[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games with horrible pacing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

File: Persona_5_cover_art.jpg (107KB, 250x354px) Image search: [Google]
Persona_5_cover_art.jpg
107KB, 250x354px
ITT: Games with horrible pacing
>>
>>386332871
restart your thread with an image of P3 and it might live
>>
>>386333391
Actually any persona game will do.
>>
>>386332871
>I don't like long JRPG's like Final Fantasy so I played fucking Persona of all things.
>>
>>386332871
Honestly the fact that Persona games still take several hours to start and keep introducing new party members more than halfway through the game is inexusable.

They should have learned by now.
>>
>>386334170
>it's okay when Persona does it!
>>
>>386334396
More like it's not actually a problem, the game just isn't for you.
>>
>>386332871
you first
>>
>>386332871
It's paced fine.
>>
>>386334278
I agree with this. I don't mind if party members joined at random times but once every month is just predictable and annoying. I got Haru so late I literally couldn't be fucked doing anything with her.

Also introducing party members late is even worse for the story this game tries to tell to the point of absurdity.

"OH GOSH A PARTY MEMBER BETRAYED YOU"
"I WONDER IF IT'S THE LAST PERSON TO JOIN YOU WHO IS THE ONLY ONE THAT ISN'T PURE GOOD"

I can't believe we waited so long for this shit.
>>
Did Sega ever mention about making a PC port for persona and yakuza again? I remember them talking about it a while ago.

Also was there any hints at a P5 re release in the works when they revealed the dancing spin offs?
>>
File: 24260.jpg (44KB, 256x363px) Image search: [Google]
24260.jpg
44KB, 256x363px
inb4
>game
>>
FFXV
>>
File: Deluxe_package[1].jpg (17KB, 332x218px) Image search: [Google]
Deluxe_package[1].jpg
17KB, 332x218px
>dude lets lore dump everything at the last hour of the game lmao
>>
>>386332871
Great game, but the pacing really is awful.
Those downtimes between palaces, and the character incapable of understanding anything, even though you got it hours ago, so you just mash through all the dialogue. so you can get on with it.
>>
>>386335540
You might as well have just said vns as a whole.
>>
>>386335069
Yes they reserved other P5 related website names. One was P5R.
>>
>>386334621
Is the game for people who see a tutorial on every single new dungeon room you come across to, even 50 hours into it, despite the solution being always the same (activate thing on another room then walk back)?
>>
>>386337030
Just play dark souls arin.
>>
>>386334078
I didn't think P4 was bad except for everything for the true ending being revealed on the last day.
>>
>>386337030
I think that's more an issue of developers having to cater to a wider audience of players (READ: you have to hold the hands of retards to walk them through everything). Remember that some players still don't understand one of the big plot twists in this game, despite the game literally pulling you aside for an hour to explain it.
>>
>>386337171
I literally do not fucking believe you. If they didn't get it they won't get ANYTHING in a story

>>386337080
Dark souls is beautifully paced. The second half doesn't exist
>>
>>386335746
That one is particular in that getting the good endings is fucking impossible without a guide.
>>
>>386337030
I'm not saying that it's a good thing, just that it doesn't matter to a lot of people. If you're the type of person who gets bothered by that kind of thing easily, the game isn't for you. Personally, it didn't detract from my experience by any noticeable amount. Also, people are fucking stupid. Some people actually do need things explained to them that much.
>>
You are right, while I love the Persona games I am getting pretty tired of their pacing. In your typical JRPG you travel all around the world, always seeing new sights, but in Persona 5 you spend so much time doing mundane stuff in the same area which you get tired off eventually.
>>
The game's ending felt really cut (probably because it was) probably would've been better if it had more dev time
>>
>>386337456
>you travel all around the world, always seeing new sights, but in Persona 5 you spend so much time doing mundane stuff in the same area
Some of the concept drawings point towards there being an actual 'travel the world to perform heists' idea very early in development, but unfortunately they didn't take that anywhere.

Maybe they'll do a follow-up to P5 with that idea (the ending aligns with it), but we'll have to wait for the dancing games and PQ2 to come out first.
>>
>>386335069
I'm sure you'll get it any day now. They've heard your whines, I mean petitions and are going to port it any second.
>>
>>386335069
>Also was there any hints at a P5 re release in the works when they revealed the dancing spin offs?
No, but they hinted at a PQ2 starring the P5 crew.
>>
>>386334078
this
>>
>>386337126
Persona 4 might have the worst pacing out of all the games combined. The whole game is about catching a serial killer and there no developments in the case until the last two months where you catch the serial killer. Its all save the next victim until Nagatama.

Compare that to P5 where there's a proper sense of escalation as the phantom thieves get more infamous, or even P3 that despite having a narrative black hole in the 2/3 you have a clear end goal your working to by destroying the arcana shadows.
>>
>>386338879
>Compare that to P5 where there's a proper sense of escalation as the phantom thieves get more infamous

Nah, it's still the same villain of the month garbage and new member of the month like the last 3 games were, can't believe people like these trashy games. Atleast in SMT my time isn't wasted on the shitty VN aspect that takes up most my play time.
>>
P5's pacing is pretty great riiiiiight up until the ending.

It would have been imprved further if you could only send calling cards out at the end of the month and the game wouldn't stop fucking nagging you to complete the dungeons ASAP
>>
>>386339383
the pacing was fucked from the very beginning
>>
>>386335690
>character incapable of understanding anything

I pray to fucking god that when the party left the PE room, and Joker and Morgana stayed behind and talked a bit, I fucking hope it was about how the villain heard Morgana talked previously.
>>
>>386339592
That's exactly what happened.
>>
File: night in the woods.jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
night in the woods.jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
>>386332871
Prove me wrong
>>
>>386337171
Which plot twist
>>
>>386339383
>great
>game already is ending as soon as you get your last member

Any game that does this has dogshit pacing
>>
>>386339717
The whole Akechi ruse thing
>>
>Game has one flashforward and two flashbacks before actually starting.
>Most of the game is focused on walking talking and the shitty fucking climbing.
>Put most of the shooting right at the end because the game has now "earned it" or whatever.

Fuck Druckmann and his shitty attempt at making Uncharted 4 more believeable, you can't pace a game like it's a ridicously long movie.
>>
>>386339721
You get Haru at the start of the fifth Palace. Including that Palace, there's three/four more before you finish the game.
That being said, I still agree that they need to introduce party members at a faster rate.
>>
>>386340083
could you explain that to me? in short did they just set up shadow joker in the interrogation room and flip akechi back into the metaverse so he killed shadow joker while real joker waited in the real world?
>>
>>386341057
You still get akechi though even though he fucks off once you beat it.

Shido's one is literally end game dungeon. Mementos depth was a quick 10 min dungeon
>>
>>386341238
Cognitive Joker, but yes, essentially that's what the PT did.
>>
>>386337481
>vivendi
Ah, no wonder the game felt off and weird. Naughty Dog had nothing to do with it.
>>
File: kawakami.jpg (167KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kawakami.jpg
167KB, 1920x1080px
>>386332871
Is it wrong I'm just not feeling P5? I've been waiting for this game for a long time. Technically it plays better than both P3 and P4, but I'm not feeling the same draw
>>
>>386342432
Naughty Dog had nothing to do with anything after CTR.
>>
>>386342664
Yes, I agree. I believe it's because the characters are less interesting. They all feel like they tread safe ground with each other, never really push each other's buttons too much besides the cat and yellow dude. The game also falls into a routine loop where things happen the same way over and over. I appreciate them hand crafting dungeons but they were too simple, mostly being corridors and very easy flip switch puzzles. I think SMTIV:F was better coming fresh off of it.
>>
>>386338020
>Whining

Nigga I own a ps4, I just don't want to get the game yet when they'll properly release another Fes or golden for it. If I could get it on PC I will but it isn't a deal breaker for me.
>>
>>386343141
Why would you have a PS4 but not one of the only games for it?
>>
>>386343141
man shit there's so much in the game already that I can't even imagine what the re release would do. also you should keep in mind when P3 and P4 came out. in this day and age, any shit they add will just be sold as DLC anyway
>>
>>386338879
>Yay we're famous
>Oh no we're not
And only then they catch a person behind mental shutdowns. Pretty much the same thing, isn't it?
>>
File: rise.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rise.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
>>386342664
>>386343036
I don't know, I felt the opposite actually. In P3 and P4 I just really don't care about their s.link.
Yet somehow P5 did make me care. Either it was the character design or the confidant bonus, I don't know.
>>
I bought P5 for the PS3, but a few days later I found a used PS4 with some games and the deal was too good to pass up, so I bought it and due to the new console hype I dropped the PS3 and P5. Even though I loved P4 though, P5 didn't really grip me that much, I finished the Kamoshida dungeon and then dropped it in favor of Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and Far Cry 4 (yeah, ubishit, but it's actually pretty fun tbqh).

Should I jump back into P5 or if it didn't grip me by then it won't for the rest of the game? Maybe I should sell it and buy it for the PS4 when it's on sale.
>>
>>386343036
>the characters are less interesting
That's probably it
>>
>>386343541
Kamoshida arc is one of the best in P5. I'd say progress through the next arc first (confidant options are limited during the first month), but I'd say P5 is not likely to pull you in further unless you suddenly develop the desire to waifu one of the girls introduced later.

>>386342664
>>386343463
It's weird that I can still remember P3 and its cast fondly after playing both 4 and 5, but I just do not give a fuck about P4's cast after playing 5.
>>
>>386337171
>I think that's more an issue of developers having to cater to a wider audience of players (READ: you have to hold the hands of retards to walk them through everything).
Got it, so this means the game is not for enthusiasts as it's filled with shit for the vast majority of the gameplay time.
>>
>>386345005
Not that guy, but you'll make a bad game developer.
>>
>>386345061
So as a developer you'd do mandatory reminders of every single door with a switch you come across to, for 120 hours of a playthrough that contains the simplest 2-steps puzzle.

You're right, I'd be a bad developer by today's standards. At least I'd make a game that doesn't treat you like a monkey and going through it doesn't make you want to kill yourself, so there's a positive.

You keep defending this shit, I'm sure someone went "aha" at the 80th closed-switch-door cutscene, so it was helpful.
>>
>>386346058
That's a really minor complain only people with ADHD will hate it.
Also great job bumping this at the last second though, OP.
>>
File: ?.png (12KB, 243x243px) Image search: [Google]
?.png
12KB, 243x243px
Sorry for the hijack, but this seems to be the current P5 thread. This game made me feel like watching some anime. I haven't watched anime in ages (last shit I watched dates back to GTO, Inuyasha, Evangelion, Golden Boy, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Saiyuki, probably more I don't remember anymore), what's something recent with a cool, gripping plot, likeable characters, and waifu potential?
>>
>>386334078
pretty much
>>
>>386333391
>>386334078
I'm replaying P3 right now, and it is so much better paced than 4 and 5. It took maybe an hour to get started in real gameplay. There's less of a need to bumrush dungeons and clear them in one shot because it doesn't take the entire day. Milestones don't put you in back-to-back cutscenes for a week.
>>
>>386332871
Gonna sound like console war bait since you posted P5 but BotW became a slog in terms of progression after the plateau.
You get rewarded with items and stuff for everything you do, there are unique puzzles with new rewards (because you haven't received them 50 times yet), the areas are small and condensed.
Rest of the game is just the same things over and over again.

>>386340379
All Uncharted games, honestly.
Doesn't help that they never have good enough shooting, climbing and walking to carry a 10 hour game.
>>
>>386347853
But you can literally finish BotW whenever you want. Getting really tired of this progression meme.
>>
>>386348195
I guess that's true if you think of the whole game the same way as Korok seeds, that you aren't supposed to visit every area and explore even 50%, but then it just has really little content over a large map.
You can probably beat Dishonored casually in 2 hours, but every area and mission makes you want to take your time. There are different builds and ways to go about finishing missions.
>>
>>386348467
That doesn't make sense. The vast majority of the content being optional doesn't invalidate it. It still more content than the last three 3D Zeldas put together.

The fact that there are no artifical gates beyond the plateau means that pacing is up to the player. That means the game isn't a slog, you are making it a slog. It's on you.

Faron and Akkala are two of the best loved areas in the game, and they are entirely optional and don't contain a Divine Beast.
>>
>>386337335

So if i hace standard I shouldn't play Persona ? Got it.
>>
>>386334927
The twist isn't even about him betraying you, they fucking made it as obvious as they could with him showing up when you teleport to Okumura's palace and he's in the background joining into the teleport looking evil.
>>
>>386343407
I think it's worse because the Phantom Thieves' motivation is so stupid and vain the whole time. That's what really killed the plot for me, you were never working towards anything.
>>
>>386347558
>P4
>your objective is to stop this murderer
>you have to go to school because you are a dumb teen and that's what dumb teens do
>every new dungeon gets you closer to said objective
>you learn new stuff as the games goes

>P3
>you have to climb this tower to learn more about shadows and stuff
>you don't really have to go to school because one of your friends owns the damn school
>bitch forces you all to go to school anyways
>your friends complain they are too tired to save the world
>they still have to go to school though
>you don't know shit about anything until late in the game

P3's pacing and plot is fucking trash.
>>
>>386349838
>you were never working towards anything.
They won't infiltrate Palace if there's no reason for it you know.
>>
>>386349929
The murderer stuff in P4 is just getting letters in the mailbox until you learn everything at the end. The dungeons and stories about the dungeons are Saturday morning cartoon shit about helping your friends not feel depressed as they magically fix their problems and have no more development throughout the rest of the game.

Meanwhile P3 is the only one of the three games where characters develop as a result of the overall plot instead of in their mini dungeons. Stuff like Yukari finding our about her dad and Junpei/Shinjiro.
>>
>>386350226
>bringing up the slinks and side character development
What does that have to do with the game's pacing?

>The murderer stuff in P4 is just getting letters in the mailbox until you learn everything at the end.
blatant lie

>he dungeons and stories about the dungeons are Saturday morning cartoon shit
How is it worse than fighting the shadow of the month and go back to climbing Tartarus? At least in P4 you feel that you are foiling the murderer's attemps.
>>
>>386350613
Where the fuck did I mention slinks or side characters?
>>
>>386350129
There's no overall reason beyond shitty adults and vague justice and getting famous. There's no real throughline like finding a murderer or ending the Dark Hour.

>>386349929
P3 gives you a big picture objective in summer, character drama and the death cult background in fall, and by winter you know exactly what the stakes are and what the villain is.

Compare that to P5 where the real antagonist isn't introduced until the last day of the game.
>>
>>386350613
social links are small stories that also have pacing you know.
>>
>>386350697
>where characters develop as a result of the overall plot
>Stuff like Yukari finding our about her dad and Junpei/Shinjiro.
None of these things are related to Nyx in any way.

>>386350828
I'm not defending 5 though.

>>386350847
Social link having a good pacing has nothing to do with the main story having a good pacing. Most social llinks are completely optional.
>>
>>386350828
>There's no overall reason beyond shitty adults and vague justice and getting famous.
Uh no, why do you think they infiltrate Kamoshida's Palace?
The answer just proved you're wrong. There's always a reason aside from "shitty adults", it's real trhoughline like finding murderer or ending the Dark Hour.
>>
>>386350613
>blatant lie
You're right that he's lying,the murderer stuff in P4 is just getting new party member until you get the letter,shit gets annoying very fast because it's the same thing everytime

>At least in P4 you feel that you are foiling the murderer's attemps
It doesn't feel like that anon,there's 0% progress until that the kidnap and you know it
>>
>>386350828
>Compare that to P5 where the real antagonist isn't introduced until the last day of the game.
So just like P4?
>>
>>386351029
By that logic, none of Persona 4 is related to Izanami. And yes, Yukari and her dad is directly related to the research into Nyx.

It still doesn't make them slinks or side characters.
>>
>>386351036
Overall reasoning. There's reasons for each of the individual palaces (some worse than others), but they're usually personal and coincidental. But there's no throughline.
>>
>>386351096
>the murderer attempts to kill x via tv
>you stop him
>begin to understand how he selects his victims and stuff
Yeah, no.

>>386351209
P4 is not about stopping Izanami though. Didn't you play the game? The characters only cared about stopping the murderer.
Heck, you could even miss Izanami if you don't pay attention.

Meanwhile P3 is all about Tartarus and the dark hour.
>>
>>386351215
>But there's no throughline.
It does tries to reach the point of interrogation, so there's that.
>>
>>386334078
What was wrong with P1 and P2's pacing?
>>
>>386351564
That's not a throughline, that's just a framing device. It can't retroactively become the reason that you do all of this in the first place.
>>
>>386351885
Well maybe they just want to change the world, since they've given the power to do so?
>>
>>386351415
>begin to understand how he selects his victims and stuff
And that's all,you're just getting party members at the end of the day until that part where they drop everything in your head because you don't and can't know anymore
Personas don't have the best of plots anon

>Meanwhile P3 is all about Tartarus and the dark hour
What the fuck,someone needs to replay P3's opening if you really think like that
>>
>>386352297
The party member shit is really the only thing I hate about persona 4, I would rather have a small cast from the beginning and get to know them very well in depth then to get a shitty trap detective towards the end who has the gayest persona ever.
>>
File: IMG_9698.jpg (69KB, 292x414px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9698.jpg
69KB, 292x414px
>>
>>386353575
>I would rather have a small cast from the beginning
Me too anon,I mean it doesn't even need to be from the beginning just don't throw a character at the very end and I'm fine
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.