[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Doesn't the world feel a bit empty?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 521
Thread images: 51

File: 1474909118733.jpg (445KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1474909118733.jpg
445KB, 2000x1000px
Doesn't the world feel a bit empty?
>>
Yes.
>>
It's okay because I also feel empty
>>
is just another open world meme game of the month
>>
>>386138213
No, not really.
>>
This is like the third botw shitpost thread that I've seen today.

sonygros sure are bored.
>>
File: 1435086846275.png (336KB, 859x596px) Image search: [Google]
1435086846275.png
336KB, 859x596px
>>386138770
>>
File: really makes you.png (26KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
really makes you.png
26KB, 160x160px
is empty the new buzz word?

How do developers avoid it?

are any old games empty?
>>
File: 1487947671307.jpg (12KB, 240x250px) Image search: [Google]
1487947671307.jpg
12KB, 240x250px
>All these BotW threads today shitposting

I wonder who could be behind these posts
>>
>>386138213
Yes.
Don't get me wrong, exploring the map was fun and BotW is the best game I've played this year, but I think it could have been better.
>>
Just like real life.
Go outside.

A lot of shit and trees and sometimes you find a small city if you walk long enough in one direction or something interesting.
>>
>>386138213
is there a single video game world that doesnt feel empty?
>>
>>386139402
>but I think it could have been better.

yes, for that reason i fucking love botw. it's sequels will be fucking awesome.
>>
Can't always constantly have things on a map. Need to have some rest time.
Makes everything feel more impacful with breaks inbetween.
Just like RL, theres a lot of nothing outside settlements
>>
>>386139417
>>386139840
Why did they make it just like real life?
>>
>>386139939
Because just like in real life, finding something in the middle of nowhere makes it a lot more valuable and worth it. If you kept finding city after city after city after city irl, you'd soon get bored of cities and they wouldnt feel so interesting.
The sense of scale is very important in any experience and no one seems to realize it.
>>
>>386139939
Immersion
>>
No.

What makes the open world in BotW so good is that everything feels so purposeful. Slants and crests in valleys and rolling hills, weird rock formations, just odd flowers, they're all designed to draw your attention somewhere, towards an enemy camp, or where there's a field miniboss or some rare treasure, or something you might need for a sidequest down the line, and there's a great balance of traveling "cooldown" space and things that have some useful function, so there's really not a lot of dead space, the same way other games will simply put in some big meaningless field to talk about how they're 20 times bigger than Skyrim or whatever.
>>
>>386138213
Maybe, I didn't really feel that way when playing it. I mean, there are empty spaces but I find it pretty comfy running through the grass, cutting some trees, gathering some materials and insects or hunting animals.

There's always something to do.
>>
>>386140151
>Because just like in real life, finding something in the middle of nowhere makes it a lot more valuable and worth it
said no one fucking ever. real life is boring and traveling is even more boring. I bought zelda to play zelda, not some real life simulator
>>
>>386140736
>What makes the open world in BotW so good is that everything feels so purposeful
Except for YAHAHA, finding shrines that clash with the environment, and your weapons which break every minute. So much for a purposeful world.
>>
>>386141460
How is the method by which you expand your inventory, having important locations which are easy to see at a distance, and a deliberative design choice to keep players from cheesing things and staying flexible not purposeful?
>>
>>386141590
>expand inventory

Worthless gameplay loop

>important locations to see at distance

You mean more mountains and plains that just repeat the same shitty feeling?

>keep players from cheesing things and staying flexible

Oh no, it's suddenly not okay to have player choice in a game meant to give player choice. How retarded. Stop eating nintendo's shit.
>>
>>386138213
There's "something" basically everywhere, very little space in completely empty.
Really, only the outer cliffs of Death Mountain stick out as being entirely devoid of content.
Most places have a shrine/korok seed/enemy camp/treasure chest/large enemy/mini game/stable at least nearby.
>>
The problem is the exploration is fun, but there's really nothing to find. Shrines and seeds are both worthless grind once you've killed ganon, and they're the only content in the world.
>>
>>386139402
I personally hope they do a Majoras Mask type deal.

I liked the base game I just think they should do a bit better with the villagers, quests and dungeons.

The game is also fucking begging for a hookshot and honestly, im kinda shocked they took it out.
>>
The more I see Zelda btow being shat on and with the arguments brought the more I'm convinced that it is GOTY
>>
File: 1546521565141.jpg (111KB, 700x913px) Image search: [Google]
1546521565141.jpg
111KB, 700x913px
Will it ever end?
>>
>>386138213
No, you're just a shitter that can't find the secrets and blames it on the game being "empty"
>>
>>386138213
not really. I was actually impressed by the amount of times where in other games it would just by standard mountain tops or plains, in BoTW there were instead little puzzles, changes in topography, and differences like ponds/secrets/a small bunch of trees. It added extra flare to the environment and never made it visually boring
>>
>>386142496
I'm guessing most of the more recent threads are pc mustard rice faggots who are playing the game on emulator
>>
>>386138213
yeah, this game is a 4/10 tops. the virgins that own the switch just memed it higher to help their shit console.

imagine being such a loser you back the worst console there is. it's sad but hilarious.m
>>
>>386138213
Yes
The time you spend between areas is wondering 'what the fucks over here'

This game will age worse the more people play it
Its built to be one of those incredible first experience games, but once you know everything, you're not left with a whole lot.

but so long as the game hasn't been spoiled for you, its a worthy 100+ hours of incredibly chill exploring and adventuring.

Its my second favorite zelda to date
but I never want a zelda game this big again
Take all the mechanics and assets, and use them in something much more focused.
>>
>>386138213
Not really, there are things pretty much everywhere. Though, I personally fielt a bit cheated at times.

Often you see some cool-looking shit in the distance and once you get there it's nothing special.

I can't really help to feel like I need to go to a place that looks interesting because.. You never know. At some point I have to find something cool, right? (And I have found SOME neat stuff, like the dragon wrapped around the mountin).

But in the end the game feels empty due to there being to much similar content rather than a lack of content in itself.
>>
This game is like geocaching

You look for a shrine and all it gives you is a turd stuffed into a container just like geocaching nothing of real value
>>
>>386138909
It's getting embarrassing.
>>
I don't have the game, so lets compare posts on both sides of the argument
Comment in favor: >>386142684
>I found that the game had this this and this
Comment against: >>386142916
>the players are virgin memers losers

Aha
>>
>>386142894
No one plays on emulator, it usually takes months to years from the time shitposting about emulated game starts to the moment when it's actually fully playable (by normal standards, not the dev standards ignoring anything just so they can inflate their emulator compatibility list) and enjoyable instead of just barely running and constantly annoying players with glitches. PCMR fags won't admit that though.
>>
>>386138802
>just another open world meme game of the month

>just another genre defining masterpiece until Nintendo release the next one.
>>
>>386142916
This! It's probably more like a 1/10. How will Nintendo ever recover? Nintenbros BTFO!

#4theplayers
>>
>>386142916
>this is the type of person that unironically thinks his ps4 is superior to a pc
>>
>>386138213
Not really empty but lacking in engaging content.
Guess it's better suited for short-ish 2-3 hour gaming sessions over a long time period than 6 day 10-14 hours each day marathon.
Did it the later way because I had a lot of fun at the beginning, but after I was done with the story and almost half of the shrines it slowly stopped being fun. Friend playing it every evening for a few hours is still in 10/10 mode so I guess I should have paced myself better to not burn out.
>>
>>386143785
>>this is the type of person that pretends that 70% of mustard race aren't toaster jockeys and craptop owners just like STEAM HW survey suggests
>>
>>386138213
every open world game is empty.
>>
File: 1462904813234.png (93KB, 633x900px) Image search: [Google]
1462904813234.png
93KB, 633x900px
heh... yeah... totally empty.... just a flavor of the month meme game..... horizon is GOTY anyway....was this even made by feminists.... maybe i should make a neogaf thread....
>>
hows the emulation going? and how gud does your pc need to be to handle it
15 fps is my minimum
>>
>>386138213
open world is a mistake.
the game seem amazing the first time but after a couple , it's boring. the only thing this game do right is the liberty to climb montain, it's feel good, at least better than shyrim if you know what i mean
>>
>>386142496
Don't worry. They'll start shitposting about Mario Odyssey once the reviews roll in for it.
>>
>>386138213
Yeah.

The first quarter of the game or so is pure magic but once I completed my second Divine Beast and around 1/2 of the Shrines I started getting burned out from the repetitiveness of it all.

It's system and all of that is impressive but I hope they use it on a more focused game in the future. That will be the actual 10/10 GOTY.
>>
>>386145710
The first 180 hours were amazing but after that it got pretty boring. Nintendo are frauds!
>>
>>386142496
>Nintendobros coping mechanism kicks in
it's really sad seeing all those retards who regret buying a console for just one 7/10 game and ease their pain with Metascore paid reviews
>>
>>386147560
>180 hours
>quarter
maybe if you are really dedicated to collecting all the 900 pieces of tree poo, but then the whole game is pure shit
it's fun for few first hours but then it's a boring, repetitive experience, there is literally no reason to ever return to this game
>>
>>386147816
This desu
>>
>>386139034

Open world games are popular now, so /v/ has invented the new catch all criticism to shot on it.

Back when linear games were the dominant, /v/ would suit on them too.
>>
>>386138213

So did NES Zelda but there's a lot of things to do and see, it shouldn't kill you to explor anon but please don't let me stop you from posting this shit
>>
>>386147816
>the whole game is pure shit
You want a little vinegar to go with all that salt?
>>
>>386148484
stop comparing Zelda 1 to BOTW, they're nothing alike
>>
File: zelda-direct-960x483-a6c4a.png.jpg (17KB, 640x322px) Image search: [Google]
zelda-direct-960x483-a6c4a.png.jpg
17KB, 640x322px
>>386138213
did anyone actually use their horse?
it seemed faster and less of a hassle to just teleport to the towers and glide.
>>
>>386149082
Of course not. They're two completely different games seperated by 30 years of technological advanced and game design evolution.

But - being the 30 year anniversary of the series - Nintendo looked to the original NES game to recapture the spirit and philosophy of that particular game.
>>
>>386150148
Always, fast travel defeata the point of the game. It should only be used sparingly. Saddling up your horse and letting it gallop along a trail by itself while you take in the surroundings is the only way to travel.
>>
File: DDk9JnSVYAAtJGH.jpg (205KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
DDk9JnSVYAAtJGH.jpg
205KB, 1280x720px
>>386138213
>Doesn't the world feel a bit empty?
Nope. It feels like a real living breathing world.
>>
>>386150596
Not really, the NPCs are just there.
>>
>>386138213
Play Witcher 3 then, you will remember every quest.
>>
>>386150674
The NPC have a daily schedule, they react if you draw your weapon or behave aggressively, they run from the rain and take shelter, they get scared if the see a monster. Shit post harder.
>>
>>386138213
Yes, but what does that have to do with Zelda?
>>
>>386150970
NPCs repeating the same shit over and over does not make them alive.
>>
>>386150596
>living breathing world
>50% of the screen covered in grass
>>
>>386151052
NPCs are not what makes the world feel alive either. Shit post harder.
>>386151053
Feel free to point out a more 'ALIVE' world than BotW.
>>
>>386151391
The Witcher 3
>>
>>386151391

GTAIV
>>
File: 16d.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
16d.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>386142917
>but once you know everything, you're not left with a whole lot.
>once you've completed the game there's not much to do

Oh god forbid
>>
>>386151427
>>386151463
Nope. Have you either of you even played BotW?
>>
>>386151427
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Try again dumbfuck
>>
Even just walking around listening to pedestrians talk in GTA is a more engaging experience than BoTW
>>
>>386151903

>not an argument

I don't know why people bother trying to discuss BotW anymore. It's just nintendo shills who think the game is 11/10 throwing their dung at anyone who has a different opinion. Not surprising since the game has nothing else worth talking about besides Link's puss..
>>
>>386138213
A little, but Ganon did kind of fuck everything up so I wasn't expecting anything less.
>>
>actually wanting to "play" a "game"
>>
>>386151427
Oh come on. The Witcher 3 is pretty amazing but it completely fails here.
The NPCs don't even have beds that they go home to. In Breath of the Wild practically every NPC has their own bed or place where they sleep. But in the Witcher we're just meant to be fine the idea of them wandering off into areas that we the player can't even access. And then fill in the gaps using our imagination.

And that's fine, really. I don't demand that every NPC in every game has to have a home or bed. But Breath of the Wild that does have that, does feel more alive as a result.
The Witcher basically has countless of "dummy" NPCs more there to decorate the world than actually be part of it.
>>
>>386152052
I love the game and I refuse to try and have a serious discussion on here about it because of the amount of toxicity its very existence has produced.
>>
File: 1473612662896.png (973KB, 1301x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473612662896.png
973KB, 1301x1080px
>>386151690
>>386151903
>>386152150
I've never even played The Witcher 3.
>>
>>386152150

Mainly because Witcher 3's ambitions are higher. Coordinating the actions and daily cycle of a city of people with probably 10-20 unique NPCs with a smorgasborg of random NPCs, versus that of a small village. Even so, it's not like the NPCs in W3 do nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzzPB6PRsE
>>
>>386152460
>Mainly because Witcher 3's ambitions are higher.
That's arguable. I mean I fully recognize that it has its perks. But I'd still argue that it doesn't feel as "full" as something like Breath of the Wild or some other games. Because most of its NPCs are still pretty much just window dressing than legitimate parts of the world.

It's personally something I value more than a surplus of details for characters that appear to have no other place in the world. It feels more shallow to me even if they were very ambitious with their window dressing.
Of course, these NPCs aren't the draw of the game and thus shouldn't be the focus either. So it's largely a complete non-issue. But I still wouldn't claim it makes the game more alive than a game where NPCs are actually part of the world.
>>
>>386151690

I have and I enjoy it, I just wish there was more variety to activities rather than shrines and seeds making up a disproportionate amount of the content.
>>
>>386153380

They also run for cover from rain and comment on the weather and react when you draw your weapon. They're also voiced, alot of unique NPC interactions come from quests, and alot of those interactions have alot of time spent on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlFAPzRWlEc

If you're talking about general NPCs, BotW doesn't much fill the bill either. If you want to talk about memorable NPCs out in the world, I guarantee most people will say something along the lines of Fish loli, psycho flower girl, tree upgrade guy, that builder who wants a gerudo wife, and Sidon. There's still not a lot and the NPCs that inhabit the rest of the game's sidequests and villages aren't much more memorable than any of the sidequests in W3. At least the quests in W3 are voiced for one and have different endings and dialogues. BotW falls massively short of the pure effort put in, on the NPC front. That, to me, is what made W3 quests much more memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjWcWr4Hwj4

Hell, in the quest where you can make Roach talk, you can talk to the small wildlife too. There's so many tiny details in the quests that are in W3. Much more than BotW.
>>
>>386154637
My point is basically that even though they're far more detailed, I really do not feel that they're as complete.

And that's why I said that the point was arguable. Because that level of details can most certainly be interpreted as ambition. And I wouldn't say that anyone is wrong for thinking that.
But no matter how detailed they may be, they feel less complete and less integrated into the world itself. And that's why I have a hard time taking it as more ambitious. Details in the end are just details if the complete picture isn't as full.

I won't even deny that Breath of the Wild is full of quite barebones NPCs. And that The Witcher 3 has far more detailed NPCs than most games. But even with the many details there are just so many NPCs that serve no function than to basically just be decorative assets for the environment. Even Skyrim beats it on occasion and that game is ridiculously stiff, ugly, and lacking in detail or overall quality.
>>
>>386138440
fpbp
They haven't made a better 3D Zelda than OOT, just slightly better mechanics here and there that they soon forget about.
I've lost faith in the series. It's like they don't even strive to make a better game than the last.
>>
You know you fucked up when even motherfucking Wind waker feels more dense than this.
>>
>>386143327
it defined nothing
>>
>>386156059
It's the new high bench mark for open world design and every open world game from now on will be measured against it.

I suppose you think that's wrong too.
>>
The game needed more variety in what you actually do. the overuse of shrines really ruined any chance for the game to shine.
>>
>>386138213
The world has been fucked for 100 years. Considering that, it's pretty lively.
>>
>>386156457

Can't wait for devs to think people want aimless exploration, 5 good sidequests out of ~80, waifu baiting, as many collectables/seeds as they can possibly stuff in the world, and no actual main story quest progression. The future of video gaming is looking bright.
>>
>>386143327
Name one fucking thing they did that was unique.
>>
>>386157293
Korok seeds
>>
>>386157293
>Name one fucking thing they did that was unique
Here we go again.

In-denial haters will jump through an assault course of mental gymnastic hoops to convince themselves of any false truth rather than just admit the simple reality than Nintendo just made another great game.

>B-but I can set fire to grass in MGSV!
>I can climb in Minecraft!
>GTAV has rain!

You'll stack up every feature of every open world game ever released to try and desperately hold a candle to BotW - under the blind delusion that the game's critical appraise is due to one defining aspect.

In truth, it's the design philosophy behind BotW which is it's most important characteristic. A foundation of player agency and complete freedom, married with a myriad of seamlessly interconnected systems of environmental interaction and gameplay reciprocation. A world where the exhilaration of exploration is paramount and every discovery is a personal one. An impressive amount of confidence from a developer in their product to simply let a player run wild and make their own gaming experience as they see fit. Nintendo said "go ahead, do what you want, we don't care" and meant it in the best way possible.

BotW's legacy is assured.
>>
>>386159157
You sound like one of those paid reviewers.
>>
>>386138213
Yes, but that's good. I like huge empty worlds in open world games. Even if it's something useless to find, I'd rather it be in a huge empty world than a small cramped one.
>>
File: todd.jpg (47KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
todd.jpg
47KB, 1280x720px
>>386141048
>comfy
>>
>>386138213
What did you expect OP? Did you think there would be hentai sluts under every rock every 5ft?
>>
>>386161278
I don't see why not.
>>
File: 1495132679796.png (196KB, 550x527px) Image search: [Google]
1495132679796.png
196KB, 550x527px
>>386142649
>shitter
>>
>>386142496
no, the VGAs will only exacerbate it. Mario Odyssey's/Xenoblade 2's release will dilute the shitposting though
>>
>>386138213
Yeah, it would've been better off having a metroidvania world or just seamlessly connected one rather than open world. It's just got shit haphazardly flung into it, because no one has enough time to meticulously craft a world that big. Games as early as Oblivion had that problem and every open world game today does too. The high praise is just excessive Zelda fanboyism. Keep in mind we are talking the same crowds that praised Skyward Sword as 9 or above. So, it's no surprise that they overlook every valid criticism.
>>
File: 1499455515000.jpg (59KB, 699x631px) Image search: [Google]
1499455515000.jpg
59KB, 699x631px
>>386142649
>can't find secrets
Anon, this isn't a hard game. It's Zelda. The secrets are literally shown to you. That's a terribly salty "criticism" you've concocted there.
>>
File: 1407263726230.jpg (132KB, 1083x1201px) Image search: [Google]
1407263726230.jpg
132KB, 1083x1201px
>>386138213
THIS WAS THE POST THAT KILLED ME 100 YEARS AGO
>>
>>386138213
BoTW's open world definitely isn't empty. I wouldn't say it's super fun or that the game is amazing, but it's open world is the best I've ever seen. Every area is pretty packed with stuff to do and see.
>>
>>386163790
you should play xenoblade X
>>
No it's the best game of all time and you don't just play you, you experience it!

You are constantly tripping over things to do in this massive world lush with things like challenging korok puzzles that makes you really think, vibrant NPCs struggling in this post-apocalyptic world for survival, spectacularly crafted trees that you can cut down,and intimidating bokoblins that you can attack from any angle.

I mean wow how you can not consider it the best game of all time its just so lush with things to trip over
>>
>>386159157
> A foundation of player agency and complete freedom, married with a myriad of seamlessly interconnected systems of environmental interaction and gameplay reciprocation. A world where the exhilaration of exploration is paramount and every discovery is a personal one.
holy fucking buzzwords
>>
File: derp.png (2MB, 1347x1096px) Image search: [Google]
derp.png
2MB, 1347x1096px
>>386138213
no
>>
The game is 7/10 and if people could just accept a game is good without overstating generic shit and praising it as the second coming of christ then there wouldnt be any discussion.

It's fine, but it's not that fantastic. But there's a bunch of weirdos who speak about mundane shit like fighting some bokoblin thats attacking an NPC like it's some groundbreaking thing never before seen in games
>>
>go camping

Why the fuck are there so many fucking boring trees god i can walk for 30 seconds and no see anything unique it's just all the same plants
>>
BotW will forever reveal who is a fucking pleb retard teenaged faggot and who is a master patrician who enjoys the good things in life, much like other classics such as Shadow of the Colossus. If you can't appreciate it you are indeed a fucking moron and need to get back to the latest meme multiplayer game where you belong.
>>
>>386164891
>PCf@s with toasters too weak to emulate BoTW stuck commenting on Let's Plays instead of their own experiences.
Sad.
>>
>>386151391
Fable games
Yakuza games
Shenmue games
Morrowind
Oblivion
GTA5
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Ocarina of Time
South Park Stick of Truth

i can keep going if you like
>>
>>386138213
Yup
The seeds or chests are just not thrilling enough to scavenge an empty world for
Game is roughly 3 times bigger than it should have been, if you remove the padded shit content.
Still the best 3d zelda to date - it doesn't beat LoZ1 though.

The truth is all previous 3d zelda titles were designed like shit because of the massive handholding, negative difficulty, complete linearity, and mashing, making for a horrible combination. Of course nostalgia will get in the way of this statement, and children have defined themselves with games such as OOT, so they could never admit it.
>>
>>386164775
>map plastered with literal shit and treasure chests containing weapons that will break in 5 minutes.
exploration is supposed to be rewarding. the only thing mildly rewarding is finding giant neon orange vaults so you can enter the copy paste themed puzzle of which there are maybe 10 decent ones.
>>
>>386164746
>anon makes an intelligent argument using English.
>buzzwords

Not him but fucking kys.
>>
>>386159157
>this copypasta still trying to feed off the fallacy of "this game has several elements from other games that they dont all share" which can be applied to any game on the market
>>
File: 1497376731864.jpg (37KB, 320x319px) Image search: [Google]
1497376731864.jpg
37KB, 320x319px
>botw still causing this much ass pain for being the goty
>>
>>386165154
Still waiting on you to name even one.
>>
>>386159157
>go ahead do what you want we dont care
>except collect all korok seeds, fuck you for wanting to be completionist heres a pile of shit
>except get both max hearts and stamina fuck you play the game they way we want you to
>>
>>386165348
It won't win goty though, when was the last time a handheld game won goty?
>>
>>386165279
>In truth, it's the design philosophy behind GTA which is it's most important characteristic. A foundation of player agency and complete freedom, married with a myriad of seamlessly interconnected systems of environmental interaction and gameplay reciprocation. A world where the exhilaration of exploration is paramount and every discovery is a personal one. An impressive amount of confidence from a developer in their product to simply let a player run wild and make their own gaming experience as they see fit. ROCKSTAR said "go ahead, do what you want, we don't care" and meant it in the best way possible.
literally meaningless buzzwords you absolute faggot.
>>
>>386165354
They have more than grass and yahaha's so you need to do some work if you're going to convince anyone botw is anything but a dead, barren wasteland
>>
>>386165498
Top kek GTA isn't like at all though is it you silly cunt?
>>
Tbh if you retards love being Todd Howard'd you should play Skyrim or Horizon. Same open world memes, but different shit to do.
>>
>>386165528
>you need to do some work if you're going to convince anyone botw is anything but a dead, barren wasteland
Seriously haven't played the game you fucking deluded shitposting dick l.
>>
>>386165663
okay nintenfriend, care to tell specifically which one doesn't fit every open world game ever made. don't just use GTA. witcher, elder scrolls, everything ubisoft has made in the last 10 years or so.
>>
>>386165231
You are trying too hard to come up with problems.
>>
>>386166225
you're not trying hard enough to counter my argument. which is why no one takes botw defenders seriously.
>>
>be OP
>collecting everything like a walking vacuum of space
>no doubt cheesing through enemies with explosive and ice arrows
>does the world feel a bit empty to anyone else?

You guys have just forgotten how to play games so you need others to reach you.
>>
>>386164775
finding all the treasures with garbage inside and solving the same three korok "puzzles" over and over again sure sounds like fun.
t. played the game for a good 100 hours
>>
>>386166505
>collecting everything like a walking vacuum of space
but i thought that was what you guys called content? see >>386164775
>>
>>386166101
Not him but he quite clearly makes a point of saying botw's acclaim isn't because of one simple thing. It's everything combined. There is NO open world game on any system which is doing what BotW is doing.

>b-but I can climb in Just Cause.

Absolute fucking retardation. It's not the 'climbing' which is important, it's the consequences of what the climbing means for the game's design. Most devs would shit their pants at offering that amount of freedom out of fear the player would break the game.
>N-no, you can climb HERE and only HERE. In this little fenced-off area where can predict exactly what you will do.

BotW is on a whole different level of design sophistication.
>>
>>386165831
>you havent played it
People keep posting this in place of arguments so much im starting to believe this is an actual joke
>>
>>386167137
>could fly in gta
>can't fly in botw because the devs would shit their pants at offering that amount of freedom out of fear the player would break the game
climbing is a boring chore and usually your only reward for climbing a massive mountain is lifting up a rock for a quick yahahaha. also because of the entire world designed around the climbing mechanic horses are fucking useless. add climbing being a forced means of travel with the mechanic of rain making it so you can't fucking climb anything and you have a clash of systems that makes zero fucking sense. maybe the game is just 3sophisticated5me
>>
>>386167137
>consequences of what the climbing means for the game's design
Why do you fucking weirdos speak with such gravitas? It doesnt mean anything for the design, it just means you fucking climb

holy fucking god you people are just robots spouting meaningless nonsense
>>
>>386167521
>Why do you fucking weirdos speak with such gravitas
its they mask the fact that they have no actual argument. if he just said "but you can climb shit" even he would see how retarded of a defense it is for the entire game being bland. i honestly hope zelda pulls an ac1 to ac2 type move and this was basically the beggining of a new formula and nintendo just wanted proof of concept that the new formula can be successful before really investing into it and fleshing out the details that can make the game great.
>>
>>386167521

You don't get it man. Climbing leads to paragliding, which leads to more climbing. The interconnectedness of these game mechanics is unheard of in open world games and quite frankly makes me glad to be a nintendo consumer, because nintendo respects my intelligence as a gamer and tells me "hey, you can climb that" and immediately my mind bursts with all the possible ways to go from A to B that no other, I repeat no other open world game has ever done before. Never ever. Ever never.
>>
>>386167478
>you have a clash of systems that makes zero fucking sense
Nintendo designed a world where the weather, the climate and the environment are intricately connected, informing the player's choices and, in turn, influencing how the player interacts with the world -making every other open world game seem like simplistic kiddie-tier coding by comparison.

Yeah too right it's over your head you stupid fuck.

By the way, the in-game laws of physics are so solid that players have fashioned flying machines out of junk lying around.
>>
File: whoa mama intensifies.jpg (20KB, 549x640px) Image search: [Google]
whoa mama intensifies.jpg
20KB, 549x640px
>>386142340
>Freeze a box/crate/log in time
>Whack it a bunch of times
>Hookshot into it and resume time
>Sore through the skies
I NEED THIS!
>>
>>386167521
>It doesnt mean anything for the design, it just means you fucking climb
You don't get it, even though I explained perfectly well why most other devs would baulk at the idea of giving the player that level of freedom.
>>
>>386168061
>sore through the skies
>sore through
>sore
>>
I think the fact that people praise this game for doing things that NO GAME has EVER DONE before EVER just goes to show how nintendo fans play exclusively nintendo games. Especially considering how half baked a lot of the core mechanics are.
>>
>>386168213
Well I mean in all likelihood you'd get hurt when you hit the ground, thus you'd be sore in the skies.
>>
>>386168307

See>>386159157
Cry more.
>>
>>386167927
>when it rains in gta your car has less traction when driving
WOW rockstar has designed a world with these in depth, crazy consequential systems of travel, environment, and climate are intricately connected, influencing the player's choice and in turn how the player interacts with the world.

i'm 95% sure every botw defender is merely pretending but i will give them credit that they are the best shitposters around and i can't stop responding.
>>
>>386138213
It's ok for a handheld game
>>
>>386168459
remembering this post for future threads
>>
>>386142340
nobody would use the new climbing mechanic if that was the case, and it would then negate one of the main purposes of the stamina bar. Still, terrible loss
>>
>>386167927
>Nintendo designed a world where the weather, the climate and the environment are intricately connected, informing the player's choices and, in turn, influencing how the player interacts with the world -making every other open world game seem like simplistic kiddie-tier coding by comparison.
>if it rains you have sit and wait before you can climb
>if its lightning unequip your metal items
INNOVATION
GROUNDBREAKING
>>
>>386168615
you sound mad
>>
>5 months later
>sony niggers are still this assblasted
Hillarious.
>>
>>386138213
It's the least empty open world game I have encountered. Any game of that genre is going to feel empty in some parts.
>>
>>386168072

Think it's because they forgot to create a main story that was actually good. So they were like, fuck it, let's give the player everything at the start.

The system BotW uses is an indication of laziness, more than intentional design. If it was intentional design, then BotW is literally just following indie game tier design notes which is basically to stretch out and exploit as much as their basic content will allow to the extreme. That's what survival games on PC do, that's what minecraft did. Autism-powered games that let you do what you want, because they had no resources to do anything else.
>>
>>386168849
nah
>>
>>386168072
>you dont get it
>i (didnt) explain it
>>
File: 1498955241657.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
1498955241657.webm
3MB, 854x480px
>>386168412
>>386168615
Cry some more. Your salty tears sustain me.
>>
File: 1493473854724.png (335KB, 748x710px) Image search: [Google]
1493473854724.png
335KB, 748x710px
>>
>>386159157
>married with a myriad of seamlessly interconnected systems of environmental interaction and gameplay reciprocation
I wouldn't call systems "seamlessly interconnected" when something like cooking is so poorly done that one fruit completely breaks all difficulty in the game
>A world where the exhilaration of exploration is paramount and every discovery is a personal one.
the only thing on the static heightmap that is the world are shrines, towns, stables, and the same ten copy pasted "puzzles" that give you seeds. even riddler trophy puzzles did better than the fucking seeds.
>An impressive amount of confidence from a developer in their product to simply let a player run wild and make their own gaming experience as they see fit. Nintendo said "go ahead, do what you want, we don't care" and meant it in the best way possible.
And the reality of that statement is that the game is basically the same from hour one to hour one hundred. The world map has nothing except a dungeon in every corner and shrines/koroks peppered about as filler, and no matter where you go you'll be fighting the same mob trash because there's only three common enemy types.
>>
>>386168712
you sound like you need an actual argument
>>
>>386168849
>The system BotW uses is an indication of laziness, more than intentional design.
It's hilarious how little you kiddies actually know or understand about game design. BotW must have ludicrously complicated to code and I seriously doubt many devs will try and copy it. At best, they'll half-ass the climbing mechanic and think they've done well.
>>
>>386168997
All you did was point to stuff the game does and call it shit without any sort of justification, perhaps you should put up an argument for your point first?
>>
>>386168307
Sure, except no one actually thinks that. Why not directly argue with someone rather than create the opposing argument yourself?
>>
>>386138213
Yes. It's a nice, wide open world but it lacks depth. There are too few actual locations. Aside from the major ones like the castle, Kakariko Village, and the four other towns it all blends together. You get a lot of quantity out of the shrines but very little quality. I would have much preferred if there were just 25% of the shrines but they were bigger and more unique. In the end they feel less like locations and more like collectibles, since they share the same aesthetic and music.
>>
>>386168615

You forgot the mindbending mental acuity needed to equip cold resistance gear, or heat resistance gear, or eat cold resistance food or heat resistance food. Each step is like playing 4D chess.
>>
>>386168919
>fire arrow 15 feet to the left of target
>it instakills
glad to see even more proof that the people who say this zelda is difficult and not more kiddy combat are wrong
>>
>>386169130
All you did was point to stuff the game does and call it groundbreaking without any sort of justification
>>
>>386168905
I did explain it. Twice. You fucking retard.
>>
>>386169203
again, it's the freedom combined with how each of the mechanics are combined
>>
>>386138213
There are a lot of things hidden everywhere, but it's always ALWAYS the SAME FUCKING things you'll find, which make exploration only satisfaying at first and become tedious really fast. It's probably due to hardware limitations of the switch, since it barely runs the game as it is now, adding variety and actual things to see would be impossible
>>
File: FOREVER_ASSBLASTED.jpg (3MB, 1000x5118px) Image search: [Google]
FOREVER_ASSBLASTED.jpg
3MB, 1000x5118px
>>386168989
Don't stop belieeeeeeeving! Hold on to the feeeeeeeeling!
>>
>>386169197
>BotW shitposters literally confirmed for never actually playing the game
It all makes sense now. Sonybros blown the fuck out. Go back to your cinematic experiences, cumguzzlers.
>>
>>386169114
have you ever even played an assassins creed game ever? if we're talking about climbing that games mechanics are leaps and bounds ahead of botw.
>>
>>386169114

>At best, they'll half-ass the climbing mechanic

Why would it be hard. Just make every surface climbable. It's literally a switch, how do you think they made the shrine surfaces unclimbable. The game's textures are so cartooney that they could get away with making everything climbable. Compare to other realistic games which have to make it make sense, as opposed to BotW's lazy design. Throw in a few protrusions for stamina recovery and call it a day.
>>
>>386169392
Holy shit, saved for future bait usage, thank you anon.
>>
>>386169189
>nintendo gets lebron to design the mechanics of the sequel
fuckkkkkkkkk
>>
>>386169502
(You)
>>
>>386169220
No you really didn't lol. I know you THINK you explained it, but you didn't.

>>386169284
I think this fella summed up the proper response to this comment well >>386167874

>climb
>paraglide down
>climb again
>so much freedom and combination!
>>
>>386169197
You're so fucking dumb you don't even realised what happened.

The player equiped a metal weapon to attract a lightenig strike and then threw it the enemy at the last second so that the lightening struck it instead.

Weather/Climate/Environment blended together with tangible real-world consequences which the player can expoilt.

Get fucked.
>>
>>386169620
he's right though
>but you can't scale flat walls at 90 degrees or more which clearly means the climbing is better in botw
>>
>>386169392

This image has already been debunked, you can dress up your fetch quests however you want, doesn't change the overall lack of effective reward, story, and satisfaction from doing them. Or is collecting 10 of X item an interesting quest design.
>>
>>386169620
>if incline > 20 degrees then enter climbing animation and start reducing stamina
>if incline >95 degrees then exit climbing animation
revolutionary work. nintendo does it again.
>>
>>386169870
>>386169956
Name me 1(ONE) game where you can climb anything. I'll wait, drones.
>>
>>386169762
Yes those are the mechanics of the game, that doesn't mean it isn't carried out in an innovative manner tho.
>>
>>386170060
>cant climb the pillars outside the hyrule castle
checkm8
>>
>>386169762
>I think this fella summed up the proper response to this comment well

with a strawman?
>>
>>386169531
>Why would it be hard. Just make every surface climbable.
I'll say it again, for the 3rd time - it's not the 'climbing' that's important. Nobody is saying "golly gee wiz, I can climb stuff!"

It's what the climbing means in terms of game design. Go ahead, code a game where the player has complete freedom to go anywhere and can climb any surface and then realise how utterly fucked you are when it comes to designing the rest of the game in a meaningful way that doesn't come crashing down around your feet. The amount of play testing Nintendo must have done is probably insane.
>>
>>386170151
You can't climb the mountains on the far side of the map either.
>>
>>386170060
see
>>386165294
What is with BOTW faggots and "NAME WUN GAEM DAT HAS THIS SPECIFIC THING IN BOTW HA CHECKMATE"

You can pull that shit with any fucking game.

You all make the fallacy of assuming "climbing anywhere" is inherently good. Why is that good?

But to answer you, Asscreed games let you climb anywhere in the game world
>>
>>386170240
>realise how utterly fucked you are when it comes to designing the rest of the game in a meaningful way that doesn't come crashing down around your feet.
i wish nintendo would have realized it before creating the mechanic the way they did. is that the point of this troll? people are supposed to come to the understanding that being able to climb everything is what ruined the game?
>>
>>386169910
>This image has already been debunked
How exactly? All content doesn't count because you don't want it to? Nice argument.

BotW has more content than any other Zelda. I'm not saying that the game is better or worse than any other Zelda - that's a matter of personal taste. But trying to pretend the game has no content is just a fuckoling lie.
>>
>>386170369
to prevent players from gliding straight to ganon
>b-but muh freedom! I can climb anywhere and approach how I like!!
>>
File: 1473106305622.jpg (43KB, 530x464px) Image search: [Google]
1473106305622.jpg
43KB, 530x464px
>>386142496
>>386145690
>Critique = shitposting
>>
>>386170240
YOU

STILL

HAVE

NOT

EXPLAINED

THIS

"GAME DESIGN"
>>
>>386170537
I'm talking about the mountain near gerudo, I could put a marker on the map but the game won't actually let me climb it.
>>
>>386159157
high-school-level writing
>>
>>386170060

There aren't any games that do that because those games have self-respect and want to root their characters in reality and not make them steel fingered supertwinks.

>>386170240

What design? If a player can get anywhere with enough stamina, my first thought as a dev would be "well nice I can put literally anything anywhere and it'd be fine because I don't have to put any thought into having interesting dungeon connections or item progression or anything else." I can just PUT things anywhere and it'll be viable content no matter where the player is in the game. That's shitty and boring content, it's the reason most people's criticisms about the game is that it falls off after the first 10-20 hours.

Indie games let you climb everywhere because that's how they avoid having to structure their game. BotW is no different. There's nothing commendable about it, you can say that it was an intentional design but there's nothing innovative, special, or good about it. If BotW was a true survival simulator with actual recipes, building, better combat then the design would be valid, but it doesn't have any of those things. It excels in nothing besides how many collectibles you can climb to.
>>
>>386170537
>end game
>bored
>always pissed i couldn't climb the pilllars outside of the castle
>decide to ravioli up it while watching tv and waiting for it to recharge
>reach the top
>nothing there ofc
>guess it's time to finally go to the castle then and finish this game
>ravioli and glide to a door that i see at the top of the castle
>upon entering the arches cutscene is triggered
>proceed to the underwhelming ganon fight
>credits roll
>never get the will to go back and do hyrule castle, the one part of the game that people say is done well.

did i fuck up?
>>
>>386170151
They're made of the same Sheikah material which makes up the shrines and the devine beasts. It's a design choice. Do you honestly think Nintendo couldn't let you climb them because of coding or hardware issues or someshit?

By the way, you CAN climb them with some thought, on top there is an unlit fire for you so Nintendo obviously knew people would do it.
>>
>>386170519

>All content doesn't count because you don't want it to?
>all this worthless content counts because I say so

Back at you.

>free a corrupted dragon on a mountain
>use a bow and arrow to shoot it while paragliding
>things you've done the entire fucking game

I'll never not be mad that the reward was a stupid ass fucking shrine of blessing.
>>
>>386170754
>most people's criticisms about the game is that it falls off after the first 10-20 hours.
Who are those "most people"? You and 5 other very vocal autistis on /v/?
>>
>>386167137
assassin's creed, a franchise probably older than you, did "woah dude you can climb ANYTHING" aeons ago
>>
>>386167927
>this fucking diction
you've seriously got to be joking
if this isn't bait i'm going to question my sanity
>>
>>386170961

>I-I don't hear it outside my bubble

Maybe just leave /v/ if you want a safe space, baby.
>>
>>386170556
>/v/
>critique
It's just shitposting all the way down.
>>
>>386170970
>assassin's creed, a franchise did woah dude you can climb ANYTHING
No it did not. Stop lying on the internet.
>>
>>386171096
>Maybe just leave /v/ if you want a safe space, baby.
Oh the irony. You're the one who is throwing a shitfit because majority of people are enjoying something you don't.
>>
>>386171080
Nice argument you there faggot. English too hard for you?
>>
>>386170873
i could probably go into unity and design a "game" with a map that lets you climb anything with absolutely 0 experience. this impresses no one but nintenfriends. as >>386170754 said it's more of a crutch in terms of design than something crafted with actual thought put into it.
>>
>>386170970
You can only climb predetermined buildings in asscreed unlike BotW where you can climb literally anything.
>>
>>386171123

It did it better than BotW, that's for sure.What with the actual animations, actual flow, actual usage of it in combat situations. Not like botw where you go near a wall and start humping it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg_Dx8xWXis
>>
>>386169801
>lightning gives off a few warning sparks on something before it hits it
>>
>>386171405
No you fucking can't, please tell me what's on top of that mountain near Gerudo.
>>
>>386171412
Your bait was good before, why did you have to ruin it by being so obvious?
>>
>>386171250
nah, i just know how to write better than a fucking 5 year old so i don't feel the need to vomit a thesaurus in order to dress up an empty argument, faggot
>>
>>386171405
but literally everything is predetermined to be climbable with zero reasson. there's no outcroppings for a grip? doesn't matter lol link has hands that rival a fucking gecko.
>>
>>386171207

>discussion is shitfitting

Bro I'm perfectly fine. Think you might need to take some meds though because a video game is being criticized on /v/. Never happened before in your short time here I bet.
>>
Yeah and it's even more apparent once they added that path thing to the map. I did the last divine beast today (camel for me) and unlocked the 2 bottom bits of the map. Turned on the path and I've barely covered any of it.
>>
>>386171553
Nigga, you can't even capitalize your shit, you dumb faggot.
>>
>>386139034
Shadow of the Colossus
>>
>>386171618
And? Are you complaining about muh graphics now?
>>
>>386140736
It will just be another korok seed
>>
>>386171752
you're beyond retarded m8.
>>
>>386171752

Graphics is the only reason BotW gets away with it. Can you imagine if Ezio could just latch on to any building and just slowly shuffle upwards? Worse yet, launch himself up like a cannon despite zero handholds or footholds? It would look like shit in a modern environment.
>>
>>386171830
Nice argument.
>>
File: 2690966-5751415728-Snape.gif (491KB, 500x182px) Image search: [Google]
2690966-5751415728-Snape.gif
491KB, 500x182px
So we're now rapidly approaching 6(SIX) months and /v/ is still in the "BotW didn't do anything that other games didn't" stage of denial.
>>
>>386171895
>superficial animations are more important than gameplay
Sony tards, ladies and gentleman.
>>
>>386171895

Think you missed the point of what was being said but ok.
>>
>>386171752
>using the lack of power in the latest released home console as a defense of it's lackluster mechanics that have been done better 12 years ago on 2/3 generations old hardware
this is why i come in nintendo threads.
>>
>>386171912
>deflect criticism using an irrelevant argument
>get called out
>LOL NOT AN ARGUMENT
nice
>>
>>386172278
>being able to climb anything was a good design choice and somehow revolutionary and more difficult to code than what he had shown in that video.
really didn't make me think at all
>>
>>386168072
>i explained it perfectly well
>no you didn't you sound like a high-schooler on an ego trip
>SHUT UP I EXPLAINED IT PERFECTLY WELL
right
>>
>>386172479
Yeah, and despite the tech, Nintendo still managed to code a game so sophisticated in design that it makes other open world games seem kiddie-tier by comparison. How can you even live?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGWtyJAkO0
>>
>>386138213
>Takes place during medieval time period
>expects it to be a busy ass city like grand theft auto

These arguments you guys use to shut on the glory of botw are pathetic!

Besides, the games is filled with tons ruins which means there was a time period where hyrule was a very busy place,but after the calamity happened most of those people and settlements were killed off.

It would have been awesome if we got to see how prosperous hyrule was during its golden age, but the game takes place after a tragic event of a grand scale so it makes sense as to why lots of it is empty.

Use your fucking heads to at least think of an actual Eason to hate on the game you Fuck heads
>>
>>386172980
Uhhh...you're not allowed to post this video. Please delete it immediately.
>>
>>386172689

The player actually has to look for footholds too or trees with branches leading in the right direction too. As you play the game more, you can spot these much more easily and eventually you can move through the forest and climb 3x quicker than you did when you started the game. That's what climbing progression is.

In BotW, you upgrade your stamina bar and you get climbing gear that passively helps you do the same thing you've always been doing and all Nintendo had to do was turn a Climbable = 0 to Climbable = 1. And people praise them for it, it's unreal.
>>
>>386170060
minecraft
>>
>>386172842
I have it now explained it 3 times. You just cannot handle it.

http://www.gamesradar.com/were-all-talking-about-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-developers-explain-how-its-shaping-the-future-of-games/

>noooooooooo! All those rival developers heaping praise on the game doesn't mean anything!
>>
>>386170060
>>386173140
congrats, nintendo is appealing to the minecraft audience
>>
>>386151595
Yes, I after I beat Previous Zelda titles i felt like replaying them even after 100% them, with BoTW i don't ever want to replay it instead i just want to continue playing my same file it's too big.
>>
>>386170240
>Nobody is saying "golly gee wiz, I can climb stuff!"
except you and half the posts in this thread
>>
Holy shit, this is like the 3rd or 4th assblasted thread I've seen about BotW today.

Can't you fucking niggers just admit Nintendo made one of the best games of all time and move on with your lives? Jesus.
>>
>>386173431
Way to ignore the rest of my post. Brilliant.
>>
>>386173190
>explain-how-its-shaping-the-future-of-games/
>nintenfriends are so delusional that it might actually infect devs minds and they'll think people want archaic mechanics they could have made in college applied in their games
jesus christ how horrifying
>>
>>386138213
Not really. Some Shrines were really good and that kept me exploring every nook and cranny, which was fun.
Like half the shrines were combat shrines though.
If they made all the shrines small dungeons with fun random toys in it then it could have been one of the best games ever. They could easily cut like half the shrines to make it doable. It also wouldn't hurt to have decent main story dungeons either.
>>
>>386173190

I'm glad that indie game mechanics are making a comeback after their dominance in my favorite survival games on PC.

>>386173867

Bright side is that most of the devs were nobodies or devs that could do things much better.
>>
>>386171474
yes because its fair
>>
>>386173867
Yes, paid reviews, only got 10/10 because it's Zelda, fake scarcity and now Nintendo fans are behind the outpouring of awe and adulation from rival devs. Which crazy conspiracy will the ass stung deniers come up with next?
>>
>>386173907
>Like half the shrines were combat shrines though.
There are only 20 combat shrines in the game, how the fuck is that a half?
>>
>>386174195
>There are only 20 combat shrines in the game, how the fuck is that a half?
Is that it? I could have swore every other shrine was a fucking combat shrine.
Maybe I'm conflating them with the stupid shrines that literally just give you the orb after completing a shrine quest.
>>
File: v_inThe90s-1-1.jpg (155KB, 1000x570px) Image search: [Google]
v_inThe90s-1-1.jpg
155KB, 1000x570px
>>386174086
>Bright side is that most of the devs were nobodies or devs that could do things much better.
Top kek.

Benjamin Plich was the lead designer on Assassin's Creed: Unity and For Honor, and is currently employed as lead game designer at Montreal's Reflector Entertainment.
>Breath of the Wild showed something most designers already know, but which is hard to achieve... [these games are] evolving from classic open worlds to an open-game model - open progression following each player's intrinsic motivations, adaptive challenge curve and economy, open narrative structures, and so on.
Damien Monnier served as senior designer on The Witcher 3 at CD Projekt RED
>Breath of the Wild has managed to bring classic open world mechanics together while not relying on them to guide the player through its world. You go and explore it because you wonder what's out there, not because a loot icon tells you to.
>Nintendo have raised the bar when it comes to world crafting and this sense of total immersion I get when I play it. While its world includes classic open-world activities, collectibles and loot-filled mobs, it definitely doesn't feel overloaded and allows the focus be on the exploration. You want to explore this land whether or not you are on a quest, or being tasked to collect/gather something. You know, If you were to remove all NPCs, quests and mobs, I would still take pleasure in exploring that beautiful world.

Tommy François, Ubisoft's franchise director.
>For every creatives, it's a lesson. The game [BotW] seems to tell us : put yourself in question. We realize that we are far from excellency.

What will be your method of suicide?
>>
I'm glad my friend let me borrow his Wii U to play this. I would have been pissed if I shelled out $300 for a useless Switch just to play this shitty game.
>>
>>386174086
>most of the devs were nobodies
>CDPR
>nobodies
You are desperate as fuck, m8. Just admit your defeat already.
>>
>>386174602
>>386174431

>or devs that could do things much better.

I know readng comprehension's not your strong point considering your eyes probably glaze over when you read something that isn't mindless praise, but try to pull the corporate dick out of your loose asshole thanks.

Christ, I bet that link and this was where posts like >>386159157 sprang up. Just 14 year olds regurgitating the opinions of devs.
>>
>>386175068
>CDPR
>devs that could do things much better.
Wrong again. Keep trying though, you're amusing.
>>
>>386175068
>Christ, I bet that link and this was where posts like >>386159157
No, I didn't copy anyone. That's my own opinion based on playing vidya since the Atari days and witnessing every major milestone gaming history which would radically redefine expectations.

BotW is one of those milestones. I'm sorry if that's hurtful to hear but that's YOUR problem.
>>
>>386170662
where? can you describe more accurately? its not on the map border is it? because there is an area in the snowy mountains that cuts you off at a point
>>
>>386141460
>which break every minute
What a meme complaint. On the contrary I always have too many weapons and struggle with fitting in new equipment
>>
>>386175891
He's talking about the about the mountain which the end of the map, that's why you can't climb it. Literally complaning about NOTHING. Like most BotW shitposters do.
>>
>>386176132
But I could fucking mark it on the map.
>>
>>386175908
Exactly this, I'm fucking loaded with high end weaponize all the time. ALL THE FUCKING TIME. I'm literally leaving stuff behind. And my inventory space is quite padded out, I have about 300 koroks.
>>
now that the dust has settled i think we can all agree that botw is an average open world game, see: shit, with the classic zelda charm that makes it bearable.
>>
>>386155582
>nintenbros go as far as defending skyrim now to make botw better than w3

HAHAHAH

both botw and skyrim are dogshit
>>
>>386175891
I just loaded up BOTW, the place is called Mount Agaat.
>>
>>386176345
>>386175908
>it's fun to shuffle through the same 10 weapons constantly and the whole meme mechanic is basically pointless because hi end weapons are handed out like candy
i know you were trying to defend the whole shitty durability thing but you need to work on your argument.
>>
>>386176443
Ehh...kinda I guess? It's not a perfect 10/10 masterpiece like some drones say that's for sure. Still is a solid 9.5/10 and GOTY contender though.
>>
>>386175550

Nah, they'll do things much better. Actual quests, actual story, actual game structure, the good stuff games should have.

>inb4 you wrong and mad

Just don't respond at that point.

>>386175685

BotW's design structure has been present in indie games since Minecraft. There's nothing there for devs to pillage. You could replace Zelda with Minecraft in that website link and it'd still mostly make sense, besides the polish part.
>>
>>386176534
>both botw and skyrim are dogshit
And so is Witcher 3.
>>
>>386176667
yeah im with you but thats actually not climbable simply because its on the edge of the map. they couldve done a much better job of communicating that. it worked better in other parts of the world where theres a big pit or an ocean but they kind of fucked up there
>>
>>386138213
nope, it's feels pretty good to explore it, there's always something to do nearby.
>>
Yep
>oh look, a rock pattern over there that's obviously a korok seed
>oh look, reskinned moblins and lizards
>oh look, another copy+paste horse stable

Yeah there's cool stuff that you can find around the map, but for every cool thing you have 10 filler objects to give you the illusion that the map isn't empty...
>>
>>386176697
>Still is a solid 9.5/10 and GOTY contender though.
its the normie shoe in that's for sure. for anyone who has played more than the triple a blockbusters like horizon, and whatever the fuck other garbage there is so far this year that's blasphemy.
>>
>>386176826
I believe it's the only place with a name that you can't reach and my autism is really killing me, just what the fuck is Nintendo hiding on that mountain? I must know.
>>
File: 4H1DK3K.jpg (13KB, 441x408px) Image search: [Google]
4H1DK3K.jpg
13KB, 441x408px
>>386176695
Here's a novel thought - what if the durability isn't an issue in the first place?

I bet you would complain about the lack of AMMO in Resident Evil. But then again, you just want to direct your hate towards Nintendo in particular right? So any shitty insignificant argument will do.
>>
>>386138213

Personally I see it as uncluttered, as it would have been if fans had their way.
>>
>>386176751
>Actual quests
You mean 1 quest that is repeated for the entire game? You know, that one where you follow the red line? That was truly amazing and ground breaking.
>actual story
Zelda was never about story, maybe you should try Heavy Rain instead?
>actual game structure
And what's that exactly?
>>
>>386140242
>immersion
>by making it more like real life
you don't know what immersion means
>>
>>386176878
What games do you consider good then, you hipster faggot? Wait, AC fag is that you?
>>
>>386142496
It will never end.
>>
>>386173190
Wow

I didn't expect to see so much stupidity on the part of developers
>>
>>386176751
>BotW's design structure has been present in indie games since Minecraft.
The utter fucking delusion never ends.

The sad thing is that these 'criticisms' are not based on any kind of reasoning or substantiated argument but are instead born out of a childish hate of Nintendo in general.
>>
>>386177115
i dont know what led you to this fucking tangent of autism but please explain the significance of weapon durability and how it makes the game more fun for me and how it doesn't seem like a tacked on thing just so you have to go out your way while traveling the empty map to take on generic bokoboblin camp #231 because you need to stock up on weapons?
>>
>none of this argumentation would occur if kids could just settle and be happy with a 7 or 8/10 and not demand X Nintendo game be reveled as the greatest thing ever
>>
>>386177309
>games
>this year
>good

i guess i would have to say factorio but it's not even v1.0. hollow knight was fun but not exactly goty material.
>>
>>386177608
No one hates Nintendo, they hate people who suck their cock and think they can do no wrong and want to enshrine every game they put out as perfect 10/10 masterpieces like you
>>
File: 1428522219872.jpg (342KB, 536x640px) Image search: [Google]
1428522219872.jpg
342KB, 536x640px
>>386177597
People who know about video games than you ever will think BotW is a masterpiece. Whodda fucking thunk it?
>>
>>386177767
Don't you have some Metroid thread to shitpost in, faggot? Fuck off.
>>
>>386177956
sorry botw took the crown as the designated nintendo shitposting threads.
>>
>>386138213

it feels empty because all the secrets are just shrines or seeds. it's so fucking boring. they could have put a lot of cool lore or ancient tombs or something, instead its just an obnoxious checklist of collectibles

the world has a profound lack of mystery
>>
>>386177891
>what is PR
faggot children as uneducated as ever. do you really expect anyone to come out and bash a classic beloved franchise with a rabid fanbase when they want the same fanbase to become interested in their own products?
>>
>>386177156

>Zelda was never about story, maybe you should try Heavy Rain instead?

You fags say that about everything. It's like the ultimate deflection.

>BotW has shallow combat
>Zelda was never about the combat!

>You mean 1 quest that is repeated for the entire game?

Dialogue, quest phases, different endings, different locales, lore dumps, being the hero, being the villain, not always doing the same thing you've done the entire game basically.

>And what's that exactly?

I would type it out but we both know you're just going to respond with the Nintendo drone stock 1 liner >lol no reply.

>>386177608

Where was I wrong though? You guys just keep giving nothing arguments. You wonder why these threads keep getting made when you people just keep rabidly responding negatively to anything that insults your game. At a certain point, people are giving out reasons as to why they didn't think BotW was a 10/10 and you respond with:

>lol no
>you don't get it
>its revolutionary
>you're wrong
>the content counts because it exists, you're not allowed to talk about the actual meat and bones
>responds to 1/4 of a post's material followed by ur wrong
>>
A little, but it's the wilderness. The wilderness is pretty, but it's also kind of empty.

I think it adds to the feel of the world that there's a lot of nothing between... Something. I remember playing Oblivion one of the most memorable moments for me was when I was walking in a southern area of the map around where the knights of the nine priory is, and there's little to no civilization nearby. It's just a lot of forest to wander through finding plants for alchemy and shit.
>>
>>386177891
>i prefer just a few abilities rather than like 20
>>
>>386178249
>missing you didn't even play it
>missing you should have played it on the switch
that list of excuses/responses is babywork.
>>
>>386177703
>S-STOP LIKING WHAT I DISLIKE REEEE
How old are you? Grow up.
>>
>>386178087
this this this.
Here is a complete list of moments that gave me any sense of awe:
>mountain king (or whatever it's called)
>princess's horse
>first dragon sighting
>noticing how big the map was for the first time
What else is there to discover?
>>
File: Fgt.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Fgt.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
>>386177156
>Zelda was never about story
>>
>>386178481
>i can go n e wurr iz teh bestest game ever made
How old are you? Grow up.
>>
>>386178525
same except the princess's horse. who gives a fuck? ganon's horse maybe.
>>
>>386178460

U rite. How did I miss those ones. Just tired with the loops. Couldn't try and discuss the game 3 months ago, can't discuss it now. Not that there was much to talk about anyways.
>>
>>386178674
>i can go n e wurr iz teh
Are you having a fucking stroke?
>>
>>386177614
>explain the significance of weapon durability and how it makes the game more fun for me and how it doesn't seem like a tacked on thing just so you have to go out your way while traveling the empty map to take on generic bokoboblin camp #231 because you need to stock up on weapons?

THREE things:
1) The durability lends itself to the survial theme of the game - it's YOU vs the world. You have to scavenge for clothes, weapons and food.
2) The entire game is a deliberate subversion of the expected tropes of Zelda games. In previous games you feel EMPOWERED. In BotW, Nintendo want the player to feel weak, threatened (at least initially) and always on the back-foot.
3) Durability stops players from breaking the game. It's an almost inevitable choice to make when creating a game which offers this amount of player freedom. You can get high-end weaponry right at the start of the game if you want, but they won't last. You'll need to adapt and change how you play. If you're playing 200+ hours, that's a reasonable design choice on part of Nintendo.

Some people won't like it and I'll admit the inventory could have been handled better. But it's fine. People blow it out of proportion.
>>
>>386178210
This level of denial. Holy shit.
>>
>>386178830
This is proof the Nintenyear olds have not been around for very long
>>
>>386178249
>Where was I wrong though?
Read the fucking thread.
>>
>>386179017
What the fuck are you even talking about, retard?
>>
>>386179017
of course they have but they live in a bubble of only nintendo games. to them this is as groundbreaking as gta 3 was to the rest of us.
>>
>>386179084

Find the post that presents an argument and isn't some variation of the greentexts.

>u cant
>>
>>386178893
The first two things you listed are meaningless dribble.

You have somewhat of a point in 3 by suggesting that it prevents getting the high end equipment early, but since the best equipment is already inaccessible early on its pointless.
>>
>>386178893
>survial theme
l-l-lol?
>>
>>386179118
>to them this is as groundbreaking as gta 3 was to the rest of us.
Did you think Super Mario 64 or OoT were groundbreaking? Or do you live in denial of those too?
>>
>>386178828
>Couldn't try and discuss the game 3 months ago, can't discuss it now
Maybe you should play the game first before trying to discuss it? That thought never occurred to you?
>>
>>386179313
goddamit anon, you can freeze to death and... hot to death. obviously botw is a survival game of the highest order with these revolutionary mechanics blending the players choices with survival aspects that leads them to question even their own mortality.
>>
>>386179256
>but since the best equipment is already inaccessible early on its pointless
The colosseum is right next to starting area. You can get high-end good shit if you want.
>>
>>386179325
Not him but they were groundbreaking just as GTA 3 was.

But people can't cope with the fact that such groundbreaking achievments dont really happen anymore so theyre trying to invent one. BOTW is not on the level of those games in terms of importance.

It's like liberals who can't cope with the fact that all the civil rights movements are over and people are all equal so they have to continually invent shit to protest about to feel important
>>
>>386179325
>stuck in nintendo's glory days
i don't blame you anon they truly were the kings back then.
>>
>>386179219
>>386159157

Not him but this guy nails it. Cry. I know you will.
>>
>>386179521
From the lynel? You can't take out that sponge early on.
>>
>>386179443
So why exactly are you so mad about BotW's success again? Can't stand the fact that something you don't like is perceived as a masterpiece by a majority of people?
>>
>>386138213
>ITT: it's ok when nintendo does it
just as expected
>>
>>386174431
>You know, If you were to remove all NPCs, quests and mobs, I would still take pleasure in exploring that beautiful world.
My nigga knows. BotW is much more a SotC type game than it is like skyrim or witcher 3.
>>
>>386179696
>projecting this hard
not mad friend. think it's hilarious that a standard open world game gets this much praise in 2017. why are you mad that not everyone in existence won't just give up and proclaim botw as gotyay?
>>
>>386179670
Climb up and over. Start at the top and work your way down. You can chuck bombs and stay out of harms way. Not easy and not the recommended way to play but it's still an option.
>>
>>386179568
>BOTW is not on the level of those games in terms of importance.
Who ever said it was? Does every game needs to be groundbreaking to be good? How fucking delusional are you? Do you also think that every movie that is not Citizen Kane is shit?
>>
>>386179629
>>386168989
>>386165380
>>386165294
>>386167137

It got responses and counterarguments though.
>>
>>386179778
>itt - its revolutionary when nintendo does it
they're evolving anon. we're way past regular fanboy delusions now.
>>
File: steven-ogg-trevor-from-gta-v-dem.jpg (143KB, 1902x1079px) Image search: [Google]
steven-ogg-trevor-from-gta-v-dem.jpg
143KB, 1902x1079px
I've been playing for a couple of days now, around 10 hours total, i made it to kakariko villiage and stuff.

So far I have been exploring a lot and keep finding stuff everywhere I turn. I don't feel an empty feeling when exploring but maybe that's just because I am used to absolutely desolate games like Just Cause 2's copy/pasta map, or GTA V.
>>
>4 months later
>the sonygroes are still asshurt about BotW
Lmao, It's a great game, get over it.
>>
>>386179996
Which were pitifully weak and counter-argued.
>>
>>386179873
>think it's hilarious that a standard open world game gets this much praise
We aren't talking about Witcher 3 though.
>>
>>386159157
Wow, they threw together all the meme-features from other games and put them into one big one, GENRE DEFINING
>>
>>386138213

all the shrines are fucking dreadful. what a shitty thing to put in an open world game, its like the opposite of what an open world game should have. whats the point of having an open world if you're just going to put 100 self contained mini dungeons across it?
>>
>>386167521
my friend, You must be fucking retarded or something
>>
>>386179914
>Who ever said it was?
Uhh the whole fucking world if you havent been living under a rock or read even a third of the posts in this thread
>Does every game needs to be groundbreaking to be good?
According to mainstream gamers apparently yes

Sound like you agree with me that BOTW is not some 10/10 masterpiece. That its simply a good 7/10, which is all i'm arguing
>>
>>386180198
>meme-features
Meme post.
>>
>>386138213

red dead redeptiom feels a lot less empty. sure it has a lot of empty land, but its ok because 1) it looks stunning and atmospheric and 2) there's a lot of ambient challenges like hunting, collecting plants, taming horses, finding treasure...So you also kind of feel like an explorer of the land. The game has some amazing views and vistas so its always a treat.

RDR is still a prime example of how to make open world
>>
>>386180173

>he said, defending the copy pasta of a starry eyed 14 year old
>>
>>386180191
>citing a dissapointing game that was still 10x better than botw
how hard would you have cum if nintendo made witcher 3 i wonder? you might still be spitting ropes between shitposting about how revolutionary it was to use witcher sense to make clues glow bright red.
>>
>>386180295
>Uhh the whole fucking world
So you admit that you're just a buttblasted hipster then?
>BOTW is not some 10/10 masterpiece
Yeah I agree
>That its simply a good 7/10
If by 7/10 you mean 9/10 then yeah, I agree.
>>
>>386180340
>meme post
meme game
>>
>>386180450
>sure it has a lot of empty land, but its ok because 1) it looks stunning and atmospheric and 2) there's a lot of ambient challenges like hunting, collecting plants, taming horses, finding treasure...So you also kind of feel like an explorer of the land. The game has some amazing views and vistas so its always a treat.
You literally just described BotW, am I being memed?
>>
>>386144147
CEMU 1.9.0 with the hook and speed hack has made it playable (Switch framerates) for me, though inside shrines it runs at 60fps which makes some of the "puzzles" more difficult than they should be since the time scale is locked to the frame rate.
>>
File: 1463495575975-2.jpg (46KB, 283x286px) Image search: [Google]
1463495575975-2.jpg
46KB, 283x286px
>>386179873
>why are you mad that not everyone in existence won't just give up and proclaim botw as gotyay?
Why are you mad that BotW is offically in the history books as one of the greatest games of all time and touted as new benchmark for open world design?

Oh you're right and everyone else is wrong. you're such a special snowflake. How will that ass sting feel when it wins GOTY?
>>
>>386180750
Your entire life is a meme.
>>
>>386180450
lmao
>>
Yeah, I wish there was caves and underwater areas
>>
>>386180769

BotW doesnt really have ambient challenges like that, its just finding shrines and seeds

Also, its not a great looking game, there are hardly any views that are breathtaking
>>
>>386180826
>though inside shrines it runs at 60fps which makes some of the "puzzles" more difficult than they should be since the time scale is locked to the frame rate.

You can use a program like Rivatuner to limit the game to running at 30fps. Fixes any wonky FPS problems in shrines/menus,
>>
>>386144147
Doesn't have to be that good. Potato tier GPUs can run it past 60 fps, the real limiter is your CPU, but even then requirements aren't that bad. I have an ANCIENT i5 2400 @ 3.10 GHz, isn't overclocked either since I have temp problems with it, and I can run it with no speedhack shenanigans at 30 fps open world. The stables kill my frame rate for some reason though, often going to 15/20 fps. But since I almost never go to stables since horses are a useless gimmick, it doesn't bother me.
>>
>>386180450
Anon... Breath of the Wild is the closest experience I've had that can compare to RDR. There's just so many parallels despite being completely different games.
>>
>>386180769
>breath of wild random events
>save npc from bokoblins and ....

>red dead redemption random events
http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Random_Encounters
>>
>>386180987
>BotW doesnt really have ambient challenges like that
>hunting, collecting plants, taming horses, finding treasure
All things you can do in BotW
>its not a great looking game
It doesn't have amazing GRAFIXX like HZD or Uncharted or whatever today's benchmark is but it looks objectively better than RDR.
>>
File: Ed.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ed.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
>>386181396
>botw looks objectively better than RDR
>>
>>386181262
>all those scripted encounters that you do once and forget about
Whoa...amazing....
>>
>>386181396
>but it looks objectively better than RDR.

It actually doesn't. I was playing RDR earlier and it's amazing how well it holds up. It is far more visually appealing than BotW....which is actually a pretty ugly game
>>
>>386181396
this kind of drone mentality, has to beba falseflag, not even sonybros are this insuferable
>>
>>386180843
not mad, amazed by this mass delerium of people who have convinced themselves that anything in botw is somehow revolutionary. i admit the first 10 hours or so built my hopes up so high that it might have added to my negativity of the game. i thought the game was going to keep introducing mechanics and shit as time went on. instead 140 hours into the game i was doing the exact same shit i was doing 10 hours in. i wish it ended there but actually it just got worse as i played. i found out dungeons were literally outclassed by some of the better shrines of which there were only a few good ones. i found out the story was basically non existent and told through memories and nothing in the present pushed the story forward. it was like the entire story was over before link awakened and all that was left was go fight gannon. i found the master sword and grinded for hearts until i could get it only to be dissapointed by it. i wish i could have the same delusions as you about the game anon, i wanted to love it.
>>
BoTW is the only open world game in recent years to not have a stupid fucking GO HERE FOR LOOT marker, unless you set it yourself via the beacons.

That alone makes me like it more than other open world games.
>>
>>386181591
But you're still butthurt and shitposting about a game half a year after it was released. Oh my.
>>
File: fish.jpg (178KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
178KB, 1280x1280px
>>386181396
>BOTW looks objectively better than RDR
>>
BotW is Nintendo catching up to last gen's gameplay standards. MAYBE if they go all out the next Zelda game will be the 10/10 masterpiece people like to portray BotW as.
>>
>>386181524
>booty blasted
>i-its not that interesting!!! botw is genre defining, it m-m-mic dropped the industry i swear!
>>
>>386181567
Different strokes. I like BotW's art style, it just fits the series. It would have been a mistake if Nintendo attempted to make the game hyper realistic.
>>
>>386181740
it's because ninten niggers still bring up it's above a 7/10
>>
>>386181749
We always remember games from the past looking better than they did, since at the time it was the technological limit, and amazed us, but compared to today it looks like shit.

Take GUN for an example. GREAT fucking game, I absolutely loved it. Remembered it as looking great, riding around and shooting folks on horses.

Went to play it again a few months ago, realized it looks like ass today. But its still a great game.
>>
File: Red-Dead-Redemption.png (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Red-Dead-Redemption.png
3MB, 1280x720px
>>386181490
>>386181567
>>386181591
>>386181749
What's the matter? Truth hurts? RDR looks and always looked like garbage
>>
>>386182045
low effort
>>
>>386138213

Nobody agrees with me but the gameplay isnt even fun

Everyone is impressed with the climbing. What's so great about it? In most games, cliffs and tall hills are natural obstacles of the landscape that give it character and make you use interesting routes around. Being able to climb anything is boring especially if there isn't a lot of interesting stuff on top.

I also feel like so much of the game is digging around in your inventory, either for a new item/weapon or using physics. It gets old so quickly. The game would be more fun with significantly less items and more focused dungeons
>>
>>386182045
That's because they refused to release the PC version despite having one ready to go. I have no idea why.
>>
>>386181909
Seething
>>
File: Ocarina_of_Time_poster.jpg (683KB, 1836x2500px) Image search: [Google]
Ocarina_of_Time_poster.jpg
683KB, 1836x2500px
>>386181893
Felt the same about OOT's, wouldn't be surprised if they abandoned the style for the next game too
>>
>>386182045
you could've tried harder, pal
>>
>>386182045

Even with that deliberately blurry, crappy screen shot you posted, that still looks better than BotW
>>
File: 1499566044803.gif (2MB, 448x246px) Image search: [Google]
1499566044803.gif
2MB, 448x246px
>>386182148
>Everyone is impressed with the climbing. What's so great about it? In most games, cliffs and tall hills are natural obstacles of the landscape that give it character and make you use interesting routes around.
>>
>>386182148
The point about climbing is that you need it to do certain things or get certain places, and its directly tied to your stamina gauge which you get more of via shrines.

The ability to climb longer and take better shortcuts is intrinsically tied to your progression in the game, making it part of that effort -> reward cycle.

My only complaint about climbing is that rain fucks it up and you have to switch to climbing gear every time you want to make a big climb. I would have VASTLY preferred if climbing gears passive was bypassing the slippery effect that rain gives.
>>
>>386182223
>metacritic post 2010
lol
>>
File: jbihh.jpg (166KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
jbihh.jpg
166KB, 1280x720px
>>386182045
visually stunning, truly
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
>>386182257
>deliberately blurry, crappy screen shot
That's exactly how it looked ingame though.
>>
>>386182363
>m-m-m-metacritic only counts when it suites me!!
lel
>>
>>386182621
nice strawman, not surprising for a nintendo baby
>>
>>386182547
>youtube screencap
(You)
>>
>>386182338
>The ability to climb longer and take better shortcuts is intrinsically tied to your progression in the game
No its not. There are very few places inaccessible with the base stamina, and those places are just the highest pillars or mountains with koroks on top. There is no cycle, there is no progression. You can't claim "its great you can go anywhere from the start" and "there is progression that requires upgrading stamina to access" at the same time, its called a contradiction.
>>
>>386182845
>my cherry picked blurry video caps are real
>but not yours youre not being fair!!!
>>
>>386182148
>Everyone is impressed with the climbing. What's so great about it? In most games, cliffs and tall hills are natural obstacles of the landscape that give it character and make you use interesting routes around.

In most open world games getting to an objective requires nothing more than pointing your character in the right direction on your minimap and moving along a flat trajectory.

In BotW, verticality adds a depth to topographical exploration and navigating the world becomes an interactive and reactive exercise. Seeing an object of interest in the distance requires you to figure out how you will get there, and the game design allows the player to approach situations in their own way and let's them fashion their own solutions depending on the resources they have and/or how they want to play.
>>
>>386162276
>Keep in mind we are talking the same crowds that praised Skyward Sword as 9 or above
That's because it is a 9/10 game. Botw still sucks though
>>
>>386183038
oh look another copypasted post
>In most open world games getting to an objective requires nothing more than pointing your character in the right direction on your minimap and moving along a flat trajectory.
This is a horrible exaggeration that could be applied to BOTW as well
>buzzwords buzzwords empty prose
I really dont get why people are trying to mask actual analysis with fluffy yet empty poetry.
Verticality is not inherently good. Any game that has exploration is "interactive." Ass creed has plenty of verticality, as does just cause and many other games

>how you will get there
you'll glide as far as you can then run there, potentially having to climb a few rocks

>approach situations in their own way
like every other game on the market
>>
>>386165192
Loz1 was a cryptic mess. Take off your nostalgia goggles grandpa
>>
>>386182148
pretty much my experience, it looks great (run like shit) and the charm of zelda aesthetic last about 20 hours for me

gameplay is very much influenced by early access survival collectathon on PC like minecraft, pretty much you need to have autism to not find the grind of collect a bunch of useless shit, do that puzzle for 200th time to get korok seeds ... boring.

Need more variety, right now its not even top 3 LoZ
>>
>>386165192
>massive handholding
outside of Fi there really isnt that much
>not difficult
as if botw is difficult?
>linearity
not an inherently bad concept, you need to explain why linearity is bad (which you cant)
>mashing
combat? just like mashing in botw?

>nostalgia
As opposed to zelda fanboyism, recency bias, and the desire to fit in
>>
>>386183389
You forgot to add how you don't even have to think when you fight the bosses, you just throw your inventory at them until they die
>>
File: 1495085116155.gif (2MB, 250x191px) Image search: [Google]
1495085116155.gif
2MB, 250x191px
>>386183389
I'll copy/paste my own posts whenever I want because I honestly cannot be bothered typing out the same points to every single in-denial salty assblasted faggot.

You can't actually refute my points. I KNOW you can't. So instead you'll stomp your feet and cry.
>>
File: 149504596555.jpg (18KB, 415x454px) Image search: [Google]
149504596555.jpg
18KB, 415x454px
>>386183808
>>
>>386183808
this guy literally thinks his garbage is so bulletproof that he copypastes it every thread, ignores all the posts breaking down how stupid each of his "points" are, and continues to tell himself he's right, choosing to not provide any counterarguments

This is just sad really. You are just plain mentally incompetent
>>
>>386182853
I never claimed that you can go anywhere from the start. You may be confusing me for someone else.
>>
>>386143321
it's fully playable and mostly bug free on emulator, the autismbux insured that
>>
>>386183726
botw bosses? youre absolutely right
>>
>>386150148
My second play through I avoided fast travel and used the horse instead. It's a very different experience, you get a better sense of place, the land becomes an old friend. combat is quite different, spears and 2h weapons are king, and get a nice damage multiplier when galloping. Fighting hinox's and stalnoxes on horseback is pretty fun. Lynels will just get your horse killed, but one time my horse killed a hinox for me, kicked it to death while I was trying to get turned around.
>>
>>386168385
Damage control made me laugh.

>>386171684
Kek. It's definitely empty going off of my memory. It's funny how I've seen so many people rightfully bash OoT for being "empty" but have never seen anyone criticize Shadow of the Colossus for being empty.
>>
>>386184089
shut the fuck up
>>
>>386184127
if people are seriously going to start shitting on sotc for being empty im going to quit video games forever because its gotten too stupid
>>
>>386138213
Only if your only other experience with "open world" games are things like horizon zero yawn where its shoving shit and objective markers in your face every two steps.
>>
File: 1501741627989.png (207KB, 439x302px) Image search: [Google]
1501741627989.png
207KB, 439x302px
>>386184001
And yet you will not be able to name ONE SINGLE GAME comparable to the level of freedom of exploration, player agency and design sophistication that BotW offers.

Tell me how wrong I am. Name ONE GAME. You've had 6 months to think about it.
>>
BotW gave me flashbacks to TP. As in there was no excitement when finding a treasure chest because I knew it was going to be something worthless most of the time or I would just be greeted with another "your inventory is full message."
>>
>>386184261
What's wrong with criticizing SotC for being empty?
>>
>>386184153
what?
i couldnt hear you over the sound of my cock in your mouth faggot
>>
>>386184407
unreal world
>>
>>386184407
Youre still avoiding counter arguments

But to answer you

Metal Gear Solid V
>>
>>386184407
cataclysm dark days ahead
>>
>>386184407

I would describe BotW as extremely unsophisticated and unfocused. Most of the tasks you do are fucking boring shrines, and the world has virtually no mystery or any real sense of history to explore. It is an extremely pedestrian open world. The game's main appeal is that you can post cool physics webms
>>
>>386184673
I would describe you as a dumb faggot desu
>>
>>386184407
>freedom of exploration
any game that isnt FF13 basically
>player agency
such a broad term you may as well just say "gameplay".
>design sophistication
that changes depending on what type of game it is

You cant even provide a starting point from which to defend botw, just a bunch of broad buzzwords
>>
>>386184407
elona+
>>
>>386184582
>Metal Gear Solid V
Jesus fucking Christ. A text-book example of pointing your character in the right direction on your minimap and pushing UP on the joypad.
>>
>>386184884
Just like Breath of Wild
>>
>>386184965
Nah.
>>
>>386185021
Yeah, moreso than most games actually
>>
>>386141707
4/10
>>
>>386138213
Welcome to real life.
>>
>>386185160
Do you have a single fact to back that up?
>>
>>386184407

You're just going to say nuh uh because you never played any other games though.
>>
>>386184965
Actually completely wrong. The main focus of the player is on the world onscreen, not staring at minimaps. Stand on top of any mountain, choose a distant landmark to get to and straight away your brain is figuring out how to get there, what you need to do to get there and what you will once you do get there - probably without you even realising you're thinking about it. And all of the choices are dependent on how the player wants to play and how the weather, the climate and the environment affect their decisions.
>>
>>386185297
The fact that there is less in the way of you and a particular area than other games
>>
>>386185623
Stop typing.
>>
>>386185541
Youre just reiterating the same overstated shit said previously.

"your brain is figuring out how to get there"
Your brain is figuring out how to stand up and open the refridgerator door to grab milk or do literally anything, "without you even realizing youre thinking about it"
>And all of the choices are dependent on how the player wants to play and how the weather, the climate and the environment affect their decisions.
"if i need to climb and its raining, ill wait then climb" running and climbing is literally all you ever have to do to get anywhere.

This is just trolling at this point. No one can be so ridiculously stupid to glorify running between two points in a video game. Trolling or you people have some serious, actual brain damage
>>
>>386185541
wait but you can mark landmarks in-game in MGSV from a high place or just zoom in with the scope OR use the minimap, what's the difference exactly?
>>
>>386185760
I will once you admit botw is severly overrated or provide some counterarguments
>>
>>386185623
Have you attempted to travel at night? Monsters all over the damn place, the occasional bobklin stronghold right on the main paths or whatever those skull-like things are that they live in, and guardian infested areas.
>>
>>386185975
botw is a zelda game, thats it
>>
>>386186105
there are no more monsters at night than in the day. those skulls are always out of the way and easily avoided.

>there are enemies be careful
yeah because no video game has ever had enemies in the game until BOTW changed the industry
>>
>>386184884

>nuh uh

>>386184846

>no argument

>>386183808

>ignores the post and still no argument

>>386182329

>green text

>>386180918
>>386181524

>no argument

Great arguments there.
>>
>>386184846
I would describe you as an infantile faggot.
>>
>>386185907
Not to mention that once you get the game-breaking bird miracle you can pretty much fly over any fucking obstacle you come across and call it a day. Basically makes an already brain-dead navigation experience even more of a bore.
>>
File: 1500992646217.jpg (10KB, 269x269px) Image search: [Google]
1500992646217.jpg
10KB, 269x269px
>>386185907
>if i need to climb and its raining, ill wait then climb
Really now? You think that's all there is to the weather/climate/environment interaction?

At the start of the game, how did you get to the shrine at the top of the snowy mountain in the great plateau. You tell me how YOU got there just running and climbing without dying.

You didn't. You had to stop and think about how you would get up there, how you would survive the cold, how you would cross that freezing river and how and where you would climb the mountains.

I bet my way of doing it was completely different from yours.

And that's just the start of the game.
>>
File: wait-good-point_o_1144675-1.jpg (105KB, 492x466px) Image search: [Google]
wait-good-point_o_1144675-1.jpg
105KB, 492x466px
>>386187030
>>
>replying to yourself
>>
>>386187030
>You think that's all there is to the weather/climate/environment interaction?
yeah actually thats about it
>theres 4 areas in the game where you'll need to equip clothing lest you slowly lose hearts
oh heavens me i completely forgot, youre right. this groundbreaking and unique aspect only in botw is truly more than simply running from place to place

>how you got there
I just ran and climbed there without dying actually.
>>
>>386186320
>replying to shitposting faggots
You must be new here.
>>
File: wat.jpg (149KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
149KB, 1200x800px
>>386187347
Keep crying.
>>
File: 5xNuur5.jpg (105KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
5xNuur5.jpg
105KB, 500x375px
>>386187030
>change shirt
>wow such innovation
>>
>>386187606
>I just ran and climbed there without dying actually.
No you didn't.
>>
>>386187870
>its not convenient for the weak point im trying to make

Wait I thought you said my experience was different than yours?

Oh I see it changes when its convenient for you
>>
>>386187771
Nice try. Seriously.
>>
File: Cook.png (278KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
Cook.png
278KB, 500x382px
>>386188021
>its another insult post without a counter argument
>>
>>386188021
He's right you pedantic faggot.
>>
File: flowers.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
flowers.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>386138213
It's not merely that the world feels empty, it's that it lacks variety. After the first dozen hours or so you've basically experienced most of the content of the game. Everything after is just a retread. It loses its novelty rather quickly. The difficulty also falls off a cliff, it starts off reasonably challenging but once you understand the enemy patterns (and there aren't many), start stacking up on food, learn how to parry/flurry rush (which takes no time at all), upgrade your armor, etc, the game becomes trivial. There's no great test of your skill at the end of the game, once you've beaten your first lynel you have basically mastered the combat. You could argue this is still an improvement over the combat of previous 3D Zeldas but those weren't quite as reliant on their combat as BotW is, and also had more variety in their encounters.

BotW has a good structure to make a real Zelda out of but on its own it's lackluster. One can only hope that the inevitable sequel builds on BotW's accomplishments and recognizes its many shortcomings.
>>
>>386187974
You can't just run and climb. The entire area is designed to make you aware of how environment and climate affect the gameplay as well introducing you to the notions of using different ways of survival.

You didn't get up there by simply looking at your mini map and running there. So stop talking shit.
>>
>>386188225
You just keep saying the same fucking shit over and over lol.

Yeah actually i did just look at my mini map and run around the mountain til I found my way up. Just as I did in every other video game on the face of the earth
>>
>>386167137
>It's not the 'climbing' which is important, it's the consequences of what the climbing means for the game's design.
Does this sentence seem retarded to anyone else?
>>
yup
>>
>>386188225
but how is it designed?

you mentioned a river so you'd have to cut down trees or use the korok leaf thing with a raft or something to cross - but is the river just thin enough at some point that you can cross over it with land and not make it an obstacle?

Can you make an updraft with a fire and get enough height or do you not have the parachute by then etc.
>>
>>386188482
Having to use an item for a cold resist buff is groundbreaking stuff for Nintendo babbies, so go easy on the guy.
>>
>453 posts
>128 IPs
Sure is autistic Sony samefag in here. Go be a shill somewhere else.
>>
>>386138213
not a bit, a LOT empty.

MGS V was emptier, but the countless ways to capture enemy outposts kinda made it feel fresh for way longer.
>>
>>386188225
Look dude, having rain and a few hot/cold areas that require some clothing or maybe a heat/cold resistant food is neat and all, but trying to present it as some innovative mechanic is just silly
>>
>>386188086
>>386188129
No isn't. You have to be desperate as fuck to conclude thats anywhere near the same type of gameplay.

If you want to get warm clothing on the plateau, you have to work for it. OR you can fashion your own solution - maybe set a torch on fire so the heat source will keep you warm, or maybe cook some food to give you a cold defence or maybe just collect as much food as you can beforehand and just heal yourself along the way. And thats just the 'climate', you still have to get over that freezing river you can't swim across and climb that mountain. Or you also have the freedom to try a different approach. But either way you're thinking, evaluating, using the knowledge of the game's mechanics. The whole game is like this.
>>
>>386188776
That's pretty average for most long threads.
>>
>>386188893
Whatever you say Sony shill.
>>
>>386188632
Yes, but that's what its like trying to argue with BOTW shills. They just copypaste the same meaningless, flowery language in place of arguments, explanation etc. They're describing everyday mundane video game things as extraordinary to justify calling zelda better than it is
>>
>>386188632
Only if you don't understand 'game design'.
>>
>>386188776
totally not botw babby samefag
>>
>>386138213
Zelda overworlds have always been a bit empty, you fucking dumbass.
>>
>>386188225
I don't think anyone would argue that the plateau is one of the best designed areas in any game.

The issue is that the rest of the game doesn't build off of it. If anything, it's just a pale imitation copy pasted over an admittedly large world map.
>>
>>386188970
It's an objective 97, what is there to justify? Just give up already, dude.
>>
>>386189078
Majora's Mask?
>>
>>386189180
>>386189180
This, the Great Plateau has a very clear handcrafted design to it that most of the rest of the game lacks. They put way more work into the Plateau than any other area. Probably because they were so eager to showcase it at E3.
>>
>>386188862
>if you want the goron tunic you have to work for it
>or just heal yourself
>run around a river that you only see if youre retarded and fall down
Oh but right you can guess at cold/heat resistant foods. wow, groundbreaking!
> thinking, evaluating, using the knowledge of the game's mechanics. The whole game is like this.
more generic dribble that can be applied to any game or any game mechanic
>>
>>386189229
>zero arguments
>objective
>97
lol sure thing
>>
File: 1497051533013.png (204KB, 334x458px) Image search: [Google]
1497051533013.png
204KB, 334x458px
Almost six months later and we're still doing daily 500+ post threads crying about BotW.
>>
>>386189180
best designed area in botw, sure.
in ANY game? ehhh lets not get ahead of ourselves
>>
>>386184127
Being empty and barren was an intentional with SotC though, in order to better reflect the themes of the game. The overworld is meant to be a wasteland.
>>
>>386189531
and not a single one has a reasonable argument for why it should be considered any higher than a good 7/10
>>
>>386189348
>that most of the rest of the game lacks. They put way more work into the Plateau than any other area
Blatantly false.
>>
>>386189531
i only see in this thread people giving fair criticism to BoTW in comparison to the mindless drones that """attempts""" to counter yet holding no argument whasoever that's not muh enjoyment.
>>
>>386189643
Why should it be considered 7/10? Why do you even care? Does the fact that other people like this game more than you upsets you this much? Are you really this autistic and sad? Jesus Christ dude, take a break from /v/.
>>
>>386189652
Do you have an argument? Because my own experience of actually playing the game is way more convincing to me than your "UR WRONG". It's very clear to me that they put a shitload of time into the Plateau and not as much into the other areas. There's the rare exception but the quality of design in the Plateau is not uniform across the whole map.
>>
>>386189882
>HAHA BOTW IS A 10/10 GET FUCKED SONY/XBOX/PEECEE
>uhh why do you care? why are you so upset at people shoving their overrated game at everyone else faces, lol chill dude....
>>
>>386189531
If there weren't people criticizing the game then it'd just be a circlejerk of

>GOTYAY BEST GAME OF ALL TIME 10/10 MASTERPIECE FLAWLESS

It's more than fair to inject some honest criticism into the conversation.
>>
>>386189882
>jesus christ
Who is the one getting upset?
>like
I don't care if people like it. It's when people are calling it the best game or best zelda ever and encouraging them to make more like it thats an issue. When you ignore tons of blatant flaws and shower a game with undue praise the devs wont make better games
>>
>>386170240
>tfw I have an incomplete UE4 project where the concept is a multiplayer flying shooter with limited energy to thrust and wallrun, collecting additional energy and ammo from the map and other players
>quake style, boxed in maps, with more emphasis on high to low ground difference and ramps
Hope you enjoyed my blog
>>
>>386190014
>Do you have an argument?
I don't know, do you?
>Because my own experience
>It's very clear to me
That's not an argument, that's your opinion.
>>
>>386190241
when you say "blatantly false" the burden of proof lies on you
>>
>>386190149
>some honest criticism
Shitposting isn't criticism, anon.
>>
>insist on "innovating" with your consoles
>copy-paste game design
Why are Nintendo so back asswards?
>>
>>386190241
Do you have any self-awareness at all? Why do you feel the need to defend the game's honor without actually contributing anything of your own to the discussion? This is why people call you a drone, you know.

>inb4 another NO U
>>
>>386190373
>its ok i'll just ignore and deflect all arguments and criticism as shitposting
this is the problem with society
>>
>>386190351
>hurrdurrr this area is better than any other areas in the game
>Why?
>JUST BECAUSE
>>
File: han.jpg (15KB, 323x323px) Image search: [Google]
han.jpg
15KB, 323x323px
>>386190373
>any negative opinions of a game I like is shitposting

Can we stop with this meme? There have been many many many legitimate criticisms of BotW made over numerous threads, you'd have to be blind (or a fanboy) not to see them.
>>
>>386190479
You didn't ask
>Why?
you just said
>Blatantly false.

You know people can read, right?
>>
>>386190479
>>386190580
also its very common in games for the most time and effort put into the beginning to demo and draw people in
>>
>>386184459
it's an essential part of the game
>>
>>386189567
Doesn't mean it didn't hurt the game by making it boring.
>>
>>386143327
>genre defining
>did nothing new
>has less content than ass creed 1
>>
>>386184459
At least in SotC's case there was a very clear minimalist design philosophy, there was thought put into everything. BotW is not minimalist by any means and there's a lot of aspects of the game that I would argue are not very "thought out".
>>
>>386184459
SOTC was empty by design, the sight of a colossus is supposed to draw you towards it, only to see how massive it is as you get closer
>>
>>386190485
Oh is that so? Well fuck, I guess you finally convinced me that all that enjoyment I got from playing it was fake and that the game is actually shit.
Thanks for opening my eyes, /v/!
>>
>>386191192
jesus christ youre fucking pathetic
>>
>>386190906
>has less content than ass creed 1
Untrue, Asscreed didn't have 900 flags. ;^)

>>386191192
>saying a game isn't perfect = saying you shouldn't enjoy a game
And thus was the Nintendo fan exposed as a delicate little baby.
>>
>>386191192
>false enjoyment
are you legit retarded?
>I / I DIDN'T HAD FUN THEREFORE IS A GOOD/BAD GAME
beyond retarded it seems
>>
Game is alright but shrines are easy as fuck and the enemies are uninspired trash
>>
File: tfw.png (438KB, 720x445px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
438KB, 720x445px
>>386190229
sounds cool, anything to show yet or nah?
>>
drones of the wild btfo yet again
>>
>>386191386
The problem here is that you're parading your opinion as some fact that everyone should agree with. Get off your high horse.
>>
>>386191850
Not even him but what opinion is he parading as fact? If anyones on a high horse its you people foaming at the mouth at how botw is the best thing ever
>>
>>386191850
i see nothing opinionated in his post, and if you can't agree with facts it goes to show how fucking braindead you are
>>
I dont sway one way or the other for this game yet but I do have to ask how the game beyond the great plateau doesn't utilize the same design methods or the design somehow falls apart.

I'm assuming the shrines are separated into a few different types and you start to see repeated ideas but, what is there to do outside of shrines that fails in comparison to the great plateau?
>>
>>386192083
>>386192113
Not an argument.
>>
ironic
>>
>>386192359
The overworld. The Great Plateau is very carefully designed and hand built, while the rest of the game (sans a few tiny patches) feels much more scattershot. I get that the Plateau is the tutorial so it's got more work put into it but honestly if they made the game ten times the size of the Plateau with just as much care put into it I think it would be more deserving of the 10/10 scores it got.
>>
File: enterthevoid.png (990KB, 1215x606px) Image search: [Google]
enterthevoid.png
990KB, 1215x606px
>>386191536
A placeholder model and a render glitch, gonna make the art last.
>>
>>386161353
>be Swede
>mfw outside
>mudslimes everywhere
they done fucked this shit up senpai
>>
>>386192549
Are you ok mentally? Did you forget your medicine? This point of the conversation doesnt have any argumentation. What are you actually talking about?
>>
>>386192867
>This point of the conversation doesnt have any argumentation
Exactly. Glad you agree.
>>
File: heavy breathing.png (122KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
heavy breathing.png
122KB, 1200x1200px
>>
>>386192996
See a doctor, please. I'm worried at this point
>>
>>386193064
Not an argument.
>>
>>386192771
ok, bare with me as i get specific because this is actually how to talk about video games and not just fling extremities around but,

As in ground zeroes where you interact with ONE base, do you think BOTW's great plateau benefits because its smaller scale - and in the actual game theres just so much dead space with plopped down "camps" of enemies that basically just extends the time it takes to get to shrines?
>>
>>386192996
you replied to a post that pointed how enjoyment is unable to qualify the quality of a game since it's subjetive, people called you out and you expected to be explain you this? no instead you actually claimed a lack on arguments when you were the ignorant in the first place, happy now, Timmy?
>>
>>386188670
>anon who hasn't even played the game tries to argue against it
>>
>>386193297
>enjoyment is unable to qualify the quality of a game since it's subjetive
Yeah but majority of people agree that BotW is 10/10 so I hope you enjoy being a hipster.
Thread posts: 521
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.