[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Half Life 3: Never Ever Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9

File: halflife[1].jpg (74KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
halflife[1].jpg
74KB, 1920x1080px
Suppose that Half Life 3 comes out in our lifetime.

How high are the chances that the game will be anything else than a hype-induced failure?

What kind of game mechanic do they need to invent in order to feel like something more than just an FPS?

Bonus:
How would a teaser/announcement play out? Complete global saturation of gaming sites? Not a single game being released in a +-2 month timeframe around HL3's release, because the publishers fear to get overlooked by the hype?
>>
>How high are the chances that the game will be anything else than a hype-induced failure
Decent enough. I know there's plenty people like me who just want the story wrapped up, anything more than that is just nice bonus
And we know the story writing's done, it's been said in several interviews.
>>
It just needs a crazy good physics system

Think about physics puzzles with good water simulation
>>
>>386284485
garrys mod already exists
>>
I'm already supposing that not only will Valve make another ip, but it'll be single-player to boot. Anything is possible in this universe.
>>
>>386284592
Those physics are outdated tho
>>
>>386284023
it has to simulate an ocean of water particles and shit to impress me
>>
Valve won't even start on HL3 until they've perfected their new engine, thats why we haven't seen anything on their other titles; L4D, Portal etc.

I'd guess that they're close but who can really say.
>>
File: 12333.webm (2MB, 670x414px) Image search: [Google]
12333.webm
2MB, 670x414px
>>386284485
imagine this in a video game and in a larger quantity, pic related runs more than fine at 60fps on a gtx 1070
>>
>>386284840
that source 2 vr demo has me kind of hyped

because it supports dynamic resolution on PC and it also supports dynamic graphics settings in order to target a specific frame rate, optimized as fuck
>>
>>386284840
First they have to perfect SteamOS. Their deterrent to stop MS from cucking them into oblivion.
>>
They already stretched the story as thin as they can with Half Life 2. There is just nothing left to tell.

If Valve still cared about games they would make something original.
>>
>>386284023
I've been saying saying for years it's not going to come out until there's something innovative, not just another shooter. My money is on when VR is perfected. Then it will come out.
>>
>>386285230
gman?

who's the actual enemy?

how will they fight back?

aperture science tie in, maybe aperture tech could be the key to save the world and shit

there's plenty of stuff to tell
>>
>>386285496
Its like the Star Wars prequels/sequels. You don't actually want to know.
>>
90% of the people that worked on the Half Life 2 episodes are all gone now, so even if it did come out (which it won't) it would be completely different.
>>
>>386285023
Does that matter to anyone except for toaster owners?
>>
This experiment completely enraptured the audience. Upon seeing it, Newell remembers thinking, "F**k yeah!". This one experiment is said to have been worth stalling everything else at Valve for the three months of brainstorming. Named F-STOP, this never-before-disclosed project was headed by a team including producer Joshua Weier. Using the cartoon visual style of Team Fortress 2, Weier and his team mocked up a completely new, nonviolent, puzzle-based mechanic for a game. The other employees considered it fun, memorable, and most important fresh and completely unexpected.

A few days after the science fair, Newell summoned Weier and the team to his office to ask them if they would be willing to look into making F-STOP a prequel to Portal, as he thought it was probably the big, unexpected idea that Valve needed for a sequel. Weier was a little shocked: Portal was such a sensation, such an outright phenomenon, no one wanted to be responsible for trying to one-up it.

But as the team worked on F-STOP, it did not become Portal 2, and it would take Valve nearly a year of intense development before they figured that out.
>>
valve doesn't make games anymore. laidlaw is gone, kelly bailey (music) is gone, wolpaw, pinkerton, and faliszek are all gone. viktor antonov is gone, they're all gone.
>>
>>386285851
why wouldn't it matter to everyone? they could just make more demanding games, so that even on a 1080ti the dynamic graphics would come into play
>>
>>386285695
Yea, but so was HL2 from HL1, or people here are 18 years old and don't remember the shitstorm about HL2 being vastly different from HL1.
>>
>>386284867
>KysX
no thanks
>>
>>386286427
currently the best real time unified particle sim out there

though I noticed that the newest version not only runs in cuda but you can also run it in DX12, I wonder if the DX12 version works on AMD cards
>>
>>386286002
Maybe it matters indirectly, since it'd allow valve to create denser scenes without having to worry about low-end PCs, but no 1080Ti owner wants to play with dynamic resolution scaling on, I guarantee you that.
Maybe that shit flies on consoles but on a monitor anything less than native res is a pain to look at.
>>
>>386286538
>XD12
no thanks
>>
>>386286636
well say you got a 60fps 1440p monitor and your GTX 1080 is not maxed in the game scene, well the engine could then increase the resolution beyond 1440p and downsample for some mad AA

another thing it would solve is that annoying thing you find, especially in open world games, where you get 200fps indoors and 60fps outdoors
>>
>>386285872
>The Portal gun was absent from the F-STOP concept. The new ideas were fun and exciting, but surely this wasn't Portal 2. The team was sent into a tailspin, questioning each and every decision they'd made over the past year. It was time for everyone to sit down and take stock. As soon as Left 4 Dead was finished in October of 2008, Gabe brought the Portal team together for a meeting. What had started as one of the most exciting experiments in Valve history had suddenly become deeply divisive even inside the company.

As one employee remembers, Newell looked around the room and slowly acknowledged the obvious. "We are making Portal 2 without portals," he said before slamming his head against the desk in defeat. As the old saying goes, the obvious is only obvious in retrospect. Still, many team members loved the F-STOP game mechanic and didn't want to let it go. (Valve has asked that specific details of the F-STOP mechanic not be included in this story, as it is likely to be used in a future Valve product).

But at the end of the day. Valve is a company driven by its customers and fan feedback. The vox populi had spoken. Portal 2 needed portals. Walking out of the meeting, the team knew it had to correct course. Portals needed to come back, and portal technology was not going to be compatible with the ideas behind F-STOP.

WHAT THE HELL IS F-STOP??
>>
>>386286636
not only dynamic resolution but also dynamic graphics settings

basically the developers could make an insanely demanding gaming that'd run at sub 60fps when maxed even on a 1080ti, then the game engine would scale the graphics back until you reach the desired fps, this would mean you always get the best possible graphics at the frame rate you want

dynamic resolution is only a last resort thing, which comes into play if decreasing the graphics settings to minimum isn't enough
>>
>>386286954
I know liquids came from F-STOP plus something related to time, but that's all I know.
>>
>>386286641
yeah well it'd be cool to have some sim like that used in a game
>>
>>386286954
Maybe it's like physics puzzles except physics are only active within your FoV
>>
>>386284867
Too bad that thing could be helped with something like Physx, but since Nvidia owns that technology (instead of beign a third party) and having consoles that can't manage that kind of physics simulations, we will not going to see something like that soon in a video game that uses it as a gameplay core
>>
>>386286954
fstop has something to do with light physics
>>
>>386287936
>implying valve gives half a shit about consoles
>>
>>386284023
>How high are the chances
If the game would ever see the light of day (it won't) it would be impossible to not be what you described. It's been ten years already.
>>
>>386287285
What settings could be changed, specifically?
Maybe I'm acting like a grumpy ole grampa but to me a small fps hit would be preferable to a game that constantly changes AO / shadow resolution / vegetation density (I'm writing these because I imagine they'd be fairly simple to implement).
>>
I've completely lost interest in Half life.
>>
>>386284867
this kills the framerate
>>
>>386287936
that webm I posted actually is Nvidia flex, their real-time unified particle physics simulator (meaning fluids, smoke, solid and soft objects can interact with each other)
>>
>>386288027
I'm saying that almost every game developer don't use advanced physics for their games because of that.
And Valve doesn't implements it because they want their games to be used on toasters, which is the mayority of PC gamers
>>
>>386288216
that shit is really cancerous, along with gameworks
man, fuck Nvidia, I regret buying their video card
>>
File: tear.webm (1MB, 400x417px) Image search: [Google]
tear.webm
1MB, 400x417px
>>386288203
it actually runs surprisingly well on my gtx 1070, way too soon to have that sort of shit in actual game scenes though, but it'd be cool to see some sort of tech demo type game that uses this physics solver
>>
At least we have Freeman's Mind, right guys?
>>
>>386288407
ah the hivemind thoughtless drone opinion
>>386288134
all sorts of shit evidently, things like LOD, shaders, reflections, I more wonder what couldn't be changed on the fly

and example of a game that already does this amazingly is forza apex, it has dynamic graphics for a million things, that game is optimized as fuck
>>
>Episode 3 ends up being nearly completed
>Valve sits on it
>comes out 20 years later like Grimoire did
>marketed as a "retro" game by current standards
>>
>>386288608
Drone and hivemind what you fucking faggot?
It's very damn tested. My brother updated his drivers on his old ass GTX 570 and suddenly all of his games were running slower
>>
>>386288776
that has nothing to do with flex you fucking retard, thoughtless droning, just as I said, X thing sucks so fuck Y
>>
>>386288423
>dude this tech demo made by the person who also made my one-but-top-line graphics card actually runs surprisingly well
why does it surprise you
>>
>>386286954
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number
>>
>>386288961
because simulating over 100k fluid particles at 60fps is something I've never seen in any game so it's cool that I can do it in real time

also neither were made by a single person, lmao

and lastly, from what I've seen, even a 970 can run this shit at 60fps
>>
>>386288428
Maybe we will see HL3 announcement before FM2 ends
>>
They've set themselves up to the point where if they did actually release a new half-life game, it would fail. They've left it too long and left the fans build up their expectations to the point where they're so high that they will never be met.

also:

>valve
>making a game ever again
>>
>>386284023
Fatass will probably ruin it somehow
>>
I enjoyed all of the half life games, and don't see why I wouldn't be happy even a new one was nothing more than episode 2 part 2. But that's mainly because I just don't hype any more, if it comes out I'll be happy but I'm not waiting anxiously for it.
>>
Valve does not make games anymore. Even Counter-Strike:GO was outsourced, and that was what, 5 years ago?

1) There is more money in skins/cosmetics and those don't sell in a single-player game.
2) Its a guaranteed disappointment after this long of a wait, so why even try.

If we are lucky, some talented individuals will get together and make an unofficial HL3.
>>
>>386284485
It is the Source 2 flagship. One of Source 2s major selling points is Valves new in-house physics engine, Rubikon. We don't have many details on it, but everything we do know points to it being pretty novel and probably some kind of improvement over current standards (starting with the name, for example - basically a commitment to ending penetration errors, compare to 'Havok', a commitment to making cool looking explosions).
>>
>>386284023
You realize if we knew what the next mind blowing thing would be, it wouldn't be mind blowing. If let's say before Q4 2004 we somehow knew gravity gun and physics based gameplay were "the thing", everyone would cash in on it before Half-Life 3 even comes out and it wouldn't be mind blowing at all.
>>
>>386284867
Shit's cool to mess arround.
I wish I still had some of the old physx demos and some particle demo in which they were rotating arround an invisible sphere and you could accelerate and desaccelerate them
>>
>>386290331
The hype about Half-Life 3 is so damn high that no matter how good the game is, people will find it like a dissapoint.
The pressure about is so damn high that no game developer would want to touch the sequel
>>
File: t.webm (2MB, 834x551px) Image search: [Google]
t.webm
2MB, 834x551px
>>386290934
newest version of the flex demo adds some force field thing

I'd want to try nvidia flow but I'd have to subscribe to their github shit
>>
>>386290331
GO was only outsourced back when it was still meant to be a console port or some garbage, they've since taken development back internally completely
>>
>>386284485
physics really is the only thing I can think of

it having photoreal graphics wouldn't be enough, it needs a gameplay changing step up, having fluid simulations would be amazing, pair that with the gravity gun, imagine throwing lava balls at shit and melting your way past doors and shit
>>
>>386291363
cool
>>
>>386284840
this is totally wrong. engine flagships are ALWAYS developed simultaneously with the engine. no engine is EVER 'perfected', not if the creators are honest.

>>386286636
the entire point of it is to be unnoticeable and to prioritize framerate above all else (created originally for VR), and as a side effect it lets them do amazing things like, most significantly, using raw-quality assets instead of making baked-down versions for different LOD, which in turn lets them entirely dispose of a lot of basic/standard performance-nontrivial engine features like texture filtering.
>>
>>386284304
hl2's story was done until they started developing it and then it changed completely 3 or 4 times by the end. keeping in mind they no longer have their main writer anymore.
>>
File: 1501820045594.gif (396KB, 315x223px) Image search: [Google]
1501820045594.gif
396KB, 315x223px
>>386292539
what if he left because it's basically finalized on set stone
>>
>>386285496
I don't think you know how surreal story telling works
>>
>>386292539
who cares, half life's story is pretty generic anyway
>>
File: anger.png (214KB, 314x362px) Image search: [Google]
anger.png
214KB, 314x362px
It's never coming out is it?
>>
>>386292692
this could only apply if they had finished the game by the time he left, which was years ago. they'd be stupid to have a finished game and simply shelving it because newell.
>>
Half Life 2 was already mediocre as it advanced, nothing to expect from hl3
>>
File: 1478670271180[1].jpg (47KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
1478670271180[1].jpg
47KB, 645x968px
>>386287936
>PhysX is a proprietary realtime physics engine middleware SDK.

tfw to dumb to understand what physx is
>>
>>386293896
it's a phyiscs solver that nvidia owns
>>
>>386284023
I always liked Half Life for the story and the community. It wasn't just the physics gimmicks to me when the game first came out. If you're gen Z, you wouldn't understand.
>>
>>386293230
Laidlaw officially retired last year. The entire thing of 'all these critical game dev leads leaving valve' is basically bullshit panic over nothing. These are just the most famous names of the company, mostly because they've been there so long (many of them founders, as with Laidlaw).
>>
>>386284304
>story wrapped up

Mark Laidlaw said in a recent interview that if the game were to be made, it would end on a cliffhanger like the last games. It's so that Valve can do another game if they ever feel like it.
>>
>>386295130
They said that's how they chose to make the games (back then)
That doesn't mean they didn't write out the complete story, regardless of over how many games it would end up spanning
>>
>>386295130
obviously. the point is they would wrap up the HL2 threads.
>>
>>386284023
do you really want it though? maybe yes for lore reasons, but as far as gameplay itself goes, i can hardly imagine what they'd do that would live up to even a 3rd of the hype.
HL2 is a classic case of "was great when it came out", but that was in a time when progress came in big fucking strides. nowadays "achievments" for companies and games are shit like having the biggest (empty) open-world with interactable bjects/nature or the highest count of (retarded or useless) NPCs with day cycles or some shit. look at BotW, people were going crazy because you could chop trees.

what the fuck are they gonna do at this point that is gonna live up to years upon years of expectations, memes and hype? even photorealistic graphics and life-like fluid mechanics would at best earn it a "that's neat", but if it's all it has going nobody will give a shit past launch.
>>
>>386296062
Honestly I just want them to make a single player game.
>>
>>386284023
They stated specifically that they won't release HL3 because there is a high chance of being exactly that, an overhyped failure; and that releasing the game would cause more damage to the company than never releasing it.

I wouldn't mind seeing fluid physics like some anons here, but I would like to see puzzles where entire rooms have different directions of gravity, and maybe a small homage to portal.
>>
>>386284023
I just want to see the story end, hl2 ep 2 graphics and everything is just fine enough.
>>
You'll only see a Half Life game if the movie actually becomes reality and is at least a moderate success. And in that case, the game will be a reboot. The story of HL2 is over.
>>
>Better physics
>Some sort of karma choices
>Probably VR
>>
All Half Life games are garbage
Half Life 3 is alive only for the meme
>>
>>386298486

Valve is working on a major VR release right now that they hope will spur massive investment into the tech. But it isnt half life.
>>
>>386298078
no, fired former employees anonymously stated that, to clickbait 'games journalists'.
>>
>>386298675
they are working on three full-scale AAA VR games. one is 'HLVR', at least one is confirmed to be set in the Half-Life/Portal universe, another is most likely L4D3. the third could be anything or might turn out to be basically nothing (eg. was actually in reference to the new 'SteamVR Home' which is replacing their 'Destinations' VR-tours program).
>>
>>386288423
>works on my machine
>>
>>386284023
HL2 was a game that was carried by its engine, graphics, and storytelling. Outside of that, it's an incredibly mediocre game, and unless Valve can find a way to pull a rabbit out of a hat and make a game that somehow hasn't been done before and breaks the mold for something in a completely unique, useful way that would set an industry standard, HL3 is going to be forever known as "worse than HL2" even among the moron fanboys who think HL2 is better than HL1 or even good for that matter.

In short? It's going to be DNF all over again -- no matter how good it is, the wait will kill it.
>>
I cannot provide any evidence for what I'm about to say without incriminating my friend so I understand it being taken with a grain of salt, but my buddy works at Valve and told me some details.

HL3 is going to be a Source 2 VR title. Valve is strategically waiting for VR capable computers, as well as VR tech to become cheaper. Once it becomes something your average person can own, they'll drop it as a VR exclusive.

Feel free to screencap this for when it's proven right
>>
>>386300804
woah someone who can guess trends is pretending to be from valve

i can't wait for this to happen (since it's what valve is more than likely going to do to sell their dumb gimmick) and everyone to go "waoahhh he wsa really from valve!!!" like the retards they are.
>>
>>386300926
Look nigga I know how phony it sounds and how obvious it is, but it's what he told me
>>
>>386300990
yeah okay fag

valve is also gonna open source shit for the ValveVR thing so that indie devs and players can easily code for it and help streamline it among developers and shit.

by the way i am also from valve and this was told to me, it's totally not me just looking at trends and making an educated guess
>>
>>386301135
fuck off lenny
>>
>>386301258
kiss my dicks shaun you nigger you're just a fucking intern we all tell interns stupid shit to fuck with them
>>
>World wakes up one day
>All is normal, not much going on
>1pm, Steam Store updates
>Half Life 3 , L4D3, anything really is right there, available now

How would the internet react?
>>
>>386302926
Everyone would shit their pants and meme it up that they're out and then realize once they play them that they're shit just like every other post-steam valve game that isn't CS:Source or L4D2
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.