[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was he in the wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: photo (1).jpg (36KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo (1).jpg
36KB, 900x900px
Was he in the wrong?
>>
No. Even it was just an attempt to explain some game mechanics calling it a half-press is disingenuous.
>>
Yes. Debating the terminology of a science he has not studied or cares to study is fucking stupid. If he wants to change the lexicon of Mario 64 Speedrunning/TAS/Game-Breaking community, he probably should invest himself more into said community.
>>
>>386221574
No. In fact, Henry should've taken it a step further. Why even make specialized 'runs' in the first place? You're not accomplishing anything aside from bragging rights that most people won't even care about. Speed runners will never make sense to me, it's the most autistic bullshit I think I've ever seen. Right up there with 'competitive smash players'.
>>
Half A Press is a stupid term that doesn't make any sense, it should be called an A Hold or something since the button is already pressed.

But why did this need its own thread?
>>
an A press is an A press
>>
File: 1492454101394.png (85KB, 1122x724px) Image search: [Google]
1492454101394.png
85KB, 1122x724px
We don't call it a "half-press", the action of press and releasing a button are two different events. The programmer handles everything else.
>>
>>386223705
is this the N64 API?
>>
>>386221574
Probably not, and I feel as if he didn't deserve have the shit he gets.

Poor fucker can't post anywhere without being reminded of his folly.
>>
>>386223778
I will be very surprised if anywhere in the documentation for the N64 they call anything a "half-press". It's specific to speedrunning SM64, not games.

You wouldn't want the API to keep track of a button state like that, since you might not have any "hold" or "release" function to that button. The game programmer would have to keep track of the button state.
>>
>>386221574
Who fucking cares?
>>
>>386223474
If you knew jack shit you'd know Pannen isn't a speedrunner. And besides who the fuck are you to judge now someone spends their free time?
>>
>>386223958
Off my board loser
>>
They're both wrong. Since an A-press has three parts to it, it's actually two-thirds of a press.
>>
>>386224327
The mid-point between two points is halfway
>>
>>386224327
The last third doesn't do anything so it's ignored
>>
>>386224050
sup panencuck
>>
>>386224223
I want YOU off MINE!
>>
>>386224512
Even if it doesn't do anything, it's still there, so it's 3 parts.
>>
>>386221574
He was always right. Fuck your memes.
>>
>>386224327
>an A-press has three parts to it
Wrong you autist.
>>
File: 1487210603155.png (137KB, 1420x791px) Image search: [Google]
1487210603155.png
137KB, 1420x791px
>>386223778
I found the actual N64 API. You submit queries about a buttons state, that's all. I actually read through this PDF to find the function name to google: http://www.jax184.com/projects/ultra64/Nintendo%20Ultra64%20Programming%20Manual+Addendums.pdf
http://n64devkit.square7.ch/n64man/os/osContStartReadData.htm
>>
>>386224938
Henry is finally vindicated
>>
>>386221574
Even he knew he was wrong
>>
>>386224938
Problem is Pannen doesn't say a half-A press is a technical term, it's a speedrunning term stating that because he is only using the functionality of the held portion of the jump rather than the jump portion of the jump, and that he never presses A but pressed it prior to entering the level, it's half an A press
>>
>>386224050
I can equate it to speed running because they're conceptually similar.
And sure, people can do whatever they want on their free time. But that doesn't change the fact that devoting your time to a worthless hobby is objectively inferior to learning a trade or researching a field.
>>
>>386226297
maybe they should call it a held-press, as opposed to a press-release.

half-press is triggering to the same autistic people who understand the video.
>>
>>386221740

If I've understood it correctly, half an A-press means holding down the A button when entering the level, right?
>>
>>386224050
The half-press concept comes from a no jumping speedrun category in SM64. His video is about optimizing speedrunning in this category.
>>
>>386226592
Half-press just sounds more "impressive" and makes it sound more like ego stroking that could be likened to public masturbation
>>
>>386226649
a "half-press" is a button press that you never release. When you release the button it becomes a "full-press".
>>
>>386226658
>no jumping speedrun
what are you, retarded? it's a challenge, not a speedrun
>>
>>386226738
aka a sub-category
>>
>>386226763
but he's not trying to go fast, which is what a speedrun is. It's a challenge run.
>>
>>386226738
this guy seems to call it a speedrun, from 2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5eFLrG7vIQ
>>
>>386226817
That guy is not /ourguy/
>>
>>386221574
I mean kinda.
It was literally just a naming convention to distinguish between pressing and holding A before you entered a level or during a level for the sake of clarity.

An A press is an A press, but you can measure anything however the fuck you want.
>>
>>386226585
Yeah it's a good thing that you've never wasted your free time arguing about pointless hobbies with autists on the internet, otherwise you might've sounded like a dumbass
>>
level 1 requires A to be pressed to initiate a jump
level 2 requires A to be held in order to clear a gap
level 3 also requires A to be held in order to clear a gap
level 4 does not require A to be held, but it doesn't mandate A be released either
level 4 requires A to be pressed to initiate a jump

what were the A press counts for each level?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.