[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unpopular vidya opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 23

File: IMG_0011.jpg (377KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0011.jpg
377KB, 1920x1080px
Unpopular opinions thread?

I don't understand the hate behind the weapon durability on BOTW, and this seems to be a widespread complaint both in and out of /v/. It find it makes you be creative and plan your attacks more thoughtfully and be more resourceful, etc. I don't feel like the weapons break too quickly at all. Maybe it's because I don't use just the melee weapons and bows but also the runes to fight whenever possible. I always am running out of inventory space rather than weapons. As far as I see it the people who complain about it either want the game to be easier, don't ever use the runes, or can't plan well
>>
>>386258456
The people that complain about it just want games that play themselves as near as I can tell. Any adversity at all is "bad design". Any difficulty is "artificial".
The weapon durabilty in BotW is a key mechanic that makes the every other mechanic function. Whats the point of being able to pick up that bokogoblins short sword after you kill him if you've already got one? There isn't a point. But since the spear you used to kill him is gonna break in a couple more thrusts you're gonna need that weapon he just dropped.
How is a sweet bow a good reward for one of the shrines if you've already got a badass bow? It isn't.
None of the games reward systems function if every weapon is infinite. But people can never see the forest for the trees with game design. They just blame the game everytime they fail because they are failures.
>>
>>386258456
>I don't understand the hate behind the weapon durability on BOTW, and this seems to be a widespread complaint both in and out of /v/.
It's always the rookies complaining about it.
It's a common phase, that fortunately most people get over with, and finally "get" the style this game wants you to embrace. You're never getting "good gear you get to keep forever", you instead get a pile of varying kinds of CONSUMABLE tools. This enforces exploration, experimentation, and even adds some extra layers of tactical thinking to the mix.

I've been there, people I know who've played the game been there, some e-celeb fucks who've reviewed the game seem to been there... it's like this game's version of puberty. Ya think you're going to "level up" into this unstoppable badass by getting some kickass legendary gear, but instead it's you who needs to "level up" your gaming skills and courage.
>>
>>386258456
>>386259094
Also just to add, it's exactly like you say here
>it makes you be creative and plan your attacks
It creates a decision making matrix, which is the heart of *game*. If you never have to decide anything are you playing a game or just going through the motions to see the game?
Are you having an experience or spectating one?
>>
File: Wow 2012-09-23 08-06-43-76.jpg (162KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Wow 2012-09-23 08-06-43-76.jpg
162KB, 1600x900px
cataclysm was a great expansion to world of warcraft, right behind the burning crusade. Prenerf T11/T12 were the best tiers of raiding we've had since T4/T5/T6.
>>
>>386259442
>>386259094

So basically people just hate change no matter how well it actually fits the design

Ok
>>
It was a coordinated attempt among game journos and Pretendos to pretend as if there was something 'wrong' with Breath of the Wild.

In reality, the weapon durability system is a big part of why exploring the world never feels stale or boring. That issue that Skyrim and other similar games have where you quickly reach a point where you constantly find gear you will never, ever use is a non issue because of that.

Zelda is the best open world game ever made.
>>
>>386258456
My ONLY beef with the durability is that it's keyed in WAY too low. Otherwise I love it. I want to be able to kill 3-4 mobs minimum with a decent weapon. I could understand a stick being weak AF and breaking over the first dude's head, or a sword hitting a shield just WRECKING your sword, but a club/mallet? Those were pretty much DESIGNED (as a weapon) with crushing shields. I guess I just wish that the weapons were divided into styles (cutting works against flesh better, crushing is better vs armor/stone, magical better against elemental/slime, piercing for flesh/weak-point, and I don't mean better JUST for damage, I mean they LAST longer against those types too)

As iit stands, I use runes a LOT and take advantage of the environment (except in hero-mode, you pretty much NEED to drown/cliff everything).
>>
>>386259094
Just because it makes there be a point in picking up a bokoblin weapons doesn't mean it's a good one. I could make a game where all you can do it throw rocks, or I can make one with a good bow. Which one would you rather play?

It's a bad mechanic because it ruins any sense of reward from getting anything. Every reward is underwhelming when you know it's complete shit. Old Zeldas like ALttP are much better because rewards are permanent and serve as a tangible and real reward. Why waste have of the good weapons in the game on anything other than bosses when all that happens is you break 3 decent weapons to get one decent one in return. Who gives a shit?

A mechanic having a reason to exist doesn't make it a good reason to exist.
>>
File: IMG_1220.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1220.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is superior to the Tech Demo highlight of the original. The puzzles, the levels, the creativity, everything.The ghosts personality and more creative actions make up their simple designs.I will concede that the portrait ghosts in general were better designs though.

I don't say this in disdain or to mock, but I legitimately feel that the original Ace Attorney Trilogy is overrated as fuck. There's this stupid pedestal people put these games on and they don't deserve despite all being great games. They have their flaws in pacing and writing and seeing people accept those flaws is fine, but not at the expense at shitting on the newer games as much as possible.

I personally perfer Telltales old CSI Ubisoft publisher games over what they are doing now. I don't hate it, but I would perfer them to actually go back and solve actual mysteries. I am looking forward to Wolf Among Us though
>>
>>386259664
BOTW does a lot to eliminate the "everything is just vendor trash" problem. I think durability is almost perfectly balanced, but I havent played hard mode yet.
>>
>>386259094
>>386259429
>>386259589
>>386259442
These are all really shallow arguments that ignore all the really valid points that people have been making across multiple websites and on /v/ as to why it's a shit mechanic

It's like you ignore all the critiques of the mechanic and focus on what you want their argument to be since you think it's easier to attack. It's almost... almost like a strawman or something.
>>
>>386260000
>No permenant rewards
>What is: "armor"
>>
Call of Duty 1 is objectively the best game in the series.
>>
File: ZZ3zLX7.jpg (73KB, 724x620px) Image search: [Google]
ZZ3zLX7.jpg
73KB, 724x620px
The Evil Within is honestly the best horror game ever made
>>
>>386260213
Okay that's less than 5% of all rewards in game. Good job, what about good weapons, ie roughly 70%? Oh wait...
>>
>>386260341
>Why the fuck do games give me new weapons when the majority of what I pick up is ammo?
>>
>>386260000
It's the KEY mechanic to the game. It's ok if you don't like the KEY mechanic to a game. But it means you should probably be playing something else.
> I could make a game where all you can do it throw rocks, or I can make one with a good bow. Which one would you rather play?
This doesn't make much sense. Are you saying it's impossible to make a good game that doesn't have bows? If the game about throwing rocks is a better game then I'd rather play it.
>>
>>386260210
>ignore all the really valid points that people have been making across multiple websites and on /v/ as to why it's a shit mechanic
...such as? And citation needed.

Hey, I've played numerous games with breaking weapons system, and more often than not, it indeed is shit. BotW, however, adds its own twist to it, and makes it work.
>>
>>386258456
>plan your attacks more thoughtfully and be more resourceful

This just leads to avoiding enemies altogether because the rewards for killing enemies are often worse than keeping your high end gear. Hell, once you have the master sword you can ignore enemies completely outside of dungeons.
>>
>>386260210
Well this is the best argument I've seen so far. Good job anon.
>>386260341
Also wot? If you didn't have weapon durability that'd be a 50/50 split between armor and weapon pick ups. Probably more armor than weapon types so it'd more likely veer towards armor. Alternatively if you had armor durability then you'd have a 50/50 split again.
>>
>>386260000
>Who gives a shit?
I did. Still do.
The whole idea is to PREPARE for upcoming challenges, the Hyrule Castle being the big one. And guess what, especially that one rewards you with superb gear, left and right.

Already long time ago, I hit this stage in a game where I literally had to start dropping pretty high-tier gear, just to pick up a bit better stuff instead. That with a dozen or so extra slot to all categories.
>>
Turnabout Big Top is incredibly underrated
>>
>>386260909
This.
>tfw Acro seemed like and probably was a chill, down to earth guy, misguided by rage and sorrow
>that "True Pain" theme
>>
megaman battle network 4 is a very good game and most anons let one or two annoying segments ruin their entire game experience
>>
>>386259575
Unironically agreed. Most people were just tired of wow at that point. Recently replayed cata on a private server with a friend and it's a really solid expansion.
>>
File: 1501309587753.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501309587753.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>386258456
This has been the best video game generation since the PS1/Super Nintendo era. Sony and Nintendo have both created a number of great games, Japanese game devs are in the midst of a renaissance and PC gaming is more accessible than ever. The only black sheep of the bunch is the Xbone.
>>
>>386258456
It's only widespread because of sony drones.
>>
>nintencocksuckers defending everything Nintendo does
What else is new?
>>
>>386262624
I think most people who shit on the cata raids just never tried them on prenerf hardmode. T11 HM was my favorite raid tier from any point in WoW, and no, it wasn't easy at all
>>
>>386258456
I'm in the same vote, I actually loved the durability mechanic, and I missed having fragile weapons like the early game in the end game. The throwing mechanic becomes completely useless once you start getting weapons that can take hits and I enjoyed that mechanic a lot.

I wish the entire game was like the early game, by the end you have so many abilities, so much food and such durable damaging weapons that all the survival elements go out the window.
>>
I know why PC is a objectively superior platform, but to be honest, I don't give a damn, I'm fine gaming on my PS4. Do I have the money to build a decent PC? I sure do. Will I build a PC? Nah, I'm more interested in building a Hackintosh.
>>
>>386258456
Its annoying but the alternative would be even worse.
>>
>>386258456
This is how the durability system boils down
>have hoarded 20 weapons
>another weapon drops
>have to decide which weapon to throw away
>never use any of the good ones because you don't want them to break, saving them for "that fight" that never comes
The durability itself isn't the problem, it's that you save your weapons and never use them because of it.
>>
BotW and Horizon were both overhyped and they under delivered.
>>
>>386264790
Not to mention, aside from the Master Sword every good weapon has "breaks easily" in its description so you're even more pressured against using them.
>>
>>386260793
But that's not true at all. Before you even reach midgame you are already at the point where your constantly throwing away weapons because you constantly have good alternatives to pick up.
>>
File: 1365531021377.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1365531021377.gif
2MB, 320x240px
There are two types of people on /v/ when it comes to this argument OP.

Pro weapon durability in BOTW: The people who understand game design and that it's a crucial part of BOTW's formula. The game would be a fucking mess without it.

Anti-Weapon durability in BOTW: People who fundamentally lack understanding of game design and think that removing weapon durability would do the game nothing but good because they got annoyed by it one or two times.
>>
>>386258456
I have no problem with the weapons. What pisses me off: Game all about climbing- constant rain.
>>
>>386265248
for real that's one of my few complaints with the game fuck rain
>>
>>386265248
>>386265674
I honestly liked the rain, it was a mechanic to play around and you had to actually look at the weather bar before starting to climb and I've had fun looking for dry places to start a fire or finding another way up the mountain
>>
File: 1500921414626.jpg (3MB, 5120x2880px) Image search: [Google]
1500921414626.jpg
3MB, 5120x2880px
Anyone find the open world aspect of BOTW boring?
Don't get me wrong for the first 10 hours I thought I had died and gone heaven (especially after seeing my 1st shooting star)

But I felt the world was empty and had no interesting side stories or quests

Something felt lacking

Still one hell of a game though
>>
>>386258456
That's only really true in the beginning of the game, when you can only carry about 4 weapons, they're constantly breaking so you gotta sun enemies and frantically pick up whatever they have. By the mid point of the game the weapons last just long enough for it to be annoying because you'll be collecting more weapons than you break, you'll have so many weapons that stopping to switch would be a major break in the flow of combat, and all the enemies have worse weapons than you do so why bother in the first place?
>>
>>386265674
>>386266168
Climbing Set Bonus should've been to be more effective in the rain.

>>386268054
>no interesting side stories or quests
Did you not do Tarrey Town?
>>
>>386259094
You seem to do not understand things at all.
BotW has weapon durability to enforce "tactical thinking" but this is bullshit.
If you want players to use different weapons make them worth checking out, not let them use it only for few hits.
>>
>>386269770
Sorry poorly phrased!

I guess I just wanted more which is a good complaint
>>
>>386269770
>Tarrey Town
>Collecting wood over and over
I'll never understand why people praise that quest.
>>
The weapon durability probably is a little too much in that weapons seem like tissue paper, but overall I'm fine with durability existing. Makes it so the game isn't too easy, weapons seem more precious.
>>
I think a cool change would be if you didn't have your main weapon drawn you could pick up any weapon on the ground and be unable to sheath it. it would be kind of like using enemy weapons in windwaker.
It would incentivize grabbing the weaker weapons of defeated monsters during the midfight, swinging it around and eventually throwing it, and then go back to drawing from your actual weapon pool.
>>
>>386270608
Chop down a ton worth of tree. Only get 5lbs of it. Wew.
>>
>>386264790
That's a problem with you specifically and one you can easily fix.
>>386265134
It's not just BotW. People everywhere throw such a prejudiced bitchfit about durability whenever it shows up that it's remarkable. It doesn't matter how well implemented it is or how fundamental it is to the rest of the game's balance or progression, or even how harmless it is to actually take note of and work around.
>>
>>386263332
>Sony and Nintendo have both created a number of great games

I think you mean Japanese third parties have made great games for Playstation platforms. What great games has Sony made in the past decade?
>>
>>386258456

I don't really like BotW and weapon durability has nothing to do with it. In fact, I think its combat flow makes a lot of sense. No, it's the lack of emphasized direction and intrigue that does it in for me. I get that that's the entire point of the game but I just don't care much for that supposed "urge" to see what's beyond that horizon, over that mountain, beyond that waterfall because I'm given no reason to care. BotW expects you to be curious for curiosity's sake and I'm just not about that, especially when all you're usually rewarded with is a stone, seed, weapon, or shrine that gives you stones and weapons. I don't feel the compulsion to explore this world compared to even previous Zeldas and this game's attempt at dedicated points of interest are flimsy and passive at best. Couple that with the lack of good dungeons and I'm left feeling like BotW is just a prototype overworld for the next real Zelda. What's there is nice but I'm left waiting for the rest of it.
>>
>>386271638
Gravity rush
>>
>>386272057

As much of a niche taste as those games are, I second this. GR's probably my favorite new IP this gen.
>>
>>386271728
Not OP, but this is where we'll have to disagree, anon. I was driven by the curiosity - what is that biome, what is that structure, what is that over there? Whether it's a quaint heart-shaped lake or a somber fortress ruin, I ate up all the visuals. Even the fields of grass or barren plains were comfy, or a break from having to search/fight.

I admit I got burned out grinding to upgrade all the gear, but I will stand by the shrines being more engaging and entertaining than a lot of the dungeons. Hunting down the shrines and figuring out how to access some of them were puzzles in their own right, and the shrines were satisfying challenges. I'll take that over corridor>key>special weapon used for the dungeon>boss key>collect heart.
>>
>>386272057
>>386272709
Gravity Rush is sublimely good controls wrapped around a criminally basic experience.
>>
>>386274048

Shrines just come across to me as glorified grottos. The samey interiors and limited toolset for each one diminished the excitement rather quickly for me. I mean yeah, it's in how you use them rather than what you have but I sincerely miss the steady acquisition of new tools to play with rather than exploiting bomb/stasis/cryonis/magnesis properties for the 30th time. I miss going into a dungeon and being excited for what I'd find inside.
>>
>>386274362

That's a good way of putting it, actually. 2 did a lot to flesh out the world compared to 1 but it still was fairly basic.
>>
>>386274362
my only major complaint about the game was that they never really did anything to have you fighting on walls/ceilings more often since flying was overall just better in most combat situations
>>
>>386274767
Pretty much.
The main game mostly consisted of air kicking enemies weak spots and the side content was mostly basic obstacle courses.

The controls make it fun. But they should've been used for something greater.
>>
>>386274982
The game did have very good side quests though, most of them were different too like trying to stop Aujean from getting into bars
>>
>>386265134
Explain how would that make a mess of a game?
>>
>>386275460
And here we see an example of the second type of poster.
>>
>>386275628
Explain how would that make a mess of a game?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (91KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
91KB, 1920x1080px
I hate it when /v/ complains about games like The Last Of Us being nothing more than "cinematic experiences" due to the much heavier emphasis on story and atmosphere over gameplay, but proceeds to suck off the first 3 Silent Hill Games and referring to them as "artistic masterpieces", despite having a higher emphasis on story/atmosphere over gameplay themselves.
Don't get me wrong, I myself prefer all of them over TLOU, but not for the reasons just mentioned. The whole situation is just hypocritical and like people on this board are only making these statements to either fit in (even though the board is fucking anonymous), or because they are blinded by pure nostalgia.

Whenever i come across someone here who makes fun of TLOU for being a movie, but compliments SH2, I want nothing more than the ability to shoot them in the face
>>
>>386259094
>The people that complain about it just want games that play themselves as near as I can tell
>the QTEs in BOTW via flurry rush aren't the game playing itself
okay
>>
>>386258456
I have TOO many weapons, they never beak you can kill pretty much anything in one hit or just use bomb arrows you end up with like 500 of them at once
>>
>>386275729
I'm not him and I haven't even played the game but this seems awfully simple. No durability would mean a significant decrease in preparation and strategy required before and during fights as you wouldn't need to decide which type or quality of weapon best fits the situation and which you'd want to save for later, while also leading to less weapon variety both in what you find yourself using and the weapons themselves. Gone too would be the survival element and equipment as a reward or resource to be sought out, hampering exploration and danger as you'll never be caught out with a lack of weapons. Any sideweapons and abilities would be pushed to the side since they either require more thinking and effort to use or run out themselves. I'm sure there's more that'll suffer beyond these that people who actually played the game know of as well.
Basically, you can't just pull a mechanic out of a game and expect everything else to hobble forward with no issues if they're not also changed adequately to compensate, and those changes in turn have to still be able to comply with the original vision as well as the old way did. Things are always designed with a reason, and this is no exception. Place your bets now on how many replies I get greentexting the first sentence only.
>>
>>386276034
Because Silent Hill was something original back in the day, now for you it may be a stale game.
TLOU from the very start was a very over hyped, over saturated game, it had all those hated meme game mechanics that developers started ham fisting into every possible game.
Same reason many people are not happy with MGS Survive because of the stale game mechanics it has, another empty open world game with some survival and crafting elements.
Silent Hill series in the beginning was praised for few things atmosphere, OST and story wise but had also negative reception when it came to voice acting, camera, combat.
Plus people usually don't discuss shitty things about old games because everyone heard about it decades ago when the game came out so everybody knows that, they just praise the good things for what the game did in that time.
>>
>>386277284
I understand that but what about making the degradation to vary a bit different for weapons?
I can understand a rusty weapon to break after 10 hits but the same for a brand new looking weapon from a dungeon?
Plus all the things you described are just the preference of the player, for me after 5 hours the exploration is not rewarding because I know that the chest I'm going after will have some shitty sword or bow that will break after few usages, but that's just my opinion.
Either way it's a great game and for me is an example on how open world games should have been made since in the recent years they have been getting quite stale and simple.
>>
File: dark_souls_3_art_3.jpg (115KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dark_souls_3_art_3.jpg
115KB, 1280x720px
>>386258456
As much as people harp on about how linear dark souls 3 is (and, to be fair, they aren't wrong), it never really bothered me while I was playing.
>>
I don't know why anyone likes the first Witcher game. Not from a "I haven't read the books so I don't get it" standpoint, because anyone that uses that argument is fucking dumb. The game explains just enough to get a basic understanding of it without needing to read the books, and was designed precisely so that people that haven't read it can enjoy it.

But every time I try pick it up, I just feel like it's such a clusterfuck. The combat is ridiculously boring, character movements are awkward, some of the dialogue is just fucking terrible - from the voice actors sounding bad to the actual writing itself - and some of the scene changes are just such a mess. Like when you leave Kaer Morhen for the Vizima outskirts it just doesn't transition well. One minute you're all "holy shit here's the start of the adventure" to "Oh, there's a kid...and a woman...and some dogs....uhhhh....OH, suddenly Geralt is there and he's just casually talking to people." Like what the fuck.

Seriously, I just do not understand the love for the Witcher. Maybe it's because I didn't play it on release, so like it was maybe advanced/amazing for its time and maybe dated now? I dunno. It just plays awfully.
>>
>>386277638
I can't talk on how they did balance between weapon qualities but if every single one has the same durability then that's just one way of balancing the worth of the weapon against each other. Bit of a missed opportunity for variance but it also makes the added strength more apparent I suppose.
Finding weapons in chests are always going to be useful however. It's a type of consistent reward that's guaranteed to mean something and help at some point as you'll always be using them to explore, unless of course you took too long to get there and are maxed out on OP weapons, but that kind of situation is only more likely if they just ripped the mechanic out.
>>
>>386278145
DS 1 is world design kino and a good 1/4th of what made the title so fun.
>>
I don't feel interested at all in the final fantasy series in general. I don't think I'd ever want to play one, and i've known people apparently be displeased with this.
>>
>>386279526
Only the first half. The levels got significantly worse after Anor londo.
>>
combat in the game would suck even if the weapons never broke
>>
>>386279789
World design/=level design
>>
>>386279853
I guess what I'm trying to get at is that level design>world design and dark souls level design is a bit of a mixed bag.
>>
Red dead redemption was pretty bad.
>>
>>386280080
> level design>world design at all times
Those are some hot opinions faggot.
>>
as another anon said, durability is what makes exploration in the game so enjoyable. since everything is consumable everything you find has value, no matter how small. I do think they fucked up the balance a bit, because there are lots of points where I found myself simply not using weapons and walking around encounters -- but this can easily be fixed in a new game by making enemies more aggressive / harder to avoid. the durability system itself is fine, it was the level design/enemydesign that needed work.
>>
>>386280115
In a world with 10000 open world offerings it really doesn't seem that special anymore.

Also switching to Jack never worked.
>>
>>386259094
The issue is the game has no finite reward system and no meaningful content that provide any character progression or any sort of development. Nothing is polished or refined, its all built around the engine rather than enhancing the gameplay, it boggles it down by providing a giant world with next to nothing important to accomplish in it.

The weapon durability should have not applied to main weapons either. It takes away all incentive for battles since your trading good weapons for bad 90% of the time. Even broken DS2 weapon durability wasnt this retarded.
>>
>>386260210
>"the game forces you to get good at the game to really succeed, meaning it is you progressing, not your character, thus placing yourself at the center of your journey and not link"
>THESE ARE ALL REALLY SHALLOW ARGUMENTS
>>
>>386280261
>since everything is consumable everything you find has value, no matter how small.
No it just devalues hard work and effort since you can just go in hyrule castle and steal high end weapons easily.
>>
>>386280115
agreed. the gameplay and missions were just boring as fuck and i never cared about the story
>>
>>386260226
>Allied Assault is objectively best game of the CoD series
There, i fixed it.
>>
>>386258456
It does kind of take away from the sense of progression a bit. I always liked starting with a weak sword and then upgrading it throughout the game in other Zelda games. That sense of "this is my weapon, and I worked hard to make it as powerful as it is" is pretty satisfying. It wouldn't have been compatible with what they were going for in BotW, though, so I see why they didn't make permanent weapons like that. I don't really mind the durability system.
>>
>>386258456
I find the new dragon quest 11 to be pretty good but the god damn cutscenes almost killed it for me, there are no VO it's just text and you have to mash the circle/a button over and over again.
the 3ds version is the shitty version of the game. I personally don't see a reason to buy the switch version of Dragon Quest 11, every switch game feels like lost money except for Puyo Puyo Tetris and BOTW.
Here is my shit opinion guyz
>>
>>386280687
I don't really think so, because you have the potential to find the same weapon somewhere else in the world as well. just because it's easy to find high-level weapons doesn't mean lesser weapons are worthless, that's my point.
>>
>>386281072
But they are. BOTW was such a disappointment.
>>
>>386280405
It's not an RPG. The exploration, adventure and overcoming the challenges that arise from that are the main goal, achievement and reward. Whether the world doesn't have enough places to find or conquer is another matter but that isn't weakened by durability in any way. Also you're not trading good weapons for bad ones, you're trading weapons for survival so you can continue your adventure. A subtle but very important difference.
>>
File: persona5-1d463572ac370762.jpg (155KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
persona5-1d463572ac370762.jpg
155KB, 1280x720px
Persona 5 played it way too safe and treated you like an idiot.
Sure, everything was improved a little bit above the previous games, but the way the lifesim part works is just boring as hell in 2017.
The story had some neat ideas but was way too predictable and they ruined all the emotional moments with bad writing.
I never felt anything for the characters.
The dungeons were boring and a drag.
And the music was just kinda alright.
>>
>>386280904
>"this is my weapon, and I worked hard to make it as powerful as it is"
I don't think that has ever happened in Zelda outside of Phantom Hourglass or in a sense Wind Waker. You always found the Master Sword after some adventuring, which isn't terribly different from tracking down rarer and stronger weapons from later places.
>>
File: Atlus was right.png (2MB, 2105x1559px) Image search: [Google]
Atlus was right.png
2MB, 2105x1559px
>>386281680
>treated you like an idiot
I would agree, but then there's people who played the game multiple times and still don't understand the plot. It's very odd how that happens

Regardless, I think the change in engine set Persona 5 to be a refinement of the formula, instead of them doing something truly interesting. It's basically an upgraded Persona 3 and 4, but without the commitment to their ideas that made those games special. Persona 3 is very melancholy and it shows in all aspects, 4 is very light-hearted and it shows in all aspects. 5 is in this weird middle ground where it takes ideas from them and even SMT, but doesn't have a unique identity among it's peers. From a mechanical standpoint I still appreciate the game, but everything else was kind of bland
>>
bloodbornes setting is shit.
>VICTORIAN ENGLAND
>FAGGY VAMPIRES
>LOL WEREWOLFS
>>
>>386264790
Just use the better weapons, they pop up all the time, and if you're really autistic you can mark chests that have good weps and come back every blood moon.

I was having this issue until I realized magic rods are a waste of space, and so is having more than 3-4 two handed weapons. Not to mention once you get the master sword you get an extremely reliable weapon and rarely have to worry about weapons running out
>>
>>386282743
I don't just mean that, I also mean the parts in the dungeons where your party members literally explain the puzzles to you. At those parts it kinda felt like a PS2 game to me, just because that is definitely how japanese games basically always used to treat you back then.

I think the problem with the plot is that they first made up the plot twist and then tried to explain away any plot holes. There is probably like 2 hours of cutscenes after the casino, it's ridiculous.

Also I never felt as insulted as when the game "reveals" to you that shido is the big bad and they somehow feel the fucking need to show you two flashbacks to the same scene literally minutes away from each other just to tell you something you already fucking knew fourty hours ago.
>>
>>386283073
To be fair, blizzard rod it's the best one, and I think worth keeping one in case you encounter a lot of enemies so you don't get surrounded, so you can attack them one at a time, this specially in hard mode.
>>
File: 1481729690280.jpg (238KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1481729690280.jpg
238KB, 1920x1080px
FFXV is perhaps my favourite FF game I've ever played. It's so incredibly lackluster in many aspects, with some glaring flaws here and there, but none of them fall too flat and the bigger picture of them all combined is that it works well. My two biggest complaints would be the inconsistent story, with poor pacing and bad explanations for what's really going on, along with the combat being a bit too simplistic and unresponsive.

For the rest, I had a lot of fun and memorable moments playing it. The world feels believable and immersive enough, the characters seemed very narrow and almost are, but end up being relatable and amusing. Graphically no one will argue this game looks bad, but the framerate needs fixing. Maybe I like it so much because it throws out so many conventions in video games that I'm otherwise used to and expect. The camping, the cooking, the dungeon structure; it's all different, yet fun.
>>
>>386259094
>The weapon durabilty in BotW is a key mechanic that makes the every other mechanic function.

Does the game cease to work properly when you have so many weapons by the end of the game it doesn't matter anymore?

At the end I was finding and ignoring far more weapons than I was picking up due to the sheer number of powerful weapons that were easy to obtain and the amount of weapon slots I had.

Durability only matters in the very beginning of the game but there comes a point where it doesn't.
>>
>>386259664
>That issue that Skyrim and other similar games have where you quickly reach a point where you constantly find gear you will never, ever use is a non issue because of that.

But that happens in BotW. I have so many slots and know where so many weapons spawn that I go refresh my supply when a blood moon happens and ignore most enemy drops anymore.
>>
>>386258456
Fuck weapon durability. It's cancer. I hope someone will be able to mod that shit away on Cemu. It's one of those things that just ruins the game for me.
>>
>>386285884
Having the ability to mitigate it doesn't immediately remove the mechanic. Having maximum potions doesn't mean you'll never be damaged or die or stop paying attention to how much health you have.
>>386286023
That's a unique strategy involving preparation in advance that wouldn't exist if durability wasn't in the game.
>>
>>386287403
>That's a unique strategy involving preparation in advance that wouldn't exist if durability wasn't in the game.

Unique is one way to describe it. Its unique in the same way that needing to farm blood vials in Bloodborne is a unique preparation strategy. It adds nothing to the game but a time sink while you go effortlessly restock to get back to the actual game.

It was shit in BB and its shit in BotW.
>>
>>386287789
Except you don't need to farm weapons since you can get them from the enemies you fight on the way. Just like you don't need to farm blood vials in Bloodborne because you can get them and blood echoes from enemies along the way, as well as even heal yourself by attacking when you get hit. The supposed time sink is just more gameplay since both games are designed around careful exploration of the areas you travel through rather than burning through ignoring the surroundings. The common thread here is you and your decision making, or skill in Bloodborne's case since you only run into severe vial shortages if you're not using your resources right or are getting hit extremely often, in which case it's doing the right thing making you practice the basics more.
>>
>>386288650
>The supposed time sink is just more gameplay since both games are designed around careful exploration of the areas you travel through rather than burning through ignoring the surroundings.

Dark Souls is the same way but succeeds without having to add a tedious health potion farming mechanic. If you're out of estus you can either play more carefully and more deliberately as you make your way to the next bonfire to refill or you can go back, restock and reset all of your progress for another attempt in which you will hopefully be more aware or have more skilled play and not need to use as much.

You can get that kind of gameplay without having to adding limitations later paper durability and health potion farming. It just requires more thoughtful design.
>>
>>386289323
So why couldn't you play more carefully and deliberately with your weapons in BotW and vials in Bloodborne? Why do you say it's not "tedious" to walk back to a bonfire when it works the same way in Bloodborne or in your case of BotW, even though both have more methods that let you bypass such a trip? Why do you think mechanics involving resource management aren't "thoughtful design" by your arbitrary standards? Why can't games be different?
>>
>>386260793
>the rewards for killing enemies are often worse than keeping your high end gear
Bullshit. High end gear that you never use gets you zero reward. Using that high end gear to get pieces of slightly-less-good gear is a perfectly good trade. Stop being a collector and start bashing that shit on some mobs head - nothing is so rare in this game that it is too valuable to use. Not even the champion weapons. Anytime you find a good piece of kit its because you're far enough along in the game that you're now finding better stuff, not because youve found some one-off thing. By the end of the game you're awash in royal and lynel weapons with +damage or +durability, you're throwing away anything without 20 or so extra damage.
>>
>>386277638
Degradation does vary, a lot though. I can cut through an entire camo with one sword and still be able to kill a few more monsters, it's just the early game weapons that break fast.
>>
>>386280687
Sure you CAN ruin the experience for yourself but why bother? Besides your Hyrule castle weapons will all break after a few hours of gameplay so you have to keep going back there to refresh them. If you're so intent on ruining your own game experience why even bother?
>>
>>386277638
>I can understand a rusty weapon to break after 10 hits but the same for a brand new looking weapon from a dungeon?
Rusty weapons break in 2-3 hits. New ones break in 10-50 or so. But here's the thing, anon. Real weapons used in real combat broke, and they broke (or bent) a lot. The reason is that in combat speed kills, that sword that was lighter and more fragile but swung faster than the other guys would give you a better chance to kill the other guy before he killed you. Modern "recreations" are very overbuilt since they aren't used for actual combat but for cutting sugar cane tatami mats. But the actual things were incredibly light and fragile-feeling - but they were wicked, wicked fast.
>>
>>386260123 Prepare for extreme unbalance in hero mode then
>>
>>386258456
Tediously managing your inventory of weapons is time better spent killing things.

Acquiring new weapons is always a hollow victory because they will break anyway.

This discourages improvised exploration because you can't be sure it will pay off like you know a quest will.
>>
>>386258456
>>386259094
It's not difficult at all you stupid fucking idiots. Tedium isn't difficulty. It's a terrible way to get people to experiment with different weapons, because it encourages you to save your rarer, more unique weapons for a rainy day. >>386259429 is right though, you eventually grow out of this phase once you come to the realization that the combat is fucking braindead and there are maybe six different enemies that you'll encounter throughout the game. Once the game drops any pretense of ever being fun or challenging, you stop caring about what weapon you're using, because it ultimately doesn't matter at all.

Not to mention the fact that this "feature" also ruins exploration, since the only rewards to be found in chests now are these shitty, replaceable weapons.
>>
>>386286119
That's because you have a tragic combination of shit taste and autism.
>>
Wasn't Zelda 2 renowned for artificially padding the game length by putting you at the start of the game after you used up your lives instead of the start of the dungeon.

The series is known for doing this kind of thing.

Also the folks saying that medieval weapons broke quite often do not appreciate why maces, axes and straight swords are a thing.
>>
>>386292127
>Real weapons used in real combat broke, and they broke (or bent) a lot. The reason is that in combat speed kills, that sword that was lighter and more fragile but swung faster than the other guys would give you a better chance to kill the other guy before he killed you.

Yh if you're a shithead and you don't take care of your weapons like Link apparently is.
>>
>>386295129
are you seriously bring up a fucking nes game as a comparison?
>>
>>386293912
Even the most basic inventory system does not take long to navigate and only the most ADHD would be so enraged by a moment of relaxing downtime while you take inventory.
It's hardly hollow when you still have plenty of use out of weapons.
Improvised exploration would always pay out in the form of equipment anyway, both at the end and on the way, and it's not so huge a loss that it should dissuade anyone looking at it realistically.
>>
Crysis 2/3 > Crysis 1/Warhead
>>
>>386296775
Yean, no. It's pretty hollow. Go fuck your mum
>>
>>386286119
You already can, and it ruins the game
>>
>>386258456
I can agree with this mostly. I never felt like things broke too quickly, instead i always felt like I was finding more good stuff than I had room for. Rarely did I have more than 3 or 4 empty slots at any point. I didn't even use runes all that much, timestop when it helped, sneak attacks when enemies were sleeping, strong weapons for stronger enemies.
>>
>>386259575
The first 2/3rds of Cata were top tier. Retooling heroics to actually be fun, T11 was great, T12 was good. T13 might be the most dogshit raid in the game. And then comes the more than year long content drought. Ruined the expansion with such tenacity it almost feels on purpose
>>
>>386297494
Well done. You only proved beyond a doubt that you're nothing but a crybaby.
>>
>>386296775
Inventory management is work. It is not fun. It isn't relaxing. It isn't a matter of an attention deficit. It is a matter of doing something that is not fun instead of something that is fun.

Improvised exploration pays out in the form of shitty shit that will break. If it is good shit it will still break. It makes you want to just not bother and stick to quests because story isn't going to break on you. It robs you of feeling rewarded for exploring. The only exploration that is worth it is when you get a permanent reward. This comes in the form of spirit orbs or materials needed to upgrade your armor. And, taking a point less of damage isn't very exciting.
>>
The weapon durability didn't add anything at all.

The weapons are all incredibly similar and there's no real tactical edge gained from using different kinds. What do I do differently with a spear or a greatsword? Nothing, because combat boils down to getting flurry rush if you want to play it as tryhard as possible. Even if you don't play like that, this isn't Dark Souls. The weapon speeds and animations are not a big deal, they're all fast and easy to use without getting hit in return.

Nothing about BOTW was improved by durability.
>>
Fallout was never good.
>>
>>386258456
After putting down over 140 hours in botw, I am certain people who complain about the durability are casual faggots.
>>
>>386299859

It's not bad, but it didn't add anything meaningful to the game.

Having a limited amount of weapons that each had different move sets, abilities, etc is always more interesting.
>>
>>386299859
>casual faggots

How did weapon durability make the game harder exactly?
>>
File: 1491105584603.gif (2MB, 700x387px) Image search: [Google]
1491105584603.gif
2MB, 700x387px
The first Devil May Cry is the best in the series.
>>
>>386300002
>>386299954
It didn't necessarily make the game harder. It seemed like the intention was to force the player to make difficult choices and possibly even get creative with how they survive.

I also looked at it as a design choice that reflected the disposiblity and frailty of the world after the cataclysm.

I actually was sad that armor was indestructible.
>>
>>386300002
Not him, but it forced you to explore to have good weapons. otherwise you only got shitty enemy weapons and the higher level white enemies usually break 1 and a half weapons, so it makes you run at a loss. Also means you need to do more dodging or use the shield
>>
>>386298371
Got my (You) ya dumb nigger.
>>
>>386300321

Exploring to farm weapons is inherently tedious, people should be exploring to discover new content, not to farm resources.
>>
some people don't seem to understand zelda isn't an rpg
>>
File: 1471315845684.gif (427KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1471315845684.gif
427KB, 400x400px
I prefer Bros. attacks being consumable items in Partners in Time rather than having SP like in other Mario and Luigi games.
>>
>>386300508
It's not really farming, you explore and get reward with weapons and crafting stuff for solving puzzles/finding secrets. The new content is inherently linked to the better weapons. Farming would be killing enemies for certain weapons and then waitting for the blood moon to get them again, but only one enemy is worth doing that too and even then it's far more risk than reward. The exploring makes the experience as a whole way easier, exploring leads you to explore more faster, but if you ignore that huge portion of the game and just focus on the main mission it'll be a much harder experience. The difficulty curve is basically set by how much you explore, by then end you are OP if you even explored 1/4th of the map. I beat calamity cannon only breaking one weapon, and that's only because I threw it at him
>>
>>386299551
not even the more rpg games?
>>
So why is Botw a walking simulator?
>>
>>386301507
For me it was a parkour/glider/Revali's Gale simulator. The horse mechanics were fuckin stupid and running is for people escaping their gay thoughts.
>>
>>386298682
>Inventory management is work. It is not fun. It isn't relaxing.
In your opinion, because for some reason you detach it from everything else and only ever concern yourself with the other side of gameplay, and deny yourself the satisfaction of steady preparation. Again I've never found an inventory system in any game to be quite that awful.
>shitty shit that will break
>story isn't going to break on you
Yeah this is almost entirely your own view skewing everything. It's blatantly obvious from this. You can't handle enjoying and planning around the moment for whatever reason.
>>386300348
Could I get your argument next?
>>
File: 1489725541850.jpg (124KB, 1200x862px) Image search: [Google]
1489725541850.jpg
124KB, 1200x862px
Warframe is fun because it's grindy but it's at least somewhat fair about it.
>>
>>386301827
Steady preparation is tedious. I don't think anyone ever prepared a bunch of shit for a long journey and thought, "That was so much fun." The journey is the fun part. Preparation is not.

The weapons are shit. They break extraordinarily quickly. The steel weapons can't be repaired and you can't even assess how many hits you have left before it will break.

Planning around the moment? You can't plan if is happening that moment. Do you mean improvisation?

I enjoy the game. I just have no desire to play it very much because the tedious process of managing my weapon supply wears me out. If they could have just implemented a repair system like other games (and real life) have then it would be much more satisfying. They could implement rare weapons with cool abilities/enchantments, too. But, of course, that isn't worth it if the shit just breaks constantly.
>>
>>386304424
I guess I pity you then, if you really can't feel satisfied by taking it easy and having a moment to check your inventory and can only rush forward in games. But you can pick up weapons as you go anyway, and many weapons show up, not to mention you have access to many other abilities besides to use alongside them. Pretty sure you would get a feel for how long a weapon would take until it breaks by simply using it as well. Being able to plan and assess each situation as it comes is it's own kind of fun, just because something will eventually break doesn't detract from that or from it's worth at all, instead you can think about what you can use it for, or just use it anyway since you'll get more later if that really bothers you. I guess it's improvisation in a sense, but it only makes such things even more valuable. Just calling an aspect of gameplay tedious doesn't mean much, especially one you can adjust yourself on the fly with all the weapons you get anyway. Come at it from the game's angle for a change.
>>
>>386258456
>It find it makes you be creative and plan your attacks more thoughtfully and be more resourceful
They could have done this by designing interesting encounters and design the enemies in such a way that using different weapon types will give you definitive advantages, but instead they just paste a bunch of moblins and make your shit break. Weapon durability is not interesting.
>>
>>386258456
It means sometimes you have to go farm some extra weapons and if there's something casuals hate then it's having to do extra work.
>>
File: seriously.png (334KB, 1921x1080px) Image search: [Google]
seriously.png
334KB, 1921x1080px
>>386258456
>>386259094
>>386259429
>>386259442
>The player needs to be engaged, be challenged, be interested in the fight, have a reason for fighting, and he has to plan his strategy. These are the pillars of a good encounter

>Great! Ill have my team working on a varied, complex, and interactive combat engine. You get your team working on tons of varied enemies and call Satoshi from quest design and have him develop deep and meaningful combat scenarios and encounters

>yeah! sure, we'll get right on that!

*mutual laughter*

>fuck it have the sword break so that we dont have to do any fucking work and the player gets bogged down with tedium instead of gameplay

>ill use the extra time to hide Iwata's bladder medication hahaha its going to be hilarious
>>
>>386260123
I just recently finished a second playthrough on master mode and just like the original game it was only an issue at the start since enemies start with +1 upgrade to them. Once the +10 attack weapons started popping up it stopped being an issue of running out of weapons.
>>
I think the constant damage control that BOTW fans have to engage in says a lot about whether or not durability is a good mechanic.
>>
Fuck you, I liked it.
Yes, even NLA themes and Black Tar
>>
>>386308187
I haven't even played the game and I think the people complaining about it are retarded. Thinking a mechanic can only ever be bad when it's just one piece of the videogame puzzle and can be implemented in countless ways is a retarded thing to think.
>>
>>386308671
>one piece of the videogame puzzle
What if the puzzle itself is bad?
>>
>Pokemon is a fucking bad RPG, all of them
>I prefer Donkey Kong Country 3 over the 1 and 2
>I prefer Zelda II over Zelda I
>>
>>386308857
Well since you're being entirely vague and not really specifying anything about what point you're trying to make I'd say you're doing exactly what I was talking about.
>>
>>386306324

There is nothing to pity. I find it hilarious that you think you can pass something tedious off as being fun.

Things breaking is fine. Not being able to repair them is ridiculous. People don't thrash their weapons until they snap in the middle of combat if they can help it. They get them repaired as a part of their journey preparation. That is something that exists in real life and many other games that this game denies you.

In real life and in other games you can assess the health of weapons. You don't have to get a feel for it. You can simply see by observable damage or at least a number or a bar that shows how urgent it is for you to repair the item. But, they didn't have to bother with that because you can't repair them anyway.

It is difficult to plan if the game denies you a way to assess how much longer you can use a weapon and doesn't allow you to repair them just to be completely prepared.

I am not adjusting myself on the fly. I am hacking away with weapons of varying damage and durability and being forced to run away if the game doesn't present me with the weapons that I need to defeat the current enemies at hand.

I don't need to come at it from the game's angle. Some things are fun and some things are not fun. Pretending something that isn't fun is actually fun is what you're proposing.

Please point out what exactly is fun about this process of managing unrepairable weapons.
>>
>>386306705
Do you enjoy making your own butter by hand? Or do you prefer buying it at the store? More work doesn't mean it is more fun. If you enjoy doing more work then you are just a masochist and you will need to understand that not everyone is a masochist.
>>
>>386310904
I agree with you, but I wonder why food analogies are so hard to escape on /v/.
>>
>>386306925
Running out of weapons isn't an issue for me. The issue is that I have to constantly manage a stable of weapons. It makes no sense at all. I don't get excited when I get a weapon because it will simply break and it won't do anything other than deal damage. I can't obtain a rare weapon and maintain it. I just have to carry around a bundle of trash at all times.
>>
>>386311010
I would imagine that food analogies are hard to escape anywhere because people tend to be familiar with eating food.
>>
>>386311301
That makes sense.
>>
>>386258456
Mankind Divided is a far better game than Human Revolution and the only reason more people don't share this opinion is because the story was MGSV'd.
>>
>>386311135
What rare weapons are you talking about? The game has copies of all the weapons everywhere. I had 6 goddamn Savage Lynel bows by the end
>>
Weapon durability pissed me off my first playthrough but by my second I realized it wasn't that big a deal. Just always use your weakest weapon and you've always got two or three powerful weapons that you'll probably never use unless you want to.
>>
>>386311492
That is my point. There are no cool enchanted weapons to collect because any weapon other than the master sword will break. Even if there was a variety of cool weapons with different modifiers there would still be no reason to get excited because there is no way to repair them anyway.

So, you just are constantly hauling trash around that you don't care about.

I would like to be able to find rare weapons and take care of them instead of having to manage trash.
>>
I think Zelda pulls it off alright because the sheer quantity of weapons means they're more disposable tools. Once you get into that mindset you find that there's plenty of reason to pick up new weapons rather than rely on Straight Sword +10. The downside is that finding a new weapon will almost never be exciting due to the disposability and shared movesets.

On a side-note, I was kind of glad the Master Sword was merely a crutch weapon of sorts. The reasons behind it running out of power are kind of flimsy but after using it in more than a dozen games I'm glad to see other weapons compete.

There's been enough complaints about weapon durability that they'll probably axe the system next game and we'll back to the Master Sword being the end-all weapon.
>>
>>386311978
It's not trash though, you easily get weapons close to power to the charged master sword by the midway point in the game. You aren't supposed to get attached to weapons, the whole game is about exploring and experimenting. Even then if you are a stickler for unique weapons, you can remake each of the Champion's weapons at their towns as many times as you like
>>
>>386258456
Maybe not unpopular but...

Competitive gaming has ruined any form of fun a player can derive from a game solo and removes any form of guess work when it comes to certain games.

Card games are plagued by this and it makes them shit, no one cares about fun in games with meta. Anyone who does gets shit on verbally and has to work way harder than the people who do follow meta. It takes out the main point of a game at it's core, TO HAVE FUN.
>>
>>386310702
Well if you want to stick with your buzzword then fine.
>using real life as the main example in a Zelda game
>then act like learning the quality of something through using it isn't a thing
Weapon types are a thing, even in this thread people know how long different types last.
Maybe you should try using something other than just hacking with weapons then, there's many options that the game wants you to use and you might even enjoy them.
It's fun because it presents a new puzzle in combat and exploration, while always keeping you thinking about how you can make use of what you have to the best of it's ability. It can be fun to get put into a deadly situation and claw your way out with what you can get your hands on, surviving purely on reactions and targeting what will give you the most firepower. If I only blindly mashed buttons and thought of videogames as work I probably wouldn't enjoy it either, but that's not what it is or has to be at all.
>>
>>386258456
>I always am running out of inventory space rather than weapons.
This is the most important part. If weapons broke less, players would have to spend even more time juggling which weapons to keep. Then what? Larger inventory? Nobody wants to scroll past 30 weapons to get the thunderblade. Also, weapons would be meaningless at that point.

>>386259094
>The people that complain about it just want games that play themselves as near as I can tell
>>386259429
>It's always the rookies complaining about it.
>It's a common phase, that fortunately most people get over with, and finally "get" the style this game wants you to embrace. You're never getting "good gear you get to keep forever", you instead get a pile of varying kinds of CONSUMABLE tools. This enforces exploration, experimentation, and even adds some extra layers of tactical thinking to the mix.

Both well said. Good thread.
>>
>>386278320
Even back when it came out, it played badly. Chapter 3 onward is where the true strengths of the game show.
>>
>>386312219
It is all trash. Even though the weapons do good damage they will all break. I understand that I am not supposed to get attached to weapons. That is a shame. That prevents any possibility of finding something cool. It will all break anyway. So, it is all just trash to be bashed to pieces. None of the weapons feel special except for the master sword... kind of.

The champion's weapons are simply weapons that break that you can have re-made. It is a waste of time to even bother doing that because they don't do anything special anyway. This is my point. All of the weapons are simply junk you have to manage between encounters instead of simply moving on to the next encounter immediately.
>>
>>386314879
Just because a weapon breaks doesn't diminish it's cool factor or how special it is when you have it. If anything it makes it more special because of how fleeting but important it might be when you do use it.
>>
>>386313345
Which buzzword am I using? I am using normal words as far as I can tell.

No, I am using other games and real life to illustrate how ridiculous it is to not be able to repair weapons. People don't carry twelve swords with them on an adventure. It makes zero sense and it isn't fun.

I know weapon types are a thing. There hardly any variation between them. The only thing you care about is how many you need to have in order to kill whatever you are trying to kill. If you don't have enough or the right ones then you have to go to some obscure location and gather more to go back. Or, if this game was functioned like other games or real life... you could simply repair a good weapon and then go fight. This is tediousness for the sake of it.

I know there are other ways do defeat enemies. But, those other abilities don't let you kill Lynels in a reasonable amount of time. It would take many bombs. That is a waste of my time and boring.

You get to survive on reactions whether your weapons break or not. The combat in this game wouldn't change. You just wouldn't have to constantly switch to the next weapon after you break weapon after weapon on your enemies. I don't blindly mash buttons and I don't think of fighting enemies in game as work unless the combat sucks. The combat in BoTW is great. The lack of a repair system sucks. The lack of interesting weapons sucks. Managing inventory is not fun for me.
>>
>>386315341
Yes, it does diminish the cool factor. Because every weapon other than the master sword is simply an item that does X amount of damage and will break after you hit something with it Y times. That is extremely bland. Just because they have different skins and durability doesn't change the fact that the weapon selection is extremely bland and uninteresting.
>>
>>386259094
>Whats the point of being able to pick up that bokogoblins short sword after you kill him if you've already got one?
What's the point in killing the bokogoblin in the first place if it requires you to waste a weapon (2 in master mode) to do so?
>>
>>386316073
Because it is fun to kill shit. Or... it should be. But, it is pretty lame when the game artificially discourages you from having fun.
>>
>>386259094
I think it's more of a "nothing feels good to find" thing for me. None of the quest rewards are anything other than some rupees or milk, or it's not worth doing a question for a neat weapon because I can go get a shitty bobokin club in 1/10th the time and kill 7 enemies instead of 9 with my ultra special reward sword. So I don't do any fetch or kill quests because none of the rewards are worth it.
>>
>>386315656
"Tedious" is the word people use when they try to disguise the fact that they don't want to play a game for it's gameplay for whatever reason. The rest of your post and those you've made till now point to this.
It's a videogame, other games do something similar and use it well, Dead Rising for example.
They don't have their own movesets, strengths and weaknesses? Maybe you're discounting their variances, but you're certainly discounting how you can use weapons alongside your other tools and how you can enter a fight as well, because anything like that would be tedious after all. The rest of your post pretty much proves this.
>>386315843
Awfully reductionist to be looking at it like that isn't it?
>>
>>386259094
>Whats the point of being able to pick up that bokogoblins short sword after you kill him if you've already got one?
>There isn't a point

You know, there are absolute SHITLOADS of games that have already found ways around this "problem" that don't revolve around you menu diving for gear every encounter. Break that shit down for parts, sell it for money, make the weapon itself required for upgrades or quests or something, throw some random stats or effects on there, or fuck let you stock pile throwing gear. Maybe don't make weapons drop like candy - my inventory was fucking full well before I finished the tutorial. Swapping crap out all the time isn't very fucking fun. Dropping weak shit to pick up strong shit is stupid. Picking up weak shit because my strong shit broke is even worse. It adds jack shit to the experience and just bogs the whole thing down.

"I'll just skip that guy because he's not worth my time" isn't some huge tactical decision - it's me actively wanting to avoid gameplay. How is that good in any way?
>>
>>386318448
That was an issue for me as well. I skipped almost all unnecessary combat so I wouldn't break shit. I probably ran past 80-90% of the enemies in the game. Got to keep my inventory full of cool shit that way though
>>
>>386281680
I don't entirely disagree with you but
>The dungeons were boring and a drag.
They were a million times more interesting than the ones in Persona 3 or 4 though.
>And the music was just kinda alright.
Obviously this will depend on what kind of music you like since the games all settle on different genres (personally I find Persona 4's OST to be the weakest between the three) but I still feel compelled to call you a faggot.
>>
File: 1501294989111.png (304KB, 706x499px) Image search: [Google]
1501294989111.png
304KB, 706x499px
>>386308309
>Fuck you, I liked it.
Me too anon. I'm happy that there's at least one person that-
>Yes, even NLA themes
>NLA Night
Nevermind, eat shit.
>>
>>386258456
weapon durability is never fun in any game
>>
>>386277284
>a significant decrease in preparation and strategy required before and during fights
There isn't any, make sure you have a full inventory and go forward.
>>
File: Arizona.jpg (31KB, 458x406px) Image search: [Google]
Arizona.jpg
31KB, 458x406px
I think VTMB is overrated on /v/

>Locations are small
>Combat is kind of clunky and stealth is broken
>Sewer quest is horible
>Last 1/3 of game is unfinished

The game is a solid 7 out of 10 (Where 5 is average. Not bad like on ign scale)
>>
I think Prey(2017) is a modern masterpiece,both technically and in terms of level design.
It's easily my personal GOTY.
>>
File: Sephiroth-FFVIIArt.png (1MB, 1680x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Sephiroth-FFVIIArt.png
1MB, 1680x1200px
Sephiroth is an extremely weak villain whose personality constantly changes based on what the plot needs him to do next. One minute he's described as the most legendary badass with the strongest willpower on the planet, the next he loses his marbles and goes on a killing spree almost immediately after finding out he's a test tube baby from space, then he's back to having willpower so strong he can bend Jenova to his will. Not to mention the fact that he has all these super awesome deus ex machina powers at his disposal yet he never actually tries to stop the party from opposing him besides a certain famous moment in the game. He's easily the worst part of the original FF7.
>>
>>386258456
>pick weapon
>smash smash smash break
>pick next weapon
>smash smash smash break
might as well let you pick a favorite weapon and stick with it
>>
>>386276034
I have many complaints about TLOU but being a "cinematic experience" is not one of them. Hell the majority of my favorite games have a heavy focus on story over gameplay.
>>
Despite growing up as a Sony kid I've grown to hate Sony themselves with a passion for constantly shitting on their loyal consumers and almost always getting away with it.
>>
>>386323109
>>Locations are small
t. open world shitter
one VtM:B location has more content than the entirety of Witcher 3 or any AssCreed
>>
FFIV may have engendered the linear dramafest but VI was the game where Square stopped giving a fuck about making their gameplay even serviceable.
>>
File: Magitsbox.jpg (26KB, 250x323px) Image search: [Google]
Magitsbox.jpg
26KB, 250x323px
This game honestly kind of sucks.
>>
File: 1405573983627.jpg (52KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1405573983627.jpg
52KB, 500x375px
>>386259575
The Burning Crusade sucked, the best thing about vanilla was the richness of the overworld and lore and the hopes that everyone had about the game becoming even better than the DAoC rip off it was. BC was just a pizza of bland one dimensional zones with nothing you cared about that you skipped altogether once you unlocked skyboxing, it further solidified terrible BG PvP over open world PvP (flying mounts being the deathknell), tried to balance PvE with BG PvP and Arena PvP and completely fucked up, killed 40 man raids and introduced token grinding and charity epics to cater to casuals, not to mention the complete indecisiveness on professions and how important they should be. Wotlk was much better than BC. Only BC babbies and casual shitters who couldn't hack it tin vanilla praise BC like it was the peak of WoW.

Burning Crusade was garbage.
>>
>>386265248
On the plus side, I liked how rain made lightning-based attacks 2x stronger, it somehow felt better than just one shotting fire/ice enemies with the other element
>>
>>386258456
I don't mind durability, but I do believe the game would benefit from towns having an armory to buy stuff from and or a smithy to keep your weapons from breaking to give a sense of attachment to your weapon or even upgrading them by dismantling others (closest I remember right now is Parasite Eve 1, you could make a handgun better than a rocket launcher there), that way you could stick to a preferred weapon type or simply give your gear some flavor, this mostly because race weapons are weak as hell and only have niche uses, like the gerudo bow being basically a sniper or the drillshaft just being a very fast pickaxe
>>
>>386260210
well why don't you provide us some good arguements as why the mechanick is shit? I haven't even played botw and these
>>386259094
>>386259429
>>386259442
are pretty good arguments, instead of saying "it's gud cuz uhh fuck you u just mad cuz bad". Because that's what your argument is right now
>>
>>386258456
bump
>>
>>386326103
>VtM:B location has more content than the entirety of Witcher 3

Let's not lie.
Thread posts: 204
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.