[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>play a jrpg >enjoy the story, characters are cool and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: jrpgs.jpg (259KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
jrpgs.jpg
259KB, 1280x720px
>play a jrpg
>enjoy the story, characters are cool and the gameplay is interesting
>hit a brick wall
>have to grind for 10000000000000000 hours until i can progress
i hate this shit, why does every jrpg have this?
>>
But most of them AREN'T like that, it's just a meme.
>>
File: bait_maybe.jpg (397KB, 827x1223px) Image search: [Google]
bait_maybe.jpg
397KB, 827x1223px
>>386085985

>Chrono Trigger
>Ni no Kuni
>Dragon Quest VIII
>having to grind
>>
What? What JRPGs force you to grind?

I can name like only one or two, and I played A LOT of JRPGs.
>>
>>386086543
Persona 3
Disgaea, if you consider that a JRPG.
>>
you aren't meant to finish it in one sitting like most modern filth
>>
File: q.png (107KB, 196x258px) Image search: [Google]
q.png
107KB, 196x258px
>>386085985
>I like playing shitty chink anime
I think you know what to do.
>>
>>386085985
It's just that you're bad. There's something called strategy, you know?
>>
>>386086345
DQ8 has a tiny grind at the start to challenge the first boss
>>
>>386086619
Not really. You can't even grind in Persona 3 because your characters get tired. Unless you're willing to lose a lot of free time to grind for Tartarus because you really want to, there is no need for it, not even on hard.

In Disgaea there is 0 reason to grind unless you want to. You can EASILY finish any of the Disgaea games (the story) with 0 grind. The grind only happens if you go to Item World and other shit like that.
>>
>>386085985
I literally never had to grind when I played any Mario RPGs, Xenoblade, or Persona. What are you talking about?
>>
>>386085985
>why does every jrpg have this?
Name 10 JRPGs that have this.
>>
>>386085985
Play good RPGs like the Etrian Odyssey games where it focuses on strategy instead of numbers for difficulty
>>
>>386086345
>Ni no Kuni
I had to grind when I got the boat to compensate for party AI.
>>
>>386085985
More like
>rush the game
>don't learn the new mechanics
>get to a hard boss
>complain about it being too hard

When this happens is when I start to try those new mechanics/combos/special attacks/use items, etc.
>>
Just picked up Disgaea 5, what am I in for?
>>
>>386086619
>Persona 3
It's boring, but the Tartarus floors are mandatory. As long as you do them, you're fine.
>>
>>386085985
Have you only played JRPGs that came out before 1994?
>>
>you have to grind in JRPGs
Is this the biggest myth in gaming?
>>
>>386086852

Nah, you can even beat the first boss just with the exp you get walking to the waterfall cave. Of course you need to know what you're doing (get all the free items in town, equip them correctly and use them).

But even if you need to stop and level, it takes like 5 minutes.
>>
>>386087139
I mean, it held true for several NES, SMS, early SNES and a few Genesis RPGs, as well as the shittier PS1 games.

Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, AND Phantasy Star 1/2 all have over half an hour of grinding near the start. It's especially bad in FF1 and PS1 and it's persistent throughout DQ1 and PS2.

Remakes of DQ fixed that shit, but those other four still have mandatory grind.
>>
Playing them at all is a grind.
>>
Aside from some older games grinding really isn't a factor in most JRPGs unless you're trying to kill some crazy superboss because you've decided that you have nothing better to do. Generally fighting most encounters you come across will be more than enough to give you the levels you need to proceed. Hell, in some of them any difficulty spikes are self correcting. In FFVI I hit a loop of
>meet tough enemies that are hard to take down
>kill most of them, burn through healing resources fairly quickly
>level up a bit because of increased xp from harder mobs
>kill more, burn through less resources
>level up a few times, enemies aren't nearly as much of a problem anymore
and it was solved in about ten minutes.

On the other hand, if you're completely stonewalled by a boss because you don't understand whatever mechanics it uses, then powerleveling and brute-forcing your way through it is usually an option. I don't really see that as bad as much of a disguised difficulty option.
>>
>>386085985
Most jrpgs can be beaten without grinding if you actually play well. Hell, try to play a nonpersona SMT game and see how much grinding will help you there.
>>
>>386085985
When did "Playing the game and fighting your encounters" become synonymous with "grinding." I swear anybody who says you need to grind in a JRPG probably runs away from every battle like a fucking moron. I can only name 3 games off the top of my head that I had to grind: SMT: Strange Journey, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Earthbound. SJ is simply because of how absurdly difficult the final boss is. Mana/Evermore, especially in Mana, is because levels in spells/alchemy is the easiest way to deal with most bosses. Earthbound is literally only in the beginning of the game for the first boss, because having a single party member is rather difficult in a game that can have multiple enemies in one battle.
>>
Where did you find this picture? None of the characters that I recognize in it require grinding in the games that they represent. Only one I don't recognize is the girl(?) on the right. Looks like she's from Skies of Arcadia but idk.
>>
>>386087789
Normalfags can't deal with battle systems where you have to do things other than mash Attack, so they think they need to be 15 levels over an encounter to beat it.
>>
>>386087970
>Recognizes Tales and Eternal Sonata but not Grandia
BOI
>>
Why does every jrpg thread on /v/ suck? fuck this, I'm starting a real one.
>>
I used to stay away from JRPGs because of the whole "weebs are addicted do grinding" thing and thinking that they all required 100s of hours to complete.

Until a friend made me play Chronno Trigger and I finished it in a day. I then got into the FF series and noticed they were all also pretty straight forward. In fact I think grinding is kinda like cheesing the game, since it takes away all of the challenge in the harder fights.

Most JRPGs bosses are designed to be tackled by a party that has leveled by killing enemies en route to its lair, and not by a party that spent hours running around grinding.
>>
>>386088165
Eternal Sonata is a good game, why is that surprising?
>>
Shilling my thread, non bait OP.
>>386088768
>>
File: 309248.jpg (38KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
309248.jpg
38KB, 225x350px
>>386088702
>What is level scaling
I mean, in any well designed JRPG, you'll never get more than 5 levels on a boss before grinding on even the dungeon's strongest enemies is a waste of time. There's really no way to "cheese" the bosses.
>>
>>386089060
It's certainly a pretty game.
No way in fuck I'd call it good, though.
>>
>>386088702
>Until a friend made me play Chronno Trigger and I finished it in a day.
Chrono Trigger was also the first JRPG I ever finished. I honestly feel like I cheated myself a bit by finishing it first because the ending just put an honest-to-god dumbass smile on my face until the credits rolled and no other JRPG has quite been just as satisfying to finish.
>>
if you have to grind for a boss 95% of time it's either because you're a brainlet and can't put together even the simplest of strategies or you ran away from every other encounter like a retard
>>
>>386089173
>in any well designed JRPG
This constitutes maybe 3% of JRPGs. Maybe.

You seriously underestimate how shit the design of the average JRPG is.
>>
>>386086852
Play the 3DS version and get the boomerang. You will walk right though the first boss.
>>
>>386089201
Yeah, the story and characters were pretty bad overall, but the gameplay was extremely enjoyable. The shadow/light system was really cool, and bosses in that game were actually pretty difficult. .
>>
File: 1500342427612.jpg (29KB, 493x435px) Image search: [Google]
1500342427612.jpg
29KB, 493x435px
>>386085985
I'm at this point with FFX thanks to Seymour Flux. Fuck this fucking boss. I've gone through the game with no problems, but now I literally can't beat this guy.

It doesn't help that all the guides assumed that I've grinded for fucking centuries.
>>
>>386089390
A decent amount of games require some degree of grind for the first proper boss - Final Fantasy 9 for example expects you to be at level 10 or so for Gizmaluke when it dumps you into the world at level 3 or so. Even if you know to use a tent on it, you won't be able to survive a single hit without grinding more than you'd naturally kill on your way there.
>>
>>386089769
As a kid I got stuck on the airship post-Home. Nowhere to grind and I was severely underleveled. Had to restart.
>>
>>386085985
souinds like someone needs to git fucking gud. i literally never grinded in any jrpg
>>
>>386090032
>I have never played FFX

Thanks for your worthless opinion.
>>
File: wha_mou.gif (924KB, 598x296px) Image search: [Google]
wha_mou.gif
924KB, 598x296px
>>386090104

Are you saying someone has to grind in Final Fantasy X?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.