[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone ever played this game? Does anyone remember it? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: Screenshot_2017-08-06-02-03-33.png (224KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-06-02-03-33.png
224KB, 1920x1080px
Has anyone ever played this game? Does anyone remember it?

I'm surprised about the lack of people who haven't even heard of it, despite being a good game with excellent gameplay mechanics and detail to its texture, not to mention the shading work.

A true gem of the PSX, apparently very obscure however.

Disregard the fact that I'm running it on an emulator in my phone. My brother lost the original CD a long time ago after he sold our PSX.
>>
File: vagrant_story_opening.webm (2MB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
vagrant_story_opening.webm
2MB, 512x384px
remember it? it's the best game on PSX
>>
>>386259561
Fuck yeah, finally someone who's played this game!

I've talked to dozens of people about it but none of them have ever known about it.

I used to play it tons when I was younger but I never got the story until recently. If only I'd been more patient during the intro scenes lol.
>>
>>386259328
>Has anyone ever played this game?
We constantly have threads about it. There is always someone confused about its mechanics and doing zero damage, and there always other anons helping him out as well.
>>
>>386259925
You'd think they'd bother to read through the Quick Manual tab in the menu
>>
File: Are you a heretic.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Are you a heretic.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>386259328
>apparently very obscure however.
>Million seller with top scores on every magazine
>Squaresoft
>Obscure
>>
File: 1361696048833.gif (2MB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
1361696048833.gif
2MB, 300x220px
>>
File: VS_reinforcements.gif (1MB, 319x239px) Image search: [Google]
VS_reinforcements.gif
1MB, 319x239px
>>386260360
It's certainly not obscure these days because nothing is, but back in the day Vagrant Story was severely overlooked despite critical reception because it was nothing like JRPGs people used to expect from Squaresoft. I think it took it a while to finds its limited audience.
>>
>>386260279
To be fair a common complaint is that the manual covers everything, but doesn't really explain what's important. Many will try to train weapons to be effective against specific enemies instead of just swapping gems around.
>>
>>386260687
Can be a tad hard to find workshops to swap gems in between chapters though, and when you first start out swapping weapons seems like a valid choice since gems are rare and limited.

It's a fun system to play around with though.
>>
>>386261072
You don't need workshops to swap gems. You can do this everywhere.
>>
Offtopic, can you guys reccomend me any games in the same style as Vagrant Story? I've found it pretty hard to look for games like it, since it's pretty unique.
>>
>>386261331
Learn something new every day I guess.
Thanks for the tip!
>>
>>386260603
>It's certainly not obscure these days because nothing is
Really?
I suppose you and I can talk about Genei Toushi then, I'm sure you've played it extensively.
>back in the day Vagrant Story was severely overlooked
It wasn't, VS catered to a certain kind of audience and got fairly good results for the kind of game it is, it never set out to share the same audience as FF, BoF and whatever else, it's a fundamentally different kind of game and never pretended to be anything else.
>>386261442
VS takes a lot of pointers from Falcom's Brandish series, so take a look at that if you like VS, keep in mind that Brandish is a lot more dungeon crawlish and less story focused.
>>
>>386261442

Parasite Eve is always a fun game to pick up and play.
>>
>>386259328
>obscure

Graphics was great for the era, game is one of the highest rated jRPG of all time and despite having core complicated mechanic achieved comercial success too. I can't see single thing obscure about it.

In fact it's last great game made by Square.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.