[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why MGS fans hate this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 12

File: 589712_88910_front.jpg (94KB, 640x909px) Image search: [Google]
589712_88910_front.jpg
94KB, 640x909px
Why MGS fans hate this game?
>>
Because it´s good, and MGS fans don´t like good games.
>>
File: TS - 720 Quickscope Tricks.webm (1MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
TS - 720 Quickscope Tricks.webm
1MB, 854x480px
>>386265336
Because it's an embarrassing downgrade and clearly rushed out project in general:

-You start with maximum HP and ammo cap, instead of "leveling up" after each boss fight.
-the new voice acting and soundtrack suck.
-the new localization sucks ass, and is pretty much direct Jap-to-English shit now.
-The MGS2 controls and moves, in unaltered MGS1 environments and enemy placements = the game becomes piss easy. The bossfights took the biggest hit, since you can now simply snipe them with your handgun.
-The added Dogtag collecting has no purpose at all, unlike in MGS2.
-The cutscenes are way too fucking crazy, being filled with 5 meter 360 double backflips and Matrix slowmotion. Oh, and tons of added "humor", which just ruins the characters and mood.

And to be honest, The Twin Snakes also looks fugly. Everything's just gray and cyan now, ruining the cold and dark industrial mood the original has. And the 3D models look waxy.
>>
File: shot_170629_215716.png (91KB, 337x322px) Image search: [Google]
shot_170629_215716.png
91KB, 337x322px
>>386265336
It's more or less MGS2 controls plopped onto MGS1 without restructuring the latter to make proper use of the new mechanics. Voice-acting is kind of soul-less. The cutscenes are schlocky as all get out, but that's not really a bad thing if you dig that kind fo thing.
>>
>>386265336

I will always justify this game in my mind as being Otacon's retelling of the events of Shadow Moses to some guy in a bar after drinking a couple beers.
>>
>>386265608

Wtf
>>
>>386265336
>Why do Sony retards hate this game

FTFY
>>
File: TS - Otacon chooses life.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
TS - Otacon chooses life.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>386266229
>we want Matrix audience!
>...also make everyone more annoying or stupid while at it!

>>386266298
I was a pure Nintenbro when I played this game for the first time (my first MGS game as well), and had I not played the original a few years later on PS2, I'd definitely not be such a big fan today.
>>
>>386265608
Well Kojima loved it that's why future games took from what Twin Snakes did and added to it.
>>
The biggest fuck you to the original game was the complete change to the OST. Remember coming across Rex for the first time and hearing this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=synBp17IGfo
Gone.

Pyscho Mantis' iconic hymn that was haunting as fuck? Butchered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQHGqJIt1fc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDep1xqhp0E
>>
File: Super old Ric Flair.jpg (17KB, 374x418px) Image search: [Google]
Super old Ric Flair.jpg
17KB, 374x418px
>>386265608

>the new voice acting sucks

the meme always gets me
>>
>>386266637
The only VA that improved was Liquid's, everybody else phoned it in.
>>
>>386266624
I prefer the original OST, but I also appreciate Twin Snakes for having a more atmospheric OST and for being different. Music for MGS really went downhill after MGS 2.
>>
>>386266690
Otacon sound fine.
>>
>>386266690

New Gray Fox is infinitely superior to Darpa chief fox.
>>
>>386266619
No, he did not.
He just gave the new guy freedom to do what he wanted.

Yes, MGS games were always full of wacky shit, but they all had a certain focus, a balance: a man vs monsters, "normal" guy versus circus freaks & giant robots. TTS breaks this rule by making Snake himself act like a teenage cyborg ninja, and in general act totally out of character.

>>386266637
It does. Everyone sounds monotonous, tired and dead inside. It's made even worse by the new English localization, which is practically straight Jap-2-English anime trash.
>>
>>386265608
>You start with maximum HP and ammo cap, instead of "leveling up" after each boss fight.
This is probably the only change that doesn't suck about TTS though. Things like ammo requirements don't drastically change during the game and just like MGS2, TTS sets the maximums at reasonable levels.
At no point running around with over 200 SOCOM rounds was useful or reasonable. Snake myseriously getting more powerful over the game's course doesn't really fit the narrative either and the whole element is a pure carryover from MG1/2 where the games were designed around it with larger parts of their gameplay dedicated to exploration of the areas which could actually drain the players resources.
>>
They took a masterpiece and ran it through a sicknasty filter
>>
>>386267270
Kept Mei Ling and Naomi voice the same. Also MGS 4 is full of just as much "wacky shit" as Twin Snakes.
>>
>>386267204
Disagree entirely. The original VA while yes was used for two separate characters, had this really nice tired sound to his voice, like he was barely hanging on by a thread. Every word that came out of his mouth when the mask filter was off sounded strained, almost breathless. It really emphasized Fox was fucked physically and the suit was the only thing keeping him upright.
>>
>>386267270

Everyone in the first game sounds amateur as fuck son, take off the nostalgia goggles. They actually sounded like they'd had some practice by the time TTS came along.
>>
>>386265336
Took cues from the greatest MGS game of all time in 2 and added that to remake the original. Anyone who complains is this >>386266298
>>
>>386267562
>Durr let's just ignore every valid complaint
You probably defended Phantom Pain too.
>>
>>386267479
That's not even the biggest problem with MGS4 compared to its predecessors.
>>
>>386267645
A game being "easy" is not a valid complaint. Every MGS game is piss easy and easy to exploit. Phantom Pain has the best controls of any MGS game.
>>
>>386267504

Rob Paulsen pulled all that off just as well and gave him a far more menacing tone without the hilarious lisp of the original. Probably why they kept him for the flashbacks in MGS4 and all the bonus stuff Gray Fox has been in.
>>
>>386267278
It's more about the huge pool of HP making the game super forgiving and easy, as if it already would not be casual-tier easy-moodo with its stamped on FP-aiming, hanging, etc

>>386267479
>Kept Mei Ling and Naomi voice the same.
you don't get it... EVERYONE but the black guy and Cyborg have the same VA as in original. It's just their acting + the new english translation of the script that are sub-par and flat now.
>Also MGS 4 is full of just as much "wacky shit" as Twin Snakes.
Like I already mentioned, that is not true.
Snake is even more tied to the ground in MGS4 than ever before, and he merely gets to observe cyborgs and nano-Vampires dance around.

>>386267506
>Everyone in the first game sounds amateur as fuck son, take off the nostalgia goggles.
I do not agree.
And it is not nostalgia. Like said, I was a Nintendo-child up until early 00s, and TS was my first MGS game. The PS1 original simply has way more soul put to the acting, characters are actually characters, and the dub's script is way better.

Besides, I actually replay my favorite games once in a while. "Nostalgia" refers to relying on your sweet memories on things you used to like, while I have very fresh memories on these games thanks to having just speedran through the original quadrilogy + PW weeks before MGS5 shipped.
>>
>>386267506
amateurish overracting > professionals reading lines off paper
the point isn't valid in the first place though since the VAs were already professionals and the game set out a new bar for voice acting in video games when it came out.
>>
>>386265336
Everyone in this thread has probably heard it before, but the only way to redeem TTS is to realise that you're playing through Raiden's VR simulation of the events of Shadow Moses. Suddenly Snake's crazy backflips and the differences in events and dialogue make sense if it's an imperfect replication being 'played' by a ninja wannabe.
>>
>>386266637

the VA in MGS1 is so good its often used for examples and how-to.

Stop being a bitch.
>>
>>386265336
The first-person aiming of MGS2 turns most boss fights into execution. There're whole patterns you need to learn to beat the game, like any classic boss fight. But, if you just aim at their head, you can kill the Tank Gunner in a few seconds, kill Ocelot in a few seconds, kill Vulcan Raven in a few seconds. The over-the-top cartoon Matrix cutscenes don't help.

Furthermore, they introduce the ability to hang off of railings, like in MGS2, but the functionality serves no purpose, because the game was not originally designed with that mechanic in mind.
>>
>>386268143
If it was so good Kojima wouldn't have fired Hayter.
>>
>>386267794
What, I don't remember the original GF having a lisp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIW_HG9bzn0
>>
As someone who only played TTS and not the original, what exactly changed in the cutscenes compared to the original?
>>
>>386265336
It was clearly handled by a team with inferior abilities. It's a cheap impression.

I still like that it exists. It is a cool novelty though. That's it.
>>
>>386265336
I love it. Always go back to when I want to experience MGS 1 in a different way.
>>
>>386265336
They're mad because the best Metal Gear game is on a Nintendo console, just like with Ghost Babel.
>>
>>386267984

lol no they weren't.

You think David Hayter was a professional VA in MGS1?
>>
>>386265336
>voice acting sounds like everyone was on heroine
>mgs2 gameplay ill-fitting in a non-mgs2 game
>ubershit game models; especially the character's faces
>shitty direction, courtesy of kojimer being infatuated with The Matrix at the time
>story alterations generally no one wanted or cared for which messed up all the cool little details in the first game
>iconic music altered into generic techno because fuck you
>lazy corner cutting, like keeping the codec screen portrait-style instead of transferring it also into MGS2's livelier portrait mode

it was beyond shit
>>
>>386268463
But among MGS fans they agree ghost babel is one of the best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAUIADxQJyE&list=PLYvFH2GxNYeaJrq8BPGjb91ddJnbanvz1&index=4
>>
>>386267942
MGS2's HP pool is smaller than MGS1's, even at lowest difficulty. You're just thinking there's more HP because the bar is bigger. You can't tank 15 gunshots like in MGS1. Even if you account for how MGS1 becomes nothing but bosses later on the way the HP skews the difficulty angle doesn't work in the game's favor in any way.
MG2 had it far better designed with how you start with half HP and have twice as much by the end of the game and how sneaking keeps getting at least somewhat harder, not just because there's more bosses.
>>
>>386268416
It's stupid and I like jacking off to the red head since ps1.
>>
>>386268416
In the original, just like in every other Metal Gear game afterwards, Snake is simply shown to be an incredibly proficient soldier. His actions while impeccable are still grounded within the small anchor of reality the series has, as everybody else is doing ninja flips and fucking with magical powers around him. In Twin Snakes, this was changed so we got Snake doing the same shit as the enemies he was facing.
>>
>>386268143

not a single one of the mgs games has anything beyond anime as fuck plots and acting, get the fuck out
>>
Meryl actually looks attractive in game in Twin Snakes. That's why I prefer it over the original.
>>
>>386267769
Game being easy because that's how it's designed is fine, but game becoming easy because of technical misfitting is just thoughtless design. The level of difficulty isn't the problem but the way the game is designed to allow the player to play is.
>>
>>386268481
You realize he was already a professional actor by that point?
>>
>>386268481
David Hayter had done several B movies prior to MGS1. He was the most qualified voice actor at the time.
>>
>>386265336
>Barely tried to adapt the controls to a GC controller
>Music sounds like it came off of a CD titled, "500 Royalty Free Tunes for Your Next Project!!"
>Boss fights are made trivial by MGS2 engine moves and abilities. No thought given to redesigning them
>Devs cut corners in ways that Kojima's team never would. i.e., super low textures on things that they thought no one would be looking at
>No reward for collecting dog tags
>VA re-records are okay, but some stuff, like the guard-speak is incredibly lazy and uninspired

The overarching issue is that this is what happens when the call for <GAME 1> to be remade with <GAME 2> engine get heeded.

In theory, MGS1 with all of MGS2's features sounds awesome. The M9. The better graphics. Flipping, hanging, first person shooting. Shooting fire extinguishers to make a distraction. All that stuff was great in MGS2. But they just crammed it into MGS1 without thinking.

Examples:

>There are plenty of places on The Big Shell were hanging mode is useful. Including in a couple of boss fights. It is almost useless in Shadow Moses though.
>The M9 trivializes a lot of the game. In MGS2, the M9 was pretty powerful, but it was useless against the Ciphers that patrolled the bridges. In MGS1 though, it works against pretty much every enemy you encounter
>MGS1's maps were designed for MGS1 gameplay. You get spotted, you hide for a bit, and then you re emerged when the alert was over shortly after. MGS2's maps were designed for MGS2's gameplay. Alerts were long. Multiple interconnecting rooms on each strut to hide and move between while enemies cleared the area. Guards patrol and call in regularly, with back up teams checking things out when they don't report. Trying to shove that style of hide and seek into MGS1 without redesigning the maps was a bad idea.

Twin Snakes is fine. I'm glad I own it. But it was pretty ill conceived.
>>
this piece of trivia never comes up
the cutscenes were directed by a friend of Kojima's Ryuhei Kitamura
he released a low budget action movie that was pretty popular, more than likely why he got the job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRw9bJxIQfQ
this is also the movie where kojima cameos as a zombie
>>
>>386265336
>game has few tracks but all top notch
>replace almost all of them and add a shitton of early 2000s tecno
Why.
>>
>>386270457
Because sequencer-ish dramatic cinema music wasn't cool in the mind of the fags who made this.
Tracks like tang hangar end up being great because they sound almost like originals.
>>
>>386265608
>cold and dark industrial mood the original has
You just made me have even more love for Metal Gear Solid 1. But did they really take away the increase to health and that or is this bait?
>>
>>386266624
This is the worst one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DojV0tM-dR4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkt0NviEOhA

TTS defenders are retarded
>>
Original:
>Better voice direction/performances

>Better use of music for dramatic effect (especially during Grey Fox's monologue right before he dies. Holy shit the music choice for that is awful in TTS.)

>Better, more natural sounding script localization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IimjoFyUktY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y49drgdU4_Y
>>
>>386272491
I don't know what are you trying to get at, the remaster is much more memorable and movie like, you obvious ps nigger.
>>
>>386269871
100% correct.
>>
File: IMG_0161.jpg (129KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0161.jpg
129KB, 1000x750px
>>386265336
REMASTER FUCKING WHEN?
>>
>>386269871
Its the same copy pasta on a .txt every TTS thread bravo.
>>
>>386267994
haha, so in the universe it's also just a shit videogame.

>360 MISSILE KICKFLIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoxMYHpMqT4
Only way to redeem this would be if they added a guitar shredding with every backflip.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr7YPzuPLas
Everything about this whole sequence, jesus h christ
>>
Defend this TTSfags
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LjKhumY50s&t=2m58s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf6eF-6A9XA
>>
>>386273875
TRULY A MASTERPIECE OF A CHANGE
STUPID SONYFAG YOU JUST DON'T GET IT
>>
>>386273379
>>386273474
Shadow moses incident was a snorefest, why do you nerds keep defending this shit, the cutscenes are justified.
>>
File: 1501781008535.jpg (58KB, 564x561px) Image search: [Google]
1501781008535.jpg
58KB, 564x561px
>>386273875
>Rescue Kenneth Baker
>>
>>386273875
Thanks for reminding everyone what a stupid of an idea is to hide progression content on the physical packaging, wow so intuitive.
>>
File: 1448572623198.jpg (34KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
1448572623198.jpg
34KB, 590x350px
>>386273875
god damn it the more times I watch it the funnier it gets
>>
One point people tend to not mention when talking about the game is how the AI is more like MGS2 as well. Corpses don't disappear, enemies communicate with each other, they search inside lockers and stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was lots of stuff in TTS that they did that they didn't do in MGS1. This somewhat counterbalances the other MGS2 mechanics.
>>
>>386265336
>Why MGS fans hate this game?

Because it was a genuinely good game.
>>
>mgs3
>snake judos 6 guys and none of them shoot him, a man makes tommy guns out of bees, the fear literally jumps like a fucking spider, ocelot juggles handguns
>yeah this is fine
>snake also literally bench presses a mech in peace walker
>no problem
>mgs1
>snake has split second reaction time and leaps 20 feet backwards to avoid an explosion
>twin snakes
>snake does a flip
>WTF THIS IS FUCKING RETARDED HAHA STUPID MATRIX BULLSHIT KOJIMA IS A HACK

what did mgs fans mean by this?
>>
File: 1519682.jpg (251KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1519682.jpg
251KB, 1024x768px
>>386274568
>Corpses don't disappear, enemies communicate with each other, they search inside lockers and stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was lots of stuff in TTS that they did that they didn't do in MGS1. This somewhat counterbalances the other MGS2 mechanics.
Pretty much. And they still respawn from off-screen due to the most of MGS1 taking place in open areas (as opposed to the mostly corridor-based level designs of MGS2).

I enjoyed TTS, but I don't really see it as a replacement for MGS1 (no remake truly is). My only real gripe with is are the pointlessness of dog tag collecting and the fact that you can't switching between the normal and special costumes easily (should've been a simple choice when starting a new game+).
>>
>>386274848
>snake judos 6 guys and none of them shoot him
The Ocelot Unit was ordered to capture Snake alive during that point, you dipshit.
>a man makes tommy guns out of bees, the fear literally jumps like a fucking spider, ocelot juggles handguns
None of these are Snake
>snake also literally bench presses a mech in peace walker
Nobody likes Peace Walker, it's a boring grind filled with retarded meme shit like WATER DRYMAN
>>
>>386275186
peace walker hd is the best in the series
>>
File: 1500496370740.jpg (116KB, 614x614px) Image search: [Google]
1500496370740.jpg
116KB, 614x614px
>>386265608
Nani
>>
sonyfags are pathetic holy shit
>>
File: 1494811294091.gif (2MB, 159x146px) Image search: [Google]
1494811294091.gif
2MB, 159x146px
>mgs 'fans' will always be stuck with a 20fps with dated blocky graphics head bobbing conversational piece of garbage.
>>
It goes in crazy directions compared to the original, but it's still a great game and doesn't deserve the malice it gets. I'd rather play this than Peace Walker or V.
>>
>>386276354
the only thing TTS needed was updated graphics
over the top cutscenes and gameplay casualisation weren't needed at all
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.