[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BotW style or Traditional style?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_0878.jpg (245KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0878.jpg
245KB, 1280x720px
Do you prefer the physics puzzles or the standard puzzles for Zelda? Do you want the next game to feature physics puzzles or traditional puzzles?

To me it's not even a contest, the physics puzzles are so much more engaging than traditional ones.
>>
>>386210475
Also do you want Zelda to return to its more linear style?
>>
Botw style with one stipulation, monolith soft continues making the world
>>
puzzles in 2d games are quicker, and often required more thinking (never any big amount, but still). When 3d puzzles finally became difficult in Majora's, they were too hard because of perspective issues and such. I feel like the dungeons in BOTW went back and made 3d puzzles better.
>>
The """traditional""" puzzles have been far too rehash-y for a very long time. The physics puzzles may have been a dramatic change that was necessary. Even so, I'm not the biggest fan of physics puzzles. They often feel wonky and weird, plus I'm sure we've all had a fair experience with this sort of thing by now. An ideal world would be one with interesting and new "tradition" puzzles, and the physics shit for something else.
>>
File: .jpg (57KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
57KB, 570x570px
What exactly is the standard Zelda puzzle? Seeing a specific object that requires a specific item then using said specific item on said specific object? When I think of Zelda I don't think of good puzzles. At least the physics stuff lets you have fun with your creativity.
>>
>>386210475
I just want more unlockable runes and maybe a wing suit
>>
>>386211013
Yeah that. Using item on a specific location and watching whatever play out
>>
>>386210530
Open world but with more linear story and progression would be my dream
>>
File: 1489721586518.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1489721586518.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>386210475
physics puzzles are ok, but make them somewhat realistic in real dungeons.
botw dungeons seemed so short.
>>
BoTW open world with traditional dungeons and equipment. Runes are neat but I find them too high technology to feel like a proper adventure y'know?
>>
>>386210475
Physics puzzles, as long as there's more conditions to puzzles (ie you can't just cheese THIS puzzle using THIS method because of other issues).
>circuit puzzle you need anti-electric gear to access; because you have to be grounded you can't use electric weapons to cheese it
>circuit puzzle that arrows don't work on because of a sandstorm
>circuit puzzle that metal weapons don't work on because it's on raw earth and that grounds the weapons
More weather and overworld conditions like this that force you to adapt would be great. When you have so many potential solutions, disabling a handful can force players to try something new.
>>
>>386210475
Neither are acceptable since the witness raised the bar for puzzle games.
>>
File: 1494618229349.jpg (167KB, 1400x1190px) Image search: [Google]
1494618229349.jpg
167KB, 1400x1190px
>>386211013
Whenever I think about traditional Zelda puzzles I think about block-pushing puzzles. They have been on all the games except for BotW.
Also switch-turning puzzles and bomb or arrow timing puzzles.
Pic unrelated
>>
Physics based puzzles are really frustrating to deal with and seem really out of place in a Zelda game.
I prefer the traditional style of puzzles where you have to use the tools you got in your journey (i.e fire.ice arrows, hookshot, boomerang, metal boots, etc.)
>>
Fewer "traditional" puzzles, more ACTUAL dungeons. By that I mean large labyrinthine temples/castles/fortresses/etc. crawling with enemies, locking doors with ambushes, secret passages, bombable walls of rubble, and a tense atmosphere.
BotW finally got the overworld right for the first time in decades, now the dungeon design needs to be looked at, preferably by using Hyrule Castle as a blueprint.
>>
File: WiiU_screenshot_TV_01C94.jpg (398KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
WiiU_screenshot_TV_01C94.jpg
398KB, 1280x720px
I think the BotW style would work better if it was toned down in some manner. It's great at first, you feel like you have so much to do and you'll get so much but you end up not really satisfied (At least in my experience) compared to the previous games. The Shrines become repetitive due to all the fighting trials but the actual puzzle trials were fun even though some took a bit too long (The blue fire one specifically) and having the outside be the puzzle just to get a shrine with a chest that usually contained a breakable item was such an immense disappointment. Korok Seeds seemed to be the majority of the side content and the sidequests you could do were rarely anything more than just collecting a bunch of stuff for someone. After that you have the dungeons that are just bigger shrines really, and the memories.

What it really lacked was unlockable items from the dungeons, there is an amazing feeling when you get something like Roc's Feather and can finally jump over pits and do something you couldn't before to explore more while in BotW everything is open and you're handed everything barring Revali's Gale and the Zora Armor swimming ability which means you already have everything at your disposal to find everything with the latter two just making it easier to traverse. I'd want something where we have areas separated until you get certain items or abilities to access them without making it feel like they're just a key for a lock by having them help in combat or exploration in some way outside of designated areas, and leave them mostly open with some areas locked off without abilities. They also really need to get rid of this orb system they have that you trade in for heart pieces or stamina, it really kills any excitement when they're basically just really rare Rupees you can trade in for stuff.

They have a good plan they just need to condense it a bit more in my opinion. I want a mix of both.
>>
>>386211842
ZELDA: THE EPIC VIDEOGAME LEGEND. THE GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME.
"We've got sokobans!"
>>
Physics Dungeons, Hyrule Castle style dungeon or Traditional dungeons?
>>
>>386212490
How about we had a giant monster Link would crawl around that was like an entire dungeon turned inside out? You'd have to solve the puzzle of how to stab the monster's weak point-- how to reveal it and how to access it, all the while it tries to gore you!
>>
>>386211582
All of them, serving their own distinct purposes in BotW. What kind of idiot would make a world exploration game and then throw you into three hours of interconnected puzzle rooms?
>>
Leave the standard puzzles for dungeons, that's all it needed, everything else is ok.
>>
>>386212490
Hyrule Castle style. The so-called traditional puzzles need to go
>>
>>386212880
That's my fetish
>>
>>386210475
well.... while I do prefer regular puzzles, Zelda games have basically done them all, so they seem more like a chore, physics puzzles can be very very varied, I guess they just need to make the shrines longer or with multiple rooms where you advance and keep solving more physics puzzles till you find needed item or boss character
>>
>>386212229

This guy gets it. BotW was an amazing 11/10 game but every Zelda game has a few flaws with the ideas it introduces that usually get refined to something better the next time.

The world in BotW was surprisingly full and alive so I expect it to be even moreso next time in a game that isn't post apocalyptic. I also expect enemy variety to be there, and durability and rain slickness will be toned down a bit.
>>
>>386210475

Why not both

Technically BOTW had standard puzzles

We could go for a mix for even more
>>
>>386210475
BOTW just needed actual dungeons.
>>
>>386210475
>puzzles
The puzzles in BotW were the best they've ever been in 3D Zeldas.
What BotW needed more of wasn't puzzles. It was having more sections sectioned off by enemies.

Hyrule Castle and the Master Trials are like the only places in the entire game that even attempted it. And those were great though.
>>
>>386210475
How about no puzzles at all?
>>
>>386210475
BoTW had garbage dungeons (most shrines were also bad) and attempted to fill up mass amounts of space with copy pasted content. The story was okay but there wasn't much of it.
I wouldn't enjoy it if BotW became the norm.
>>
>>386210475
>>386210530
Definitely stay wih physics-based puzzles and non-linear gameplay HOWEVER some rollbacks to some "traditions" could be an improvement such as:

>Have less sidequests but have them more fleshed out and involved beyond "Hey I have a problem, go over here, do this thing that you've already done, come back and I'll give you some cooking ingredients
> Get rid of weapon durability altogether because it adds nothing but tedium to gameplay
> Have a smaller selection of permanent weapons (with sidequests to upgrade them) and bring back traditional weapons and items
>Have a wider selection of enemies and bosses
> Either scrap divine beasts and bring back long, complex dungeons with a unique boss OR make the Divine Beast fights more like Shadow of the Colossus in scale and more involved than "shoot four weakpoints so it stops moving and you can get inside to do a slightly bigger shrine"
>>
>>386212229
>Korok Seeds
The fact that there's 900 of these things is the one thing that really makes me go 'What the hell were you thinking Aonuma'? I could see 200-300, but the fact that they thought making 900 locations of these things instead of adding another story dungeon or a couple legitimate side dungeons is extremely puzzling.
>>
File: WiiU_screenshot_TV_01C94.jpg (488KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
WiiU_screenshot_TV_01C94.jpg
488KB, 1280x720px
>>386215890
The whole point of it was that anyone can get a good chunk of them to upgrade their inventory no matter how they played. They don't really expect you to get all of them which is why the reward is so terrible.

That didn't stop me.
>>
>>386216640
The thing is that upgrading your inventory isn't really a big priority. After doing it a few times each you should have enough space to not worry about being to full for a new weapon.
>>
>Do you prefer the physics puzzles or the standard puzzles for Zelda? Do you want the next game to feature physics puzzles or traditional puzzles?
Fuck puzzles.

>>386210530
>Also do you want Zelda to return to its more linear style?
Fuck you.
>>
>>386215546
The Divine Beasts were fine, really. They just lacked enemies for some really odd reason.
>>
>>386217350
And they were too short
>>
>>386217350
>The Divine Beasts were fine
kys my man. they were fine as side puzzles maybe
>>
File: OoT_NA_Box.jpg (161KB, 800x549px) Image search: [Google]
OoT_NA_Box.jpg
161KB, 800x549px
best game
>>
>>386218164
this
>>
>>386217907
Because there were no enemies.
>>
>>386210475
I just want a zelda like WW again, but with this aesthetic. imagine exploring coves, having battles on sinking ships, more islands, etc.

also not done by nintendo. this series desperately needs some fresh outsider's perspective.
>>
>>386218334
>also not done by nintendo. this series desperately needs some fresh outsider's perspective.

then play any action adventure game made after tloz faggot. what do you think they based the genre after
>>
my girlfriend was so hyped about this game but she basically gave up and doesn't play anymore, because it was aparently too difficult. not just combat wise but also because the game just doesn't spell out obvious solutions to puzzles, which is great

i remember one particular puzzle in Botw that required you to use both the box bomb and spherical bombs and it was literally impossible for her to figure out, that she could use both at the same time

10/10 game that makes you feel superior over your partner
>>
>>386218164

That's one thing I dislike about BOTW. Its story. I wish it was more cohesive. OOT's story was a whole journey. I feel like with BOTW you were the one creating your own journey through how open-ended it was. And while that isn't really a bad thing, I sort of missed the emotional impact that OOT had. You got to see Link grow up and you saw how much the world changed due to his several year long absence. And while the writing alone probably wouldn't win it awards, it's how everything comes together so perfectly, from the world, to the puzzles, to the characters, to the items, to the story to make a unique whole. While the memories element in BOTW isn't bad (okay, I guess it kinda is)...I really wish they had more of an actual real-time story, rather than him just remembering past events. With the way BOTW's story is presented through memories, I feel like an old man reminiscing about the good ol' days.
>>
>>386210475
BOTW is good but it needs one important thing

Tier 4 upgrades. one thing that pissed me off is that Zora weapons, Shieka weapons and so on all became useless after your first few lynel kills.

They need to add bonuses to sets, a full suit of Zora armor and you do more damage with Zora weapons and so on.
>>
>>386218528
zelda gets far too much credit. but think what you want, my man.
>>
File: Star-Wars-Quote-15-1024x768.jpg (217KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Star-Wars-Quote-15-1024x768.jpg
217KB, 1024x768px
>>386218334
>also not done by nintendo
It takes a special type of moron to post this.
>>
>>386218164
really hasn't held up.
>>
>>386218619
>too difficult
Holy shit I thought my friend was the only one
>>
>>386219246
I don't know anon I actually played all the way through it for the first time last summer and I thought it was great.
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (177KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
177KB, 1280x720px
What's the actual point behind stal monsters?
At first it was interesting how you could use the arms as weapons but on my second playthrough they've become a mere nuisance.
>Everytime they come out of the ground they always have some weapon that at best is a tier below yours
>Can appear at anytime they want even if you're fighting a bigger enemy like Lynels,Stalnoxs,or Moldugas
>Even if the late game weapons are pretty durable it's not worth wasting two hits on a royal broadsword just so they can stop shooting you while you're trying to climb a wall
Also I'm aware of the glow in the dark armor I'm still trying to upgrade it but even then they could have been done better
>>
>>386210475
I would like to see a mix of both. And that might be the next step for the next big Zelda.

I like how open BoTW is. No restrictions for the most part, you can go and do mostly everything without having to actually "progress" in the game's main story.

While the concept of controlling giant machines as a puzzle is great, I don't like how they replaced major dungeons. I miss the atmosphere of dungeons like the OoT Spirit and Forest temples, the creepyness of the shadow temple. I wish you could actually go inside the fort in Akala, or behind the statue in the Forgotten Temple. And that there were more than just a shrine inside the Serpent's Jaw.

In a way I can see why they went with the Beasts. It was simply not possible in BoTW's style as they would require a lot of space on the map and not offer a whole lot of dungeon on it's own (much like hyrule castle in the game) but if they somehow manage to pull it off it would be amazing.
>>
>>386220138
SPOILER THIS SHIT
>>
>>386220138
>90% of the game is filler
>doesn't understand why filler enemies pop up randomly every night
use your brain
>>
>>386220138
To have a new class of monsters that look and act significantly different despite using the same skeleton.
>>
>>386210475
botw style, but with a smaller and more dense map

Less collectables, get rid of weapon durability or improve it, back to old style of dungeons, remove the requirement to do story events to start dungeons, remove the requirement to have to do the story events at all
>>
>>386220138
Night time effects the game. Not hard to figure out.
>>
>>386219745
it hasn't. take my word for it.
>>
>>386220801
Yes it has, as a 3ds game at least, its one of the best handheld action games there is. Kids these days have played it for the first time and are floored that such a game exists on a handheld. It outshines anything else offered by handhelds in its genre quite easily.
>>
>>386210475
I want the BOTW world with real temples/dungeons, more enemies, and sidequests that aren't "Go find the thing"
>>
>>386217289
Yeah, but the point is that they have no clue what kind of path each person is going to take around their world so they sprinkle them all over the place for you to gather just enough in a casual palythrough to let you get some slots in each section, primarily the weapon slots.
>>
>>386220925
>go find the thing
Nothing wrong with that, it just needs to have something else tied to it. Like tarrey town
>>
>>386212229
And this is why I haven't touched the game in months.
>>
>>386210475
False dichotomy, you can have "traditional puzzles" with physics. Nintendo just couldn't be assed to make real dungeons and made a bunch of identical looking boxes instead.
>>
>>386221028
>finish tarrey town
>get more items i already have 50 of
>this is supposed to be the big payoff
shit reward desu that made the entire questline lackluster
>>
>>386221832
The reward was getting the construction faggots off your lawn
>>
>>386221832
I'd say the stores are the best part about it since they sell arrows in bulk on the cheap compared to warping to all of Beedle's locations to clean him out.
>>
>>386221881
fair enough
>>
>>386221285
That's irrelevant to anything in the OP though
>>
>>386221832
Also, if you somehow allow the Hylian Shield to break you can buy another one only at Tarrey Town
>>
>>386220905
>played the neutered 3Ds version with bright sapppy visuals and no muslim chanting/blood

kek
>>
The divine beasts are the very well designed dungeons I don't care what anyone says. I hope they carry and expand on the control the dungeon itself concept
>>
File: over the shiggy wall.png (163KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
over the shiggy wall.png
163KB, 520x520px
>>386210475
I believe BotW is a 10/10.
It is my personal GOTY so far.

But I would have preferred a standard Zelda game.
I understand it would not be as fiscally responsible.
Even if it was well done people would lambast Nintendo with claims that they are treading water.
Fact of the matter is that if they had tried to actually make a Zelda it would just be Skyward Sword all over again.

I understand that I enjoy puzzles more than the average consumer and that making them an incredibly optional task made the game more appeal to a broad scope of people.
They didn't do anything objectively wrong.
They made a great game.
But they didn't make a Zelda.
It is a dead series to me.
Not because it is actually dead, Nintendo is still around, but more that it can no longer exist in this day and age.
>>
>>386222791
This. Also add a sotc-style battle at the start, and make the interiors look different. Add enemies in them too, master-trial style well-designed combat arenas would be fantastic
>>
>>386222872

master quest was terrible.
>>
>>386222803
I agree with this. Even the clones that try to copy Zelda remove much of the focus on puzzles and double down in combat and set pieces. Very few puzzle adventure games exists now.
>>
>>386222956
I meant the sword trials, slipped up but it should be obvious anyway. Damn I loved those trials, redeemed my early purchase of the DLC
>>
>>386219129
What are the capcom Zeldas
>>
>>386222803
>I believe BotW is a 10/10.
>It is my personal GOTY so far.
>But they didn't make a Zelda.
>It is a dead series to me.
autism
>>
Physics puzzles are an improvement, but the puzzles still need to have a more risk/reward element. If you fail you can more often than not just redo it, they need to make it so failure means being punished instead of just retrying
>>
>>386210475
Physics puzzles are objectively better. It gives more control to the player and allows more creative solutions. Traditional Zelda puzzles are basically hitting something and watching a cutscenes play
>>
>>386222789
Its the definitive version of the game, and I've played them all. 1.0 with the OG swordless Link glitch, 1.1, 1.2 all on n64 back when I was in grade school, gamecube collection and the promodisk with master quest, I emulated it with texture packs later on, and after all of that I knew instantly that the 3ds version is the best version of the game.

The "blood" from the ganon fight was removed after version 1.0, in version 1.1 it was already gone, and I don't want filthy muzzies to have anything to do with my hero fantasies, thanks. Also I know the song well, but always found the original and the replaced version equally forgettable

Literally the only thing I didn't like was them replacing the crescent symbol with something that was completely unremarkable, I'd rather have had them use something with a lot more personality, even if it was just a triforce, I have no fucking idea what the hell that new symbol is suppose to convey other than, "we couldn't think of anything"
>>
>>386223178
Oracle of Ages and Seasons, which are fantastic games, easily some of the best 2D games out there, and they still hold up quite well. The password system to trade items and get the NG+ is fucking fascinating and works wonders for the game's longevity, seriously holy shit, what a game
>>
>>386222803
They made a Zelda for the first time in 20 years.
>>
>>386222803
I got about 4 sentences in before I deleted them and replaced them with the following:

You are an idiot.
>>
>>386224042
Breath of the wild would benefit from a NG+. Hope they add it in the next game or whatever
>>
>>386224636
It really would, its too bad
>>
>>386210530
Stay open world but with some linear elements
>>
File: 1473909326296.jpg (73KB, 960x911px) Image search: [Google]
1473909326296.jpg
73KB, 960x911px
>>386218334
>this series desperately needs some fresh outsider's perspective
>thread is discussing the huge swerve the series just took in design, heavily influence by fresh blood in the dev team getting a say
>>
>>386210530
Full open world but with more unlockabale runes
>>
>>386210530
I just want large dungeons and a better, more emotional story
>>
>Ocarina of Time-tier dungeons
>Majora's Mask-tier story
>Breath of the Wild-tier world and gameplay
>>
File: 1423367265933.jpg (29KB, 306x273px) Image search: [Google]
1423367265933.jpg
29KB, 306x273px
I like the style BotW has going for it now, but do think it could use a little more flavors of the rest of the series sprinkled in to refine it. Keep the open world and nonlinearity, but have divine beasts replaced with more proper dungeons that have special tools that are still not entirely necessary to completing the game, but are still very fun to play with or allow some workarounds for other puzzles and areas throughout the game, like the clawshot and iron boots. The overworld itself can hide a few special upgrades throughout the game as well like maybe pegasus boots or power bracelets. Really, the base game of BotW is a fine base to work with, just add what I mentioned and flesh out the enemy variety better. And if you want a way to wall off areas with much harder enemies and dungeons, dark world or any other equivalent.
>>
>>386225176
then it will be like every single open world game out there
>>
>>386226801
I mean is that a bad thing?
>>
>>386226698
Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword had for the most part better dungeons, just shittier items.
>>
>>386218671
This.
>>
>>386224239
Not really. Zelda 1's overworld content was exceeded by its dungeon content. Hell; level 9 is the size of half the overworld in itself. Additionally; there's no real sense of progression in BotW compared to the original. You start off with everything, which means there's less to think about since you already have every easy option at your immediate disposal.

It's still enjoyable; but it's a distinctly different kind of experience.
>>
>>386210475
Why not both? Divine beasts and traditional dungeons. Link them both together via plot or something
>>
>>386227317
>Zelda 1 was twenty years ago

You've been asleep a long time, hero. Much has changed in Hyrule since you drew the Master Sword...
>>
>>386227675
This would be ideal
>>
>>386224703
Would it really, though? I would love a NG+ as well but I feel like it would trivialize the whole game. If all your hearts, stamina, and equipment carried over there would no do reason to anything besides gun straight for Ganon which would take maybe an hour ot two at most.
>>
>>386211138
Cryonisis+ To freeze lava
Magnesis+ to either pick up gems or enemies (similar cooldown to stasis)
Camera+ for filters
>>
>>386210475
BotW was really missing explorable caves

That's the forgotten temple, kinda, but I wanted to go spelunking sometimes.
They would have been especially useful during rain when there's no overhand about, just jump into a pit-cave and start a fire
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.