[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dwarf Fortress

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_9483.png (99KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9483.png
99KB, 1024x576px
Ok /v/ after years of seeing it on here I'm going to play Dwarf Fortress. Any tips you can give to a first time player?

Also Dwarf Fortress thread.
>>
>>386033403
You need full guide even to start new game.
>>
>>386033670
Damn. I created my world last night but I haven't started Dwarf Fortess mode yet. If I recall it had like something of a little over 150 years of history.
>>
File: IMG_9484.jpg (100KB, 780x635px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9484.jpg
100KB, 780x635px
>>
>>386033403
You need to be in the highest level of autism to enjoy this game, as it requires you to look at pure code and imagine your guy doing shit.
>>
Fuck Dwarf Fortress. I'm not going to play this shit until Toady fixes the FPS problem
>>
File: 1434085580107.png (698KB, 2022x9691px) Image search: [Google]
1434085580107.png
698KB, 2022x9691px
>>386033403
Find a youtube guide you can follow for a while to find your feet and keep a tab of the wiki open.Anything specific you need to figure out consult the wiki.
Take your time and don't worry bout your first few fortresses being perfect. It's likely you will lose a few to invasions/tantrum spirals till you know what ya doing.
Also don't let elves push you around.
>>
File: dwarf_fortress.jpg (424KB, 1760x906px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf_fortress.jpg
424KB, 1760x906px
>>386033403
Get Lazy Newb Pack if the ASCII freaks you out.

It's more complicated than it looks, once you past the hieroglyphics that is the game then it will be like any other game.

The game is known for it's details, learn to look at the history, reports, and combat very often, its rewarding and often gruesome if your into that stuff.

Also, if you want to have a more [fun] time playing, then start the world at an early year, as all the mythical creatures like dragons and collosi spawn at the start of the world.

Lastly, don't mess with aquifers if you don't know what your doing.

That's all I could think of for now, check the wiki for any more info, even some vets of the game reference it once in a while.
>>
>>386035505
Thanks for the tips! I was considering using a graphics or UI mod to help but I didn't know how much of a casual this would mark me as. I love games that are deeply detailed and I think that's whats driven me to start playing it. It has more depth and detail then any other game I've seen.
>>
>>386035260
>Also don't let elves push you around

The only good elf is a dead one. That's how I plan on playing.
>>
>>386035505
>>386037803
I'd recommend you try out ASCII at first, just giving it a chance
It really is far easier once you get used to it
It's pretty fun but the game is honestly quite easy, the real fun comes from setting challenges and goals for yourself
>>
>>386038217
I see. For the beginning party that sets out is there a good setup for how you should have them skill wise or does not really matter in the grand scheme of things?
>>
>>386034282
Stop lying on the internet
>>
>>386038525
It's actually more important than most things, up there with where you decide to plant your fortress
You'll want a miner and a woodcutter, with a pick and a battleaxe for them to use
Then you probably want a dedicated carpenter and mason, and a planter/grower
Then you can get a combat focused dwarf if you are in a hostile area, but that isn't truly required if you're able to move all your shit inside quickly

Only really the Miner & Woodcutter with their equipment are truly required
>>
>>386035260
>the bottom of the image with hordes of monsters and demon's coming from the depths to slaughter

Shit like that is why I love the concept of this game. That at any point you could dig into something that unleashes pure chaos.
>>
>>386039318
Thanks for the tip anon. Screencapped your post for later when I play.
>>
File: t5SuPzJ.jpg (27KB, 599x337px) Image search: [Google]
t5SuPzJ.jpg
27KB, 599x337px
>>386033403
It's Slaves to armok god of blood II, god dammit!
>>
>>386038525
The lazy noob pack already has those preset iirc.
Its a bit tricky with the job points since you can set yourself up in many different ways there.
But you could always google it.
And don't do >>386038217 because starting ASCII is just unnecessary since you're gonna switch anyway. If anything, check it out later. No reason trying to figure the game out and figuring the graphics out at the same time.

I'd also recommend googling "getting started with Dwarf Fortress" at one point, which is an e-book thats good as ressource to have.
>>
>>386039653
>since you're gonna switch anyway
what a retarded assumption.Just because your incapable of playing with ASCII doesn't mean you should force others to as well. Most tilesets look muddy and are hard to read, ASCII is only hard because you have to memorize letters.
>>
>>386039653
>>386039853
No need to argue anons. I did see a few graphics mods and I even saw a 3d visualizer called Armoks vision. Don't know if any of you have experience with those but I was curious.
>>
Your strength has been broken.
>>
If you stick with it for a few days, the alien UI will become muscle memory. Once you have that down, it becomes a fun ant farm to watch.
>>
>>386041859
No u
>>
>>386039572

Speaking of that, what the hell is slaves to armok 1?
>>
>>386043636
It's an open-world experience the likes of which are long forgotten. You can do stuff like teleporting your own brain out of your skull, killing yourself instantly.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.