[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't get this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

File: 3298765498326543.jpg (55KB, 872x645px) Image search: [Google]
3298765498326543.jpg
55KB, 872x645px
Why do video game songs like this never win any awards?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATcKBMYYSJs [Embed]

They get millions of views and yet the original artist is extremely likely to just fade into obscurity after the hype is over and eventually commit sudoku, because most people are just going to download the song for free being the cheapskates they are.

So I would atleast hope that the original artist is rewarded by some kind of award for "Best OP of 2017", but nope. It doesn't happen.

Is it just some kind of naive "HURR VIDEO GAME MUSIC IS NOT REAL MUSIC" attitude amongst critics that prevents awards being given to best video game songs?
>>
It's cause most game music isn't taken notice of as a stand alone piece and mainly is considered part of the game
>>
you don't need trophies or cash rewards to feel good about yourself OP. I'm pretty sure the composer is already satisfied by seeing that millions of people hear his music.
>>
File: disney.png (93KB, 640x607px) Image search: [Google]
disney.png
93KB, 640x607px
Award shows are cancer, sempai. You don't want them.
>>
>>386124725
because they're shit
>>
>>386124725
What awards?
There's VGAs. If you mean some Grammy shit, correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't give awards to any kind of OST albums, do they?
>>
Because giving random games awards don't appeal to normalfags and don't do a single thing for to boost labels.
Games have their own awards, soundtracks sell even if piracy exists and successful artists don't bank their entire career on a single game.
>>
Baba Yetu won a grammy.
>>
>>386124725
Because jazz pop in this vein hasn't had commercial relevance since the early '90s.

Plus heavily accented vocals are offputting to many people. Take Loudness for instance; they were the biggest Asian metal band of the '80s, but they ditched their original Japanese singer in a heartbeat for an American vocalist when they had the chance to potentially crack the international market.
>>
>>386124725
that song is fucking terrible
t. 1 TB hard drive filled with music
>>
>>386124725
>the original artist is extremely likely to just fade into obscurity after the hype is over

Shouji Meguro doesn't need your irrelevant awards to prove his talent.
>>
>>386124843
The Grammys have expanded a few categories to such extents as "Visual media" so that video games can be a part of it but games don't have nearly the rep they'd need for the Grammys.
>>
>>386124725
the game sells well, the composer gets paid for his work, and he gains more recognition now than before. that's satisfying enough for them.
>>
>>386124725
That's the worst vocalized song in the game.

Last Surprise, Beneath the Mask, Life Will Change are all better.
>>
>>386124725
Because it's shitty meme music?

>japanese sings engrish trash
>weeaboo retard overrates it as a masterpiece
>>
>>386125046
she's Korean actually
>>
>>386124725
Probably because music and video games are seperate hobbies. Music critics and award show people probably don't play video games to notice the tracks. Likewise game composers don't seem to go out of their way to get recognised by music critics and award show people
>>
>>386125046
>implying the most popular and recognized music nowadays aren't memes
>implying vidya music is somehow worse, because it's not an "independent" composition
>>
>he doesn't exclusively listen to late '80s jazz fusion

Care to explain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOrPtMh-9w
>>
>>386124958
I think Journey is the only video game to get nominated for that award plus an album or OST has to be submitted to them, so it's probably on the devs who don't give a shit
>>
>>386124725

Many reasons:

- It's a game song
- too 'japanese-y' for most americans
- in a japanese game

The sooner you understand that all awards are popularity contests and not quality contests, the better you'll feel.
>>
>>386124725
literally who? maybe it's not unique
>>
>>386125242
>so it's probably on the devs who don't give a shit
true true
>>
The instrumental version that they played during the reveal trailer was better.
>>
>>386124725
Any attempt to make the Academy Awards of video games was a colossal failure with rampant nepotism and a clear Western bias. So exactly like the Academy Awards

It's better this way.
>>
>>386125350
>>386124997
Correct.
>>
File: 1500595573812.png (598KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
1500595573812.png
598KB, 500x800px
>>386125269
>The sooner you understand that all awards are popularity contests and not quality contests, the better you'll feel.
dat true desu
>>
>>386125305
Also if you look at music awards as like overglorified marketing, devs have no reason to send it to them as even if the soundtrack were to get nominated it probably wouldn't bring much attention to the game itself
>>
>>386125413
>It's better this way.

>get millions of views
>get nothing in return because all your"""fans""" pirate your music for free
>>
>>386125508
nice assumption anon
>>
>>386125508
>>386125413

Not better this way, but I'm sure the creator is happy he gets to make music for a living and that his music is at least appreciated by the fan base. He won't get rich with videogame music, but he'll most likely not ever be out of work.
>>
Nier Automata OST made into the billboard top 25 at 15#.
That's something.
>>
>>386125508
>>get millions of views
>>get nothing in return because all your"""fans""" pirate your music for free

Unlike whatever artist the kids listen to right now a composer gets paid for their work. A composer is hired.
>>
>>386125160
>implying the most popular and recognized music nowadays aren't memes

To Pimp a Butterfly is literally one of the best albums released in the last 20 years
>>
>>386125668
not really, the charts don't mean shit anymore
>>
>>386125508
If there were any kind of award the song wouldn't win anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Academy_Games_Awards#2015
>>
Persona soundtrack is Shoji Meguro weakest work.
Every other smt game had a better soundtrack than shitsona games.
>>
>>386124725
Civ songs did win awards. Videogame music can win awards if it is actually a musical achievement, it's just that most videogame music sucks and only losers and nerds with no actual music taste listen to it.
>>
>>386125726
I'm sure he's not talking about Kendrick. Besides, millions of views don't mean shit, pop songs on youtube get hundreds of million of views, sometimes billions.
>>
>>386125662

>millions of free downloads pay for the composer's bills, food and rent costs
>>
>>386125840
Thats why it never gets mentioned except for asshurt SMT fans
>>
>>386126182
>being an absolute retard
>>
>>386124725
I assume most sites have a music category for their GotY awards.
>>
>>386124725
They did
Civilization 4 theme won many awards, Jeremy soule and many others
In japan gust team until 2010 got rewards constantly, falcon and horizon get theirs even now
But garbage you posted is just generic anime music without any worth
Very cheap made and aimed on the lowest trash
I for example dislike #fe songs with vocals and lyrics being shit, but quality of music itself was very high
when Thorin struck his harp the music began all at once, so sudden and sweet that Bilbo forgot everything else, and was swept away into dark lands under strange moons, far over The Water and very far from his hobbit-hole under The Hill.
>>
>>386126357
>generic anime music

Jazz is objectively superior to whatever 4 chord plebian progressions you westerns are drip fed with
>>
>>386126493
Yes... filthy westerners don't know the first thing about jazz. Like where it was made.
>>
>>386126493
>jazz
No, it's jpop that was made to sound kinda like jazz
Because you don't know shit about music you obviously can't tell difference
>>
>>386125168
Ayy, my man. Need to find more jazz music to relax to, or just 80s music in general. Any recommendations?
>>
>>386126656

>persona 5 music is generic high pitched J-pop

please kill yourself before you embarrass yourself anymore
>>
I hope you are joking. you already know why western society doesn't give a shit about video game music since your experience is (ostensibly) from this point of view. japan's video game (and anime) consumers and producers benefit from a virtuous cycle where fans are devoted to the media they like, and creators can put out more material because the fans will buy it. your example is the composer for the fucking persona series, do you really think he isn't well known by fans of the series? is "winning an award" the only way of recognition that makes sense to you?
>>
>>386125668
It hit #15 on the movie soundtrack chart, not that big of a deal
>>
>>386127336
>you already know why western society doesn't give a shit about video game music

i'm curious, why doesn't western society like video game music?
>>
>>386127384
Does that make Yoko Taro the greatest movie director of all time?
He playfully achieved the milestone Kojima can only dream of.
>>
>>386127409
western society only cares about the artists, not the actual music. see how many people care about justin biebers looks than his music.
>>
>>386127409
They do, and video games music gets awarded
He just mad because his garbage generic anime shut from niche series isn't recognized by anyone with taste, even in japan
>>
>>386127523
ngl his latest album was pretty good
>>
>>386124725
>posts this on /mu/
>gets BTFO
>posts on /v/
>it's all persona 5 retards who don't know who Meguro is
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.