[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0195.jpg (53KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0195.jpg
53KB, 400x400px
Is this game any good from a Stalkers point of view?
>>
File: 1341882456648.png (5KB, 228x222px) Image search: [Google]
1341882456648.png
5KB, 228x222px
Never even heard of it.
Also, it it's:

-Early Access
-MP focused
-Extreme "survival" features (ie starving in a day)
-Has no story to unravel

...then it's nothing like STALKER.
>>
>>386152023
not EA anymore
>>
>>386152023
Did you even look up the game?
>no multiplayer
>there's a story, but people say it sucks
>there's a survivial mode that people say does not suck
>it released the full version of the game on the 1st this month
that's about all I know
>>
It can be really unforgiving but that's the only comparison you can realistically make, it is not like STALKER in any sense.
>>
>>386152023
>>386152232
>>386152232
>Did you even look up the game?
/v/ in a nutshell
>>
>>386152232
No.
I did forget to type "if" in the sentence though.
>>
>>386151329
I'm a harcore STALKER. I've put in my time.

Before the latest release? I would say, no. I would say it's all a timewaster. There's no goal, or point. You need a quest.

Now? Not sure. I haven't played it. If it has a significant goal, then, yes.
>>
Boiling point road to hell
>>
>>386152023
>I know nothing about this game
>But I'm going to write an entire paragraph of lies about it

>>386151329
It's not too terribly much like STALKER. Compared to the dime a dozen survival games made in 15 minutes in Unreal Engine, it has more substance and thought put into it.
>>
>>386151329
Well i do stalk my sister and a cute friend on facebook everyday and sometimes take some creepshots of random girls, from my point of view the game is good but is pure survival nothing else you will get bored fast
>>
Can anyone tell me how I get past the piece of shit wolf on the road that eats a rabbit? I've tried throwing a torch at it but he just fucks me up anyways and I've walked around him, slept for 12 hours and he is still there. fucked me up severely and died due to shitty blizzard. Fucking bullshit scripted event.
>>
>>386151329
It's better than most survival games but still kind of boring and the story is just terrible. Also the fact that you need to hold down the search key for like 2-3 seconds to loot containers is stupid.
>>
>>386152690
You mean a little bit after the bridge?

Do you have any raw meat or guts or any animal products in your inventory? Cook it or get rid of it

Try to run past him when you're downwind, look at where the wind is blowing.

You can get past him pretty easily, especially if you take a left onto the frozen lake.
>>
>>386151329
haven't played it but from what I've seen of it, no.
>>
>>386151329
it is absolutely nothing like STALKER. It is one of the better survival games released though.
>>
>>386151329
The wolves kill you.
End of story.
....unless this shit changes, with might turn the game playable again.
>>
>>386152542
>>But I'm going to write an entire paragraph of lies about it
I did already admit that I omitted the single word of "if" from my post, as in I was meant to say that "IF the game has any of these...".
That's still not lying. STALKERs have quite unique composition and style.
>>
its boring like stalker so yes
>>
>>386152994
>if a game has x or y then it's not like game z, but i have no idea whether or not the game has these things so my post is fucking worthless
>>
>>386152953
>stop carrying raw meat
>look for footprints
>listen for wolves howling in distance
>stop going out at dusk
>run downwind
>stop carrying 50kg of equipment so you can outrun them
>keep flares on you
>make a wolf or bear hide clothing to repel them
>throw torches at them

A survival game that isn't "smash two rocks together to craft a mansion" and everyone thinks it's too hard
>>
>>386152023
The Long Dark is a pretty legit survival game, its survival mechanics are detailed and not like what you experience in other games.

Resources are scarce and there is no mechanic to make surviving easier. Everything you do burns calories and you are constantly on the move to find resources.

Nature is against you 24/7, this game might not be there for everyone, but people who enjoy it will find its mechanic really detailed.
>>
>>386152829
Yeah I did that but my character is sleepy and cold so he bitches every 2 seconds and then a shitty snowstorm starts so I have to take shelter with barely any wood, wake up due to cold in the middle of the night and die to cold or the faggot wolf somehow finds me even though I walked AROUND it to make sure he wouldn't follow me. Might have had some meat/guts so that could've been it but it is still bullshit that he is there after several hours.
>>
>>386153304
the story mode is going to be filled with scripted sequences because it's a series of crafted challenges. if you just want random exploration and no scripted shit, go to sandbox, which is overall a better experience anyways
>>
>>386153082
>"Yo fans of (X), have you heard of this totally unrelated game, (Y), which belongs to [generic genre] and looks like a typical specimen of it?"

No need to be dick. Some of us just have seen and experienced enough of vidya to make some educated guesses, which so far have not been shot down (except the E.A. status).
>>
>>386153304
The wolf on the bridge and the one right after is a little scripted to have a patrol pattern, I believe. If you're high on condition and have bandages/painkillers/antiseptic or the Reishi Mushrooms and Rose Hips you can just straight up fight and kill the wolf - If you damage him enough with your knife he'll run away and bleed out to death, you can skin him and eat him later as a trophy.

Walk around and gather as many sticks as you can and harvest branches, each stick keeps a fire going on for 10 minutes so you can add like 30 sticks and get warm and sleep there. Wolves won't attack you with a fire nearby.

Make sure to build the fire in some place where it can't get windy or the fire will blow out.

Wolves tend to attack you and hunt you more if you're low on condition or tired too so if you're already low that might be why they're so aggressive.
>>
>>386153507
how do you make an educated guess about a game you know nothing about?

you guessed it's "MP focused" and it has absolutely no multiplayer and never will. you're retarded.

the game is nothing like stalker and doesn't try to be like it. it's a survival game.
>>
>>386153153
>its survival mechanics are detailed
This already distances it from STALKER.
STALKER's "survival" features are very lightweight. Maybe once in a couple hours you need to double-click on a canned meat icon to make your hunger go away, but that's it.

Rest is just typical Slavland simulation: avoid getting shot or eaten by wild dogs, and don't overdoze with Vodka.
>>
It's probably the best EA survival sim that ever released.

It's good if you want a lonely, challenging experience where basically everything's job is to slowly kill you and make you feel hopeless about your chances.

It's good. So thematically there are similarities to STALKER but it's mostly just that it's a difficult first person video game. The gameplay is way different.
>>
>>386151329
I love it, but I get really drunk when I play vidya.

Something comfy about whethering a snow storm next to a barrel fire. Finding warmth in an abandoned car. Boiling water throughout the night. Collecting stuff an placing objects around my base. Killing my first deer, my first wolf. Getting killed by a bear. Starving/Freezing. Drowning.
>>
>>386152023
but its out of ea
and has no multiplayer
and has a story mode
>>
File: Boiling Point.jpg (504KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Boiling Point.jpg
504KB, 1920x1080px
>>386152513
That's a good one.
Wasn't it made by STALKER devs or something?
>>
File: 20140410020838.jpg (28KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
20140410020838.jpg
28KB, 300x300px
Far Cry 2 is the only western pewpew game that came remotely close to STALKAN

sorry to dissapoint
>>
>>386153496
The story is not worth it? I didn't really like the cutscenes and the character designs. I haven't played sandbox since 2016, maybe it's better now but I just remember getting fucked by a bear even though you've emptied an entire rifle clip into them. Eh, might just have been me being shit at the game but I'll give it another try.
>>386153627
>Wolves tend to attack you and hunt you more if you're low on condition or tired too so if you're already low that might be why they're so aggressive.
Probably why they are such faggots and attack me then, I only have about 30% health. Still bullshit that they shove two wolves upon you so early on with no way of defending yourself except for stabbing it with that shitty shard and almost destroy your mouse in the progress.
>>
I don't care if it's out of ea. If it ever was in it that automatically means it's shit
>>
>>386154078

Untrue in this instance, believe it or not.

I say this as someone who got DayZ standalone on release and believe Bohemia Interactive should burn.
>>
>>386153996
i'm playing through the story mode right now too and the writing is total garbage. only good thing about this mode is all the new stuff to explore

and yeah, the game throws you to the literal wolves really quickly in story mode. in sandbox they're set to not even be a threat the first day or two.
>>
>>386152023
This poster has down syndrome
>>
>>386153657
>how do you make an educated guess about a game you know nothing about?
By looking at given info and footage about it.

In this case, the simplified, stylized, hand-drawn promo-pic indicates of low- to medium-budget indie product.
The name and the axe in the title logo, together with OP's way of calling it "Stalker-like", associate it instantly with the numerous "survival" games the Steam's full of.
Most of these happen to be Early Access titles, and seldom do they evolve out of it. Many of them are also MP games, and have exaggerated "survival stats" to get players do the same mundane tasks over and over again within the short playing periods they invest into these games at once.
And rarely do they have any sort of story and other characters to interact with either.

It's pretty much the same as comparing Zelda to Dark Souls, Doom to CoD; yeah, there are superficial similarities one could list, but that don't make them the same or equal.
>>
>>386154149
I'm waiting for when DayZ comes out of EA so I can refund that shit
>inb4 it never releases
>>
>>386154248
This poster is underaged developer trying to shill his "game".
>>
>>386154360
>implying fp isn't anti-shilling
>>
>>386151329
>more early access trash

truly we're in the darkest timeline for video games
>>
>>386154249
welp, you gave it your best effort, but you were totally wrong. maybe your professional guessing skills won't fail you next time

>>386154360
the lead dev for this game is a dumb cunt, but he's also not underage. are you the same guy trying to make "educated guesses"?
>>
>>386154457
>didn't actually look at the game
>didn't read the thread
truly we're in the darkest timeline for /v/
>>
>>386154338

That would be incredible. I hate that fucking piece of shit.
>>
>>386153996
Get somewhere safe and rest up. Wolf attacks are never meant to be easy to deal with.

>>386154229
You can avoid them. If you even read the hints the game gives you it says you SHOULD avoid them.

>>386154457
>Out of early access
>$30
>Free updates
>>
>>386154249
But you are describing it as if it were a single-player Rust or The Forest. Which is what I was expecting.

It's more like Firewatch but with a gun to your head. The survival stats are not incidental side-distractions. They form the core game loop.

Ome thing I enjoyed about it is it wasn't a """"survival"""" game. It was a game where the sole, singular objective was not to get yourself killed.
>>
>>386154638
>welp, you gave it your best effort, but you were totally wrong
This thread alone seems to indicate I was not. If I was, it'd indeed be a total STALKER clone, but it's now been stated several times that it couldn't be further from it. Having just come out of E.A. does not change the fact that it indeed was an E.A. title just moments ago, and those tend to continue being "unfinished" for quite some time.

You're just getting stuck on the fact that I failed to type out "Also, IF it's:" correctly, thinking I was listing what it actually is, rather than stating details that would make it nothing alike STALKER.
So yeah, it's another Forest / Rust / 7 Days To Die / Don't Starve / whateverthefuck.
None of those were ever even challenging STALKER.

Finally, responding to criticism by calling one a retard is nothing but childish barking.
>>
>>386155084
OK, so it's still a typical survival game with no other goal. You just survive for survival's sake, for all eternity?

Again, not STALKER.
/thread
>>
File: 1386796199973.jpg (11KB, 292x292px) Image search: [Google]
1386796199973.jpg
11KB, 292x292px
>>386155091
>So yeah, it's another Forest / Rust
it's time to stop posting
>>
>>386151329
my review from a couple of hours of playing: the game seemed to be received really well so I checked it out with piracy discount.

kind of feeling like I wasted my time.

the survival mode is a cookie cutter repetitive 'gather and craft' fest with minor combat elements. I can't understate how cookie cutter it is: you're going to spend 90% of your time repetitively picking up small objects on the floor, or dismantling them and then crafting them into something using a typical 'the game shows you a progress bar and you wait 10 seconds while nothing happens and the item is crafted'.

unless you can find an interest in the locations itself (i.e. you can be 'oh cool there's a dam here' or 'oh cool there's a trainwreck here') there's literally nothing to explore in the game either, nothing of excitement to be found except houses and buildings full of random loot. even the survival modes only secret, the bunker, contains nothing but a a lot of end-game loot.

cont in next post
>>
>>386155515
All video games are a waste of time
>>
>>386155409
You still have not proven me otherwise, kiddo.

>>386155515
So far, this sounds like exactly what I expected.
>>
>>386155091
>because the game was EA means it is unfinished
the game was literally released as a complete product on the first.
>>
>>386151329
>tfw metro 2033 was a shitty linear fps instead of the glorious STALKER sim that was the books

Fuck this gay earth
>>
>>386155230
I am not the dude comparing it to STALKER.

90% of players wont be able to survive for all eternity. There is a heavy dose of entropy and degredation to the world around you.

The longest run I've heard of was a dude lasting close to 1,000 days. He made IRL spreadsheets to caculate resource locations/calerie expendedute and clothing degradation to a Jewish degree.

Most people fall through ice, get killed by wolves or fall off climbing ropes. Perish in a white out snow storm.
>>
>>386155669
you take that back
>>
>>386155789
Get some fucking taste you mong.
>>
>>386151329
I would suggest 7.62 high calibre if it doesn't have to be first person
>>
>>386155515
>cont

the game doesn't reek of particularly high skilled developers working on it either. the environment art is the best part, as it is servicable, but everything else ranges from mediocre to off-putting when you experience it (out of place sound effects, virtually no polish on graphical effects like wind that knows no collision and gameplay that keeps you stopping at tiny hurdles and breaking legs at 20cm jumps). all in all it does manage to conjure up a decent atmosphere, however I have to say that's easy to do with blowing wind sound effects and desolate environments.

the game has a story mode now but I know better than to play the intro episodes of a lengthy story that itself took two years to create with no concrete follow up in sight. so others may chime in on how it is.

overall 4/10
>>
>>386155678
rust / the forest are multiplayer games about collecting ass tons of resources from respawning nodes and building a giant fort out of shit

the long dark is about surviving extremely harsh weather, spending the night in a cave to avoid the biting wind, scaring away a wolf with a torch and running for your life, scavenging abandoned buildings for non-respawning loot, and staying alive for as long as you can.

they've massively different experiences. do you want me to write up a 10 page report telling you how wrong you are? why am i doing all the work for you?
>>
>>386155789
>metro
>shitty
the only thing that's shitty here is your taste
>>
I just put a few hours into it, it is nothing like STALKER

Most of the game you're avoiding wolves, and before you get a gun the closest thing to combat is throwing rocks or fire at wolves charging at you. There's nothing really with "paranormal science" like with stalker, its just you vs. the elements and it tries to be as realistic as it can be. There are no other NPCs, just an old lady who exists purely to advance the shitty plot.

Most of the game you're just staring at a outlined circle gauge filling up, and when you're not doing that you're managing the annoying little draining stamina bars that come with every survival crafting game. It's a game about decision making and time management, like should i loot this building before nightfall, etc. It's not really exciting because youll know you fucked up when you can't make a fire or something and you just reload your save.

The only things I like about it is the atmosphere and art style. It isn't as immersive as stalker, but its a pretty comfy game when you're not doing some inane task so you don't die from food poisoning or something.

There also seem to be stupid game balance decisions, like if a wolf attacks you and you hatchet his face in the QTE, you can follow the wolf around until it bleeds to death. You can even make them die instantly if theres a building or loading screen near by, as the game's time simulation just kills the wolf instantly from blood loss (i guess) when you return to the area they are in.

I stopped playing because apparently theres a bug if you find this key before given the quest to get the key, the quest breaks and doesn't advance.. I might try Interloper to see if its more stimulating but for now, the game seems like a pretty typical survival crafting time sink.
>>
>>386155935
>cont

I should clarify, the story mode has 2 episodes now of (what it sounds like) a story that will in total contain a lot more. in other words, you're basically experiencing the intro and then left waiting.
>>
>>386156001
stop arguing with that retard, its definitely not worth it
>>
File: 1350845502845114.jpg (45KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1350845502845114.jpg
45KB, 500x375px
Endless Survival mode:
- Remember to take charcoals from your campfires after they burn out so you can draw maps. It's also usually better to draw maps at higher altitudes so you have more view range.

More general tips that apply to all modes:
- Any shelters you find should be turned into stash spots that you can dash back to if shit gets crazy. Try to leave about a day's worth of calories and kindling for emergencies.
- Related to the other point; Trying to carry every single tin, shred of newspaper, or pair of shoes you find with you is going to weigh you down, making you burn more calories and get tired faster as you move. It also increases the risk of you falling through ice the more shit you're carrying.
- Keep your knives and hatchets sharp, because if they break then they're broke, and you can't fix them anymore.
- Water purifying tabs should always be used only when you have the maximum amount of water to clean per tab. That said, they're pretty lightweight and can save time boiling the wolf piss out of your jugs.
>>
>>386155678
K.

If I were to describe Rust or the Forest, I would say they were open world First Person shooters with a focus on crafting and building where you engage in combat with enemeies to survive. Also, it is possible to die of dehydration or starve.

The Long Dark is a game where you scavenge for food and try to find temporary shelter. Crafting is minimal because resources are scarce. You probably will only find 9 bullets durring a play through. Actually using those bullets is a life-or-death gamble. The sole point is not to starve or freeze.

I've played all 3 and The Long Dark has earned more replay value out of me than Rust or Forest.
>>
>>386151329
no stalker is like a shitty ripoff of counter strike and the long dark is like a shitty ripoff of minecraft.
>>
>>386153145
/v/'s idea of a survival game is shooting every animal with guns and being able to build a manion on the middle of nowhere.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.