[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tacoma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 1495406916609.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1495406916609.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
I knew it was going to be bad, but god...I regret wasting 40 minutes on it.
>>
>>386016336
Is this some new SJW game?
>>
File: 0.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>fat and obese astronauts
>>
I took my sweet time with it and even then it took me only 2:40.

So in the end, did she take ODIN back to Venturis? But then why even talk to him at all? Or did she take him to Tangiers? But then what was up with that suspicious prepared message?
>>
File: brit.jpg (273KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
brit.jpg
273KB, 1280x720px
>>386018146
At least it´s another game that proves SJWs don´t buy video games and there's no point in pandering to them.
>64th in Global Top Seller ranking
>>
>>386016336
thicc
>>
So what is it about this time?
The premise is mildly interesting.
>>
>>386019343
fat acceptance in space
>>
>>386019343
In space no one can hear you REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: tragedian.jpg (357KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tragedian.jpg
357KB, 1920x1080px
I'm moderately interested in this game. Gone Home was kind of OK despite the memeing that usually gets and I liked the environmental storytelling even if the story itself was so simple and bland. I think Gaynor is a pretty talented dude, that was simply wasted in a game like GH, so I feel like Tacoma has more potential.

I don't have anything inherently against Walking Simulators, but if you're going to make one, at least make sure the story is good enough.
>>
>>386016336
>some sjw review says it's worse than gone homo

Jesus christ how horrifying
>>
>>386019829
All things considered, that's probably a good thing.
>>
>>386019778
go watch some reviews

it's literally watching holograms of fat people and reading their journals and chatlogs. Whatever talent you think the guy has, is definitely not being used
>>
>>386019778
Gone Home was not really OK, though. It was pretty fucking awful, narrative-wise. It exceptionally failed at the very environmental storytelling it so completely relies on. And in a game that is 100% about narrative, that is hardly a forgivable thing.
I'm a bit curious about Tacoma because it can't hide so much beyond the irrelevant political shroud (oh-my-god-various-body-sizes not withstanding), meaning that it has to stand on it's own legs a little more. Plus, the actual setup of the game actually makes a bit more sense and the narrative techniques, while as dull and as uninspired as ever, at least do not go directly against the premise. Though reading the reviews, it really feels like they are - once again - not actually moving anywhere or delivering anything even remotely interesting or innovative.
>>
>>386018364
It's explained in game that the station isn't exactly stocked with the cream of the crop, plus space travel has become so commonplace that it doesn't need to be. In the locker room you can see the crew's individual exercise regimens. The orange one is musclefat and the purple one is the station administrator so i guess she can afford to grow a big ass. She is a black lady after all.

>>386019343
A bit of debris hits the station, damaging the oxygen supply. The crew and the resident AI figure out how to survive. You get sent in 3 days later by the company who owns the station to recover the AI. It's mostly about the crewmembers' relationships and motivations, about whether an AI can transcend its programming, about AI rights, about whether or not you can trust corporations (this last one is handled about as evenhandedly as you'd expect). The AI stuff was most interesting to me in theory, but it wasn't handled with very much depth at all, the AI's allegiance is clear as day throughout the entire game so any tension on that front is immediately lost.

Another interesting part was the mechanic by which the story is revealed. The ship's AI records everything that happened, with the crew represented by those colored silhouettes. You can play back some of these scenes and the characters all go about their business, meaning you have to rewind several times and follow different characters to see what they're up to. Unfortunately I didn't find the characters or their issues very interesting, and even the events you are sent to investigate turn out to be pretty lame, so it felt like a waste of a potentially neat system.
>>
>>386020045
>reading reviews ever
I just look what a game is about and maybe watch a gameplay trailer (in this case "gameplay" trailer) to see if I'm interested or not. I'll make my own opinion when I play it, not letting reviewers make those choices for me because I often disagree with them.

And I mean, it's a walking simulator, it's not like I'm expecting deep mechanics anyway. Walking simulators are a very limited way of making games, but sometimes that very limitation pushes the creators into making something that fully embraces and explores that limitation to create something valuable of its own. That's basically what I'm expecting I can see someday with the genre. The Beginner's Guide is definitely the best example I've seen so far.

>>386020298
I mean, it's not flawless at all, I should've said SOME of the environmental storytelling. I really appreciate a few subtle details the game has here and there that help make the characters more believable, but again, the story is so uninteresting, it hardly helps overall.

>>386020746
Thanks for the explanation. It sound interesting, but like I expected, sounds like yet another game with some nice ideas that aren't properly developed. I'll play it anyway when it's not 20 fucking bucks jesus christ what is wrong with these guys. GH was barely a 5€ game.
>>
>>386018897
what? she is AI liberation front
she offered odin the asylum

that was so retarded I alt-f4 the thing
>>
>>386021085
>I really appreciate a few subtle details the game has
Well, I'd say the fact that it can't even establish something LOOSELY APPROXIMATING an actual fucking house - in a game ENTIRELY about snooping around what is supposed to be more-or-less an average american middle-class suburb house is such major fuck-up that there is really no coming back from that shit.

Not to mention that the narrative is entirely reliant on fucking voice-overs in the end. Like 80% of the actual narrative, all the really vital and important things - are told to you explicitly by a fucking disembodied voice spelling the shit out for you after you randomly touch a story-piece-triggering item in the world. That is actually really fucking attrocious given the actual subject matter and the major emphasis the game made on it's mundanity and ambient storytelling focus.
>>
>>386021356
you know I miss actual adventure games so much
siberia was so good, heck even deponia was great
now what we get is either walking simulator or puzzles for the sake of puzzles
I don't know what is worse, puzzles without purpose or story without puzzles
>>
>>386021325
Well yeah that's the obvious explanation but I thought that was way too obvious. So I figured maybe it was a statement Venturis prepared to make odin *think* he was getting asylum? Like I said, that doesn't make sense either though haha. Now I just feel dumb for putting even this much thought into the ending and giving the devs that much credit. I guess it also simply wouldn't do to have the Indian female astronaut MC be in league with the bad guy.
>>
>>386021356
>are told to you explicitly by a fucking disembodied voice spelling the shit out for you
could we...could we call this "gamesplaining"?
>>
>>386021551
I don't miss the puzzles at all.
What I do miss is the times when people did not think listening to voice-logs is the pinnacle of fucking storytelling in games.
Those bloody voicelongs were invented to deliver a way to provide bits of background exposition WITHOUT BREAKING THE FLOW of the fucking game. They were introduced by games such as System Shock so that player would not have to stop dead in his tracks to wait for the game to spout it's story - they were designed so that player could actually continue doing what he does in the game - exploring, sorting inventory, whatever.

What is the FUCKING POINT of them in a game where there is literally nothing else to do than scramble together pieces of exposition? And who the FUCK thought they were a good way to tell a psychological story of teenage angst and middle class narrow-mindedness? It makes zero sense: it's just completely inappropriate and senseless.

Seriously, I like System Shock and I have nothing against voice-longs in similar games, but my god have they became fucking cancer of narrative videogames lately.

>>386022120
No.
>>
File: dexter.jpg (10KB, 232x194px) Image search: [Google]
dexter.jpg
10KB, 232x194px
>>386021356
>>386022120
>>386022257

ugh you guys don't even GET it, the game is NOT about the gay teen, it's ABOUT the DAD being abused by his uncle

[I swear to god I saw several people make this argument only yesterday]
>>
>>386021356
Yeah, that to me was the worst part too. All the environmental storytelling is left for secondary stuff, all the important parts are left to audio, which felt like a wasted opportunity.

I think if they had approached the game like a graphic adventure would've been more interesting. But instead of mechanical or logical puzzles, narrative puzzles. I think that idea has some potential.
>>
>>386022582
Even if that was true (and I think it's not hard to make a text-based argument that this is untennable), that does not really change any of the legitimate issues that people have with it.

>>386022764
I think their first mistake was not actually really chosing a narrative format fitting the story, or a story fitting their narrative format. I can't really claim I can think of a way to tell this particular story, in this particular format, much better.

But I can say that I can think of a better format for this story, or a better story for this format. That is really the problem here. They want to tell a very personal, psychological story - one that has virtually no non-verbalized aspects to it. It's a story about mental distress a few people go through: about their thoughts.

But they want to tell it without dialogues? Well... it can't be. But it's also a game about lone character snooping through a HOUSE. So naturally, the necessary fucking dialogue or monologue that is basically the only way to get the mental stances of the characters across has to be unnatural forced in.

It's a doomed idea from the start.
>>
>>386022964
the only thing I get from this game is that at least one of the people involved wanted to a space/scifi game because they thought it would "glam up" the premise of something like Gone Home.

Like, Game of Thrones is basically a TV soap, except it's got dragons. Tacoma is basically Gone Home, but with fat holograms.
>>
>>386023289
>Tacoma is basically Gone Home, but with fat holograms.
Which isn't exactly bothering me. It makes a HELL of a lot more sense to set this kind of game in fucking space than to try and pull of the exact same structure in early 90's american suburbia. My real question is whenever they actually came up with stories and characters a little more worth listening to than the last time.
>>
>>386023415
they probably think they are interesting, and the same with Gone Home.

It probably doesn't help that sci-fi has covered this sort of shit 100 times over, and by better people.
>>
>>386023540
That does not sound particularly thrilling. Well... it's not like I planned on buying the bloody thing, or was in any rush to play it. I guess I'll pirate it when I'm really bored to see what it is about. I have to say, I used to find the idea of walking sims actually pretty interesting, but I'm already damn six of them anyway.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.