[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Banjo-Kazooie series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: Banjo-Tooie.jpg (233KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Banjo-Tooie.jpg
233KB, 1280x1024px
What are your thoughts on the Banjo series as a whole?
Which game is your favorite?
And why is Banjo-Tooie so somber and depressing in its atmosphere?
>>
>>386219756
no love for the Banjo series?
>>
>>386221240
People here realized post-SNES rareware really wasnt that good. Their samey-music (courtesy of Grant Kirkhope) N64 collectathons and their FPSs werent as good as their sidescrollers.
>>
Thry wanted to make something more dark, kinda like dkc2.
>>
>>386221370
Perfect Dark was pretty fucking rad, just a shame it ran like shit.
>>
>>386219756
> Somber and depressing
It's merely trying to match the atmosphere in its levels.

The musical presentation of this game is really spot on and one of the few games that does it perfectly.

Every sound fits the design, from characters to the overworld theme.
The transition to underwater was one of my favourites too.
>>
>>386221415
I've got a Xbone a few years back, basically when it wasn't porting everything to PC and they didn't cancel Scale-fucking Bound. Everything on Rare Replay runs great. Didn't expect it but the Banjo Tooie + Kazooie games are 1080p / 60fps which is amazing.
>>
>>386221370
People still love Banjo and PD, don't talk shit if you don't know.
>>
>>386219756
Series as a whole is not bad. Had potential to be better, but never managed to pull it off.

As for favorite, I'd have to say the first. Tooie just felt bland in comparison. I didn't like the worlds, the size of them, or how they interconnected at all.
>>
>>386219756
Tooie is my favorite and was my first.
I actually liked the backtracking bits and interconected levels.
>>
DK64 > this game
>>
>>386221370

You are fucking crazy, Rare was god-like on the n64.

Banjo, Diddy Kong racing, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Conker were all all considered FANTASTIC

Dk64, Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct Blast Corps weren't perfect but have fans.

Rare was awesome till MS
>>
Well the game opens with a major character getting blown the fuck up alongside Banjo's house, the first person to help you getting turned into a zombie for his trouble, and a Jinjo family getting crushed to death (albeit offscreen). Things escalated rather quickly in Tooie.
>>
>>386219756

Banjo Kazooie is a damn near perfect game, tooie is almost there, but the loading/traveling issues kinda fuck the experience a bit.

I think the Devs knew the audience would grow older and they probably wanted to do things different and raise the stakes, making the game darker, but it also seemed to have more dirty humor which worked well.

I think Tooie is kinda an awesome showcase for how you can continue to build off the 1st game tho, like you don't have to re-learn anything, it really continues where the last one went off, they did a good job with that.
>>
>>386221240
the state of neo /v/
>>
>>386222315
Banjo-Tooie > Conker > Banjo-Kazooie > Donkey Kong 64
>>
>>386222468
Star Fox Adventures wasn't exactly greatm can be seen as the decline.

>>386219756
Kazooie is my favourite, Cloud Cuckooland, Jolly Roger's Lagoon, and having about half an hour of stuff to set up before you can properly start each level lets it down.

>>386222675
>Kazooie
>Loading issues
I've never had a problem with long load times, and everything is incredibly compact, outside Grunty's tower so traversing is pretty easy
>>
>>386219756
BTs my favorite game. Excellent excellent atmosphere
>>
>>386219756
Banjo-Tooie's my favorite game due to how much it expanded on every aspect of Kazooie through its interconnected worlds and objectives coupled with the sheer number of cool moves and transformations you could do; really felt almost like a metroidvania style game in 3D. Kazooie's effectively perfect on its own though and is the most concise experience I've ever seen; the sheer amount of different stuff to do from moment to moment is unmatched by any other 3D game I've ever played.
>>
>>386225667
>>386226072
Men with great taste.
I love B-T's somber tone and I also love the 3D metroidvania aspect of it as well as the varied tasks.
>>
File: 480866664758.jpg (51KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
480866664758.jpg
51KB, 960x960px
>>386222315
I agree.
I enjoyed DK64 more than Tooie.
>>
>>386226379
Why is there a lone DK64 cartridge in the middle of the grass?
>>
File: IMG_3051.jpg (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3051.jpg
1MB, 1280x720px
This really wasn't all that bad of a game.
My only regret is that whilst not with Nintendo anymore, the Banjo brand will never see another entry again, and it's not because of the stigma against N&B, it's because of mismanagement and misallocation of Rare's resources at Microsoft that have been in place since the Don Mattrick days, the failure of Kinect is really what killed all these Rare brands and a future at Nintendo would've given them more life if something like Monolith Soft is any indication.
On the other hand, Rare at Microsoft gave us Killer Instinct, and that's lit as fuck.
>>
>>386221370
t. contrarian
>>
>>386226436
WE
>>
I want to FUCK that burb.
>>
>>386226614
I'm hoping the recent resurgence of 3D Platformers brings back an interest in another Banjo game from Rare.
Although, it seems like Rare is busy on Sea of Thieves. At least Sea of Thieves looks like the kind of game Rare actually wanted to make instead of Kinect shovelware.
>>
Banjo-Kazooie was solid. The worlds were just about the right size so they weren't too tedious to traverse. Super Mario 64 was a much better game, Mario's movement felt much more fluid and there was a much larger focus on actual platforming compared to Banjo (where you would just walk around and interact with objects to get jiggies). But I'd say that Banjo did enough differently to set itself apart from SM64 and it has some quirks that make it notable.

Banjo-Tooie felt like Banjo-Kazooie but bigger and it was a much less enjoyable game because of it. It was nice how you started off the game with your full moveset from the previous game, but the split-up mechanic just meant you were traversing the same ground 3 times as 3 different characters, it didn't really add anything interesting to the game and just made it more tedious. The worlds were also a lot bigger, so they ended up being a chore to explore and get around.

I haven't played Yooka-Laylee, but that seems to be more inspired by Tooie than Kazooie. And I had to just straight-up drop DK64 when I tried playing it (I could at least force myself to finish Tooie eventually). Looking back, I think it's fair to say that Banjo-Kazooie was a happy accident rather than an intentionally good game since the developers clearly missed what made the first game good and failed to improve on it for their later games.
>>
>>386221370
>shitting on Banjo-era Grant Kirkhope

Are you pretending to be retarded or are you actually retarded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJNo9PZm8SI&list=PL9D5D10375437CCA1&index=65

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR0iCxsIAuM&list=PL9D5D10375437CCA1&index=32
>>
File: Skybox.png (660KB, 936x520px) Image search: [Google]
Skybox.png
660KB, 936x520px
>>386219756
>And why is Banjo-Tooie so somber and depressing in its atmosphere?

Darker and Edgier, probabaly one of the few times it's actually done right.

Or maybe i'm just overthinking it. Without the blurry 64 textures I realised Mayahem Temple's skybox was actually set at dusk and not some apocalyptic jungle hellscape. Guess they were just experimenting with different times of day.
>>
>>386227265
Has there been a resurgence in 3d platfomers? Before Yooka-Laylee, I kept saying that I hoped it would succeed exactly because it'd show there was an interest to other companies but seeing how its reception was underwhelming to say the least, just about the game, not even going in with the other controversies, I don't know if there's an actual resurgence.
>>
>>386228450
Crash, A Hat in Time, Sonic Forces, Super Mario Odyssey, Skylar & Plux, and hopefully more.

A man can dream, can he? :(
>>
File: 1500752446609.gif (270KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
1500752446609.gif
270KB, 500x373px
>>386228194
Tooie had fucking amazing texture quality for a 5th gen game.
>>
>>386228750
B-T is a visually stunning game for its time and even still impressive today.
That fucking framerate is proof that this game pushed the N64 near its limits.
>>
>>386228679
I guess Crash did show there's an interest. The others are either too indie and Sonic and Mario have always been the exception to the rule.
>>
File: bk_texture.jpg (93KB, 512x378px) Image search: [Google]
bk_texture.jpg
93KB, 512x378px
>>386229208
The original BK also had really nice texturing, at least without the framerate problems
>>
>>386219756
Kazooie is great, Tooie is shit.
>>
>>386219756

The somber, grimey atmosphere is a major problem I have with the first game (never bothered to play the second). The most charming areas of BK are 1) spiral mountain and 2)Click Clock Wood. These are the only areas where the game really shines, and you get that summer-camp like atmosphere that is so rare and appealing. Most of the levels though are very boring, ugly, and just not that fun to play.

Unlike Mario 64, Banjo and Kazooie aren't fun to control simply by just moving around; so the game should have really interesting environments and tasks. And I just didn't experience that. The game overdoses on abilities which makes the controls feel clunky.

They should have used the atmosphere of DKC3's world map as a template for BK. Instead they mostly seem to use DKC2 which was a mistake.

Some more problems I have: everyone talks shit about Mario 64's camera, but i found BK's so much worse, I found myself having to constantly adjust it nonstop. Also, Grunty's Lair is an atrocious and boring hubworld, even with the cauldrons navigating around it is a pain. It doesn't actually feel like a real place like Peach's Castle.
>>
File: IMG_2829.jpg (74KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2829.jpg
74KB, 320x320px
I love the BK series, but Christ this game was forgotten by the media
>>
>>386232587
On a scale from 1 to 10, how is it compared to BK and BT?
>>
>>386233296
Empty & Derivative/10. Think Super Mario 3D World compared Super Mario Galaxy, how everything was blocks in an empty blue sky.
>>
>>386219756
Tooie was a straight upgrade, but some of the levels were bland.

The only bad level on Kazooie was rusty bucket bay
>>
>>386235910
Every level in bt was masterfully designed. Only level that stands out is the mines, because its mostly just brown. N64 era textures + setting based on brown dirt = bad idea
>>
>>386235989
Oh yeah, for its time it was great. What i meant was that besides the backtracking, some of the levels were just tedious. Grunty Industries comes to mind
>>
>>386236385
Some of us like backtracking, going back to levels looking for things that we missed before, or solving puzzles we couldnt earlier. This is the game for us man. Its not even that big of a genre. There were a few gamecube and xbox games like BT but it really dropped off last gen. I think the last game i autistically looked for every single collectible was sonic unleashed and that was in 2008. BT is my go to casual game, i remember where every single thing is at this point
>>
Its old enough that most of /v/ who first played it on emulator can start shitting on it.
>>
Banjo Kazooie was fun. Banjo Tooie was mostly forgettable. The concepts were fun (new moves/splitting up) but I honestly don't remember more than like a level or two.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.