[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: Heroes-of-Newerth-Logo.jpg (71KB, 920x500px) Image search: [Google]
Heroes-of-Newerth-Logo.jpg
71KB, 920x500px
>superior engine (responsiveness, graphics/animation, turn rates, etc)
>faster, more dynamic gameplay

yet LoL and DotA 2 blew it the fuck out.
>>
>>386086501
Playerbase was the most vile and toxic I've ever experienced
>>
Absolute retards who thought a pay to play clone of dota would ever be popular over a free to play clone of dota.
>>
>Uninteresting character designs that completely lack appeal and as a result do not grab people's attention and make them want to play

GEE I FUCKING WONDER
>>
it looked like shit and was balanced like shit
also everyone was mad all the time, including the devs
>>
>>386086730
But DotA 2 is even worse than HoN in that regard, DotA 2's color palette is fucking awful
>>
>>386086647
but that was the best part
>you will never initate a votekick on someone on your team just because they have the lowest MMR and succeed
>>
File: Heroes-of-Newerth.jpg (172KB, 820x461px) Image search: [Google]
Heroes-of-Newerth.jpg
172KB, 820x461px
>>386087148
Dota is all washed out but it's better than this.
>>
>>386087393
You mean nice, clean, crisp colors, that are well saturated and makes it very obvious where the bad shit is?

Everything blends together in DotA 2 because of the wash out.
>>
Mobas are trash to begin with. A shiner turd remains a turd. All the flies gather to the shittiest turd.
>>
File: 158108601.jpg (332KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
158108601.jpg
332KB, 1600x1000px
>>386086501
>Shit hero design
>Probably the worst voice acting in a genre where decent voice acting is a requirement
>That entire post-beta shit, especially EARLY ACCESS LUL
>Nearly every single hero not taken from Dota was absolute shit, with a couple of 'broken clock' heroes that were not too bad
>The moment Icefrog left for Valve the game went to shit gameplay design wise

S2 were incompetent devs who were given the golden goose named Icefrog. That dude is a legit fucking genius and is smarter than every AAA developer in the industry. As soon as he left for greener pastures S2's incompetence sent them straight down the shitter.
>>
>>386086501
HoN costed $30
League was free

no discussion needed
>>
>>386087578
>crisp
>everything has bloom out the ass
>>
>>386087714
>Icefrog
>S2

how fucking retarded?

also, HoN only died because of full retardation and greedy decisions of breaking a very small and fragile community into 3-4 pieces.

I got so fucking mad when they sold my account to that shit axeso5 and kicked us out of NA servers
>>
>>386088061
Some of the devs have straight up admitted Icefrog helped them out during the beta. It's not even uncommon knowledge really.
>>
>>386088061
Get fucked Hueho, you were the biggest cancer on the NA servers.
>>
>>386087714
I agree Icefrog was a major help, but I find it hard to believe S2 developed by far the best MOBA engine in existence because of one guy. If anything he was involved in hero development/balance early on.

Icefrog left but HoN did very well up until 3-4 years ago when major players began to leave for DotA 2 (bigger monetary rewards).
>>
File: 1494927143729.jpg (15KB, 244x284px) Image search: [Google]
1494927143729.jpg
15KB, 244x284px
>>386086501
>What went wrong?
Everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j1BQ7XFjLw
>>
>more toxic than all other mobas combined
>at the time it was a pay to play moba against the LoL f2p
>very dark artstyle that some would find unappealing

HoN was dead long before Dota2 was a thing
>>
>>386086501
It cost money whereas LoL was free, and it wasn't presented as a port of DotA but as its own thing.
>>
>>386087148
No way dude. Characterization of the characters and art design (especially some of the subtler aspects of the map's visual design) are the only good things Valve contributed to Dota.
>>
S2 heroes were a balance nightmare even though some of them PUPPET MASTER where fun as fuck
I remember Nymphora in particular was a queer ass pick, literally infinite mana healer made laning against them a fucking chore
>>
>>386087578
the fuck are you talking about? the color balance on that image is so bad
>>
>>386086501
>What went wrong?
matchmaking shat on it
back then finding a game was part of the game as you find a good side to shat on noobs or avoid a shit party.

but oh no, the casuals want MM engine ´coz they are too lazy to find a good pub.
>>
>>386087148
>>386087393
>these fags actually believe LoL has better character design than DOTA

Fucking EL EM AY OH
>>
It was the superior game and ironically, it still IS, because it's not dead at all. It's pretty fucking fun to play as.

Thing is that S2 Games are complete fucking retards in the upper management. Codemonkeys are really good but Maliken is an imbecile.
>>
File: 1426823029128.png (222KB, 1011x1049px) Image search: [Google]
1426823029128.png
222KB, 1011x1049px
Game was mostly great until S2 just started shitting out broken fucking heroes every few weeks, shit like Silhouette, Ra, Gemini (rememebr the Gemini bug? lmfao) were absolutely retarded and disgusting compared to their earlier unique heroes like Bombardier and Chipper.

Game was really fun before that though, probably THE game that had the absolute most bants of all time, so much so that they literally added in unique taunts that would turn your opponent into a fucking crying baby or drop a dumpster on them and shit.
>>
>>386086501
LoL won because it was F2P. Then Dota 2 won because it had the Valve following behind it and the existing DotA playerbase that was already larger than HoN's.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.