[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Someone Redpill Me On The Digital vs. Physical Argument?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 11

File: PlayStation-Store-Tag.jpg (42KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
PlayStation-Store-Tag.jpg
42KB, 600x338px
I've been a physical fag forever, I even bought GRR twice, once digitally because I couldn't find it physical then bought it for 75 off of ebay for a physical copy. I hear many people around me talking about the convenience of it all being able to go in and out of games without having to grab the case and put in a disc. I just never understood how digital games work in the long run.
>>
You bought Gravity Rush Remastered for $75?
>>
Buy physical if you can resell the game. Digital if you can't buy physical anymore, game has online only/limited use CD key, or is much cheaper than physical.
>>
I'm not going to get too much into it and this is entirely subjective, but whatever here we go
>99.9% of the time It's always "in stock" (Since some games can be removed)
>Saves on space
>Can't be lost
>Can't be damaged
>Always with you
>Better for backup purposes
This one would be pretty controversial, Some might argue (and rightfully so) when servers go down you can't download your game anymore but there has never really been a case of this happening since digital is far too early.
Your house might even get burnt down or robbed, That's also a possibility.

When I moved house I had way too many games to move properly, I had to ditch a ton of cases for them, leave them in storage or just throw them away
That won't happen with a digital collection
I get that it looks nice on your shelf but is every game that sentimental to you?
>>
>>386178836
Digital games are basically just a license to play a game. As long as you always have an account you can always redownload and play the games you've bought.

Pros: Better digital deals (way better than physical), preload for midnight release games so you can play at midnight, if someone steals your ps4 and hard copy games, you can get a new ps4 and re download your digital goods

Cons: Memory (you should consider upgrading your hard drive), can't resell (even though the game resale market is shit), can't share with friends.
>>
>>386179197
Yep, don't regret it since it was a fun game
>>
The convenience isn't much if you actually have your shit organized. It just tales a minute to swap games with disks. If you're swapping games constantly for some reason then idk maybe it's convenient then.

If your harddrive ever fails on you and you need to replace it, you're going to have to sign in at least once to verify your digital downloads. Even if you have it backed up, which isn't the case for physical.

To prevent having to go online onto psn to get updates and installation shit, you can backup all your updates and game data off your harddrive for your physical games so you don't have to sign in at all.

I've been a physical fag too, and digital just seems silly to me since most of the time, the digital prices arent even that much different from the physical copies. In fact, sometimes they're even more expensive.
>>
>>386180075
It is a great game, but man I'm glad I picked it up at launch for $30.
>>
>>386178836

Digital for PC, physical for console
>>
>>386178836
i buy games physical so i can resell them after i'm done
>>
>>386179672
>Better digital deals (way better than physical)

Is that why I can buy physical copies of games for $3 that still cost $40 on PSN/XBL/Steam?
>>
>>386178836
its not look at PT or any game that was delisted, at least with physical you can always buy a copy
>>
>>386178836
I only buy PC games digital these days. No fiddling with discs and you can shop without leaving your house.
I would never buy a console game digitally, though.
>>
There is no Red Pill on digital games, it's 100% free money given directly to the Jews running digital storefronts.

You don't buy digital music, do you? How about digital movies? Ever spent money on an imaginary friend, pretend tea, or good intentions? No, fuck no, because it's literally wasting money.

Don't fall into the trap. You can not possibly be so fat that you can't get up for ten seconds to swap the game disc.
>>
>>386181987
This. When you buy digital you're stuck with it forever with no way to make any of your money back if you so desire.
>>
>>386178836
What fucking argument? Do you want to have games without boxes piling up? Get digital. Do you want to have physical copies that you can resell? Get physical.
>>
>>386182387
Why not buy digitally on console if you will buy digital on PC?
>>
>>386182867
PC digital is yours to keep forever, and usually does last forever

COnsole digital ends each generation unless you keep the old consoles, and you can't resell it so longevity doesn't matter too much
>>
>>386182867
Not him but, where are you going to find physcial for PC. That's pretty non existant now.
Besides, theres also GoG which has all the benefits of physical, but it's digital.
>>
Don't go digital EVER

i have over 100 games on my PS3 that i bought on PSN

my PS3 is dead and in 5-10 years every ps3 will be broken and i wil not be able to play my games

if i had those 100 games in a box now i would sell them all
>>
>>386183292
>Buy physical game
>All PS3 dies
Oh fuck, what do I do now?
>>
Digital is good if it's DRM free. So basically PC or modded consoles. Otherwise you are 100% depending on the servers never going down in the future. As someone with a few hundred physical games, I much prefer having things like Everdrives/Modded Wii with harddrive to switching CDs/carts. I'm not going to resell anything, and eventually having to store all that shit catches up with you.
>>
>>386183373
>all PS3s work perfectly fine
>disc rot claims every physical copy
>>
>>386178836
>"I've been a physical fag forever"
>>
>>386179643
>When I moved house I had way too many games to move properly
How? Unless your collection is rivaling AVGN's I can't understand how you can't easily pack 60+ games.
>>
>>386183501
I'm really just pointing out his flawed logic. If he buys digital and every PS3 dies in 10 years, he can't play his games. If he buys physical and every PS3 dies in 10 years, he can play his games??
>>
>>386179672
>Pros: Better digital deals (way better than physical)
No. Maybe on Steam and the Humble Bundle from time to time but Flash Sales on PSN are almost never that cheap, it's usually $10-20 off with a very very rare $30 or $40 and that's months if not years after release. Meanwhile I can already have a physical copy two months after release for $40 or less. Hell, any AAA game drops to $20-40 almost immediately after the first month, you can get FFXV right now for $40~ compared to PSN, or Persona 5 for $50 with the PS3 version being $30 or $40.
>>
>>386182130
No, Its the reason why a store will have a game for £40~50 while online digital its £30~40
>>
>>386183593
>60+ games
That's like 5 years of gaming, even less if you have a bit of free time
>>
>>386183948
Maybe in the UK it's that shit of a situation, but in the States digital is almost never better than physical price wise, especially not in a 6 month time frame. The physical copies will have had at least five or six sales by the time digital will see $10 off at best.
>>
>>386183292
In 5~10 years PS3 emulation should be up and running well

If every PS3 is broken it doesn't matter how you got them since you can't play them anymore anyway

No one would buy that box

Why do you type like this?
>>
>>386179643

>>Saves on space

I'm gonna tell you now this is bullshit. The disc fucking installs to the drive so it doesn't matter if you get physical or digital. If a game is 50 on either that's how much you're losing.
>>
>>386178836
Torrent games, get a big hard drive on your PC and forget your worries.
>>
>>386183835
I think that these days physical drop really, really fast in price but never go bellow 20 bucks even after many years.
Digital is hit or miss but most of the time they will drop under 20 bucks
>>
>>386184063
If you buy 2 games a month it's only about 2.5 years.
2nd hand games are even so cheap you could easily grab 30 in a year.
>>
>>386184209
I think he meant physical space dude.
>>
>>386183373
read my post, if i had the 100 games in physical form now id sell them all
>>
>>386183501
blu ray can last over 100 years easily
>>
>>386184426
Yea, you can grab 60 games really fast with 2nd hand games, I went with 5 years because there are also people that only buy 2-3 games per years and bring the average down
>>
>>386182472
Why wouldnt anyone buy music digitally?
>>
In canada, digital isn't even a choice, it's mendatory. The online store has no sales taxes, so you instantly save a significant amount just by buying digital.
>>
>>386178836
For this gen, both consoles require all physical games to be installed completely onto the hard drive to help reduce load times. So even if you're 100% physical you'll still fill up your HDD fast.
>>
>>386185838
I buy my physical games from asia and europe.
It's cheaper than Canadian prices and tax free.
Of course the problem is that post-canada will keep your games hostages for 2 montsh or more unless you pay 20$ of shipping.
>>
File: PT.jpg (296KB, 1919x1079px) Image search: [Google]
PT.jpg
296KB, 1919x1079px
>>386178836
Is it that hard to understand?

1) I don't have to move my ass to get a game, I can buy it at any time and I don't need to hunt for discounts in specific retail stores, I simply wait for digital discounts across each region.

2) I don't need to worry about game shortages, or prices rising up rapidly becaues it's a niche game (say, GravityRush1's PS4 remaster)

3) I THINK my blu-ray drive is broken and constantly ejecting, but I don't need to care because I only buy digital. If I got physical games I'd have to buy a new system, probably. Point is, I don't need to care about it.

4) I had no idea you still had to swap out disks to play physical games this gen. I thought as soon as you installed a game it would become account-bound and you wouldn't need your disk anymore. Thanks for reminding me how bothersome physical disks are.

There, 4 reasons. If you're worried about the future just install your library across 1TB HDD's and you can still play them that way long after they aren't available to download or the service is down. P.T. is an example of that, I can still play that game despite it being removed from the store, and if I care enough I can transfer it to another HDD for safekeeping
>>
File: 1501799164875.gif (2MB, 230x250px) Image search: [Google]
1501799164875.gif
2MB, 230x250px
>>386183948
What country are you living in anon? Almost all games go on sale in shops long before they go on sale digitally in the rest of the world.
>>
File: storage ps4.jpg (81KB, 1200x654px) Image search: [Google]
storage ps4.jpg
81KB, 1200x654px
>>386178836
Digital buyer till the end of time
>>
>>386185992
>If you're worried about the future just install your library across 1TB HDD's and you can still play them that way long after they aren't available to download or the service is down.

You have to sign in to verify a digital game when using a new HDD
>>
>cant share digital
bullshit, every time you buy a game on psn its basically 2/3 licenses depending whether its ps3 or ps4. we have 2 ps4s at home and i share games with my wife no problem. i only buy digital because of this
>>
>>386185978

Don't you get fucked over the exchange rate to USD + shipping costs anyways?
>>
>>386183948

Most of the major titles released in the last 6 months are still full price on the PSN store, while you can pick most of them up for less than £30 if you shop around
>>
>>386186339
Then what's the point of saving digital long term if this shit is just going to happen?
>>
>>386186571
Base game in canada is 90$
Game import from Europe or asia is 30$ or less after exchange rate
Shipping is usually just a few dollars, sometime it's free if using Amazon
>>
File: lady thinking.png (72KB, 449x498px) Image search: [Google]
lady thinking.png
72KB, 449x498px
>>386186063
I don't know anon, Which country uses "£" as their currency?
Maybe that will give you some insight.
>>
>>386182472
>You don't buy digital music, do you? How about digital movies?

THIS

NO ONE BUYS FUCKING DIGITAL MUSIC OF MOVIES

BUT SUDDENLY ONCE ITS VIDYA, WAAHH I GOTTA SUPPORT THE DEVS

MUH DEVELOPERS
>>
>>386186760
Idk bud. Thats why I buy physical.
>>
>>386186921
I can understand movies but everyone I know who buys music buys digital music off iTunes store or gets a Tidal or Spotify subscription.
>>
>>386178836
This gen, there's little reason to go physical unless there's license issues like Puyo Puyo Tetris for PS4.
>>
>>386184265
>never go below 20 bucks even after many years
That always got on my nerves. There is no reason for this. Even if it is new. If it ain't selling, drop that shit because it isn't worth $20. It's probably because Gamestop is pretty much a monopoly on games.
>>
>>386186921
I actually bought Tron Legacy OST on itunes day 1, shame it's hard to find good movie osts now, it's either the usual hans zimmer cinematic rumbles or some currently famous pop singer decided to license songs, or it's a compilation of licensed songs Suicide Squad, GotG vol 2
>>
>>386185992
>I don't need to hunt for discounts in specific retail stores
Have you not heard of Amazon? 10 to 1 you will have a price cheaper than anything without even needing to do more than searching the name. Not a single other place can match Amazon's cheap prices for video games, very rarely does Target or Walmart have a better deal than Amazon.
>>
File: 1500929539641.gif (154KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1500929539641.gif
154KB, 360x360px
>>386187098
I still buy CDs but I guess I'm oldschool.
>>
File: IMG_0647.jpg (64KB, 720x695px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0647.jpg
64KB, 720x695px
>>386187642
I do too, anon.
>>
File: 1481181078942.jpg (140KB, 906x993px) Image search: [Google]
1481181078942.jpg
140KB, 906x993px
>buy destiny 2 $48 20% off
>best buy preorder bonus $10
>play it
>resell for $45

literally make money buying physical
>>
File: 9dc648bd55d62b2dc2a8cad635524a24.jpg (243KB, 1200x578px) Image search: [Google]
9dc648bd55d62b2dc2a8cad635524a24.jpg
243KB, 1200x578px
>>386186797
>>
>>386178836
Here's one benefit of physical: you can get an amazon prime trial and preorder all the games you want, saving something like $15 a pop. It's only worth it for games you know you'll play regardless of reviews. I preordered Xenoblade 2, and am still on the fence over whether I should for mario and fire emblem warriors. One of the main downsides of physical is that you have to change out your carts when you switch games, which is especially tedious if you're taking your console oot an' aboot.
>>
>>386187639
My country doesn't have Amazon.
Yet I can easily access every region digitally and take part in US/EU/JAP discounts regardless of where I live

Thanks for proving me right.
>>
File: pika.gif (2MB, 393x413px) Image search: [Google]
pika.gif
2MB, 393x413px
>>386187642
me too anon, but its for good reason. I only buy the CD's where I like the full album, on top of that, I buy second hand so it's literally like, 5 bucks or cheaper for a near mint / great condition CD.
>>
>>386187940
>My country doesn't have Amazon.
I'm so sorry.
>>
You usually can find some cheapo digital sales going, like i bought Mirror's Edge Catalyst for 6,99 on PSN that's probably never going to happen physically.
Also don't buy Catalyst jesus h christ it's 6.99 for a reason and i fell for it
>>
>>386188026
If I like the artist and most of the album I'll buy new from Amazon since they usually offer free MP3s of it too if you buy new from them.
I almost thought that anon was joking about buying the digital music from itunes until it dawned on me that I'm old
>>
Physical for Nintendo, digital for playstation.
>>
I'm still mad about the Scott Pilgrim game.
>>
>>386178836
Physical games can be resold, traded and (hopefully) be copied at a later date.
They take up space by anybody saying it's hard to move or transport has literally never realized how much you can fit in a big Rubbermaid bin.
Digital games can be taken away at any time, if some asshat mod decides to ban your account or Sony doesn't want you to play it.
>>
>>386188353
This
>>
>>386188389
This. There really is no reason we shouldn't still support physical. I think people just get into the politics of the time and when game "journalists" spout the shit that companies want them to about digital being "the future" people eat it up. The media machine still at work.
>>
Do you truly own digital content?
>>
>>386188657
>Do you truly own digital content?
Yeah if it's drm free and backed up in 3 to 4 places.
>>
>>386188353
Why? Emulation for it is getting there, and the game isn't all that great save for the soundtrack.
>>
For me is physical on release if i really like the game then whatever has the best deals.
>>
>>386185417
Gold coated archive discs ONLY. These are about eighty dollars for a ten pack and you're unlikely to see one outside enterprise data storage.

Non-coated blu-ray discs (ie. every PS3/4 game) are photosensitive and will be unreadable after 10 years or so, in ideal conditions.
>>
Physical games are only worth it if you have a collector mentality. The minute the game disc leaves the warehouse it is already outdated thanks to a day 1 patch that all games have. There are a few that don't, maybe, allegedly, but I can't think of any from this generation. Even The Last of Us Remastered, what should be the definitive edition of a last generation game, had a patch. So these fantasies about being able to play the game forever, whereas "digital cucks" will not, is completely false.

If you buy digital you get the same game you get with a disc, except its altogether. Instead of installing from a disc AND the internet it's just the internet. This can be a problem for areas with a bandwidth cap for sure, but hopefully those phase out after awhile. You also DO NOT save any hard drive space using the physical disc, for this generation anyway. Every game installs to the hard drive.

This leaves us in a predicament. What happens when they decide to pull the digital distribution servers? The only precendent we have for this is Microsoft, with DLC from the original Xbox. It was basically "tough shit" and you are SOL. You're Halo 2 Map Pack and Project Gotham Track Packs are gone forever. This was before digital distribution was mainstream though, and I don't think they could get away with it again. Sony disabled the store FRONT for the PSP, but you can still download any games you purchased using DD for the console.

To patch original Xbox games (and DLC), you can use special software after softmodding the console. This is probably how games will be preserved in the future. But then, all you need is an iso, so you're discs are more worthless than ever, again, unless you have a collector mentality.
>>
>>386189378
>Non-coated blu-ray discs (ie. every PS3/4 game) are photosensitive and will be unreadable after 10 years or so, in ideal conditions.
Which is why PS1 and PS2 games are all deteriorated, right?
>>
>>386189454
A huge percentage of original run discs actually are unreadable now. Have you ever tried to buy one?
>>
>>386188657
Do you truly own anything?
>>
>>386189672
not him, but I've bought like 10 ps1 games and they all play fine.
>>
>>386179197
Yeah wtf? I got it recently for $30
>>
>>386189410
You know. I'm actually curious if someone could start doing what cracker/hackers do and make legit finished copies of these games as downloads that are easily burned to discs. And then if you know how you could just make your own cover image and burn that onto the front of the disc. It would be nice to make physical versions of these games. Of course on PC they would have to install properly and you probably need a hacked console to get it to work there but it would be really nice. I'm not a collector fag who cares about it "being the original". I just want physical copies of the games to have for my favorites. For storage and to look at sometimes.
>>
Physical is only worth it for last gen. Current gen forward it's better just to get digital since the entire fucking game has to be installed now on consoles.

Only reason for physical this gen is if it is on sale or used.
>>
>>386189741
This. I just bought like 5 ps1 games from gamestop and amazon and they run like a charm
>>
>>386189787
I couldnt find it physically after I had already bought it digitally for 30 so I went on ebay and that was the cheapest one at the time.
>>
>>386190002
What'd you buy, bro? I've been playing wipeout 3 & tecmo's deception as of now.
>>
>>386190123
I got Final Fantasy Chronicles, Final Fantasy 8, Armored Core, Spyro and Dino Crisis.
>>
>>386190123
Not him but got Wild Arms 1 and 2 and Chrono Cross at a pawn shop a week or two back. All three run great.
>>
>>386181987
>>386182516
literal console peasants
>>
>>386178836

So there's pros and cons to each, most notably is that with digital there aren't adequate consumer rights. People who don't trust digital storefronts are totally in their right I believe, because there aren't enough consumer protection laws.

In digital's defense, I can't stress how useful it's been. I move alot, and being able to have all my games with me is amazing. My collected physical games range in the hundreds, but I never get to play any of them because theyre stuck in boxes, stacked for space efficiency. I never play them, I just use emulators, which are better cause my save files are all safe in one space. No need to worry about faulty memory cards or cartridge batteries.

I also don't have to worry about theft. No one can easily steal my Steam account unless I'm incredibly careless, and even then I can recover it. When I was a teenager buying games, I'd get games stolen all the damn time. Most annoying was having disk 1 of an RPG "borrowed". So my games are more secure now. I'm more likely to experience a flood or house fire that destroys my collection than I am of Steam shutting down and taking all my games with it.

For consoles, digital makes little sense because consoles now aren't backwards compatible, and if they are it's spotty at best. Not worthwhile to put money into that. I don't game on consoles at all though, so it doesn't matter.

If you live at home and have endless shelf space, go ahead and go physical if it brings you enjoyment. Unfortunately it doesn't fit into my life.
>>
>>386183593
my collection is several bookcases full. I've moved 3-4 times in the last decade, and boxing them up is agonizing and each time stuff gets abit more scuffed up and messed up. Collecting games is for people who have their lives 100% in order, not for ppl who are still up and coming or dont have permanent residence. Most of my games come from before used retro games started costing shitloads of money.
>>
File: Jonesin.jpg (303KB, 1538x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Jonesin.jpg
303KB, 1538x2048px
>>386178836
>Can Someone Redpill Me On The Digital vs. Physical Argument?

Physical:
Aesthetic to look at, and something to show your friends

You own what you paid for

You can create multiple accounts and still play the same game

30 years from now, you will still own your games

Digital:
You are giving money to a corporation that gets to decide whether or not your can keep the games you paid for

It's locked to a single account, that can be banned

30 years from now, servers will be down.
>>
>>386192119
Digital sounds like shit
>>
>>386187797
Not so fast Miyamoto. It costs gas money to drive to GameStop/Best Buy/Walmart. You have to figure that in. I'd break even, since my nearest GameStop is over 20 miles away.
>>
>>386178836
>not importing the Chinese or PAL version of GRR for like $30
bruh
>>
>>386192525
Wanted a NA version
>>
>>386181987
I have friends that work at Family Video, I would rent games for half the price and keep them two times as long, yet in the end, I didn't have anything to show for all the games I played...except money in my wallet.

>>386192306
Physical:
Amazon lowers the price to $19.99 on Black Friday.

Digital:
Remains $59.99 year round
>>
>>386189787
HK and Europe have copies for $30ish, US was Amazon exclusive so if you want a physical NTSC-U copy it's like $70 starting.
>>
>>386178836
physical means nothing anymore.
you need to install physical games, and get day 1 patches.

its almost like the cd is literally a license and not the full game
>>
>>386192691
In the past 5 years consoles have had some pretty good digital sales routinely. It does mostly depend on the publisher though.
It's like they finally realized if they have reasonably priced sales on digital games that people will buy those instead of grabbing cheaper used copies of games. That way they actually get a cut of it instead of someone else. It's pretty much a win for everyone except gamestop.
>>
>>386192119
in 30 years you're more likely to get robbed or your home burn down than Steam shutting down.
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.