[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Overwatch really that good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14

You can't lie, the game was pretty much built from the ground up to be a TF2-killer, and it was definitely successful at completely murdering the Youtube TF2 community. The only problem is, TF2 is fucking timeless, and Overwatch just feels like a dying fad. So, /v/ is Overwatch just gonna die like a fad, or is it just as good as TF2?
>>
still going strong from what I'm seeing.

Fairly regular events keep people interested, along with new releases and patches. Plus the core gameplay is pretty fun.

I haven't heard of anyone that's not in the third world still playing TF2
>>
>>386028428
The events this year are basically just re-releases of last year events.
>>
TF2 only had 9 classes but i had way more hours clocked in on a single class because each class had way more depth to them.

OW has variety and polished characters but the mechanics are so 2 dimensional and safe it hurts. In TF2, the difference between a novice soldier to an expert soldier was night and day.
>>
>>386028428

>3+ minute que times just for a quickplay game
>Still going strong

If you like waiting and dealing with retards like you work in a nursing home then sure buy it.
>>
no, gets dull after like 50 hours
>>
>>386028346
I actually went back and play tf2 every blue moon because of this game. Its honestly amazing how much more nuanced the 9 classes in tf2 are compared to OWs cooldown slogged heroes. Tf2 isnt even the most itricare shooter I've ever played. So it makes sense to me that most of my friends that play OW mostly play mobas or are vbloggers on youtube.
>>
>>386028346
valve killed tf2 and overwatch simply took over its spot in the niche of team based long ttk fps since people didnt want to play tf2 in the current state after playing it for years

overwatch WAS fun, but it gets laborious to play with how stale each match is and characters themselves have too many braindead hand holding mechanics
>>
>>386029671
blame blizz programmers. Those retards can't make a matchmaking algorithm to save their lives. Doesn't help that all the higher up devs and managers have no technical experience.
>>
3/5 playing alone.
4.5/5 with pals.
>>
File: 1446428289951.jpg (9KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1446428289951.jpg
9KB, 125x125px
DAILY "I HATE OVERWATCH" THREAD
>>
>>386028346
Last season I did the ten matches to get Master rank but now I can't even be bothered. Balance is atrocious and the playerbase is terrible even by the extremely low standards of multilayer games like this. Doomfist being shit and the recycled events just sealed the deal. TF2 is still pretty bad, but a better game overall.
>>
>>386028428
>still going strong from what I'm seeing.

I have 7 friends who all stopped playing including me.
It's hardly going ''strong''.

Go ahead and call my evidence anecdotal when it takes you several minutes to find 11 other players when it only takes me literally one second to find 99 other players in PUBG. ;)
>>
>>386028346
>TF2 is fucking timeless
TF2 characters are mostly blank archetypes we can project onto. Much better for memes.

Overwatch characters have too much personality.
>>
>>386032774
the game is designed so that the ability to carry your team is almost impossible yet the ability to fuck up and screw over your team is quite high. Terrible design for a competitive game.

Also I love that people still argue its an fps, it's a fucking moba
>>
>>386033031
>I can't play any heroes that require aim :(
>>
>>386028538
Competetive Lucio ball + new legendary Skins
>>
>>386028346
It got 30 million players OP, what do you think?
>>
>>386034570
>overwatch relies on aim
Wheres that fucking comp pickrate pic with 0 mcree and 0 widow.
>>
its not, boring meta, OP, annoying brainless heroes with skillceiling low enough that a chimp would play them effectively, mmr decay that makes the game an absolute fucking chore to play, competitive seasons which make you play placement matches every few months for literally no reason, terrible balancing with many heroes being simple meme-tier and anyone who picks those objectively lowers the chances of your team winning and should kill themselves, 2CP is pure fucking cancer and anyone who enjoys it needs to be tossed into a woodchipper, ... the list doesn't end
>>
File: 1495806405316.jpg (81KB, 363x483px) Image search: [Google]
1495806405316.jpg
81KB, 363x483px
>>386034671
*30 million registered accounts
That include accounts made in the open beta, free weekends, banned accounts, smurf accounts, inactive accounts, and Chinese internet cafe accounts.
Overwatch doesn't have as many players as Blizzard wants you to think there are.
>>
Isn't it really slowing down now?
Alot of the bigger ecelebs have been saying very negative things about it recently and alot of the fanbase seems to be moving. I just opened battle.net yesterday most of the guys I played with haven't been on for almost a week.
>>
Both TF2 and Lawbreakers are better than Overwatch
>>
>>386028346
>youtube tf2 community

meanwhile, tf2 player numbers are untouched, and overwatch is dying rapidly since it's fun for a handful of hours

>take a fps
>remove the ability to dominate, which you can do as any class in TF2
>force reliance on teammates
>add babymode skills

congratulations you took the point of FPS out of FPS. It's garbage. The game also doesn't play anythign like TF2 so it's stupid as fuck to compare them like everyone always does
>>
Top 10 console player here, game is completely dead at the top end on ps4. Nothing but smurfs and throwers everywhere.

Although to be honest the PC community isn't doing much better these days at GM level.
>>
It get's boring after a while
>>
Can I respond using a question OP?
When has anyone on /v/ ever claimed that Overwatch was actually an honest to G-d good game? 90% of the threads are blatant waifuposting, 5% are people pretending it's a very skill based E-sport and the other 5% are blizz shills.
>>
>>386029671

>3+ minute que times just for a quickplay game

What? The only time I've seen this happen is if you're playing in the middle of the night with a full team of 6. My queue times are more like 30 seconds-1 minute.
>>
>>386033031
it's good design for a competitive game, bad design for casually playing a competitive game

it's less of an FPS than TF2 or any real FPS though absolutely. it's more of an fps than paladins/gigantic though
>>386036606
>console
yeah no shit, half of the people in top 500 on consoles are using mouse+keyboard and it's considered "cheating"
>>386028538
halloween>>>>>>xmas>dogshit>other holiday events
>>
>>386034643
>this is a new interesting refreshing update to nu/v/
>0 new gameplay mechanics
>>
File: 1501604405886.gif (1MB, 276x260px) Image search: [Google]
1501604405886.gif
1MB, 276x260px
I quit because of the terrible balance
Half of the roster is unplayable, quarter of it is niche, and the other is mandatory
It also doesn't help the fact that the community is absolute cancer and Blizzard is addressing this by making the report system increadibly abuseable
Now if choose anything non meta you are guanteed to get reported and banned by a wave of turbo-autists
>>
>>386028346
The gameplay and maps are shit, compared to other FPS games OW feels like shit
>>
Well, when I get bored with Overwatch I definitely don't want to play TF2, valve ruined that shit
>>
>>386037291
There is "unplayable" characters in GM just play whoever you want and just have fun. I have a second account where i just play hanzo and i haven't been banned
>>
>>386031327

TF2 is dead maymay is so old an unfounded

but don't let it stop you from basing your entire argument on it
>>
>>386036961
well you play at shit elo congrats, some of us have to deal with constant 3-5 minute queues because it cant find good enough players, then after 5 minutes it just puts us in the game with shitters anyway
>>
>>386032842
Im not you, but I wanted to add that I also have 5 friends who all gave up on OW like two months after release. Was fun to begin with, but got incredibly stale, incredibly fast.
Such a casual fucking shitfest
>>
There's two things that I don't dig about Overwatch:

>lore and characterization
It does nothing for me. It feels pretty generic and safe. Many of the characters are clichéd or hackneyed. Any time the universe takes itself seriously is really saccharine or cheesy. It's a million miles away from the absurd snark of TF2, which is inherently more appealing to me.

>gameplay is heavily team-focused
Honestly, that's probably fantastic in an e-sports context. But when I'm playing solo queue ranked matches, my ability to perform feels inherently tethered to my team-mates. There's only so much I can do alone. It's not like you could absolutely wreck a team 1 v 5 in TF2, but I feel much more ineffectual in terms of my ability to meaningfully change the tide of a battle alone. If I had friends that I could voice chat with, who understood positioning and team composition and the like, I'd probably have a lot more fun. As it stands, I'm hoping that someone picks tank instead of instalocking Hanzo.
>>
File: 1476632055190.png (14KB, 492x490px) Image search: [Google]
1476632055190.png
14KB, 492x490px
>>386028346
The problem is that Overwatch takes a fucking ungodly amount of time to make new content (why the fuck does a AAA studio with a 40 dollar entry fee AND lodsamone from loot box horse shit take longer than F2P games?) and when it finally comes out it fucking sucks. All the post-launch heroes have really weak character designs too, the main cast is well-designed and has lots of recognizable silhouettes but the post-launch cast is either extremely bland or just fucking ugly.
>Ana
easily the best post-launch hero, unique spin on healer mechanics while also being offensively strong but not too strong. Not much bad to say about Ana except that most people play her extremely badly because she actually requires skill. She's shit as a solo healer though, and lots of sniperfags see "No Healers" and then pick fucking Ana.
>Sombra
Just what the fuck is this shit? Her design is atrocious, all of her skins are atrocious, and nothing about her is useful or satisfying, she provides nothing for the team. All she can do is sneak behind enemy lines and assassinate like one guy before being noticed and dying. Hacking medkits is utterly worthless, worst character by far.
>Orisa
Looks hideous and has a moveset that's just an amalgamation of other movesets but doesn't do anything exceptionally. Shitty character, atrociously boring.
>Doomfist
At least they finally tried something interesting but I can't see him being useful. Unless you are really good he's worthless in teamfights, only good at quickly picking off somebody that doesn't see him. Shitty "Gotcha!" character. His shotgun fist feels horrible and seems like they half-assed their melee character so they still needed to give him a shitty gun.
>>
File: 1497910537231.jpg (103KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1497910537231.jpg
103KB, 600x450px
>>386037365
overwatch was barely out a year before blizzard made it a shit game with their balancing.

i hyped up overwatch as the new tf2. so did a lot of people. now a lot of people are realising overwatch is really shit. it's a shit teambased arena shooter. it completely fails as an esport and is bland as fuck at a competitive level. what a fucking mess!

good thing though is that all the shit tier youtubers got outed as being money grubbing whores selling their souls to the blizzard jew to get more views. because now they are stuck playing a shit game for their income and there's nothing they can do to change that.
>>
>>386038678
>sombra provides nothing for the team
>can't see doomfist being useful
>orisa boring and shitty

plat in the chat
>>
>>386038678
>>Orisa
this character literally confirmed that blizzard is out of ideas. they've run out of moba stuff to try and implement in an fps. moba abilities can go fucking crazy, i could list a ton of great abilities in dota 2 that would never be viable in an fps.

most fps devs would balance a game around, i dunno, the fucking weapons? the things you actually spend most of the fucking game shooting with? instead of these lame as fuck abilities. an basically every movement mechanic in the game boils down to an ability rather than a skill that you can gradually improve on.

it's such a stale experience and i'm not surprised it's popular with the minecraft generation
>>
>>386038678
>She's shit as a solo healer though
But that's wrong. If you grenade people you have the highest burst healing of any support, and you can pick people back up from across the map. Git gud.

What makes her shit right now is her lack of mobility. When the enemy team dives her she is just dead unless her team has her back. Dive comp needs to die already.
>>
>>386039504
it already is dying

two weeks from now when doomfist is a regular pick at GM/top500/tourney play, dive might still be viable but will absolutely not be king anymore
>>
File: 1501260506168.jpg (120KB, 781x684px) Image search: [Google]
1501260506168.jpg
120KB, 781x684px
>>386038926
>blizzard balancing
>nerf roadhog to death, a character with literally ZERO use in high level play because shitter casuals whine about him constantly
>utterly destroy his sole purpose, grabbing high-mobility squishies and eliminating them, now he grabs them, shoots them, then they get away and he accomplished nothing
>realize that roadhog is ruined
>give him a new, weird buff to turn him into a more traditional tank that's utterly worthless because he still can't defend anyone but himself instead of just backpedaling on the nerf
I loved Roadhog and this shit has made me utterly lose faith in Blizzard.
>>
>>386039760
i envy you, because it sounds like you haven't experienced blizzard balance before overwatch
>>
>>386039672
If anything, Doomfist will be a new staple in dive, instead of maybe Genji. Dive will probably be stronger than ever.
>>
>>386038926

Happens to all Blizzard games. Most people who have self-respect realize they're shit, but their games still have twitch streamers and youtubers who play it religiously for the money with an audience that laps it all up. Blizzard games are good for the first 1-2 months, but there's no greater gaming hell than being duped into grinding MMR in a blizzard game.
>>
>>386039829
Yeah, OW is the first Blizz game I've really played. I don't like MMORPGs, RTS, or Diablo.
>>
>>386039842
doomfist is shit in a dive comp, especially vs zarya/rein combo. he's much better against it than with it
>>
>>386039760

Yeah but their data and community forums said Roadhog was overpowered. Even though virtually no one complained about him in high level games and the call to push a choke when a hook was missed is about the only time a thing like counterplay existed in comp. Now it's "dive x", "dive y", "use ultis" and see who comes out of the particle effect tornado alive.
>>
It's a moba. It's bad.
>>
>>386036983
thats terrible design becausre it actively lowers player agency and the level of player nuance associated with the game. this is something thats harder for people to understand because they lack the skill enough to get to that point. they act like ow is team play centric when thats true of any 6vs6. Having a high skill ceilling also allows for a greater chance that players can mess up or excel, when you look at grand master vs master in OW is completely different than say looking at someone whos lv 12 in dirty bomb or QC and someone whos lv 40+ or plat.

OW is frustrating because its onherent in design to lower the ability for a player to excel because of the rigid cooldown and counter system. This also with the amount of flashy shot going everywhere is why watching it is just fucking unfun. In comparison:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v7ksSd_1yUo

to

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dT8fw3sv1WM
>>
>>386034983
Mercy mains crying for more buffs meanwhile callig dps trash
Dva mains thinking theyre so good because they have a panic button to get away

YET, EVERYONE COMPLAINS ABOUT SCATTER ARROW BC REDDIT
>>
>>386040073
no it's a retarded amalgamation of a moba and an fps with none of the redeeming features from either genre.
>>
>>386028346
overwatch is "good" but for me its only went so far. its a pretty repetitive cluster fuck that loses its wonder eventually. between the community and the redundant game play 'im burnt out on it. they need to add like 5 more viable heroes before we see any major shift in the game or interesting strats. maybe ill pick it back up down the line but for right now i'm pretty much done with it.
>>
>>386029671

What? I solo quick play on console and get 45 seconds, most.
>>
>>386040049
>community forums

Let me just openly say that the forums is run by dumbass 10 year olds, and the mods dont do shit about anything unless the dev team suddenly shows up for damage control when theres a surge of quitters to save their game. Like last week when all the twitch streamers quit
>>
File: 9000 hours in dad beach.jpg (556KB, 849x849px) Image search: [Google]
9000 hours in dad beach.jpg
556KB, 849x849px
>>386034671
It's registered users dude.

A marketing strategy is to make infographics about the top player numbers when the peak is going down, it helps reducing the dropdown.
>>
File: 1484187488363.png (913KB, 1280x1176px) Image search: [Google]
1484187488363.png
913KB, 1280x1176px
>>386040121

>YET, EVERYONE COMPLAINS ABOUT SCATTER ARROW BC REDDIT

Hoo boy would you love /owg/ on /vg/.
>>
>>386040023
>Rein vs dive
????
>>
>>386034765
McCree has pissbaby damage and Widow is not viable in any situation

Nothing to do with aim
>>
>>386037945

He said quickplay you tard
>>
File: ine_n5x3ktSKdi1sw2ah1.gif (457KB, 400x219px) Image search: [Google]
ine_n5x3ktSKdi1sw2ah1.gif
457KB, 400x219px
>>386028346
>Is Overwatch really that good?

The game can be best summed up in two words; wasted potential.
>>
>>386034983
>with skillceiling low enough that a chimp would play them effectively

Do you not know what a skill ceiling is you fuckin mook
>>
>>386040161
You can put a pig in lipstick but it will always be a pig.
>>
>>386037951
>i quit because it was my teammates who sucked and not me
>>
>>386033031
Indeed. It's like an even worse version of League.
>>
>>386040364
Winston, Lucio, and Dva are the top picks in comp and each have braindead kits with minimal aiming skill.
>>
>>386039760
>nerf roadhog to death, a character with literally ZERO use in high level play because shitter casuals whine about him constantly

Roadhog is still fine you fucking babies
The fact that his FR and ammo is higher now doesn't change anything unless your a shoot and stab cunt
>>
>>386040456
What he said could make perfectly sense if he means that both the floor and ceiling is low. In other words to play them at max potential requires very little time and effort.
>>
>>386040550
What about 76 or Genji? What about Mei?

You cherrypicked a healer and two tanks
>>
>>386032842
>>386037951
Same here. Friends and I didn't last longer than a couple months. Had potential due to it's polish but damn if the game is stupid in how fucking casual it is. Aiming does not matter as a skill at all.
>>
>>386028346
>Koreans have stopped giving a shit.
>people are fucking sick of the way Blizzard balances things.

True facts they're bleeding players and they're going to an even worse pile of shit.
>>
>>386040120
it's the definition of team play centric if you can throw easier than you can carry

it's not about letting someone excel, it's about letting someone hoist a game that involves 12 people. also if you're using quake champions as a good example of "watchable esports" then LOL
>>386040328
koreans were running him against dive in that junkrat comp already before, and doomfist just replaces roadhog in the older comp that was being used against dive before they fucked up reinhardy
>>
>>386036606
>dying rapidly meme
>implying TF2 hasn't hemmorraged players for 3 years at an alarming rate
>muh registered accounts
Incorrect, Overwatch is huge, despite it being shit
TF2's daily player count is a shadow of what it was, and it continues to go down, at this point I'm convinced the only thing keeping it alive is the unusual market.
>>
>>386040121
because it's a bullshit skill, and furthers the idea that blizzard has no brainpower going towards really balancing the game

if the problem with roadhog, the least mobile, most ult feeding, noisiest character in the fucking game, is that he can one shot people, why isn't it a problem that hanzo can literally one shot a fucking zarya with his meme arrow skill?
>>
>>386041157
how can you lose players at an "alarming rate" for three years
there would be 0 players well before 3 years
>>
>>386041157
tf2 is shit, but you're retarded for trying to claim a bunch of nonsense about it "hemorrhaging playerbase for 3 years" when you can go to steamcharts and look at the playerbase over five and see it isn't true
>>
>>386041157
How does anybody still play tf2? I stopped playing years ago shortly after they released the retarded crafting system and all the stupid hats. How could anybody keep playing after that?
>>
>>386040120

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhaKM8mRWY0

TF2 comp matches, even though they generally have higher downtime, at least had better highlights. The highlight of a OW map is a Q press and the commentators blowing their load over those Q presses.
>>
>>386040845
You dont seem to understand my point, allowing a player to excel can change the flow of a match and allows for one player to pick up slack of another. If you honestly think you can carry in ow matches at high level goodluck. The rigid nature of counters and cooldowns make it nearly impossible for certain characters to kill others unless that person is a moron. Which isnt going to happen at higher levrl play because the games also slow as fuck so aiming is fairly easy on top of its large hitboxes.

QC is used because one toxiq rails pretty much saved the game for europe and two because of the skill ceiling of the game it was far more dynamic of a match between maps. If you honestly think qc is bad because of the core gunplay and not optimization and server issues then lol.
>>
>>386041520
anyone who isn't autistic and enjoys good online fps gameplay
>>
>watch muselk playing overwatch
>literally just fighting on a choke point for 5 minutes
>nobody is dying
>everyone is spamming everything
>when some people start dying mercy just resses them and the choke fight continues

>muselk plays tf2 in a vid
>has a ton of fun
>great to watch
>actually laugh
>>
>>386041672
What's sad is how anti fun and low skill the ults are. Instant mass rez, multiple instant queues, stuns, literal aimbots, etc.
>>
>>386044467
>watching EVO
>literally just spamming fireballs

>watching COD MLG tourney
>360 noscopes
>>
>>386040728
Yep, it's Starcraft 2 all over again. Even has the shitty matchmaking.
>>
File: 1498507115601.png (397KB, 600x508px) Image search: [Google]
1498507115601.png
397KB, 600x508px
Why is Overwatch's Capture the Flag the most fucking awful gamemode ever?
>>
>>386037236
you know a shitton of games have 0 new gameplay mechanics
what the fuck are you even trying to proof there
>>
>>386028346
It's a meme game. It's built to appeal to todays (or yesterdays, considering it was released a yer ago) fads, and will age really quickly. As far as I see it, it's already dying.
>>
>>386045139
Overwatch has a lot of problems but complaining about ultimates is nonsense. All ultimates can be easily countered.
>kill Mercy first whenever you see her
>hear McCree, Soldier, Reaper, etc activate ult, just kill them or have tank block them
every ultimate can be stopped.
>>
>>386040413
This tho. This is so fucking true.
>>
>>386045276
there are a lot of high mobility heros in the game making others not so mobile really stick out in a bad way
>>386045404
the thing with mercy is even if you kill her if the teamfight takes a bit she will just respawnrez
>>
>>386039163
not even plat, that's like, silver.
>>
>>386045404

>kill Mercy first whenever you see her

Legitimately a bad idea. She'll be back in time to mass rez.

She can also rez while standing in spawn on multiple maps.
>>
>>386045276
Because they can't design maps well and slapped the mode onto a map that was originally koth mode
>>
>>386028538
The fuck? Aren't the invasion and the Chinese new year both new?
>>
>>386045404
>the solution is just to kill her
That is literally the defense of any ultimate.
>>
File: 300px-PaladinsEvieArmor.jpg (45KB, 300x399px) Image search: [Google]
300px-PaladinsEvieArmor.jpg
45KB, 300x399px
I've only played Paladins but from what I gather they're very similar. I've played about 50 hours of it

Ultimately all the matches play out very similarly and since it's so team dependent it's pretty much a lottery whether you'll have a good or bad match. Which is why I haven't touched the ranked mode at all because I know I'd have a really bad time with the game if winning matches actually meant something

Some of the characters have fun abilities but it just gets quite repetitive. Which is a bit ironic since I play Rocket League all the time and the whole game is just about trying to put a ball somewhere. But everyone is on an even playing field so there's not so much bullshit, whereas in these games you can almost just look at the team setups and you can tell like oh the enemies have these characters and we have these so we're probably going to lose
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.