[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prey 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 15

What the hell went wrong? The gameplay footage from E3 2011 looked phenomenal. This was going to be Bladerunner as a video game but instead we got that shitty fucking reboot.
>>
Bethesda fucked them over
>>
What the fuck happened to this board?
I remember very distinctly four or five years ago people always saying "So glad Prey 2 got cancelled, it looked like it was gonna be total shit".
But when that got changed for nu-Prey suddenly everyone wants the old Prey 2 back?
What the fuck man.
>>
>>386222129
Turns out that Bethedsa were assholes.
That wouldn't have made Prey 2 good.
>>
>>386222219
It put things into perspective once we saw how shit that new Prey was.
>>
>>386222129

>gameplay footage

Go watch it again, it's a bullshit trailer made to look like it's gameplay
>>
>>386222219
Literally the opposite of reality. Back then we were mad that Prey 2 was cancelled.
>>
File: untitledp5q9j.png (37KB, 482x253px) Image search: [Google]
untitledp5q9j.png
37KB, 482x253px
>>386222129
>>
File: 1427459797677.gif (13KB, 750x528px) Image search: [Google]
1427459797677.gif
13KB, 750x528px
>but instead we got that shitty fucking reboot.
It's not a reboot, remake, or anything like that. It has nothing in common with the original Prey besides some superficial similarities and the name, which was forced onto the game purely so that Bethesda/Zenimax wouldn't lose the rights.

>the best immersive sim since Deus Ex is forever going to get shat on by mongoloids upset over the fact that it shares the same name as a mediocre FPS from 2006 and a canceled open world game that had nothing going for it besides a CGI trailer and a scripted E3 demo, two things that rarely represent the actual game
>>
>>386222129
>What the hell went wrong?
Developer was insanely arrogant and over-ambitious, found himself locked in development hell, publisher got sick of sinking money into it and cut the project.
It's not exactly a new or rare story. Human Head have always been pretty incompetent an direction-less and making massive bloated promises they never were able to deliver on.

>The gameplay footage from E3 2011 looked phenomenal.
Yeah, and remember how amazing the E3 footage for No Man's Sky looked? Oh, oh, and the Watch Dogs E3 footage! What a fucking amazing thing!
Also, it actually kinda didn't. It was purely scripted, clearly not part of the main game as it followed the ancient pre-rendered trailer script, the A.I. was braindead, the gunplay looked like absolute shit and things eventually boiled down to fucking cover-based shooting with plently of minor gimmicks.

>This was going to be Bladerunner as a video
Why do people who had never SEEN Bladerunner keep saying this shit?
Fuck you, no. The art direction was fucking hidoues, it looked like something rejected from fucking Prequel startwars for fuck sake!
>>
>>386222573
no, theres actual beta footage
it was just a generic fps with a lot of gimmick weapons
>>
>>386222615
No. Nobody gave two flying shits back then. People only starter throwing tantrums about Prey 2 after Nu-Prey was half-way in development and Human Head started was actually, objetively speaking a slanter campaign.

Prey 2 was NOT a highly anticipated game around here, and nobody gave two flying shits about it back around 2011. And when the news of it not meeting basic quality standards were released, everybody was laughing like mad trying to figure out just HOW COMPLETELY had the developer fucked up if they could not meet Beths standards.
>>
File: 1480198633627.gif (3MB, 350x193px) Image search: [Google]
1480198633627.gif
3MB, 350x193px
>The gameplay footage from E3 2011 looked phenomenal. This was going to be Bladerunner as a video
La-fucking-mao. Not to say prey reboot was amazing, it was just okay, but prey 2 with cover system and "you can see your enemies through the walls" shit
>looked phenomenal
Come on.
>>
>>386223158
Hi newfag. Everyone was throwing a fit back then over Prey 2's cancellation because it was the best looking game of that year.
>>
File: 1418546452206.png (34KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
1418546452206.png
34KB, 400x250px
>tfw you read what the devs had planned for the ending
>>
>>386222959
I think it was retarded to force the Prey name for the sake of not losing rights but Arkane isn't to blame for that. They made a great game but now have to suffer from people who wanted Prey 2.
I'd honestly be okay with Arkane trying the alien bounty hunter that Prey 2 was going for. I'd trust them to do something interesting with it.
>>
>>386222959
>so that Bethesda/Zenimax wouldn't lose the rights.
Why do people keep peddling this lie? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you?
Prey's rights were never time limited? They had not rented them for fuck sake: this is not MASSIVE third-party-owned comic book universe franchise: this is an obscure IP for a major disppointment of a series bought from dying publisher.
There was no fucking risk of losing right? Who the fuck did you think they would lose the rights to for fuck sake?

>>386223269
AHAHAHAHAHAHA what a beautiful fucking historical revisionism.
2011 was the year when DX:HR leaked, The Witcher 2 and Portal 2 and Battlefield and Rage and Bulletstorm were coming out you fucking retard. "Best looking game that year my ass".
>>
>>386223542
What did they have planned?
>>
>>386222959

I bet you fucking loved Bioshock Infinite.
>>
File: IMG_1277.jpg (145KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1277.jpg
145KB, 500x333px
>>386222129
I spent $40 when the new game was on sale. Thought I was gonna really like it, since it was by Arkane and I love Dishonored. Literally the most boring game I've played this generation, with fucking horrible gameplay.
>>
>>386223781
I can write a quick summery, but I recommend watching this:
https://youtu.be/0KcV3O_SODk
>>
>>386223821
Not him but is it popular to not like infinite on this board now?
>>
>>386223718
Arkane was actually pretty hugely opposed to the idea of making a Prey game, apparently. The old leaked email communication (that at the time NOBODY BELIEVED, but turned out to be legit) suggested that Bethesda was trying to push the Prey IP on Arkane for months, ultimately saying "You know what? We just need you to use the name. Make whatever you want: seriously, this is your option to make your dream game, we'll let you do that thing you always dreamed to do, just use the bloody name because we need to shut up our investors."

Turns out Arkane was really not fond of the Prey IP and really, really did not think the idea Human Head was making was very good either.

>>386223542
>>386223781
It's COMPLETELY RETARDED. And the fucking morons had the audacity to claim it was "most amazing twist ever made in a game". Speaks volumes about how delusional HH are.

Basically, the twist was that every time the player died and respawned, it wasn't just a mechanical trick, but rather, he really died and was replaced by a clone. At the end you'd find it when you'd find a room full of dead (you's) who made it this far.
Except it's not really interesting and it actually also makes absolutely zero sense when you start thinking about it. It was not even tied to the rest of the main story properly, it had nothing to do with the villain and his motivations or anything. It's just... a complete gimmick, reveal for the sake of reveal.
>>
>>386223973

>caring about what the majority thinks

I dont care if every single person i met in my life told me that game was great I'd still feel the same.

Just for stating that you've outed yourself as a fucking moron.
>>
>>386223912
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. A previous thread talked about this. I honestly like the idea. Games that have game mechanics as part of the plot make me hard every time.
I can see how it could be seen as cheap but done right, it'd be a great moment.
>>
>>386223973
>but is it popular to not like infinite on this board now?
>now
>>
>>386223821
>I bet you fucking loved Bioshock Infinite.
Oh the irony of people shitting on new Prey, the actually most faithful System Shock 2 sequel ever made, while defending Human Head concept of Prey 2. You people do know that Human Head was actually responsible for a major portion of Bioshock Infinity's level design and gunplay fine-tuning, right?
>>
>>386224474
>You people do know that Human Head was actually responsible for a major portion of Bioshock Infinity's level design and gunplay fine-tuning, right?
Gonna need a source on that one champ
>>
>>386224474

Wow. So the same people had a hand in murdering two ips i liked. Makes sense.
>>
File: 1463517176446.jpg (79KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
1463517176446.jpg
79KB, 460x345px
>>386224186
>It's COMPLETELY RETARDED.
I admit that it would need to be incredibly well thought out to actually pull it off but I don't think there's anything inherently bad about the idea.
I said in this post >>386224303
how I love game mechanics connecting to the story and not just a sort of non-canon, purely gameplay reason. If it had no real connection to the story, yeah, it's kinda cheap. Still could've worked with a bit of tweaking.
And I can see why Arkane wouldn't want to use the name. They knew they'd get hate just for using the name. I wonder if there's anything particular about original Prey they disliked enough to stand up to Zenimax so strongly.
>>
>>386223821
Sorry to ruin your presumption, but I fucking loathe that game.

Fun fact, Human Head (the developers of your precious Prey and canceled game) were outsourced to work on that mess of a game.
>>
>>386224186
>It's COMPLETELY RETARDED
Well, I wouldn't call it the most amazing twist, but I liked it.
It's taking the game mechanics and letting them be part of the story. It's a nice way of doing a twist, without it coming out of nowhere.
>>
>>386224538
Sure, why not?
https://www.humanhead.com/games
Scroll down a bit:
>Human Head Studios assisted Irrational Games in bringing their vision for BioShock Infinite to life, working both on site in Boston and with staff in Madison assisting in level design and development, combat systems design, optimization, and character, level and animation asset creation for this multi-platform first person shooter.

>>386224609
Which was the other IP?

>>386224624
>how I love game mechanics connecting to the story and not just a sort of non-canon,
While I understand this sentiment, the problem is that it does not actually connect mechanics to anything.
Outside of a whole SLEW of issues, like the fact that this actually failed to explain how player could restart older auto-saves during say, middle of a chase sequence after mis-judging a jump and killing himself accidentally), or fails to explain why nobody seems to be bothered to see the same guy coming up to life over and over, always appearing with the same memories and the same equipment too: the final reveal showing that hundreds of other You's already been near the end of the game completely contradicts what has already been established because you as a player have no recollection of that. It's not actually yours bodies.

And the worst part of it is... it really isn't connected to ANYTHING MORE. Like: there is actually no fucking further story relevance of this except for the reveal that Tony is a bit of an asshole, because he is the one summoning you. Also keeping the whole thing secret for god-knows why.

That is all. That is not actually connecting anything to anything. It's not actually part of the story. It's at absolute best a fucking in-joke.
>>
>>386224857
Yeah, also the idea of finishing the main plot, having a cutscene of growing old, having a family, die of old age, only to warp back to the clone is really cool. Like the video that was posted, it avoids the usual problem of having an actual finish to an open world game but still allowing the player to be back in the sandbox. Other games just have a reload before final mission, or kinda gloss over the ending, like Mad Max, but it would be even better if during this sort of NG+, the MC would acknowledge that he lived this idolized live but was now back in that world.
>>
File: 1482905183155.jpg (322KB, 1590x2389px) Image search: [Google]
1482905183155.jpg
322KB, 1590x2389px
say what you want about the cancelled prey 2 but at the very least the setting was fantastic and it was a shame it got cancelled
>>
>>386225158
It wasn't. It was actually fucking HIDEOUS. G.I. Joe level of fucking terrible.

And it's cancellation spawned nu-Prey which was one of the best games of last few years, so it actually feels pretty hard to feel sorry about it. Especially after what immense fucking pricks the developers were.
>>
>>386224959
The way you're describing then yes, it wouldn't be satisfying of a twist. Still, a bit of tweaking here and there to the overall plot, have the game mechanics follow more in line with the rules you're establishing for each new clone, and you have a good twist in your hands, one that isn't purely "WOW WHAT A TWIST AREN'T WE SMRT"
>>
>>386223823
fucking idiot, lol
>>
File: Prey.jpg (235KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Prey.jpg
235KB, 1920x1080px
God fucking damn it was shit
>>
>>386225270
Arkane's Prey would've happened either way, since it has no connection to the original. The difference is that it wouldn't be called Prey, it would be whatever they were originally thinking before Zenimax remembered they had this IP they had to justify to their investors.
>>
File: Prey.jpg (46KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
Prey.jpg
46KB, 700x525px
>>386225319
>Still, a bit of tweaking here and there to the overall plot,
Have you actually played their previous games? Because "bits of tweaks here and there to the overall plot" wasn't exactly their forté. These are the people responsible for the plot of original Prey, which has to be one of not only the dumbest, but honestly UGLY, INSULTING attempts at story telling I've ever seen.
Like: they are the people who made pic related scene.

>>386225420
Actually, that seems very unlikely. Because the creative freedom Arkane has been given has been very explicitly result of an agreement to take on the Prey IP in the first place. It was a tit-for-tat deal, "You'll tackle this piece of shit IP, and we'll let you do that dream game". I don't think it's very likely that nu-Prey would be made, or would be given as much actual creative freedom, if Bethesda wasn't under major pressure to utilize the Prey IP and having nobody else free to tackle it, thus being forced to negotiate unusual creative freedoms with Arkane.
>>
>>386225420
>Arkane's Prey would've happened either way, since it has no connection to the original

Arkane's Prey happened purely due to the cancelation of Prey 2, go look up the leaked emails from like 4 years ago
>>
>>386222129
>The gameplay footage from E3 2011 looked phenomenal
It didn't though. It looked completely average, just admit it's purely the plot/setting you like.
>This was going to be Bladerunner as a video game
You mean like Blade Runner the video game? whoah.
>>
>>386222129
I actually think Prey is easily one of the best games that came out these last few years
>>
>>386224414
Sorry, but Infinite is undeniably at least a very good game. I don't see the point of shaming someone for enjoying that.
>>
>>386225765
I can agree that the presentation and setting are pretty good, but what exactly is good about the completely mediocre gameplay & level design or the asinine story?
>>
>>386225870
I understand not liking the story, (however I did) but the gameplay is just more fast paced and refined than the first two games. It plays really, really good.
>>
>>386225765

>Undeniably

I get way too triggered over this. I know people are generally fucking stupid nowadays but Jesus Christ.

It SLAYS me that anybody found a single redeeming quality in bioshock infinite.
>>
>>386225596
I think Arkane would've tacked the System Shock style game one way or the other. The way I see it this happened.
They did Dishonored, garnered enough of a following and loyalty to justify a sequel. In the meantime, they discuss with Bethesda publishing to fund another game, since Arkane has Looking Glass people and they don't own the System Shock name, they want to go back to that setting, Bethesda remembers they have the Prey IP and try to impose it.
Arkane shows disinterest because they want something closer to System Shock. A bit of back and forth in both trying to convince the other until Bethesda caves in and realizes its best to let them do their own thing with the sole exception that it has to be named Prey.
>>
>>386225402
ALEX is FAT!
>>
>>386226068
>a single redeeming quality
Have you considered you are just being ignorant?
>>
>>386226068
I'm the opposite. It bothers me when people can't see any redeeming quality. This isn't some shitstain dev, asset flipping or stealing from google images like you see so many on Steam.
I'm sure if you try, you can find a least one thing positive about it. Even in games I hate, I can say one positive thing. It's too broad a statement to call these sort of AAA games without any redeeming qualities. The music, art style, certain moments, characters, a particularly satisfying game or mechanic. What, you literally can't find one good thing to say about it?
>>
>>386225707
>It didn't though. It looked completely average, just admit it's purely the plot/setting you like.
whacky gunslinging while doing parkour =/= not phenomenal
>>
>>386222129
No it wasn't. Admit it, you just a kido who like to memehate Bethesda.
>>
>>386222129
>fuck over one studio because the sequel to their mediocre game was going to be shit
>give IP to another studio who reworked it from scratch and made goty 2017
Yeah it never feels right when publisher fucks creators and shuts their project sown for any reason. But with Prey case I'm so fucking glad we got what we got and not gimmicky open world meme alien bounty hunter and god forbid direct sequel to the original prey.
>>
>>386226348
Not the guy you responded to.

I really disliked Infinite. If nothing else, it doesn't do a single thing better than the two previous games. Everything is like a worse version of Bioshock 1+2 - story, combat, atmosphere, characters, etc.
It seemed like the devs wanted to make something original, but still didn't want to stray too far from the popular Bioshock 1+2 games, so they ended up with a mess of a game.

Is it 100% horrible in every way? No, of course not. But the few good points aren't enough to make it a great, or even good, game. And it seems extra bad when compared to the previous games.
>>
arkane did a good job
>>
>>386226348
>Have you considered you are just being ignorant?
Have YOU considered that you might have just really low standards?
The game was not very good. It had pretty art direction and incredibly overproduced narrative which at times managed to result in a out-of-context good looking moments, but my god the game was not good mechanically. Even compared to its predecessors it was a step down in every respect: two weapon limit, awkward health-regen/infinite health kit systems, low enemy variety, terrible broken upgrade system, incredibly dull awkward gunplay with NONE of the tactical options of the previous games, uninteresting level design, virtually no exploration, even shallower RPG systems than what the already actually pretty damn disappointing Bioshock 1 had. And the story is just shit. That is all: it's shit. It's awful. A pretentious clusterfuck that makes zero sense even on most basic continuity level.

So no: Bioshock Infinite was no undeniably very good game. It was worse than it's predecessor in every respect and it's predecesor was already a major disappointment.
>>
File: 1495140008217.jpg (2MB, 3132x5428px) Image search: [Google]
1495140008217.jpg
2MB, 3132x5428px
daily reminder that the yu siblings did nothing wrong
>>
>this paid frenchman shill shittying up the thread
>>
T B H I was only interested in how it was gonna loop into System Shock from some rumor I heard about it either being a prequel or second sequel.
>>
>>386227067
>Fed Soviet prisoners to aliens
>Kept employees in the dark
>Wanted to "elevate all of humanity" with neuromods, which are made out of toxic alien matter, can't be used by people with certain conditions, and are only affordable by the wealthy
>January incarnation of Morgan figured that blowing up the station (instead of trying to fix the situation) would be the most optimal course of action if things go south

dindu nuffin
>>
>>386222129
Why do people still believe prerendered trailers? Everything looks awesome that way
>>
>>386227687
Anon, System Shock is an active franchise. System Shock is being remade and System Shock 3 is in the works as well.
>>
>>386225270
yeah games where you play as a lone human in a first encounter scenario are everywhere.
>>
>>386227742
The E3 demo showcase was not pre-rendered. It was some 11 minutes of real-time gameplay from a demo-build.

>>386227949
Wait, what? What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>386228014
what did you not understand
>>
>>386224186
> It's just... a complete gimmick, reveal for the sake of reveal.
You could say the exact same thing about the nu-Prey ending.
>>
File: 1501266372493.jpg (41KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1501266372493.jpg
41KB, 550x512px
>>386227731
>thinking that a few degenerates matter in the grand scheme of the ascension of humanity
>>
>>386227858
It was an old rumor, it was a good while before System Shock 3 or the remake of 1 were announced.
>>
>>386228137
Don't you mean
>the grand scheme of the ascension of the 1%, which ended up leading to the destruction of earth
>>
>>386228106
>what did you not understand
The things that you said.

What does being alone have to do with anything, what fucking first encounter scenario are you talking about? Are you talking about Prey 2 or Nu-Prey? How is this statement even fucking relevant to anything?

>>386228115
>You could say the exact same thing about the nu-Prey ending.
Oh yeah, fuck yeah. It's shit. Completely pointless, shit final twist that adds nothing to anything. Except Arkane aren't jumping around claiming how they have made the best most amazing twist ending ever. Also, they actually made a good game in the process.

But yeah: I'm not saying that proposed twist ending to Prey 2 was much worse than what we got in nu-Prey. It was worse because it actually did not make sense, as in it actually logically contradicted itself while nu-Prey did not, but both are clearly desperate to make a twist-for-twist sake and not really logically conclude the narrative.
>>
>>386222219
There's hundreds of people on any forum or message board. Just because you saw one opinion one day, doesn't mean those same people are online the next day.
>>
>>386222968
Todd, please!
>>
>>386228359
I made a post saying the setting of the cancelled prey was excellent. someone replied with an extremely off set comment about a retarded comparison to G.I Jane. I then replied to say user telling him of what a unique setting cancelled Prey actually was

ta-da
>>
>>386228359
also

>what fucking first encounter scenario are you talking about

if you don't know anything about the game why even bother shitting on it? typical fucking /v/
>>
>>386222129

Thestory. Boring shit honestly but the overall armospher eof the game is top notch. The monsters, the abilities gamplay is good albeit short and with no replay value. Post game content where monsters respawn adf infinitum and item placements are randomized would be cash but seeing as how this game undersold and is basicly left 4 dead, who cares. modding could have been stalker tiers of great
>>
>>386228545
So... First of all, I compared it to G.I. JOE, not G.I. JANE. Second of all: How was setting of cancelled Prey 2 "lone person in a first encounter scenario?!" THE FUCK?
Do you know what those words mean you god damn cretin?
Third: Yeah, cheap knock-off of fucking prequel starwars Coruscant is really the apex of excellence in environments, and not something straight out of a fucking b-list saturday morning cartoon!

>>386228614
Dude, Prey 2 was about TWO people taking on evil alien race after years after our first encounter with the aliens, during which they also fucking already blew one of their motherships up.
Are you retarded? SERIOUSLY? ARE FUCKING CLINICALLY BRAIN-DAMAGED?
>>
>>386228808
no it wasn't retard. it was first encounter scenario and you were alone. tommy had at best a cameo in the game

also I mocked you by saying G.I jane, stupid
>>
>>386228907
>no it wasn't retard. it was first encounter scenario and you were alone. tommy had at best a cameo in the game
Uh, fist Prey actually already established that Aliens had attacked Earth several times in the past. There was an entire guerilla army of humans on board the alien mothership when you started the game. So not even Tommy's story is a first encounter story.
Now following from there, bulk of Prey 2 was taking place SEVERAL YEARS after he has been kidnapped by aliens, starting (after the intro showing his kidnapping) with the retard protagonist owning a penthouse apartment and living comfortably as a bad-ass alien bounty-hunter in a middle of an alien metropolis.
Finally, the protagonist is guided at EVERY STEP of the game by Tony - first half of the game unknowingly, second half being consistently directly ordered around by him, leading to a reveal that Tony has not only been guiding him, but had been cloning him literally thousands of times to keep him going even when he dies. That is your idea of "cameo"? Being the mastermind of the story, your literal guide and the guy actually ordering you through out the entirety of the main conflict related plot?

The fuck? And YOU talk about how I don't know anything about the game?!
Again: WHAT. THE ACTUAL FUCK. IS WRONG WITH YOU?!
>>
>>386229283
>game opens up with MC plane literally crashing into aliens
>tommy shows up midway and then goes away while you keep on bounty' huntin

jaja tl;dr
>>
>>386229283
Are you autistic? You're pretty mad lmao
>>
>>386223767
>DX:HR leaked, The Witcher 2 and Portal 2 and Battlefield and Rage and Bulletstorm
are you agreeing with him?
>>
>>386229382
Intro scene, which is still not a first encounter scenario.
Tomy is only missing in optional side mission content.

But yeah: totally an amazing setup about lone person in a first encounter scenario. A well established human alien bounty hunter teaming up with psychic to prevent third historical attempt to enslave humanity is "a lone person in a first encounter scenario" according to you.

I don't think it's humanly possible to be dumber than you are.
>>
>>386229481
Every single one of those games looked better than Prey 2. Not all of them turned out to be really better, but they sure as fuck all looked more promising.
>>
>>386227731
NOTHING WRONG
No seriously, nothing wrong
>>
>>386229503
>still making shit up because he got btfo
>>
So, will they introduce some dlcs, new gamemodes or modding tools or are they done with nuprey? the game was legit good and with some gamemodes could easily be goty for years to come
>>
>>386229974
There were rumors of some kind of DLC right?
But with the game's director leaving Arkane, I'm not sure how it'll turn out.
>>
>>386229805
Everything single thing I've said can be easily confirmed if you so much as open any original Prey plot summary, and watch this video: >>386223912
>>
>>386230074
Why are you feeding it? It's just gonna reply with something retarded until you give up.
>>
>>386230037

Shit my man i have no idea but seeing how much potential this game has, im adamant it could be stalker tier with just enough love through additional modes, tools or dlcs.
>>
>>386229974
There was a mention that they would like to re-establish some of the cut mechanics that never made it into the original and perhaps bundle/release it as a DLC or update focused on increasing the difficulty and the survival systems...

But the reality is that the game flopped pretty hard and Arkane suffered a major disillusion, which means that they are not likely to actually revisit it. It seems Beth does not trust them anymore either.

>>386230037
I don't think the director leaving is what is going to affect it. But I think the faul mood that is also the reason why he left is the real problem.
>>
>>386222129
I think you should rewatch that "phenomenal
e3 footage.
>>
>>386230074
>some youtubefag supposed to trust him video etc
>>
>>386230236
>“ZeniMax strongly believes in Arkane’s ability to make great games, and is committed to supporting the studio,” said Colantonio.
>“My long-time friend and colleague, Harvey Smith, will oversee the team in Austin, and I will be around for as long as necessary to ensure a smooth transition to the new management team in Lyon.”

I mean Harvey is a great guy, but fug that sounds bad.
>>
>>386230236

This saddens me, seeing how the modding scene doesnt give two fucks about it either, it may remain underappreciated for ever which is a shame really
>>
>>386230692
It's fine, it'll have a cult following of 3 people on a Bhutanese depression forum.
>>
File: CBrNILFWIAAd4sY[1].png (84KB, 500x488px) Image search: [Google]
CBrNILFWIAAd4sY[1].png
84KB, 500x488px
>>386226992
*salute with manly tears*
>>
>>386226041
man your taste isn't just shit, it's embarrassing
>>
File: 1471338343936.png (69KB, 485x463px) Image search: [Google]
1471338343936.png
69KB, 485x463px
>>386222129
>Gameplay footage
Pls tell me you're baiting
>>
>>386233749
There was actual gameplay footage. I don't know how you idiots don't know that by now
>>
>>386233809
gameplay footage from an unfinished AND unreleased game is like schrödingers cat.
>>
>>386233883
What?
>>
The Prey reboot is a good game, certainly better than the first piece of trash only remembered because it was a 360 launch title and nobody had anything else to play besides PGR3, Full Auto, Quake 3 and Kameo.
>>
>>386226041
>I understand not liking the story, (however I did) but the gameplay is just more fast paced and refined than the first two games. It plays really, really good.

Which makes it utter shit. It requires not thought, no tactics and is just run/gun bullshit.

Its a shit game.
>>
File: 2014-06-29-135022.jpg (103KB, 960x478px) Image search: [Google]
2014-06-29-135022.jpg
103KB, 960x478px
>>386222959
Who the FUCK even cares about the Prey IP? Original was forgotten. Didn't break any sales records either.

This industry is weird.
>>
>>386233986
until it is measured it is both exactly like described and totally not.

pre-release gameplay is not representative of the finished product, see aliens colonial marines.
>>
>>386222129
I think people have to separate old prey and new prey

prey 2017 was never meant to be a sequel or reboot; it was literally just a completely different game that had the same name.
>>
>>386226068
>a single redeeming quality in bioshock infinite
it was fun
>>
>>386230037
Oh shit, is Harvey leaving? I guess since the game didn't make EVERY MONEY in the world, Bethesda is seeing it as a failure.
>>
>>386236496
Colantonio is leaving, Harvey's taking over as president.
>>
>>386222219
Thats just straight up a lie.
>>
>>386236496
>Oh shit, is Harvey leaving?
He is taking over as the president and creative lead. Colantio, the other creative lead of the company made somewhat awkward statement that make it sound like both of them are leaving (Colantonio now, Harvey some time in the future), but it's really just a case of awkward phrasing: we have no actual reason to believe Harvey is planning to retire any time soon.

That said, Prey was largely Colantonio's brain child. Harvey had virtually no influence on it, he was head of the other Arcane Studio, still mainly working on Dishonored 2 and it's DLC while Prey was being developed.
>>
>>386236614
I'll be honest, hadn't heard of him but apparently he was a co-director with Harvey since the beginning of Arkane so this departure should be interesting. Is Harvey the sort of Schaffer dev, who needs someone to tell him no otherwise we get shit/mediocre games or can he control himself on his own?
>>
>>386236809
Wouldn't doubt it that Zenimax made him sign some NDA about his departure. Assuming, despite amazing reviews that Prey underperformed because if a game doesn't quadruple its profits in the first week it's considered a failure, I can see Zenimax forcing him out with a shitty excuse.
>>
>>386236816
He was the founder of Arkane, worked on all of their games in some degree.
It's actually sad that this is probably going have a bad impact on Arkane.
>>
>>386236615
Not really. Prey 2 was largely anticipated to be shit. Well, like most games at the time. It sure as fuck wasn't really hyped up. There was a small minority of children who fell for marketing hype and the terrible childish art direction, but they were just that: small minority that nobody took seriously. Even the announcement of the cancelation had not raised virtually any eyebrows, just a few jokes about how much you have to fuck up to have BETHESDA of all companies rejecting your game based on not meeting basic quality standards (this was time when Beth was known for publishing such stellar works as Wet or Rage...)

Nobody really cared. Prey 1 was crap game that everybody was trying to forget, Prey 2 was stuck in a development hell for five years - releasing vapid hype-up vague "it's going to be the best thing ever" claims year after year without releasing a single piece of in-game footage, the actual in-game demo they released was completely underwhelming and basically embodying everything everyone was REALLY sick off: bad A.I., awful level design, floaty movement, two-weapon limit, regen heath, dedicated cover-based mechanics, scripted events up the ass, murky visuals, pres X something awesome happens gimmicks. It was hugely underwhelming and punctuating five years of empty promises from a literal-nobody studio.
We had like six threads making fun of it after the cancellation was announced and that was it.
>>
>>386222129
No, it really didn't. The first game was also an overrated nice try.
>>
>>386222545
New Prey is excellent, it just has nothing to do with the first one. And the first one was a really mediocre shooter with some fun tech shit.
>>
>>386237094
Invisible War and Dishonored 2 as sole director. Yeah, this might be troublesome. Hope Harvey learns well from his mistakes. Dishonored 2 was alright, just nothing amazing.
>>
>>386236996
>Wouldn't doubt it that Zenimax made him sign some NDA about his departure.
I actually would. Despite what people think of Beth, they have been treating Arkane fairly well. In fact, they really aren't drakonian to their own in-house developers. Colantio made his reasons for leaving pretty clear and there is little reason to doubt their sincerity on this. I think Colantino was actually sick of the audience and the state of market rather than being forced out by evil publisher.

Bethesda's ethics towards external companies (pointless lawsuits due to name similarities) and it's customers (insane laziness of Bethesda Development house titles) are awful, but their internal policies seem fairly decent. Fuck, they did not even fire/persecute the people responsible for such MAJOR flops like Wet or Brink.

Of course, Arkane's future options seem to grow dimmer. Beth probably won't be willing to risk major investments to persue their crazy dreams as much as they used to. But I doubt they took vendeta on Colantinio. Again: Harvey actually was responsible for bigger flop than Prey was (Dishonored 2) and he is actually being promoted by this...
>>
>>386237445
>Of course, Arkane's future options seem to grow dimmer.

Here's an obvious one that could do (but won't because it's too brilliant and would make lots of money), a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah that's called Elder Scrolls Adventures: Insert Subtitle Here
>>
>>386237445
True. I'll admit that I have a particular hate towards Bethesda in general, for the reasons you said. Yet, they do seem to treat their inner dev companies well. id, Machinegames, Arkane. I take back what I said. You're right in that there's no reason to doubt he was forced out. More likely some internal stuff got to him and he decided to leave.
>>
>>386223269
>Everyone was throwing a fit back then over Prey 2's cancellation
No we fucking weren't. Literally no-one gave two flying fucks about it.
>>
>>386237631
Elder Scrolls spin-off were really not selling all that well, so I HIGHLY doubt that would ever get through the shareholder's board.

God only knows what Arkane will do after the Dishonored 2 DLC's. I think they'll have a bit of a break trying to figure out something that could sound really good on corporate pitch and that we won't hear about them in a couple of years, then they'll either come with something completely new, or with the idea to revive some series we would not even think of reviving these days.

Or maybe - maybe IF the other System Shock revival games happen to do exceptionally well (which I doubt, but you never know), Beth will cave in and give nu-Prey 2 another chance. I would not see it as a complete impossibility, provided that somehow there would be at least one or two immersive sims break-out hits.

>>386237639
>I'll admit that I have a particular hate towards Bethesda in general,
Dude, Beth murdered two of my all time favorite RPG franchises with such a gusto that I'll probably never get over it. So yeah, I'm absolutely no stranger to hating them with a passion myself. Fuck me: I'm an old-school Morrowind and Fallout 1/2 fucking fanboy. I can think of very few greater insults than what post Morrowind TES and Fo3/4 have been.
So I entirely understand and even share the sentiment of hatered for the company.

But things should be viewed for what they are. And their work as a publisher has been... almost admirable. Trusting both Wolfenstein TNO and Doom despite the endless negativity, and actually taking one of the first major steps to actually fix the bloody shooter genre?
Saving Arkane from bankrupcy and trusting Dishonored, and even the pitch of Prey?

I mean: pushing the Dishonored 2 and forcing them to switch engine half-way through to one the studio did not know how to work with was stupid, but still...

They are cunts to others, and they treat their won IP's like GARBAGE, but as publishers they are among the better ones.
>>
>>386225402
That's not the entire game, idiot. You probably just watched that on youtube.
What a petty cunt.
>>
>>386238365
>They are cunts to others, and they treat their won IP's like GARBAGE, but as publishers they are among the better ones.
Completely agree. Hate them to death, Pete Hines could die tomorrow and I believe they'd find a lot more success with him gone and buried, either Todd has lost his mojo or he's part of the problem Beth dev has had with their newer games, but credit where credit is due. Their publishing side is giving competent devs enough freedom to take risks, risks that could've backfired horribly with less competent devs.
>>
>>386227083
>this angry dicklet trying to stir controversy out of nothing.
>>
>>386238650
It's almost like we're living in bizzaro world, a world where Bethesda is funding a lot of risky AAA games.
Bethesda.
>>
>>386238650
The main problems with Bethsoft are their insistence on using that ancient engine that's being held together by duct tape at this point, and the small size of their team, which results in lots of people having to juggle multiple jobs (they have no dedicated writers for instance, which is likely one of the main reasons why all of their games since Morrowind have been absolutely horrid in that area).
>>
I honestly wasn't bothered by the idea of the reboot, but after playing it I wish they would have stuck with this.
>>
>>386239032
Fuck Bethesda, stupid piece of shit company sabotaging New Vegas in every fucking possible way while developing the single worst """"""""""RPG"""""""""""""" of our fucking generation.
>>
>>386236491
That's not a quality, that's your personal experience.
>>
>>386239226
Just fuck Bethesda completely, killing TES and Fallout wasn't enough, sabotaging competitors wasn't enough, they had to ruin a potentially great IP by killing off the anticipated sequel in lieu of funding a shitty bioshock, SJW pandering, bullshit knock off by some two-bit generic developer who hasn't done jack shit of worth. So fucking mad.
>>
>>386239405
I'm more mad that I bought it for near full price.
>>
>>386239445
How retarded do you have to be to buy a shitty generic AAA piece of garbage by some no-name developer that has done absolutely NOTHING to show it's worthy of the Prey name and only exists because they had to ruin any chances of the ACTUAL Prey 2 coming out?
Come the fuck on. The game is a fucking 2/10 and anyone can see that once they fucking look at the game.
>>
>>386239195
>The main problems with Bethsoft are their insistence on using that ancient engine that's being held together by duct tape at this point
I think their main problem is that they subscribe to Michael Bay design philosophy of "doing what you know the biggest part of the audience wants to see in the cheapest possible way".

That is the real problem. They became the provided of "THE DEFAULT (GENRE X) POWER FANTASY FOR MASSES".
Their problem is lack of any ambition or desire to actually challenge their audience and to create something that can stand on it's own, not just on old, terrible broad genre expectations.
Their team isn't small, but it's mostly composed of people hired based on friendship and not competence, because they know they can exploit the market and that they don't really have to try their best at any point.

They are making their games by composing a check-list of what the lowest common denominator audience for that work expects, then putting exactly the minimum amount of effort into them and BAM: you have a market-controlling megahit.

Their tech sucks too, but that is the syndrome of their problem, not the cause.

>>386239405
>>386239606
I hope to god all mighty you are just trolling.
>>
>>386239791
>not defending scum like Bethshita is now """"trolling""""
>>
>>386239791
>Their team isn't small

It is for an AAA studio that's supposed to be making large open world games. Witcher 3 for example had many times more people working on it than Fallout 4 did, including both a team dedicated of writers AND quest designers, something that Bethesda blatantly lacks along with a general sense of passion. Guess which game was the critical and popular darling of 2015? It was the game with more polish.
>>
>>386240006
Not throwing shit at a competent game from a almost legendary developer while simultanously praising one of the biggest fuck-ups of the last decade from a actual no-name studio is not the same as defending Bethesda.

Arcane is a good studio, Prey is a good game. Prey 1 on the other hand was not.
The only reason why you deny relevance to both is because you have an actual vendetta against a publisher that is largely unrelated and not responsible for either.
You hide this bizarre spasm behind a facade of trolling because even you know deep down how pathetic you are, and this gives you the opportunity to act out your own stupidity and insecurity but at the same time hide behind "I'm just trolling" excuse when somebody gets close to remind you how how insufferable and actually flat out wrong you are.
>>
>>386239606
>The game is a fucking 2/10
The Prey reboot has drastically more depth than the original game, but anybody would know this if they actually played both.
>>
>>386239606
No name developer? They made the Dishonored games, two games I really enjoy. I was hoping they could apply the same strong level design and unique abilities to a sci-fi shooter. Turns out they kind of fucked up.
>>
>>386237445
Oh yeah, Bethesda isn't a bad publisher, at least so far. They're just terrible at actually making games.
>>
>>386240530
>almost legendary developer
Yeah, so legendary they're only known for making one shitty stealth flop nobody liked and then pandering to SJWs with WE WUZ KANGS in a cashgrab DLC that's overpriced. What a fucking studio. Thanks Beth for giving us such awesome people!

>Arcane is a good studio, Prey is a good game.
Stop trolling you fucking fanboy. It's everything wrong with modern AAA games. Prey was a fucking fantastic shooter and comparing the original to this nu-Prey AAA tripe generic garbage is just baiting so hard for (you)'s that you genuinely start to believe the absolute shit you're spouting.
>>
>>386240891
>They're just terrible at actually making games.
Well, to be honest the very decision to push the Prey title at all costs was DUMB AS FUCK from a publishing deal point of view. Sunking money into TESO wasn't exactly a brilliant idea either. Dishonored 2 was clearly rushed as fuck and honestly, a case of sequelising that might have been completely unecessary...
But yeah, they had done some good.

>>386241096
Be careful, or you are going to pop a vein trying so hard. It is actually making me physically cringe to read this shit: it's pathetic even when you know it's desperate shitposting. Seriously: you are making people feel sorry for you even knowing that your own intention is to be insufferable. That is how sad your posts are.
>>
>>386241307
>this desperate reddit argument
Try to sound anymore smug and self-assured and I might have to tip my fedora to you, good sir. You are totally epic!
>>
>>386241096
I think video games are not you hobby m8
Both games are good in their own way
This prey was going to be called typhon but Bethesda said to use the ip name because they paid for it and needed to attach it to something
Prey 2 was never going to happen, it was in development hell, its closure has nothing to do with this game and everything to do with conflicting ideas in the prey 2 studio
>>
>>386241096
>standard corridor FPS with a grab bag of somewhat unique gimmicks (that end up being underutilized) where you can't even die
>fucking fantastic

>proper immersive sim akin to System Shock 2 and Deus Ex that takes place in a completely explorable space station (both interior and exterior) and has a grab bag of unique gimmicks that are utilized throughout the entire game
>generic modern AAA tripe

What did anon mean by this?
>>
>>386228115
>You could say the exact same thing about the nu-Prey ending.
And I do
>>
>>386241848
>Prey 2 had working mirrors
>Prey 2017 didn't
Check and mate, athetitst
>>
>>386222893
Now thats a cheeky bit of goss and I need more context
>>
>>386240316
I see what you did there
Thread posts: 153
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.