[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Happens To Our Video Games If Or When Steam Shuts Down?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: 1422355144046.jpg (105KB, 1050x720px) Image search: [Google]
1422355144046.jpg
105KB, 1050x720px
What Happens To Our Video Games If Or When Steam Shuts Down?
>>
you can play them in offline mode

next question
>>
>>386242258
>HE FUCKING BELIEVES THIS WILL WORK
LOL

Enjoy Papa Steam taking all your video games away.

PC Mustard race my fucking ass.
>>
Its been a long day without you, my friend
>>
>>386242109
Some devs will probably make your keys valid on a different platform. Remember what happened when people stopped using GFWL?
And yes, you'll almost certainly lose a lot of less popular titles becase most of them wouldn't give a shit about you.
>>
>>386242109
You'll be the same as me, a cuck.
>>
it's been the concern of several people back then. somehow, steam's grown to the huge force that it is now.

this shit used to just be for cs 1.6
>>
>>386242109

Then just download the pirated versions. You already paid for the exact same shit so there is no shame in it.
>>
>>386242519
>Remember what happened when people stopped using GFWL?
That's exactly the problem, plenty of popular games were never patched out of GFWL and are completely unplayable to this day.

DRM is the silent cancer.
>>
>>386242109
>steam
>shutting down

Don't worry, humanity will drive itself into extinction through nuclear warfare before that's anywhere near happening.
>>
>>386242959
It can't be helped.
Isn't GFWL still somewhat active?
>>
>>386243003
>Gabe takes a huge shit on the Steam servers
>can't play my favorite game for three days until the servers get fixed
LOL
>>
>>386242109
Steam would release a runnable patch that unlocks the game files from requiring steam to run. DRM companies would also release a seperate patch that would "disassociate" or "un-integrate" copies of the game with their certificate servers for validation checking unlocking all games DRM handler by key escrow either from company or steam itself.
>>
>>386242109
You pirate the damn thing
>>
I dont really care, if steam crashed i would just lock my door and play dwarf fortress and unreal world till i starved.
>>
>>386242361
Install game from steam. Delete steam and see if you can keep playing.
>>
File: 8c5c843e.jpg (165KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
8c5c843e.jpg
165KB, 1280x720px
>>386242109
Bittorrent.
>>
>>386244451
>Steam would release a runnable patch that unlocks the game files from requiring steam to run.
I really doubt that. It's up to content owners to release their games without DRM, not Valve. And I'm sure a lot of content owners would much rather their customers get fucked than have DRM-free copies of their games floating around. They could probably claim damages if Valve did that. In reality, you'd all just get fucked, the same as when any other service shuts down.
>>
>>386245132
With most games you can't. You can't run Steam games without Steam.

Nobody gives a shit about Steam DRM because it was literally cracked over a decade ago and Valve never did anything about it. But it is still real.
>>
>>386245132
This only works with DRM-free games released on Steam. There are some of those. Other games use Steam itself as DRM and will not run without it.
>>
>>386242645
Post pics of your gf/wife.
>>
On the bright side, it doesn't seem like steam is going to go down anytime soon, so our various games that are being held hostage will be safe.
Except if you get banned or your account stolen
>>
>>386245598
Steam would only release a patch that would not require games to use their client to run. The games themselves, and the DRM software platform are a different story. The patch releasing the software from their certificate servers does not mean you can just go put it up online for free and expect it to work.

That specific copy of the game would only work for that one machine it was installed on. At least, until foreign hackers find away to infiltrate the code. Either way, they can't just say "get fucked" if they want to stay a company and comply with the agreements they made with Steam. They would simply use the patch to unlock the software for that specific machine.
>>
Is it a smart idea to have a computer or two with all your games and NEVER connect it to the internet after downloading them all? Like a console in a PC.
>>
>>386246402
Why not just make a NAS?
>>
>>386246512
A what? I'm not that much into computers...
>>
>>386246231
>That specific copy of the game would only work for that one machine it was installed on.
That's not really possible and is tantamount to releasing the game without DRM. There aren't really any identifiers for a specific PC that can't just be spoofed. That's why Steam DRM uses your Steam credentials instead.

>Either way, they can't just say "get fucked" if they want to stay a company and comply with the agreements they made with Steam.
I don't get what you're saying here. It's not Valve's call to make and the content owners don't have to do anything. Kinda like how they can shut down multiplayer servers and tell you to fuck yourself, even if the game was completely reliant on those servers to have any functionality whatsoever.
>>
How Can Steam Be Real If Our Games Aren't Real?
>>
>>386246648
You need to learn more about encryption and software infrastructure.

>>386246640
I'm basically trying to say that the software will become "unlocked" for the one machine it was previously installed on.
>>
>>386246640
Network Attached Storage.
>>
>>386246842
>You need to learn more about encryption and software infrastructure.
I'm a software engineer and deal with encryption all the time. Literally the only way they can do what you're saying they can do is if they use a TPM, which most computers don't have. If you're claiming otherwise, then explain yourself.
>>
>>386242109

theyll be moved to platforms that arent dead. See windows live games.
>>
>>386246948
I don't speak nerd.
>>
>>386247346
I'm not going to explain how encryption works to you, go ask a security engineer at your work if your so interested.

You say you're a software engineer and that you deal with encryption a lot but I highly doubt that if you are this baffled on how all of this is not only possible but is exactly how steam and partner companies work with them through their disaster recovery planning.
>>
>>386242109
>>386242361
what will happen to 4chan when the internet shuts down
>>
>>386247918
>I'm not going to explain how encryption works to you
Because you're talking out of your ass and don't actually understand what you're talking about.
>>
>>386247918
>but is exactly how steam and partner companies work with them through their disaster recovery planning.
Post a source for that. As far as I know none of the contracts for AAA games and Valve are public. Unless the publisher specifically gives the right to Valve to remove the DRM from their game in the event Steam shuts down, and there is no fucking way an entity like EA would do that, then Valve legally cannot do what you are saying, regardless of whether they could technically do it or not (they can't do that securely either).
>>
>>386242109
You can make backups of your Steam games, as in it's an actual feature in Steam. Then if the game uses Steam DRM or any other Steam-related features when the service is no longer available the dev would probably have to issue a patch in order to remove that functionality, or perhaps you could use some Steam emulator. Those already exist in various forms, for piracy in general.
>>
>>386246147
It doesn't have to be just DRM free, it also shouldn't use other Steam features, like cloud saves, workshop, multiplayer features, etc. Or the game should still manage to work in SP without those features being available, but I have no idea how many games are actually made that way. I imagine not many.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.