[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't people like Skull Face?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

Why don't people like Skull Face?
>>
Who?
>>
>Did you ever find it weird how all the bodies that Snake left behind disappear a little after he leaves the area? That's because Skull Face was tailing him the whole time, taking care of any messes that he left behind?

Which leaves you to wonder. Did Solid Snake and Raiden have their own Skull Face?
>>
>>386216870
Such a lust for revenge.
>>
Do people still do FOB stuff for this game? Bought it a few days ago but I'm still in the very early parts of Afghanistan. I want to raid people's bases.
>>
>>386216787
I like his character, his plan is fucking retarded, even by MGS standards.
>>
>>386216787
>I'm a faggot with a pretentiously symbolic plan for REVENGE
>I lost my culture and language because of the Romania-Hungary dispute over Transylvania so FUCK THE ENGLISH AND THEIR IMPERIALISM
>I'm mad at you because I never got the glory of being BIG BOSS
He's a walking temper tantrum whose only redeeming features include a golden voice and the "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" meme
>>
>>386216787
I just played Skull Face again and holy shit that mission is so fucking awkward. And when you think about the actual themes of the game, it doesn't even fit. The contrived language shit, skull face, they're all red herrings for what's actually going on. So why does that speech even exist, and why the fuck do they play that song in the middle? Is it unfinished? I'm not even sure. I think Kojiba just dropped the ball desu
>>
>>386218731
There is also his tape interrogating Code Talker, a little bit edgy, but I liked it.
>>
File: Phil laugh.gif (1MB, 294x233px) Image search: [Google]
Phil laugh.gif
1MB, 294x233px
He was interesting in Ground Zeroes, then does basically nothing for the entirety of Phantom Pain. Also they casually mention he was there on the virtuous mission and was totally a 'badass' who could have killed The Boss if you failed.
>>
>>386218896
What was his master plan anyway? All I remember is that he wanted everyone in the worls to have dud nukes as some weird form of deterrence, the vocal chord parasites where to just cause as much chaos as possible, and everything else was just to be as big a dick as possible to Big Boss and Zero.
>>
>>386216787
Because he was born in a small village
>>
File: Skullface-sahelanthropus.png (985KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Skullface-sahelanthropus.png
985KB, 1366x768px
>>386219121
Pretty much this. Great in Ground Zeroes, then underutilized in Phantom Pain (like a lot of the side characters, really). Doesn't help when Eli suddenly gets designated as the main villain and pulls the rug right from under Skull Face. A lot like what happened with Bane in The Dark Knight Rises getting replaced by a shitty villain, now that I think about it.
>>
>>386219149
It's the most nonsensical speech Kojima has ever written by far. I still don't understand. He's gonna kill the English language and without their native tongue the world will turn to a new language which is his metal gears or some shit. You watch it and try to decipher it lmao it's impossible.

Kojima brings up interesting ideas of language but it's so inconsequential to the story as a whole, and it makes me think that the game feels so unfinished because the story is so unfocused. The game's not about language, it only pretends to be at parts, so nothing that Skull Face talks about really makes sense.
>>
>>386216787

They made him look like a huge threat in Ground Zero's whose always one step ahead from Snake

and then PP happened where he shat the bed so hard he made Hot "I was pretending to Nuke em" Coldman look like a philosopher
>>
>>386219178
>>386219661
From my understanding, Skull Face's ultimate goal (besides REVENGE) is to destroy American hegemony on the world. Killing the English language is just the means to that end because the hegemony relies a lot on English being a lingua franca.
>>
>>386219661
He wants to hit the reset button on global power, it mentions that some ridiculous percentage of the world speaks English even though most of the people aren't actually native to the language. He wants revenge on the west because he feels they're the cause of all his personal woes and the world at large. Simply defeating the west isn't good enough, many things are tied to language especially culture and thought. By erasing English he hoped to completely eradicate everything associated with and corrupted (in his eyes) by the west. Culture, status quo, the people themselves, everything.

I feel like it makes sense, it's a pretty wild idea but the concept makes sense. The biggest problem is they didn't actually give him enough screen time.
>>
>>386220207
I just think Kojima executed it very poorly. The language shit is half baked and has no real payoff. It starts and goes nowhere. Kojima has said that the entire Skull Face plot was designed to leave players with a "phantom pain", so it's ultimately unimportant, but I just feel like that scene has no reason to be so fucking awkward.
He condensed so many ideas about language into such a short scene instead of developing all those ideas that it is really clumsy and confusing. It's like the chapter of From Evil about architecture, but instead it's about language and it's really shitty.

The game is actually about loss, right? You lose everything. You lose your villain. You lose your friends. You lose your soldiers. You lose your identity. So what the fuck is this shit here for? Just to prank us when he gets fucking murdered and we can forget about him?
>>
>>386220695
I have the feeling that Kojima went with the whole "player experiencing phantom pain" bullshit as a poor attempt to justify the game being incomplete.
>>
>>386219884
This.

There was this great buildup, and then no payoff.

Like getting edged for an hour and a half and then being left high and dry.
>>
>>386218896
>they're red herrings
you completely missed the point then
>>
>>386221030
how so? if skull face is just there to make the player experience a phantom pain when he dies too early, then how is this speech supposed to fit into the actual story? I just don't think it's that important, and so it's kind of retarded.
>>
Reminder that Kojima literally named a character HOT COLDMAN
>>
>>386220695
It was poorly executed ultimately. I never really read anything about what Kojima had said or intended for the experience, I went into the game blind. Sounds like wankery on his part though, I have a feeling most of the things Kojima says is only to try and get attention.
>>
>>386219884

>He shat the bed so hard he made Hot "I was pretending to Nuke em" Coldman look like a philosopher

That was still funny

>This is going to prove America are actual pussies while we can launch

>Oh shit, they are going to shoot a fucking nuke at us, I WAS JUST PRETENDING
>>
>I HAET ENGLISH
>THE WORLD WILL ADOPT A NEW LANGUAGE
>THE LANGUAGE OF NUKES
>METAL GEAR!!!!
>sure, some people will suffer
>BUT MUH REVENGE
>FUCK ENGLISH

Unironically the most shallow and stupid thing Kojima has ever played a part in writing, and that is really, really saying something.
>>
>>386221446
>>386221363
is that it? is skull face a parody of a metal gear villain?
>>
>>386219661
>>386219149
Every MGS plot is about fighting some form of control. 3 being an exception of sorts since while the money from the Legacy is a major plot point, it's more about characters and the birth of their relationships.
MGS: gene control
MGS2: meme control
MGS4: complete information and battlefield control
MGSV: language and cultural control
>>
>>386221771
No they're not. I mean those are definitely themes in all of those games but they're not about that.
>>
>>386221523
Maybe, his old western villain mask would make sense in that capacity. I don't want to misattribute any genius to Kojima however.
You could look at Skull Fuck like a comic book villain. You could look at him like an imposter, and see all of Phantom Pain as a story of fakes playing a role they were unwittingly led into. All of it is uncertain aside from what we are explicitly shown, and what we're shown is that Skull espouses rhetoric with no substance or thought behind it.

Destroying the English language will end America? But people can still read and write it just fine. People could learn another language and nothing would change. Referring to a world wide arms race as people speaking the language of nukes is cute rhetoric, but it doesn't actually mean anything. Nukes themselves are just high energy output bombs, but still a bomb like any other. The mystique around them is largely misinformation, and people in high levels of government all know that. They're deterrents only for public opinion which is ultimately meaningless when push comes to shove.
>>
>>386221841
They're exactly about that. The whole.conclusion to the saga is breaking control from the Patriots. It's an always crescendo about their control power level and the "villains" trying to break it.
>>
>>386216787
He's a bit too rapey.
>>
>>386221937
I almost wonder if Kojima's understanding of English is so poor that his ideas make perfect sense in Japanese but important details get lost in translation.
>>
File: Portable-Ops-Gene.jpg (57KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Portable-Ops-Gene.jpg
57KB, 800x450px
Best mgs "Villain" coming through. Says something about Hackjima when the non canon game does a better "villain" than him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNL_76gaCI4
>>
>>386222039
I still think MGSV is about loss. The empty search for revenge. I guess in the sense that it's the first of the future's endless proxy wars from MGS4 it's about control, but I'd still say it's a game about loss, not language and cultural control. They're brought up and they're there, but that's not the main thrust of the game. At least it sure doesn't feel like it.
>>
>>386216787

Skull Face is a walking, talking meme. I don't think anyone ever took him seriously and every other line of his ended up being memed about. I don't know what Kojima wanted to make me feel about him but to me he was just a cartoon villain
>>
>>386221363
And don't forget that Snake literally made the call that saved the world.
>>
>>386216787
Wasted potential.
>>
>>386222191
Did he fuck Paz or did he watch chico do it like a cuck?
>>
>>386222773
he got a bunch of the prison guards to run a train on her, and then he forced chico. doubt he touched her himself, probably because his dick is burnt to a crisp.
>>
>>386222372
It's just poorly done but it's there, fitting with the whole theme of the series. Like 2 had the whole theme about Rayden and the player, 3 and the role of a soldier, etc. all games have more to them than that. V is also about loss and trauma so youre not wrong. The whole control thing, the Patriots is just the overall arc and playing fiels that guides the series.
As far as Skullface rethoric sounds bad, he's not wrong at all when claiming language is an incredible tool for domination. If i remember correctly, V even has some quote somewhere: "It is no nation we inhabit, but a language."
>>
File: real Skullface.jpg (47KB, 736x870px) Image search: [Google]
real Skullface.jpg
47KB, 736x870px
>>386216787
Skull Face was a great villain in Ground Zeros. In Phantom Pain he acts retarded and keeps ambushing you and letting you go for no reason.
>>
>>386221771
Wrong
The themes are
Genes
Memes
Scenes
Sense
Peace
Revenge
>>
>>386223036
that quote shows up at the beginning of the game and then skullface also mentions it. but how could skullface have known that quote? it wouldn't be published until 1987
>>
>>386217363
Yea it's still pretty common for people who still play

>just stay away from the high level bases until you're feeling good enough
>those fuckers will pop online into their own base just to fuck you up while you try to traverse 4 entire platforms of claymores and drones and fully armed guards with eagle eyes
>>
>>386223216
>Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain he wears the mask that looks like your pic related
>during the trip with him he takes off his masks and shows his real, burnt face
This would make him much more interesting.
>>
>>386216787
I like his silly design, and his background, and that's about it. He is pretty much a forgettable character. Not even Horan remember Skullface after he did his voice for him.

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=19466
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.