Empire is mostly shat on because it had a terrible release and there wasn't enough variation through the factions with the endless waves of clone line infantry
>>
>>386353519
/pol/ was a mistake
>>
>>386353891
not to mention shit things like all of France being 2 fucking provinces

>>386353945
True that m80
>>
>>386353891
I understand the release being bad, and I agree it was.

But Empire has more unit variety than any other TW.

It always really bothered me how people praised Shogun 2 when it was literally ashigaru: the game
>>
>>386354042
>2 province france

It's the capital of the region, sure, but there are VERY MANY towns, settlements, and other various resources dotting france.

It's not easy to just walk up to paris and take it, you have to play the attrition game when invading france
>>
>>386355485
Hey, I also liked Empire. Especially the naval aspect of it, ship battles and trade routes and so on.
>>
>>386355485
>>386355712
Also, the tech tree was really fun in how specific technologies improved your units on the battle map with upgraded firing drills and so on, really sweet.
>>
>>386355621
You really don't man, as the Brits you can land a decent force early on and siege and take Paris all within like 2-5 turns from the start of the invasion.
>>
>>386355829
>researching socket bayonets
It was satisfying ordering your men to affix bayonets and charge with plug bayonets, but they look cooler with the sockets imo.
>>
couple thousand years before Rome:Total War focused around Mesopotamia maybe including greece definitely including egypt and IDK how far east but the further the neater

I just wanna play Sumeria right now
>>
american civil war
considering they just announced their plan for the series to be "we're releasing games that build on the history of earlier titles (read: reuse assets)" i can see this actually having a chance of existing
>>
Historical? WW1

Fictional? game of thrones
>>
>>386356287
House Lannister would be fucking broken.
>>
>>386355946
Yeah I usually stayed with plug bayonets because it was satisfying and I don't really the bayonet look tbqh

Another cool thing was hiding behind walls and inside buildings even if it was pretty buggy, felt like the terrain had much more of an impact. Too bad the AI was crap as usual, even if it was fun to see them run into canister shots from your cannons.

It was also cool to set up a three level firing line with light infantry + line infantry + light dragoons

Comparing with Napoleon I think things got worse in the sequel in some aspects honestly just because they wanted to streamline it. For example, units no longer had fire by rank and cool things like that, all just fired simultaneously as I remember it.
>>
File: Slaanesh chosen.jpg (41KB, 570x781px) Image search: [Google]
Slaanesh chosen.jpg
41KB, 570x781px
>>386348635
Warhammer, but with proper Chaos armies.
>>
>>386348635
Would love to see a total war about the crusades, capturing Jerusalem as a goal or something, having an army of fanatical zealous Templars ready to rip and tear would just be so bad ass. Warhammer 40k made into total war could be cool too, or Lord of the Rings.
>>
Bronze Age Mesopotamia
Three Kingdoms China
Warring States Period China
Renaissance to the Thirty Years War Europe, with the Americas and Africa there
Scramble For Africa
Genghis Khan
>>
>>386356513
wait for the 3rd game.
>>
>>386356594

Med2: Kingdoms got a crusades campaign, additionally you can always reenact a crusade from the start by you know, starting a crusade in med2.
>>
>>386353519
The Confederates defended Jews, as well as Jewish practices like nigger trading, so you get the idea.
>>
>>386356383
How so? Their army was raised up only in a single generation.
>>
>>386356907
They would get all the economic bonuses, rivaled only by the iron bank.
>>
>>386356847
I only ever played Attila and Warhammer, is Medieval 2 really any good? Should I buy it? Is it better than the above mentioned? Every time I see gameplay videos of it looks really slow paced
>>
>>386357116

It's got the best mods out of all Total Wars for sure, there is everything from historical overhauls to fucking Zelda.

I dont know what it costs these days, but if you're unsure/feeling cheap wait for a sale, should just be a couple bucks then. It's worth a try atleast, considering it's manys go-to total war.
>>
>>386357402
Thanks!
>>
>>386357116
It's.. aged. Not well or badly, just aged. The engine/camera feels ancient.

If you do play, make sure you play with Stainless Steel.

As always, diplomacy and AI is goofy as fuck.
>>
I already got it with Warhammer. But I guess Lord of the Rings next.
>>
>>386357402
Best mods but terrible base game. So fucking buggy and shit and god damn broken. If they could make Medieval 3 with the quality of Warhammer it'd be great. Sadly I doubt Medieval 3 will happen.
>>
>>386356878
It's funny how racists hate blacks despite the fact that white plantation owners bought them. But you'll never here them complain about that.
>>
>>386348635

30yw
>>
>>386356287
Boring
>>
what are the chances of the total war games going on sale on Thursday?
>>
Warhammer with complete factions, I'm sure we will get almost factions in the game (dunno about nippon and cathay tho)
Mahabharata might be cool, I can see untapped potential behind this.
>>
File: 65[1].jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
65[1].jpg
60KB, 312x445px
Magic: the gathering
>>
Definitely China or Thirty Years War.

I remember hearing there being some issue with them not being able to make a game based around China. Or was that Crusader Kings?
>>
File: IMG_1753.jpg (24KB, 314x161px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1753.jpg
24KB, 314x161px
First Crusade. Play as the Roman Emperor (called Byzantine by retards)and destroy the Turks and kill all of the barbarian retard crusaders
>>
File: kingdom-4235423.jpg (162KB, 728x1041px) Image search: [Google]
kingdom-4235423.jpg
162KB, 728x1041px
Hit me up with the Kingdom tribute
>>
>>386360909
>east """""""""romans"""""""""
>>
>>386348635
The nordic wars.
>>
>>386361137
Western Empire no longer existed at the point (not counting the barbarian tribal confederacy), thus it was the only Roman state in existence, the "Eastern" part is no longer necessary.
>>
>>386361628
if the byzantines were romans then finland is the current rome, due to imperial russia being the heir to orthodoxy and then finland being heir to imperial russia
>>
>>386361976
Not a continuation of the Roman state. Read the The Byzantine Republic by Anthony Kaldellis to get a better understanding.
>>
>>386361102
Complete with ridiculously overpowered generals?
>>
>>386362557
We'll of course, and only getting good enough to beat them will make you a great general yourself
>>
Total War doesn't work so well with modern warfare (WW1/2+), just because of how maneuverability works and how conflicts occur over entire fronts rather than singular pitched battles
Nonetheless, I'm all for a 17th Century Total War: 30 years war, piracy/colonialization in the New World, and then Asian is all astir with Sengoku Jidai/the Japanese invasion of Korea. It features a good amount of tech because the nice part of Fall of the Samurai is the combination of rifles, melee, and unique cavalry options.
>>
I really don't know, they've already really covered every era of combat except WWII infiltration style warfare and post-modern asymmetric warfare.
>>
>>386359179
What percentage of the American population do you think actually owned slaves?
>>
>>386348635
Realistically? WW1. Unrealistically? some weird alt history with a really weird set up.
>>
>>386350556
You said that after empire
>>
>>386352678
>even though their decedents will cause chaos for whites in the future.

Slave owners thought they were making an investment in the future. They expected them to stay slaves and their children to be their masters. Its the norths fault this happened.
>>
American civil war would be a cool setting, but I assume some people would not find it in good taste
>>
>>386348635
Legitimately Warhammer 40k. The way Total War works could very easily have lore accurate Space Marine, Ork, and Eldar numbers in both how strong they are compared to each other, as well as the number of units they field in their armies. You could actually have lore accurate battles with Orks or the Imperial Guard winning through sheer numbers alone rather than OP weapons and armor. You could have Space Marines field a maximum of 1000 units at once since that's a chapter's maximum unless you choose a cheeky chapter like the Black Templars.

Every faction would e en function extremely differently from each other on the tactical map, with Guardsmne andOrks actually capturing shit on foot while Space MArines and Eldar coming in from orbit and webway gates.

All of this with more unit variety than all Dawn of War games combined.

Too bad GW would never allow it.
>>
WW1 but it is impossible to make so Medieval total war 3.
>>
>>386350556
Shame, Attila and Warhammer have been their best games yet.

Even Rome 2 is bretty decent after years of patching.
>>
>>386367954
>Legitimately Warhammer 40k
Will never work. WH40k needs a Wargame: Red Dragon type of adaptation to be good. Fuck basebuilding, fuck any sort of economy bullshit, give us a simple requisition points system that can be used to buy units and a good singleplayer campaign with a set number of requisition points for each mission, so that the player can customize the army they want to field.
>>
>>386348635
Although I really want WW1, it'd be pretty hard to keep things the way Total War typically does tactical battles. WW1 was kind of the biggest departure from definitive battles with obvious tactical victories resulting in definitive wins. And we also don't have the computing power to generate 10s of thousands of men per side, alongside giant maps to account for the 8-10 mile range some of the naval guns and big arty pieces could shoot from.

I would absolutely love to see it, but we aren't there yet.

I wish Attila DLC continued for just a couple hundred years more to cover the rise of Islam, but preferably I'd agree with >>386362986
>>386352749
that we still need 17th century Total War and Victorian/Civil War/Napoleon the 3rd getting raped Total War
>>
>>386352678
next time you should make sure to send them all back after you finish freeing them. it's the only logical answer since the vast majority of citizens (all throughout the country) didn't want them to be equals or to integrate into society. they should have been forced out. i mean, look what we did to the native americans and compare that with the slaves and you'll see how much better we treated them. we had nowhere to send the natives so we just herded them together. the blacks had a choice (liberia) and most of them said "naw, i ain't going on no goddamn boat"
>>
>>386348635
azeroth
>>
>>386348635
Aliens vs. Predator
Naval battles = space battles with predators
Seige mode = survivor mode
>>
>>386361976
Byzantines weren't heirs, they were literally one half of Rome. They didn't magically stop being half of the roman empire.
>>
File: 30_year_war.jpg (217KB, 780x481px) Image search: [Google]
30_year_war.jpg
217KB, 780x481px
>>386348635

30 Years War
>>
>>386357053
Tyrells are richer.
The Lannisters would have negative diplomacy traits and low loyalty for generals. They could also have a feature like the Dwarves' grudges but instead it is debts
>>
>>386348635
Warhammer 40k
>>
>>386348635
Fallout, unironically
>>
>>386356287
>game of thrones
literally the same as regular medieval total war but with a different map? Boring as fuck
>>
Medieval 3 would keep me happy. Ideally a full world map. Even more ideally a world generator akin to Civilization with it.

Fuck these fantasy games.
>>
>>386369015
This or the Italian wars. Great Northern War would also be top tier material.
>>
>>386351265
I want southniggers to leave
>>
>>386348635
Age of Mythology: Total War

Basically Warhammer but Mythology
>>
Historical

A small expansion game of the Trojan Wars.
>>
>>386370049
>Ideally a full world map

Please not, smaller compact world ala FotS works better. You would need a shitload of work to keep it decent or sacrifice depth.
>>
>>386368287
Meh, I still think Medieval 1 was the best game even though Rome 1 had the best modding scene.
>>
>>386348635

>Victorian era 1850-1900
>>
>>386369015
Three Kingdoms China and just more Asian wars in general.
>>
TOTAL WAR: BRONZE AGE COLLAPSE
>>
Anyone who wants chinks needs to be shot. Do you want a game where your units are limited to rice farmers with spears, rice farmers with armor and spears and cavalry with spears? Chinks are subhuman and everything about them is shit, including their "culture" and history.
>>
>>386372830
t. mongol
>>
>>386367954
I want this. Space marines should be more lore accurate than the cannon fodder in DoW so a squad of 6 is equal to an entire regiment of orks/guard, bolters are like ballista and it's hard to grind their health down and SM are essentially unaffected by anything less than high-end armour piercing weapons

Also yes to economics, only shitters hate that in TW games as it adds 60% of the campaign depth. IT would mean piracy and corruption and systems being cut off by warp storms become actual big things just like in the lore

And factions should have respawning units on the field, webways/roks/valkyries constantly come behind and reinforce basic troops (but rarely elites) , that way it feels huge and epic even if you don't have a million troops on screen. Once you take out their HQ or some battlefield objective you win
>>
>>386348635
WARCRAFT: TOTAL WAR
>>
>>386365257
again, your defending the very people who bought slaves in the first place.
>>
15th century
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.